Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Football fans appear markedly more enthusiastic about Boris and Keir than the public at large – poli

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Boris has now denied the ‘bodies’ remark, flatly. If there is proof that he DID say it - and it would have to be convincing video or audio - then he’s surely finished as PM

Why?

It would not be the first time he has lied on camera
    A total lie which is then absolutely proved to be a lie, in this context, would be a resigning matter. It’s so clear. On the one hand you’ve got the PM saying ‘this remark never passed my lips’ and on the other hand, oops, here is a video of him saying it? About thousands of dead Britons?!

However he’s probably confident that no one recorded it, so it’s just “he said she said”, and he will survive
    Why would he need to resign? None of them feel the need to resign. Like all great political endings he will be resigned as Thatcher was.
    It will be a 70:30 fudge.

Those who think he said it will have proof he said it; those who think he didn't (lookin' at you here, Phil) will spend hours and hours on PB saying he didn't because bollocks.
    I have no idea whether he did or did not say it. He's said he didn't and without proof to the contrary that seems fair enough.

But even if it had been said, in the way described, I would think it understandable. People get exasperated at times and absolutely protecting civil liberties and avoiding lockdown if at all possible is important.

My criticism is that they're lifting lockdown too late, not started it too early. Stripping civil liberties should be a last resort not a first one. And if that means more people die due to a pandemic, but the NHS isn't at risk of collapse, then so be it.

Far, far too many people act as if deaths alone are the only metric and our civil liberties are immaterial. Do you disagree with that @TOPPING ?
    I think my many, many posts on the subject of that last would be ample indication of what I think.

I think it's possible to have two concurrent approaches.

1. Deal with the pandemic; and
    2. Ensure you don't rub in the dirt the noses of the families of those who have died with a throwaway glib remark.

As you are keen on whatabouts. What about if some squaddie had been zapped by the Taliban in Afghan and Boris was overheard to say so what it's only one soldier's death vs the overall campaign?
    If he said on the media something so glib that would be rubbing it in people's nose. Saying it in your private office with no cameras, I expect every PM gets stressed and frustrated sometimes. People used to talk about Nokia's thrown about under a prior PM.

I doubt he said it but if he did it's embarrassing but I don't care that someone gets exasperated.

The fact is he did do another lockdown anyway. That he didn't want to was surely already known by everyone and it is right he shouldn't want to too.
    So in private he would have dismissed the death of a British soldier and when he stood up in the HoC saying how awful it was that'd be fine by you.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,000

Pulpstar said:

Re vaccine numbers...

Believe both Scotland and Wales are reporting for two days in one so numbers a little misleadingly high.

?? Wales is

26-04-2021 8,790 2,485
    25-04-2021 10,479 16,636
    24-04-2021 15,833 16,876
    23-04-2021 14,818 17,882
    Was just posting what that Hugo guy, who seems to be vaccination numbers supremo said.
    He's good but he's wrong on this.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Sounds like the PM will make a late declaration to Electoral Commission. He can charm his way out of culpability on things that would skewer lesser politicians but it’d be remarkable if he is forced to admit he hid a £58k donation in breach of the rules without any consequence.
    https://twitter.com/theobertram/status/1386666166299545600

Scott n paste strikes again !
    I had actually though the text was his own referring to the content of the tweet. This lack of embedding isn't ideal.
    It is a massive improvement. Using this forum on an iPad or phone has suddenly become easy and quick, without the crashes and lags and perpetual reloading we used to get. When you refresh the page it actually stays on the post you were reading, rather than jumping all over the place as the Twitter pictures loaded like it used to.

And it has encouraged those few posters who used regularly to spam endless tweets, often from obscure nobodies that we really didn’t need to see, to put a bit more thought into their contributions and actually type some words, rather than simply clicking on cut and paste.
    Not denying it makes browsing easier, just saying it isn't ideal as it now involves a lot of clicking/tapping.
    That decision is up to the reader. If it’s worth seeing, it is worth a click (which is a lot less hassle than the problems the old approach used to create). If it isn’t worth seeing you are better off not seeing it.
    A bit of a quantum element to that. How do I know it is worth seeing without clicking on it?
    People can write something about what's in the link rather than just copying and pasting.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

AlistairM said:

A few hours ago I was bemoaning the fact I was 2 months too young to get my Covid jab booked in as they had only opened up to 44yo. I had been checking the booking system a few times per day over the last week in anticipation of it opening up to 40+.

I decided to have another check at lunch today. I really wasn't expecting anything and it let me book my appointment for tomorrow! So the system seems to be open at least for 43yo now. I know someone else who is 41 and it wasn't working for her. They are slowly releasing 1 year at a time with the announcements following well after the system actually unlocking.

If you are 43, then give it a go!

I believe it is those 44 before July.
    I wish it would allow me to book my second appointment. Every time I try the centre I've been directed to it says there are no appointments available, presumably because they are waiting for those Pfizer doses.

Still, glad younger cohorts are starting to get vaccinated.
    They are getting pfizer in Scotland by looks of it, I have had call to go this Sunday 2nd May.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    AlistairM said:

dixiedean said:

AlistairM said:

A few hours ago I was bemoaning the fact I was 2 months too young to get my Covid jab booked in as they had only opened up to 44yo. I had been checking the booking system a few times per day over the last week in anticipation of it opening up to 40+.

