Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The odds here on Boris staying till 2024 should be longer – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,289
    Carnyx said:

If I had to pick an institution it is less wise to instigate a culture war with than a victorious England football team in the middle of a major tournament, it would probably be the RNLI.

Who said that please? Interested to know.
    https://twitter.com/gabrielmilland/status/1420412587989217282
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

On topic, I'll say it again, Boris Johnson's finances means being PM is very bad for him in the short term.

Surely he can just securitise his future earnings?
    Apparently he can't on ethical grounds, and given his body shape, there's no guarantee those future earnings will be realised.
    No investment is without risk

But I would have thought that lending him £500k at 8% pa interest to be repaid as a first charge on post PM earnings would be a reasonable investment
    Make it a PIK and I'd probably do it just to see Boris go bankrupt.
    Which reminds me, what happened to the CCJ registered against Boris Johnson?

His team said it would be shortly overturned but I've not seen or heard anything.

That might impact his creditworthiness.
    It got overturned as it turned out the person who requested it was a nutcase.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

On topic, I'll say it again, Boris Johnson's finances means being PM is very bad for him in the short term.

Surely he can just securitise his future earnings?
    Apparently he can't on ethical grounds, and given his body shape, there's no guarantee those future earnings will be realised.
    No investment is without risk

But I would have thought that lending him £500k at 8% pa interest to be repaid as a first charge on post PM earnings would be a reasonable investment
    Make it a PIK and I'd probably do it just to see Boris go bankrupt.
    Which reminds me, what happened to the CCJ registered against Boris Johnson?

His team said it would be shortly overturned but I've not seen or heard anything.

That might impact his creditworthiness.
    It got overturned as it turned out the person who requested it was a nutcase.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021
    Re Boris CCJ...it was sorted very quickly.

County court order against Boris Johnson struck out
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-57099607
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224

algarkirk said:

IshmaelZ said:

If I had to pick an institution it is less wise to instigate a culture war with than a victorious England football team in the middle of a major tournament, it would probably be the RNLI.

Prolly right. Can't think why, though, they have far too much money, a rep for incompetence and a clientele pretty much exclusively of middle class walkers (autocorrect but I'll leave it) who could reasonably be expected to have s&r insurance.
    The RNLI, along with Guide Dogs for the Blind, all animal welfare charities, Salvation Army, Cancer Research and Hospices are collectively an important branch of English religion.

Taking them on these days would be like (in the old days) taking on (as Macmillan said) The Brigade of Guards, the Roman Catholic Church and the National Union of Mineworkers.

The fact that Macmillan's famous words now require an extensive historical footnote shows how times change.

Wow. I know you're going for the muscular no-one-but-me-dare-say-it look but cancer charities and hospices?
    The practise in running some of the charity shops are not very... charitable....
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129

kinabalu said:

Guidance from the FA re heading in football commences in the 21/22 season

How long before it is outlawed and changes football totally

It'd be interesting - wouldn't it? - to rework the entire history of football to show how it would have been without headers.

Eg the recent Euro quarter final would have been England 1 Ukraine 0. So we'd still have got through to the semis.

But that's just one example. I bet there would be some big changes to the record books. Wouldn't surprise me if it means Arsenal get more PL titles.
    Would expect the average height of a pro footballer would drop to 5'7 ish within a decade if they actually outlaw headers. Limiting them in training is obviously very different.

Seems like a good business opportunity for one of those virtual reality headset type things to develop a heading training program that doesnt involve actual heading.
    Alternatively, footballers could be made to wear helmets?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,022
    BREAKING: Florida reports 16,038 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase since January, and 92 new deaths
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

There's been an intervention.

The likes of Farage and Grimes need to say that the RNLI should be blocked from rescuing immigrants because their preferred option is for the immigrants to drown. If they don't say that then it's moral cowardice on their part.
    Just bunged RNLI £20.

Fuck you Farage!!!
    Good idea. Just done likewise.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Carnyx said:

Sorry I missed it first time:

https://twitter.com/gabrielmilland/status/1420412587989217282?s=20
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    edited July 2021

Crikey.

Trafford General: Lightning strike sets hospital roof on fire

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-58002628

About 3 miles from me.
    I have never heard such loud thunder as I heard this lunchtime. Truly spectacular.

Interesting Trafford General fact: It was the first NHS hospital. Also: birthplace of Morrissey. Which of these God is deciding, belatedly, to express his views on I will leave up to others to decide.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Late afternoon all :)

The "People's Republic" (according to @MaxPB) gets another downpour - third or fourth this afternoon.

