Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Tories forever? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,215
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Nice day today!

My niece's dog is called Guinness
    Have some sympathy for those living in Nicola's joyless Scotland.
    As if on cue the bagpipes start.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,559
    Andy_JS said:

The piece that still resonates with me was in the Spectator last week. Labour are the AND party - to support them you have to support this AND this AND this AND this and any dissent on any of them makes you a traitor. The Tories are the OR party - to support them you can support this OR this OR this and if you don't like most policies but vote for them for this one, welcome to the party!

There is no way that a party as inept as the current Tories can maintain their current level of support. Punters generally want competent fair government and despite the pox and Brexit making many voters suspend this, it won't last. However I don't put it past the Tories to reinvent themselves with a new leader leading a "new" government.

Then we have Labour. Without significant seats won in Scotland there is no route to a majority. Without a wholesale rethink of how to speak to people they aren't going to win back seats in the former red wall. Starmer isn't really the problem, the party is. A Blair would lead from the front, inspire the centre and build an unstoppable coalition of voters. I just don't see that Labour have anyone of that calibre to choose from...

More than that, perhaps the most important underlying factor that has changed over the course of the century so far is that, back in 2000, it was Labour that was the party of optimism, which looked as if it felt at ease with the country as it was. The Conservatives were the 'nasty party' that didn't much like what Britain had become or many of the people in it.

Now the situation is reversed. Labour is the party you support if you think that the country is a cesspool of racism and all kinds of horrid phobias, and most of the voters are brain dead scum who are wholly complicit in its manifold evils. Its remaining support base is very heavily skewed towards pissed off youths, minority interests and various shades of hard leftists and, apart from the occasional act of ritual genuflection before the NHS, they give a strong impression of having nothing good to say about Britain at all.

Starmer himself was meant to be the next Kinnock, but you do wonder if he's more like Labour's IDS? I don't know - yes, a lot could change in the years ahead, but how is this iteration of Labour meant to win back large numbers of voters directly from the Tories (or the SNP, for that matter?) It doesn't look at all promising for them...
    Totally agree. I voted Labour twice when Blair was leader. Why? Because I liked his optimism. The Tories were the pessimists at that time.
    I couldn't vote for Blair as I saw him to be the duplicitous bastard that he was. Him and his loathsome cabal of Brown, Mandleson, Prescott together with the loathsome Alastair Campbell. However qually loathsome the Tories had become, I saw my duty as standing by whilst clinging to the wreckage and limiting the damage of the oncoming Tsunami of New Labour.
  • juniusjunius Posts: 73
    It is easy to think of so many matters that divide opinion.
    But - can anyone suggest an idea - or a piece of legislation - that might gain overwhelming approval in the UK from folk of all - or no - political leanings?
    Please don't be cynical ! I genuinely wonder what could appeal to all regardless of financial status - religious beliefs - place of residence - educational background - etc. etc.
    There must be something - but I can't fathom it.

Your turn.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,172

Andy_JS said:

The piece that still resonates with me was in the Spectator last week. Labour are the AND party - to support them you have to support this AND this AND this AND this and any dissent on any of them makes you a traitor. The Tories are the OR party - to support them you can support this OR this OR this and if you don't like most policies but vote for them for this one, welcome to the party!

There is no way that a party as inept as the current Tories can maintain their current level of support. Punters generally want competent fair government and despite the pox and Brexit making many voters suspend this, it won't last. However I don't put it past the Tories to reinvent themselves with a new leader leading a "new" government.

Then we have Labour. Without significant seats won in Scotland there is no route to a majority. Without a wholesale rethink of how to speak to people they aren't going to win back seats in the former red wall. Starmer isn't really the problem, the party is. A Blair would lead from the front, inspire the centre and build an unstoppable coalition of voters. I just don't see that Labour have anyone of that calibre to choose from...

More than that, perhaps the most important underlying factor that has changed over the course of the century so far is that, back in 2000, it was Labour that was the party of optimism, which looked as if it felt at ease with the country as it was. The Conservatives were the 'nasty party' that didn't much like what Britain had become or many of the people in it.