I decided to have another check at lunch today. I really wasn't expecting anything and it let me book my appointment for tomorrow! So the system seems to be open at least for 43yo now. I know someone else who is 41 and it wasn't working for her. They are slowly releasing 1 year at a time with the announcements following well after the system actually unlocking.

I believe it is those 44 before July.
    I'm not 44 until the end of August and it wasn't working this morning for me. There has been another update over lunch to enable 43+. I think it was actually unlocked for 44+ sometime last week.
    One thing you will find is that it may offer you bookings, if you fill in your details and click through, even if you are younger than the banner advertised age at the top. I got my appointment a few days earlier than others of my age by luck, trying the site for a slot when it was still advertising only 60+
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Sounds like the PM will make a late declaration to Electoral Commission. He can charm his way out of culpability on things that would skewer lesser politicians but it’d be remarkable if he is forced to admit he hid a £58k donation in breach of the rules without any consequence.

I had actually though the text was his own referring to the content of the tweet. This lack of embedding isn't ideal.
    It is a massive improvement. Using this forum on an iPad or phone has suddenly become easy and quick, without the crashes and lags and perpetual reloading we used to get. When you refresh the page it actually stays on the post you were reading, rather than jumping all over the place as the Twitter pictures loaded like it used to.

And it has encouraged those few posters who used regularly to spam endless tweets, often from obscure nobodies that we really didn’t need to see, to put a bit more thought into their contributions and actually type some words, rather than simply clicking on cut and paste.
    Not denying it makes browsing easier, just saying it isn't ideal as it now involves a lot of clicking/tapping.
    That decision is up to the reader. If it’s worth seeing, it is worth a click (which is a lot less hassle than the problems the old approach used to create). If it isn’t worth seeing you are better off not seeing it.
    A bit of a quantum element to that. How do I know it is worth seeing without clicking on it?
    People can write something about what's in the link rather than just copying and pasting.
    This brings me back to my original point, that I had thought the text that was posted was an opinion about the content of the tweet, rather than the tweet itself.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    dixiedean said:

"John Lewis furniture nightmare", as well as being first on the outermost stage at Reading, is politically far worse.
    Millions of Tory voters think they've achieved when they can afford John Lewis.
    The PM thinks it is horrendously oiky.

I remember seeing a documentary about Thatcher and it had an archive clip of where she visited the home of one of the first people to buy their council house. I vaguely recall that Thatcher seemed genuinely interested in the home improvements they'd made and had planned.

Being down on people's aspirations is not a good look.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

On the contrary, it's wonderful and doesn't pollute every thread with twatter spam from nobodies with blue ticks.
    Agreed, the site is infinitely better without the embedding, both from a functionality standpoint (it now actually works) and a content one. No longer do we have to hear from Dave Keating every two minutes.
    I think that's because he finally stopped posting dodgy graphs and statistics, rather than anything PB has done.
    Most tweets on this site were garbage – his being a prime example – that served only to clutter the site. It's easy enough to copy a tweet if it's really worth doing. PB is far, far better without daft tweets everywhere.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Boris has now denied the ‘bodies’ remark, flatly. If there is proof that he DID say it - and it would have to be convincing video or audio - then he’s surely finished as PM

Why?

A total lie which is then absolutely proved to be a lie, in this context, would be a resigning matter. It’s so clear. On the one hand you’ve got the PM saying ‘this remark never passed my lips’ and on the other hand, oops, here is a video of him saying it? About thousands of dead Britons?!

However he’s probably confident that no one recorded it, so it’s just “he said she said”, and he will survive
    Why would he need to resign? None of them feel the need to resign. Like all great political endings he will be resigned as Thatcher was.

Those who think he said it will have proof he said it; those who think he didn't (lookin' at you here, Phil) will spend hours and hours on PB saying he didn't because bollocks.
    I have no idea whether he did or did not say it. He's said he didn't and without proof to the contrary that seems fair enough.

But even if it had been said, in the way described, I would think it understandable. People get exasperated at times and absolutely protecting civil liberties and avoiding lockdown if at all possible is important.

My criticism is that they're lifting lockdown too late, not started it too early. Stripping civil liberties should be a last resort not a first one. And if that means more people die due to a pandemic, but the NHS isn't at risk of collapse, then so be it.

Far, far too many people act as if deaths alone are the only metric and our civil liberties are immaterial. Do you disagree with that @TOPPING ?
    I think my many, many posts on the subject of that last would be ample indication of what I think.

2. Ensure you don't rub in the dirt the noses of the families of those who have died with a throwaway glib remark.

As you are keen on whatabouts. What about if some squaddie had been zapped by the Taliban in Afghan and Boris was overheard to say so what it's only one soldier's death vs the overall campaign?
    If he said on the media something so glib that would be rubbing it in people's nose. Saying it in your private office with no cameras, I expect every PM gets stressed and frustrated sometimes. People used to talk about Nokia's thrown about under a prior PM.

I doubt he said it but if he did it's embarrassing but I don't care that someone gets exasperated.