On topic, this isn't very difficult to figure out.

Boris Johnson will remain Conservative Party leader until he a) becomes an electoral liability and b) someone else exists who isn't and can take over.

It's debatable whether condition a) has been met - condition b) may exist in the form of Rishi Sunak but we need more polling evidence to confirm he would for example turn a 10-point Labour lead into a 10-point Conservative lead.

The Conservatives for now are in a strong polling position - whether that will be the case in 12-18 months I have no clue (and I doubt anyone else does).
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590

Carnyx said:

Sorry I missed it first time:

https://twitter.com/gabrielmilland/status/1420412587989217282?s=20
    THank you!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

Such good news, the deaf are so often ignored.

A deaf woman who complained about a lack of sign language in Covid briefings has successfully sued the Cabinet Office.

Katie Rowley, from Leeds, took the Government to the High Court, arguing that it had breached obligations to make the Downing Street broadcasts accessible to deaf people under equality legislation.

Ms Rowley, 36, who was pregnant during the pandemic, said the stress she suffered from being unable to access crucial information about the virus had impacted her pregnancy and well-being.

The actor and writer is now set to be awarded compensation after a judge agreed that the lack of British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters amounted to discrimination against her.

Ms Rowley's legal win could pave the way for hundreds of the 73,000 BSL users in England to win similar claims for damages. Chris Fry, her solicitor, is representing 350 others who argue they were affected.

Mr Justice Fordham, who handed down the ruling on Wednesday, said damages would be assessed by a judge in a county court at a later date.

Mr Fry said: "Ensuring that information is provided in an accessible format can rarely be more important than in the midst of a pandemic.

"This case has brought deaf people together in the most remarkable way to challenge the Government to do better, and to fulfil what we say are its obligations under the Equality Act. It's about time that the deaf community is 'levelled up' by this Government."

Amanda Casson-Webb, of the Royal Association for Deaf people (RAD), said: "We want to see deaf BSL users fully involved and included in every aspect of life. Deaf people should be able to access information independently and on a par with the rest of society.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/28/deaf-woman-wins-compensation-fight-against-government-lack-sign/

Why is compensation an appropriate remedy for the injury caused?
    What alternative did you have in mind? Send her some backdated transcripts? Money is the law's preferred remedy, for all sorts of reasons.
    I have a issue with people suing over shit like this.

Remedy could be a policy change or a donation to a deaf charity. Spraying money at lawyers and individuals is not relevant and creates the wrong incentives
  • Options
    New self-isolation rules from 16th Aug will also apply to household contacts: for the first time since March last year, you don't have to stay home if someone you live with tests positive for covid (if you're double jabbed).
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Queen secretly lobbied Scottish ministers for climate law exemption
    - Monarch used secretive procedure to become only person in country not bound by a green energy rule

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/28/queen-secretly-lobbied-scottish-ministers-climate-law-exemption
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Prolly right. Can't think why, though, they have far too much money, a rep for incompetence and a clientele pretty much exclusively of middle class walkers (autocorrect but I'll leave it) who could reasonably be expected to have s&r insurance.
    s&r insurance? For yachties? From whom? The AA?

Actually walkers (uncorrected) and runners ARE a significant category (falls, injuries in remote areas/islands, cut off by tide etc.) Children on play kit, fisherfolk and other professional mariners, etc. Lifeguards on beaches. And so on, not just yachties/motorboat folk and people from forrin parts.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    stodge said:

The "People's Republic" (according to @MaxPB) gets another downpour - third or fourth this afternoon.

Boris Johnson will remain Conservative Party leader until he a) becomes an electoral liability and b) someone else exists who isn't and can take over.

It's debatable whether condition a) has been met - condition b) may exist in the form of Rishi Sunak but we need more polling evidence to confirm he would for example turn a 10-point Labour lead into a 10-point Conservative lead.

The Conservatives for now are in a strong polling position - whether that will be the case in 12-18 months I have no clue (and I doubt anyone else does).

Does that take into account possibility c) (while not wishing it on him), that he becomes physically and/or mentally unfit?

I know we have the example of his hero Churchill, but the media were a lot more respectful then.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited July 2021
    Omnium said:

Crikey.

Impressive from the Fire Brigade that they seem to be there and deployed whilst its a small fire.

