Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the betting punters now rate the chances of a Boris 2021 exit at 25% – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited April 2021 in General
imageIn the betting punters now rate the chances of a Boris 2021 exit at 25% – politicalbetting.com

Inevitably after the extraordinary manner in which Boris conducted himself at PMQs today there’s been an increase in speculation over when he will actually step aside. The betting on both the Smarkets (above) and Betfair exchanges rate this currently as a 25% chance.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    1st
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    2nd. Like Tories in Hartlepool.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited April 2021
    Well, someone close is out to get him.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Once-spirited contest for "1st" on PB now resembles an election for Pyongyang City Council!
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Once-spirited contest for "1st" on PB now resembles an election for Pyongyang City Council!

What were those rules TSE cited in the last thread? Care to diss Radiohead now?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Infamy. They've all got it infamy.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Are you referring to Dilyn?

Is THAT why the pooch keeps pissing on the carpet just before Boris starts chewing on it?
  • Options
    TimT said:

What were those rules TSE cited in the last thread? Care to diss Radiohead now?
    Think it would be more appropriate (and fun!) to place an order for 100 pineapple-topped pizzas and have them delivered to TSE.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Are you referring to Dilyn?

Is THAT why the pooch keeps pissing on the carpet just before Boris starts chewing on it?
    That would be a turn up I suspect the dog is fed up with all fleas he picks up from the pm.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    I remember when Andrew Cuomo was being lauded for his handling of covid.

Governor Cuomo's aides spent months hiding the true pandemic death toll in nursing homes, according to the New York Times

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1387489687414132740
  • Options

Governor Cuomo's aides spent months hiding the true pandemic death toll in nursing homes, according to the New York Times

Yes. Had several friends gush to me about him. Told them he was an unmitigated asshole and to have zero faith or confidence, just because he was lambasting You-Know-Who.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how the Netherlands manages to have huge levels of new infections on relatively low levels of teasing but minimal deaths ?

Either the Dutch have discovered far better treatments or their data is an honest as Russia's.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Chameleon said:

Evening all, I was wondering if anyone had a high level overview of demand for vaccines by state in the US? I'm getting slightly nervous that the US South and France we could have issues reaching the 75-80% mark.

US states fall into three broad categories:

- Vaccine lovers, where they've reached 50% of adults jabbed at least once, and per day numbers remain consistently high. This is - frankly - the North East, the Midwest, Florida and the West Coast.

- The super sceptics, where only 30-33% of people have had at least one jab, and the numbers getting vaccinated fall every day. This is the Deep South.

- Everywhere else.

I think it's highly likely that Alabama and Mississippi will top out at less than 40% vaccinated.

It's also quite possible that most EU countries will have surpassed those states by the end of next week. (Finland, for example, has surpassed them even without using Sputnik-V.)
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    25% over this? As was the case during the Prorogation Crisis, Phonegate, the Cummings Affair Mark 1, the Dark Covid Winter, and now Wallpapergate, those getting caught up in a media feeding-frenzy and blinding themselves to the big picture fundamentals in favour of a short-termist perspective have not done terribly well.
  • Options
    STAR: Proper fancy wallpaper for EVERY Prime Minister #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1387512614029336579
  • Options
    Our postal votes were sent in days ago and I thought it was conservative pensioners like us who return their votes quickly

However, as far as I am concerned if Boris goes then the party has Rishi, Truss, and Raab even Hunt so not a bad line up

And the possibility of a third woman leader
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,202

rottenborough was this threads winner. The comments are zero-indexed, so Mike's comment is 0th, not 1st.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Doubt Boris is going anywhere.
    But it’s hard to imagine him leading the party into the next election.

That’s not a prediction, I just struggle to imagine it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

Evening all, I was wondering if anyone had a high level overview of demand for vaccines by state in the US? I'm getting slightly nervous that the US South and France we could have issues reaching the 75-80% mark.

- Vaccine lovers, where they've reached 50% of adults jabbed at least once, and per day numbers remain consistently high. This is - frankly - the North East, the Midwest, Florida and the West Coast.

- The super sceptics, where only 30-33% of people have had at least one jab, and the numbers getting vaccinated fall every day. This is the Deep South.

- Everywhere else.

I think it's highly likely that Alabama and Mississippi will top out at less than 40% vaccinated.

