Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Arlene Foster, End Of An Era. Who Next? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ACAB (American Cops Are Bastards) Part #18762
    https://twitter.com/JulianCastro/status/1387246117847511043
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 44% (-)
    LAB: 33% (-1)
    GRN: 7% (-)
    LDEM: 7% (+2)
    REFUK: 3% (+1)

via
    @YouGov
    , 27 - 28 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 22 Apr

SKS fans please explain

Clue he is f****** useless

I don’t remember you saying that about Jeremy Corbyn, and he had much worse numbers against a weaker albeit much better PM.
    Are you actually claiming Theresa May is a "much better PM" than Boris?

On what metric? What on earth did she do that makes her "much better"? She spent tortuous post-Brexit years agreeing to everything the EU wanted, so she could bring home a Brexit deal which was so shit she couldn't get it through parliament. This was a result of her own initial howling errors, when she imposed red lines at the start which painted her into a terrible corner. All her own fault. She achieved nothing else in office.

As an election-winning politician she is *much better* than Boris in the same way that Worksop is "much better" than Paris, ie this is a view so eccentric only one person in the entire world believes it, and it's not even her, it's you.

Even she knows she is shit at elections, she nearly lost to JEREMY CORBYN

"much better"

lol
    Actually, the person who gave the EU what they wanted - a border in the Irish Sea - was Boris Johnson.
    That will be the same Boris Johnson who said he wouldn't enforce the border, prior to the deal being signed, and they entrusted enforcing that border to . . . Boris Johnson.

Now they're acting all surprised that the Boris isn't enforcing the border. Funny that. 😂
    So you’re saying it’s OK he lied about never agreeing to one, because he also lied about enforcing it?
    No. I'm saying he said he'd never have a border, he said he'd never enforce one, now he's not enforcing one and the EU are whinging "why isn't he enforcing a border"? When he told them he wouldn't!

I mean what did they expect? Probably Theresa May style just to see the UK rollover and play dead.
    Except he told them he would and they signed a withdrawal agreement on that basis (otherwise they certainly wouldn’t have signed).
    A politician lied to the EU????

Perish the thought. The sainted EU, which never lies to anyone.... except when, say, they want to adopt an entire Constitution by stealth, voiding national referendums.

"Public opinion will be led - without knowing it - to adopt the policies we would never dare present to them directly. All the earlier proposals will be in the new text, but will be hidden or disguised in some way."

Ex French president, Giscard D'Estaing: chair of the convention that drafted the EU Constitution.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106

Why do they write false reports which will be contradicted by their body-cam footage? Quite apart from anything else it makes you worry about how smart they are.
  • Options

Horrible video to go with

I don't remotely think those cops wanted to kill him. But something is terribly wrong in their training, and their attitude, because how can this possibly KEEP happening?!

I am sure the ubiquity of guns is an issue. They see the armed citizenry as deadly opponents, because they often are
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    TimT said:

MattW said:

Also FPT: - has Twitter in a tizzy:

The looming crisis in Brussels that no one is talking about

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/29/europe/eu-germany-greens-cdu-france-le-pen-intl-cmd/index.html

Consensus seems to be "if we don't talk about it, it will go away..."

They seem to be thinking the Le Pen has some kind of chance at the Presidency - I don't see that even Macron can screw up enough to break through the AnybodyButTheActualFascist voting bloc for the second round.
    She has been repositioning. Plus:

Yes, she's riding high, but there is a ceiling for people - at least up to now - who will vote for anything labelled "Le Pen"

And the second round effect of everyone from hard line communists onward voting against Le Pen has been very very strong.
    Melenchon would get my vote
    "La République, c'est moi!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObgDNk2GXEk
    What is the backstory to this?
    It was a police raid over party funding issues and misuse of European parliament funds.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,924
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Working Class vote
    con 48%
    Lab 29%
    @yougov

Explains Hartlepool.
    I am green on both Candidates in Hartlepool

Should have stuck with my gut that SKS would become the first Labour leader since WW2 to lose his first by election in a seat where his party was incumbent.
    What is interesting is that the far left seems to have concluded that the best strategy is to sabotage and undermine Starmer’s leadership, presumably to install another left-friendly leader who might at some future date cruise to majority power against the then discredited Tories. Meanwhile they, allied with our crooked voting system, simply keep the clown and his ilk in office.

Whereas you’d think that the alternative, which you might call the McIntosh strategy, of allowing some voter-friendly leader to achieve power and then take over the party once it already has power and influence, would be the better bet?
    SKS is clearly a fantastic voter-friendly leader?

Why is he going to lose Hartlepool?

Why is he on 29% of the working class vote?

Why did Centrists think he was a better option than Nandy who i voted for?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

via
    @YouGov
    , 27 - 28 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 22 Apr

SKS fans please explain

I don’t remember you saying that about Jeremy Corbyn, and he had much worse numbers against a weaker albeit much better PM.

