Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can Dom’s Commons committee appearance on Wednesday possibly live up to its billing? – politicalbett

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318

DavidL said:

If he really wanted to attack the government he would focus on the way that the travel industry managed to keep our borders open and unchecked for the best part of 18 months. It is a gaping sore in government policy that has caused both a terrible loss of life and massive economic damage as it forced us into ever more extreme lockdowns to offset some peoples' skiing trips.

Just bizarre.

It would not surprise me if we were to hear that Dom was pro hotel quarantine, early lockdown, vaccine procurement, mask-wearing and anti emergency hospital discharge to care homes, Dido Harding, shaking hands in early 2020, etc.

The only thing that would surprise me is if he admitted to any mistakes himself. It will be a canonical example of aftertiming.
    he was following a decision process written about by a mechanical engineer in the 1970s that everyone else was, in his narrative, too stupid to understand.
    Have Dom and @Chris ever been seen in the same room together?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,488
    Scott_xP said:

I see @borisjohnson is saying the allegation he was writing a book on Shakespeare is utter nonsense. Cursory check of Amazon and lo, what have we here? March 2022. Well now. https://twitter.com/EmmaKennedy/status/1396536732498210816/photo/1

Being totally cynical, "utter nonsense" sounds pretty synonymous to "pyramid of piffle" to me.

And we know from past experience that when BoJo says "pyramid of piffle", he means "true, but I don't want to admit it".

(Teacher voice) That's the trouble with developing a reputation for lying, Johnson. People stop trusting you.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

I see @borisjohnson is saying the allegation he was writing a book on Shakespeare is utter nonsense. Cursory check of Amazon and lo, what have we here? March 2022. Well now. https://twitter.com/EmmaKennedy/status/1396536732498210816/photo/1

Ummm. I could submit a book called "My love of Hitler" and call myself Bill Bryson and Amazons book publishing API would probably accept it.
    I might see if I can get signed to write Boris Johnson: How to be a Father......
    You don't need to be signed: Amazon will accept almost anything as a book in its systems. They even accepted some of that Tom Knox shit.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Being totally cynical, "utter nonsense" sounds pretty synonymous to "pyramid of piffle" to me.

And we know from past experience that when BoJo says "pyramid of piffle", he means "true, but I don't want to admit it".

(Teacher voice) That's the trouble with developing a reputation for lying, Johnson. People stop trusting you.
    Doesn't matter, electorally or in the judgement halls of PB.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,297

DavidL said:

If he really wanted to attack the government he would focus on the way that the travel industry managed to keep our borders open and unchecked for the best part of 18 months. It is a gaping sore in government policy that has caused both a terrible loss of life and massive economic damage as it forced us into ever more extreme lockdowns to offset some peoples' skiing trips.

Just bizarre.

It would not surprise me if we were to hear that Dom was pro hotel quarantine, early lockdown, vaccine procurement, mask-wearing and anti emergency hospital discharge to care homes, Dido Harding, shaking hands in early 2020, etc.

The only thing that would surprise me is if he admitted to any mistakes himself. It will be a canonical example of aftertiming.
    It won’t be that simple. He will, as you say, have been on the right side of every decision all along, but it will be because he was following a decision process written about by a mechanical engineer in the 1970s that everyone else was, in his narrative, too stupid to understand.

More seriously I think he’s about to miscalculate and attack both the civil service and the top of the Tory party concurrently. That’s overreach, given all the papers they will have access to that will thoroughly embarrass him.
    Good point. His personal march on Moscow.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Ummm. I could submit a book called "My love of Hitler" and call myself Bill Bryson and Amazons book publishing API would probably accept it.

Asked whether Johnson had carried out any work on the Shakespeare book since becoming prime minister in July 2019, the spokesperson said: “Not that I am aware of.”
    https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1396820473934229508

A fancy way of saying "Yes"...
    https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1396824283960291330

I don’t really understand the criticism here. Are PMs not allowed any down time ever? Not sure I want someone minding our nuclear arsenal if they never get any time off. If he missed crucial meetings to write it, that’s wrong. Otherwise, so what?
    I think that's the allegation - that Boris was bunking off vital Covid meetings to write it.
    It’ll be a pretty high bar to prove that was true early on. There’s so much stuff going on all the time that MIGHT take off, that the PM can’t possibly engage with all of it. That’s what other ministers are for. I can well believe that early on he didn’t attend all the Covid meetings, and that’s not really a scandal.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Asked whether Johnson had carried out any work on the Shakespeare book since becoming prime minister in July 2019, the spokesperson said: “Not that I am aware of.”