('Brigade' - weird!)
    Two days ago I was walking through Heath Hayes, a village just to the East of Cannock, when I saw two fire engines and a first responder car go past at high speed.

I later, walking at a leisurely pace, saw them again. Hoses into hydrants, road closed, traffic redirected, the works.

Somebody’s conservatory had caught fire. My guess - a mirror had been left in it.

Now if they can do it for a small fire in a conservatory, I am sure they will be out so fast you actually see them blur as they go by for a fire in a hospital, however small the fire in question. The whole point is to get there fast before it spreads and does more damage or puts lives at risk.

Or do you think it would have been better to wait until it was out of control?
  • Options

- Monarch used secretive procedure to become only person in country not bound by a green energy rule

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/28/queen-secretly-lobbied-scottish-ministers-climate-law-exemption

Interesting dilemma for the SG. They get blamed whatever they do - if they let the cat out of the bag it'd be nasty disrespectful republican SNP wall to wall for weeks.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Isn't Newham still a one party state or has a Lib Dem snuck in somewhere?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    kle4 said:

OK, it's happened again.

This morning my wife found £20 in our back garden. This time, just to be different, it was an RBS note.

That's £60 in the past week!

I feel like this needs reporting to someone, but I have no idea who.

I bet it'd make the local papers, with a picture of you pointing at the garden with a baffled look on your face.
    Yes, or it would make a good LibDem leaflet, as a change from pointing at potholes...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

kle4 said:

OK, it's happened again.

This morning my wife found £20 in our back garden. This time, just to be different, it was an RBS note.

I bet it'd make the local papers, with a picture of you pointing at the garden with a baffled look on your face.
    Yes, or it would make a good LibDem leaflet, as a change from pointing at potholes...
    It’s got to be somebody playing silly buggers now.

Which one of you is it?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,206
    MaxPB said:

stodge said:

60 out of 60 councillors are Labour!
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    Carnyx said:

Interesting dilemma for the SG. They get blamed whatever they do - if they let the cat out of the bag it'd be nasty disrespectful republican SNP wall to wall for weeks.
    Possibly because "if the cap fits...."
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

The media’s obsession with ‘SNP BAD’ is that eventually everybody just ignores the media. They end up only addressing the Unionist Ultras, and that is a very limited customer base.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

… talking of Unionist Ultras…
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Actually walkers (uncorrected) and runners ARE a significant category (falls, injuries in remote areas/islands, cut off by tide etc.) Children on play kit, fisherfolk and other professional mariners, etc. Lifeguards on beaches. And so on, not just yachties/motorboat folk and people from forrin parts.

I have worldwide s&r insurance for mountain rescue, so why not? It's thrown in with membership of the Austrian mountaineering club, which I belong to for exactly that reason. The conditions are tough, mind, it says I can go above 6,500 metres, but only twice a year.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Rather missing the point that the SG is following the law but being pilloried for it by the Unionists, or at least some of them.

Though I'm not impressed by that Royal privilege myself.
  • Options
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

I have worldwide s&r insurance for mountain rescue, so why not? It's thrown in with membership of the Austrian mountaineering club, which I belong to for exactly that reason. The conditions are tough, mind, it says I can go above 6,500 metres, but only twice a year.
    Er, I think it's the bit below 0m HWMOST that is relevant to a discussion of the RNLI!
  • Options
    Vaccinated visitors from EU and US arriving in England will not need to quarantine from Monday.

According to BBC Radio 4 the Scottish Government is following suit.
  • Options

The likes of Farage and Grimes need to say that the RNLI should be blocked from rescuing immigrants because their preferred option is for the immigrants to drown. If they don't say that then it's moral cowardice on their part.
    Just bunged RNLI £20.

Fuck you Farage!!!
    It is my favourite charity: an organisation who's volunteers put their lives on the line for others day in day out unselfishly. It is the ultimate heroism.

Please set up a standing order and then you can say "Fuck You Farage with nobs on" every month.
  • Options

Vaccinated visitors from EU and US arriving in England will not need to quarantine from Monday.

I guess people from Manchester, not being US or EU citizens, will not have such an exemption?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224

Just bunged RNLI £20.

Fuck you Farage!!!
    It is my favourite charity: an organisation who's volunteers put their lives on the line for others day in day out unselfishly. It is the ultimate heroism.

