Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The holiday hopes of thousands get dashed as Shapps moves Portugal back to the Amber list – politica

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,561
    China has screwed the world
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    Leon said:

You're just jealous.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,489
    Leon said:

You should be watching this, rather than worrying about the past:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000wft2/panorama-are-you-scared-yet-human
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,019
    edited June 2021
    Why is this a good thing? Surely enclosing people in their own little world is a bad idea. The right thing to do would be to mix it up, so that people all over the country hear a mixture of different accents.

"BBC One will speak to northern viewers in their own accent
    'Bespoke' service will employ regional announcers in bid to make corporation feel less London-centric"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/03/bbc-one-will-speak-northern-viewers-accent/
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    Am I right in reading Table 3 to be pointing at those with Delta who do turn up at hospital are more likely to be discharged the same day than with Alpha? That is, about half of those with Alpha turned into overnight stays, while only about a quarter of those with Delta did?

(Of course, there’s the vaccine skew there again, but it’s still a positive)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Why is this a good thing? Surely enclosing people in their own little world is a bad idea. The right thing to do would be to mix it up, so that people all over the country hear a mixture of different accents.

'Bespoke' service will employ regional announcers in bid to make corporation feel less London-centric"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/03/bbc-one-will-speak-northern-viewers-accent/

I'd pay good money to never hear a Brummie or Geordie accent ever again.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Living in Se Spain - in Andalucía as a whole cases are steadily rising although my own province has seen an equally steady fall which at the moment is being maintained. We are the furthest away from Portugal as it happens. However, even though things are moving quickly, the overall numbers with a first vaccine, are still too low for comfort. I, at 67, don't get my second jab for another 9/10 weeks. Spain seesm determined to go hell for leather for a big tourist summer. I fear it will not go well.

Which vaccine did you get? If Pfizer, then you have nothing to worry about, as it's about 98% effective against hospitalisation after just a single dose and a couple of weeks.

Plus the more people that get that first dose, the less likely you are to catch it from someone.

You are worrying unduly. The Southern US has completely opened up (and did so when not as jabbed as Spain is now) and has managed it without issue. Places like Vegas, Orlando and Miami are now booming, and yet case numbers continue to relentlessly fall.
    What is the source for the 'about 98% effective against hospitalisation after just a single dose and a couple of weeks', Robert? Not doubting you, and fully support opening up everything domesticaly, pronto, but would like to share the good news with some other fellow Pfizered 14 days ago mates....
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330
    Cases over 5000, 18 deaths, let the wailing commence. Drilling down admissions in England 80, and stable, slight increase in patients. 18 deaths is almost certainly backfilling the 1 and 0 days. Deaths from delta only 0.2 % of positive tests for this variant. Pretty much all good(ish) news. Waits now to be told it’s all going wrong...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442

rcs1000 said:

Eh?

9,427 Delta Cases. Of these, just 267 had received both doses. (And bear in mind, this isn't "two weeks post second dose", it's simply "received both doses".)

That implies to me that the vaccine is pretty bloody effective, especially given that it is the most vulnerable 50% of adults who have received both doses.

Now, the efficacy for one dose doesn't look that great. *BUT* a lot of those first dose people will have been historic AZ people, where the efficacy builds over about 12 weeks. And we've moved to most new doses being Pfizer/Moderna now, so that's going to be much less of an issue.
    I thought I must have missed something, because I didn’t get alarmed reading the document, either.
    In fact, the graphic of the geographical spread quite late in the document stood out to me as saying that Delta was being incredibly slow to get traction as an outbreak. And the numbers, as you refer to, didn’t look alarming to me. They were shouting “vax everyone and this bastard will disappear down the escalator with a despairing wail”.
    It's the hospitalisation rate of Delta that is being flagged up as the concern from this document.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Like the EU, the BBC solution to every problem, more spending, more BBC.

The issue with the BBC being too liberal urban centric has nothing to do with this and what's wrong with what they do now and have a range of voices that everybody hears?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Eh?

9,427 Delta Cases. Of these, just 267 had received both doses. (And bear in mind, this isn't "two weeks post second dose", it's simply "received both doses".)

That implies to me that the vaccine is pretty bloody effective, especially given that it is the most vulnerable 50% of adults who have received both doses.