On what metric? What on earth did she do that makes her "much better"? She spent tortuous post-Brexit years agreeing to everything the EU wanted, so she could bring home a Brexit deal which was so shit she couldn't get it through parliament. This was a result of her own initial howling errors, when she imposed red lines at the start which painted her into a terrible corner. All her own fault. She achieved nothing else in office.

As an election-winning politician she is *much better* than Boris in the same way that Worksop is "much better" than Paris, ie this is a view so eccentric only one person in the entire world believes it, and it's not even her, it's you.

"much better"

lol
    Actually, the person who gave the EU what they wanted - a border in the Irish Sea - was Boris Johnson.
    That will be the same Boris Johnson who said he wouldn't enforce the border, prior to the deal being signed, and they entrusted enforcing that border to . . . Boris Johnson.

Now they're acting all surprised that the Boris isn't enforcing the border. Funny that. 😂
    So you’re saying it’s OK he lied about never agreeing to one, because he also lied about enforcing it?
    No. I'm saying he said he'd never have a border, he said he'd never enforce one, now he's not enforcing one and the EU are whinging "why isn't he enforcing a border"? When he told them he wouldn't!

I mean what did they expect? Probably Theresa May style just to see the UK rollover and play dead.
    Except he told them he would and they signed a withdrawal agreement on that basis (otherwise they certainly wouldn’t have signed).

Perish the thought. The sainted EU, which never lies to anyone.... except when, say, they want to adopt an entire Constitution by stealth, voiding national referendums.

"Public opinion will be led - without knowing it - to adopt the policies we would never dare present to them directly. All the earlier proposals will be in the new text, but will be hidden or disguised in some way."

Ex French president, Giscard D'Estaing: chair of the convention that drafted the EU Constitution.
    Well they also had a chance to hold up or vote down the TCA having been told by Boris that the UK will simply ignore the NI protocol for as long as it suits us. They didn't, so clearly they don't care that much.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,560

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

via
    @YouGov
    , 27 - 28 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 22 Apr

SKS fans please explain

"much better"

lol

But he told them he wouldn't. Now he's not.

If someone tells you they're not going to do something, maybe clear that up before you sign the deal if that's so important to you?
    Has it occurred to you that what he’s saying now to the tabloids is perhaps not what he said to the Commission?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

via
    @YouGov
    , 27 - 28 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 22 Apr

SKS fans please explain

"much better"

lol

Well they also had a chance to hold up or vote down the TCA having been told by Boris that the UK will simply ignore the NI protocol for as long as it suits us. They didn't, so clearly they don't care that much.
    If they had voted it down, what were the implications for the export of these all-important lipids?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Working Class vote
    con 48%
    Lab 29%
    @yougov

Explains Hartlepool.
    I am green on both Candidates in Hartlepool

Should have stuck with my gut that SKS would become the first Labour leader since WW2 to lose his first by election in a seat where his party was incumbent.
    What is interesting is that the far left seems to have concluded that the best strategy is to sabotage and undermine Starmer’s leadership, presumably to install another left-friendly leader who might at some future date cruise to majority power against the then discredited Tories. Meanwhile they, allied with our crooked voting system, simply keep the clown and his ilk in office.

Whereas you’d think that the alternative, which you might call the McIntosh strategy, of allowing some voter-friendly leader to achieve power and then take over the party once it already has power and influence, would be the better bet?
    SKS is clearly a fantastic voter-friendly leader?

Why is he going to lose Hartlepool?

Why is he on 29% of the working class vote?

Why did Centrists think he was a better option than Nandy who i voted for?
    I'd have voted for Nandy, too. But that would have been quite a gamble.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Just seen Starmer in John Lewis....what a Twat.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited April 2021

Like Ed Miliband in Greggs....politicians think they are being oh so clever, they get loads of likes and smug nods / winks on twitter and the public think knobhead.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I don't remotely think those cops wanted to kill him. But something is terribly wrong in their training, and their attitude, because how can this possibly KEEP happening?!

I am sure the ubiquity of guns is an issue. They see the armed citizenry as deadly opponents, because they often are
    The armed citizenry justifies some of the violence, especially eg split second decisions when they think someone is armed.

Not talking to someone, arresting him, then kneeling on him until he dies before reporting that there was a medical incident following a violent confrontation.
  • Options

Like Ed Miliband in Greggs....politicians think they are being oh so clever, they get loads of likes and smug nods / winks on twitter and the public think knobhead.
    I think it depends who does it. You can get away with it sometimes. I know its unfair but thats the way it is.

Boris could get away with the JL thing, especially if it didnt look overly contrived.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,411
    Party election broadcasts are usually pretty mediocre but this Lib Dem one really is naff.
  • Options

But he got likes and retweets on twitter. It must be effective.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

via
    @YouGov
    , 27 - 28 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 22 Apr

SKS fans please explain

"much better"

lol

If someone tells you they're not going to do something, maybe clear that up before you sign the deal if that's so important to you?
    Has it occurred to you that what he’s saying now to the tabloids is perhaps not what he said to the Commission?
    Are you telling me that the Commission were illiterate? Were they incapable of reading the tabloids themselves?

