Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The holiday hopes of thousands get dashed as Shapps moves Portugal back to the Amber list – politica

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited June 2021 in General
imageThe holiday hopes of thousands get dashed as Shapps moves Portugal back to the Amber list – politicalbetting.com

The government’s move this afternoon to change the status of Portugal is a massive blow to tens of thousands of people who had booked because until today this was the one big tourist area where travel was allowed with no reqirement to self isolate on return.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    1st. Like Delta by sound of it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432
    Been prepping for that for months.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021
    From that data need to be a bit careful, there was a total of 12 cases of 2 dose vaccinated people turning up at A&E with Indian variant. There was however was a more significant number of 1st dose, + 3 weeks, which is clearly why the government have been pushing the 2nd dose asap.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    What we are seeing is how slow government is to adapt to a new paradigm. Just as in early 2020 they were slow to recognise the new world toward which we were heading, despite evidence coming in from around the world, now they are slow to realise that normality is pretty much within our grasp.
  • Options

Lets hope it targets the right mutations.
  • Options

I did read that it should take about six weeks to update the vaccines to deal with a vaccine resistant variant.

It'll be alright.
  • Options
    O/T - Lib Dems have a new candidate in Batley & Spen.

https://twitter.com/RobParsonsYP/status/1400473989189885956
  • Options
    You are Alistair Hames and I claim my five pounds.
  • Options
    Friend of mine flew in from Germany a week ago, flew back yesterday. Sauntered through both sets of immigration.

I shall say no more but as I'd encouraged his trip it amused me.

I too shall travel and will tell the UK Government through my actions to go fuck themselves.
  • Options

You are Alistair Hames and I claim my five pounds.
    Never heard of him
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Joe is not his normal busy self. It's as if the weight of carrying this batting line up is almost too much for him. He always looks more effective when taking the quick singles and rotating the strike.

I'm not familiar with Bracey and Robinson. Are we "batting deep"?
    I think that the consensus is not but to be honest I had not heard of Bracey before he was picked.
    Bracey has 479 runs at 47.9 in the County Championship this season at number 3 for Gloucestershire. Before Foakes tore his hamstring there was some merited speculation as to whether he would take a place in the top three. So I have no particular concern about him batting at seven.

Robinson at 8 and Wood at 9 are both a place too high in the order, really.
    Have we gone back to a policy of picking a wicketkeeper who can bat, as opposed to a batsman who can keep.

That's what kept James Foster out of the side for years, although, to be fair, arguing with Duncan Fletcher was, to say the least, ill-advised.
    I don't think Bracey as a keeper is as good as Foakes, or indeed Adam Wheater.

But equally, as a back up keeper he's more than capable. I would say he's a better keeper than Buttler, or Bairstow, or for that matter Prior. He's not quite in the class of Read or Foster. But then, few are.

Where he's really shone is as a top order batsman when the pressure is on. He's scored big runs in chases were you would have sworn his side were dead and buried.

That's I think why England are keen on him. He gives them cover in the top order and behind the stumps.

I would say his weakness is he loses concentration too often when set. But then, so did Trescothick in first class cricket.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    I know of quite a few people who rushed over to he Algarve a few days ago.

Oh dear.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    Let’s wait and see what the actual effect is on admissions over the next two or three weeks before anyone panics.

The virus’s mutations are trying to run up a down escalator in the face of the vaccine rollout. Increased transmissibility is being pushed back by ever-increasing herd immunity (short of the herd immunity threshold, yes, but still acting like a relentlessly climbing damper). Increased hospitalisation is then trying to wrestle with increased and prepared immune systems.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Joe is not his normal busy self. It's as if the weight of carrying this batting line up is almost too much for him. He always looks more effective when taking the quick singles and rotating the strike.

I think that the consensus is not but to be honest I had not heard of Bracey before he was picked.
    Bracey has 479 runs at 47.9 in the County Championship this season at number 3 for Gloucestershire. Before Foakes tore his hamstring there was some merited speculation as to whether he would take a place in the top three. So I have no particular concern about him batting at seven.