It's also quite possible that most EU countries will have surpassed those states by the end of next week. (Finland, for example, has surpassed them even without using Sputnik-V.)
    I am reasonably optimistic about the 'everywhere else' category getting to relatively high levels of uptake, albeit more slowly than the enthusiasts. I fear for Trumpland.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

- Everywhere else.

But this is the thing I keep coming back to.

Are there any GOP politicians who are anti-vax advocates ?

Even Trump was vaccinated so it cannot be emulation of him.

So what happens if open anti-vaxxers try to primary GOP politicians in Alabama etc ?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

Leon said:

It really is interesting how behaviour can be modified by outside (ok inside) influences. Not unlike how drugs can affect consciousness. Always makes me think.

A fascinating area. I recommend a late, flawed, but intriguing Tom Knox novel (I believe the author was once a congregant at these here pews) - the Deceit. It investigates the idea that religion is born of a cerebral parasite

Absurd, but.... those Egyptians did love them some cats

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deceit-Tom-Knox/dp/000745919X
    "The Phil Collins Secret" and "The Spice Twins" were infinitely better

• Options
    MAIL: Boris Painted Into A Corner

#TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1387515900992045059
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

Our postal votes were sent in days ago and I thought it was conservative pensioners like us who return their votes quickly

However, as far as I am concerned if Boris goes then the party has Rishi, Truss, and Raab even Hunt so not a bad line up

Do you think the loyalty of those who voted for Boris Johnson in December 2019 will transfer so readily to another Conservative Prime Minister?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,426
    This seems as good a forum as any to
    share Jeffrey Lewis reworking a Ramones song on the subject of Covid vaccinations :
    https://youtu.be/BP7hpYr93mc
  • Options
    Has anyone seen this wallpaper ?

And does anyone in the normal world actually use wallpaper still ?

Wasn't it a very 1970s thing ?

Or is it fashionable again among the nouveau chav ?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,282
    edited April 2021

Doubt Boris is going anywhere.
    But it’s hard to imagine him leading the party into the next election.

That’s not a prediction, I just struggle to imagine it.

I have my doubts that he will but equally am not sure he will be defenestrated by the party

But to be fair who knows
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,156
    stodge said:

Do you think the loyalty of those who voted for Boris Johnson in December 2019 will transfer so readily to another Conservative Prime Minister?
    Boris reaches parts other Tories cannot reach. However, I expect any new leader will gain a very big honeymoon bounce, but over time the equilibrium will return.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Leon said:

It really is interesting how behaviour can be modified by outside (ok inside) influences. Not unlike how drugs can affect consciousness. Always makes me think.

A fascinating area. I recommend a late, flawed, but intriguing Tom Knox novel (I believe the author was once a congregant at these here pews) - the Deceit. It investigates the idea that religion is born of a cerebral parasite

Egypt, religion, parasites . . . is this a Tom Knox novel, or Stargate?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Yes. Had several friends gush to me about him. Told them he was an unmitigated asshole and to have zero faith or confidence, just because he was lambasting You-Know-Who.
    Good instincts there you had
  • Options
    stodge said:

I am not going to blindly say yes, but the conservatives have a habit of changing and winning
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

I've waited for indian takeout on a couch like that before.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,202

As a child in the late 80s/early 90s there were some abortive attempts to redecorate our Victorian South London semi-detached.

One of the interminable jobs was stripping the wallpaper from the walls, while trying not to take too much of the plaster away. We had some sort of steaming machine.

Anyway, in the hallway, there were six layers of wallpaper, and we wondered how far back to the dawn of time (or 1884, when the house had been built) the earliest layer dated to.

At least several layers must have been laid down prior to the 70s.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,085
    Pulpstar said:
    How did Rishi manage to find a woman - apparently - six inches shorter than he?

He is about 4 foot seven, and could comfortably run under a weasel. She must be MICROSCOPIC
  • Options
    I can't see Boris going this year. Not happening.

Very interesting and well-reasoned article in the Spectator, "How London will help Scotland get independence" - well worth a read, it makes sense to me: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-london-will-help-scotland-get-independence
  • Options

Leon said:

Egypt, religion, parasites . . . is this a Tom Knox novel, or Stargate?
    I abhor Tom Knox's work, don't get me wrong. I only have every one of his novels so I can adduce evidence of his witless nastiness.

However, that said, I have just looked into The Deceit for the first time in nearly ten years, and I am forced to admit it has a stonking opening line

"The taxi stopped in the City of the Dead."