Not to forget they've just ratified the TCA after he's made it clear its not happening. Which should really end the issue, Boris won, May did not. 😉
  • Options

Leon said:

The armed citizenry justifies some of the violence, especially eg split second decisions when they think someone is armed.

Not talking to someone, arresting him, then kneeling on him until he dies before reporting that there was a medical incident following a violent confrontation.
    Yes, I find this case inexplicable, like Floyd.

Surely you just handcuff a man, make sure he is unarmed, and then that's it? Immediately release him, but guard him; don't pin him to the ground for several long minutes, when this method is known to kill people

A handcuffed man without weapons can't do anything.

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited April 2021

I think it depends who does it. You can get away with it sometimes. I know its unfair but thats the way it is.

Boris could get away with the JL thing, especially if it didnt look overly contrived.
    Boris doesn't usually do it as a shallow political attack, it is normally about boosting him own image / taking the micky out of himself. The public really like when he makes a knob of himself and laughs it off.

Its when super serious politicians engage in this stuff. Cameron suffered from this, trying to appear like he shopped in Morrisons...most people just groan.

A lot of Boris is obvious spin, but his own shtick is being a wally (yes we know its a charade), but its all in keeping with the character. Just as Ricky Gervais plays a particular character both on and off screen, him calling all the actors out and being incredibly rude, that's his shtick.
  • Options

Unbelievably stupid

Who are his advisors if they think a stage managed photo shoot of Starmer holding a roll of wallpaper at John Lewis was a good idea

It is similar to Ed's Edstone in many ways
  • Options
    Taz said:

If retweets were votes, PM Jezza, would have just spent the past year renationalizing every industry in the country.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited April 2021

Dave Cameron in Greggs!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,851
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

via
    @YouGov
    , 27 - 28 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 22 Apr

SKS fans please explain

"much better"

lol

Actually Johnson is enforcing the Protocol. He lied about that too. It's hard to keep up up with Johnson's lies. Interesting to note the 5% of people in Northern Ireland that trust the UK government in a recent poll. The Union is in safe hands with him!
  • Options
    THIS could damage the government, badly, not a bunch of stupid curtains

Five ways that Covid restrictions will remain with us, after June 21

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/27/june-21-wont-much-return-normal-thought/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1403673&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Edi_New_Sub_Digital&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Edi_New_Sub_Digital20210429&utm_campaign=DM1403673

No proper gigs, no crowded pubs, masks forever, Covid marshalls, weird distanced restaurants, vaxports are back, on and on

FUCK THIS SHIT. Really. Fuck it

Boris said it would all be gone by June 21, and that's why we should stick by the looooooong roadmap. The British public have done their bit, and gone along with it. Superbly, in the main. If the British government now turns around and says "Oh we were lying, life will stay eerie and shit forever", then I will never vote for the Tories again
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    ping said:

Lol @ right wingers getting triggered by Starmer in JL

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

PB Tories operate in a permanent state of pearl-clutching outrage while, in the background, Boris shags their wife.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

via
    @YouGov
    , 27 - 28 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 22 Apr

SKS fans please explain

"much better"

lol

Are you telling me that the Commission were illiterate? Were they incapable of reading the tabloids themselves?

Not to forget they've just ratified the TCA after he's made it clear its not happening. Which should really end the issue, Boris won, May did not. 😉
    So you’re willing to forgive him for repeatedly lying to everyone because he won?

In any case, to come back to the key point, Johnson deliberately followed a course of action, when Prime Minister, that he had ostensibly resigned in an attempt to block prior to being Prime Minister.

It was utterly cynical, and utterly successful, and of course, utterly typical. Johnson always does what is in his own best interests. He didn’t want to leave the EU, but it advanced his career so he led leave. He didn’t want a border in the Irish Sea, but he agreed to one so he could win an election. He says he’s opposed to a new Scottish referendum because it plays well with his MPs, but I’ve no doubt he will grant one if it suits him.

And ultimately, that is why he is an even worse Prime Minister than May. At the cost of her career, she tried to do what was best for the country. She failed, but she tried. Johnson doesn’t care about this country (or anything else) as long as he promotes himself.

Unfortunately because his mendacity benefits so many people this has so far not caused him political problems. And of course, it’s possible he will keep running ahead of the consequences for several years.
  • Options
    ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

And the politics are all wrong

Maybe his advisors need to understand faking an interest in something is not a good look
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/27/june-21-wont-much-return-normal-thought/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1403673&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Edi_New_Sub_Digital&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Edi_New_Sub_Digital20210429&utm_campaign=DM1403673

No proper gigs, no crowded pubs, masks forever, Covid marshalls, weird distanced restaurants, vaxports are back, on and on

Boris said it would all be gone by June 21, and that's why we should stick by the looooooong roadmap. The British public have done their bit, and gone along with it. Superbly, in the main. If the British government now turns around and says "Oh we were lying, life will stay eerie and shit forever", then I will never vote for the Tories again