Now, the efficacy for one dose doesn't look that great. *BUT* a lot of those first dose people will have been historic AZ people, where the efficacy builds over about 12 weeks. And we've moved to most new doses being Pfizer/Moderna now, so that's going to be much less of an issue.
    I thought I must have missed something, because I didn’t get alarmed reading the document, either.
    In fact, the graphic of the geographical spread quite late in the document stood out to me as saying that Delta was being incredibly slow to get traction as an outbreak. And the numbers, as you refer to, didn’t look alarming to me. They were shouting “vax everyone and this bastard will disappear down the escalator with a despairing wail”.
    It's the hospitalisation rate of Delta that is being flagged up as the concern from this document.
    That’s not really translating* into the hospitals though is it?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Am I right in reading Table 3 to be pointing at those with Delta who do turn up at hospital are more likely to be discharged the same day than with Alpha? That is, about half of those with Alpha turned into overnight stays, while only about a quarter of those with Delta did?

(Of course, there’s the vaccine skew there again, but it’s still a positive)

Yeah the severity of cases is definitely much lower, and I don't think it's a variant related gain, more likely vaccines. Again, anecdotally of course, I've been told by NHS people from my family that they're not seeing the same kind of hospital surge that they did in October and November when the Alpha variant swept through the country.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    If you want some great news it looks like we have eliminated a strain of H3N2

https://twitter.com/bachyns/status/1400108915128422404?s=19

Tens of thousands of lives will be saved.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Leon said:

They are obviously infecting some people with something that affects mental stability and injuces paranoia.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I wonder whether that's partly because COVID has outcompeted it for hosts over the last 18 months?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Eh?

That’s not really translating* into the hospitals though is it?
    Exactly, I'm not sure where this new panic is coming from. The data just doesn't warrant it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    Alistair said:

I've thought for a long time coronavirus will become the dominant influenza strain for the foreseeable future (or until the next virus to which we have no immunity appears).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Living in Se Spain - in Andalucía as a whole cases are steadily rising although my own province has seen an equally steady fall which at the moment is being maintained. We are the furthest away from Portugal as it happens. However, even though things are moving quickly, the overall numbers with a first vaccine, are still too low for comfort. I, at 67, don't get my second jab for another 9/10 weeks. Spain seesm determined to go hell for leather for a big tourist summer. I fear it will not go well.

Which vaccine did you get? If Pfizer, then you have nothing to worry about, as it's about 98% effective against hospitalisation after just a single dose and a couple of weeks.

Plus the more people that get that first dose, the less likely you are to catch it from someone.

You are worrying unduly. The Southern US has completely opened up (and did so when not as jabbed as Spain is now) and has managed it without issue. Places like Vegas, Orlando and Miami are now booming, and yet case numbers continue to relentlessly fall.
    What is the source for the 'about 98% effective against hospitalisation after just a single dose and a couple of weeks', Robert? Not doubting you, and fully support opening up everything domesticaly, pronto, but would like to share the good news with some other fellow Pfizered 14 days ago mates....
    https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/12/10/1013914/pfizer-biontech-vaccine-chart-covid-19/

Shows how incredibly effective Pfizer is after just two weeks and a single dose.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Eh?

Which is still down from the historical hospitalisation rate of Alpha. Essentially, vaccines have pushed it down quite a bit, the mutation may have increased it a bit, but still below the historical level, and increased vaccination will therefore continue to push it downwards.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/12/10/1013914/pfizer-biontech-vaccine-chart-covid-19/

Shows how incredibly effective Pfizer is after just two weeks and a single dose.
    Moderna, Novavax and Pfizer are the best vaccines. It's really annoying that Novavax started their trial literally a couple of weeks too late to get into the first cohort of approved vaccines.
  • Options
    Trump has been reading to much social media.

https://twitter.com/allahpundit/status/1400506612998094848?s=19

This calls into question whether he should be favourite for the nomination. The chance of total meltdown before the Primaries is higher than I thought.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071

Andy_JS said:

Some sympathy about Brummie, but Geordie brings back, mostly, happy memories.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,097

Andy_JS said:

You'd enjoy my Brummie/Geordie hybrid accent then.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

My problem is when two or more Geordies start talking to each other, it begins to sound incomprehensible.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896

Cases over 5000, 18 deaths, let the wailing commence. Drilling down admissions in England 80, and stable, slight increase in patients. 18 deaths is almost certainly backfilling the 1 and 0 days. Deaths from delta only 0.2 % of positive tests for this variant. Pretty much all good(ish) news. Waits now to be told it’s all going wrong...

