Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What gerrymandering looks like in Texas – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited May 2021 in General
What gerrymandering looks like in Texas – politicalbetting.com

Dan Crenshaw’s (R-TX) district is what we mean when we say gerrymandering is a problem. pic.twitter.com/eNlJ9Kov7c

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    1st
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    That map is up there with the most ridiculous boundaries I have ever seen. Makes Baarle-Hertog look mundane and sensible.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    Just saying: today has been gloriously sunny in my bit of the Lakes.

And it's a lovely evening too.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Interesting that @GarethoftheVale2 just produced a comprehensive list of the likely boundary changes in the UK.
    How so?
    Because they are devised on known principles by an independent body.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    edited May 2021
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/17/immigration-letter-sent-to-long-term-british-citizens-causes-alarm

As someone whos mother was born a foreigner but has been a British Citizen for at least 25 years (and suffers from mental health problems) stories like this really boils my piss
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    Heck, current Texas 2nd CD is NOT all the egregious, not in USA. Back a decade or so ago, there was one congressional district in North Carolina that connected heavily Black sections stretching over 100 miles across the state from Durham to Charlotte - in many places just the width of the interstate highway.

On the other hand, US congressional districts are much more balanced (in total population, our constitutional standard) than UK parliamentary constituencies, which allow large deviations, for example in rural areas.

By comparison, here in WA State, deviation between largest & smallest CD population, when they were created in 2011 based on 2010 census, was less than 10 people.

Interesting to note that in WA both legislative & congressional redistricting is done, not by the legislature and/or governor, but by an "independent" commission, comprised on one member appointed by each legislative caucus (House Dems, House Reps, Senate Reps, Senate Dems) and non-voting chair. Thus to obtain a majority for ANY plan, bipartisan agreement is essential.

Meaning that the GREATEST good turns out to be . . . wait for it . . . incumbent protection. With number of true "swing districts" kept to absolute minimum.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Just saying: today has been gloriously sunny in my bit of the Lakes.

And it's a lovely evening too.

So were the bowls of punch (and the cash register) brimming over at The Punchbowl?
  • Options
    CatMan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/17/immigration-letter-sent-to-long-term-british-citizens-causes-alarm

As someone whos mother was born a foreigner but has been a British Citizen for at least 25 years (and suffers from mental health problems) stories like this really boils my piss

Yep. Rank incompetence from the Home Office. And dangerous too. Nobody in any kind of senior position will be held accountable.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

>:)
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Typical data-matching BS. Of the kind that helped make George W. Bush president in 2000.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited May 2021

Whose district? Oh, I see it now. It is the one in Texas
  • Options
    TimT said:

Whose district?
    Take a gander at Mike's thred photo!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

Yep. Rank incompetence from the Home Office. And dangerous too. Nobody in any kind of senior position will be held accountable.
    Actually - and I've never defended the Home Office on an immigration issue before - its better by far to unnecessarily send letters to people that don't need it warning them that action may be necessary (and saying to disregard it if it doesn't apply to them) than it is to not send letter to people that do need it - only to then later on have some form of consequences to those people who never applied for settled status without realising they needed to do so.

We expect rank incompetence from the Home Office, but sending letters advising people what they need to do to too many people is better than not sending it to enough then having consequences for people years down the line.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

Whose district?
    Take a gander at Mike's thred photo!
    Caught on just before your post.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

Actually - and I've never defended the Home Office on an immigration issue before - its better by far to unnecessarily send letters to people that don't need it warning them that action may be necessary (and saying to disregard it if it doesn't apply to them) than it is to not send letter to people that do need it - only to then later on have some form of consequences to those people who never applied for settled status without realising they needed to do so.

We expect rank incompetence from the Home Office, but sending letters advising people what they need to do to too many people is better than not sending it to enough then having consequences for people years down the line.
    Bollocks I expect the home office to know exactly who has settled status....after all arent they they the ones who handle applications. Once more the civil servants in the home office are found wanting. Sack them all I think and start again
  • Options

That map is up there with the most ridiculous boundaries I have ever seen. Makes Baarle-Hertog look mundane and sensible.

You have indeed led a sheltered life!

And please note, that Baarle-Hertog / Baarle-Nassau geography consists of enclaves and exclaves and one inside the other. Whereas all of the congressional districts are at least (technically) contiguous with the various bits & pieces connected by roads & bridges.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

Bollocks I expect the home office to know exactly who has settled status....after all arent they they the ones who handle applications. Once more the civil servants in the home office are found wanting. Sack them all I think and start again
    Part and parcel of the UK not having ID Cards, we don't have a single ID number that makes all databases talk to each other - and that's a good thing in my opinion!

