Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Now we have the build-up to the Cummings appearance before Commons Health and Science Committee – po

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited May 2021 in General
Now we have the build-up to the Cummings appearance before Commons Health and Science Committee – politicalbetting.com

Dusting this down ahead of 9.30am Weds when Cummings will give evidence on the govt’s handling of the Covid pandemic to health/sci cttee joint inquiry. What to expect ??What Cummings has to say about govt’s handling of pandemic will be box office viewinghttps://t.co/GpxrsXUHpv

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021
    First to the grand opening, the political showbiz event of the century.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2021
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

kle4 said:

PM 'wanted to be infected with Covid on live TV, called virus Kung-Flu and was slow to act because he was on holiday with Carrie': Just some of the grenades Dominic Cummings will lob at Boris Johnson tomorrow in explosive evidence to MPs

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9618511/PM-wanted-infected-Covid-live-TV-called-virus-Kung-Flu.html

I'm calling bullcrap on the first one, it doesn't sound remotely plausible. That's the problem with Cummings loving to be dramatic, I bet a lot of bombshell claims will escape notice or be allowed an easy escape because he has to go one step too far to make things exciting.
    “Slow to act because he was on holiday “with Carrie” makes it sound like some illicit fling, rather than a holiday with his pregnant (?) girlfriend (fiancé?). And that the problem was not being on holiday (are PM’s not allowed holidays now?), but Carrie - which probably speaks to Cummings’ wider agenda.

Of course, as I mentioned the other day, at the time that Covid was first emerging Johnson was getting a lot of Opposition and press criticism for going AWOL and not devoting enough attention to... flooding.
    In the early days of the pandemic, literally everybody miscalculated the potential problem....other than some crazy bloke on here who kept posting online video of old Chinese people collapsing in the street.

It was seen as that a terrible thing going on in Wuhan, we need to help and / or get our citizens out of there. Not, oh crap if it gets here it will be just as bad, or even is it already here....There was huge Western exceptionalism, which was the Chinese have worse health, heavily polluted cities and their healthcare just isn't as good.
    Which was reasonable to believe at first.
    Especially given prior memory of things like SARS which had at the time seemed to scare a lot of people silly, but then in the event never made it here. That’s not of course to prejudge what we may find out ministers were being briefed in private, which is rather more of the big unknown. I would be highly surprised, however, if there was any serious advice being given along the lines of some of the more extreme measures that people are now with the benefit of hindsight saying would have headed the whole thing off.
    I think the government have often been too slow to act, but its a matter of record that is only when the Ferguson model crunched the latest data (which included early Italian numbers) did everybody shit the bed.

Up to that point, there had been loads of it won't be that bad here mindset, and despite this paper that says 1 in 10 end up in hospital, look at the gross numbers, they are tiny for such a massive city. We now know the Chinese were lying, the percentages were about right, but the gross numbers were orders of magnitude out.

Where the government were too slow has been when there has been a window to make a decision, with the option lockdown now, wait a week or two and / or go for regional systems...each time they have gone for the lesser option and we know with COVID that just doesn't work.
  • Options

All fart and no follow through from Dom tomorrow is my prediction.

For someone who was telling people he had a galaxy brain and that he was more powerful than the PM it turns out Dom wasn't that clever or powerful.

He's a pound shop Rasputin.

I am sure the media will lap up all his claims. Lots of bad headlines of inappropriate things Boris has said and done.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I expect it will be as Box Office as Bladerunner 2049 , Cats (2019) or Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,921
    edited May 2021
    It’s like Mesut Ozil giving an interview saying Arteta refused to play an attacking midfielder in the first half of the season, and thought Willian was the solution. Yes, we know. We were angry about it. But he does play one (or two) now every game, and they’re young, exciting kids not crappy old codgers, so we have forgiven him

For this to really hurt Boris, I think it needed to be said about 7-8 months ago
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

For someone who was telling people he had a galaxy brain and that he was more powerful than the PM it turns out Dom wasn't that clever or powerful.

The other thing is hasn’t he already had one go at testifying before a select committee laying into all number of people about how they got it all wrong and he had personally identified all the problems and produced all the solutions from day 1? So this is already round 2.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,216
    I will be disappointed if there isn't something as batshit insane as the Barnard Castle Eye Test. That is the standard of performance we have come to expect from D. Cummings and anything less than that will be a sad sign of decline. They have to give the Star something to work with.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390

I am sure the media will lap up all his claims. Lots of bad headlines of inappropriate things Boris has said and done.
    I was texting a former CCHQ official earlier on tonight and he thinks the big thing Dom might drop tomorrow is who paid for the Downing Street flat renovations.