I think a huge hit for the government will be if foreign summer hols get binned. It isn't no foreign holidays per se, it is that the government keep showing some leg about it, then dampening it down, then bit more leg. To then be told, nope, its Bultins at £3k for the week, people will be hoping mad.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

via
    @YouGov
    , 27 - 28 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 22 Apr

SKS fans please explain

"much better"

lol

Actually Johnson is enforcing the Protocol. He lied about that too. It's hard to keep up up with Johnson's lies. Interesting to note the 5% of people in Northern Ireland that trust the UK government in a recent poll. The Union is in safe hands with him!
    Oh dear, how many Northern Ireland Conservative marginals do you think are at risk?
  • Options
    ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

Broken, sleazy Tories on the slide!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Leon said:

This is all Gove IMO. He needs to be shown the door asap, he's untrustworthy and will betray anyone if he thinks it will help him become PM. Even though he would be the most unpopular PM since Eden and would lose to anyone Labour put up.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

Not a right winger, and not triggered, but you unwittingly confirm Starmer's utter ineptitude. He has staked his career and his party's fortunes on the position that this stuff matters and is REALLY REALLY SERIOUS, and 24 hours later he commits an act of casual wankery which you identify as just a bit of fun, which made you smile.

Which is it?
  • Options
    Leon said:

A lot of people won't have had their second jabs by June 21 (I'm due in July).
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,692

Unbelievably stupid

Who are his advisors if they think a stage managed photo shoot of Starmer holding a roll of wallpaper at John Lewis was a good idea

It is similar to Ed's Edstone in many ways
    It is worse. Starmer's stunt gives the impression that what matters is either that Boris doesn't like John Lewis or that he overspent on wallpaper, and neither matters very much. It's priced in that poshos do this. Harry Enfield's We Saw You Coming and so on. We've all seen Downton Abbey. We know Boris has his breakfast served under a silver cloche. No-one cares.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

Maybe his advisors need to understand faking an interest in something is not a good look
    You have to wonder about his advisors. I mean sending him to Bath and getting into that argument with the nutter from the pub, then trying to go into his pub.

I mean a) what was he doing in the centre of Bath, no Labour votes there and b) his advisors clearly hadn't checked this guy out properly nor managed the situation well. You don't get into debates with those kind of people, you placate them with some non-answer and say people speak to one of my team, at which point they jump in with a clipboard and a load of pointless questions.
  • Options

Leon said:

I think a huge hit for the government will be if foreign summer hols get binned. It isn't no foreign holidays per se, it is that the government keep showing some leg about it, then dampening it down, then bit more leg. To then be told, nope, its Bultins at £3k for the week, people will be hoping mad.
    Yes. This is a potential calamity for the UKG

Boris has given us all a copper-bottomed promise: normal life by June 21, that's the prize in store, if we remain disciplined now. What is described in that Telegraph article is far from normal life. A "one metre rule" in restaurants? WTF?

No live music, no big crowds, everything dead forever

On the other hand, we know Boris hates lockdowns, because he is happy to see "bodies piled high" instead of doing another. So presumably he will fight against this madness

Suddenly that quote actually assists him. Ironic
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,739
    Why is @isam banned? I've looked at his last few posts and can't see anything obvious.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,924

"Closing down SALE"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Surely you just handcuff a man, make sure he is unarmed, and then that's it? Immediately release him, but guard him; don't pin him to the ground for several long minutes, when this method is known to kill people

Am I missing something?
    It's because, in many places in America, the police hate the people they supposedly 'protect and serve'.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814
    Leon said:

Leon said:

via
    @YouGov
    , 27 - 28 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 22 Apr

SKS fans please explain

He's not fucking useless, it's the Left that is fucking useless, eg consumed with insane identity politics when no one else gives a damn. And apparently devoid of any better ideas than the Tories

Starmer is doing his best trying to sell a dud brand. He's a decent, solid politician, saddled with a legacy party that no one likes any more.

His best, indeed only bet, is to wait for the Tories to fuck up so royally he gets in by default. This will eventually happen, Labour WILL win again; but it won't be Starmer that benefits, if it takes two more electoral cycles
    Trouble is Biden swept America with this 'insane identity politics' just last November. There, they do give a damn, it seems.
    This is a false reading, in my opinion, and it is potentially deluding the Left

Biden won because he was facing Trump, a dismal madman. And even then he only beat Trump because of the pandemic, which shagged the US economy; without the pandemic Trump (who still got an enormous 70m votes) would probably have cruised to victory.

If the Dems (or Labour) take away from POTUS 2020 the idea that "identity politics wins elections", then they are making an historic error
    Our equivalent of this delusion is the Corbyogasm of GE2017.

The far-left will hang onto that for years, even decades.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

This is all Gove IMO. He needs to be shown the door asap, he's untrustworthy and will betray anyone if he thinks it will help him become PM. Even though he would be the most unpopular PM since Eden and would lose to anyone Labour put up.
    I find it hard to believe Gove is this stupid. He will never be PM. Tory MPS can see a vote-loser. Gove must know this. He said it himself: I don't have the face for it

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Boris has given us all a copper-bottomed promise: normal life by June 21, that's the prize in store, if we remain disciplined now. What is described in that Telegraph article is far from normal life. A "one metre rule" in restaurants? WTF?