It's that time of the week when I look at the data from my own backyard, Newham, to see how we are going.

It's good to see the data set expanded down to include the 30 somethings.

In Newham, according to NIMS, there are 254,263 people aged 30 and over of whom 131,346 have received a first dose and of those 70,321 have received both vaccinations.

51.7% of all adults over 30 have received a first vaccination, 27.7% have had both.

Moving to those aged over 60, this covers 43,642 people. Of this cohort, 33,805 have had one vaccination (77.4%) and of those 28,559 have received both vaccinations (65.4%).

Putting it another way, nearly 10,000 adults aged over 60 in Newham have had no vaccination - over 120,000 adults aged over 30 have had no vaccination.

That, to this observer, is still a significant potential pool for any variant of the virus to affect.

It also suggests we still have a lot to do in my part of the world.
  • Options
    stodge said:

It's that time of the week when I look at the data from my own backyard, Newham, to see how we are going.

In Newham, according to NIMS, there are 254,263 people aged 30 and over of whom 131,346 have received a first dose and of those 70,321 have received both vaccinations.

51.7% of all adults over 30 have received a first vaccination, 27.7% have had both.

Moving to those aged over 60, this covers 43,642 people. Of this cohort, 33,805 have had one vaccination (77.4%) and of those 28,559 have received both vaccinations (65.4%).

Putting it another way, nearly 10,000 adults aged over 60 in Newham have had no vaccination - over 120,000 adults aged over 30 have had no vaccination.

That, to this observer, is still a significant potential pool for any variant of the virus to affect.

I feel for you. The area looks ripe for a delta outbreak, just hope it doesn’t get seeded there like it did in the ‘B’ towns.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Moderna, Novavax and Pfizer are the best vaccines. It's really annoying that Novavax started their trial literally a couple of weeks too late to get into the first cohort of approved vaccines.
    Novavax also lacked the ability to execute on making its vaccines at scale.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,319
    Andy_JS said:

God, this is so patronising. The output won’t change just a regional continuity announcer. Like they used to have.
  • Options
    In the last 24 hours the kitchen of my flat has partly flooded with water from upstairs, I now have no electricity there because it has shorted, someone smashed into my car when it was parked in the Chilterns, and then I chipped a front tooth chewing a thumbnail from anxiety

I am now on the gin
  • Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 409
    Walk-in vaccinations for the over 18s in this part of North Yorkshire for the past two weeks. We border Lancashire where cases have risen so I wonder whether preemptive action is being taken.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

God, this is so patronising. The output won’t change just a regional continuity announcer. Like they used to have.
    Well they do that with the part of England that speaks so called standard English.

Back in the 1970 when I was an editor with BBC News I applied to become a reporter. First thing was a voice test which my Manchester accent caused me to fail
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Leon said:

In the last 24 hours the kitchen of my flat has partly flooded with water from upstairs, I now have no electricity there because it has shorted, someone smashed into my car when it was parked in the Chilterns, and then I chipped a front tooth chewing a thumbnail from anxiety

I am now on the gin

I heard a rumour that China is responsible for all of the above.
    It's the Aliens
  • Options
    Leon said:

I am now on the gin

Why go so relatively easy when you’ve had such a bad run of luck?
  • Options

Leon said:

I am now on the gin

I heard a rumour that China is responsible for all of the above.
    In a very real sense they ARE

My car was one of two cars smashed in. I came back from a beautiful hike with my older daughter to find the cops waiting in the sun. They said the situation with both cars was the same: stoved in rear windows, probably an attempt to steal, but they found nothing to steal

You have to be really bloody desperate to smash in 2 cars and their rear windows just on the off chance there might be something inside, in rural Bucks

My guess is junkies, in extremis, acting like this due to the lack of supply and the hike in prices, because of Covid halting drug smuggling

So, yeah, China is to blame for my tooth and my car

I will try and find a way to blame Beijing for the kitchen incident. Probably they made the cheapo washing machine upstairs. Yes. That's it!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,438
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

I wonder whether that's partly because COVID has outcompeted it for hosts over the last 18 months?
    Isn't it because the flu is a lot less transmissible than Covid, and so the anti-Covid measures have had more of an impact on flu than they did on Covid.
  • Options
    stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

Newham is worse that - wait for it... - France.