Whilst the story hasn't cut through in the way opponents of the PM had hoped if Dom does drop a donor's name then Boris is buggered because like Al Capone he's doing to have a tax problem. It should have been declared as a benefit in kind/P11D between last April and July, if it wasn't HMRC are going to crack down on that big style.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

I expect it will be as Box Office as Bladerunner 2049 , Cats (2019) or Solo: A Star Wars Story

Bladerunner 2049 was great. No idea why you've included it with the other two turds.
  • Options
    Watching Michael Portillo in Hackney, getting a frosty reception at the Morning Star!
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

kle4 said:

PM 'wanted to be infected with Covid on live TV, called virus Kung-Flu and was slow to act because he was on holiday with Carrie': Just some of the grenades Dominic Cummings will lob at Boris Johnson tomorrow in explosive evidence to MPs

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9618511/PM-wanted-infected-Covid-live-TV-called-virus-Kung-Flu.html

I'm calling bullcrap on the first one, it doesn't sound remotely plausible. That's the problem with Cummings loving to be dramatic, I bet a lot of bombshell claims will escape notice or be allowed an easy escape because he has to go one step too far to make things exciting.
    “Slow to act because he was on holiday “with Carrie” makes it sound like some illicit fling, rather than a holiday with his pregnant (?) girlfriend (fiancé?). And that the problem was not being on holiday (are PM’s not allowed holidays now?), but Carrie - which probably speaks to Cummings’ wider agenda.

Of course, as I mentioned the other day, at the time that Covid was first emerging Johnson was getting a lot of Opposition and press criticism for going AWOL and not devoting enough attention to... flooding.
    In the early days of the pandemic, literally everybody miscalculated the potential problem....other than some crazy bloke on here who kept posting online video of old Chinese people collapsing in the street.

It was seen as that a terrible thing going on in Wuhan, we need to help and / or get our citizens out of there. Not, oh crap if it gets here it will be just as bad, or even is it already here....There was huge Western exceptionalism, which was the Chinese have worse health, heavily polluted cities and their healthcare just isn't as good.
    Especially given prior memory of things like SARS which had at the time seemed to scare a lot of people silly, but then in the event never made it here. That’s not of course to prejudge what we may find out ministers were being briefed in private, which is rather more of the big unknown. I would be highly surprised, however, if there was any serious advice being given along the lines of some of the more extreme measures that people are now with the benefit of hindsight saying would have headed the whole thing off.
    I think the government have often been too slow to act, but its a matter of record that is only when the Ferguson model crunched the latest data (which included early Italian numbers) did everybody shit the bed.

Up to that point, there had been loads of it won't be that bad here mindset, and despite this paper that says 1 in 10 end up in hospital, look at the gross numbers, they are tiny for such a massive city. We now know the Chinese were lying, the percentages were about right, but the gross numbers were orders of magnitude out.

Where the government were too slow has been when there has been a window to make a decision, with the option lockdown now, wait a week or two and / or go for regional systems...each time they have gone for the lesser option and we know with COVID that just doesn't work.
    Except we know form Sweden, Iceland, some US states and a few other places, that did work.

Cases get bad in an area, news and media notice and publicises, then people voluntarily change their behaver, 'flattening the curve' then just as cases drop the government starts to do something.

We have ended up with the worsed result on all fronts (except the vaccine)
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Piers Morgan asks Kier Starmer if he’s taken drugs 14 times but he refuses to answer

The Labour leader squirmed during a grilling sparked by claims he was a “party animal” at university.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/15066704/piers-morgan-keir-starmer-drugs-life-stories/

Its such a silly approach, just say yes....Nobody is going to give a monkeys if you had a cheeky smoke 40 years ago.

There used to be a R5 show, was it Pienaar which asked a regular series of questions to the MP of week who was the guest and it was always have you done drugs. I remember some Tory, just said yes, of course, and next week Stephen Kinnock came on and did a Starmer.

That all been said, I can't believe Starmer was a party animal....I mean the man is so boring. Chess club captain perhaps, but the big man on campus?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:
    I know Judgemeadow. Best state school in Leicester in results terms.

Nice to see kids taking an interest in politics.
    Yes, and defying the modern English trend against religious belief. How quaint
    Well, some people are stunningly fucking naive.