Please set up a standing order and then you can say "Fuck You Farage with nobs on" every month.
    As is usual with such organisations - the people who actual do the stuff are very good. The office staff above a certain level are.... er.... interesting

The fund raising outfits, that fund raising is often outsourced to, are errrrr... extremely interesting.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited July 2021

BREAKING: Florida reports 16,038 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase since January, and 92 new deaths

That's a massive deaths jump, do you know I'd there is much back dating on it?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I think they shifted to weekly reporting so that might be the reason.

https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-f9c58c50f565e707be9bedfa9a82319e
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245
    So do English people who are travelling back from EU and US have to quarantine? Or do they have to wait until Aug 16?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Don't be silly Stuart. I am a unionist largely on the same basis as I was a remainer (remember those folk?). I don't like people peddling hate getting their way, and while I realise that not all nationalists/separatists or leavers peddle hate, they keep some pretty bad company with a large number that do. Oh, and other than yourself and Carnyx, the other posters on here who are nats very much fall into the English-hater category and it is clear for all to see.
  • Options
    Savanta ComRes do not seem to have published the tables for their last three VI polls. Are they not obliged to do so under BPC rules?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Look North reporting that Sheffield Forgemasters is being nationalised.

Bloody Corbyn government, eh?
  • Options
    @stodge just had a quick look at the ONS data for you on Newham because I had it open for other reasons. 268k adults in Newham according to the ONS mid-2020 estimate and 200k first jabs done, almost 75% of adults have had their first dose, compared to the dashboard saying 57% using NIMS. It's a completely different discussion, IMO at 75% first dosed and the incorrect 57% on the dashboard.

75% of adults with the first dose, 50% with both, plus prior infection probably gets an inner London place like Newham to 90%+ with antibodies hence the infection rate not exploding.
  • Options

I guess people from Manchester, not being US or EU citizens, will not have such an exemption?
    You’ve got a wee chip on your shoulder there Nige darling.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Rather missing the point that the SG is following the law but being pilloried for it by the Unionists, or at least some of them.

Though I'm not impressed by that Royal privilege myself.
    Re your last point, I completely agree.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Does that take into account possibility c) (while not wishing it on him), that he becomes physically and/or mentally unfit?

I know we have the example of his hero Churchill, but the media were a lot more respectful then.
    And the media realised then and now that Churchill was the real deal rather than a poundshop version.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

I think they shifted to weekly reporting so that might be the reason.

https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-f9c58c50f565e707be9bedfa9a82319e
    Hmmm, 95 isn't enough for weekly (they are currently averaging about 35 a day. But too much for a single day.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Carnyx said:

The lowlifes should not be making exceptions for the rich and famous whoever they may be and certainly not the royal parasites who are probably the worst cuplrits for CO2 production and amassing public money whilst chiselling not to pay any normal bills. Bring out the tumbrils.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I completely disagree with the logic here by OGH. Boris has an eighty seat majority, a solid favourability rating and consistently beats Starmer in approval ratings.

Is it really a 50/50 shot that he lasts a full term? Which previous PMs with a healthy majority like eighty seats have lasted a full term? Which have failed to do so?
  • Options

You’ve got a wee chip on your shoulder there Nige darling.
    Not from Manchester; it was a (failed) attempt at humour, based on the fact that Mancunians, (and the rest of the UK) are no longer citizens of the EU.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

OK, it's happened again.

The magic money tree is actually a thing?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Carnyx said:

Don't be silly Stuart. I am a unionist largely on the same basis as I was a remainer (remember those folk?). I don't like people peddling hate getting their way, and while I realise that not all nationalists/separatists or leavers peddle hate, they keep some pretty bad company with a large number that do. Oh, and other than yourself and Carnyx, the other posters on here who are nats very much fall into the English-hater category and it is clear for all to see.
    Usual septic pigswill from you I see.Flase licking Stuart and Carnyx's butts here to pretend you are not a Scottish hater cuts no mustard and fools no-one.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

The lowlifes should not be making exceptions for the rich and famous whoever they may be and certainly not the royal parasites who are probably the worst cuplrits for CO2 production and amassing public money whilst chiselling not to pay any normal bills. Bring out the tumbrils.
    And perhaps replace them with King Alex ,eh Malc? Do you still hold the man described by his own QC as a bully and sex pest in such high esteem as you did before that revelation? My idol right or wrong eh? lol!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,902

Just bunged RNLI £20.

Fuck you Farage!!!

