Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first Populus poll of 2014 sees LAB lead up 5 percent

13»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    Bonjour
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Putting Paul Nuttall on the panel in Lewisham must have been a big laugh for the BBC producers.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    corporeal said:

Further to my question earlier in the week, I have set up a Diplomacy game on PlayDiplomacy. The game is PB2014 and the password is OGH. Please join. Happy stabbing!

So far he registered players are:

DJDave1979
    GeoffM
    corporeal
    HurstLlama

Plus I see from Twitter Miss Plato has expressed an interest in joining (from experience lady players always up the stab quotient).

Is DJ Dave an old nomme de guerre of David Roe?
    Nick Palmer's dived in.

Everyone be terrified.
    ...registered as "NickMP"

Has anyone told Anna Soubry?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Complaining about the media is about sailors complaining about the sea.

It's particularly amusing to see the complaints about BBC bias in a week in which the left wing commentariat have been incensed that Channel 4 has aired Benefits Street.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    corporeal said:

Nick Palmer's dived in.

Everyone be terrified.

Nah, it just makes the opening easier, "Nick Palmer is a former world champion and as cunning as a truck full of monkeys, lets all get him quick otherwise he will win"

Anyway looks like the game is now full (that was quick) and the contestants are:

GeoffM - not confirmed
    Pulpstar - not confirmed
    DJDave1979 - confirmed
    corporeal - confirmed
    HurstLlama - confirmed
    NickMP - confirmed
    Uncle Monty - confirmed

Good luck all.
  • Options
    Dip game filled. If anyone wants me to start a second game, I will do so.
  • Options

Further to my question earlier in the week, I have set up a Diplomacy game on PlayDiplomacy. The game is PB2014 and the password is OGH. Please join. Happy stabbing!

So far he registered players are:

DJDave1979
    GeoffM
    corporeal
    HurstLlama

Plus I see from Twitter Miss Plato has expressed an interest in joining (from experience lady players always up the stab quotient).

Is DJ Dave an old nomme de guerre of David Roe?
    It is.

I understand he's quite useless and totally easy to stab at a very late stage in the game if you ally with him early on...

;-)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    antifrank said:

It's particularly amusing to see the complaints about BBC bias in a week in which the left wing commentariat have been incensed that Channel 4 has aired Benefits Street.

"Complaining about the media is about sailors complaining about the sea."

I'll name that quote in one
  • Options

corporeal said:

Nick Palmer's dived in.

Everyone be terrified.

Nah, it just makes the opening easier, "Nick Palmer is a former world champion and as cunning as a truck full of monkeys, lets all get him quick otherwise he will win"

Anyway looks like the game is now full (that was quick) and the contestants are:

GeoffM - not confirmed
    Pulpstar - not confirmed
    DJDave1979 - confirmed
    corporeal - confirmed
    HurstLlama - confirmed
    NickMP - confirmed
    Uncle Monty - confirmed

Good luck all.
    Which countries are they getting ?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    isam said:

antifrank said:

"Complaining about the media is about sailors complaining about the sea."

I'll name that quote in one
    Galloway said it on Big Brother !
  • Options

corporeal said:

Nick Palmer's dived in.

Everyone be terrified.

GeoffM - not confirmed
    Pulpstar - not confirmed
    DJDave1979 - confirmed
    corporeal - confirmed
    HurstLlama - confirmed
    NickMP - confirmed
    Uncle Monty - confirmed

Good luck all.

Countries randomly allocated like they should be.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @isam You would if I'd got it right, but I couldn't edit it!
  • Options
    Poor old Paul Nuttall, being kidnapped by the BBC and forced to take part in question time in Lewisham. Has he been released yet?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    antifrank said:

Unless it's the Mail.
  • Options
    @Lucien_Fletcher

"I understand he's quite useless and totally easy to stab at a very late stage in the game if you ally with him early on"

I'll bear that in mind, Mr Fletcher

"Dip game filled. If anyone wants me to start a second game, I will do so."