I don’t really understand the criticism here. Are PMs not allowed any down time ever? Not sure I want someone minding our nuclear arsenal if they never get any time off. If he missed crucial meetings to write it, that’s wrong. Otherwise, so what?
    I think that's the allegation - that Boris was bunking off vital Covid meetings to write it.
    It’ll be a pretty high bar to prove that was true early on. There’s so much stuff going on all the time that MIGHT take off, that the PM can’t possibly engage with all of it. That’s what other ministers are for. I can well believe that early on he didn’t attend all the Covid meetings, and that’s not really a scandal.
    And of course Saint Nicola wasn't exactly top of the attendance leaderboard either.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,581
    FPT: I have commented on a few of the Eco House things on the previous thread ( @Cyclefree , others).

I won't repost.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,996

More seriously I think he’s about to miscalculate and attack both the civil service and the top of the Tory party concurrently. That’s overreach, given all the papers they will have access to that will thoroughly embarrass him.

Perhaps true, although the top of the Tory party will then be invited to explain why they clutched him to their bosom so tightly, why they prostituted themselves in support of him after Barnard Castle
  • Options

DavidL said:

Just bizarre.

It won’t be that simple. He will, as you say, have been on the right side of every decision all along, but it will be because he was following a decision process written about by a mechanical engineer in the 1970s that everyone else was, in his narrative, too stupid to understand.

Good point. His personal march on Moscow.
    Yup. It’s not like he has mates in the opposition either. They will find some of his allegations useful but they still hate him and wouldn’t piss on him if he was on fire. He can’t even hide amongst Farage’s mob because he’s alienated them too.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Perhaps true, although the top of the Tory party will then be invited to explain why they clutched him to their bosom so tightly, why they prostituted themselves in support of him after Barnard Castle
    And they will decline to answer, and it won’t matter. All they need to do is make him look untrustworthy enough now, that the allegations die quickly. I think the media will also help, because they clearly hate him too.
  • Options

And they will decline to answer, and it won’t matter. All they need to do is make him look untrustworthy enough now, that the allegations die quickly. I think the media will also help, because they clearly hate him too.

Perhaps also true, although Dom doesn't strike me as the sort of guy to quit even if he doesn't win this round.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs.

Or, to put it another way, Boris will be able to charm and persuade and to manipulate the truth. Until one day, he won't.

My gut is that Boris will be longer lived than most, but that the charm will start to fade some time shortly after the 2024 election.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed. That was Hancock's job.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

And of course Saint Nicola wasn't exactly top of the attendance leaderboard either.
    Hang on: she had the important task of trying to fit up the former leader of her party, so allowances need to be made.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Perhaps also true, although Dom doesn't strike me as the sort of guy to quit even if he doesn't win this round.
    You’re right, but I think he’s also the sort to bide his time and enjoy his revenge at the appropriate temperature.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Moonlighting in another paid job - which is hard work - rather than resting?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Scandal - in early stages of a pandemic, PM leaves meetings in hands of Ministers, civil servants and scientists. Fails to politicize and weaponize the pandemic. Scandal. Stop the press!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs.

Or, to put it another way, Boris will be able to charm and persuade and to manipulate the truth. Until one day, he won't.

My gut is that Boris will be longer lived than most, but that the charm will start to fade some time shortly after the 2024 election.
    Does Boris appreciate this or is it in his mind to step off (the burning boat?) before that time.

What a legacy. Might be his thinking.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    Personally I wouldn't be devastated if he gives Boris a good kick in the goolies - it's not like Her Majesty's opposition is doing an amazing job, so someone needs to keep the (very) big boys honest.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    No. Whatever mistakes were made - and I am sure there were plenty - will be overtaken by the success of the vaccination programme.

If full reopening on June 21 is delayed, on the other hand .......
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

I relax by doing things that are hard work. A change is as good as a rest. I can believe the PM enjoys writing. He just happens to get paid for it too. Remember that he probably doesn’t get to do much of it now.

I can’t believe I’ve found myself in the position of defending the PM! I just don’t think there’s a story here.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Does Boris appreciate this or is it in his mind to step off (the burning boat?) before that time.

He's one of the few politicians who might be willing to step away from power while still on a high.

BUT. That requires consummate timing.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Some people play video games to relax. Some post on PB. Some presumably write hack books about Shakespeare.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, I would think he wants to win in 2024 and be gone by 2029, electorally undefeated.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The more interesting question is what happens to the Little England party then.

Again the comparison with Trump is the template.

The Republicans should have ditched the loser in January. They didn't.

When BoZo falls, will the Conservative and Unionist party renounce all things BoZo, or will the Little Englanders continue to carry the torch to oblivion?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited May 2021

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

I relax by doing things that are hard work. A change is as good as a rest. I can believe the PM enjoys writing. He just happens to get paid for it too. Remember that he probably doesn’t get to do much of it now.

I can’t believe I’ve found myself in the position of defending the PM! I just don’t think there’s a story here.
    I agree in part, but it is the final preparation for publication that is like pulling teeth - all the checking, checking and checking again in particular, and also the polishing and editing.

Also - it's one thing to do something as a hobby. It's another to do something as a paid contract. Both by their nature and by the optics. He has time to spare to edit a book for publication? Who is he, Marcus Aurelius?