Like any large organisation, the RNLI has some issues. Personally, I would much rather give money to the various small mountain rescue teams scattered around the country.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

@stodge just had a quick look at the ONS data for you on Newham because I had it open for other reasons. 268k adults in Newham according to the ONS mid-2020 estimate and 200k first jabs done, almost 75% of adults have had their first dose, compared to the dashboard saying 57% using NIMS. It's a completely different discussion, IMO at 75% first dosed and the incorrect 57% on the dashboard.

75% of adults with the first dose, 50% with both, plus prior infection probably gets an inner London place like Newham to 90%+ with antibodies hence the infection rate not exploding.

Why is ONS right and NIMS wrong and isn't it also possible both could be wrong?

Are there not instances where the number of vaccinations in a given area has exceeded the ONS population estimate?

I do agree there's a significant number of younger adults who had the virus earlier in the January and therefore have achieved a degree of immunity so the question then goes how long that immunity will continue.
  • Options

Just to check this is the secretive procedure that is well known and has been used and referred to publicly multiple times in the last few decades?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

OK, it's happened again.

Which one of you is it?
    Manna from Heaven.
  • Options

Just bunged RNLI £20.

Fuck you Farage!!!

As is usual with such organisations - the people who actual do the stuff are very good. The office staff above a certain level are.... er.... interesting

The fund raising outfits, that fund raising is often outsourced to, are errrrr... extremely interesting.
    Is that still true? We don't outsource fund-raising and AFAIK never have, but my impression was that the practice collapsed for most charities when various agencies using dubious methods were exposed.

I'd like to think that most charities are fairly decent in their practices. I was impressed to find when I came to my current one that they routinely decline telephone donations from people if they have any reason to think they may not be in a mentally stable state - e.g. if they already gave us money the day before.
  • Options

Just bunged RNLI £20.

Fuck you Farage!!!

Like any large organisation, the RNLI has some issues. Personally, I would much rather give money to the various small mountain rescue teams scattered around the country.
    They are similarly selfless people. Sadly Farage has not denigrated them (yet) so you don't get the double pleasure of giving Farage the middle finger and supporting a worthy cause. Like to know about those issues you think RNLI has though?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,206
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

The lowlifes
    The lowliVes?
  • Options

Crikey.

Two hospitals flooded. Now one struck by lightning.

Is God with BUPA?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

OK, it's happened again.

Which one of you is it?
    Why not both - independently

Day 1 @SandyRentool finds £20 by chance
    Day 2 mrs sr decides to mess with him and put £20 in the same place
    Day 3 SR decides to mess with her and put £20 somewhere else in the garden…
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,098

I completely disagree with the logic here by OGH. Boris has an eighty seat majority, a solid favourability rating and consistently beats Starmer in approval ratings.

Is it really a 50/50 shot that he lasts a full term? Which previous PMs with a healthy majority like eighty seats have lasted a full term? Which have failed to do so?

FWIW I disagree with OGH too, but the bet is not whether Johnson lasts a full term, it's whether he lasts until a GE in 2023 and wins that election.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    TOPPING said:

So do English people who are travelling back from EU and US have to quarantine? Or do they have to wait until Aug 16?

There will be very few British people travelling to England from the US but my wife is a permanent resident here and as she’s been double jabbed she gets the Amber List exemption, same as from most of the EU except France. Those not fully vaccinated will have to quarantine
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Usual septic pigswill from you I see.Flase licking Stuart and Carnyx's butts here to pretend you are not a Scottish hater cuts no mustard and fools no-one.
    Another hate filled angry post from you Malc. How are the anger management courses going? Not well by the looks of things. I don't hate anyone, even you. I dislike your poisonous opinions, but I am sure I could learn to love you like an irritating relative. Keep taking the tablets. Love more and hate less, it will make you happier.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's a classic example of why we need PR for local elections.

65% voted Labour across the Borough but that equates to 100% of the seats given the 20 separate FPTP contests which elect three Councillors each.

The 35% who voted for other parties (including the Conservatives) got absolutely nothing.

That means there are no opposing voices on the Council (except when a Labour maverick dares to challenge the leadership which doesn't happen often) and no plural democracy. That's the thing - if all you mean by democracy is having a vote, North Korea and China are both democracies but neither are plural democracies because there are no opposition candidates.