The combination of high population density and low levels of vaccination make it ripe for an outbreak of the Delta variant...
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

The combination of high population density and low levels of vaccination make it ripe for an outbreak of the Delta variant...
    I still wonder whether these geographical data ever sorted the problem of people registered in one area actually getting vaccinated in another? Earlier data strongly suggests that the “numbers vaccinated” totals were people vaccinated in each area, rather than people vaccinated (anywhere) who are registered in that area.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,439
    Leon said:

I am now on the gin

That sucks. Sympathies.

Would it cheer you up if I came with some really bad puns? If so, I’m happy to oblige.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

Fence off Newham; let them die

I really am done with anti-vaxxers now. Why should the rest of us be forced to live in a quasi-lockdown, with no foreign travel, and permanently crippled industries - eg tourism - because some people are morons. Let Darwin sort them out. If they all keel over it will raise the average IQ of the nation

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

The UK average figure is hiding some really shit figures.

Edinburgh is only 61% first shot, that's rubbish.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I am now on the gin

That sucks. Sympathies.

Would it cheer you up if I came with some really bad puns? If so, I’m happy to oblige.
    So much crapola has happened in just one day - a veritable cascade of shite - it has had the reverse effect and made me quite philosophical. I am waiting for a comet to hit

The one thing that might make it worse (absent death or war) is bad puns. But thanks for the offer!
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    gealbhan said:

Roger said:

Covid will soon have more Greek letter than a campus full of frat houses.

They should have used the french system.

Covid will soon have more French letters than a campus full of frat houses
    Did you hear about the bloke who didn't know the difference between a French letter and an Irish one?
    Go on then, I’m waiting for some rice to boil
    Tease.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

I really am done with anti-vaxxers now. Why should the rest of us be forced to live in a quasi-lockdown, with no foreign travel, and permanently crippled industries - eg tourism - because some people are morons. Let Darwin sort them out. If they all keel over it will raise the average IQ of the nation

Be careful, you’re stepping into racism through suggesting that lived experience is no substitute for objective review of facts.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

My problem is when two or more Geordies start talking to each other, it begins to sound incomprehensible.
    Just tap them on the shoulder and tell them how terribly rude it is not to speak English in your presence, that should sort it out.
    Same applies to the Glaswegian accent, perhaps I should try that approach out on them when I visit Glasgow in November to see Blondie.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

Not a bit sinister, looking around for scapegoats when something goes wrong?
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

Absolutely. These conspiracy theorists are absolutely the worst.
  • Options
    Hold the fucking phone. Oxford and Cambridge are only 44% first doses?

Is there something weird with students goin on here?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    Finally up:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Alistair said:

No, like I said above, dig into the local data and it appears pretty obvious that the nominator and denominator are misaligned.

Students, registered with doctors in Ox or Cambs as is the normal way, have been back at home chez mum and dad, and are being vaccinated there, as and when their turn comes up. Too early to say, given their age.

But there must be a reason why some age cohorts in some Home Counties areas have achieved rates of over 100%
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    Alistair said:

Not really. Most of them are under 30.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Alistair said:

Possibly.

The theory is that towns and cities with big student populations are holding back because they waited for Pfizer instead of DVT inducing Oxford one.
  • Options
    This really is mind-boggling

When the director of America's CDC said he believed the Lab Leak hypothesis was plausible, this is what happened

"After the [lab leak] interview aired, death threats flooded his inbox. The vitriol came not just from strangers who thought he was being racially insensitive but also from prominent scientists, some of whom used to be his friends. One said he should just “wither and die.”

https://twitter.com/Is2021OverYet/status/1400523127889838084?s=20

Remember when they told us: Just listen to the scientists

These are the wankers they told us to obey.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,292

Andy_JS said:

Just tap them on the shoulder and tell them how terribly rude it is not to speak English in your presence, that should sort it out.
    Same applies to the Glaswegian accent, perhaps I should try that approach out on them when I visit Glasgow in November to see Blondie.
    An intensive course furyez

https://youtu.be/IMnKPnPhhYw
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

25 year old girlfriend's GP has invited her for a Pfizer jab this weekend — she's very pleased.