The fact is he did do another lockdown anyway. That he didn't want to was surely already known by everyone and it is right he shouldn't want to too.
    So in private he would have dismissed the death of a British soldier and when he stood up in the HoC saying how awful it was that'd be fine by you.
    If in private Tony Blair having taken us to war got news that someone had died, and someone said we should pull out immediately to prevent future deaths, and Blair had said that while the death was sad the war was more important and we needed to continue with the war even if it means soldiers die ... then I'd think that is part and parcel of war.

If he then said the death was sad, well it is.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Easy, depends on who posted it.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Because if the poster has any sense, they now have to at least give you a flavour by describing it or including an excerpt.

There’s a site already for people who want to look at brainless political tweets all day. Twitter, I believe it is called. This site is for those wanting to have a stab at proper discussion. Or puns, and the rest.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

"John Lewis furniture nightmare", as well as being first on the outermost stage at Reading, is politically far worse.

John Lewis furniture isn't that great and very expensive for what it is.
    Farrow and Ball paint is not great and very expensive indeed for what it is.
    What is a good brand of paint?
    Dulux or Little Greene. I have also used Zoffany on occasion. Edward Bulmer can be nice too.

I have mostly used wallpaper in my new home. In the most vivid and eye-catching colours and patterns. Not a hint of magnolia or beige anywhere!

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

Great names for the colours, though!
    I don't much like the colours to be honest. Look good in photos but disappointing in reality.
    The F&B colours are superb. Dulux is technically better paint, easier to apply and longer lasting. But the F&B finish is more attractive, if you are prepared to put the work in with all the coats, and then stay away from the walls and only use the middle of each room once it is done.
    Hard to beat F&B paint , though as you say if you do not take the modern versions it does not take heavy traffic. The old colours and versions are superb but you need minimum 2 and often 3 coats. It is also very expensive, having just done my whole house with it the cost is eye watering but finish superb.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,300
    RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

This brings me back to my original point, that I had thought the text that was posted was an opinion about the content of the tweet, rather than the tweet itself.
    True, so did I. It was just what the tweeter, a former Blair and Brown adviser thought.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson fails to comment on allegations against his conduct as he joins Welsh campaign trail in Wrexham https://bit.ly/3vjJzBB @ITVCaroleGreen https://twitter.com/ITVWales/status/1386664425915092992/video/1

The description is a bit of a stretch. He was asked if he thought he would do more harm than good for the Welsh conservatives.
    In fairness to Johnson, RT is managing very well to haemorrhage Welsh Conservative votes without Johnson's intervention.
    The latest Welsh poll has the Welsh Conservatives on 24% on the constituency vote and 22% on the list vote, up on the 21% and 19% respectively they got in 2016
  • Options
    I clicked on the link and it said the tweet was deleted. What did they say ?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Can some tory kremlinologist explain at whose behest the Daily Mail is sticking the hoof into Johnson over bodygate?

Well The Daily Mail is the employer of one Mrs Sarah Vine who also happens to be wife of Michael Gove.

Now there's this theory that it really boils the piss of day late Dacre and Viscount Rothmere that a Telegraph man became PM, so he wants him gone, but if it is Gove as next PM then a Telegraph man is replaced by a man from The Times, which will cause much more piss boiling at the Mail but it makes one of their top columnists the wife of the PM so that is a bonus.

I also heard that Mrs Vine and Mr Gove's relationship may not be as strong as it used to be, another person told me that it is just lockdown fatigue and the fact Gove's been busy with Brexit and the plague but they are fine.
    What has Dacre got to do with editorial line of Daily Mail these days?

It is absolutely obviously that the new tougher line is due to the Pro-Remain editor, who was always much more critical of Boris / Tories / Brexit when he edited the MoS. MoS vs Daily Mail was like reading the Sun vs the Mirror take on things.
    Dacre is still chairman and editor-in-chief of Associated Newspapers and director of the Daily Mail & General Trust plc.

I'm not sure the arch Thatcherite Dacre is fan of Johnson's more lefty policies.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

People should use italics for quoted stuff. There’s a button for it just up there ^
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited April 2021
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

People should use italics for quoted stuff. There’s a button for it just up there ^
    Yeah, I think that would be quite useful in this new non-embedding era.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

What is a good brand of paint?
    Dulux or Little Greene. I have also used Zoffany on occasion. Edward Bulmer can be nice too.

I have mostly used wallpaper in my new home. In the most vivid and eye-catching colours and patterns. Not a hint of magnolia or beige anywhere!

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

Great names for the colours, though!
    I don't much like the colours to be honest. Look good in photos but disappointing in reality.
    The F&B colours are superb. Dulux is technically better paint, easier to apply and longer lasting. But the F&B finish is more attractive, if you are prepared to put the work in with all the coats, and then stay away from the walls and only use the middle of each room once it is done.
    Hard to beat F&B paint , though as you say if you do not take the modern versions it does not take heavy traffic. The old colours and versions are superb but you need minimum 2 and often 3 coats. It is also very expensive, having just done my whole house with it the cost is eye watering but finish superb.
    Agreed. Living only in the centre of each room and holding your breath as you walk near the walls on the way in and out is a small price to pay for the magical chalky Matt finish you get, and all the lovely colours.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,091
    Can you please copy and paste the Tweet instead of just the link?