Have we gone back to a policy of picking a wicketkeeper who can bat, as opposed to a batsman who can keep.

That's what kept James Foster out of the side for years, although, to be fair, arguing with Duncan Fletcher was, to say the least, ill-advised.

But equally, as a back up keeper he's more than capable. I would say he's a better keeper than Buttler, or Bairstow, or for that matter Prior. He's not quite in the class of Read or Foster. But then, few are.

Where he's really shone is as a top order batsman when the pressure is on. He's scored big runs in chases were you would have sworn his side were dead and buried.

That's I think why England are keen on him. He gives them cover in the top order and behind the stumps.

I would say his weakness is he loses concentration too often when set. But then, so did Trescothick in first class cricket.
    Opinion at Essex is that Wheater is not having a good run.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294

Friend of mine flew in from Germany a week ago, flew back yesterday. Sauntered through both sets of immigration.

I too shall travel and will tell the UK Government through my actions to go fuck themselves.

As long as you do not try to claim on your holiday insurance then
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,666
    Making it up as he goes along....

Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health: "Children's wards are not seeing a rise in cases with Covid. Parents shouldn't worry."

Statement comes after Scotland's Health Secretary @HumzaYousaf said that 10 children aged 0-9 were in hospital last week "because of Covid"

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1400471932508770306?s=20
  • Options
    We need to double jab everyone and get on and live our lives. There may be a few hospitalisations and deaths but minor compared to other causes. Covid deaths for the jabbed are very low.

Oh, and the Daily Malicious this morning was claiming that some lady died after receiving the AZN jab.

She "had no underlying health conditions" the caption ran beneath a picture of the 20-stone lady.

• Options

Claim what exactly? Why would I need to claim anything?
  • Options

We need to double jab everyone and get on and live our lives. There may be a few hospitalisations and deaths but minor compared to other causes. Covid deaths for the jabbed are very low.

Oh, and the Daily Malicious this morning was claiming that some lady died after receiving the AZN jab.

She "had no underlying health conditions" the caption ran beneath a picture of the 20-stone lady.

I have to say it is a rather common occurrence that these fit and healthy cases the media pick up on, often don't look like they are regular peleton users.

The government messaging on this has totally gone by the wayside.
  • Options

"Have you noticed that it is Johnson who likes to announce good news and his underlings bad developments."

Yes: More evidence of his complete lack of proper executive leadership skills. Not fit for office.

Travel restrictions are the responsibility of Grant Shapps and he always announces changes

Maybe on this you not quite right
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Well, on those occasions I've watched him he was pretty good. But he's entitled to have a few off games.

At the moment, there aren't lots of good wicketkeeping options around. Foakes is in a different league. Brown at Sussex and Rossington at Northants are both capable. Davies has faded somewhat. And then, ummm...

I can see why Bracey is so far into the frame, especially as he's so young. He wasn't however Gloucestershire's first choice keeper in red ball cricket until last year (when he didn't play much due to being in the Test bubble) and he is therefore inexperienced. He may improve - equally, he clearly wants to be seen as a batsman.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    https://twitter.com/kallmemeg

"One shining light however is that vaccination still appears to be making an impact on spread

73% of Delta cases are in unvaccinated people

Only 3.7% Delta cases are in people who’ve had both doses"

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1400492226099167235
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708

Although his odds appear 999/1 I am always pleased to see parties stand even in no chance seats.
    It indicates they still feel they are a 'big' party and that they respect democracy.

I sent a short email to the Conservative candidate in my seat back in November 2019 wishing him well despite knowing he'd get absolutely thrased (And he did). And I've wished the Green candidate the same in 2017 when she was leafletting in Bootle New Strand. She got wiped out too......
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Just been looking at the gov COVID dashboard.

Most of the rise over the last 2 weeks has come in Scotland,

Could we, and by that I mean should we, get ever adult in Scotland a first jab, ASAP

By my back of an envelope calculations Scotland needs another 700,000 jabs to get to 90% of adults, they are doing 20,000 a day at the moment, so if we diverted another 80,000 a day for a week we would be there. :)

Apart form demonstrating the value of the Union to Scotland, this would presumably be the best way to reduce cases overall, therefore shut up the ZEROCOVID extremists, and let us all see what happens to the R number with 90% vaccinated.

