Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

With 11 days until “Freedom Day” Ipsos finds a significant proportion backing permanent controls – p

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited July 2021 in General
imageWith 11 days until “Freedom Day” Ipsos finds a significant proportion backing permanent controls – politicalbetting.com

New poling by Ipsos MORI for The Economist finds backing for extending certain restrictions to stop the spread of COVID in the short-term while it is still posing a risk, however, there is much less support for these measures to remain in place permanently. 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Test
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    It will translate into widespread anti-immigration sentiment, globally. Enjoy the 20's!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The government has got this wrong.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,201
    FPT: Fish and shellfish exports actually recovering well - dairy and meat not so much:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5jBUr9WQAEwiwm?format=png&name=small
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2021
    Given that the question asked whether these measures should be kept permanently, regardless of the Covid risk, it's hard to avoid the conclusion that a substantial proportion of the population are bonkers.

Alternatively, as @CJTerry on Twitter just put it: "Honestly think an underrated aspect of covid polling is the extent to which polling is used as a form of signalling, in this case to basically say 'just do whatever thing makes us secure'. "
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Jonathan said:

On Face Masks I fully agree.

IMO there has been no legitimate argument made to stop wearing them, even at the presser the other day it was very much 'we won't enforce it by law, but we still want you to keep wearing them'.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    carnforth said:

FPT: Fish and shellfish exports actually recovering well - dairy and meat not so much:

Meat and dairy are recovering - but they're not back to pre-Brexit levels yet.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The government has to lead the public sometimes.

The public has this wrong.
    Nah. They played to their party and lost sight. Don’t worry a u-turn can’t be far away. Entirely sensible things like masks on public transport would be good for the economy.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    As much as is necessary and as little as possible should be the guide.

Where there is legitimate debate about what is necessary/possible
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,662
    FPT

Cookie said:

Caitlin Moran
    @caitlinmoran
    ·
    17h
    Cab ride across London during extra time - pubs exploding, horns sounding. For an England team who took the knee, wear rainbow armbands, campaign against child poverty. It feels like a cultural game-changer on the same scale as The Beatles.

Hmmm. Colour me sceptical.

Jesus FUCKING Christ Lefties. Give it a fucking rest. Can we have something, anything which isn't about your fucking culture war all the fucking time.

There is so little you can do nowadays which doesn't involve getting shouted at by a fucking leftie with an agenda.

Eh? Nearly all the culture war stuff that I see is from people like your good self being triggered by someone on Twitter.
    Exactly. The only people going on about a 'culture war' and 'wokism' are the saddos on the right who cannot come to terms with the long sweep of history towards more liberal attitudes, greater acceptance of diversity, willingness to live and let live etc.
    Are you sure this isn't a narrative people tell themselves because it makes them feel modern and progressive? In reality social attitudes evolve in different directions and there is no "long sweep of history" towards liberal attitudes.
    It's a view. Which social attitudes do you think have evloved in a way counter to liberal/progressive views over the past say 30, 50, 100, 200 or 500 years?

(PS Yes, I am pretty sure.)
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,201
    rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Meat and dairy are recovering - but they're not back to pre-Brexit levels yet.
    Ah, I accidentally used the snarky phrase "not so much". I merely meant "not as much".
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Own up, who on here is in the 19% wanting a permanent 10pm curfew?

:lol:
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    jonny83 said:

Jonathan said:

On Face Masks I fully agree.

IMO there has been no legitimate argument made to stop wearing them, even at the presser the other day it was very much 'we won't enforce it by law, but we still want you to keep wearing them'.
    If transport companies want to insist on them, that’s their perogative.

No-one is suggesting that wearing a mask be made illegal, in the same way that no-one is suggesting that attendance at nightclubs be compulsory.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 121
    The above seems so strange that I do wonder if there was a problem with the form somehow. Either it being buggy or confusing the respondents.

A little known fact is that you can get a 100 people to answer a single question for $10 on Google Consumer surveys. There are some limitations - most prominently a tight character limit. But they have some statistics arguing that their surveys are decently representative. If anyone is up for it, it wouldn't be too hard to reproduce one of these items (at least, the shortest one lol). The way their pricing works, the first question is cheap but you pay a lot for for the second and subsequent questions.

Since I came on here a couple of years ago I've thought there must be some way to use that for betting as well. But its probably against their terms.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

FPT

Cookie said:

Caitlin Moran
    @caitlinmoran
    ·
    17h
    Cab ride across London during extra time - pubs exploding, horns sounding. For an England team who took the knee, wear rainbow armbands, campaign against child poverty. It feels like a cultural game-changer on the same scale as The Beatles.