Edit: perhaps more to the point, who is he, Winston Churtchill? Even Churchill (AIUI) did his books when out of power.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

No. Whatever mistakes were made - and I am sure there were plenty - will be overtaken by the success of the vaccination programme.

150,000 buried under the vaccination programme...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Taz said:

TOPPING said:

Fishing said:

My guess is that it'll be a damp squib. If he had a silver bullet, he'd already have fired it.

I think the main problem for Dom is that most of what he's accusing the government of is already in the price. Most people accept (wrongly in my view) that we should have locked down earlier last March, but also see that it was a very difficult decision, and, as ever, Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition didn't bother to oppose much at the time, so can't claim they'd have done any better.

His revelations will outrage only the professionally outraged.

Yeah I don't see what could possibly come out that is, in advance of the enquiry, a slam dunk OMG moment.

Something on care homes perhaps as I believe that is the exposed flank for the govt (it's certainly not the timing of lockdown) but other than that can't see it because as you say so much of it, and of Boris is in the price.
    KO blow seems unlikely but perhaps Cummings can score a few points with backbenchers for when the gilt wears off Boris's gingerbread, although I expect Boris to have retired at the top rather than wait to be pushed.
    The initial care homes advice/recommendations were from Public Health England.

The govt did follow the advice but it was advice from PHE all the same.
    And that advice seems to have been based upon models that indicated we needed tens of thousands of hospital beds right now or the NHS would be overwhelmed. The same advice that resulted in Nightingales. That advice proved to be wrong but had it been right it is entirely possible that we might be talking about that as a bold step that saved the lives of thousands rather than a disaster.

Such is the choices that have to be made in a pandemic.
    The British really don't understand the value of failure.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,686
    edited May 2021
    Chesham and Amersham is going to be fascinating IMO. I don't think it'll be a boring by-election in the slightest. Because it'll tell us whether the Tories really are losing support in their old-fashioned home countries suburban constituencies, or whether that's just a myth the media find attractive at the moment.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,548
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

A legacy of Brexit + leaving at a time of his choosing after 2? elections victories + retaining Scotland + getting EU into line over NI, and never really losing any big battles would be a worthy one.

• Options
    @iainmartin1 Whole thing is an essay crisis of Boris Johnson proportions. Contracted to write the thing way back in, what, 2015? Then, what with one thing or another, life got a bit too busy, deadlines got missed, all the cashola long spent...
    https://twitter.com/PeterMannionMP/status/1396828676931608582
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

When BoZo falls, will the Conservative and Unionist party renounce all things BoZo, or will the Little Englanders continue to carry the torch to oblivion?
    The Tory Party will do what it always does, be lost in opposition for a few years then completely reinvent itself and rise from the ashes. Boris-ism, even more than any other “ism” is easy to ditch because there’s no coherent philosophy there anyway.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, I would think he wants to win in 2024 and be gone by 2029, electorally undefeated.
    That reminds me of a quote...

Many of those who plan to repent at the 11th hour, die at ten thirty.
    Bang in the middle of the eleventh hour. But had they repented by then?

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214

dixiedean said:

Switch on WATO. Banging on about the BBC. Switch off.

- We're joined in the studio by the BBC's BBC correspondent. What's the latest?
    - Tight lips at the BBC today, Sarah. The BBC is yet to comment on that bombshell BBC Newsnight report.
    - Can the BBC really stay silent on this?
    - I'm hearing rumours that BBC Today is in negotiations with the BBC to secure an interview.
    - Be sure to stay tuned to the BBC for any developments.
    The BBC's own travails are much much less important than Putin's allies hijacking planes.

Obviously.

The difficulty is that what has been revealed about BBC culture and governance - not just 25 years ago - but much more recently is pretty awful. And it shows a news gathering organisation for which we all pay which cannot gather news, cannot investigate properly, cannot admit to mistakes, cannot manage, cannot comply with even the most basic standards of integrity, good employment and hiring practice. That is not something to be ignored. It does need to be covered and addressed. But by whom and how.

If the BBC does not cover it, who will? And if the BBC does not cover it, it will be accused of ignoring its own wrongdoing.

• Options
    Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said he has instructed the Civil Aviation Authority to request airlines avoid Belarusian airspace in order to keep passengers safe and has suspended Belarus' national airline Belavia's operating permit.https://twitter.com/ZoraSuleman/status/1396836949432934406
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    MaxPB said:

Also, I think certain people need to give up on the idea that this next thing will be the final nail in the coffin for Boris. First it was wallpaper, then it was who bought his shopping, then it was that he had a CCJ, then it was "people of talent", then it was "bodies piled high" and so on.

The desperation of some to see Boris fall is leading them to poor judgement over how serious specific situations actually are. This latest one with Dom will be just like the rest and the same people will start ramping the next guardian story.