Entirely possible for databases not to line up sometimes. Eg if a database says that a Mr Philip Thompson has settled status, while another database says that a Mr Phillip Thompson exists and no settled status exists, then should a letter be sent?

What about if a Mr Mark Smith has settled status, who lives with his cousin Mr Marc Smith who doesn't have settled status, should the latter receive a letter?

Without an overhaul or a single unified system and single unified ID Card Number in every single database it will be impossible to shear out 100% of people whom shouldn't receive the letter without also catching cousins, siblings and others meaning that people who needed the letter don't get it.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

These aren't even settled status. These are British citizens of up to 40 years standing.
    How about we send everyone a letter saying they are being investigated for tax and benefit fraud or child abduction?
    If it says "Please disregard if it doesn't apply to you", that'll be OK. That way we won't miss any of the guilty.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

These aren't even settled status. These are British citizens of up to 40 years standing.
    How about we send everyone a letter saying they are being investigated for tax and benefit fraud or child abduction?
    If it says "Please disregard if it doesn't apply to you", that'll be OK. That way we won't miss any of the guilty.
    The letter doesn't say they are being invested for anything.

Best solution may have been to send it to every household as part of a public education campaign, but that might have cost too mcuh.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885

And please note, that Baarle-Hertog / Baarle-Nassau geography consists of enclaves and exclaves and one inside the other. Whereas all of the congressional districts are at least (technically) contiguous with the various bits & pieces connected by roads & bridges.
    I wonder how the UK constituency boundaries would have to be gerrymandered to get a result that looked as close as possible to proportional representation?

I expect finding areas sufficiently dense with LibDems or Greens for them to win more seats might be hard.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

Best solution may have been to send it to every household as part of a public education campaign, but that might have cost too mcuh.
    No it doesn't. I was exaggerating for effect. However, the Home Office has form for this. You might think they would double or triple check.
    I agree about ID cards. I was legally obliged to carry one for years. Did I always? No. Was I imprisoned for not doing so? No. Was it an outrageous infringement on my liberty? No.
    Don't really empathise with the visceral objection.
    Edit. We have an ID number. It's called an NHS number. It has proved crucially effective in our vaccine rollout success.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

Part and parcel of the UK not having ID Cards, we don't have a single ID number that makes all databases talk to each other - and that's a good thing in my opinion!

Entirely possible for databases not to line up sometimes. Eg if a database says that a Mr Philip Thompson has settled status, while another database says that a Mr Phillip Thompson exists and no settled status exists, then should a letter be sent?

What about if a Mr Mark Smith has settled status, who lives with his cousin Mr Marc Smith who doesn't have settled status, should the latter receive a letter?

Without an overhaul or a single unified system and single unified ID Card Number in every single database it will be impossible to shear out 100% of people whom shouldn't receive the letter without also catching cousins, siblings and others meaning that people who needed the letter don't get it.
    Again crap we dont need id cards to implement that we have a single number its called a national insurance number. That is issued when you get settled status strangely, oh look your national insurance number is also recorded against an address when you use it for work or pension or benefits. Stop making excuses for the useless arses
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

I agree Phil is just trying to make excuses for the incompetence of the civil servants in the home office
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

No it doesn't. I was exaggerating for effect. However, the Home Office has form for this. You might think they would double or triple check.
    I agree about ID cards. I was legally obliged to carry one for years. Did I always? No. Was I imprisoned for not doing so? No. Was it an outrageous infringement on my liberty? No.
    Edit. We have an ID number. It's called an NHS number. It has proved crucially effective in our vaccine rollout success.
    We have an NHS number, an NI number and other numbers.

That's my point, the numbers don't talk to each other. The databases don't talk to each other. So how do they double-check without cutting out people who do need the letter, if the databases aren't using the same index as each other? Not every database uses the NHS number, or NI number, or other unique identifier as the database index.

The objection to ID cards in part was that it was designed to have a single unique identifier that all databases could use to link to each other. Which is a disturbing dystopian concept as far as I'm concerned - yes it would make governance more effective, no it is not a good idea at all.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

Again crap we dont need id cards to implement that we have a single number its called a national insurance number. That is issued when you get settled status strangely, oh look your national insurance number is also recorded against an address when you use it for work or pension or benefits. Stop making excuses for the useless arses
    You do realise don't you that if every database linked to each other via NI number then that would be the worst part of ID cards introduced by the backdoor?

Unless I'm misunders you, you make out like you're one who wants a small state, but now you're whinging that we don't have a humongous interlinked government database ensuring that civil servants can look up every element of your life in one mammoth database with a single ID number for everything you've ever done? Seriously!?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

I agree Phil is just trying to make excuses for the incompetence of the civil servants in the home office

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

That's my point, the numbers don't talk to each other. The databases don't talk to each other. So how do they double-check without cutting out people who do need the letter, if the databases aren't using the same index as each other? Not every database uses the NHS number, or NI number, or other unique identifier as the database index.