On the other hand, we know Boris hates lockdowns, because he is happy to see "bodies piled high" instead of doing another. So presumably he will fight against this madness

Yes, I think I said that yesterday. He is exactly where I want him: someone who does lock down, but with the most extreme reluctance imaginable.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,473
    edited April 2021

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

It works well enough for Johnson in a hi viz coat or a labcoat, or driving a JCB through some empty boxes.

You are right it is vacuous nonsense, but what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293

"Closing down SALE"
    Sale's just the beginning. If he wins, he's closing down Liverpool, Newcastle, Dundee...
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,248
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It would have been better if Boris had been clear from the start: 'No foreign holidays in 2021'. It should be apparent that the international COVID situation requires continuing restrictions on travel.
  • Options

Leon said:

So freaking what?

If you want to be more careful, then be more careful. The vulnerable will have been vaccinated and then some. End the damn restrictions.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    Stocky said:

Why is @isam banned? I've looked at his last few posts and can't see anything obvious.

It’s a shame. He can be a bit of an arse, and his politics and my politics are pretty opposite, but he’s one of the few decent punters on the site.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

It works well enough for Johnson in a hi viz coat or a labcoat, or driving a JCB through some empty boxes.

You are right it is vacuous nonsense, but what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
    But Boris acting like the KoolAid character bursting through a wall in a JCB is genuinely funny and is taking the piss out of himself as he mumbles how do you drive this..is all an act, but its all in the tradition of British slap stick.

Brittas looking at a roll of wallpaper as a snide dig isn't.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

+1

My politics are very different to his, but he provides a very valuable insight. Its a loss for the community.
  • Options

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

But Boris acting like the KoolAid character bursting through a wall in a JCB is genuinely funny and is taking the piss out of himself as he mumbles how do you drive this..

Brittas looking at a roll of wallpaper isn't as a snide dig isn't.
    Boris is always “taking the piss out of himself”.
    Seems to work very well to be fair on the very credulous.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

But Boris acting like the KoolAid character bursting through a wall in a JCB is genuinely funny and is taking the piss out of himself as he mumbles how do you drive this..

It’s a mistake, because it undermines the seriousness of the situation. Yes, we’re all having fun talking about JL etc. but Starmer is, quite rightly, concerned with the corruption side of things. This sort of thing undermines that.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"So Edwin Poots, darling of the traditionalists, is favourite to be the next DUP leader.

For those who don’t know him, a short introduction to the man, in his own words
    (THREAD)
    On the age of the Earth: “My view on the earth is that it's a young earth. My view is 4000 BC.”"

https://twitter.com/mattuthompson/status/1387674064320401409

Edwin Poots sounds like he should be Governor of the Sind c.1870.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,692
    edited April 2021

felix said:

FPT:

Ben Page (Ipsos MORI):

Boris Johnson’s flat refurb won’t do much damage – polls show voters expect this of politicians
    Until it is proven that something is actually illegal, it may make rather less of a difference than some might expect

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/boris-johnson-flat-refurb-damage-polls-voters-politicians-978506

Least surprising news of the decade for those of us outside the bubble.
    Key is this - from the article:

Partly this reflects the low overall concern about corruption in Britain. While the media obsess about who paid for some curtains, voters do not see personal enrichment of politicians that is almost routine in other countries. In April 2021 some 13 per cent of the British regard political corruption as a key issue – this is well below Poland at 33 per cent and Hungary at 52 per cent – and in fact below both Canada and Germany (both 18 per cent). It is one of the lowest levels of concern anywhere. As a result the scandal so far, such as it is, may have failed to make much impact on voting intention.

Low overall corruption because it is quite rare.. Lots of innuendo and conflating of different things and shouting loudly about pub landlords and Tory donors etc. But politicians in the UK are not involved in procurement. Any minister who tried to wrestle such an 'operational' matter from their senior civil servants would ordinarily be put in their place.
    Remember, a cabinet minister went to jail for getting his wife to take his speeding points. If there was any corruption dont be under any illusion, the police would be knocking doors down.
    Yes, and that is why Boris got flustered at PMQs. Like Huhne driving too fast, the deed itself was trivial. The risk to Boris is that he has inadvertently got himself tied up in a technical accounting offence. He does not know how to get out of it, and he does not really know how he landed in it in the first place. The trust, the charity, the donor, the party – all his lifeboats have leaks. The risk is not that the public turns against Boris: it is that he gets his collar felt by one of the three inquiries into who paid what for whom and how it was declared.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    From NumberCrunchrPolitics:

Our latest Westminster voting intention:

CON 43 (+1)
    LAB 34 (-3)
    GRN 7 (+2)
    LD 5 (-2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 2 (=)

Fieldwork 28th-29th April (changes vs 12th-16th March)
    n=1,001
  • Options

"Closing down SALE"
    Why don't you just be done with it and vote Conservative. You might as well it is your bunch of halfwits, Corbyn, McDonnell, RLB, Burgon, Pidcock, and Len, the list just goes on and on who put Johnson into Downing Street with an 80 seat majority, another two seat advantage after Hartlepool hardly matters.