We do not expect to see placard waving mobs howling Allahu Akbar stomping through schools in this country. Nothing good will come of it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Bladerunner 2049 was great. No idea why you've included it with the other two turds.
    Fair enough, I thought from memory it was a much hyped box office disappointment, like the other two were too?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    edited May 2021

Piers Morgan asks Kier Starmer if he’s taken drugs 14 times but he refuses to answer

The Labour leader squirmed during a grilling sparked by claims he was a “party animal” at university.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/15066704/piers-morgan-keir-starmer-drugs-life-stories/

Its such a silly approach, just say yes....Nobody is going to give a monkeys if you had a cheeky smoke 40 years ago.

There used to be a R5 show, was it Pienaar which asked a regular series of questions to the MP of week who was the guest and it was always have you done drugs. I remember some Tory, just said yes, of course, and next week Stephen Kinnock came on and did a Starmer.

FFS. Why doesn't he just say he was one for the doobage?
    Many people his age were. It makes him more relatable, and, arguably, interesting.
    Who the heck is advising him?
    Edit. I see you said pretty much the same in the extended remix of your post. I replied to the radio play single.
    All bloody baffling.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    FPT

I'm already booked in for 26 June for my second, so seems safe to assume that almost all over 40s will also already be done (or at least eligible to be done) before July starts. So if by July there's no significant first doses left and there's only under-40s left to second dose (and some like myself will already be done) then there's going to really be no supply constraints.

I'm 43 and my 2nd jab isn't scheduled until 21st July. That's just under 12 weeks after my first, which I got pretty much as soon as slots opened up for my age group. So I reckon unless they bring the gap between jabs in for 40+ as they have 50+ (quite possible I guess?) there will be a lot of over-40s like me who got jab 1 in late April/early May and so are due for jab 2 in July.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

kle4 said:

While clearly the Chinese muddied the waters in early January, in late Jan 2020 there were a number of papers published in the BMJ and Lancet that were extremely accurate in terms of r value, fatality rate, risk factors etc. I cited them on here, and they were available to the government in Feb 2020, but were ignored. For example:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30185-9/fulltext

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m308
  • Options
    BigRich said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

kle4 said:

Except we know form Sweden, Iceland, some US states and a few other places, that did work.

Cases get bad in an area, news and media notice and publicises, then people voluntarily change their behaver, 'flattening the curve' then just as cases drop the government starts to do something.

Easy to forget that when the Govt first started issuing tentative guidance about staying away from crowded pubs/restaurants etc that there was a lot of pressure from within the industries themselves for them to go further and actually close them down because of the fears that business interruption insurance wouldn’t kick in without clear Govt instructions...
  • Options
    pm215 said:

FPT

I'm already booked in for 26 June for my second, so seems safe to assume that almost all over 40s will also already be done (or at least eligible to be done) before July starts. So if by July there's no significant first doses left and there's only under-40s left to second dose (and some like myself will already be done) then there's going to really be no supply constraints.

I'm 43 and my 2nd jab isn't scheduled until 21st July. That's just under 12 weeks after my first, which I got pretty much as soon as slots opened up for my age group. So I reckon unless they bring the gap between jabs in for 40+ as they have 50+ (quite possible I guess?) there will be a lot of over-40s like me who got jab 1 in late April/early May and so are due for jab 2 in July.
    You can reschedule for 8 weeks after the first if you want now online.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    dixiedean said:

Many people his age were. It makes him more relatable, and, arguably, interesting.
    Edit. I see you said pretty much the same in the extended remix of your post. I replied to the radio play single.
    All bloody baffling.
    In fact....he could even use it as a platform for talking about reform of drug laws.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

BigRich said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

kle4 said:

Easy to forget that when the Govt first started issuing tentative guidance about staying away from crowded pubs/restaurants etc that there was a lot of pressure from within the industries themselves for them to go further and actually close them down because of the fears that business interruption insurance wouldn’t kick in without clear Govt instructions...
    Do you remember when Boris closed the pubs...what did everybody do, think shit they must be a dangerous place to go...nope piled into them.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    Most likely he didn't partake, but doesn't want to be seen as a boring square for not doing so...

• Options

dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    In fact....he could even use it as a platform for talking about reform of drug laws.
    I think the "safe" answer nowadays is to say yes, it was in the past, and not get into any details.