The objection to ID cards in part was that it was designed to have a single unique identifier that all databases could use to link to each other. Which is a disturbing dystopian concept as far as I'm concerned - yes it would make governance more effective, no it is not a good idea at all.
    Totally irrelevant the home office db will have a column for nhs number and national insurance number it does not need to talk to other database. If you apply for benefits they ask for an ni number which gets filled in their db....they don't need to talk to the main source of truth for ni numbers the hmrc one. I could be wrong but almost willing to bet one thing asked for on the application for settled status is an ni number.

You seem to be under the impression there is only one database that links your name to ni number when in fact loads of them do
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

I have no interest in defending the civil servants in the home office, they can all go hang as far as I'm concerned. I'm normally first to criticise them.

The last thing I want is civil servants in the Home Office to have every bit of government data on you ever recorded by any means, for any reason, all interlinked and accessible on demand by a single ID number. That is a dystopian nightmare I do not trust our Civil Servants with. That is the stuff of nightmares that feeds the Chinese state, not something we want or need in this country.

That our countries databases don't all talk to each other is to me a feature not a bug.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

This is correct. The ID card system planned by the Home Office in 2005-2010 was not like those operating in most European countries. The only country that expressed any interest in emulating it was Thailand, and it was based on an extremely dangerous centralisation of information across all government departments, with the idea that all commercial transactions would also eventually even be recorded on the same card too.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

I have no interest in defending the civil servants in the home office, they can all go hang as far as I'm concerned. I'm normally first to criticise them.

The last thing I want is civil servants in the Home Office to have every bit of government data on you ever recorded by any means, for any reason, all interlinked and accessible on demand by a single ID number. That is a dystopian nightmare I do not trust our Civil Servants with. That is the stuff of nightmares that feeds the Chinese state, not something we want or need in this country.

That our countries databases don't all talk to each other is to me a feature not a bug.
    I didnt ask for db's to talk to each other I just pointed out they probably already have the information. My experience of civil servants though is they tend to do the bare minimum on the whole and I wouldn't be surprised to find someone wrote a query along the lines of "If not uk born raise letter" as it was easier than "If not uk born and has not been accepted for citizenship or settled status raise letter"
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

I didnt ask for db's to talk to each other I just pointed out they probably already have the information. My experience of civil servants though is they tend to do the bare minimum on the whole and I wouldn't be surprised to find someone wrote a query along the lines of "If not uk born raise letter" as it was easier than "If not uk born and has not been accepted for citizenship or settled status raise letter"
    Not UK born != not UK citizen even at birth.

And as I said, the databases may not talk to each other.

If they have a database of foreign nationals that does not include NI numbers, then how do you parse that with a database of settled, without resulting in errors?

Again, worse that someone gets missed than someone gets a letter they can disregard.
  • Options
    Good news, a full easing on 21 June is on track: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/full-easing-is-now-unlikely
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326

I understand your view without sharing it. The problem about the Chinese Government is the Chinese Government - autocrats with few inhibitions. If they didn't have ID cards, they'd manage it anyway. Here in Britain, the advantages of not having umpteen different numbers and codes and passwords would vastly outweigh the drawback that someone in the Home Office can discover I have a broken toenail AND I paid £X in tax AND I filled up with petrol in Hindhead.

I could do without Microsoft making me use cumbersome passwords to log on to my home computer, too, and the spread of two-factor authentication for trivial uses like making a Sainsbury order, as if gangs of crooks were going to pretend to be me so they could buy some cheese.

Enough ranting, good night all!
  • Options

I understand your view without sharing it. The problem about the Chinese Government is the Chinese Government - autocrats with few inhibitions. If they didn't have ID cards, they'd manage it anyway. Here in Britain, the advantages of not having umpteen different numbers and codes and passwords would vastly outweigh the drawback that someone in the Home Office can discover I have a broken toenail AND I paid £X in tax AND I filled up with petrol in Hindhead.

I could do without Microsoft making me use cumbersome passwords to log on to my home computer, too, and the spread of two-factor authentication for trivial uses like making a Sainsbury order, as if gangs of crooks were going to pretend to be me so they could buy some cheese.

You think the british governement is any better? While yes our politicians arent as authoritarian it isn't them that is the problem its all the officials that would have access to said database.....just look at what local governement did with ripa laws for an example
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

You think the british governement is any better? While yes our politicians arent as authoritarian it isn't them that is the problem its all the officials that would have access to said database.....just look at what local governement did with ripa laws for an example
    But that's what you're advocating for. You're lambasting the Home Office for not properly integrating every database they can touch together, which is what the Civil Service wanted to do 2005-2010 but was successfullly fought off.