Jesus FUCKING Christ Lefties. Give it a fucking rest. Can we have something, anything which isn't about your fucking culture war all the fucking time.

There is so little you can do nowadays which doesn't involve getting shouted at by a fucking leftie with an agenda.

Eh? Nearly all the culture war stuff that I see is from people like your good self being triggered by someone on Twitter.
    Exactly. The only people going on about a 'culture war' and 'wokism' are the saddos on the right who cannot come to terms with the long sweep of history towards more liberal attitudes, greater acceptance of diversity, willingness to live and let live etc.
    Are you sure this isn't a narrative people tell themselves because it makes them feel modern and progressive? In reality social attitudes evolve in different directions and there is no "long sweep of history" towards liberal attitudes.
    It's a view. Which social attitudes do you think have evloved in a way counter to liberal/progressive views over the past say 30, 50, 100, 200 or 500 years?

I think Western liberalism took a bit of a bath at some stages last century, wouldn't you say? And have you seen all those photos of car driving, skirt wearing, job having, opinion having women in Tehran 50 years ago?
  • Options

FPT

Cookie said:

Caitlin Moran
    @caitlinmoran
    ·
    17h

@Benpointer

Well, I suspect that Norman Tebbit might mention this, given that the leading lights in it were pretty much all from the "progressive" end of the spectrum.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@HYUFD?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anyone who can’t bear watching the extra time?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited July 2021
    Quite clearly this poll shows that such polls are questionable about making any policy on them given the way they lead people to answers . i doubt that the economic damage restrictions cause was mentioned or the mental health on people who like human interaction (especially the young) was mentioned.

PT below is right - This poll is WRONG , the governmnet needs to have the resolve to stick to its July 19th plan and end all restrictions. It will be Johnsons Churchill moment he craves
  • Options

Eugenics immediately springs to mind as the most dramatic example over the last 100 years, say.
  • Options
    The public are wrong or the poll is wrong? Make your minds up lads. Perhaps it’s a glitch in the Tory matrix.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The public are wrong or the poll is wrong? Make your minds up lads. Perhaps it’s a glitch in the Tory matrix.

not a tory
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

FPT

Cookie said:

Caitlin Moran
    @caitlinmoran
    ·
    17h

I think Western liberalism took a bit of a bath at some stages last century, wouldn't you say? And have you seen all those photos of car driving, skirt wearing, job having, opinion having women in Tehran 50 years ago?
    Yes and yes, both fair points.

But the long sweep... two steps forward, one step back and all that. Think of it like the stock market, there will periods of bear markets and even (temporary) crashes but overall the long-term direction is clear.

To be fair, in 1939 I would not have been so sure about social attitudes progressing... but then again in 1930 I would not have been so sure about the stock market always rising in the long-term.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693

Eugenics immediately springs to mind as the most dramatic example over the last 100 years, say.
    You sure? THe liberal/progressives were all quite keen on eugenics, like the reactionaries, up to the 193os. Or have I misread?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

FPT

Cookie said:

Caitlin Moran
    @caitlinmoran
    ·
    17h

“Progressive” ideas that fail cease to be considered as progressive. The obvious example is communism.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,526

FPT

Cookie said:

Caitlin Moran
    @caitlinmoran
    ·
    17h

The danger of abstract nouns! How do you know if a view is 'liberal' or 'progressive'? To take one obvious example, development in abortion law involves changing the balance of rights between the unborn (whose rights in general exist and are strongly protected) and the potential parents. Currently the balance is tilted strongly against the unborn (speaking here of Great Britain), but who is to say which is the liberal or progressive view?

Currently there is a campaign to protect 16 and 17 year olds from consensual marriage; but no such campaign to protect them from consensual sex in any form. Which is the liberal and progressive view?

• Options
    Carnyx said:

You sure? THe liberal/progressives were all quite keen on eugenics, like the reactionaries, up to the 193os. Or have I misread?
    It was mainly the liberals and progressives who were keen on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/17/eugenics-skeleton-rattles-loudest-closet-left

I think it's pretty clear that social attitudes today haven't moved their way on that!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

A large minority of the public is wrong. Why on earth would anyone want curfews or quarantine indefinitely?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited July 2021
    Only a minority want any of the measures to be permanent however.

Certainly even the government is still committed to mandatory quarantine for travellers to red list countries and for unvaccinated travellers to Amber list countries for the foreseeable future
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

The government has to lead the public sometimes.