At the last Tory leadership election the various candidates virtually fell over themselves to acknowledge their drug taking past, but Gove talking about Cocaine made him a laughing stock (his own personal articles on cocaine written in the past resurfacing probably didn't help to be fair).
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    One theory I've heard about politicians not wanting to admit to past drug use is that they have children who are teenagers/students and they don't want to give them a free pass to do drugs because mummy or daddy publicly admitted to doing the wacky baccy or something stronger when they were students.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    Most likely he didn't partake, but doesn't want to be seen as a boring square for not doing so...

We've gone a long way from the cool and edgy politicians answer being "I smoked but didn't inhale"
  • Options

alex_ said:

BigRich said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

kle4 said:

Do you remember when Boris closed the pubs...what did everybody do, think shit they must be a dangerous place to go...nope piled into them.
    Well there was mixed messaging with people hearing that handgel was only effective if it had high alcohol content... ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Dom should left government on 31st January 2020 - Brexit achieved, Tory landslide achieved, his status would have been legendary.

Unfortunately he hung around too long...
  • Options

pm215 said:

FPT

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
    Thanks. I actually didn't know that. Was under the impression I had to wait to be contacted. Will look into it tomorrow. Cheers!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,979
    edited May 2021
    dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.

pm215 said:

FPT

Yes, I keep telling @SandyRentool this but he seems determined to wait for a letter!
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,199

I was texting a former CCHQ official earlier on tonight and he thinks the big thing Dom might drop tomorrow is who paid for the Downing Street flat renovations.

Whilst the story hasn't cut through in the way opponents of the PM had hoped if Dom does drop a donor's name then Boris is buggered because like Al Capone he's doing to have a tax problem. It should have been declared as a benefit in kind/P11D between last April and July, if it wasn't HMRC are going to crack down on that big style.
    Is it still a benefit in kind given he doesn't own number 10 and if he doesn't take the furniture when he leaves?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

pm215 said:

FPT

Thanks. I actually didn't know that. Was under the impression I had to wait to be contacted. Will look into it tomorrow. Cheers!
    I only knew because I saw @Anabobazina tell someone else!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,971
    carnforth said:

Is it still a benefit in kind given he doesn't own number 10 and if he doesn't take the furniture when he leaves?
    Yes.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

pm215 said:

FPT

And I only found out by accident because I had to move my original appointment due to a diary clash!
  • Options
    eek said:

carnforth said:

Yes.
    Becuase it was paid to him, and the he paid for the renovation? If the donor had sent the direct to the downing st maintenance dept, would it be different? Still a political donation in either case, presumably.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

He's an officer of the Conservative Party, he was at best given a retrospective 60k loan by the party, that's a benefit in kind at best.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    One theory I've heard about politicians not wanting to admit to past drug use is that they have children who are teenagers/students and they don't want to give them a free pass to do drugs because mummy or daddy publicly admitted to doing the wacky baccy or something stronger when they were students.
    Could be. Didn’t William Straw (Jack’s son) get caught in a honey trap by Daily Mirror? They sent some pretty reporter to a bar he was in IIRC and she asked him to score her some pills/weed - which he duly did!
  • Options
    edited May 2021

dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    Or even. Call for some honest talk on the subject. Maybe even ask the PM and Cabinet members to be open?
    We are getting to the ages of senior politicians now, (I'm 54) where drug use was, if not ubiquitous, then certainly widespread in my youth. Hard to believe the majority of University educated people in the late eighties and nineties never tried anything.
    Another shooting opportunity he's chosen to pass all the way back to the keeper.
    And he's 3-0 down in the second half.
    Sigh.
  • Options

carnforth said:

He's an officer of the Conservative Party, he was at best given a retrospective 60k loan by the party, that's a benefit in kind at best.
    The financial value of the loan is the interest which would have been paid if it were on commercial terms?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923

dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    You've got two choices when asked this sort of question as a politician. Either you can give witty answer, or an honest one.
    This is Boris' advantage over Starmer.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    Or even. Call for some honest talk on the subject. Maybe even ask the PM and Cabinet members to be open?
    We are getting to the ages of senior politicians now, (I'm 54) where drug use was, if not ubiquitous, then certainly widespread in my youth. Hard to believe the majority of University educated people in the late eighties and nineties never tried anything.
    Another shooting opportunity he's chosen to pass all the way back to the keeper.
    Sigh.
    We've gone in not that long a period from it being shocking to admit you took drugs, to mundane and expected - or even "I don't believe you did, don't try and pretend to be cool"
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,583
    Is dognap a word?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    Sigh.
    We've gone in not that long a period from it being shocking to admit you took drugs, to mundane and expected - or even "I don't believe you did, don't try and pretend to be cool"
    Watch the first part of last week's Mock the Week for an example of exactly that.
  • Options
    Perhaps in 25 years time, it will all be about denying you were ever a meat eater at uni :-)
  • Options

That all been said, I can't believe Starmer was a party animal....I mean the man is so boring. Chess club captain perhaps, but the big man on campus?