Get IN.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

25% over this? As was the case during the Prorogation Crisis, Phonegate, the Cummings Affair Mark 1, the Dark Covid Winter, and now Wallpapergate, those getting caught up in a media feeding-frenzy and blinding themselves to the big picture fundamentals in favour of a short-termist perspective have not done terribly well.

I think you're right for now. I've decided to run my 'still PM in July 2022' bet. I expect him to ride this. And winning Hartlepool will surely help. But here's the better news - the queasily credible notion of Boris Johnson sat astride this beloved Blighty of ours for a decade or more has somewhat (in my view) receded.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    This doesn’t surprise me, Lisa Forbes surrounded herself with a lot of unsavoury sorts from the left of the party during the 2019 by-election campaign. There was certainly a whiff of dodginess regarding her win and the GTVO campaign in some of the Pakistani Muslim parts of the constituency.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678

Very interesting and well-reasoned article in the Spectator, "How London will help Scotland get independence" - well worth a read, it makes sense to me: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-london-will-help-scotland-get-independence

Also interesting because it's not by one of the usual ilk - Lesley Riddoch is a looong way from the sort of journalist who wrote that infamous article commissioned by a certain Johnson B. when editor.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

And this is also worth a look - about the other tendency (HYUFD et aliis) in the Tories and how beneficial this would be to one side in the argument.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/scotland-cannot-be-held-in-the-union-against-its-will

Very interesting that the Speccy is publishing such pieces. Mr Gove? But I remember what happened when similar arguments were tried in Labour - Wendy Alexander's 'Bring it on' strategy of an early indyref got her metaphorically defenestrated.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,282
    edited April 2021
    kinabalu said:

I think you're right for now. I've decided to run my 'still PM in July 2022' bet. I expect him to ride this. And winning Hartlepool will surely help. But here's the better news - the queasily credible notion of Boris Johnson sat astride this beloved Blighty of ours for a decade or more has somewhat (in my view) receded.
    I think you are safe there

I do not believe Boris has the attention nor the desire to experience the loss of potential millions of pounds he can earn once out of office

Indeed, I am not sure he will lead into 2024
  • Options

That article is not just bollocks, it's bollocks in the most fascinating way. It reveals multiple neuroses in the writer, some of them conflicting

She wants Scotland to be indy but she actively wants London opinion to deliver this? She needs Sturgeon to be successful but she rejects her for timidity? And she thinks the English will all move to Glasgow to live in their social democratic paradise.

Oh.,... K......
  • Options
    The question remains in this saga, is who on the inside is out to get Boris and why now.
  • Options
    Leon said:

That article is not just bollocks, it's bollocks in the most fascinating way. It reveals multiple neuroses in the writer, some of them conflicting

She wants Scotland to be indy but she actively wants London opinion to deliver this? She needs Sturgeon to be successful but she rejects her for timidity? And she thinks the English will all move to Glasgow to live in their social democratic paradise.

Oh.,... K......
    You'd ne surprised how many do. Not just RP of this parish.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

And this is also worth a look - about the other tendency (HYUFD et aliis) in the Tories and how beneficial this would be to one side in the argument.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/scotland-cannot-be-held-in-the-union-against-its-will

Very interesting that the Speccy is publishing such pieces. Mr Gove? But I remember what happened when similar arguments were tried in Labour - Wendy Alexander's 'Bring it on' strategy of an early indyref got her metaphorically defenestrated.
    It's Fraser Nelson, the editor. This is his THANG

Boris will refuse a vote, and that will remain Tory policy until 2024. Don't get over-excited
  • Options
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

- Everywhere else.

I am reasonably optimistic about the 'everywhere else' category getting to relatively high levels of uptake, albeit more slowly than the enthusiasts. I fear for Trumpland.
    Alabama.

- has received close to 4 million vaccines from the Federal Government, but has put less than 2.5 million in the arms of its citizens

- Is averaging about 12-13,000 jabs a day, down 30% from last week, and down 60% from the levels of a month ago.

First jabs are now under 3,000 per day.

Currently just 30% of Alabaman adults have had at least one shot of the vaccine.

But at 3,000 a day (and dropping), that number is going to end up stalling at 35-36%.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Perhaps elements on the right realising as I argued in my recent header that its best for us if we get this resolved one way or another, sooner rather than later.