Are you sure you trust every civil servant and possible government with such an exorbitant amount of power and data? I don't.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    One of the weird things about the gerrymandered districts in the US is that so many of their other boundaries are so staid and straight. Most State and County boundaries are ruled lines on the map, as are roads. And then, suddenly, you get all these wild shapes.

Perhaps this points to a particularly American solution to the problem, instead of lamenting their inability to implement a British-style independent commission. Let the legislators create the districts as now, but limit the number of vertices used to describe the shape of the resultant boundaries (not counting vertices used wholly to follow State boundaries). Four vertices should probably be enough, but I'm willing to compromise and let them have six, or maybe eight.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,952

One of the weird things about the gerrymandered districts in the US is that so many of their other boundaries are so staid and straight. Most State and County boundaries are ruled lines on the map, as are roads. And then, suddenly, you get all these wild shapes.

Perhaps this points to a particularly American solution to the problem, instead of lamenting their inability to implement a British-style independent commission. Let the legislators create the districts as now, but limit the number of vertices used to describe the shape of the resultant boundaries (not counting vertices used wholly to follow State boundaries). Four vertices should probably be enough, but I'm willing to compromise and let them have six, or maybe eight.

Brilliant.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

But that's what you're advocating for. You're lambasting the Home Office for not properly integrating every database they can touch together, which is what the Civil Service wanted to do 2005-2010 but was successfullly fought off.

Are you sure you trust every civil servant and possible government with such an exorbitant amount of power and data? I don't.
    No I am not I am telling you the home office 99% certainty already has the info....every official form you fill out virtually asks for ni number and each db will have a column for it. You don't think when apply for citizenship they would ask for it along with dob address and lots of other info?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

I did not notice that Eutelsat bought a stake in Oneweb last month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56906121

Good spot, I hadn’t seen that one either.

The big difference between OneWeb and Starlink, is that the former is going to be very much a B2B business, rather than B2C. OneWeb will be the backbone of BT broadband delivered to villages in the middle of nowhere.
    It's interesting that the government gave RAF Space Command 400m quid to prevent Russian dominance in space and then subsidises the Russian space program to the tune of $50m/month by paying for Soyuz launches via their British Leyland in Space brainfart,
  • Options

"Cheese it, the crooks!"
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

I wonder how the UK constituency boundaries would have to be gerrymandered to get a result that looked as close as possible to proportional representation?

I expect finding areas sufficiently dense with LibDems or Greens for them to win more seats might be hard.
    I think perhaps you’re misunderstanding the point of gerrymandering ? :smile:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    Japan, apparently, does not have emergency use authorisation for medicines. Realising that this might be a concern in the middle of a pandemic, they are thinking about amending the legislation.
    Next year.
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/COVID-vaccines/Japan-to-allow-emergency-vaccine-rollouts-without-clinical-trials
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,720
    It must be a frustrating place to work given the years of pointless work on the previous reviews, and given a lot of time is for consultation I dont know what they do all day.

But one good thing about the latest legislative changes is its work should not be held up this time.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    kle4 said:

It must be a frustrating place to work given the years of pointless work on the previous reviews, and given a lot of time is for consultation I dont know what they do all day.

But one good thing about the latest legislative changes is its work should not be held up this time.
    I've not followed the twists and turns but are they looking to implement the old exercise or starting all over again... London could be interesting if the numbers (anecdotally) have fallen?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Nigelb said:

Japan, apparently, does not have emergency use authorisation for medicines. Realising that this might be a concern in the middle of a pandemic, they are thinking about amending the legislation.
    Next year.
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/COVID-vaccines/Japan-to-allow-emergency-vaccine-rollouts-without-clinical-trials

They're like the Ents in Lord of the Rings.
  • Options
    Just watching last night's Sky News paper review, which featured the PM's sister. All she seems to be interested in is the ability of people to go on holiday.

I bet the PM's been listening to her.
  • Options
    Back to the Boundary Commission (England) - they are about to launch the new review (June 2021) with a deadline of Jul 2023 which offers an interesting timeline for the GE spotters.... quite a tight elector range 69000-77000.

https://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/2023-review/guide-to-the-2023-review-of-parliamentary-constituencies/
  • Options

Back to the Boundary Commission (England) - they are about to launch the new review (June 2021) with a deadline of Jul 2023 which offers an interesting timeline for the GE spotters.... quite a tight elector range 69000-77000.

https://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/2023-review/guide-to-the-2023-review-of-parliamentary-constituencies/

Why does it take so long to do? The last election was 18 months ago. Surely they can get the whole thing done by early 2022?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Why does it take so long to do? The last election was 18 months ago. Surely they can get the whole thing done by early 2022?
    Maybe they need the census returns from this Spring? Having seen the howls about the proposed Devon-Cornwall seat it can be quite emotive...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    dixiedean said:
    Even so, the pressure on it from the political parties, backed by the large majority of “public representations” from tame party members and the like, are always towards creating more safe seats. Which is what has tended to happen, as you can judge at times when the electoral climate is relatively stable.