“ Sir Keir said: “I haven’t said no.”

He must have tried drugs, else he’d just say he hadn’t. But it is a tricky one for him as admitting it opens all kinds of cans of worms. I can see why he’d prevaricate

Hardly leaving ‘nothing in the locker’ as Morgan claims though, if he won’t tell all. He won’t speak about how many conquests he’s had either, according to that report.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Is dognap a word?

Yes. But it isn't the same as catnap.
    Nor even carnal, as my autocorrect suggests...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    You've got two choices when asked this sort of question as a politician. Either you can give witty answer, or an honest one.
    Some politicians probably say they smoked weed as a student even when they didn't, to avoid being labelled as boring.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

The financial value of the loan is the interest which would have been paid if it were on commercial terms?
    No.

It is gets incredibly messy and complicated is that the Conservative Party isn't a limited liability company or a company in any way shape or form (but it does have a charitable section built on it.)

Now it really doesn't have any business giving out loans to officers or employees of the government.

If this was a normal company and the loan hadn't been repaid within 6/9 months then it leads to a tax charge for the company, how the Conservative Party doesn't pay any corporation tax, so the tax liability shifts to the officer/employee.

So on an unpaid 60k loan, the tax payable would be 45% for our PM, so £27k payable for the PM.
  • Options
    isam said:

He must have tried drugs, else he’d just say he hadn’t. But it is a tricky one for him as admitting it opens all kinds of cans of worms. I can see why he’d prevaricate

Hardly leaving ‘nothing in the locker’ as Morgan claims though, if he won’t tell all. He won’t speak about how many conquests he’s had either, according to that report.
    Sounds very boring....we have an explosive interview, where the interviewee says "not telling"...

Howard Stern didn't get the big ratings back in the day for his radio show from having guests say "not saying".
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

No.

It is gets incredibly messy and complicated is that the Conservative Party isn't a limited liability company or a company in any way shape or form (but it does have a charitable section built on it.)

Now it really doesn't have any business giving out loans to officers or employees of the government.

If this was a normal company and the loan hadn't been repaid within 6/9 months then it leads to a tax charge for the company, how the Conservative Party doesn't pay any corporation tax, so the tax liability shifts to the officer/employee.

So on an unpaid 60k loan, the tax payable would be 45% for our PM, so £27k payable for the PM.
    Ouch, Can he deduct £27k from his taxes in a future year if he repays the loan?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    My answer would be that I've never taken drugs, I was too scared of dying don't need to take drugs to have a good time.

Very few people who know me would call me boring.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

If a donor paid for it then it’s not a tax issue - it’s a gift.

BiK/P11D relate to non-cash emoluments from your *employer*
  • Options
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

No.

Ouch, Can he deduct £27k from his taxes in a future year if he repays the loan?
    Yup.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

MaxPB said:

Fair enough, I thought from memory it was a much hyped box office disappointment, like the other two were too?
    It was a box office disappointment but a critical success, unlike the cinematic abomination of Cats(reportedly, I never saw it), and the blandest paint by numbers movie in existence.
  • Options

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

We do not expect to see placard waving mobs howling Allahu Akbar stomping through schools in this country. Nothing good will come of it.
    That’s a hostile environment for white Christian I guess
  • Options
    Charles said:

My P11Ds have always included cash emoluments as well.

Remember he's not an employee of the the Conservative Party but an officer of the party.
  • Options

isam said:

Sounds very boring....we have an explosive interview, where the interviewee says "not telling"...

Howard Stern didn't get the big ratings back in the day for his radio show from having guests say "not saying".
    It does seem like it’s unlikely to have us gasping with shock, or show he has a surprisingly witty repartee, from what’s been leaked. His problem is that the public think he’s a bit bland & it doesn’t sound like much of a game changer in that regard
  • Options
    eek said:

carnforth said:

Yes.
    Even if it’s not from his employer?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Personally, I like bland, most of the time. But these are not yet times for dull competence, alas.
  • Options
    isam said:

Wouldn’t it create issues for his legal licence to admit to a criminal offence?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

It was a box office disappointment but a critical success, unlike the cinematic abomination of Cats(reportedly, I never saw it), and the blandest paint by numbers movie in existence.
    Then it seems relevant on topic.