I'm finally getting my first jab on Saturday. Pfizer as well I believe. Though I am a bit older than 25...but the right side of 40 (just about).

I didn't get a blue letter though which sort of backs up the thinking in my head that the system in Scotland has gotten a bit screwy recently.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Novavax also lacked the ability to execute on making its vaccines at scale.
    How did the old mixing plan pan out? I’m due 2nd astra next week, could I mix it with a Pfizer instead?
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

Within a few weeks every adult in the UK will have been offered a first jab, and most with a first jab will have been offered a second jab. Then Boris Johnson will have to proceed with the next stage of the unlocking process. People who have chosen to be unvaccinated will have to take their chances with the virus. Most of the Indian variant hospital cases are in people who are not fully vaccinated. Politically, I do not see how Johnson can do anything else or people's patience with the restrictions will run out.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

I'm surprised by that, I thought Edinburgh would be amongst the highest.
  • Options
    In other news, I'm just getting used to this "timing everything I do" law firm lark. It is a right pain!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Isn't it because the flu is a lot less transmissible than Covid, and so the anti-Covid measures have had more of an impact on flu than they did on Covid.
    I think the fact that we started out with measures optimised against influenza rather than coronavirus also helped.
  • Options

In other news, I'm just getting used to this "timing everything I do" law firm lark. It is a right pain!

Six minute blocks?

I do not miss those.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    I live in Havering but had my jab today in Barking & Dagenham. That’ll mess with the figures!
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489

So, exactly how much time do you wastespend on PB? :wink:
  • Options
    Leon said:

When the director of America's CDC said he believed the Lab Leak hypothesis was plausible, this is what happened

"After the [lab leak] interview aired, death threats flooded his inbox. The vitriol came not just from strangers who thought he was being racially insensitive but also from prominent scientists, some of whom used to be his friends. One said he should just “wither and die.”

Yes, but they didn't say *which* scientists.

The reality is that the lab leak hypothesis remains a hypothesis.

The evidence for it is that the epicenter of CV19 is Wuhan, where there is a lab that studies bat coronaviruses.

But while that is compelling circumstantial evidence, it is far from overwhelming. The reality is that viruses make the leap from animals to humans all the time. And it's often the case that we never find the animal from whence the virus came.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Six minute blocks?

I do not miss those.
    The software rounds everything up (obviously not down) but need to have a million different virtual timers open for every separate matter.

It's kinda cool to have the data to be able to see how I've spent every minute of every day — that would have been useful even in my previous career, but it's still a right pain until I turn it into a habit I reckon.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

So, exactly how much time do you wastespend on PB? :wink:
    I'm being good at the moment...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Surely a large proportion of the population are very young (i.e. students) and therefore are ineligible for their first dose.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489

Andy_JS said:

I read that as "an intensive care furyez". Which, in all fairness, could well be the outcome of your advice :anguished:
  • Options
    isam said:

I live in Havering but had my jab today in Barking & Dagenham. That’ll mess with the figures!

How are you feeling? And which vaccine did you get?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    BigRich said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

Now, if it was smack they were sticking in their arm....
  • Options

Six minute blocks?

I do not miss those.
    The software rounds everything up (obviously not down) but need to have a million different virtual timers open for every separate matter.

It's kinda cool to have the data to be able to see how I've spent every bit of every day — that would have been useful even in my previous career, but it's still a right pain until I turn it into a habit I reckon.
    It depends on your area. If you are doing finance, you have one matter, turn it on at the start of the day, turn it off at the end and your narrative, “All day, dealing with halfwit lawyers in Corruptistan”. I understand that litigation or, god forbid, the Crayola department, is different.

15 minute units if you work for a firm which pays associates properly.
  • Options

Six minute blocks?

I do not miss those.

It's kinda cool to have the data to be able to see how I've spent every bit of every day — that would have been useful even in my previous career, but it's still a right pain until I turn it into a habit I reckon.
    It depends on your area. If you are doing finance, you have one matter, turn it on at the start of the day, turn it off at the end and your narrative, “All day, dealing with halfwit lawyers in Corruptistan”. I understand that litigation or, god forbid, the Crayola department, is different.