I don't know how long this would take to divert, as many appointments are booked days in advance, or weather Scotland has enough people to do that many jabs, but I think we should try.
  • Options
    Take a step back and observe the dystopian power game this Government and its frothing scientists are playing. Half term ends this week so they want to scare us all back into our burrows. They like the control they have over our lives. The power it gives them makes them metaphorically hard.

I predict a slump in support for the tories after today's fiasco and yet more doom mongering which I guarantee, absolutely guarantee, a month from now will be shown to have been wildly exaggerated.

But by then you won't be listening because you'll be expected to be wetting your pants over the latest Tonga variant.
  • Options

Although his odds appear 999/1 I am always pleased to see parties stand even in no chance seats.
    It indicates they still feel they are a 'big' party and that they respect democracy.

I sent a short email to the Conservative candidate in my seat back in November 2019 wishing him well despite knowing he'd get absolutely thrased (And he did). And I've wished the Green candidate the same in 2017 when she was leafletting in Bootle New Strand. She got wiped out too......
    XR got a bit overenthusiastic?
  • Options

In a serious accident, taken ill, to name just 2
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited June 2021
    Living in Se Spain - in Andalucía as a whole cases are steadily rising although my own province has seen an equally steady fall which at the moment is being maintained. We are the furthest away from Portugal as it happens. However, even though things are moving quickly, the overall numbers with a first vaccine, are still too low for comfort. I, at 67, don't get my second jab for another 9/10 weeks. Spain seesm determined to go hell for leather for a big tourist summer. I fear it will not go well.
  • Options

Take a step back and observe the dystopian power game this Government and its frothing scientists are playing. Half term ends this week so they want to scare us all back into our burrows. They like the control they have over our lives. The power it gives them makes them metaphorically hard.

I predict a slump in support for the tories after today's fiasco and yet more doom mongering which I guarantee, absolutely guarantee, a month from now will be shown to have been wildly exaggerated.

But by then you won't be listening because you'll be expected to be wetting your pants over the latest Tonga variant.

Calm down dear!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Well, on those occasions I've watched him he was pretty good. But he's entitled to have a few off games.

At the moment, there aren't lots of good wicketkeeping options around. Foakes is in a different league. Brown at Sussex and Rossington at Northants are both capable. Davies has faded somewhat. And then, ummm...

I can see why Bracey is so far into the frame, especially as he's so young. He wasn't however Gloucestershire's first choice keeper in red ball cricket until last year (when he didn't play much due to being in the Test bubble) and he is therefore inexperienced. He may improve - equally, he clearly wants to be seen as a batsman.
    Agreed about Wheater. TBH, I've always rated him. Met him a few years ago when he was debating turning f/t professional and leaving Uni.
    Seemed like a nice, sensible, well balanced young man.
    Agree about Bracey, though.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,446
    BigRich said:

Just been looking at the gov COVID dashboard.

Most of the rise over the last 2 weeks has come in Scotland,

Could we, and by that I mean should we, get ever adult in Scotland a first jab, ASAP

By my back of an envelope calculations Scotland needs another 700,000 jabs to get to 90% of adults, they are doing 20,000 a day at the moment, so if we diverted another 80,000 a day for a week we would be there. :)

Apart form demonstrating the value of the Union to Scotland, this would presumably be the best way to reduce cases overall, therefore shut up the ZEROCOVID extremists, and let us all see what happens to the R number with 90% vaccinated.

I don't know how long this would take to divert, as many appointments are booked days in advance, or weather Scotland has enough people to do that many jabs, but I think we should try.

I don't think that's true. Rises in most parts of England too, particularly the NW.
    But in principle I don't disagree that it might make sense to prioritise the locations where the spread is the greatest, Though there may be reasons why this would not be effective.
  • Options
    If the Indian variant gets to places like Chile, its not going to be good outcome.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,170

I did read that it should take about six weeks to update the vaccines to deal with a vaccine resistant variant.