Quite possible tomorrow the "critics" will be raving about it, while it still remains a box office flop that doesn't move the dial.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

No.

An officer isn’t an employee though.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

That’s a hostile environment for white Christian I guess
    0.1% Jewish population at the last census.

http://evington.localstats.co.uk/census-demographics/england/east-midlands/leicester/evington
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Charles said:

Remember he's not an employee of the the Conservative Party but an officer of the party.
    Are you muddling up you your P60 and your P11D?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Charles said:

isam said:

I don’t know, but I was thinking that might be why he can’t admit it.

Wonder if Piers pressed him on his student republicanism - that’s more interesting
  • Options
    Charles said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

No.

An officer isn’t an employee though.
    But an officer of an organisation does have to submit a P11D for any benefits they receive because they are an officer of that organisation.

As is stands he's admitted to receiving a £60,000 loan for the Conservative Party, that needs to be declared on a P11D.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

No, for example my employers, past and present, have paid for things like my private medical insurance and car, that gets declared on the P11D.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.

Boring square now without doubt.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Charles said:

isam said:

Possibly. All the more reason to open up the issue.
    We are getting to the stage now where if everyone who has ever partaken were to be sacked we wouldn't have many lawyers, or Police Officers, or any of a multitude of occupations. How about teachers? Then there is the blackmail angle.
    Plus. Coming down the track, in 10-20 years every single senior official's social media history.
    Starmer is in a unique position to start a conversation about this. One that needs to be had.
    But, no. Forward defensive at a wide long hop as per.
    Double sigh.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859
    Charles said:

Charles said:

No the P11D is what he needed to complete.

Then hopefully because he didn't the PCP will issue a P45!

They won't he is a winner.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Re: "did you take drugs?" in the 1980s in the USA there was a fashion in political/electoral circles for "Jar Wars". That is, using an opponent's past substance use/abuse as a potent and (hopefully) decisive attack. Often where allegations either came with solid evidence OR were otherwise deemed credible by press & public. Jar Wars was especially popular as a strategy and tactic with Republican politicos and their consultants

In 1986 in the 8th congressional district of Indiana there was a knock-down, drag-out re-match, grudge-match between incumbent Democrat Frank McCloskey and Republican challenger Rick McIntyre, who lost in 1984 by just -4 votes (after two recounts, the last by the Democratic-controlled US House itself). Both sides were giving the race everything they had.

Then a bombshell. A former undercover narcotics agent said that he'd been to parties in Bloomington, home of Indiana University, when McCloskey was mayor (elected by the student vote) and had personally witnessed him smoking marijuana.

Which Frank admitted was true. Yes, he HAD smoked it. But only a few times at parties, to be polite, because he didn't like it. Public reaction was mixed, but initial reaction from the media and independent, swing voters (a small but significant component of the Hoosier electorate) was NOT strongly negative for McCloskey, because by 1986 most people were less-than-shocked by the Evil Weed AND because he was honest about admitting it.

At this point the GOP decided to double-down. The ex-narc said that he'd not only seen McCloskey smoke pot, but also OPIUM.

The Big O was clearly a BIGGER deal than wacky tobaccy in the opinion of most voters. A MUCH more serious allegation. However, it quickly emerged it was an allegation that most voters - in particular swing independents - were NOT prepared to take seriously.

For most voters in 1986, opium was something out of a Sherlock Holmes story or an old B-movie about Chinatown. McCloskey denied vehemently that he'd ever smoked a bowl of the stuff, and the press & public believed him. Because it was so outlandish AND because while Frank was a fighting liberal progressive (in 1980s terms) supported by students and hippies, personally he was NOT a wild and crazy guy. Instead, he was quite serious and nerdy, looking and sounding like an accountant not a firebrand.