Now the situation is reversed. Labour is the party you support if you think that the country is a cesspool of racism and all kinds of horrid phobias, and most of the voters are brain dead scum who are wholly complicit in its manifold evils. Its remaining support base is very heavily skewed towards pissed off youths, minority interests and various shades of hard leftists and, apart from the occasional act of ritual genuflection before the NHS, they give a strong impression of having nothing good to say about Britain at all.

Starmer himself was meant to be the next Kinnock, but you do wonder if he's more like Labour's IDS? I don't know - yes, a lot could change in the years ahead, but how is this iteration of Labour meant to win back large numbers of voters directly from the Tories (or the SNP, for that matter?) It doesn't look at all promising for them...
    Totally agree. I voted Labour twice when Blair was leader. Why? Because I liked his optimism. The Tories were the pessimists at that time.
    Absolutely agreed here, although I personally never voted for Blair. The British left have not found their new source of optimism. Biden in America looks to be relocating it in a neo-FDR appoach, mixed with old-world civility.
    Yes. We must attack privilege and slay its apologists with a smile on our face not a frown.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,396
    edited April 2021
    junius said:

But - can anyone suggest an idea - or a piece of legislation - that might gain overwhelming approval in the UK from folk of all - or no - political leanings?
    Please don't be cynical ! I genuinely wonder what could appeal to all regardless of financial status - religious beliefs - place of residence - educational background - etc. etc.

Your turn.

The next thread may cover that.

@ydoethur will be interested as it is a teaching thread.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317
    junius said:

Your turn.

National Health Service Act 1946 ?
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Nice day today!

But you were quicker on haircuts. One can find joy there.
    MaxPB said:

Nice day today!

Big head on that.
  • junius said:

Your turn.

National Health Service Act 1946 ?
    Nah, the Tories voted against the National Health Act of 1946 over 20 times.
    junius said:

Your turn.

Current legislation or something new? Because if it is current I think making murder illegal is probably something with a lot approval...
  • Why would you waste your first drink out in months on Guinness?

Honestly, some people.

As a good Muslim boy I'm really looking forward to my J20 next month with friends.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,560

junius said:

Your turn.

Is somebody finally going to call for the mass immolation of the Department of Education?
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Absolutely agreed here, although I personally never voted for Blair. The British left have not found their new source of optimism. Biden in America looks to be relocating it in a neo-FDR appoach, mixed with old-world civility.
    Yes. We must attack privilege and slay its apologists with a smile on our face not a frown.
    OK, perhaps not everyone wants to make murder illegal.
    Harry walking with William and Catherine :)
  • ydoethur said:

junius said:

Your turn.

Is somebody finally going to call for the mass immolation of the Department of Education?
    The headline does mention fires.

Andy_JS said:

I couldn't vote for Blair as I saw him to be the duplicitous bastard that he was. Him and his loathsome cabal of Brown, Mandleson, Prescott together with the loathsome Alastair Campbell. However qually loathsome the Tories had become, I saw my duty as standing by whilst clinging to the wreckage and limiting the damage of the oncoming Tsunami of New Labour.
    One does not sense much "float" in your "vote".

Although it's pot and kettle - there isn't much in mine either.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,268
    Alistair said:

I'm old enough to remember when the Conservatives banned rave music.

"The right hasn't engaged in a culture war" is exactly the kind of crock of shit a reactionary out of touch old fogey would say

They didn't ban rave music, they just banned loud music in the middle of the night on private property without permission.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,615

It's amazing how many on here assert they still voted Conservative in 1997 and 2001.

It's hard therefore to imagine any circumstances where they wouldn't vote Conservative.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,544
    stodge said:

It's amazing how many on here assert they still voted Conservative in 1997 and 2001.

It's hard therefore to imagine any circumstances where they wouldn't vote Conservative.
    Well the Tories did get 30% of the vote in those elections, so not entirely surprising to find some that voted for them.

ydoethur said:

junius said:

Your turn.

I’m all ears...

Metaphorically speaking.
    stodge said:

I voted Tory in 2001, I wouldn’t vote for this lot.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,843
    edited April 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

"The right hasn't engaged in a culture war" is exactly the kind of crock of shit a reactionary out of touch old fogey would say

They didn't ban rave music, they just banned loud music in the middle of the night on private property without permission.
    The effect was to destroy it as a cultural movement, which was exactly what was intended as much as the force of the law. Ex-ravers turned Tories, such as the supposedly libertarian Guido Fawkes, and Dominic Cummings, with his rave-era fluorescent T-shirts and 1990s job as a bouncer in Durham, have preferred not to dwell on this.
  • Hullo.