It'll be alright.
    Pretty much. We will have a winter covid jab, or pill, every year to deal with mutations.

It will be a constant battle between the covid and the vaccines. But nothing to stop us going back to normal, or the new normal.
  • Options

Ah I see.

I have global insurance so I'm not really sure what point you're making. I don't plan my travel around my insurance needs. Never have, never will. Until the past 12 months I spent much of my life travelling the globe.

All life contains risk. And we will all, without exception, die one day.

You only get one of these things and it should be enjoyed.

Fuck the Government.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I am slightly concerned we haven't managed to really ramp up the daily jabs. If we could do a capacity of a million a day, we know we can get through everybody with a 3rd jab in 2-3 months. 600k a day isn't really quick enough.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    Thanks for posting this. Actually this isnt really fuck fuck fuck. If my maffs is correct it means that while tragic for those 17 people and their families, the Delta/Indian variant has a death rate of 0.18% of the total number of cases. Alpha, on the other hand has a "death rate" of 1.95% of the total cases in the same time period. Infection fatality proportion (IFP) for flu is about 0.04, so Covid Delta is still much higher. It would be interesting to know the IFP in vaccinated patients to establish risk

Usual caveats apply, and I have only looked at this very quickly and am not an epidemiologist and may have f**cked up the maffs! Please correct me if I am wrong.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited June 2021
    "Have you noticed that it is Johnson who likes to announce good news and his underlings bad developments."

Eh? This is Shapps, not Boris, annoucing the countries on the Green List in the first place:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57026936

Seems entirely consistent that he should annouce changes to it.
  • Options

I am slightly concerned we haven't managed to really ramp up the daily jabs. If we could do a capacity of a million a day, we know we can get through everybody with a 3rd jab in 2-3 months. 600k a day isn't really quick enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if the third/annual jab rollout was a bit different, such as in offices, supermarkets, big shopping centres, outside football stadia as well as your local GP.
  • Options

If the Indian variant gets to places like Chile, its not going to be good outcome.

Whatever flippant remark TSE thinks he can make, the fact is that a lot of people are very angry about this and the headlines tomorrow aren't going to be happy for the mysteriously absent Boris.

I don't normally frequent this site later in the day but came on here to express my anger. And this is from someone who voted 2 x Conservative last month.

The more TSE does a Davey boy Cameron and tells me to 'calm down dear' the less likely it is that I will ever vote Conservative again.

We have a stellar vaccination programme. We HAVE to get on and live our lives. Yes, some may die because of the easing. It's a price we have to pay.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,376
    The Conservative Party has been fined for sending spam emails to 2 million people after Boris was elected leader; not to be confused with the 23 million emails it sent during the election campaign.
    https://news.sky.com/story/conservative-party-fined-10-000-for-sending-emails-to-people-who-did-not-want-to-get-them-12323911

• Options
    The PM's had his second jab.
  • Options

Ah I see.

I have global insurance so I'm not really sure what point you're making. I don't plan my travel around my insurance needs. Never have, never will. Until the past 12 months I spent much of my life travelling the globe.

Fuck the Government.
    I have travelled from the Artic to the Antarctic quite literally, and all places in between including 7 round the world trips

Travel insurance only becomes an issue when the unexpected happens and that has happened to us on occasions, and then the small print takes over, global insurance or not, and insurers will always use it to get out of claims, sometimes for thousands of pounds or more
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Would you mind sending a quick email to the Chesham & Amersham Tory, wishing him well?
  • Options
    Just received this from someone close, normally a tory leaner:

"I think it is disgraceful the way the government are handling international travel, portugal being put on the amber list at short notice is unacceptable. The government are riding rough shot over people.they have messed up the travel industry, fouled peoples' holidays up. They are a disgrace."