The result, in the only US House race were Ronald Reagan personally campaigned, on behalf of Republican Rick McIntyre, Democrat Frank McCloskey was re-elected by margin of over 13,000 votes.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,162
    isam said:

isam said:

It does seem like it’s unlikely to have us gasping with shock, or show he has a surprisingly witty repartee, from what’s been leaked. His problem is that the public think he’s a bit bland & it doesn’t sound like much of a game changer in that regard
    Johnson on the other hand is at the top of his comedy game. "Kung Flu". (according to Cummings).Tasteless, but funny nonetheless.
  • Options

Re: "did you take drugs?" in the 1980s in the USA there was a fashion in political/electoral circles for "Jar Wars". That is, using an opponent's past substance use/abuse as a potent and (hopefully) decisive attack. Often where allegations either came with solid evidence OR were otherwise deemed credible by press & public. Jar Wars was especially popular as a strategy and tactic with Republican politicos and their consultants

In 1986 in the 8th congressional district of Indiana there was a knock-down, drag-out re-match, grudge-match between incumbent Democrat Frank McCloskey and Republican challenger Rick McIntyre, who lost in 1984 by just -4 votes (after two recounts, the last by the Democratic-controlled US House itself). Both sides were giving the race everything they had.

Then a bombshell. A former undercover narcotics agent said that he'd been to parties in Bloomington, home of Indiana University, when McCloskey was mayor (elected by the student vote) and had personally witnessed him smoking marijuana.

Which Frank admitted was true. Yes, he HAD smoked it. But only a few times at parties, to be polite, because he didn't like it. Public reaction was mixed, but initial reaction from the media and independent, swing voters (a small but significant component of the Hoosier electorate) was NOT strongly negative for McCloskey, because by 1986 most people were less-than-shocked by the Evil Weed AND because he was honest about admitting it.

At this point the GOP decided to double-down. The ex-narc said that he'd not only seen McCloskey smoke pot, but also OPIUM.

The Big O was clearly a BIGGER deal than wacky tobaccy in the opinion of most voters. A MUCH more serious allegation. However, it quickly emerged it was an allegation that most voters - in particular swing independents - were NOT prepared to take seriously.

For most voters in 1986, opium was something out of a Sherlock Holmes story or an old B-movie about Chinatown. McCloskey denied vehemently that he'd ever smoked a bowl of the stuff, and the press & public believed him. Because it was so outlandish AND because while Frank was a fighting liberal progressive (in 1980s terms) supported by students and hippies, personally he was NOT a wild and crazy guy. Instead, he was quite serious and nerdy, looking and sounding like an accountant not a firebrand.

The result, in the only US House race were Ronald Reagan personally campaigned, on behalf of Republican Rick McIntyre, Democrat Frank McCloskey was re-elected by margin of over 13,000 votes.

Why is it called Jar Wars?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Johnson on the other hand is at the top of his comedy game. "Kung Flu". (according to Cummings).Tasteless, but funny nonetheless.
    Was Hong Kong Phooey a reference to the 1968 pandemic?
    Number 1 super guy. It's always the mild-mannered janitor, isn't it?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Andy_JS said:

Why is it called Jar Wars?
    Because politicos would pee into a jar, and have the sample analyzed for drugs. Then challenge their opponents to do the same.

Sorry, forgot to mention that!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,162
    dixiedean said:

isam said:

isam said:

In response to Islam's revelation, I was just commenting on Starmer's hapless seriousness, compared to our jovial hero's biting wit in the midst of a deadly pandemic.

If one can't laugh, they would cry. What do we need in a Prime Minister? 1968 style vaguely racial comedy gold!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,352

dixiedean said:

All bloody baffling.
    I think the "safe" answer nowadays is to say yes, it was in the past, and not get into any details.

At the last Tory leadership election the various candidates virtually fell over themselves to acknowledge their drug taking past, but Gove talking about Cocaine made him a laughing stock (his own personal articles on cocaine written in the past resurfacing probably didn't help to be fair).
    Michael Gove and cocaine was about hypocrisy rather than comedy iirc. SKS will presumably have prosecuted drugs cases in some guise or other. Maybe that is the problem.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,352
    Dominic Cummings is too late. No-one cares anymore. This is ancient history now we are nearly through the pandemic.

And also too early. In a few months, when we can see how much worse (and better) Britain's response was than our European neighbours, we might be more inclined to condemn Boris for excess deaths (and credit him for the vaccine rollout).
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    AI emotion-detection software tested on Uyghurs

A camera system that uses AI and facial recognition intended to reveal states of emotion has been tested on Uyghurs in Xinjiang, the BBC has been told.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57101248
  • Options
    "How Liberal Elites Use Race to Keep Workers Divided—And Justify Class-Based Inequities

Catherine Liu"

https://quillette.com/2021/05/20/how-liberal-elites-use-race-to-keep-workers-divided-and-justify-class-based-inequities/
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Batley and Spen... I see Conservatives now on 4/7 and Labour 5/4 (William Hill) its tightened nicely, no value though for any punters with odds like that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    dixiedean said:

isam said:

isam said:

Could be.....
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    I may have misread this but I don't think anyone outside the Westminster bubble has any interest in what Dominic Cummings has to say. The irony of that is amusing.