I don't think it's enough to change leader. No one else is going to do any better. They need to get to grips with the ideological point Mr Herdson makes. Labour are are out of touch with people.

Here's Labour solution. Abandon the union. Campaign full bore on Scottish and English independence, which might be for England & Wales. Go big on English nationalism. Keep everything else that matters to soft left voters but kick the union into oblivion.

It ticks every box of where voters are at and then multiplies it ten-fold. It undoes the tories who are tied to the union in their very name. And I reckon a LOT of English people would be very very tempted to vote for it. Say goodbye to the Scots.

I mean who really believes in the union? It's a weird idea. Out of step with the modern world and out of step with Brexit.

How many English people stand up when singing the national anthem and think to themselves, 'God I'm so glad for the Scots' ?
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

But if the events had been "Cliff" or "Lulu" themed, a blind eye would have been turned.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,033
    stodge said:

It's amazing how many people in Newham still vote LibDem...
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

junius said:

Your turn.

I’m all ears...

Metaphorically speaking.
    Should go up around 6pm.

I've had tremendous fun writing this piece, and the morning piece, which I think will trigger one person.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,506
    Mr. Cockney, welcome to PB.

I disagree entirely. I'm strongly in favour of the union.

I'm more bothered about the woman wearing black instead of white and red like the other singers. What's that all about? Aesthetically looks all wrong.

The other singers are members of the choir of the chapel. She is a soprano standing in for the boy trebles that would normally fill in that role.
    Only song they sang that I recognised was the one the passengers sang in "Titanic" (before the night of the sinking).
    edited April 2021

Hullo.

I don't think it's enough to change leader. No one else is going to do any better. They need to get to grips with the ideological point Mr Herdson makes. Labour are are out of touch with people.

Here's Labour solution. Abandon the union. Campaign full bore on Scottish and English independence, which might be for England & Wales. Go big on English nationalism. Keep everything else that matters to soft left voters but kick the union into oblivion.

It ticks every box of where voters are at and then multiplies it ten-fold. It undoes the tories who are tied to the union in their very name. And I reckon a LOT of English people would be very very tempted to vote for it. Say goodbye to the Scots.

I mean who really believes in the union? It's a weird idea. Out of step with the modern world and out of step with Brexit.

How many English people stand up when singing the national anthem and think to themselves, 'God I'm so glad for the Scots' ?

Well, the irony is that the current national anthem was popularised as a victory hymn composed in its current form for the crushing of the Jacobite rising of 1745-46.

So without the Scots we wouldn’t have it at all.

Hence the verse:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the King.

And welcome.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,544

Hullo.

Wouldn't that strategy work only if almost all current Labour supporters oppose the Union? Campaign hard on ending it and they could put a lot of their base off.
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

But if the events had been "Cliff" or "Lulu" themed, a blind eye would have been turned.
    If the events had been Cliff or Lulu themed they would not have needed banning as no one would have been there at three in the morning.

I'm more bothered about the woman wearing black instead of white and red like the other singers. What's that all about? Aesthetically looks all wrong.

The other singers are members of the choir of the chapel. She is a soprano standing in for the boy trebles that would normally fill in that role.
    Only song they sang that I recognised was the one the passengers sang in "Titanic" (before the night of the sinking).
    I knew (and have sung) most of them.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

junius said:

Your turn.

I’m all ears...

Metaphorically speaking.
    Should go up around 6pm.

I've had tremendous fun writing this piece, and the morning piece, which I think will trigger one person.
    Only one? Tch. You should be like the Sompnour in the Wife of Bath’s Prologue, and go for two or three.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    junius said:

Your turn.

Almost no-one is happy with massive tax avoidance by multinationals by Amazon (except Jeff Bezos ... and our favourite EU leader Jean-Claude Juncker who enabled a lot of it). Make multinationals like Amazon pay fair tax.

Almost no-one is happy with littering. Make fast food companies pay for the litter their customers create, tax. Put a tax on bottles, cans, bags and all forms of common litter & use the proceeds to clean up the countryside (which is drowning in rubbish). Mandatory printing of car registration numbers on all Drive Thru packaging so that litterers can be tracked and fined.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    RobD said:

Hullo.