In Newham, we aren't a plural democracy because of the electoral system. With 65%, Labour should have 41 of the 60 seats in a proportional system and they would still have a majority (and rightly so). The other 19 seats would be shared among the Opposition parties so at least we'd hear other opinions, other ideas, other thoughts. The Council would be better for there being an effective Opposition.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

What about a Boris Crypto Coin or an NFT.....

Will PB comments ever end up as NFTs? Could be a bit of a money spinner for Mike?
    Which PB comment would be best suited for an NFT?

Can I nominate the Rogerdamus "No" response to OGH's 50/1 Obama for President tip: https://web.archive.org/web/20060227170938/www.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2005/05/26/could-this-man-be-the-next-president-of-the-united-states/
  • Options
    Alex Cole-Hamilton boasting that he will be the first Lib Dem leader anywhere in the UK not tainted by the coalition government with the Conservatives.
  • Options
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Why is ONS right and NIMS wrong and isn't it also possible both could be wrong?

Are there not instances where the number of vaccinations in a given area has exceeded the ONS population estimate?

I do agree there's a significant number of younger adults who had the virus earlier in the January and therefore have achieved a degree of immunity so the question then goes how long that immunity will continue.
    That was using the ONS mid-2019 figures, that has been updated to ONS mid-2020 which is now the gold standard. We know NIMS is an overestimate, especially in parts of the country where there are younger more transient populations aged under 40 because people move around and don't always de-register with healthcare in their previous location. We also know that NIMS purposefully overestimates the population so that healthcare provision can handle a worst case scenario (see the last 18 months).
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,098

Oh, and Thatcher was thrown out despite winning the 1987 GE at a canter, and Blair also was given the shove despite a healthy 60-seat majority. So it happens quite often, although both those examples were PMs who had already served a full term, but then the PCP are much less strongly wedded to Johnson as a person, rather than Johnson as an election winner - so if he were thought to have completely lost his touch by late 2022 there is much more potential for him to be pushed out.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

Just bunged RNLI £20.

Fuck you Farage!!!

Is that still true? We don't outsource fund-raising and AFAIK never have, but my impression was that the practice collapsed for most charities when various agencies using dubious methods were exposed.

I'd like to think that most charities are fairly decent in their practices. I was impressed to find when I came to my current one that they routinely decline telephone donations from people if they have any reason to think they may not be in a mentally stable state - e.g. if they already gave us money the day before.
    I'd guess most charities are a bunch of crooks. It's such an obvious place to exploit I'd be astonished if it wasn't heavily exploited.
  • Options

Thatcher 87, Blair 2005, Cameron 2015

Major and Brown staggered on to the end. May lost Cameron’s majority.

So 50/50 in the last 40 years…
  • Options
    ‘Alistair Carmichael disassociates Lib Dems from Vince Cable’s comments on China’

Following Vince Cable’s interview with Nigel Farage in which the former Lib Dem leader said it was wrong to talk about a ‘genocide’ in China, Lib Dem MP Alistair Carmichael has robustly disagreed.

https://www.markpack.org.uk/167801/alistair-carmichael-disassociates-lib-dems-from-vince-cables-comments-on-china/
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,902

Just bunged RNLI £20.

Fuck you Farage!!!

They are similarly selfless people. Sadly Farage has not denigrated them (yet) so you don't get the double pleasure of giving Farage the middle finger and supporting a worthy cause. Like to know about those issues you think RNLI has though?
    Apparently their treatment of the independent lifeboats left can be quite poor - not at a local level, where the independent and RNLI teams can get on well, but at a higher level. Many people don't even know there are independent lifeboats...

Anecdotally, when I did my coastal walk I initially wanted to do it for the RNLI (as makes sense). They were not very helpful at a national level (although it should be said a couple of other walkers have raised money for them). Instead I raised money for the Riding for the Disabled Association, which was brilliant locally and better nationally.
  • Options
    ITV is in talks about striking a partnership deal with BT Sport but has ruled out a full takeover of the pay-TV sports channel.

Its chief executive, Dame Carolyn McCall, said ITV was eyeing a joint venture with BT as she stressed the importance of live sport to its fight against the streaming giants.

The Telegraph revealed in April that ITV was among a string of suitors - including the sports streaming service Dazn - after BT appointed bankers to explore potential partnerships for the channel.

Dame Carolyn said: "We have a good relationship with BT and BT Sport in particular, and we do constantly talk to them about how we might collaborate and cooperate. Those discussions are ongoing.

