Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the betting punters make it a 59% chance that Starmer will be out before the end of next year – p

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848

I must admit that your posts are so predictable I usually pass over them

No, you don't. You comment on them, incessantly.

Despite never reading them...

Get a life.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,197
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: I’ve learnt that Sage are holding an urgent meeting tomorrow to discuss a dramatic rise in cases of the Indian variant, with some scientists fearing delays to roadmap: https://inews.co.uk/news/scientists-fear-possible-delay-end-lockdown-uk-cases-india-variant-triple-one-week-998811

Covered by the vaccine, with no sign of increased cases in over 50s. Govenment just needs to stop buggering about and open up the fridges to get first doses finishes in the next month.
    Mine’s booked for a week tomorrow. Can’t wait!
    Smug Welsh gits.

The problem with the government getting loads of great press for vaccine procurement is we're now faffing on the final leg of distribution and they're getting away with it, holding back large stocks when each extra first dose has a much bigger impact on the R rate than back in January - they should be getting every shot possible in an arm, like Wales is.
    Staffordshire is in Wales?

That’s a sudden rapid expansion of my motherland I was unaware of.

Mind you, if I teach in Wales at least I am shot of those odious low lifes Williamson, Gibb and Spielman.
    Cannock Chased!
    Leaving behind a lot of Burntwood and Stone?
    All this does is leave you Rugeley interrupted!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,099

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Turned Novara on - listened for 30 seconds - turned it off

What is it about the hard left and Israel?

Can you defend the threatened evictions of Palestinians from East Jerusalem that kicked this all off?
    Why would I want to?

I can condemn both - simples really
    Because the Palestinians would face eviction from their own city?
    yes - and I will not defend that - is it really that difficult?
    We all know about Russia's illegal and unilateral annexation of Crimea.

Did you know Israel illegally and unilaterally annexed East Jerusalem AND the Golan Heights in 1980-1981?
    Russia invaded Crimea unprovoked.

Egypt started the conflict that led to Israel capturing the Golan Heights and East Jerusalem.
    In the interests of strict accuracy:

Israel fired the first shots, thereby surprising the Egyptians and disarranging their carefully planned invasion that was set to launch the following day.
    Israel fired the first shots but Egypt did the casus belli by closing the Straits of Tiran and the Arab states were planning to invade Israel to destroy it, not for the first time.
    The illegal annexations were in 1980-1981, a wee while AFTER the Six-Day War ended.
    They gained the land in self-defence, fair enough to annex it. If you don't want to lose land to another country don't try and destroy that country! Had the Arabs not tried to destroy Israel then they wouldn't have taken the land to annex it.

Besides of course they didn't take the land from "Palestine" as there was no country called Palestine. Egypt, Syria, Jordan - but not Palestine.
    The irony being of course that those lands had been annexed by those countries (Golan excepted) in the Arab-Israeli War, when the Arab armies invaded to help the Palestinians and sort of forgot to leave...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: I’ve learnt that Sage are holding an urgent meeting tomorrow to discuss a dramatic rise in cases of the Indian variant, with some scientists fearing delays to roadmap: https://inews.co.uk/news/scientists-fear-possible-delay-end-lockdown-uk-cases-india-variant-triple-one-week-998811

Covered by the vaccine, with no sign of increased cases in over 50s. Govenment just needs to stop buggering about and open up the fridges to get first doses finishes in the next month.
    Smug Welsh gits.

The problem with the government getting loads of great press for vaccine procurement is we're now faffing on the final leg of distribution and they're getting away with it, holding back large stocks when each extra first dose has a much bigger impact on the R rate than back in January - they should be getting every shot possible in an arm, like Wales is.

Mind you, if I teach in Wales at least I am shot of those odious low lifes Williamson, Gibb and Spielman.
    Cannock Chased!
    It doesn’t work, that one, it’s gone for a Burton.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Can you defend the threatened evictions of Palestinians from East Jerusalem that kicked this all off?
    Why would I want to?

Did you know Israel illegally and unilaterally annexed East Jerusalem AND the Golan Heights in 1980-1981?

Egypt started the conflict that led to Israel capturing the Golan Heights and East Jerusalem.