The current dramatic realignment (temporary or progressive, take your pick) is of course rendering the effect of current boundaries more random, as far as the number and location of marginal seats is concerned.
  • Options
    This gets interesting - this is the allocation of seats for England - London will have 2 more seats while NW & NE both lose 2.

"This Commission has applied the same distribution formula to the English allocation, which results in the following redistribution of constituencies among the English regions for the 2023 Review:

Eastern = 61 (increase of three)
    East Midlands = 47 (increase of one)
    London = 75 (increase of two)
    North East = 27 (decrease of two)
    North West = 73 (decrease of two)
    South East = 91 (increase of seven)
    South West = 58 (increase of three)
    West Midlands = 57 (decrease of two)
    Yorkshire and the Humber = 54 (no change)"
  • Options

Keeping the narrow range may come to be seen as a misjudgement.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:
    Even so, the pressure on it from the political parties, backed by the large majority of “public representations” from tame party members and the like, are always towards creating more safe seats. Which is what has tended to happen, as you can judge at times when the electoral climate is relatively stable.

The current dramatic realignment (temporary or progressive, take your pick) is of course rendering the effect of current boundaries more random, as far as the number and location of marginal seats is concerned.
    Do you have some examples of pressure to create safe seats?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

A classic example was the one I participated in during the 1990s, in Redbridge/Waltham Forest, where the commission’s proposal which would have created a cross-border marginal was contested by both Labour and Tory counter-proposals each removing the marginal to introduce a 3:2 situation favouring their own party. The Commission’s proposal - although in my view the soundest as far as the actual boundaries were concerned - didn’t stand a chance against such overwhelming opposition and eventually Labour’s proposal was implemented.

In the event the swing in 1997 was so big that Labour won four of the five, but the situation returned to 3:2 thereafter until 2015.

Look at any political party’s counter-proposal to the commission and it is almost always to create more winnable seats for their own side, at the expense of genuine electoral marginals.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

A classic example was the one I participated in during the 1990s, in Redbridge/Waltham Forest, where the commission’s proposal which would have created a cross-border marginal was contested by both Labour and Tory counter-proposals each removing the marginal to introduce a 3:2 situation favouring their own party. The Commission’s proposal - although in my view the soundest as far as the actual boundaries were concerned - didn’t stand a chance against such overwhelming opposition and eventually Labour’s proposal was implemented.

In the event the swing in 1997 was so big that Labour won four of the five, but the situation returned to 3:2 thereafter until 2015.

Look at any political party’s counter-proposal to the commission and it is almost always to create more winnable seats for their own side, at the expense of genuine electoral marginals.
    Really the commission's proposal should be final.
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    tlg86 said:

Just watching last night's Sky News paper review, which featured the PM's sister. All she seems to be interested in is the ability of people to go on holiday.

Excellent. I hope lots of vaccinated people go on holiday. We need to live our lives.

Freedom is not at the behest of the Government to bestow upon our citizens. There was an excellent piece about this by Tim Stanley in yesterday's D. Tel:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/17/manipulated-brits-still-covid-leash2/

Apologies that it's behind a paywall
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    We have become like Pavlov's dogs or the Gringott's dragon, cowering at the merest ring of the cowbell.

There is not the slightest evidence that the Indian strain is a greater risk than any other and next month it will be the Ulan Batur strain, then the Nauru strain, then the Tamanrasset one.

It's an utter nonsense. Get vaccinated and live your life. Thank the Government for your vaccine but never, ever, thank them for your freedom. It is not theirs to hand down like some beneficent overlord. It's your right.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Excellent. I hope lots of vaccinated people go on holiday. We need to live our lives.

Freedom is not at the behest of the Government to bestow upon our citizens. There was an excellent piece about this by Tim Stanley in yesterday's D. Tel:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/17/manipulated-brits-still-covid-leash2/

Oh I don't have a problem with people going on holiday, so long as the politicians stop wetting themselves about new variants that they are allowing people to bring back into the country.
  • Options

They win?
    The Boundary Commission is one thing I am unashamedly able to say is a very good thing about the UK.