I bid you goodnight but the tories will take a hit in the polls over this.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I wouldn't be surprised if the third/annual jab rollout was a bit different, such as in offices, supermarkets, big shopping centres, outside football stadia as well as your local GP.
    Not sure I fancy Doris from the fish counter at Waitrose giving me my jab...
  • Options
    To be clear: the Hong Kong police requested a foreign company to take down a website, involving people *outside of Hong Kong* and they complied. When they said the NSL applies to anyone, everywhere, it was hard to imagine global companies complying — but here they are.

https://twitter.com/ShibaniMahtani/status/1400396453848231937

Wix has reinstated HK Charter's website, saying it was "removed by mistake."

"We have reviewed our initial screening and have realized that the website never should have been removed and we would like to apologize."

https://twitter.com/ShibaniMahtani/status/1400448015953891330
  • Options

I'm thinking if @Cocky_cockney can get hold of him he's going to get lots of jabs. Short arm ones...
  • Options

Just received this from someone close, normally a tory leaner:

"I think it is disgraceful the way the government are handling international travel, portugal being put on the amber list at short notice is unacceptable. The government are riding rough shot over people.they have messed up the travel industry, fouled peoples' holidays up. They are a disgrace."

I bid you goodnight but the tories will take a hit in the polls over this.

Oh dear, how sad. Never mind!
  • Options

How about Lynsey from Aldi's checkouts?
  • Options

Ah I see.

Fuck the Government.
    I have travelled from the Artic to the Antarctic quite literally, and all places in between including 7 round the world trips

Travel insurance only becomes an issue when the unexpected happens and that has happened to us on occasions, and then the small print takes over, global insurance or not, and insurers will always use it to get out of claims, sometimes for thousands of pounds or more
    Yeah it's happened to me too and I've had quite a number of overseas hospitalisations. I usually just pay for them privately.

Had a couple of occasions when I needed to return in a hurry so I ... bought a plane ticket.

Best advice is to make sure you have some financial back up. Don't just rely on insurance.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Google has removed its head of diversity over a 2007 blog post that said Jewish people had "an insatiable appetite for war and killing"...But not sacked....just given a different role.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    Bit of good news from the phe report. CFR of 0.2%. Clear evidence of vaccine effect there.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Oh dear.

This latest reversal is about as close as you're going to get to an admission from the Government that foreign holidays are over for a long time. Whether that's the rest of the Summer, the rest of the year, or for several years to come, who can say?

The fundamental problem is with the variants. A new strain of the Indian variant has been mentioned as one of the justifications for downgrading Portugal, whilst a number of other countries have deployed a similar excuse for cancelling or delaying opening back up to travellers from here, too.

It's very easy to imagine that, the more effective a job the Government does in easing the burden of Covid in the UK, the greater the pressure to prevent reimportation from abroad. The end point could well be a Fortress Britain, not unlike Australia or New Zealand, where tourism and family visits in and out of the country are either banned outright or rendered impractical and ruinously expensive by regulation.
  • Options

Google has removed its head of diversity over a 2007 blog post that said Jewish people had "an insatiable appetite for war and killing"...But not sacked....just given a different role.

I'm sure Toby Young and his Free Speech Union mob will be along to defend him.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Until most people have had their second jab it seems the government is being ultra cautious in terms of allowing travel abroad quarantine free, hence barely any countries are now on the green list
  • Options
    See, you all laughed at me for going on holiday to Blackpool, but just imagine if I had booked a holiday in Oporto.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

The Hartlepool variant.......

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3443568/ukip-fight-hartlepool-paul-nuttall-campaign/
  • Options
    Trent Alexander-Arnold ruled out of Euro 2020.
  • Options

Mrs U wouldn't let me go to an Aldi...what would the neighbours think.
  • Options

Thanks for posting this. Actually this isnt really fuck fuck fuck. If my maffs is correct it means that while tragic for those 17 people and their families, the Delta/Indian variant has a death rate of 0.18% of the total number of cases. Alpha, on the other hand has a "death rate" of 1.95% of the total cases in the same time period. Infection fatality proportion (IFP) for flu is about 0.04, so Covid Delta is still much higher. It would be interesting to know the IFP in vaccinated patients to establish risk

Usual caveats apply, and I have only looked at this very quickly and am not an epidemiologist and may have f**cked up the maffs! Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Looks right to me. Vaccines are doing what we expect. We always knew cases would rise, but the link should be broken.
  • Options

Ah I see.