Just because The Mail leads with it means nothing. They were wrong about the wallpaper and they're wrong about this.

Cummings is a has-been whose reputation plummeted when he broke lockdown.

Sorry, Dom. No-one cares.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

No, for example my employers, past and present, have paid for things like my private medical insurance and car, that gets declared on the P11D.
    Yes but cash wouldn’t normally be on the P11D.

In any event do we know the Conservative loan was interest free? If they charged Boris 3% then it’s no longer a benefit in kind.
  • Options
    Meanwhile earlier this week if you went onto BBC Sport you were confronted with a headline about George Floyd.

Floyd's death was appalling but it is typical of the BBC that they blanket coverage the anniversary on their sports page. Their lead was all about how Floyd's death affected sport.

Will the BBC ever get over their cringeworthy wokeness?

I've stopped paying the licence fee. I'm not funding this shit any longer.
  • Options
    There's a moment in the US House of Cards when Frank Underwood walks across to a homeless man who is railing against the Government, crouches down and whispers to him, 'no-one's listening. No-one cares.'

Sorry, Dom. No-one's listening. No-one cares.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,347
    edited May 2021

I may have misread this but I don't think anyone outside the Westminster bubble has any interest in what Dominic Cummings has to say. The irony of that is amusing.

Just because The Mail leads with it means nothing. They were wrong about the wallpaper and they're wrong about this.

I think as a judgement call. in employing him there is some mileage. The fact that he looks a bit weird and isn't a very nice person and is clearly a liar should be sufficient to discredit him. The fact that journos and the civil service hate him will not help Cummings either.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,347
    edited May 2021

Meanwhile earlier this week if you went onto BBC Sport you were confronted with a headline about George Floyd.

Floyd's death was appalling but it is typical of the BBC that they blanket coverage the anniversary on their sports page. Their lead was all about how Floyd's death affected sport.

Will the BBC ever get over their cringeworthy wokeness?

I've stopped paying the licence fee. I'm not funding this shit any longer.

The license fee is going to go. Its indefensible. Why should I pay the BBC money. I agree about wokery. I cannot bear to watch it especially any news programme as its contrary to the way by brain is wired.

The only things we watch are on BBC4 and occasionally BBC2 and on Radio, Radio 2 and BBC4 extra and I can watch much of the BBC back catalogue on free to air channels.

Let the BBC take advertising on television but not radio... after all I can record and use the fast forward button through the trailers and adverts....most of our TV watching is done this way now.
  • Options
    Re: discussions about wallpaper. Aren’t people overlooking that this is an appearance before the Health Select committee to talk about the Govt’s Covid response? It’s not “any questions with Dominic Cummings”
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Re: discussions about wallpaper. Aren’t people overlooking that this is an appearance before the Health Select committee to talk about the Govt’s Covid response? It’s not “any questions with Dominic Cummings”

Would that stop an opposition MP who wants to grandstand or play silly buggers?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,637

And the organs that didn't believe a word he said a year ago will believe every single one today.....
  • Options

alex_ said:

It might help them paper over the cracks as they whitewash
  • Options

alex_ said:

I think so.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

dixiedean said:

pm215 said:

FPT

And I only found out by accident because I had to move my original appointment due to a diary clash!
    @Anabobazina Yes, I knew about this but my wife hasn't brought forward her 2nd jab because the system makes you cancel the original appointment before booking a new one afresh - meaning that there is a risk that there are no earlier appoints available and you have lost your original appointment date, so could in theory end up in a worse position than when you started.

So we haven't taken the risk.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,270

If that’s a way of making an allegation about Carrie Antoinette, I suggest that is most unlikely!
  • Options

And the organs that didn't believe a word he said a year ago will believe every single one today.....
    How sweet… you think the organs believe everything they print 😁
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

Not a has-been, a never-was.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    Hello everybody. Not really bright and sunny, but dry and all of a sudden there's no rain in the forecast.

All froth and bubble from Mr C is my expectation.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Batley and Spen... I see Conservatives now on 4/7 and Labour 5/4 (William Hill) its tightened nicely, no value though for any punters with odds like that.

4/7 v 5/4 gives an book percentage of 108.1%, so poor value with the major trad bookies I agree.

100.4% book on Back side on exchanges (BF) though. Slightly worse on Lay side.
This discussion has been closed.