The Tory Red Wall seats should offer an interesting element to some of the boundary discussions in NE and NW England.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Oh I don't have a problem with people going on holiday, so long as the politicians stop wetting themselves about new variants that they are allowing people to bring back into the country.
    We are of one mind then on this :smile:
  • Options
    Why are we do obsessed with using geographical features for the creation of parliamentary seats? Wouldn't it be more useful, given we live in a digital, connected world to create constituencies based on other affinity groups:

- urban 20-35 year olds who drink tea
    - small town 70+ who own their own homes
    - lovers of ska music
    Etc.

People could even be assigned to (say) three affinity groupings, so as to make more competitive seats, and to ensure that you had more than one representative.
  • Options

That's quite a sensible range, I thought they'd gone with +/- 2.5%, which would have ended up with some very artificial constituencies.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Because they do want local feedback: @ydoethur gave the example of a Welsh constituency where they'd managed to connect two communities separated by a mountain where you'd need to drive for an hour to get between them.

The problem is that political parties insert themselves into the process.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Morning all.

Good one this, CNN’s Chris Cuomo visibly gets the fear in his eyes as he realises what he’s being told is deadly serious.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/05/18/government-report-ufo-cuomo-intv-cpt-vpx.cnn
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    It seems to me that what we want from boundaries is the exact opposite of what politicians want. We want more marginal or swing seats so that our representatives are more accountable and changes in the national mood have practical effect. Safe seats are anathema to meaningful democracy.

What politicians want is job security and the ability to build a career over a couple of decades with a reasonably secure income. How many of us would want to run the risk of getting chucked out of our profession every 4-5 years? I actually have just the tiniest bit of sympathy to our political masters here. Politics has enough trouble attracting talent without increasing this variable.

In Scotland we have the list system. So Mungo Fraser lost to John Swinney in South Perthshire but is still an MSP anyway. Is this a pure democracy? Not really, if you define democracy by the ability to kick the bastards out. But it does allow a form of proportional representation for those that voted for Fraser and it does allow him some degree of certainty in his career.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Of course it is. But its easier to call bullcrap on it and easier for Commissioners to ignore it.

Not perfect, and setting the terms has an impact, but by and large it gets the job done.

And while Cicero raises some decent points the fact is not everywhere is Cornwall - county boundaries are not always great for drawing lines between where people actually live, nor are settlement boundaries. Look at Reading/Wokingham (settlement, I dont know if the seats make sense). My town had a 4000 population contiguous 'village' in another sear as ostensibly it was separate and that made the numbers game work. Nothings perfect.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Because they do want local feedback: @ydoethur gave the example of a Welsh constituency where they'd managed to connect two communities separated by a mountain where you'd need to drive for an hour to get between them.

The problem is that political parties insert themselves into the process.
    We have a new county council ward with the island’s biggest hill in the middle of it, which during the review the previous Conservative council had argued was a focal point for the communities on either side of it.

The Conservative submission was accepted and the subsequent proposal had the ward in two parts without even a road link between them. When i pointed this out, they tweaked the boundary so that it ran along the middle of a road; to get from one part of the ward to another without leaving it, you now need to drive on the north side of the road in both directions. Progress, I guess.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    Good morning everyone. Brighter here today.

Taking Mr B2's point, it's often argued that rivers are natural boundaries, whereas sometimes they provide areas with a community of interests. And there are some rather strange boundaries in this part of Essex.
  • Options

Taking Mr B2's point, it's often argued that rivers are natural boundaries, whereas sometimes they provide areas with a community of interests. And there are some rather strange boundaries in this part of Essex.

The same issue arises with underground lines in outer London, where they run above ground. The stations along the lines are focal points for the communities (often having been built in the middle of farmland with the houses coming later). Yet, when it suits the parties, they will happily argue that they represent good boundaries between wards or constituencies.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

Particularly Chelmsford when Dan Lawrence is setting up a declaration.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    edited May 2021
    Cicero said:

Gerrymandering is a particular feature for single member FPTP systems.

In the UK, Instead of adapting the boundaries to fit a single member seat, we could simply set the number of MPs to fit the boundaries of a city or county. For example, everyone knows where the boundary of Cornwall is, on the River Tamar. In 2019 with six single member seats Cornwall got six Conservatives. With fair voting system the result would be more like 3-4 Tories, 1-2 Labour, 1 Lib Dem. As it is 47% of the votes in Cornwall are ignored and 53% of the vote gets 100% of the power. The same applies in reverse in Merseyside, with 14 of the 15 seats held by Labour, despite the other parties getting over a third of the vote.

That is a fixed system and eventually it will blow up in the faces of the self serving politicos who prefer the convenience (for them) of safe seats instead of a genuinely competitive election.