HYUFD may scream into the wind that Boris will deny a referendum, but in this country we respect and love democratic conditions - and if its going to happen then better it happens now under our watch than handing the power to change the constitution to a Starmer.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Boris will refuse a vote, and that will remain Tory policy until 2024. Don't get over-excited
    I wouldn't be surprised. Even so, it's not just Mr Nelson. The more thinking peons are getting unsettled in ToryWorld about the wisdom of a HYUFD strategy - I've pointed out at least one other example recently.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......
    No, they don't. Your weather is too shit.

RP is certifiably mad

And I speak as a proud Briton who adores the Hebrides and the Borders, some of the most stunning scenery on earth. And Glasgow and Edinburgh, at their best, are a couple of truly handsome cities, magnificent adornments to the nation. Glasgow in particular is overlooked. Its Victoriana is sublime

But... live there? In winter? Fuck off. London is bad enough, and it is a world city
  • Options

Does anyone know how the Netherlands manages to have huge levels of new infections on relatively low levels of teasing but minimal deaths ?

Either the Dutch have discovered far better treatments or their data is an honest as Russia's.

Or (3) it's ripping through younger populations, but the oldies have either had Pfizer shots or are holed up and not going out.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

- Everywhere else.

So what happens if open anti-vaxxers try to primary GOP politicians in Alabama etc ?
    QAnon claims that Trump never actually took the vaccine.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Yes, Mrs Foxy got me to do some decorating in lockdown with trendy wallpaper on a feature wall. It works well that way but would be a bit much on all walls.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

And I speak as a proud Briton who adores the Hebrides and the Borders, some of the most stunning scenery on earth. And Glasgow and Edinburgh, at their best, are a couple of truly handsome cities, magnificent adornments to the nation. Glasgow in particular is overlooked. Its Victoriana is sublime

But... live there? In winter? Fuck off. London is bad enough, and it is a world city
    Now, now, it's not as if I live in Shetland is it?!

I think we move in different circles - but then I meet the ones who move up here.

On a serious note, it's summer in London (and the SE more generally, but London especially with the heat off the concrete) that is the absolute killer for me. And I do like to have enough water to have a bath, water the garden, etc. without worrying all year round. Especially in 10-20 years time.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

I wouldn't be surprised. Even so, it's not just Mr Nelson. The more thinking peons are getting unsettled in ToryWorld about the wisdom of a HYUFD strategy - I've pointed out at least one other example recently.
    Honest question: do you, as a Nat (an entirely respectable opinion, of course) really WANT a referendum now?

It seems to me to be eminently lose-able. A pandemic, a huge deficit, the EU looking much less attractive, the oil gone. You'd be led by Sturgeon, who wanes daily, and with Salmond lurking like some mad, drunken uncle who won't be thrown out of the wedding.

And that's it

This seems to me to be highly sub-optimal timing for a Sindy-vote. But maybe you think it is your last best chance?

If you lose again that's it for 30 years and London will (quite rightly) tell you to fuck off and start a civil war if you truly want to go

So, as an honest Nat (which you are, I feel): do you actually want a 2nd vote now?

To my mind Sturgeon's bet is best, wait another 5-10 years, chip away at Britishness, wait for a more opportune economic moment....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Carnyx said:

On a day when yet another poll shows a lead for No and even a plurality of Green voters opposing independence totally outdated article

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Scotland-Survey-Lord-Ashcroft-Polls-April-2021.xlsx
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Honest question: do you, as a Nat (an entirely respectable opinion, of course) really WANT a referendum now?

It seems to me to be eminently lose-able. A pandemic, a huge deficit, the EU looking much less attractive, the oil gone. You'd be led by Sturgeon, who wanes daily, and with Salmond lurking like some mad, drunken uncle who won't be thrown out of the wedding.

And that's it

This seems to me to be highly sub-optimal timing for a Sindy-vote. But maybe you think it is your last best chance?

If you lose again that's it for 30 years and London will (quite rightly) tell you to fuck off and start a civil war if you truly want to go

So, as an honest Nat (which you are, I feel): do you actually want a 2nd vote now?

To my mind Sturgeon's bet is best, wait another 5-10 years, chip away at Britishness, wait for a more opportune economic moment....
    There are a number of assumptions and omissions there - not least Mr Johnson, renewables, and so on, and what happens next week (not just in Scotland). Wait and see, as my granny used to say when I asked what was for pudding.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

I think we move in different circles - but then I meet the ones who move up here.