If I draw Italy again you can put me down for a second game, please

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

corporeal said:

Nick Palmer's dived in.

Everyone be terrified.

GeoffM - not confirmed
    Pulpstar - not confirmed
    DJDave1979 - confirmed
    corporeal - confirmed
    HurstLlama - confirmed
    NickMP - confirmed
    Uncle Monty - confirmed

Good luck all.
    Is this "Diplomacy"? I haven't played that in years. It was good fun.

• Options

corporeal said:

Nick Palmer's dived in.

Everyone be terrified.

GeoffM - not confirmed
    Pulpstar - not confirmed
    DJDave1979 - confirmed
    corporeal - confirmed
    HurstLlama - confirmed
    NickMP - confirmed
    Uncle Monty - confirmed

Good luck all.

How would you rank the nations for their potential?

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,739

corporeal said:

Nick Palmer's dived in.

Everyone be terrified.

GeoffM - not confirmed
    Pulpstar - not confirmed
    DJDave1979 - confirmed
    corporeal - confirmed
    HurstLlama - confirmed
    NickMP - confirmed
    Uncle Monty - confirmed

Good luck all.

Is there a way of watching play even if one is not playing?
  • Options

The draw has been made:

England - Nick Palmer
    France - GeoffM
    Italy - Corporeal
    Germany - DJDave
    Russia - Pulpstar
    Austria - Uncle Monty
    Turkey - HurstLlama

Shades of the first PB diplomacy game here, Nick P was England in that one too and I was Turkey and, I think, Uncle Monty was Austria. At least this time we don't have that devious, back-stabbing bastard Andy Cooke to have to worry about.

Hopefully everyone will play with the spirit of the game and not let grievances from past contests sway their judgement.

• Options
    Lennon said:

Is there a way of watching play even if one is not playing?

Yes, Just go to playdiplomacy.com, create an account (its free) and navigate to PB2014 game and click on watch game..
  • Options

corporeal said:

Nick Palmer's dived in.

Everyone be terrified.

GeoffM - not confirmed
    Pulpstar - not confirmed
    DJDave1979 - confirmed
    corporeal - confirmed
    HurstLlama - confirmed
    NickMP - confirmed
    Uncle Monty - confirmed

Good luck all.

Personally, not sure about stats. Nick would be the man for that. I would order them:

Russia, Germany, France, Turkey, Austria, England, Italy.

I tend to do better with England and Turkey than with the more powerful countries, but that is because I'm cautious and a bit wet.

But it is pretty much a given that Russia is big dog and Italy is whipping boy. But a good player can win with anyone and anyone can lose with anyone.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

The stats are pretty even as I recall - England, Italy and Turkey have good defensive positions but struggle to emerge from them, Germany and Russia have a multitude of options and a simialr number of danger, France is in between. The classic, very funny, book on the game is this:

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/god.htm

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I'd never heard of him or even known of this mans existence, but Vilfredo Pareto seems to have been a pretty smart cookie with his theories of Elitism in politics and how "democracy" wouldn't change the hierarchical structure of society:

http://standpointmag.co.uk/features-january-february-14-online-only-pareto-humanity-lincoln-allison
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    GeoffM said:

...registered as "NickMP"

Has anyone told Anna Soubry?

Yes, sorry about that. Like my email address, it dates back more than 10 years and isn't easy to change. Perhaps it will become more valid with time...

• Options
    It will be interesting to see on what basis Mr Justice Sweeney sentences PC Wallis next month. As we observed in MacShane, if the basis of the defence plea is disputed by the Crown or the Judge, a Newton hearing must be ordered, and the facts determined. If not, the Judge is obliged to accept the basis of the plea. Suppose PC Wallis' plea of guilty was on the basis that he submitted a false account of what was a fundamentally true incident, will the Crown be able, or even want to dispute such an account? As a result, it is vastly premature to say that today's plea vindicates Mitchell completely. The importance of Mitchell MP v NGN must once again be noted.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

QT / the Beeb will usually contact all the main parties locally (don't know if this extends to UKIP yet; I suspect not) and ask if they'd like some seats. It's probably an easy way to fill the audience and to ensure some lively points are put.