Onwards and upwards, join in with Blue, BigG. and Thommo ranting on about Starmer's stunt in John Lewis. You and I might not like it, but Blue, BigG and Thommo would be perfectly happy for Johnson to be playing silly beggars on the campaign trail.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

That's how he gets away with so much....if you preach that you are whiter than white, the most honourable and upstanding individual, so virtuous and serious, after such preaching, hypocrisy sticks. Like the Hollywood actors.

Everybody knows Boris is none of those things, nor does he claim to be and its factored in to some extent that he shags around and is liberal with the truth.
  • Options

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

Not really

It works for Boris but not Starmer

If the today's Scots, Welsh, and UK polls are to be believed Boris has invented super teflon and looks as if he may win Hartlepool next week, improve conservatives in Wales, and Nicola's dream of independence disappears under the 'very canny' nature of the Scots

Of course, there may still be some negative reactions to the attacks on Boris but if he does have a good day next Thursday, many of his opponents will need to go back to their drawing board

I do caveat this with wait and see, I could be wrong
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

via
    @YouGov
    , 27 - 28 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 22 Apr

SKS fans please explain

"much better"

lol
    She worked far harder, and had a very strong sense of duty (still does) but her people skills were abominable, which is why she proved to be such a poor negotiator, man-manager and political leader amongst the electorate at large. The Home Office was about her level.

Interestingly, Boris is almost the precise opposite.
  • Options

CON 43 (+1)
    LAB 34 (-3)
    GRN 7 (+2)
    LD 5 (-2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 2 (=)

n=1,001

That's not a very good poll for LAB. SKS fans where are you?! :lol:
  • Options
    On topic.

The runners and riders intro is useful, but not especially insightful. The Slugger O’Toole blog is the go-to spot.

Seems like the DUP are in real danger.
    They are a small (750 members) and exhausted organisation and it’s not obvious any successor can revitalise the party.

There must be a real chance of a stampede to the Alliance or to the TUV if Sinn Fein looks like they might top the polls.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

CON 43 (+1)
    LAB 34 (-3)
    GRN 7 (+2)
    LD 5 (-2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 2 (=)

n=1,001

Stuck in John Lewis buying beige wallpaper, obviously! :smile:
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

PB Tories operate in a permanent state of pearl-clutching outrage while, in the background, Boris shags their wife.
    I've not seen any outrage. Outrage is all the handwringing about Boris's cushions I just can't believe Starmer, and presumably his advisers can't see that all he needs to do is just sit back, or as it's campaign season go out and meet some voters.

I actually think Starmer is growing on me, he certainly is rising up on my down the pub-ometer. He might be a bit earnest talking about some of his human rights work. I imagine I could sit back and relax. If you were down the pub with Boris it would be like being on a night out with Gazza - what next?
  • Options

CON 43 (+1)
    LAB 34 (-3)
    GRN 7 (+2)
    LD 5 (-2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 2 (=)

n=1,001

Looking for posts on twitter to spam onto discussion groups.
  • Options

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

That's how he gets away with so much....if you preach that you are whiter than white, the most honourable and upstanding individual, so virtuous and serious, after such preaching, hypocrisy sticks. Like the Hollywood actors.

Everybody knows Boris is none of those things, nor does he claim to be and its factored in to some extent that he shags around and is liberal with the truth.
    As I said, it works well on the very credulous.
  • Options

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

But Boris acting like the KoolAid character bursting through a wall in a JCB is genuinely funny and is taking the piss out of himself as he mumbles how do you drive this..is all an act, but its all in the tradition of British slap stick.

Genuinely funny in a 1970s ITV sitcom kind of way. Whatever floats your boat.

Personally I think the wallpaper stunt and all of Johnson's stunts look ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Boris is also a very lucky general that the media have decided to go big on JL / flat story just when 1000s if not 10,000s of people are dying every day in India....they switch from faux outrage about some cushions, to a nations healthcare system totally melted down, kind of puts it in perspective, especially as so many of us have now been vaccinated.

I think it hard to explain the sense of relief to get vaccinated.
  • Options

CON 43 (+1)
    LAB 34 (-3)
    GRN 7 (+2)
    LD 5 (-2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 2 (=)

n=1,001

You have to say there are huge questions for the media and journalists to face after their onslaught on Boris see him stretching his lead in polls as upto date as todays

• Options

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

I've not seen any outrage. Outrage is all the handwringing about Boris's cushions I just can't believe Starmer, and presumably his advisers can't see that all he needs to do is just sit back, or as it's campaign season go out and meet some voters.

I actually think Starmer is growing on me, he certainly is rising up on my down the pub-ometer. He might be a bit earnest talking about some of his human rights work. I imagine I could sit back and relax. If you were down the pub with Boris it would be like being on a night out with Gazza - what next?
    If it was a night out with Boris, he wouldn’t be buying his rounds.