"We are not in the market for that kind of acquisition. We've been focused on our balance sheet and we still see uncertainty ahead, but collaboration and cooperation with BT Sport, absolutely."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/28/itv-eyes-bt-sport-tie-up-take-streaming-giants/
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

‘Alistair Carmichael disassociates Lib Dems from Vince Cable’s comments on China’

Following Vince Cable’s interview with Nigel Farage in which the former Lib Dem leader said it was wrong to talk about a ‘genocide’ in China, Lib Dem MP Alistair Carmichael has robustly disagreed.

https://www.markpack.org.uk/167801/alistair-carmichael-disassociates-lib-dems-from-vince-cables-comments-on-china/

One can always count on Alistair Carmichael to take a strong stance on ethical issues.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

The lowlifes
    The lowliVes?
    No, because lowlife is a portmanteau word de novo, and the irregular plurals no longer apply.

Like the Sukhoi Su-25 whose NATO reporting name is Frogfoot. One speaks of a squadron of Frogfoots, not of Frogfeet.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

OK, it's happened again.

Which one of you is it?

I suppose my wife 'finding' the third note could be a bluff to throw me off the scent. But an RBS note - not from a cashpoint in Ilkley.
  • Options
    Chris said:

One can always count on Alistair Carmichael to take a strong stance on ethical issues.
    Did you ever read the written judgement on the infamous court case? It is splendid reading for any PBer interestyed in the arcana of political law in the UK.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,121

JBriskin3 said:

What about a Boris Crypto Coin or an NFT.....

Will PB comments ever end up as NFTs? Could be a bit of a money spinner for Mike?
    Which PB comment would be best suited for an NFT?

Can I nominate the Rogerdamus "No" response to OGH's 50/1 Obama for President tip: https://web.archive.org/web/20060227170938/www.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2005/05/26/could-this-man-be-the-next-president-of-the-united-states/
    Or yours about Boris Johnson's unusually high muscle to fat ratio? That was an eye-catcher.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
  • Options

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

OK, it's happened again.

Which one of you is it?

I suppose my wife 'finding' the third note could be a bluff to throw me off the scent. But an RBS note - not from a cashpoint in Ilkley.
    Is it a current one? Worth checking on the RBS site.

I wonder if someone has had an accident with their savings. Or worse.
  • Options

Alex Cole-Hamilton boasting that he will be the first Lib Dem leader anywhere in the UK not tainted by the coalition government with the Conservatives.

To save anyone else the trouble, I looked it up.

Apparently he is a Member of the Scottish Parliament, and apparently the Scottish Liberal Democrats are having a leadership election, in which he is a candidate (or actually the only candidate).
  • Options
    Charles said:

Thatcher 87, Blair 2005, Cameron 2015

Major and Brown staggered on to the end. May lost Cameron’s majority.

So 50/50 in the last 40 years…
    You can't count people falling at the fag end of their third term as them not having lasted a term. The question was which PMs have lasted a full term - falling in your second or third term still means you've lasted one.

Thatcher lasted more than full term

Blair lasted more than a full term.

Major lasted more than a full term.

Brown and May never won a majority, let alone an eighty seat majority.

Even Cameron lasted a full term.

In the last 40 years 100% of healthy majority election winners, plus Cameron, has all lasted at least a full term.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159

Just bunged RNLI £20.

Fuck you Farage!!!

Apparently their treatment of the independent lifeboats left can be quite poor - not at a local level, where the independent and RNLI teams can get on well, but at a higher level. Many people don't even know there are independent lifeboats...

Anecdotally, when I did my coastal walk I initially wanted to do it for the RNLI (as makes sense). They were not very helpful at a national level (although it should be said a couple of other walkers have raised money for them). Instead I raised money for the Riding for the Disabled Association, which was brilliant locally and better nationally.
    Riding for disabled is brilliant. Gives such pleasure to people who often have it hard in life.
  • Options

ITV is in talks about striking a partnership deal with BT Sport but has ruled out a full takeover of the pay-TV sports channel.

Its chief executive, Dame Carolyn McCall, said ITV was eyeing a joint venture with BT as she stressed the importance of live sport to its fight against the streaming giants.

The Telegraph revealed in April that ITV was among a string of suitors - including the sports streaming service Dazn - after BT appointed bankers to explore potential partnerships for the channel.

Dame Carolyn said: "We have a good relationship with BT and BT Sport in particular, and we do constantly talk to them about how we might collaborate and cooperate. Those discussions are ongoing.