Wouldn't that strategy work only if almost all current Labour supporters oppose the Union? Campaign hard on ending it and they could put a lot of their base off.
    No doubt there’s some who think “sod it, let them go it alone”

I’m not one of those.
    ydoethur said:

Hullo.

Well, the irony is that the current national anthem was popularised as a victory hymn composed in its current form for the crushing of the Jacobite rising of 1745-46.

Hence the verse:

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the King.

And welcome.
    I was slightly surprised to see the Queen standing for the National anthem: on the only occasion I have been in a choir singing it in her presence she sat for the whole thing.

It's amazing how many people in Newham still vote LibDem...

Well, there's me and the mad woman, who shouts at cats, but I suspect she may be one of those who votes Conservative at General Elections.

As for the shouty wino in the Barking Road, I think he's another possible at local level though I think he shouts at all parties equally.

Hullo.

It's not really our "national anthem" - it's "God Save the Queen", NOT "God Save the UK". The UK isn't the only monarchy in the world.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,234
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

https://youtu.be/HOtdQLBpPQQ
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,771

Can't they give her a swish gown like?
    .. and jolly good she was too.
    She is wearing a swish gown.

Black, for a funeral.

junius said:

Your turn.

Almost no-one is happy with massive tax avoidance by multinationals by Amazon (except Jeff Bezos ... and our favourite EU leader Jean-Claude Juncker who enabled a lot of it). Make multinationals like Amazon pay fair tax.

Almost no-one is happy with littering. Make fast food companies pay for the litter their customers create, tax. Put a tax on bottles, cans, bags and all forms of common litter & use the proceeds to clean up the countryside (which is drowning in rubbish). Mandatory printing of car registration numbers on all Drive Thru packaging so that litterers can be tracked and fined.
    Given the reaction to the possibility of vaccine passports on here I suspect that there would be many who would refuse to go to a drive though under those conditions.

Win-win! I'm with you on that one.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,559
    stodge said:

I voted Lib Dem in the last Election.
    edited April 2021

junius said:

Your turn.

If Biden gets his way, not just Amazon's but billions of pounds, dollars, euros, yuan and yen more of tax worldwide will be paid out, and things will never be the same for tax havens again , either.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,913

Hullo.

Without Scotland Labour would effectively be killed off for good, the Tories would become an English Nationalist Party, the equivalent of the SNP and to ensure as hard a line as possible is taken with the SNP in any Scexit talks and would dominate English politics for years.

The end of the Union would weaken us all both economically and as a force in the world but it would effectively destroy the Labour Party

Hullo.

It's not really our "national anthem" - it's "God Save the Queen", NOT "God Save the UK". The UK isn't the only monarchy in the world.
    The tune used to be used by several countries. Liechtenstein is I think the only one (other than the UK) that still uses it, though in the US it is the tune for "My Country 'tis of Thee", used by them in the same way we might use Rule Britannia, a sort of secondary anthem.
    edited April 2021

ping said:

The govt limited my fathers funeral to six.

Why the fuck is this allowed?

Because as of 12 April, 30 people are allowed?
    There's more than 30 people participating in this funeral.

Given how much it is said singing spreads Covid-19 this hymn singing is rather terrible on stopping the spread.
    There were 30 guests in accordance with the regulations and a small group of socially distanced singers were present, also in accordance with the regulations. There was no singing for the congregation.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-for-managing-a-funeral-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/covid-19-guidance-for-managing-a-funeral-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic

A fitting but simple service, though no eulogy, sermon or readings from the family only the Archbishop and Dean
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited April 2021

Hullo.

It was also the national anthem (well, the tune) of the German empire pre 1918;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heil_dir_im_Siegerkranz

Heil, Kaiser, dir!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,506
    Mr. Teacher, you're correct. When Liechtenstein played football in Scotland not too long ago some fans booed the tune (no lyrics).
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

junius said:

Your turn.

I’m all ears...

Metaphorically speaking.
    Should go up around 6pm.

Only one? Tch. You should be like the Sompnour in the Wife of Bath’s Prologue, and go for two or three.
    Thinking about it, it may annoy more than one person.

It is a fantastic historical comparison.
    Most telling issue raised by the funeral is that St George's Chapel really need to invest in some step-free access!
    edited April 2021
    ydoethur said:

Hullo.