I’d be exiting pretty sharpish, but I have a low tolerance for conmen.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

It’s a mistake, because it undermines the seriousness of the situation. Yes, we’re all having fun talking about JL etc. but Starmer is, quite rightly, concerned with the corruption side of things. This sort of thing undermines that.
    I’m sure Sir Kier is genuinely concerned about corruption but the current political game is more about Johnson’s opponents throwing as much mud as they can in the hope some of it sticks. At the moment there is no corruption, just endless allegations which mostly Peter out.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Am I missing something?
    The most shocking video I've seen is the one @williamglenn linked to of a full swat team being deployed to deal with a homeless guy at a bus stop in Albuquerque.

He was woken up by their shouting and told to raise his hands. He told them to f--k off (unwise) and then they wasted him after one further warning, and then the leader said "drop him".
  • Options

CON 43 (+1)
    LAB 34 (-3)
    GRN 7 (+2)
    LD 5 (-2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 2 (=)

n=1,001

But but but .... Curtains!
  • Options

"Closing down SALE"
    Why don't you just be done with it and vote Conservative. You might as well it is your bunch of halfwits, Corbyn, McDonnell, RLB, Burgon, Pidcock, and Len, the list just goes on and on who put Johnson into Downing Street with an 80 seat majority, another two seat advantage after Hartlepool hardly matters.

Onwards and upwards, join in with Blue, BigG. and Thommo ranting on about Starmer's stunt in John Lewis. You and I might not like it, but Blue, BigG and Thommo would be perfectly happy for Johnson to be playing silly beggars on the campaign trail.
    It's the red lot that should be ranting about Starmer's stunt. No one's saying it is unfair or cruel or unduly damaging to Johnson. It isn't, it is just utterly and embarrassingly inept.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Taz said:

tlg86 said:

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

I’m sure Sir Kier is genuinely concerned about corruption but the current political game is more about Johnson’s opponents throwing as much mud as they can in the hope some of it sticks. At the moment there is no corruption, just endless allegations which mostly Peter out.
    Most impartial commentators agree: this is the most whiffy administration since Blair’s. Perhaps worse.
  • Options

Taz said:

If retweets were votes, PM Jezza, would have just spent the past year renationalizing every industry in the country.
    So many on twitter were genuinely amazed at the result in December 2019. There were so many comments about how could this be the case. No one they knew, or on social media, would ever vote Tory.
  • Options

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

Personally I think the wallpaper stunt and all of Johnson's stunts look ridiculous.
    Del boy falling through the open bar hatch is regularly voted as one of the funniest moments in tv comedy....its no Stewart Lee or Mark Thomas earnest comedy about Palestinian refugee camps, but its what the public at large find funny.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I've already decided I won't be voting for the Tories next week. A spoilt ballot for me - both their Covid restriction love and their OTT climate stuff (including the vegan signalling) are yanking my chain.

I suspect they'll do well where it matters, but not in their core areas - the Lib Dems are trying hard here, for example.
  • Options

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

I've said that before about Boris - make sure he buys his round early!!! He would be a complete mooch but I know lots of people who would love a night out Boris style! He is more lager and jägerbombs, and Starmer is more a nice red wine or whisky.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Oh dear...golden child of the arts.

Sexual predator’: actor Noel Clarke accused of groping, harassment and bullying by 20 women

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/apr/29/actor-noel-clarke-accused-of-groping-harassment-and-bullying-by-20-women
  • Options

CON 43 (+1)
    LAB 34 (-3)
    GRN 7 (+2)
    LD 5 (-2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 2 (=)

n=1,001

Stuck in John Lewis buying beige wallpaper, obviously! :smile:
    That’s the problem with the John Lewis stunt. It is modestly funny - on Twitter. That’s it. Twitter.

To everyone else - the vast majority of people who are not on Twitter - it looks facile and pointless. At best a waste of time. Many don’t begin to understand the concept of ‘trolling’.

Starmer’s USP is ‘I’m the serious guy compared to the Tory joker’. He undermines that. What else is there?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    Andy_JS said:

"So Edwin Poots, darling of the traditionalists, is favourite to be the next DUP leader.

(THREAD)
    On the age of the Earth: “My view on the earth is that it's a young earth. My view is 4000 BC.”"

Hmm, that's really young. IIRC the Archbishop of Armagh had it at 4004BC.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

The US really needs to sort out policing.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927

She worked far harder, and had a very strong sense of duty (still does) but her people skills were abominable, which is why she proved to be such a poor negotiator, man-manager and political leader amongst the electorate at large. The Home Office was about her level.

Quite - had Boris become PM in July 2016 and led the country through the Article 40 process to us leaving the EU and then handed over to may for Covid, we'd have probably been in a better place.

However, as you rightly say, she looked desperately uncomfortable on the bigger stage and trying to be someone she clearly wasn't. All that being said, she probably saved the Conservative Party by going when she did.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,601

Leon said:

So freaking what?