"We are not in the market for that kind of acquisition. We've been focused on our balance sheet and we still see uncertainty ahead, but collaboration and cooperation with BT Sport, absolutely."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/28/itv-eyes-bt-sport-tie-up-take-streaming-giants/

I don't see how they make that work.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Alistair is a pillar of the community.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-34777085
  • Options
    Chris said:

Apparently he is a Member of the Scottish Parliament, and apparently the Scottish Liberal Democrats are having a leadership election, in which he is a candidate (or actually the only candidate).
    Basically who gets to be in the driving seat of the 2CV - it's that size of party.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

From August 2nd at 4am, I think.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

The lowlifes
    The lowliVes?
    No, because lowlife is a portmanteau word de novo, and the irregular plurals no longer apply.

Like the Sukhoi Su-25 whose NATO reporting name is Frogfoot. One speaks of a squadron of Frogfoots, not of Frogfeet.
    Do you think we should say midwifes instead of midwives?
  • Options
    Chris said:

And here was me thinking he was world famous. He certainly acts like he is.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

The lowlifes
    The lowliVes?

No, because midwife is a single word of long standing. With an irregular plural ditto.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

OK, it's happened again.

Which one of you is it?

RNLI could do with £20. :smile:
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495

FWIW I disagree with OGH too, but the bet is not whether Johnson lasts a full term, it's whether he lasts until a GE in 2023 and wins that election.
    On condition that that an election will be in 2023 or before, and that the odds are about right that a Tory majority government following it is a 50% chance, and the assumption is right that no other sort of Tory government can be sustained then Boris has a nearly 50% chance of losing an election before 2024.

Add to that the other factors which could dislodge a leader (act of God, scandal, rubbish polling etc) and IMHO the chances that Boris will be leader in 2024 while decent are sub 50%.

Having said that, I personally think he will win an election and will be leader in 2024; but I am backing what I think is mathematically a minority position.

Of course he may wait to 2024. But only if his position is weak - there is bad track record for those waiting full term! That weak position may be the thing which topples him, so they cancel each other out.

• Options

Chris said:

Alistair is a pillar of the community.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-34777085
    Solicitor and kirk elder, or at least he was in 2015. Much more reputable than being a MP.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That was using the ONS mid-2019 figures, that has been updated to ONS mid-2020 which is now the gold standard. We know NIMS is an overestimate, especially in parts of the country where there are younger more transient populations aged under 40 because people move around and don't always de-register with healthcare in their previous location. We also know that NIMS purposefully overestimates the population so that healthcare provision can handle a worst case scenario (see the last 18 months).

Okay - why then, if it is so inaccurate, is NIMS still used in reporting and statistics?

The website says: "For English areas, these are provided for population surveillance purposes, and only people who have an NHS number and are currently alive are included. The denominator used is the number of people on the National Immunisation Management Service (NIMS) database"

This is absurd if, as you claim, ONS figures are more accurate.

The mid-2019 population figure I've seen is 353,000 so if ONS is correct, we have approximately 250,000 adults over 18 and 100,000 children under 18. I don't know if that's a realistic population division - I suspect other areas would be very different to 2 children for every 5 adults but I don't know.

I don't think ONS has got a full sense of the transient Newham population either but I'm happy to accept it's better than NIMS.

I'm also of the view these figures (like almost every graph and spreadsheet) are weaponised propaganda.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

The lowlifes
    The lowliVes?

No, because midwife is a single word of long standing. With an irregular plural ditto.
    Lowlife is (apparently) two hundred yeas old. Hardly new!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Did you ever read the written judgement on the infamous court case? It is splendid reading for any PBer interestyed in the arcana of political law in the UK.
    He admitted lying but defied anyone to prove what his motivation had been in lying?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

OK, it's happened again.

Which one of you is it?

Is it a current one? Worth checking on the RBS site.

I wonder if someone has had an accident with their savings. Or worse.
    A new, plastic note.

I guess someone flying above us in a light aircraft could have had a pile of cash blow out of the window. But turning up on different days is strange.
  • Options

Chris said:

And here was me thinking he was world famous. He certainly acts like he is.
    He's helped by you and everyone else on here getting into a flap about some comments.

If he is the irrelevance you assert, why even mention it?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

The lowlifes
    The lowliVes?

Lowlife is (apparently) two hundred yeas old. Hardly new!
    Low life is the noun; lowlife the adjective, I now find on checking Chambers ...
This discussion has been closed.