?? first it was the wallpaper ??

that was the dregs at the time.
  • Options

The Tory Party will do what it always does, be lost in opposition for a few years then completely reinvent itself and rise from the ashes. Boris-ism, even more than any other “ism” is easy to ditch because there’s no coherent philosophy there anyway.

Not true

So far, it has given us

Fuck Northern Ireland

Fuck fishermen

Fuck farmers.

It's going to be hard to repent some of those
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

- Tight lips at the BBC today, Sarah. The BBC is yet to comment on that bombshell BBC Newsnight report.
    - I'm hearing rumours that BBC Today is in negotiations with the BBC to secure an interview.
    The BBC's own travails are much much less important than Putin's allies hijacking planes.

Obviously.

The difficulty is that what has been revealed about BBC culture and governance - not just 25 years ago - but much more recently is pretty awful. And it shows a news gathering organisation for which we all pay which cannot gather news, cannot investigate properly, cannot admit to mistakes, cannot manage, cannot comply with even the most basic standards of integrity, good employment and hiring practice. That is not something to be ignored. It does need to be covered and addressed. But by whom and how.

If the BBC does not cover it, who will? And if the BBC does not cover it, it will be accused of ignoring its own wrongdoing.

Did you listen to the interview? Richard Sharp sounded pretty convincing to me.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Also, I think certain people need to give up on the idea that this next thing will be the final nail in the coffin for Boris. First it was wallpaper, then it was who bought his shopping, then it was that he had a CCJ, then it was "people of talent", then it was "bodies piled high" and so on.

The desperation of some to see Boris fall is leading them to poor judgement over how serious specific situations actually are. This latest one with Dom will be just like the rest and the same people will start ramping the next guardian story.

Yes, my theory is that irony tends to be ironic. So when he loses his voters, it’ll be because he’s done something that’s objectively the right thing to do, but just happens to be super-unpopular. Being a statesman will be what kills him.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,443
    MaxPB said:

Indeed. This is starting to remind me of the time, between Peter Mandlebrots 127th and 128th resignations from government, when all of the Conservative Party was united in the belief that *this time* the Blair Bubble would implode and they'd be back in government before lunch.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,308
    Scott_xP said:

@iainmartin1 Whole thing is an essay crisis of Boris Johnson proportions. Contracted to write the thing way back in, what, 2015? Then, what with one thing or another, life got a bit too busy, deadlines got missed, all the cashola long spent...
    https://twitter.com/PeterMannionMP/status/1396828676931608582

Apparently Boris's novel, written in the 2000s, contains nonsensical sentences in the final pages as Boris rushed to get it out the door.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,136
    Taz said:

The slight risk to the government, and BJ. is that Cummings ego is so huge that really doesn't seem to give a fuck about anything apart from his personal integrity (i.e. he's being true to himself, whatever anybody else thinks). He can't be bought, and I assume he would have refused to sign an NDA when he left government. His 50-odd very public tweets are worth a read. No smoking gun, but not far off.

So I'm not sure that it really what people, on here or elsewhere, think of him. He really doesn't give a toss.

He many not give a fuck about anything else, but does anyone give a fuck about him? He's burnt his bridges and made himself a laughing stock and punchline.
    It's true that all the people on here who really, REALLY gave a fuck about Dom and would have died in a ditch for him last spring don't give a fuck now.
    And Vice Versa.
    Not afaic.
    Pointing and sniggering at a bunch of people who defended a lying **** defending another lying **** a year ago now picking and choosing which lying **** to believe because the two lying ****s have fallen out is satisfyingly consistent and confirmatory from my point of view.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    @grantshapps
    Following the forced diversion of a @Ryanair aircraft to Minsk yesterday, I’ve instructed @UK_CAA to request airlines avoid Belarusian airspace in order to keep passengers safe. I have also suspended Belavia’s operating permit.

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1396835052168810499
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Indeed. This is starting to remind me of the time, between Peter Mandlebrots 127th and 128th resignations from government, when all of the Conservative Party was united in the belief that *this time* the Blair Bubble would implode and they'd be back in government before lunch.
    Yes, there were so many manufactured scandals, right up to the question of “will or won’t Blair be questioned under caution over cash for honours”. All came to nothing.

Turns out “if we just wait long enough, the public will see through them and then it’ll be our turn again” isn’t really a winning strategy.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Andy_JS said:

Chesham and Amersham is going to be fascinating IMO. I don't think it'll be a boring by-election in the slightest. Because it'll tell us whether the Tories really are losing support in their old-fashioned home countries suburban constituencies, or whether that's just a myth the media find attractive at the moment.

I think they are losing support, but mainly to no-show or protest vote. That in itself is dangerous enough in a number of places though.

As I posted before, I reckon the tories just as likely now to win Rotherham (target number 40-odd) as Bedford (target number 1).

If there was an election tomorrow I would deffo be on the lib dems in Bedford.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,687
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

I agree in part, but it is the final preparation for publication that is like pulling teeth - all the checking, checking and checking again in particular, and also the polishing and editing.