If you want to be more careful, then be more careful. The vulnerable will have been vaccinated and then some. End the damn restrictions.
    I would advise anyone who hasn't had their second dose to still be cautious, but there's no longer a public health disaster to be averted by petty rules about masks and distancing.

I intend to wait for my two doses, but I think the government could remove all restrictions today and we'd be fine.

The only two things I want is (a) quarantine for travel from unvaccinated countries, (b) government to protect me from being forced back to the office before I'm double-dosed.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,739

Stocky said:

I didn't realise that.

I hope it doesn't last.
    And @Mysticrose has buggered off and left us. No posts for over two months. Hope she is OK. One always wonders these days.
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is a quite disturbing article about the "Warrior" training of police industry: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/warrior-cop-trainings-industry.html

And if you haven't already read this piece about the CIA spy who became a cop, you must: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/05/07/the-spy-who-came-home
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Night out with Boris would obviously be get us another drink old chap.and I will tell you all about that time when we stole Cammers rugby kit and he had to run home naked past that girls school.

End of the night you have done a lot of buying of drinks, but you have been told many a story. Guess it depends if you think that's a fair deal or not.
  • Options

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

Del boy falling through the open bar hatch is regularly voted as one of the funniest moments in tv comedy....its no Stewart Lee or Mark Thomas earnest comedy about Palestinian refugee camps, but its what the public at large find funny.
    Stewart Lee is the opposite of earnest. That’s his genius. Not keen on his politics but you have to admire the comedic skill. The brilliant timing!
  • Options
    stodge said:

Quite - had Boris become PM in July 2016 and led the country through the Article 40 process to us leaving the EU and then handed over to may for Covid, we'd have probably been in a better place.

However, as you rightly say, she looked desperately uncomfortable on the bigger stage and trying to be someone she clearly wasn't. All that being said, she probably saved the Conservative Party by going when she did.
    Yes. Possibly, but May might have taken several months to decide what to do about Covid and then she'd have never lifted any of the restrictions - ever.

I exaggerate only slightly.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

So many on twitter were genuinely amazed at the result in December 2019. There were so many comments about how could this be the case. No one they knew, or on social media, would ever vote Tory.
    There is a very boring type of contributor who comes on here and drones on about alleged snowflakes on Twitter.

I hope you’re not going to be one of those.
  • Options

ping said:

It was just a bit of fun

Made me smile, anyway.

I've said that before about Boris - make sure he buys his round early!!! He would be a complete mooch but I know lots of people who would love a night out Boris style! He is more lager and jägerbombs, and Starmer is more a nice red wine or whisky.
    Agree about Boris being lager and jägerbombs, but Starmer strikes me as more of a FairTrade LemonAid.
  • Options

Leon said:

Exactly.

We need to give police a lot of leeway in the US. They can get shot, and if they think they're in danger, then they have to act.

But an awful lot of this bodycam footage is of police behaving very badly, when not in any sort of danger. Worst, police unions - instead of taking a hard line against this stuff - circle the waggons and try and protect people that have behaved appallingly.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,727
    Andy_JS said:

(THREAD)

Sir Issac Newton said creation occured in 3998 BCE, while Venerable Bede said 3952 and Archbishop Ussher said 4004.

So Poots is in same ballpark. Just three to thirteen centuries behind!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,510
    Taz said:

Taz said:

On the day after the election I bumped into a colleague in the uni shop. She unprompted, and with no indication of my political leanings, started bemoaning how awful it was etc. I pulled her up and said that while I was no fan of Johnson, there was no way I’d ever vote for a party led by Corbyn. I think she took the point, but what struck me was her assumption that everyone she knew would think it terrible Corbyn had been thrashed. The dangers of echo chambers. That is one of the great benefits of this place. You can actually encounter genuine balance.
  • Options

Leon said:

I've already decided I won't be voting for the Tories next week. A spoilt ballot for me - both their Covid restriction love and their OTT climate stuff (including the vegan signalling) are yanking my chain.

I suspect they'll do well where it matters, but not in their core areas - the Lib Dems are trying hard here, for example.
    I'm not that enthused about next week. However it doesn't really matter as I'm in London. Sadiq is bound to win and LAB will continue to control the GLA. I don't think CON voters in London are going to be that bothered next week.
  • Options
    The reason is Keir is so crap is that he wouldn’t recognise a joke if it fell on him.

Boris on the other hand is just a joke.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited April 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Exactly.

We need to give police a lot of leeway in the US. They can get shot, and if they think they're in danger, then they have to act.

But an awful lot of this bodycam footage is of police behaving very badly, when not in any sort of danger. Worst, police unions - instead of taking a hard line against this stuff - circle the waggons and try and protect people that have behaved appallingly.
    And even on the first point, we have to have a discussion on how to police best in those circumstances. Rapid escalation is not always the best option (see how police departments changed the way they do high speed chases through crowded residential neighbourhoods). There are better ways to do it, and this needs a change of mindset from the top down, and far, far better training.
  • Options
    I told my wife the "my grandfather died in Auschwitz" joke last night.

She was not impressed.
This discussion has been closed.