Fuck the Government.

Yeah it's happened to me too and I've had quite a number of overseas hospitalisations. I usually just pay for them privately.

Had a couple of occasions when I needed to return in a hurry so I ... bought a plane ticket.

Best advice is to make sure you have some financial back up. Don't just rely on insurance.
    I know you are angry but to be honest near 70% of the public do not intend going abroad this year and there are health requirements if you do

I understand 3 coaches of Chelsea fans have tested for covid (I have only heard that second hand) on returning from Portugal and to be honest we just have to protect the borders if we are to open on the 21st June

It also goes without saying vaccinating is the most important endeavour now
  • Options

Isn’t the normal way to sneak in but with your Waitrose bags?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

See, you all laughed at me for going on holiday to Blackpool, but just imagine if I had booked a holiday in Oporto.

Those aren't the only two choices.
  • Options

A few years ago a friend was hurt in a car accident, nothing too serious, but for a few weeks she couldn't drive and asked me to take her shopping once a week, she took me to Aldi.

I was introduced to things like the aisle of shite.

I haven't been that scared since that time in 2002 I was nearly kidnapped by gunmen affiliated to Hezbollah.
  • Options

They are most unlikely to advise you that “sua cama está dentro do guarda-roupa e você deve dobrá-la para baixo”
  • Options

Trent Alexander-Arnold ruled out of Euro 2020.

Better pick another right back.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

The Conservative Party has been fined for sending spam emails to 2 million people after Boris was elected leader; not to be confused with the 23 million emails it sent during the election campaign.
    https://news.sky.com/story/conservative-party-fined-10-000-for-sending-emails-to-people-who-did-not-want-to-get-them-12323911

They've been emailing me for years, every week or two - Boris has "personally selected" me as a key supporter, they only need £xxx to make a real difference in Batley & Spen, blah, blah. I've never consented to it, though it amuses me so I've never demanded to be removed either.
  • Options

Oh dear.

This latest reversal is about as close as you're going to get to an admission from the Government that foreign holidays are over for a long time. Whether that's the rest of the Summer, the rest of the year, or for several years to come, who can say?

The fundamental problem is with the variants. A new strain of the Indian variant has been mentioned as one of the justifications for downgrading Portugal, whilst a number of other countries have deployed a similar excuse for cancelling or delaying opening back up to travellers from here, too.

It's very easy to imagine that, the more effective a job the Government does in easing the burden of Covid in the UK, the greater the pressure to prevent reimportation from abroad. The end point could well be a Fortress Britain, not unlike Australia or New Zealand, where tourism and family visits in and out of the country are either banned outright or rendered impractical and ruinously expensive by regulation.
    A very gloomy prognosis. I think the government needs to start talking levels of risk and to some extent start allowing people to make their own decisions. A start would be vaccine passports. This should be appealing for Conservatives because it will favour their supporters (older people who have had two jabs). If the Infection fatality proportion of those with vaccine passports is no higher than flu it is time to share that with the public and say to people, if you want to travel, get the jab. Now that all people who are vulnerable have been vaccinated perhaps it is time to let market forces come in and say that if you want to travel pay for the jab. If you don't stay at home.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Are we still supply constrained or have places taken their foot off the gas with the bank holiday
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,939

A few years ago a friend was hurt in a car accident, nothing too serious, but for a few weeks she couldn't drive and asked me to take her shopping once a week, she took me to Aldi.

I was introduced to things like the aisle of shite.

I haven't been that scared since that time in 2002 I was nearly kidnapped by gunmen affiliated to Hezbollah.
    Aldi can be hit & miss, but you’re missing out on some pretty great chocolate. Not all the savings from their “make the customer do all the work“ ethos go into the price.
  • Options

Two Pricks Boris
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Are we still supply constrained or have places taken their foot off the gas with the bank holiday
    Mid May we were supposed to see a massive expansion and it never really appeared. Yes more doses, but not in the way that was been talked about.
  • Options

Two Pricks Boris
    Is he from Kathmandu?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Eh?