On a serious note, it's summer in London (and the SE more generally, but London especially with the heat off the concrete) that is the absolute killer for me. And I do like to have enough water to have a bath, water the garden, etc. without worrying all year round. Especially in 10-20 years time.
    You chose a bad day to worry about the water in the capital. It has been torrential here all day

In 100 years Scotland may be like the Loire now (or like Labrador, if the Gulf Stream fails) but until then the SE of England has the nicest climate in the UK. Which is one main reason why most people try to live in the SE, if they come to Britain.

And many, many problems flow therefrom....
  • Options

MAIL: Boris Painted Into A Corner

#TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1387515900992045059

Shouldn't that be "papered into a corner"?
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Carnyx said:

Perhaps elements on the right realising as I argued in my recent header that its best for us if we get this resolved one way or another, sooner rather than later.

HYUFD may scream into the wind that Boris will deny a referendum, but in this country we respect and love democratic conditions - and if its going to happen then better it happens now under our watch than handing the power to change the constitution to a Starmer.
    Utter rubbish, Boris will correctly tell the Nationalists to sod off and refuse a revote, anything else would look absurdly weak and also potentially destroy his premiership.

If Starmer gets in in 2024 and allows indyref2 that is up to him, I have never been opposed to PR anyway and neither have I been opposed to devomax, an English parliament or regional assemblies
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

From recent media briefing, including 5 live from Aberdeen, even some SNP voters are not seeking indyref2 but are voting SNP as they think they are doing well

Also it has come to light that the independence supporting greens are in no hurry, as they want HMG to pay the billions to decommission the oil fields and not Scotland as an independent country

And finally there does seem to be a move away from independence in the polling
  • Options

The sheer naivety of that article is astonishing, the idea that Scots could care less what London thinks, indeed if London tells them to go one way most Scots would deliberately go the other!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

You chose a bad day to worry about the water in the capital. It has been torrential here all day

In 100 years Scotland may be like the Loire now (or like Labrador, if the Gulf Stream fails) but until then the SE of England has the nicest climate in the UK. Which is one main reason why most people try to live in the SE, if they come to Britain.

I'd agree that is an under considered advantage that the south east enjoys.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

Some logical inconsistencies, I think, too. Scottish independence will help progressives in (very conservative) England because lots of EU-hugging lefties will leave for Scotland?

Explain to me how that works ...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

And that's it

There are a number of assumptions and omissions there - not least Mr Johnson, renewables, and so on, and what happens next week (not just in Scotland). Wait and see, as my granny used to say when I asked what was for pudding.
    Oh FFS. Just answer.

I asked you an honest question. It deserves a candid reply

I am a unionist. I do not want you to go. I hope and believe Boris will refuse a vote, for that reason. Don't even risk it. He's entirely justified in doing so ("a generation" etc)

However I can see arguments both ways, putting aside my unionist goggles. Let the SNP have their vote now, it probably falls, and that is it, and the SNP split terribly....

OR it could work out this way: the SNP seizes the chaos of Covid and Scotland rallies to an orgasmic partition, freeing itself of England, with the vaccine-jabbing-dominatrix at the helm? - I can see that panning out, too. This really MIGHT be your last best chance, before we drift too far from the EU and there is no way back for Scotland

What is your actual opinion? No waffle, please
  • Options
    Re: wallpaper, personally always associate the stuff with visits when I was a boy in the 1960s to elderly relatives in old houses in small towns. They all had wallpaper of various degrees of (to my eyes) hideousness.

Realize that wallpaper is still around, and that Martha Stewart types like to employ it with artistic effect about the premises. But do NOT run in such circles.

My impression is that wallpaper is a bigger deal in UK than US? How about rest of the world?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

I have come round to supporting Scottish independence and Irish unification. England should be left to continue building borders and restrictions to keep the rest of the world out.

The UK is dead, but like a super-tanker, its momentum will keep it ticking along for a while yet.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    Foxy said:

Yes, Mrs Foxy got me to do some decorating in lockdown with trendy wallpaper on a feature wall. It works well that way but would be a bit much on all walls.
    I'm sure it's lovely and Mrs Foxy has exquisite taste but feature walls are a bit East of the A1.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,106
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

Some logical inconsistencies, I think, too. Scottish independence will help progressives in (very conservative) England because lots of EU-hugging lefties will leave for Scotland?