The public has this wrong.
    Would that still be the case if we had a referendum about it, and 52% of the public supported the more onerous restrictions?
    LOL. Yes, the public would still be wrong, but in that case we should do it anyway, as with Brexit. After a few years of parliamentary shenanigans, at least one short-lived splinter party and a couple of elections... :wink:
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sean_F said:

FPT

Cookie said:

Caitlin Moran
    @caitlinmoran
    ·
    17h

“Progressive” ideas that fail cease to be considered as progressive. The obvious example is communism.
    PIE/NAMBLA is another.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693

Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/17/eugenics-skeleton-rattles-loudest-closet-left

I think it's pretty clear that social attitudes today haven't moved their way on that!
    But the NSDAP for instance was also very keen on eugenics in various senses. And the imperialists too in Britain - that panic over the state of the nation at the Boer War time, B-P and the boy scouts, etc.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Dr Duncan Robertson
    @Dr_D_Robertson
    ·
    2h
    A reminder that the decision on Step 4 *has not yet been taken*. Ministers will be looking at the data and projections before their announcement on Monday.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I have a feeling that surveys like this are actually helpful to those of us who want ministers to face down calls for continuing restrictions against Covid. Because if 30% of public opinion is allegedly favour of absurd restrictions in perpetuity then it becomes easier to dismiss their views to the extent that they relate only to Covid. And allows ministers to focus more on those who do want restrictions lifted.

To be honest the one area I do think they are particularly vulnerable is masks on public transport. Because this is going to be the biggest area that employees cite for refusing to come into the office if employers want it. Employers will have far more of an awkward time with these people, than they will with those who don’t want to go on public transport if they have to wear a mask. Not that anyone’s enforcing it at the moment, mind.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    Jonathan said:

Then what is your alternative?

The way cases are going up (and given the argument against opening up seems to be: "Long covid!", so cases are important), then fettling around the edges are irrelevant. If you are worried about cases, then we need to lock down now, hard. Any opening up goes directly against the aim of decreasing cases.

It does seem like some people just want to bash the government - they want to say we can open up (because the public like that), but also say we need to worry about cases - so they can bash the government. The compromise is to fettle around the edges. Which does f'all to reduce cases.

Which is the mess RP got into (in my view, at least) the other day.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

But the NSDAP for instance was also very keen on eugenics in various senses. And the imperialists too in Britain - that panic over the state of the nation at the Boer War time, B-P and the boy scouts, etc.
    Some, yes, but the eugenics movement was primarily driven by the 'progressives' of the time.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The way cases are going up (and given the argument against opening up seems to be: "Long covid!", so cases are important), then fettling around the edges are irrelevant. If you are worried about cases, then we need to lock down now, hard. Any opening up goes directly against the aim of decreasing cases.

It does seem like some people just want to bash the government - they want to say we can open up (because the public like that), but also say we need to worry about cases - so they can bash the government. The compromise is to fettle around the edges. Which does f'all to reduce cases.

I’m in favour of the incremental approach. Their previous policy. Retaining masks on public transport could have real economic benefits if public confidence is as low as it appears.

Do you really fancy using the tube right now? I don’t. Masks would help.
  • Options
    The other issue with looking back at "progressivism" is that there is that "progressive" is not an objective term. So going from A to B can be defined as progressive, while in a parallel universe going from B to A would also be defined as progressive.

Pretty much by definition change is defined as 'progressive' and over time things change, even if we tend to forget those issues of change that were rejected like communism, eugenics, paedophilia and others.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I’m in favour of the incremental approach. Their previous policy. Retaining masks on public transport could have real economic benefits if public confidence is as low as it appears.

We've had an incremental approach. Removing legal restrictions and making it a choice is the last remaining increment.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It does worry me that I think there may be a significant proportion of society (a lot larger than many think - but feeding into and indicated by these polls*) who have become so terrified of Covid (and lost all sight or understanding of relative risk) that they may have effectively withdrawn from society for the foreseeable future. And I’m not sure how society gets them back.

*there may also be an element of “I can’t do any of these fun things like socialising, going to crowded places, going on holiday... that I’m damned if I’m going to let other people do so just because they aren’t as scared as I am)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ah, so you're in the fettling-around-the-edges camp. Which will do the square-root of fuck-all to reduce cases.

Now: if you're being really brave, you'd suggest not playing the football on TV, to stop all the stupidity that pointless event is causing... (*)

(*) Go England! ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    alex_ said:

It does worry me that I think there may be a significant proportion of society (a lot larger than many think - but feeding into these polls) who have become so terrified of Covid (and lost all sight or understanding of relative risk) that they may have effectively withdrawn from society for the foreseeable future. And I’m not sure how society gets them back.