9,427 Delta Cases. Of these, just 267 had received both doses. (And bear in mind, this isn't "two weeks post second dose", it's simply "received both doses".)

That implies to me that the vaccine is pretty bloody effective, especially given that it is the most vulnerable 50% of adults who have received both doses.

Now, the efficacy for one dose doesn't look that great. *BUT* a lot of those first dose people will have been historic AZ people, where the efficacy builds over about 12 weeks. And we've moved to most new doses being Pfizer/Moderna now, so that's going to be much less of an issue.
  • Options

Having read through, the CFR for Alpha is over the entire period since October (ie including the majority of the time prior to lots of people being vaccinated), so isn’t a decent comparator. CFR has dropped by an order of magnitude since vaccination became widespread.

That said, a CFR of 0.2% for Delta isn’t really standing out to me as being of noticeably increased deadliness, anyway. I may well have missed something significant, though.
  • Options
    From another PB.

>> Well handled <<

An upstanding effort

The consensus on Keir Starmer's recent appearance on Piers Morgan's Life Stories seems to be fairly positive; that the risk paid off and Starmer came across as broadly human. But a much more glowing endorsement of Starmer's interview technique came from the Garrick Theatre, where he did a live Q&A last week with Matt Forde.

About 3/4 of the way through Starmer's segment, someone in the audience sounded as if they were getting a real kick out of his stories. Not by laughing. Nor with applause. From the back rows came the suspicious sounds of someone receiving a handjob.
  • Options

I think that implies it's very similar (death-wise) to traditional Covid, it's just that the people catching Delta are younger, and therefore less likely to die.

And there are going to be fewer and fewer vulnerable individuals every single week, as more and more people get vaccinated.
  • Options

From another PB.
    An upstanding effort

The consensus on Keir Starmer's recent appearance on Piers Morgan's Life Stories seems to be fairly positive; that the risk paid off and Starmer came across as broadly human. But a much more glowing endorsement of Starmer's interview technique came from the Garrick Theatre, where he did a live Q&A last week with Matt Forde.

About 3/4 of the way through Starmer's segment, someone in the audience sounded as if they were getting a real kick out of his stories. Not by laughing. Nor with applause. From the back rows came the suspicious sounds of someone receiving a handjob.

Well, at least unlike Johnson he didn't blow it.
  • Options
    So who does Waistcoat call up for England?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

From another PB.
    An upstanding effort

A wag on twitter speculates...

'I wonder if Trump was in town and Piers Morgan was in attendance, researching for his own interview.'
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,236
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Mostly we're supply constrained, but there do seem to be issues in some areas. NHS Lothian admit that they've put their mass vaccination centres in places that suit the older people who were vaccinated first, so they're not in the best places for vaccinating the younger population of Edinburgh.

This has caused some problems for some of my friends who have young children.
  • Options

Logically Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Eh?

9,427 Delta Cases. Of these, just 267 had received both doses. (And bear in mind, this isn't "two weeks post second dose", it's simply "received both doses".)

That implies to me that the vaccine is pretty bloody effective, especially given that it is the most vulnerable 50% of adults who have received both doses.

Now, the efficacy for one dose doesn't look that great. *BUT* a lot of those first dose people will have been historic AZ people, where the efficacy builds over about 12 weeks. And we've moved to most new doses being Pfizer/Moderna now, so that's going to be much less of an issue.
    I thought I must have missed something, because I didn’t get alarmed reading the document, either.
    In fact, the graphic of the geographical spread quite late in the document stood out to me as saying that Delta was being incredibly slow to get traction as an outbreak. And the numbers, as you refer to, didn’t look alarming to me. They were shouting “vax everyone and this bastard will disappear down the escalator with a despairing wail”.
  • Options
    felix said:

Living in Se Spain - in Andalucía as a whole cases are steadily rising although my own province has seen an equally steady fall which at the moment is being maintained. We are the furthest away from Portugal as it happens. However, even though things are moving quickly, the overall numbers with a first vaccine, are still too low for comfort. I, at 67, don't get my second jab for another 9/10 weeks. Spain seesm determined to go hell for leather for a big tourist summer. I fear it will not go well.