I find that the following format works best:

Link

Twitter Name
    Twitter Handle
    Tweet
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Why?

If in private Tony Blair having taken us to war got news that someone had died, and someone said we should pull out immediately to prevent future deaths, and Blair had said that while the death was sad the war was more important and we needed to continue with the war even if it means soldiers die ... then I'd think that is part and parcel of war.

"pile up the bodies" is analagous to all that is it? Or is this the first Boris being Boris defence?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I can't keep up with the woke stuff....the BBC describe Chloe Zhao as the first woman of colour to win best director.

Since when have people from China been described as people of colour? Or am I missing something?

About a year. People of color now means anyone who is the tiniest bit non-white (but not Jews, obvs)

The phrase “of color” has about 2 years of life left, I reckon. After that it will be seen as grossly offensive, and it will follow BAME into the lexical bin
    I was genuinely presuming I didn't know something about her background, that she is actually of mixed race or something. I have honestly never heard people from Asia being described as such.

Do the wokies not realise that labelling every non-white person as such sounds very much like "othering" that genuine racists / racist countries practice e.g South Africa back in the day, describing all none 100% white European as the coloureds.
    It's rather more to do with the fact that the Oscars have basically ignored anything that wasn't either from the US or the UK for most of their history.

The BBC, struggling as it does to represent the broad span of British culture, is always going to come across as muddled. It's neither woke nor reactionary - just a muddled compromise between the two.

The more notable thing about a director out of China winning the Oscar is that Chinese media has deliberately ignored it, as she is not politically acceptable to them.
    No, the phrase ‘of color’ is now applied to virtually all non-whites in the USA, and this ridiculous usage is spreading to the UK. It’s nothing to do with the BBC being ‘muddled’

‘Chloé Zhao on Sunday became the first woman of color, the first Chinese woman and the second woman ever to win the Oscar for directing, capping off an impressive run of honors for her work on the drama “Nomadland.”’

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1386487455545761792?s=21

‘Chloé Zhao accepts the Academy Award for Best Director. She is the first woman of color to do so.’

https://twitter.com/newyorker/status/1386489612248485888?s=21

As I said, this patronising and tortured locution will disappear quite soon; see the history of the almost identical expression ‘colored person’, which is now deemed so offensive it can get you fired
    I remember Beneditch Cumberbatch getting into all sorts of trouble using it and an outraged mob raining anger on him on Twitter. It’s a term many of my generation would use and without malice and without aiming to cause offence. The term BAME is going the same way.

A friend of mine - absent minded liberal type - recently and accidentally used the phrase ‘coloured person’ rather than ‘person of colour’ in a professional Zoom call. He froze immediately, well aware that if it got picked up his career was over. His trade is super woke and full of cancellations, and he had rivals on the Zoom call.

No one noticed. He’s fine.

But how absurd that we have reached this stage of paranoia. Like Victorians shrouding piano legs in case they seem arousing
    Tell me about it. Not to try and top you, but a friend of mine told me the other day about this guy at his office who got himself so wound up about oppressive wokery that he wouldn't even use the words "black" or "white" or "colour" for anything under any circumstances. Scared of the sack if he did, he told my mate. Might be misinterpreted, he said. Whole thing got a bit torrid, apparently, with this bloke becoming more and more skittish, forced (through no fault of his own) into ever more tortuous linguistic contortions to stay safe and avoid saying the potentially treacherous words. Irony is, it ruined his productivity and he got the sack! Still out of work now, poor bastard. You couldn't make it up.
    "To find a job is like a haystack needle
    Cause where he lives they don't use colored people
    Living just enough, just enough for the city..."
    S Wonder
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,988
    Dura_Ace said:

Can some tory kremlinologist explain at whose behest the Daily Mail is sticking the hoof into Johnson over bodygate?

The Tories are famously unsentimental about leaders. If they think the current one is starting to become a liability they'll do everything they can to get a replacement by the time of the next election.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

Link

Twitter Name
    Twitter Handle
    Tweet
    it's already gone

I will however in future post screengrabs - it's less work than 3 separate cut and paste requests which is what you are asking for there.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,000

Link

Twitter Name
    Twitter Handle
    Tweet

The number of new doses administered yesterday is 396,254

England administered 288K compared to 265K last week (FD: 61K, SD: 227K)

1 million people have been fully vaccinated in Scotland

— Ganesh Ranganathan (@ganeshran) April 26, 2021
    Like this ?
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Link

Twitter Name
    Twitter Handle
    Tweet
    It would also be useful to compose a short biographical summary of the tweeter, for those who may not know him or her, to include the time and date of the posting, and a précis of any relevant earlier tweets together with a short summary of the ensuing Twitter discussion, along with an essay to explain why the tweet is important and what implications, both short and longer term, it might have for both betting opportunities and the wider political climate.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Link

Twitter Name
    Twitter Handle
    Tweet
    Yeah. Tweet is unavailable
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    eek said:

Link

Twitter Name
    Twitter Handle
    Tweet
    it's already gone

I will however in future post screengrabs - it's less work than 3 separate cut and paste requests which is what you are asking for there.
    It isn't 3 separate cut and pastes, it's 2. It's the same layout as on Twitter so you can just select the text from the tweet, copy, and then paste. The only thing left is the link.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Why?