Where RP goes....

"Scotland - it's better than Rochdale!" (Although since arriving he does seemed to have supped deeply from the cup of KoolAidIrnBru....)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

I'm sure it's lovely and Mrs Foxy has exquisite taste but feature walls are a bit East of the A1.
    Man, you Brits are mad-dog vicious when it comes to wallpaper!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

Lesley Riddoch often writes for the Nat Onal, which says everything necessary about her attachment to reality.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

I have come round to supporting Scottish independence and Irish unification. England should be left to continue building borders and restrictions to keep the rest of the world out.

The UK is dead, but like a super-tanker, its momentum will keep it ticking along for a while yet.
    'I have come round to supporting Scottish independence and Irish unification.'

No coming round' for you, you have always been as anti UK as Gerry Adams and as pro Scottish independence as Salmond and it is absurd for you to pretend otherwise!!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

I know you think Hartlepool's close to nailed on, but if the Tories can take seats from the Opposition while the PM is being buried under a daily mountain of ordure, however confected, then I'd be tempted to just relax and give up on following British politics until 2029. Because Boris will truly be invincible.
  • Options

TimT said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

Where RP goes....

"Scotland - it's better than Rochdale!" (Although since arriving he does seemed to have supped deeply from the cup of KoolAidIrnBru....)
    Have got a few bottles of "Crabbie's Spiced Orange Alcoholic Ginger Beer" in the back of my fridge.

Rochdale should give it try - NOT. Unless he likes mixing his lager beer with orange Kool Aid.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

Yeah, the super-tanker that has delivered Scotland vaccines from the greatest plague we have ever seen. And folks crossing over the border to NI for the jab.

Because the EU Titanic did such a shit job. They are welcome to run off to its malevolent embrace if they wish. But as to who is unshackling themselves from a corpse....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

- Everywhere else.

QAnon claims that Trump never actually took the vaccine.
    Is that still going ?

I would have thought the complete failure of all of their predictions might have led its followers to switch to something more rational such as the lizard people.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

No coming round' for you, you have always been as anti UK as Gerry Adams and as pro Scottish independence as Salmond and it is absurd for you to pretend otherwise!!
    I suspect at least one of your assertions might cause grave offence.
  • Options

TimT said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

Where RP goes....

Have got a few bottles of "Crabbie's Spiced Orange Alcoholic Ginger Beer" in the back of my fridge.

Rochdale should give it try - NOT. Unless he likes mixing his lager beer with orange Kool Aid.
    Does sound like it should be reserved for that Final Jonestown Checkout....
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I know you think Hartlepool's close to nailed on, but if the Tories can take seats from the Opposition while the PM is being buried under a daily mountain of ordure, however confected, then I'd be tempted to just relax and give up on following British politics until 2029. Because Boris will truly be invincible.
    Lord Mountordure - what a great name for a life peer! Almost as good as Lord Dingleberry.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The question remains in this saga, is who on the inside is out to get Boris and why now.

Its Boris.

He always wants to be centre of attention.
  • Options

TimT said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

Where RP goes....

And I missed the bit where the only way to 'democratize' the Mother of All Parliaments is to overturn the democratically expressed will of the electorate by reversing Brexit.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    "Generals call for military rule to halt France ‘disintegrating with Islamists’" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/macron-dismisses-former-generals-warning-of-civil-war-in-france-qlzk9xs29
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

Yeah, the super-tanker that has delivered Scotland vaccines from the greatest plague we have ever seen. And folks crossing over the border to NI for the jab.

Because the EU Titanic did such a shit job. They are welcome to run off to its malevolent embrace if they wish. But as to who is unshackling themselves from a corpse....
    With supporters like you, the Nasty Party has little to worry about
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 776
    What proportion of adults do people think the UK will end up vaccinating? We're close to 65% now on first doses, yet there's still large parts of the adult population with no access (myself included). Pretty certain well be over 80%, but it wouldn't surprise me if we manage 90% in the end.

It seems strange to look at the US where there is an excess of supply over demand at lower levels of first doses completed.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Generals call for military rule to halt France ‘disintegrating with Islamists’" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/macron-dismisses-former-generals-warning-of-civil-war-in-france-qlzk9xs29

1958 deja vu?
  • Options
    Ratters said:

What proportion of adults do people think the UK will end up vaccinating? We're close to 65% now on first doses, yet there's still large parts of the adult population with no access (myself included). Pretty certain well be over 80%, but it wouldn't surprise me if we manage 90% in the end.