Which vaccine did you get? If Pfizer, then you have nothing to worry about, as it's about 98% effective against hospitalisation after just a single dose and a couple of weeks.

Plus the more people that get that first dose, the less likely you are to catch it from someone.

You are worrying unduly. The Southern US has completely opened up (and did so when not as jabbed as Spain is now) and has managed it without issue. Places like Vegas, Orlando and Miami are now booming, and yet case numbers continue to relentlessly fall.
  • Options

My understanding is that there is now plenty of inventory in the UK, so it's unclear why they don't follow the US strategy of letting pretty much every pharmacy do jabs.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Now you see the mistake you are making there is logically....

I thought Wan-Bissaka was talking about switching allegiances?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610

We haven't really improved the pace since February which is disappointing. The country's best brains should have been working on it since then.
  • Options
    England finish on Nelson. Guaranteed to lose a wicket first thing tomorrow.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,170

Now you see the mistake you are making there is logically....

I thought Wan-Bissaka was talking about switching allegiances?
    If he’s any good it makes it even more imperative to get him on board.
  • Options

Having read through, the CFR for Alpha is over the entire period since October (ie including the majority of the time prior to lots of people being vaccinated), so isn’t a decent comparator. CFR has dropped by an order of magnitude since vaccination became widespread.

That said, a CFR of 0.2% for Delta isn’t really standing out to me as being of noticeably increased deadliness, anyway. I may well have missed something significant, though.
    Yes, that was my conclusion too. It would be interesting to know the IFR or CFR for patients who have had jab 2. Incidentally interesting that you have used "CFR", because CFR and IFR are different. I am not sure whether the "cases" on that report are hospitalisations or estimated or reported infections (including asymptomatic infection).

For those that are interested, the CFR is the total number of deaths divided by the total number of people that have the disease’s symptoms. In contrast, the IFR is the total number of deaths divided by the total number of people that carry the infection. If the numbers I used are actually CFR then this would be very different to the IFR number I quoted for flu. Therefore if the CFR for Covid Delta is 0.18%, we can assume the IFR is much lower as a percentage as it does not include non-hospitalised cases . I think!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

England finish on Nelson. Guaranteed to lose a wicket first thing tomorrow.

All this interest, and we are only playing a bunch of tourists? Come on guys...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    No idea why most of England is still 30+ tbh.
    Should be open to all over 18
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    ydoethur said:

From another PB.
    An upstanding effort

Interesting but it'll never stand up in court
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    rcs1000 said:

My understanding is that there is now plenty of inventory in the UK, so it's unclear why they don't follow the US strategy of letting pretty much every pharmacy do jabs.
    Control. The central bureaucracy knows best.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No idea why most of England is still 30+ tbh.
    Should be open to all over 18

On the island we are struggling to progress below 40. The story having been in local media for three weeks now, the MP (who despite his claims I doubt actually spends much time here) has surfaced to promise a solution by mid-June. Which is pitiful given our position at the epicentre of the new fashion for beach holidays in the UK.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Yes, that was my conclusion too. It would be interesting to know the IFR or CFR for patients who have had jab 2. Incidentally interesting that you have used "CFR", because CFR and IFR are different. I am not sure whether the "cases" on that report are hospitalisations or estimated or reported infections (including asymptomatic infection).

For those that are interested, the CFR is the total number of deaths divided by the total number of people that have the disease’s symptoms. In contrast, the IFR is the total number of deaths divided by the total number of people that carry the infection. If the numbers I used are actually CFR then this would be very different to the IFR number I quoted for flu. Therefore if the CFR for Covid Delta is 0.18%, we can assume the IFR is much lower as a percentage as it does not include non-hospitalised cases . I think!
    I don’t think we can know the IFR of Delta yet.
    Cases, yes, but we don’t really know the number of infections of it.
    A Case Fatality Rate of only 0.18% is, as you say, encouraging.
This discussion has been closed.