Also - it's one thing to do something as a hobby. It's another to do something as a paid contract. Both by their nature and by the optics. He has time to spare to edit a book for publication? Who is he, Marcus Aurelius?

Edit: perhaps more to the point, who is he, Winston Churtchill? Even Churchill (AIUI) did his books when out of power.
    Absolutely... And the problem for those who see "Boris" as a Great Man is that he doesn't actually do anything, not himself. He gets everybody else to carry him.
  • Options

Turns out “if we just wait long enough, the public will see through them and then it’ll be our turn again” isn’t really a winning strategy.

it really is though.

Hence BoZo
  • Options

Pointing and sniggering at a bunch of people who defended a lying **** defending another lying **** a year ago now picking and choosing which lying **** to believe because the two lying ****s have fallen out is satisfyingly consistent and confirmatory from my point of view.

*cough*Eck and Nicola*cough*
  • Options

Taz said:

The slight risk to the government, and BJ. is that Cummings ego is so huge that really doesn't seem to give a fuck about anything apart from his personal integrity (i.e. he's being true to himself, whatever anybody else thinks). He can't be bought, and I assume he would have refused to sign an NDA when he left government. His 50-odd very public tweets are worth a read. No smoking gun, but not far off.

So I'm not sure that it really what people, on here or elsewhere, think of him. He really doesn't give a toss.

He many not give a fuck about anything else, but does anyone give a fuck about him? He's burnt his bridges and made himself a laughing stock and punchline.
    It's true that all the people on here who really, REALLY gave a fuck about Dom and would have died in a ditch for him last spring don't give a fuck now.
    And Vice Versa.
    Not afaic.
    Can you please explain the death by drugs stats for Scotland vs everywhere else?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Some people play video games to relax. Some post on PB. Some presumably write hack books about Shakespeare.
    I wouldn't think his publisher minds the delay tbh. A book by ex-PM Johnson will sell much better than a book by ex-Mayor Johnson. They'll be happy with their investment, and want to publish the book when Johnson is free to promote it.
  • Options
    Somebody else who appears to be having some problems with the truth...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15051575/prince-harry-bike-claims-charles/
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes, there were so many manufactured scandals, right up to the question of “will or won’t Blair be questioned under caution over cash for honours”. All came to nothing.

To be fair "cash for honours" was a genuine thing. Blair was let off on the ground that it wasn't in the pubic interest to prosecute the government happened to get caught. Because they all did it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Arguably its economics that makes big cyclical moves in government. 1979, 1997, 2010. Winter of Discontent. EMS crisis. 2008 crash.

Boris's actions since May 06 suggest he may actually grasp this. Inflation, debt, taxes, unemployment etc are what really threaten him.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    edited May 2021
    Scott_xP said:

it really is though.

Hence BoZo
    Sadly it is not. Now it may do at some point in the future, but I think we might have to accept that a significant minority (enough to win General Elections) are quite content to have a lying clown as PM so long as he says the right things and occasionally does the right thing.

I see it as the modern day equivalent of Bread and Circuses.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,292
    Madder, and madder

"Mystery speeding objects detected underwater by US submarines ahead of Pentagon UFO report

"Photos were said to have been leaked from an official investigation into unidentified flying objects which was readying evidence for Congress due in June.

"Mr Rogan told Fox News: "Relevant to this video, an area we will learn more about is the interaction between US Navy submarines, nuclear ballistic submarines and attack submarines, picking up sonar contact of things moving at hundreds of knots under the water.

"Anchor Tucker Carlson responded: "Hundreds of knots under water? I don't think people can even digest that."

"Mr Rogan told him: "That is what I have heard from very good sources and that the US Navy has the data."

""Whether this being is worldly or otherworldly, we don't know.

""It's just part of a much larger series of events we are going to be learning about.""

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/mystery-speeding-objects-detected-underwater-24173342
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    MaxPB said:

You missed the ones like about where he supposed secretly flew to Italy...he didn't really have a phone call with Biden....etc etc etc

The problem the media have is so many have driven so mad by Boris and Brexit, everything is a mega scandal, and they fail to check the facts so the stories don't hold up e.g. the Italy trips, the CCJ, or blow things out of proportion and ultimately it lets him off on other things, because of the constant noise of nonsense.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Obviously.

He is. But its the permafrost level of management which needs to change and that is very much harder than it seems. Believe me - I have been through this. The man at the top talks about culture change. They mean it too. But getting all the people all the way down to understand what it means and to change what they have been doing and get their teams to do it day in day out is bloody hard work. It takes years. It takes relentless pressure from the top and from outside. It takes buy in at all levels and it takes courage.