Dare I ask what the Crayola department is?
  • Options

BigRich said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

Now, if it was smack they were sticking in their arm....
    Changing subject, you’ll be pleased to hear that our tidal energy project off the south coast of the island may be back on track, with another consortium having formed after the collapse of the first effort. Local NIMBYs are already firing up their braziers...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The evidence for it is that the epicenter of CV19 is Wuhan, where there is a lab that studies bat coronaviruses.

But while that is compelling circumstantial evidence, it is far from overwhelming. The reality is that viruses make the leap from animals to humans all the time. And it's often the case that we never find the animal from whence the virus came.
    Er, yeah. Fascinatingly new insight

What is interesting here is the way many scientists totally lose it when confronted with the plausibility of the Lab Leak hypothesis. They can't cope with it, they want it suppressed, not just dismissed, but actually censored - as Facebook did for a whole year.

If a bunch of concerned citizen journalists hadn't badgered away (Google "DRASTIC") 99% of people would still be parroting the bullshit about the lab leak being a debunked, racist conspiracy theory - as if blaming the Chinese for eating bats is somehow better?

Science has been badly exposed by this whole pandemic. There have been triumphs - the vaccines, of course - but also disasters, from the revelation about "gain of function" to this new calamity around censorship and groupthink
  • Options
    By the way, if anyone comes up with a jab that cures hayfever (as opposed to fucking useless anti-histamines that don't do anything) they WILL BE THE BESTEST EVER
  • Options

Six minute blocks?

I do not miss those.

Dare I ask what the Crayola department is?
    Real estate.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,364
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What is interesting here is the way many scientists totally lose it when confronted with the plausibility of the Lab Leak hypothesis. They can't cope with it, they want it suppressed, not just dismissed, but actually censored - as Facebook did for a whole year.

If a bunch of concerned citizen journalists hadn't badgered away (Google "DRASTIC") 99% of people would still be parroting the bullshit about the lab leak being a debunked, racist conspiracy theory - as if blaming the Chinese for eating bats is somehow better?

Science has been badly exposed by this whole pandemic. There have been triumphs - the vaccines, of course - but also disasters, from the revelation about "gain of function" to this new calamity around censorship and groupthink
    There’s a fatal flaw in the Lab theory.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Surely a large proportion of the population are very young (i.e. students) and therefore are ineligible for their first dose.
    Or not actually where we think they are? Students are notoriously bipresent.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

AZ unfortunately. Although I read something about Pfizer and myocardia yesterday which made me equally scared of having that! The nurse said I could swerve it and rebook if I liked, but I couldn’t be bothered. Getting on a plane levels of anxiety. I didn’t even realise she’d done the jab though.

I feel ok thanks Robert. I had it almost 5 hours ago, maybe the worst is yet to come. Terrible nights sleep last night as my son was up screaming for ages, so I felt knackered before and after the jab. Rode there and back on the mountain bike (17k) plus did an hours ride after to ease a bit of anxiety.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That is shockingly poor.

Basically any city in thr UK is at least 10 points below the UK average.

(I was a touch unfair to Edinburgh, they are at 63%)
  • Options

By the way, if anyone comes up with a jab that cures hayfever (as opposed to fucking useless anti-histamines that don't do anything) they WILL BE THE BESTEST EVER

Have you tried fexofenadine? Wife swears by them, in parallel with Benadryl. I’d also suggest a mask at peak times.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,801
    I looked in to visiting friends in Iceland, supposedly a 'green' country and concluded no. Too many possible problems - it could go from green to amber so risk of quarantine on return. Not sure if I will be 'fully vaccinated' by time of departure so possibility of having to take a private test before going, so that could be £125, then I get there and need to take another test at the airport then wait in the hotel for up to 24 hours, so uncertainty about that; then what happens if it is positive? This is not going to be a relaxing normal holiday, with all these procedures in place. Everyone should just basically give up on foreign holidays.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

AZ unfortunately. Although I read something about Pfizer and myocardia yesterday which made me equally scared of having that! The nurse said I could swerve it and rebook if I liked, but I couldn’t be bothered. Getting on a plane levels of anxiety. I didn’t even realise she’d done the jab though.