It seems strange to look at the US where there is an excess of supply over demand at lower levels of first doses completed.

My guess is in the 85% neighbourhood.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Utter rubbish, Boris will correctly tell the Nationalists to sod off and refuse a revote, anything else would look absurdly weak and also potentially destroy his premiership.

If Starmer gets in in 2024 and allows indyref2 that is up to him, I have never been opposed to PR anyway and neither have I been opposed to devomax, an English parliament or regional assemblies
    Let's assume Johnson doesn't make it much past Cummings' Committee appearance on 26th May, a tall order I know, but not beyond possibility as we speak. Who gets the gig?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

No offence was taken. If I recall correctly, HYFUD normally advocates regiments of tanks and nukes to silence those who disagree with him so being compared to Gerry Adams is a light rap on the knuckles in comparison.

No doubt I can expect nukes painted in Union Flags to rain down on the Emerald Isle
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

I'd agree that is an under considered advantage that the south east enjoys.
    It’s a massive advantage, huge. As Leon says it’s been raining today (thank god, the rain is desperately needed), but the climate here is vastly superior to northern Britain.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Andy_JS said:

Retired generals. Average age probably 85. Neo-fascists. In a right-wing rag.
    A non-story.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh.,... K......

RP is certifiably mad

No offence was taken. If I recall correctly, HYFUD normally advocates regiments of tanks and nukes to silence those who disagree with him so being compared to Gerry Adams is a light rap on the knuckles in comparison.

No doubt I can expect nukes painted in Union Flags to rain down on the Emerald Isle
    Indeed.
  • Options

Re: wallpaper, personally always associate the stuff with visits when I was a boy in the 1960s to elderly relatives in old houses in small towns. They all had wallpaper of various degrees of (to my eyes) hideousness.

Realize that wallpaper is still around, and that Martha Stewart types like to employ it with artistic effect about the premises. But do NOT run in such circles.

My impression is that wallpaper is a bigger deal in UK than US? How about rest of the world?

It was big in the 1970s - wallpapering disasters often featured on sitcoms.

But I don't think I've seen a house with it this millennium.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

- Everywhere else.

Alabama.

- has received close to 4 million vaccines from the Federal Government, but has put less than 2.5 million in the arms of its citizens

- Is averaging about 12-13,000 jabs a day, down 30% from last week, and down 60% from the levels of a month ago.

First jabs are now under 3,000 per day.

Currently just 30% of Alabaman adults have had at least one shot of the vaccine.

But at 3,000 a day (and dropping), that number is going to end up stalling at 35-36%.
    There is an interesting question here - and one I do not for a minute pretend to know the answer to.

At what point does the anti-vaxxer propaganda become the equivalent of shouting fire in a theatre?

We all understand the concept of the very limited examples of limitations on freedom of speech - incitement to violence and 'shouting fire in a crowded theatre' being the two most obvious examples. At what point - if ever - can we reasonably decide that the lies being perpetuated by the anti-vaxxers is so dangerous it counts as endangerment and that if people die as a consequence then those spreading the lies should be prosecuted?

I don't know the answer to this and perhaps the answer for me is never. But I think it is a debate at least worth having as some powerful figures continue to undermine the vaccination campaigns around the world.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 776
    Regarding Boris, I don't think this story will cut through by itself but the narrative of sleaze will be hard to erase. It wouldn't surprise me if there is more to come over the next few years, and each time will compound the existing perception.

For the moment, everyone is too busy enjoying their new found freedoms to care about who paid for whose wallpaper.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Let's assume Johnson doesn't make it much past Cummings' Committee appearance on 26th May, a tall order I know, but not beyond possibility as we speak. Who gets the gig?
    Rishi or Truss
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Ratters said:

Probably between 90% and 95%. Once it becomes clear that overseas travel will mandate vaccine status a lot of the laggards from ethnic minorities will suddenly overcome their objections. I think the UK will end up closest to 100% of any country where it isn't made legally mandatory.

I also think we need a few more big pushes from the state, NHS and black, Muslim and other minority celebrities to get vaccine take up even higher. Prominent footballers like Marcus Rashford and Mo Salah taking the vaccine live on TV would be really helpful IMO.
This discussion has been closed.