Israel fired the first shots, thereby surprising the Egyptians and disarranging their carefully planned invasion that was set to launch the following day.
    Israel fired the first shots but Egypt did the casus belli by closing the Straits of Tiran and the Arab states were planning to invade Israel to destroy it, not for the first time.
    The illegal annexations were in 1980-1981, a wee while AFTER the Six-Day War ended.
    They gained the land in self-defence, fair enough to annex it. If you don't want to lose land to another country don't try and destroy that country! Had the Arabs not tried to destroy Israel then they wouldn't have taken the land to annex it.

Besides of course they didn't take the land from "Palestine" as there was no country called Palestine. Egypt, Syria, Jordan - but not Palestine.
    The land had, and still has, people living in it, you know. Especially East Jerusalem.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

The endless cool grey weather is really raping my vibe

At four pm today the weather was amazing I nearly broke out the rosé. Now it's effing freezing.
    Don't look at the medium term forecasts. It actually gets WORSE
    I have been invited to a birthday party on Friday for 14 people. Indoors. There might even be hugging. Fuck the weather.

But yes. Imagine this weather last year. We'd all have killed ourselves. And I'm not even joking.
    Knowing 14 people who share the same birthday is quite remarkable.
    Shall we do the math it's not that unlikely but yes ok I take your point.
    Ooh, it's ferociously unlikely! How many people would you have to know so that it was as likely as not that you could find a day on which 14 of them had a birthday? It must be in the high tens of thousands.
    I know the old chestnut about if you have 23 people, you'd expect two of them to share a birthday - and ISTR if you have about 300 you might reasonably expect 6 of them to share a birthday...
    I know this relates neither to the original point nor the joke but I'm fascinated now...
    Good point let someone do the calcs.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Why would I want to?

The land had, and still has, people living in it, you know. Especially East Jerusalem.
    Yes and now it is part of Israel. Fairly annexed after the country that planned to destroy Israel triggered a war to destroy Israel, lost it, and renounced all claims on the land.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,325
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I see today's topic of discussion on PB is architecture.

Yes. And is liking modern architecture Woke, I'm wondering? Does it show a sneery disdain for ordinary people? I'm betting it does!
    Sneering at Poundbury (I see theuniondivvie had a go) is extremely Woke and Lefty and Ageing-in-Hampstead

Millions of people would love to live in Poundbury. A beautiful, neo-Georgian town in Dorset. With a Waitrose. What's not to love?

The Guardian loved to hate it

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/aug/17/prince-charles-dream-village-poundbury

But has now changed its mind

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/oct/27/poundbury-prince-charles-village-dorset-disneyland-growing-community
    What I find interesting is that few people realise that the Victorian/Edwardian terraces and semis that are so loved are not actually a million miles from the ugly box style of "executive homes".

The decoration that makes people love them is often mass produced mouldings (there is a good business in reproductions by people who have the original moulds). Bay windows are a trivial piece of brickwork. Etc etc.

If modern house builders wanted to create repro Victorian/Edwardian, it is not actually very hard. Or expensive.

But that would be "fake".
    The Victorians were the people who started mass producing standard bricks etc. They had to be standardised in order to make mass production possible.

The history of bricks is fascinating. The go to publication is the Brick Bulletin.
    That sounds masochistic, positively bondage...
    It also helps if you have walls built occasionally :smile: .

Churchill was (allegedly) a good brickie.

If you want real pain, then you need to read the Guardian whinging about how bricks are sexist because women's hands are too small.

No one noticed that when the size of brick was made standard, men then were about the same height as women are now...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/feb/23/truth-world-built-for-men-car-crashes
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    Turns out the Alba party was a success after all...
    Wings Over Scotland's Stuart Campbell announces he is quitting blogging
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19298427.wings-scotlands-stuart-campbell-announces-quitting-blogging/?ref=twtrec
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Why would I want to?