Inertia accounts for a lot of it.

Even after masks were recommended but before they were mandated the take-up of masks was miniscule. More are now according to this survey wanting masks to remain than voluntary wore masks when it was a recommended personal choice.

I have little doubt that by Christmas much fewer than 40% of shoppers will be wearing masks.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Rather than having compulsory mask wearing, forcing retailers to have better ventilation systems that kill COVID and other viruses would make a lot more sense.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ah, so you're in the fettling-around-the-edges camp. Which will do the square-root of fuck-all to reduce cases.

Now: if you're being really brave, you'd suggest not playing the football on TV, to stop all the stupidity that pointless event is causing... (*)

(*) Go England! ;)
    I’m in the get the economy moving camp, which means retaining confidence.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I bet if a poll was done that asked people if they wanted to go back to say the last level of restrictions that were lifted in May then the percentage wanting to would be very low - people just need to get used to lifting things and are afraid of change . Sometimes also people are afraid to look callous in such polls.

As to the argument that mask restrictions should be kept becasue it may stop some people getting covid then the logical thing is to impose all restrictions again as that will stop more people getting covid. Johnson just needs to be brave and people will get used to no restrictions pretty soon - and like it

And finally everyone breaks rules (Hancock /Cummings /That SNP woman etc and these were the ones caught ) rules shoudl therefore be only made when really necessary .Mask wearing is not in this league of necessity anymore if it ever were
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Who on earth would try to say that eugenics is a liberal/prgressive idea?

Some on the 'left' were in favour of Stalin's gulags - that doesn't make it a liberal or progressive idea.

This is not about left or right per se (although it seems those railing against liberal/progressive attitudes are mainly on the right these days).

My point is that the long rise of liberal/progressive ideas and attitudes has been unstoppable since the Enlightenment and remains so for the foreseeable future, notwithstanding periodic challenges and setbacks.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

alex_ said:

It does worry me that I think there may be a significant proportion of society (a lot larger than many think - but feeding into these polls) who have become so terrified of Covid (and lost all sight or understanding of relative risk) that they may have effectively withdrawn from society for the foreseeable future. And I’m not sure how society gets them back.

Even after masks were recommended but before they were mandated the take-up of masks was miniscule. More are now according to this survey wanting masks to remain than voluntary wore masks when it was a recommended personal choice.

I have little doubt that by Christmas much fewer than 40% of shoppers will be wearing masks.
    This isn’t my point. Shoppers won’t be wearing masks. There will be a not significant proportion of the population who will cease going to shops (in fact haven’t been in a shop for 15 months). Mass agoraphobia, basically.

They don’t believe the vaccines will protect them (even though they aren’t anti vax and have had their jabs) but are reading every bit of negativity about how scary Covid is they can find. And they don’t have to go far to find it of course - the Guardian and isage Twitter will do.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(*) Go England! ;)
    And you want to retain confidence by the false theatre of making people put on masks even if they're double-vaccinated and even though masks are tinkering around the edges?

And even though people can buy FFP3 masks if they're that concerned.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

This isn’t my point. Shoppers won’t be wearing masks. There will be a not significant proportion of the population who will cease going to shops (in fact haven’t been in a shop for 15 months). Mass agoraphobia, basically.
    This will be an issue but it will be an issue for a much, much tinier percentage than 40%. I doubt it will be even 4%.
  • Options

The other issue with looking back at "progressivism" is that there is that "progressive" is not an objective term. So going from A to B can be defined as progressive, while in a parallel universe going from B to A would also be defined as progressive.

Pretty much by definition change is defined as 'progressive' and over time things change, even if we tend to forget those issues of change that were rejected like communism, eugenics, paedophilia and others.

That's a fair point Philip, 'progressive' is a debatable term but honestly I think most if us know what (in this universe at least) is meant by it today.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,220
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

A large minority of the public is wrong. Why on earth would anyone want curfews or quarantine indefinitely?
    Large numbers of miserable misanthropes. Must have been a great year for them. Might explain the government's popularity during the pandemic.

I could understand people supporting these options until Covid-19 was under control globally, from a cautious viewpoint, but it's the figures for permanently that scare me a bit.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,590
    Things must go back to the way they were before Covid. The government needs to persuade people to do so.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I dont fancy the tube right now but i think for the opposite reason to you. i will go on it when i dont have to wear a mask
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Some on the 'left' were in favour of Stalin's gulags - that doesn't make it a liberal or progressive idea.