Much of the polarisation of British politics can be put down to the safe seats, and in truth if all seats were competitive then the standard of politics and of politicians in Britain might well be a lot higher. If only Margaret Thatcher had beleived in a free market in politics then the added competition might have solved many of the problems that we face today.

I agree. Multimember STV seats would have much more natural boundaries.

Safe seats make for bad politics. We cannot "chuck them out" for being useless drones when they are in safe seats, only the parties can by deselection, so we wind up with party hacks gifted with permanent jobs.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

But people can't just live their lives. Social distancing is still a legal requirement, as are masks, and many premises are closed entirely still or unviable given current social distancing requirements.

So it's about priorities and my priority would have been to get rid of all that bullshit first before foreign travel.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It seems to me that what we want from boundaries is the exact opposite of what politicians want. We want more marginal or swing seats so that our representatives are more accountable and changes in the national mood have practical effect. Safe seats are anathema to meaningful democracy.

What politicians want is job security and the ability to build a career over a couple of decades with a reasonably secure income. How many of us would want to run the risk of getting chucked out of our profession every 4-5 years? I actually have just the tiniest bit of sympathy to our political masters here. Politics has enough trouble attracting talent without increasing this variable.

In Scotland we have the list system. So Mungo Fraser lost to John Swinney in South Perthshire but is still an MSP anyway. Is this a pure democracy? Not really, if you define democracy by the ability to kick the bastards out. But it does allow a form of proportional representation for those that voted for Fraser and it does allow him some degree of certainty in his career.

I dont think people do want more marginal or swing seats, or they'd be more supportive of systems more likely to see changes in seat numbers. They want seats which reflect communities, but that's a lot harder than they think, especially with seats of similar scale, and when theyll often be based on local boundaries which, despite similar principles may also be illogical.

There are communities growing up on the edge of Swindon that align to it but are not in the unitary, so it's probably hard to get them the Parliamentary rep that is most appropriate.

Flawed but mostly works - that's Britain.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

This is the problem isn't. Boris can' t bear to stop people holidaying, in comes some more cases and then it's all about stopping the variants...
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Of course it is. But its easier to call bullcrap on it and easier for Commissioners to ignore it.

Not perfect, and setting the terms has an impact, but by and large it gets the job done.

And while Cicero raises some decent points the fact is not everywhere is Cornwall - county boundaries are not always great for drawing lines between where people actually live, nor are settlement boundaries. Look at Reading/Wokingham (settlement, I dont know if the seats make sense). My town had a 4000 population contiguous 'village' in another sear as ostensibly it was separate and that made the numbers game work. Nothings perfect.
    Our system is better than the American one, for sure, in that when the parties stretch credibility, the commission will normally spot it. The review I mentioned above is a good example, since the Conservative counter-proposal had carefully assembled the wards in each Borough on either side of the stretch of Epping Forest that runs into London into a safe Tory seat. It had a big lump of forest in the middle of it, which they argued was a focal point, and one of the pieces of evidence they submitted to the review was that dog walkers from Redbridge and Waltham Forest often met in the forest and said hello to each other. Yes, they really did.

The Commission wasn’t going to touch a proposal like this and took the Labour counter-proposal in preference, which was equally biased but less incredibly argued.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Why are we do obsessed with using geographical features for the creation of parliamentary seats? Wouldn't it be more useful, given we live in a digital, connected world to create constituencies based on other affinity groups:

- lovers of ska music
    Etc.

People could even be assigned to (say) three affinity groupings, so as to make more competitive seats, and to ensure that you had more than one representative.
    I know you're joking but that would guarantee safer seats.

And geography to ensure the local community has a representative that cares about that community. At least that's the idea.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I dont think people do want more marginal or swing seats, or they'd be more supportive of systems more likely to see changes in seat numbers. They want seats which reflect communities, but that's a lot harder than they think, especially with seats of similar scale, and when theyll often be based on local boundaries which, despite similar principles may also be illogical.

There are communities growing up on the edge of Swindon that align to it but are not in the unitary, so it's probably hard to get them the Parliamentary rep that is most appropriate.

A better system is STV, where you still have constituencies and boundaries, but have the alternative option of tweaking the number of MPs rather than cutting a slice off a city, or lumping in a patch of countryside, when the numbers get out of balance.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    ydoethur said:

Well observed. Thought you'd have been concentrating on marking at the moment, though!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    DavidL said:

There's nothing that makes any seat intrinsically safe. Every vote is up for grabs for a Party with the right policies.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Betting Post

Good morning, everyone.

F1: it's Monaco, unfortunately, next. However, Perez has a good track record there and one of the Red Bull's main disadvantages is on straight line top end pace. This is not exactly a key feature of the tight processional circuit in Monte Carlo.