Yes and now it is part of Israel. Fairly annexed after the country that planned to destroy Israel triggered a war to destroy Israel, lost it, and renounced all claims on the land.
    When did Egypt hold East Jerusalem?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,262
    Anti-Maskers Ready to Start Masking—to Protect Themselves From the Vaccinated

An anti-vaccine conspiracy about the vaccinated are leading some anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers to contemplate wearing a mask and social distance.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nnwg/anti-maskers-ready-to-start-maskingto-protect-themselves-from-the-vaccinated
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    Scott_xP said:

I must admit that your posts are so predictable I usually pass over them

No, you don't. You comment on them, incessantly.

Despite never reading them...

Get a life.
    Dear me

Your last three words are hilarious

It is not me who is obsessed with Boris and Brexit and posts 24/7 on the subject
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

At four pm today the weather was amazing I nearly broke out the rosé. Now it's effing freezing.
    I have been invited to a birthday party on Friday for 14 people. Indoors. There might even be hugging. Fuck the weather.

But yes. Imagine this weather last year. We'd all have killed ourselves. And I'm not even joking.
    Here you go: https://www.quora.com/In-a-group-of-n-people-what-is-the-probability-that-m-people-share-a-birthday
  • Options

An anti-vaccine conspiracy about the vaccinated are leading some anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers to contemplate wearing a mask and social distance.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nnwg/anti-maskers-ready-to-start-maskingto-protect-themselves-from-the-vaccinated

I think this is an excellent idea, for two reasons:

1) It will keep them away from the rest of us

2) It will enable the rest of us who have abandoned mask wearing (apart from those who share Mr Whitty’s fetishes) to see who these people actually are.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

Scott_xP said:

Smug Welsh gits.

Cannock Chased!
    Coming up with puns about Staffordshire is going to get us tied up in knots.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,891
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Pretty sure it's going to be 'discovered' that SKS had a hand in every fuck up of the last 20 years

Was Starmer involved in the Post Office fiasco?
    The Evening Standard are gunning for him though - London's biggest paper.

I remember saying it wasn't that important that Osborne was Editor as it didn't have much reach outside London - The remainers on here, some of them now Sir Keir's biggest fans, told me it was MASSSIVE
    Mind you, that John Kay story about his ex wife is unreal. What am I missing? How did they give him his job back?!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

Lord have mercy...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Why would I want to?

Jordan held it. Jordan was on the aggressors side, lost the war, lost the land and renounced the land. So Israel took the land and annexed it, fair enough. Why shouldn't they, Jordan aren't asking for the land back. Its Israel's fair and square.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    edited May 2021

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Here you go: https://www.quora.com/In-a-group-of-n-people-what-is-the-probability-that-m-people-share-a-birthday
    Thanks Nick it's presumably one minus the probability that no one shares a birthday.

I mean still a binomial with p= p(birthday)...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited May 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Turns out the Alba party was a success after all...
    Wings Over Scotland's Stuart Campbell announces he is quitting blogging
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19298427.wings-scotlands-stuart-campbell-announces-quitting-blogging/?ref=twtrec

No surprise, Campbell was a strong Salmond and Alba supporter and despises Sturgeon and the SNP and, probably correctly, believes they will do sod all about delivering independence as long as they remain in power at Holyrood.

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

Scott_xP said:

Smug Welsh gits.

Cannock Chased!
    Coming up with puns about Staffordshire is going to get us tied up in knots.
    It will certainly stoke tensions between our champion punners.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Pretty sure it's going to be 'discovered' that SKS had a hand in every fuck up of the last 20 years

I remember saying it wasn't that important that Osborne was Editor as it didn't have much reach outside London - The remainers on here, some of them now Sir Keir's biggest fans, told me it was MASSSIVE
    Mind you, that John Kay story about his ex wife is unreal. What am I missing? How did they give him his job back?!
    from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kay_(journalist,_born_1943)

Defended at trial by John Mathew QC (paid for by The Sun) he pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility; this was accepted by the court.[1][14][15] After a spell of treatment at a psychiatric hospital in Friern Barnet he was taken back on by The Sun on condition that he be confined to the office.[1]
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Why would I want to?