"pile up the bodies" is analagous to all that is it? Or is this the first Boris being Boris defence?
    Yes I think so. As I said I wasn't there. I'd rather judge on what did happen rather than alleged tempers behind closed doors.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    Presumably Boris with his piles of bodies is emulating Churchill’s “let ‘em starve” response about the Channel Islands during the occupation. Whilst he was ruling out military action to free the islands after D-day left the Germans cut off as it would have been pointless as the death and destruction would have been huge for no massive gain the downside was that the starving would include tens of thousands of British Citizens.....

So effectively weighing up deaths and damage from one outcome against another.....
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Why?

Yes I think so. As I said I wasn't there. I'd rather judge on what did happen rather than alleged tempers behind closed doors.
    Thanks and yes we shall wait to see if we ever find out whether he did say this. And if you see an equivalence thanks also; it's good to know where we all lie on the moral compass wrt tolerance of our politicians.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    Scott_xP said:

Word of the day is 'snollygoster' (19th century): an individual guided by personal gain rather than by principles.
    https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1386602738117718017

Hmm, I often find an example sentence helpful to fully understand - in this case adding the name of a person who would be a good example of a snollygoster. Any ideas? :wink:
  • Options
    Todays poll with cons -5 and labour -1 looks as if we may be getting to 'none of the above'

More polls will be forthcoming to conform the trend and if this was an outlier, which I rather suspect it was not
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

The Tories are famously unsentimental about leaders. If they think the current one is starting to become a liability they'll do everything they can to get a replacement by the time of the next election.
    I don't think The Daily Mail chooses our PM. It is a hateful smear rag.
  • Options
    Seeing that everyone is talking about what Boris said has everyone read Robert Peston's article from lunchtime

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-truth-about-boris-s-bodies-pile-high-in-their-thousands-comment

It's interesting to note that the initial source isn't Cummings
  • Options
    edited April 2021

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

On the contrary, it's wonderful and doesn't pollute every thread with twatter spam from nobodies with blue ticks.
    Agreed, the site is infinitely better without the embedding, both from a functionality standpoint (it now actually works) and a content one. No longer do we have to hear from Dave Keating every two minutes.
    I think that's because he finally stopped posting dodgy graphs and statistics, rather than anything PB has done.
    Most tweets on this site were garbage – his being a prime example – that served only to clutter the site. It's easy enough to copy a tweet if it's really worth doing. PB is far, far better without daft tweets everywhere.
    Was it a decision by VanillaForums or PB? (Good move IMO).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Why?

Thanks and yes we shall wait to see if we ever find out whether he did say this. And if you see an equivalence thanks also; it's good to know where we all lie on the moral compass wrt tolerance of our politicians.
    I don't see it as a moral issue.

The report I read from Peston is it was said in exasperation. No idea if it's true or not, since it came from Peston I lean towards not, but even if it is ... I expect people get angry behind closed doors. People aren't robots.

Brown's infamous Nokias flying wasn't a moral issue either for me.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

PB it's a configuration setting I believe
  • Options
    The clown now on the record as denying his piled bodies comment.

If there is a recording, things get interesting.
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

We need a poll.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    Something for the Dura Ace bookshelf.

https://twitter.com/wospw/status/1386665846525894658?s=21
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Dura_Ace said:

What the fucking fuck is a "trade and investment" ship?
    Wouldn't have been the posting you want, would it? Couldn't look people in the eye.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

We need a poll.
    But rcs1000 gets 1000 votes in the poll.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

We need a poll.
    dammit yes I think you're right. Is that why whenever I pull up PB OK Computer starts playing in the background?
  • Options

Todays poll with cons -5 and labour -1 looks as if we may be getting to 'none of the above'

More polls will be forthcoming to conform the trend and if this was an outlier, which I rather suspect it was not

It is the plausible outcome when there is news about political bad behaviour, dishonesty and scandal - more of the mud sticks to the responsible party, but all politicians take a hit.
  • Options

One swallow does not a summer make.
  • Options

One swallow does not a summer make.
    Of course and this is why we need to see the trend in the next few polls

I think one is due at 5.00pm tonight
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

The colours are nice, but I don’t think they’ve improved it since Victorian times.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

It creates and feed controversy to sell papers - and you can tell from it's sales figures that it's still good at doing it.
  • Options
    "US lifts pause on Johnson & Johnson vaccine"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56865562
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Boris denial now puts the cards on the table

If he did not say it he is in the clear, if he did he is looking at resignation
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

We need a poll.
    dammit yes I think you're right. Is that why whenever I pull up PB OK Computer starts playing in the background?
    You can disable that feature, all it requires is an in-depth knowledge of Python.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

The colours are nice, but I don’t think they’ve improved it since Victorian times.
    Which is kind of the idea.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Superb, first jab for me on Saturday. Thank you very much for the heads up!
  • Options
    Wonder how long before the first person in their 20s gets offered a jab? (People without conditions or working in health care positions). Maybe only a few weeks.
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

It creates and feed controversy to sell papers - and you can tell from it's sales figures that it's still good at doing it.
    Oh yes ..its very good at it, its nevertheless a hateful rag, deliberately stirring people up with its terminology...outrage, fury, anger and so on and so forth.
  • Options
    BoJo not looking very happy when he was asked about the bodies
  • Options
    edited April 2021

IanB2 said:

Trading at under 4 to go this year now. It was trending towards 10 before all this. Exciting times. It would cost me serious money on the betting if he goes (since I've decided not to close out) but I find myself rooting strongly for it. I've never really taken to him.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

He won't resign for this lie - why should he? Has he resigned for any other lie?