This is not about left or right per se (although it seems those railing against liberal/progressive attitudes are mainly on the right these days).

My point is that the long rise of liberal/progressive ideas and attitudes has been unstoppable since the Enlightenment and remains so for the foreseeable future, notwithstanding periodic challenges and setbacks.
    Only if you have an absolutely farcical definition of Progressive.

Eugenics absolutely was a Progressive idea when it was first proposed.

And Harriet Harman and others who worked in Liberty's predecessor group were associated for years with the Paedophile Information Exchange, with many progressives considering paedophilia like homosexuality as something that needed to be legalised. Attitudes have gone the complete opposite direction on that one since the 70s, we're more concerned about paedophilia now not less.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,401
    This is the will of the people and well this government is shamelessly populist, so brace yourselves.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(*) Go England! ;)
    And you want to retain confidence by the false theatre of making people put on masks even if they're double-vaccinated and even though masks are tinkering around the edges?

If your goal is to get the public out because it’s now safe it is plain dumb to remove one of the symbols of personal safety.

It would cost absolutely nothing to retain masks on the tube and other enclosed environments. It has to be compulsory. It’s not the people that wear them voluntarily that are the concern.

This government has foolishly created incentives for many to stay at home.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Things must go back to the way they were before Covid. The government needs to persuade people to do so.

Why? Things can be better. After WW2 thank goodness they didn’t return to the 1930s.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(*) Go England! ;)

Yep - I understand the confidence argument. But I’m not sure that mandating masks would really make much difference. A lot of it is people looking for an excuse. It is not that they aren’t genuine in being scared. But mandating masks will just result in them focussing on something else. If they don’t anyway focus on the reality that large numbers aren’t wearing masks at the moment and/or aren’t wearing them properly.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(*) Go England! ;)

If your goal is to get the public out because it’s now safe it is plain dumb to remove one of the symbols of personal safety.

It would cost absolutely nothing to retain masks on the tube and other enclosed environments. It has to be compulsory. It’s not the people that wear them voluntarily that are the concern.

Complete bollocks.

Others wearing masks is not a symbol of personal safety, if it was the pandemic would have been over a year ago. Vaccinations are what leads to personal safety.

If you want to be safe then get your jab. The rest of the crap is irrelevant and needs to go.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376

That's a fair point Philip, 'progressive' is a debatable term but honestly I think most if us know what (in this universe at least) is meant by it today.
    Progressive is also self modifying - the bits that fail are dropped and forgotten about. Sometimes to the point of denial that they ever happened.

Such as the approach to multiculturalism that actually opposed integration into the community - stating that encouraging people to learn English was racist....

Or the strand of American style race relations that argue for err... separation of minorities. Remember "Black Sections" for the Labour party?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(*) Go England! ;)

Complete bollocks.

Others wearing masks is not a symbol of personal safety, if it was the pandemic would have been over a year ago. Vaccinations are what leads to personal safety.

If you want to be safe then get your jab. The rest of the crap is irrelevant and needs to go.
    Your zeal is self defeating. 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    "Interestingly, while COVID is still seen as a risk support for restrictions tends to be stronger among older age groups, but that age difference disappears when we ask about support for restrictions remaining in place permanently (and if anything, older groups actually become more opposed)." Ipsos own commentary

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/majority-britons-support-extending-certain-covid-19-restrictions-not-forever

Note this is an exclusively online poll which I think really matters here. Anyone you interviewed on the street would necessarily be brave enough to go out into the street.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(*) Go England! ;)

No i believe public transport usage will be higher when masks go. I certianly have been avoiding it as i dont want to wear a mask. The one time I had to go on a train (last month) nobody bothered to wear one on the late night train back from birmingham - ie when they thought nobody would tell them off
  • Options

This is the will of the people and well this government is shamelessly populist, so brace yourselves.

Nah, will of the people only matters at elections. The only thing that Boris cares about right now is staying on as PM. And the only people that matter to him are the Tory MPs.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(*) Go England! ;)

Certainly it is remarkable that furlough has led to a tremendous labour shortage. Although the government is lucky that the Brexit effect is hidden amongst all the chaos.

Pensioners wanting restrictions for younger folk when they’ve all been double vaccinated is a very poor basis on which to make public policy.
  • Options

Progressive is also self modifying - the bits that fail are dropped and forgotten about. Sometimes to the point of denial that they ever happened.

Such as the approach to multiculturalism that actually opposed integration into the community - stating that encouraging people to learn English was racist....