Jordan held it. Jordan was on the aggressors side, lost the war, lost the land and renounced the land. So Israel took the land and annexed it, fair enough. Why shouldn't they, Jordan aren't asking for the land back. Its Israel's fair and square.
    You seem to have missed the bit in 1988 when Jordan renounced its claims IN FAVOUR of the PLO (as was, representing the Palestinians).
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Not half. How come I was unaware one of The Sun's top reporters had a manslaughter conviction?
    Cos it wasn't in the papers obvs.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,215
    edited May 2021
    isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

The world used to be run by an Upper 10,000 - the great and the good, by hereditary rules.

It is now run by the new Upper 10,000 - membership is easy to identify. When they "fail", they get a better paid job. Consequences are for the little people.

When one of the people involved in the Rotherham mess was give a bigger child services job in Australia, it was apparently absolutely impossible not to give them a glowing testimonial and support....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited May 2021

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes. And is liking modern architecture Woke, I'm wondering? Does it show a sneery disdain for ordinary people? I'm betting it does!
    Sneering at Poundbury (I see theuniondivvie had a go) is extremely Woke and Lefty and Ageing-in-Hampstead

Millions of people would love to live in Poundbury. A beautiful, neo-Georgian town in Dorset. With a Waitrose. What's not to love?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/aug/17/prince-charles-dream-village-poundbury

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/oct/27/poundbury-prince-charles-village-dorset-disneyland-growing-community
    What I find interesting is that few people realise that the Victorian/Edwardian terraces and semis that are so loved are not actually a million miles from the ugly box style of "executive homes".

The decoration that makes people love them is often mass produced mouldings (there is a good business in reproductions by people who have the original moulds). Bay windows are a trivial piece of brickwork. Etc etc.

If modern house builders wanted to create repro Victorian/Edwardian, it is not actually very hard. Or expensive.

I live in a mid Victorian 4 bedroom terrace on a main road in Merseyside. It is by far the best house I have ever lived in. Airy, spacious with humongously thick walls and a 120ft rear garden about 10 minute walk from a train station with a bus stop 10 foot away from my front gate that takes me straight to the city centre. Apart from their relative sizes, older houses are usually built in more convenient areas.

Yep. Victorians built far better than Georgians on the whole. The problem with houses of that age is that they were designed to be leaky and not insulated, so that all needs redoing now.

It might be interesting to find out how many people used to live in it. Look up the 1901 census - could be one or more multi-generation families.

We have massively more living space per person these days. It went up by 20% just between 1990 and 2000. I can't find a recent figure.

@ydoethur needs a lesson plan about bricks.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

The miscarriage rate quoted for takers of an mRNA vaccine https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2104983 was found to be 13.8%. It's certainly not a statistically significant finding on the upside.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Other than Corbyn has there ever been a party leader that has had serious challenges to their leadership and has yet managed to hold on for many years?

(Corbyn is a little different in that he was anti-colgate from day one)

The challenges to Starmer don't really amount to 'serious' yet, but not so far off.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Omnium said:

Other than Corbyn has there ever been a party leader that has had serious challenges to their leadership and has yet managed to hold on for many years?

The challenges to Starmer don't really amount to 'serious' yet, but not so far off.

Disraeli?

Edit - also Baldwin survived two challenges, one in 1923 and one in 1930.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Omnium said:

Major in '95? He managed two more years (nearly!)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    God, I just got back from Sainsbury's. Haven't been there in ages.

What a diabolical experience that was. It's like Tesco now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_xP said:

Do you ever post anything positive

Maybe you should read the post instead of stalking me.

It's not about BoZo

It's not about Brexit

It's breaking news about the Global Pandemic
    The idea that anybody would bother stalking you!

Lolololololololol!!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Why would I want to?

You seem to have missed the bit in 1988 when Jordan renounced its claims IN FAVOUR of the PLO (as was, representing the Palestinians).
    Not their land anymore, they don't get to try and destroy Israel, lose the war, lose land and then renounce the land to someone else.

Germany lost land after losing WWII. Do they now get to claim that land that is now Polish that the Poles got from Germany after WWII ought to belong to a Germanic state of Pomerania instead?

Nope. Germany shouldn't have invaded Poland. Jordan shouldn't have sought to destroy Israel.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Has anyone renewed their car insurance recently? Just had mine through and it's gone up a lot. Put my details through a comparison site and surprisingly my renewal quote was cheaper than anything else.