Does anyone neutral watch QT these days anyway? It seems like a programme a least a decade past its sell-by date given more modern means of politicians interacting with the public.

I've been in a QT audience having gone through exactly that process - being nominated via a special interest group quota system. I was told that my question was shortlisted and I was specifically seated accordingly for a camera angle in case they reached me on their timed list ... so I know how contrived the event is.

Speaking to the crowd in the entrance lobby I found that everyone I spoke to was partisan and either selected in a similar way or they were so determined to appear that they applied frequently and were quite prepared to travel long distances to put their point of view (as opposed to wanting to ask a question to find an answer).

The planning was both fascinating and disturbing in a Kafka sort of way. How the BBC can peddle the lie of audience balance with a straight face is incredible.

Yes, I've done it too back in the 80s and think the formula is much as before. It's balanced in the sense of equal representation of the main parties, but it would be a good question whether UKIP is fairly represented. It doesn't particularly represent the area so comments that it's significant that it's in Lewisham or Sussex or whatever are off the mark, except insofar as ALL parties in a certain area have similar characteristics (e.g. I'd think that Tories in Lewisham tend to be more socially liberal than many LibDems in some places).

I think it's a very dated format too. AQ on the radio is much better, partly because it's more forensically-moderated. I once put in a question and was very politely dissected by Dimbleby as he explored what I actually meant - an uncomfortable but impressive experience.

• Options
    Populus is yet another worrying poll for the Conservatives. VI going nowhere, lefty Gen X coalition robust and resolute.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: The Lords is justified, indeed obliged to fulfil its duty in properly scrutinising EU ref bill says Danny Alexander. ie ok to kill the bill
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

corporeal said:

Nick Palmer's dived in.

Everyone be terrified.

GeoffM - not confirmed
    Pulpstar - not confirmed
    DJDave1979 - confirmed
    corporeal - confirmed
    HurstLlama - confirmed
    NickMP - confirmed
    Uncle Monty - confirmed

Good luck all.

Personally, not sure about stats. Nick would be the man for that. I would order them:

Russia, Germany, France, Turkey, Austria, England, Italy.

I tend to do better with England and Turkey than with the more powerful countries, but that is because I'm cautious and a bit wet.

But it is pretty much a given that Russia is big dog and Italy is whipping boy. But a good player can win with anyone and anyone can lose with anyone.
    That's cheerful for an Italian to hear.

In the first game I was France and got promptly stabbed and finished off by Nick Palmer (MP)
  • Options
    Hugh said:

It's a liberal left media conspiracy!

Crying Biased BBC, the new Godwin's Law.

London is a massive rich lefty playground. Even hosting QT in London is unfair to Tories.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294

Hugh said:

It's a liberal left media conspiracy!

Crying Biased BBC, the new Godwin's Law.

London is a massive rich lefty playground. Even hosting QT in London is unfair to Tories.

Therefore, holding qt in deepest Surrey would be unfair to labour. And presumably holding it anywhere on planet earth would be unfair to the liberal democrats
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: The Lords is justified, indeed obliged to fulfil its duty in properly scrutinising EU ref bill says Danny Alexander. ie ok to kill the bill

Although, to be fair, if he'd said "the lords should tow the line, and do what they're told," he would be guilty of pretending we have a unicameral system...
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/10928586.UPDATED__Wells__very_close__to_Huddersfield_Town_move/

Bloody hell no,not huddersfeld,the deal better be good one for Bradford.

And a deal it is - for 4 1/2 years! Likely to be undisclosed but is said to be a Town record - therefore more than £1.2m. If James Vaughan remains fit I can see a very effective strike partnership providing a good run at the play-offs.
This discussion has been closed.