A good interview and a few memos are not enough. Culture change is hard. The hardest part is admitting that you need to do it. The fact that so many are saying that it's all a long time ago and that the managers who covered it up have gone is a sign to me that the people there now don't really get it. They are still in "it's not me guv, I'm one of the good guys" mode, which is a very common human reaction. But the wrong one - even good guys can get stuff wrong. That complacency is one of the problems.
    The BBC seems absolutely stuffed with people convinced that they are one of the good guys.
  • Options
    Anyone who thought the wallpaper story would damage Boris needs to get their political antennae recalibrated.
  • Options
    "BATTLESHIP" SEEN OVER THE MOON

月面の上空の飛行物体が地球からの拡大レンズで見えるということは、実物は相当に巨大な
    宇宙戦艦の可能性もある❗

The fact that a flying object over the moon can be seen with a magnifying lens from the earth may mean that the real thing is a fairly huge space battleship.❗

https://twitter.com/EA_souken/status/1396787654889402370?s=20
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Obviously.

He is. But its the permafrost level of management which needs to change and that is very much harder than it seems. Believe me - I have been through this. The man at the top talks about culture change. They mean it too. But getting all the people all the way down to understand what it means and to change what they have been doing and get their teams to do it day in day out is bloody hard work. It takes years. It takes relentless pressure from the top and from outside. It takes buy in at all levels and it takes courage.

A good interview and a few memos are not enough. Culture change is hard. The hardest part is admitting that you need to do it. The fact that so many are saying that it's all a long time ago and that the managers who covered it up have gone is a sign to me that the people there now don't really get it. They are still in "it's not me guv, I'm one of the good guys" mode, which is a very common human reaction. But the wrong one - even good guys can get stuff wrong. That complacency is one of the problems.
    No. Change is impossible from within because the BBC, as with every other common purpose dominated institution, believes it is right.

The crimes and the cover ups don't matter because the corporation, just like the labour party, has the Correct Beliefs. The Correct Values. Critics can be resisted and then dismissed. That is because they have the Wrong Beliefs.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

"the comparison with Trump is the template"
    Reagan is a better comparison.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,319
    Scott_xP said:

it really is though.

Hence BoZo
    The problem you have is to assume that the narrative will not change to support your fevered daily tweets that Brexit will be reversed and Boris will be consigned to a defeated and humiliated ex PM

You are a perfect example of someone who does not adopt to change, adapt to that change, and improve on that change

I know you are often compared to Hiroo Onoda, the Japanese soldier who spent 29 years in the jungle after refusing to surrender to the allies, and I would just say that as time passes the agenda will change dramatically while you still fight old battles

I expect when Boris does go it will be quick and at the hands of his party, but he will be replaced by someone who does not look backwards and nostalgically at the days of our former membership of the EU
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Scott_xP said:

it really is though.

Hence BoZo
    Sadly it is not. Now it may do at some point in the future, but I think we might have to accept that a significant minority (enough to win General Elections) are quite content to have a lying clown as PM so long as he says the right things and occasionally does the right thing.

I see it as the modern day equivalent of Bread and Circuses.
    Boris's negative qualities will only cut through when there is an attractive alternative. Which takes us back to recent threads about 'why people don't like the Labour Party/Keir Starmer' or occasionally 'why people don't like the Lib Dems'.

Just as in the early years of the century no-one cared too much about Tony Blair's various 'soft' issues - the lies, the cash for honours, the personal enrichment - when the only obvious beneficiary was a Conservative Party which voters didn't have much time for and felt didn't actually like them much.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Anyone who thought the wallpaper story would damage Boris needs to get their political antennae recalibrated.

Anyone who thinks it doesn't matter that he lies like a flatfish needs to get their moral compass recalibrated.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

So, the entire commentariat then.
  • Options
    Americans and UFOs. What's going on... Maybe time to watch the X Files again.
  • Options
    Leon said:

宇宙戦艦の可能性もある❗

The fact that a flying object over the moon can be seen with a magnifying lens from the earth may mean that the real thing is a fairly huge space battleship.❗

LOL. Reminds me of the NotW headlines on consecutive days: "747 Seen on Surface of Moon!" "747 Disappears from Moon!"
  • Options
    ..... and UFOs are a front page story on the Washington Post, with remarks like this from a former Director of the CIA

Brennan suggests the videios reveal "some type of phenomenon that is the result of something that we don’t yet understand and that could involve some type of activity that some might say constitutes a different form of life.”

I mean, WTAFFFFFF

Whatever your opinion of this story, something truly remarkable is happening in Washington DC

https://twitter.com/HighPeaks77/status/1396791445114212354?s=20

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1396611504187793410?s=20
  • Options
    For the sake of clarity, I do not believe there is a BATTLESHIP HOVERING OVER THE MOON
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Leon said:

For the sake of clarity, I do not believe there is a BATTLESHIP HOVERING OVER THE MOON

Clearly the Americans missed out on the education imparted by Father Ted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4XFUc6175k
  • Options
    Leon said:

宇宙戦艦の可能性もある❗

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-56286719

And if you believe anything by Tucker Carlson then more fool you. He makes Comedy Dave look like the height of probity.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Scott_xP said:

*cough*Eck and Nicola*cough*
    Nats really do have a self awareness problem. Alex Salmond, their ex leader, and architect of everything that is hate filled and divisive about Scottish Nationalism (that they regard as success) is described as a bully and sex pest by his own QC. Nicola, his one time protege, of course, never knew he was a sex pest. Of course she didn't!