You are right to understand that this is a career-ender though. I think it was you objecting to my "kill your granny" description of this policy, yet here we are with "let the bodies pile high" on the front of the Mail. Leting Covid kill granny in exchange for "Boris saves Christmas" headlines was literally and explicitly the conversation - and poll ratings were deemed more important than the life of granny.

He won't resign. Like Thatcher he will be told that his position is untenable and will be resigned by the men in grey suits.

BETTING POST - if this carries Boris off to the political brothel in the sky, it is Great News for Rishi Sunak. He will be able to run for the leadership whilst his stock is still overpriced, before economic reality kicks in, and against psychotic knife assassin Michael Gove.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

For those who still wear spats, and travel by hansom cab, I can see it would make sense.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Trading at under 4 to go this year now. It was trending towards 10 before all this. Exciting times. It'd cost me serious money on the betting (since I've decided not to close out) but I find myself rooting strongly for it. I've never really taken to him.
    It's kind of people to donate to Shadsy's Christmas Fund so early in the year.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

We need a poll.
    You can disable that feature, all it requires is an in-depth knowledge of Python.
    Yep. Just some Python expertise.
  • Options
    I have yet to find a better paint colour than F&B's Lime White.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I think it puts the chips on the table? What the cards might be is the outstanding point.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

IanB2 said:

He won't resign for this lie - why should he? Has he resigned for any other lie?

You are right to understand that this is a career-ender though. I think it was you objecting to my "kill your granny" description of this policy, yet here we are with "let the bodies pile high" on the front of the Mail. Leting Covid kill granny in exchange for "Boris saves Christmas" headlines was literally and explicitly the conversation - and poll ratings were deemed more important than the life of granny.

He won't resign. Like Thatcher he will be told that his position is untenable and will be resigned by the men in grey suits.

BETTING POST - if this carries Boris off to the political brothel in the sky, it is Great News for Rishi Sunak. He will be able to run for the leadership whilst his stock is still overpriced, before economic reality kicks in, and against psychotic knife assassin Michael Gove.
    Gove's plan does have the big flaw of the fact that if BJ does fall, it won't be Brutus who takes over.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

We need a poll.
    Yep. Just some Python expertise.
    The text-only tweets weren't too bad. It was the ones with lots of big images clogging up the site. I don't know whether there's a way to disable images on tweets while keeping the text.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    AlistairM said:

My cynical brain wonders whether this is to generate exciting new stories every 48 hours :o .
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    edited April 2021

IanB2 said:

The Tories have moved to an average 9-point lead from level at the turn of the year, due to saving everyone with the vaccines.

There will be no move against Johnson until the polls go into reverse, and Tory MPs are looking at 9-point deficits, at least.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a triumphant Johnson lauding victory in Hartlepool - which will make discussion of his successor seem a trifle premature (I reckon Liz Truss).
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The other option that the truth is somewhere in the middle. There's a difference between the BBC apparently being told that Boris Johnson suggested that "bodies could pile high" and the Mail claiming Johnson had said "let the bodies pile high in their thousands". He can truthfully deny the second if what he said was the first - there's also a quite crucial potential difference in meaning - the first may be a colourful way of going through the consequences if no lockdown, rather than endorsing those consequences.

The BBC version, of course, requires context to understand what was meant.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    Not read the whole thread so not sure if it has already been suggested but I think the reason political approval ratings are higher from football fans is that supporting most clubs teaches you from an early age that you can't win every week and to recognise the real challenges that a club faces. Fans are therefore more likely to have realistic expectations of UK plc, especially in a pandemic, and judge politicians more pragmatically.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,016
    Scott_xP said:

when Gove destroyed the PM's first attempt to get the job

Sssshhhhh

The fanbois don't like to talk about that.

BoZo is an all conquering hero who has won every contest in history...
    You're obsessed by that incident but I'm still none the wiser what you think it signifies.

He bottled it on that occasion. Why is that so embarrassing for a fanboi that you think it is such a devastating point?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I used to like the tweets. They broke up the walls of text and triggered some good one-liners. Brought a bit of tabloid fizz to the place. Not saying there's no upside to the change. The site is faster for one. But for me we have lost something. You now have to make the effort to click into the tweet to check it out. And then reverse that to get back to your place on the thread. So I'm often not bothering and therefore missing out on some shits and giggles.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    kinabalu said:

I used to like the tweets. They broke up the walls of text and triggered some good one-liners. Brought a bit of tabloid fizz to the place. Not saying there's no upside to the change. The site is faster for one. But for me we have lost something. You now have to make the effort to click into the tweet to check it out. And then reverse that to get back to your place on the thread. So I'm often not bothering and therefore missing out on some shits and giggles.