I feel ok thanks Robert. I had it almost 5 hours ago, maybe the worst is yet to come. Terrible nights sleep last night as my son was up screaming for ages, so I felt knackered before and after the jab. Rode there and back on the mountain bike (17k) plus did an hours ride after to ease a bit of anxiety.
    The normal side effects seem to come on the day following, if you get them, and last anything from half a day to a few days. I have no experience of the more serious risks but the chat from the nurse and the leaflet she gave me suggest that these arise from a few days after the jab onwards, for the next week or two. But the chances are tiny tiny, as we know.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,364
    isam said:

Hats off. I mean it - because you are psychologically an anti vaxxer but have conquered this with your better side. This is what will make the world a nicer place. People going with their better sides. That's what it all boils down to really.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

Andy_JS said:

I once went on a short rugby tour of Scotland. We played West of Scotland (suburban Glasgow) on Saturday and Hawick (Borders) on Sunday. Chatting to our opponents after the game on Saturday, I was asked where we were playing next. "Hawick", I said, pronouncing it expertly (I am, after all, half Scottish). "Och, you'll have terrible trouble understanding them there," he said. "It's barely English, the language they speak in the Borders."
    The levity was slightly undermined by me having to get him to repeat this four times in order to pick my way through the thickets of Glasweigan vowels.
    But he was right; the Borders were more impenetrable still.
    Both lovely, lovely clubs though. Though in the history of gigantic sporting opponents West of Scotland take the biscuit.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Have you tried fexofenadine? Wife swears by them, in parallel with Benadryl. I’d also suggest a mask at peak times.
    Pirinase has worked for me and I (used to) get it pretty badly.
  • Options

Probably the only one I've not tried, thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,738

Andy_JS said:

Do you call people Bab and Pet in the same sentence?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Diggin into the number it looks to be a bit of that but uptake across older groups is also significantly lower.

East of England 1st dose for 50-54 year olds - 86%
    Cambridge uptake for 50-54 year olds - 76%

Even in the 70-74 year olds in is 88% in Cambridge rather than the East of England 95%

Get out of your ivory towers and get vaccinated you academic wankers.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

About 10 hours after I had AZ I started to feel the effect. Fucking horrible night 'sleep' .
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Do you call people Bab and Pet in the same sentence?
    Why aye bab.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Hats off. I mean it - because you are psychologically an anti vaxxer but have conquered this with your better side. This is what will make the world a nicer place. People going with their better sides. That's what it all boils down to really.
    You are right, I feel like I have given in!
  • Options
    Why ARE people so irrationally allergic to the Lab Leak Hypothesis?

The first reaction of the director of the Wuhan lab, Shi Zhengli, when she heard about Covid, a novel bat coronavirus, was to think "OMG maybe it came from my lab", and she rushed home from Shanghai to check

Her first reaction was not "oh lab leak plagues never happen, all pandemics have come from natural zoonosis".

She thought the idea was highly plausible.

And yet so many people in the West are utterly averse to the notion. To the extent they don't even want it discussed.

Why is this? Hatred of Trump, who espoused the theory? I can believe that in the USA, in very liberal circles - but not in the UK. Fear of being racist? Fear that a proven lab leak will upend the world? Destroy virology? What?

This is a serious point. We have reacted so irrationally Facebook censored any mention of this hypothesis for a year, exactly as the Chinese wanted
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Diggin into the number it looks to be a bit of that but uptake across older groups is also significantly lower.

East of England 1st dose for 50-54 year olds - 86%
    Cambridge uptake for 50-54 year olds - 76%

Even in the 70-74 year olds in is 88% in Cambridge rather than the East of England 95%

Get out of your ivory towers and get vaccinated you academic wankers.
    Two theory's spring to mind,

1) Perhaps a lot of the local population was from EU or elsewhere and have ether gone home at some point in the pandemic, or don't realise they are eligible for UK vaccine.

2) The hateride of Boris, Brexit and everything, means they don't what to be part of a very successful Vaccine campaign that will reflect might on both Boris and Brexit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Your posts seem mostly to involve conjuring up an enemy who you can then get really angry with.
This discussion has been closed.