Or the strand of American style race relations that argue for err... separation of minorities. Remember "Black Sections" for the Labour party?
    Progressive is about as meaningful/less as conservative.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

But eugenics and communism would have been considered progressive in their time.

I’d make a couple of points:

1. Much of our current morality is made easier by our prosperity. People who live in societies closer to subsistence than we do, will have harsher attitudes the poor, single mothers, the disabled etc. They will also view seizing their neighbours’ territory far more favourably than we would, because all these things help them to survive.

But, what if our prosperity should fail? Might we revert to older values?

2. It’s easy to think that because things are moving in a particular direction, they will continue in that direction. But, there can be very abrupt and unexpected reversals.
  • Options
    Ah this might explain the Ipsos MORI polling.

Doctors suspect links between Covid-19 and erectile dysfunction, with anecdotal accounts suggesting that growing numbers of men afflicted by the virus are complaining about the condition.

Medics want more studies to explore a suspected correlation between men who contracted the virus and went on to develop pneumonia, which can trigger inflammation of the blood vessels, and the condition. Another hypothesis is that Covid-19 may damage the Leydig cells that produce testosterone.

Dr Ryan Berglund, a urologist at the Cleveland Clinic, told the Los Angeles Times that erectile dysfunction could occur from Covid-19 in a similar way to inflammation of the heart muscle, or myocarditis. “It’s the blood vessels themselves that can become inflamed, which could cause an obstructive phenomenon and negatively impact the ability to get erections,” he said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-linked-to-erectile-dysfunction-dd5zjwkzv
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(*) Go England! ;)

Complete bollocks.

Your zeal is self defeating. 🤷‍♀️
    Yours is. 🤷‍♂️

If you're says that mask wearing needs to be compulsory then you're telling people that vaccines don't work. That we aren't safe.

It's not true. Vaccines work. We'll have much fewer deaths with vaccines and without masks than we ever had with masks and without vaccines.

A cheap, fiddly piece of cloth is not an alternative to being vaccinated.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Why? Things can be better. After WW2 thank goodness they didn’t return to the 1930s.
    Wearing facemasks forever isn't my idea of things being better.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

By definition history leads to the present, but whether you view that as progressive depends on subjective value judgments.

At the moment we see the growth of two-income households as evidence of social progress, but perhaps people will look back on our era and think we were crazy.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,651
    The UK is opening up completely just as cases surge.

A lot of people are asking me what I think will happen.

I have absolutely no idea.

And neither do you.

https://twitter.com/DrNeilStone/status/1413196961822527489?s=20
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Commuting 3.5hrs 5/7 on shitty trains, shelling out for expensive caffeine isn’t better either.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(*) Go England! ;)

Complete bollocks.

It's a symbol of doing your bit and trying to protect others. I am fully aware that masks won't protect me, but they might protect others. There is evidence that masks do help prevent spread to others, obviously not as much as vaccines but it all adds up and helps.

I have been fully vaccinated since March 11th, but others might not be. Others might be for example immunosuppressed or have an underlying condition which means they can't have the vaccine or it doesn't work as well.

In my view it would be incredibly selfish of me to go on a bus and not wear a mask. But others may feel differently, it's up to each individual and their own conscience.
  • Options

And neither do you.

A 'fun' thing for PBers to predict.

The number of new Covid-19 cases on July 20th in the UK, the day after freedom day.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It would be interesting to know the party voting intention of the people who support these draconian restrictions. Are they mostly older Tory voters, for example?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Commuting 3.5hrs 5/7 on shitty trains, shelling out for expensive caffeine isn’t better either.
    well you really dont have to do that if you dont want to do you? i personally like the interaction on public transport . The frustration occasionally of it makes life what it is. It is certainly better than being stuck in your house all day looking at a screen for a living imo
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(*) Go England! ;)

Certainly it is remarkable that furlough has led to a tremendous labour shortage. Although the government is lucky that the Brexit effect is hidden amongst all the chaos.

Pensioners wanting restrictions for younger folk when they’ve all been double vaccinated is a very poor basis on which to make public policy.
    See my post at 7.21 - it isn't particularly the pensioners.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376
    Jonathan said:

Progressive is about as meaningful/less as conservative.
    "Progress always propers. Since if it doesn't prosper, none dare call it progressive" - perhaps?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited July 2021
    Andy_JS said:

It is the government's fault that people are thinking like they are

Johnson & Co themselves framed the debate as the 'safety' of lockdown versus the 'risk' of freedom. They have done that for a year and a half.

Now of course with the debt ballooning and the economy nowhere near full speed, the government are forced to admit this that was a completely false choice.