Accordingly, I've put tiny sums at 16 and 26 on Perez for the win and pole (both each way, odds with boost at Ladbrokes).
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cicero said:

In the UK, Instead of adapting the boundaries to fit a single member seat, we could simply set the number of MPs to fit the boundaries of a city or county. For example, everyone knows where the boundary of Cornwall is, on the River Tamar. In 2019 with six single member seats Cornwall got six Conservatives. With fair voting system the result would be more like 3-4 Tories, 1-2 Labour, 1 Lib Dem. As it is 47% of the votes in Cornwall are ignored and 53% of the vote gets 100% of the power. The same applies in reverse in Merseyside, with 14 of the 15 seats held by Labour, despite the other parties getting over a third of the vote.

That is a fixed system and eventually it will blow up in the faces of the self serving politicos who prefer the convenience (for them) of safe seats instead of a genuinely competitive election.

Much of the polarisation of British politics can be put down to the safe seats, and in truth if all seats were competitive then the standard of politics and of politicians in Britain might well be a lot higher. If only Margaret Thatcher had beleived in a free market in politics then the added competition might have solved many of the problems that we face today.

Safe seats make for bad politics. We cannot "chuck them out" for being useless drones when they are in safe seats, only the parties can by deselection, so we wind up with party hacks gifted with permanent jobs.
    Disagree. One of the only times the Labour Party has stood aside to give someone a free run was Tatton in 1997:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatton_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_1990s
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I find this reference to coherent communities completely flawed and delusional. The object of the exercise is to elect a representative for a certain number of people. Who cares whether that fits a particular community boundary or not? Politicians like to pretend to but only because it gives them some control over the process and the ability to exclude bits that don't fit that community. Take that to its logical extreme and you end up with constituencies like the one in the thread header.

To take another example I am in Dundee West for Westminster, Angus South for Holyrood and Angus Council for local government. There is no coherent community but Dundee West would not be large enough anymore if it did not absorb some villages on the outskirts like mine. Which is fine. I get a vote and I get a representative who I can approach should I ever need to. Which has never happened by the way, let's not overstate the politician's significance.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

There's nothing that makes any seat intrinsically safe. Every vote is up for grabs for a Party with the right policies.
    Manufactured ignorance like that adds very little to the debate.

If you are selected as Labour candidate for Bootle or Tory candidate for Sevenoaks, I’d say your job is as good as sewn up for life. Your voters will never be canvassed and will count themselves lucky if they ever see an election leaflet, probably just the one delivered by the Royal Mail at taxpayers’ expense.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

If you are selected as Labour candidate for Bootle or Tory candidate for Sevenoaks, I’d say your job is as good as sewn up for life. Your voters will never be canvassed and will count themselves lucky if they ever see an election leaflet, probably just the one delivered by the Royal Mail at taxpayers’ expense.
    I am sure someone said that about Sedgefield or even Hartlepool at one time.....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

I don't think it matters how Merseyside is carved up, the results would be the same.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

ydoethur said:

Well observed. Thought you'd have been concentrating on marking at the moment, though!
    There is a limit to how much marking you can do (and incidentally 11 and 13 are sitting twice as many exams as normal on average and we’re having to mark them all, without extra pay) before checking the cricket score.

OFQUAL have given so much confused guidance that teachers have publicly and quite seriously asked if they are smoking weed. They have said we must complete rigorous assessments, to use as evidence, but we shouldn’t set lots of exams. I mean come off it...

And there’s now a move to refuse to pay exam boards this year on the grounds they are doing fuck all but charging the same amount of money for doing it.

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-gcse-a-level-academy-trusts-mat-leaders-warn-exam-boards-over-gcse-bills

The situation is a shambles. Can you blame me for wanting to admire Lawrence’s batting for five minutes?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Really don't know who flagged this, I can assure you it wasn't me. Of course being the Labour MP for Hartlepool used to have incredible job security until...it didn't. Things can change over time particularly when parties lose contact with what their traditional supporters want but there are still an awful lot of seats that don't change hands even in a very bad year for the party. It's artificial to pretend otherwise. In my view such seats make something of a mockery of the democratic process and discourage participation.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cicero said:

What's a safe seat?

Hartlepool?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    rcs1000 said:

- lovers of ska music
    Etc.

Love it!

imagine the headlines

Tenth Recount in the OCD seat
    Labour Insider parachuted into the Adrenaline Sports Lovers Seat
    All candidates caught fiddling election expenses in the Fraudsters Seat (credit card division)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Yes, in Leicester we have 3 safe Labour seats, in Leics 6 safe Tory seats, only Loughborough ever changes. So we don't get either active campaigns or a slice of the pork barrel being doled out in marginals. It is bad politics. Not least because much of the county works in the city, and vice versa.
This discussion has been closed.