Might give my current provider a call, but was just a bit shocked. Has the tax gone up or something?

Renewed my father's car insurance end of April.

It went up by £150, rang them up, and they reduced it by £200.

Apparently prices are going down.

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/cost-of-motoring/what-the-price-index-means-for-you
    I love this annual game, which is a total charade, but if you don't do it you're basically accepting a tax on apathy.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Not half. How come I was unaware one of The Sun's top reporters had a manslaughter conviction?
    Cos it wasn't in the papers obvs.
    Wait until you hear about this dude, I think The Sun, Mail, Talksport, and others employed him after a prison sentence, ok it wasn't murder but still.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/jan/09/pressandpublishing.dailyexpress
  • Options
    Yeah the weather is shit. But you can't control it.

So f**k the weather, adjust your clothing accordingly and carry on with your plans indoor or out regardless.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Foss said:

Omnium said:

Thanks. It's sort of easy to forget these things. An in-government challenge though. So far as I can see SKS will be in unique territory if he survives beyond a few months. (Other than Corbyn)

I'm of course mulling this from a betting perspective.

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,995
    re: architecture - this is a good blog: https://demolition-exeter.blogspot.com/

His main point is that the Nazis get the blame for the destruction of Exeter but the council did most of it in the 50s/60s/70s
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    edited May 2021
    Omnium said:

Foss said:

Omnium said:

Thanks. It's sort of easy to forget these things. An in-government challenge though. So far as I can see SKS will be in unique territory if he survives beyond a few months. (Other than Corbyn)

I'm of course mulling this from a betting perspective.

Wikipedia tells me that Kinnock was challenged by Benn in '88.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I live in a mid Victorian 4 bedroom terrace on a main road in Merseyside. It is by far the best house I have ever lived in. Airy, spacious with humongously thick walls and a 120ft rear garden about 10 minute walk from a train station with a bus stop 10 foot away from my front gate that takes me straight to the city centre. Apart from their relative sizes, older houses are usually built in more convenient areas.

Yep. Victorians built far better than Georgians on the whole. The problem with houses of that age is that they were designed to be leaky and not insulated, so that all needs redoing now.

It might be interesting to find out how many people used to live in it. Look up the 1901 census - could be one or more multi-generation families.

We have massively more living space per person these days. It went up by 20% just between 1990 and 2000. I can't find a recent figure.

@ydoethur needs a lesson plan about bricks.
    Ta. Will take a look now.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,478

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Last week the Teaching Assistant at my daughter's Reception class said to me that she'd asked the class to talk about Birthday Parties - and the kids spoke about Presents and Cake but weren't able to talk much about other things associated with parties as they'd not been to parties. Near the end of the Reception class year and there'd been no school parties in the entire year for them. So the teachers arranged for a birthday party for the class puppet "Claire" and asked for permission to give her cake etc at the party.

She got an invitation to go to 'Claire's birthday' on Friday which she was so excited for and on the Friday came home talking about Pass the Parcel and other things she'd done at the party. 🥳

Both cool that the school arranged that for the kids and a real shame that it had come to that. Such a simple thing wiped out for them to have never been able to experience for real yet. 😒
    Bless the teachers AND your little girl! And a give the lass a hug from PB!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Sainsbury's has always been a slightly more expensive Tesco hasn't it? Just with more middle class mixers.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Thanks @NickPalmer - knew you'd know!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Thanks @NickPalmer - knew you'd know!
    If anyone on this thread still cares...

Hm - according to this formula - or at least Excel's handling of it - the chances of more than 8 people sharing a birthday are zero, however large the group. I can't obviously see a reason why the formula should stop working at 8 - it seems to work fine for numbers up to 8 - so my guess is that it's a problem excel has with working with the enormous numbers you get when you get massive powers and/or factorials.
    It occurs to me that if you have a group of 366*14 = 5124, there is no way that you cannot get 14 people sharing a birthday. So the size of group you need must be some way smaller than this.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,325

Sainsbury's has always been a slightly more expensive Tesco hasn't it? Just with more middle class mixers.
    Go To Waitrose.
This discussion has been closed.