Far from being 'safe' , long-term restrictions on freedom and businesses are ruinous and utterly reckless gamble with any nation's finance.

The thing is they can hardly point this out when they have been lying through their teeth to the electorate about the real choices we face for f8cking ever.

• Options
    What this poll shows is that there are a lot more authoritarian-type voters out there than anyone thought. That's very worrying IMO.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208

I think Steve Baker and Graham Brady may have something to say on that.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

well you really dont have to do that if you dont want to do you? i personally like the interaction on public transport . The frustration occasionally of it makes life what it is. It is certainly better than being stuck in your house all day looking at a screen for a living imo
    Perhaps there’s something better. Choice?

Anyway my firm has pocketed the dividend of less office space. So compulsory daily commuting is less of a thing. The Whistlestop shop in Victoria and commercial landlords will suffer commercially.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You've provided a brilliant example of the "true Scotsman fallacy". Most prominent "progressive" intellectuals (the Webbs, H.G Wells etc.) in the19th and 20th centuries were supporters of eugenics until the Nazi death camps. As others have pointed out communism was the ultimate progressive cause to many. I personally do have a sense that humanity has and will continue to progress in moral, scientific and material ways but with many false turnings and setbacks. Some of those setbacks caused by people identifying as progressive.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Andy_JS said:

No chance of that.

• Options
    Floater said:

Andy_JS said:

No chance of that.

Rejoining the EU is more likely.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

(*) Go England! ;)

Complete bollocks.

It's a symbol of doing your bit and trying to protect others. I am fully aware that masks won't protect me, but they might protect others. There is evidence that masks do help prevent spread to others, obviously not as much as vaccines but it all adds up and helps.

I have been fully vaccinated since March 11th, but others might not be. Others might be for example immunosuppressed or have an underlying condition which means they can't have the vaccine or it doesn't work as well.

In my view it would be incredibly selfish of me to go on a bus and not wear a mask. But others may feel differently, it's up to each individual and their own conscience.
    The time for protecting others is over.

The virus is going to go wild now as it burns through antivaxxers etc. I have absolutely zero intentions of protecting an antivaxxer.

Given the prevalence of virus in the community then anyone immunosuppressed should probably be shielding for the next few weeks until the virus burns out and then they'll be safe to come out since this will be over. Me wearing a mask does not prevent someone immunosuppressed getting the virus.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited July 2021

And Andrew Bailey.

Johnson has spent the last 18 months hiding the ruinous impact of the government's policies just to get from one day to the next. All that rhetoric about the putting his arms around people and the awesome power of the treasury.

He richly deserves anything that is coming his way. He created his audience, he created and fostered their dependence along with the idiot MPs who supported him.

Now, the implications of his Faustian pact with the socialist Mephistopheles could be about the engulf him. Along with every Western leader who took the CCP method coolaid.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Johnson & Co themselves framed the debate as the 'safety' of lockdown versus the 'risk' of freedom. They have done that for a year and a half.

Now of course with the debt ballooning and the economy nowhere near full speed, the government are forced to admit this that was a completely false choice.

Far from being 'safe' , long-term restrictions on freedom and businesses are ruinous and utterly reckless gamble with any nation's finance.

The thing is they can hardly point this out when they have been lying through their teeth to the electorate about the real choices we face for f8cking ever.

Yes, and it turns out the government agrees with you (as the adults in the room knew all along), imposed the restrictions for the shortest time they thought reasonably possible, and are now anxious to discontinue them asap. Which leaves you in a position so exposed and embarrassing (as we all foresaw) that you now have to concede tacitly that the government was right all along, but pretend that they are in some way to blame for the irrelevant opinions of an unrepresentative minority of nutters in a skewed opinion poll, and that those opinions in some way matter, so there.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You've provided a brilliant example of the "true Scotsman fallacy". Most prominent "progressive" intellectuals (the Webbs, H.G Wells etc.) in the19th and 20th centuries were supporters of eugenics until the Nazi death camps. As others have pointed out communism was the ultimate progressive cause to many. I personally do have a sense that humanity has and will continue to progress in moral, scientific and material ways but with many false turnings and setbacks. Some of those setbacks caused by people identifying as progressive.
    "Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions."
    - Alan Grant (Sam Neill) in Jurassic Park 3.
  • Options

And neither do you.

A 'fun' thing for PBers to predict.

The number of new Covid-19 cases on July 20th in the UK, the day after freedom day.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Perhaps there’s something better. Choice?