It's infinitely better now. One or two PBers relied solely on recycling tweets for their contribution. Now I can skip past their posts without needing to engage with whatever rubbish they're prattling on about.
  • Options

M

IanB2 said:

The Tories have moved to an average 9-point lead from level at the turn of the year, due to saving everyone with the vaccines.

There will be no move against Johnson until the polls go into reverse, and Tory MPs are looking at 9-point deficits, at least.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a triumphant Johnson lauding victory in Hartlepool - which will make discussion of his successor seem a trifle premature (I reckon Liz Truss).
    The problem with fast moving events - especially when its shocking P1 Daily Mail revelations about the PM killing your granny - is that the last poll is irrelevant. Tory MPs talk about their mailbag - how many emails and how angry the emails are.

As it becomes clear that Johnson is an uncaring bounder who sacrificed Captain Tom in order to get saves Christmas headlines, expect the position to shift rapidly. In any crash - whether its the stockmarket, Bitcoin, a bankruptcy OR a political career, momentum builds slowly at first then faster until it comes to "Operation Climax comes to its final shuddering surge"
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

Do they still use arsenic to get those nice green colours?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I can't keep up with the woke stuff....the BBC describe Chloe Zhao as the first woman of colour to win best director.

Since when have people from China been described as people of colour? Or am I missing something?

About a year. People of color now means anyone who is the tiniest bit non-white (but not Jews, obvs)

The phrase “of color” has about 2 years of life left, I reckon. After that it will be seen as grossly offensive, and it will follow BAME into the lexical bin
    I was genuinely presuming I didn't know something about her background, that she is actually of mixed race or something. I have honestly never heard people from Asia being described as such.

Do the wokies not realise that labelling every non-white person as such sounds very much like "othering" that genuine racists / racist countries practice e.g South Africa back in the day, describing all none 100% white European as the coloureds.
    It's rather more to do with the fact that the Oscars have basically ignored anything that wasn't either from the US or the UK for most of their history.

The BBC, struggling as it does to represent the broad span of British culture, is always going to come across as muddled. It's neither woke nor reactionary - just a muddled compromise between the two.

The more notable thing about a director out of China winning the Oscar is that Chinese media has deliberately ignored it, as she is not politically acceptable to them.
    No, the phrase ‘of color’ is now applied to virtually all non-whites in the USA, and this ridiculous usage is spreading to the UK. It’s nothing to do with the BBC being ‘muddled’

‘Chloé Zhao on Sunday became the first woman of color, the first Chinese woman and the second woman ever to win the Oscar for directing, capping off an impressive run of honors for her work on the drama “Nomadland.”’

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1386487455545761792?s=21

‘Chloé Zhao accepts the Academy Award for Best Director. She is the first woman of color to do so.’

https://twitter.com/newyorker/status/1386489612248485888?s=21

As I said, this patronising and tortured locution will disappear quite soon; see the history of the almost identical expression ‘colored person’, which is now deemed so offensive it can get you fired
    I remember Beneditch Cumberbatch getting into all sorts of trouble using it and an outraged mob raining anger on him on Twitter. It’s a term many of my generation would use and without malice and without aiming to cause offence. The term BAME is going the same way.

A friend of mine - absent minded liberal type - recently and accidentally used the phrase ‘coloured person’ rather than ‘person of colour’ in a professional Zoom call. He froze immediately, well aware that if it got picked up his career was over. His trade is super woke and full of cancellations, and he had rivals on the Zoom call.

No one noticed. He’s fine.

But how absurd that we have reached this stage of paranoia. Like Victorians shrouding piano legs in case they seem arousing
    Tell me about it. Not to try and top you, but a friend of mine told me the other day about this guy at his office who got himself so wound up about oppressive wokery that he wouldn't even use the words "black" or "white" or "colour" for anything under any circumstances. Scared of the sack if he did, he told my mate. Might be misinterpreted, he said. Whole thing got a bit torrid, apparently, with this bloke becoming more and more skittish, forced (through no fault of his own) into ever more tortuous linguistic contortions to stay safe and avoid saying the potentially treacherous words. Irony is, it ruined his productivity and he got the sack! Still out of work now, poor bastard. You couldn't make it up.
    "To find a job is like a haystack needle
    Cause where he lives they don't use colored people
    Living just enough, just enough for the city..."
    S Wonder
    Couldn't get away with THAT now, black or not, blind or not! :smile:

(cept he could).
  • Options

Well either he said it and is annoyed and worried about being asked, or he didn't say it and is annoyed and worried about it being asked, knowing denying it wont matter.

Either way of course hes not happy.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,307
    edited April 2021

IanB2 said:

He won't resign, even if it is proved he's lied about this comment.

I think it's very likely he did indeed say it, and it's distasteful. But I'm afraid that both saying it and lying about it will be dismissed as "Boris will be Boris" both by apologists and enough of the wider public. Had it come out in mid-January, different story - but it's come out when prospects look far brighter. I wish it weren't the case that he'll get away with it all, but there you are.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    edited April 2021
    Bugger blockquotes. Sorry.

Actually Comical Dave has pivoted again. You underestimate the man's tenacity.

Now he's leaving the EU average off entirely and posting a 'selection' of countries.