Alex Salmond makes the other fat lying little toad (the one is occupying No10) look like a paragon of virtue.
  • Options
    "Washington is swirling with chatter — among top senators, Pentagon insiders, and even former CIA directors — about UFOs. What was once a ticket to the political loony bin has leaped off Hollywood screens and out of science-fiction novels and into the national conversation. There are even new government abbreviations.

"For some Navy pilots, UFO sightings were an ordinary event: ‘Every day for at least a couple years’
    “This used to be a career-ending kind of thing,” said John Podesta, who generally kept his interest in UFOs to himself when he was President Bill Clinton’s chief of staff. “You didn’t want to get caught talking about it because you’d be accused of walking out of an ‘X-Files’ episode.”

"But now there isn’t just talk."

Washington Post, there, sounding very much like The Fortean Times
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Miss Vance, that's quite the change.

Haven't seen its like since the last time a politician amended a statement they had made to claim they had meant the exact opposite.

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

"the comparison with Trump is the template"
    Reagan is a better comparison.

Don't be ridiculous. Only slightly less absurd than comparing the fat little liar with Churchill. He is Trump, and at one time clearly liked the comparison. And his fanbois are just like Trump's fanbois.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Andy_JS said:

I think they are losing support, but mainly to no-show or protest vote. That in itself is dangerous enough in a number of places though.

As I posted before, I reckon the tories just as likely now to win Rotherham (target number 40-odd) as Bedford (target number 1).

If there was an election tomorrow I would deffo be on the lib dems in Bedford.
    Current MP is Labour!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,771
    TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

Anyone who thinks it doesn't matter that he lies like a flatfish needs to get their moral compass recalibrated.
    It is not even only about moral compasses. It is a massive national security risk to casually allow our leaders to accept bundles of cash from persons unknown for reasons unknown.

The people who claim to be in favour of law and order and security and rightly said Labour under Corbyn would be a national security risk but couldn't care less about Johnson creating a security risk are blatant partisan hypocrites.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

MaxPB said:

Yes, my theory is that irony tends to be ironic. So when he loses his voters, it’ll be because he’s done something that’s objectively the right thing to do, but just happens to be super-unpopular. Being a statesman will be what kills him.
    He should be immortal then.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Leon said:

宇宙戦艦の可能性もある❗

And if you believe anything by Tucker Carlson then more fool you. He makes Comedy Dave look like the height of probity.
    And the Washington Post. New York Times, CNN, New Yorker, NBC, ABC, Time, and CBS?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Looks like the media have shot their load again.....onto the next scandal.

UPDATE: On the Amazon listing, the publishers say this is a mistake and they have not scheduled the book to be released “in the foreseeable future”:

“After the success of Boris Johnson’s The Churchill Factor, which was published in 2014, Hodder & Stoughton contracted him to write a book about Shakespeare, originally planning to tie in with the Shakespeare anniversary in 2016. When Boris Johnson became Foreign Secretary we agreed that we would delay publication until a more suitable time, and we have not scheduled the book to be released in the foreseeable future
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,720
    FT Moscow Bureau Chief:

Say what you like about Brexit, but London has responded before Brussels to the detention of an EU plane operated by an EU airline flying between two EU capitals.

UK orders British airlines to avoid flying over Belarus and suspends operating permit of Belarus' national airline

https://twitter.com/HenryJFoy/status/1396839168995647497?s=20
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Leon said:

If you have to clarify that...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    TimT said:

Leon said:

宇宙戦艦の可能性もある❗

LOL. Reminds me of the NotW headlines on consecutive days: "747 Seen on Surface of Moon!" "747 Disappears from Moon!"
    Sunday Sport? NotW was a serious newspaper. By coincidence, I've just been leafing through the 7/3/04 edition which "exposes" a jockey on the front page, footballers and rape allegations inside, Blair/Caplin, a column from William Hague, and so on.
  • Options
    This was tweeted a few minutes ago by one of the US pilots who has reported a spectacular sighting

(1/6) As viewed from the Situation Awareness page, the GIMBAL object appeared to be ‘behind’ a wedge formation of 4-6 objects that were flying in a straight-line path for a period of time. From the appearance of their radar tracks, they appeared similar to my eye as the