Anyway my firm has pocketed the dividend of less office space. So compulsory daily commuting is less of a thing. The Whistlestop shop in Victoria and commercial landlords will suffer commercially.
    Plenty of other businesses will prosper, become more profitable and find holes in the market.

There’s a big opportunity for a commercial landlord to convert an office block into a cheap hotel in the middle of the City, to accommodate those coming in for their two or three days a week in the office, who need nothing more than somewhere to lay their head down for a few hours.
  • Options

And Andrew Bailey.

Johnson has spent the last 18 months hiding the ruinous impact of the government's policies just to get from one day to the next. All that rhetoric about the putting his arms around people and the awesome power of the treasury.

He richly deserves anything that is coming his way. He created his audience, he created and fostered their dependence along with the idiot MPs who supported him.

Now, the implications of his Faustian pact with the socialist Mephistopheles could be about the engulf him. Along with every Western leader who took the CCP method coolaid.
    I disagree with this. Sure, it will be painful for the government - who really knows quite what will happen regarding the public finances?

But I think it will be 2010-15 redux. The Tories will portray themselves as making tough choices and hard decisions and Labour will scream about austerity all over again. And the Tories will win the next election comfortably.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Codswallop.

It's not the debt or the economy that is the big difference it is that the vaccines have changed things. The vaccines have worked and thanks to that we are now unlocking.

They haven't lied to anyone. The lockdown was to keep people safe until the vaccines were rolled out, well now it's Mission Accomplished.
  • Options

And Andrew Bailey.

That is every Western leader, indeed every world leader.

The insight you've arrived at is that pandemics are undesirable and it is better, on balance, not to have them.

Congrats.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Omnium said:

A good day to bury news.

‘Why is the government planning to scrap English Votes for English Laws?’

Johnson’s neo-unionism reflects a British imaginary that sees devolved government and calls to provide some form of English-level recognition as sources of fragmentation, and resiles from the idea that the UK is a voluntary union of self-determining peoples. In taking this line his administration has triggered an increasingly open conflict with the pro-devolution unionist position, which was, until recently, the prevalent view in both Whitehall and Westminster.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/devolution/2021/07/why-government-planning-scrap-english-votes-english-laws

One can, of course, advance a perfectly legitimate argument that devolution has been catastrophic for the Union, but a response that consists, essentially, of leaving it untouched where it already exists whilst failing to implement equivalence where it does not is the worst of all worlds. The only stable configurations for the UK are a federation or a unitary state, not the dog's breakfast that the idiot Blair bequeathed us.

Of course, Boris Johnson is a lucky general. If the British state does finally founder, it'll almost certainly be on someone else's watch.
    If they wanted a unitary state they should have done it shortly after 1707. Yes, they successfully tricked the Scots nobility with English gold and juicy terms in the Treaty of Union, but they should have reneged on the lot in the first 10 years and effectively have imposed a unitary dictatorship on the whole island. By now GB would be as uniform as, say, Italy, Germany or France.

The key error was allowing the College of Justice to continue to exist. And the Kirk.

But far too late now.

(I laugh when folk blame Blair. They obviously know zilch about the mood at the time. Blair was painted into a corner, and boy did he know it.)

(As for “federation”: that’s the biggest yawn fest of Scottish politics. Gordon Brown’s neverending whine.)
    Federalism could still work. The elephant in the room with the current settlement is the lack of an English parliament. As with God Save the Queen the view is that the national parliament is also the English parliament (because the nation is England anyway).

Create 4 fully functional parliaments with maximum possible devolution, widen out the role of Westminster so that it more for national defence and strategic planning, and the UK might hold together.

Sadly there is little chance of it. The UK in its current form is unsustainable. NI has already been cast off to the status of a semi-detached colony. Scotland is being told that democracy is dead in Scotland because the views of England overrule it. Wales is enjoying its growing powers and wanting to do things differently. England either doesn't care much or just wants the moaning to stop.

We're going to break apart regardless of how nostalgically sad that makes people feel. Once Brexit plays out for a few more years and we can see if England will come to its senses and actually want free trade partners then we can shape the form of the divorce.
    The lack of an English parliament has been “the elephant in the room” for my entire adult life. It is one hell of an inconspicuous pachyderm.
    Just curious, but at what point in your life did you decide that Scotland needed a separate government/parliament?

The main reason that there isn't an English parliament is of course that most English people really see the UK as their nation, and only see the distinction when it comes to sport - and then only for fun.

England gave up being England long ago.
    Sad if true. Goodbye one of the greatest nations the world has ever seen.
This discussion has been closed.