:smile:
  • Options
    Selebian said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

My bathroom is painted in Arsenic. Or at least the closest match the local paint shop could manage.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    Brom said:

kinabalu said:

It's infinitely better now. One or two PBers relied solely on recycling tweets for their contribution. Now I can skip past their posts without needing to engage with whatever rubbish they're prattling on about.
    The site loads more reliably is the big benefit. There are pros and cons to the tweets being there but the added reliability wins the case for the new system.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    From Simon Case's wafer-thin answers to the PACAC today - uniting Tory and Labour members in condemnation - it's clear the once formidable position of Cabinet Secretary is no longer feared by PMs. Now appears to exist solely to clean up their mess, not to stop it from being made.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1386690255617773569?s=20
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    NHS Vaccination booking system definitely just had a big update....a couple of friends in their early 40s, I told them to give it a cheeky ping today, this morning they said nothing, just reported based on here that it seems slots becoming available.

They got back to me and said all booked up now for next few days, although 2nd does they had to book for sites along way away.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

IanB2 said:

How will it ever be proved what someone said in a conversation 6 months ago?

Is every word the PM says recorded?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Gove up in the HoC....
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

IanB2 said:

I think it's very likely he did indeed say it, and it's distasteful. But I'm afraid that both saying it and lying about it will be dismissed as "Boris will be Boris" both by apologists and enough of the wider public. Had it come out in mid-January, different story - but it's come out when prospects look far brighter. I wish it weren't the case that he'll get away with it all, but there you are.
    The quote just doesn't make sense as it's meant to be an outburst. 'Let the bodies pile up in their thousands' is overly wordy.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    MattW said:

Bugger blockquotes. Sorry.

Actually Comical Dave has pivoted again.

Now he's leaving the EU average off entirely and posting a 'selection' of countries.

:smile:

No doubt, a selection of countries who have administered 2 doses of Pfizer within 3 weeks of each other, within the past month.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Trading at under 4 to go this year now. It was trending towards 10 before all this. Exciting times. It'd cost me serious money on the betting (since I've decided not to close out) but I find myself rooting strongly for it. I've never really taken to him.
    It's kind of people to donate to Shadsy's Christmas Fund so early in the year.
    I think he'll survive. But it makes that "PM for a decade" dream look more distant. Which is good.
  • Options
    On DC statehood...

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1386121674001567746
    Giving D.C. full representation in the House and Senate is such a far-fetched, left-wing pipe dream that in 1978 it had the support of Barry Goldwater, Howard Baker, Bob Dole and Strom Thurmond, as well as the endorsement of the entire Republican Party in its 1976 platform...
  • Options
    BBC suggesting that he said ‘bodies could pile high’ rather than the quote in the Mail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56890714
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well either he said it and is annoyed and worried about being asked, or he didn't say it and is annoyed and worried about it being asked, knowing denying it wont matter.

Either way of course hes not happy.
    So win win
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

The quote just doesn't make sense as it's meant to be an outburst. 'Let the bodies pile up in their thousands' is overly wordy.
    Anyway, he would have said it in Latin, wouldn't he?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited April 2021
    Despite the nasty quotes & today’s ominous poll, I’m not convinced Boris will be gone any time soon.

Decent trading opportunity, however.

Best strategy I can think of, other than laying “Boris out imminently” is to lay the front runners for the leadership, if punters on the other side of the bet get overoptimistic.

The leadership market will look very different in 2024, or 2027, or whenever.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,910
    edited April 2021
    ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

Dura_Ace said:

It'll be financial fuckery like the flat that finishes him because the RW types don't have money and hate people who do.

If we assume, for a moment, that BoZo is indeed felled by Cummings (Oh, the irony) but there is no election, so Gove takes over.
    I wonder how quickly he would redecorate the flat...
    You mean, to get rid of the blood all over the walls? He might be proud of it....
    Selebian said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

I presume you mean wallpaper printers in general - but it's certainly one reason to keep away from the walls and in the centre of the room, the way it would come off very easily and add to the dust (and no vacuums either in those days).

As for the blood, red wine surely?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

For a man who uses the word propinquity off the cuff at a select committee? Verbosity, given his stlye of rambling and rare word usage, is not implausible.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Quick way to post pics also, which breaks up the screeds of (no doubt deathless) text.
  • Options

Not read the whole thread so not sure if it has already been suggested but I think the reason political approval ratings are higher from football fans is that supporting most clubs teaches you from an early age that you can't win every week and to recognise the real challenges that a club faces. Fans are therefore more likely to have realistic expectations of UK plc, especially in a pandemic, and judge politicians more pragmatically.

That's an excellent point.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,910
    edited April 2021
    kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

For a man who uses the word propinquity off the cuff at a select committee? Verbosity, given his stlye of rambling and rare word usage, is not implausible.
    It's also the usage of someone with a classical education: that's a slightly archaic version of the imperative.

Edit: sort of way one was taught to translate the imperative case.
  • Options
    Taz said:

BBC suggesting that he said ‘bodies could pile high’ rather than the quote in the Mail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56890714

Which would make a lot of difference but is close enough for opponents to say hes wriggling out of what he said. Ideal for them.
This discussion has been closed.