@uncertainvector
    ·
    8m
    Replying to
    @uncertainvector
    (2/6) ‘cube in a sphere’ objects we’d see regularly. I say this as their Target Aspect indicator seemed a bit jittery- as if the radar had difficulty determining which way the vehicle was pointing even though they were proceeding in a straight line.
    Ryan Graves
    @uncertainvector
    ·
    8m
    (3/6) Eventually, the wedge formation began a turn. The vehicles turned similar to an aircraft, where they had a radius of turn. This is in contrast to the GIMBAL object which reversed its direction with no turn. The turn of the wedge formation, if I remember correctly, was
    Ryan Graves
    @uncertainvector
    ·
    8m
    (4/6) not a ‘clean’ formation turn. The vehicles seemed to break formation to a certain extent but reposition to their original formation as they rolled out on the opposite heading. The GIMBAL object was stationary (as seen in the video) as the turn was executed. Once the wedge
    Ryan Graves
    @uncertainvector
    ·
    8m
    (5/6) formation completed the turn and was flowing in the opposite direction, the GIMBAL object rotated as seen in the video. After the video was cut, the GIMBAL began to flow behind the wedge formation.
    Ryan Graves
    @uncertainvector
    ·
    9m
    (6/6) For the record, after seeing 100s of aircraft and countless other air and ground based objects through the FLIR, I have never seen anything like GIMBAL. I think it's clear the Aircrew in the video feel the same way.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

Somebody else who appears to be having some problems with the truth...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15051575/prince-harry-bike-claims-charles/

Havent opened the link, but is Charles calling something to do with Prince Harry a bike?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Looks like the media have shot their load again.....

UPDATE: On the Amazon listing, the publishers say this is a mistake and they have not scheduled the book to be released “in the foreseeable future”:

“After the success of Boris Johnson’s The Churchill Factor, which was published in 2014, Hodder & Stoughton contracted him to write a book about Shakespeare, originally planning to tie in with the Shakespeare anniversary in 2016. When Boris Johnson became Foreign Secretary we agreed that we would delay publication until a more suitable time, and we have not scheduled the book to be released in the foreseeable future

Oh well Scott another waste of a dozen feverish posts. Never mind.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

宇宙戦艦の可能性もある❗

And the Washington Post. New York Times, CNN, New Yorker, NBC, ABC, Time, and CBS?
    Show me anyone credible on the NYT or CNN etc credibly saying "UFOs are real and extraterrestial" please.

As opposed to people saying rather mundane things like "this needs to be examined" or "this is unknown", or reporting that people are talking about UFOs (which is true, people are talking about it but that doesn't make it real).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,720

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed. That was Hancock's job.
    When Boris doesn’t attend 5 it’s “bunking off”
    When Nicola doesn’t attend 6 it’s “delegating”
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Obviously.

One of the fascinating things is to watch how companies/organisations can steam steadily into an iceberg and sink, with plenty of foreknowledge and warning.

It is always down to an internal system where acknowledging the reality is not an option.
  • Options
    I wonder if Starmer is currently doing a U-turn from a photo op in Waterstones?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

宇宙戦艦の可能性もある❗

Show me anyone credible on the NYT or CNN etc credibly saying "UFOs are real and extraterrestial" please.

As opposed to people saying rather mundane things like "this needs to be examined" or "this is unknown", or reporting that people are talking about UFOs (which is true, people are talking about it but that doesn't make it real).
    It's the FACT they are talking about it. DUHHHH

"The quality of the authenticated UFO/UAP video is lousy. Do not imagine that this low quality video is the major data trove that has us discussing the unimaginable.

The truly major data in support of UFOs that we have as of today is simply the change in the official narrative."

https://twitter.com/EricRWeinstein/status/1396597345257545728?s=20

"We should marvel at what the Pentagon has achieved here:

A) We have now been *rapidly* habituated to the possibility of regular visits from aliens.

B) It’s not our top story.

C) All the public evidence so far is low quality, and hence still technically deniable & retractable".

"I’d guess that we’re at some point soon going to be confronted by stunningly clear reconstructions of incidents with crystal clear video, and that we have a collective freakout ahead where we’ll look back and marvel how they dribbled low quality video out to control our reaction."

Eric Weinstein is a bit eccentric, he is also incredibly smart
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

宇宙戦艦の可能性もある❗

What do you think they are waiting for?

They have obviously been around us for some time. Just looking. Why do you suppose they haven't made contact/destroyed a continent or two/asked to be taken to our leaders?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    felix said:

Looks like the media have shot their load again.....

Oh well Scott another waste of a dozen feverish posts. Never mind.
    Was "the Churchill Factor' a success? I thought it was generally regarded as suitable as a doorstop or something like that.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,548
    TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

Just noting re this dialogue that the issue of what is the case, and what should be the case are both interesting but are different discussions.

What is the case and what you predict will be the case is politics (and betting!). What should be the case is philosophy.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

I might see if I can get signed to write Boris Johnson: How to be a Father......
    You don't need to be signed: Amazon will accept almost anything as a book in its systems. They even accepted some of that Tom Knox shit.
    That low a bar, huh?
This discussion has been closed.