Hence the verse:

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the King.

And welcome.
    We still sing it, just change the words slightly

Lord, grant that Premier Boris
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    Rebellious Scottish Nationalists to crush.
    God save the Queen .

Hullo.

The tune used to be used by several countries. Liechtenstein is I think the only one (other than the UK) that still uses it, though in the US it is the tune for "My Country 'tis of Thee", used by them in the same way we might use Rule Britannia, a sort of secondary anthem.
    But lyrically, I mean. "God Save the UK" would be a much more fitting lyric for our national anthem.

Mr. Teacher, you're correct. When Liechtenstein played football in Scotland not too long ago some fans booed the tune (no lyrics).

I do think the England team ought to use something different like the Scottish and Welsh do (hopefully as good as the Welsh one though, not something as dire as "Flower of Scotland").

Hullo.

But lyrically, I mean. "God Save the UK" would be a much more fitting lyric for our national anthem.
    Wouldn't scan.

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

If the events had been Cliff or Lulu themed they would not have needed banning as no one would have been there at three in the morning.
    Not so sure about that. Some of those Cliff fans are very lively. And as for volume, nobody, and I mean nobody, is louder than Lulu. She can strip paint.
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Not so sure about that. Some of those Cliff fans are very lively. And as for volume, nobody, and I mean nobody, is louder than Lulu. She can strip paint.
    Most of them have a fairly early bed time though...
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,740
    edited April 2021

Hullo.

Or Anarchy in the UK?

Well, maybe if we have to endure more hung Parliaments.
  • HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Hullo.

Hence the verse:

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the King.

And welcome.

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the Queen .
    Barmy
    Any way, I'm off to take advantage of the fine weather and go for my daily walk.

Hullo.

At the moment, the position in Scotland seems to me to be win-win for the Tories and win-win for the SNP. It just doesn't matter how events pan out exactly, the Labour Party is always the loser.

The Tories win if Scotland goes (much easier for the Tories to win the rump UK), and they win if Scotland stays (very hard for an outright Labour majority and also difficult for a Labour/SNP coalition to displace the Tories, as it leaves SKS at the mercy of the SNP).

The SNP win if Scotland goes (it's what they want, after all) and they win if Scotland stays (there is always a next time, the SNP are still securely in control of Holyrood).

Your proposition looks like inviting the Labour Party to sit in the electric chair ... and then the Labour Party themselves get to turn the electric current on and watch themselves get electrocuted.

But it looks as though they only alternative they have is that the Labour Party are tied into the electric chair by others ... and Boris or Nicola turn the electric current on and the Labour Party get electrocuted.

I am very surprised at how little thought the Labour Party seem to have give to recovering their old Scottish citadels.

If they do miss them, or have a plan to recover them, it certainly doesn't seem to show.
    edited April 2021

London is buzzing! Beer gardens full, sun blazing down, everyone having a great time. Wonderful to see.

Yes , the city is really alive today.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,139
    edited April 2021

London is buzzing! Beer gardens full, sun blazing down, everyone having a great time. Wonderful to see.

Agreed!

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

You didn't need extra legislation to ban that as it was already illegal.

The legislation was pure culture war.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    edited April 2021

Hullo.

At the moment, the position in Scotland seems to me to be win-win for the Tories and win-win for the SNP. It just doesn't matter how events pan out exactly, the Labour Party is always the loser.

The Tories win if Scotland goes (much easier for the Tories to win the rump UK), and they win if Scotland stays (very hard for an outright Labour majority and also difficult for a Labour/SNP coalition to displace the Tories, as it leaves SKS at the mercy of the SNP).

The SNP win if Scotland goes (it's what they want, after all) and they win if Scotland stays (there is always a next time, the SNP are still securely in control of Holyrood).

Your proposition looks like inviting the Labour Party to sit in the electric chair ... and then the Labour Party themselves get to turn the electric current on and watch themselves get electrocuted.

But it looks as though they only alternative they have is that the Labour Party are tied into the electric chair by others ... and Boris or Nicola turn the electric current on and the Labour Party get electrocuted.

I am very surprised at how little thought the Labour Party seem to have give to recovering their old Scottish citadels.

If they do miss them, or have a plan to recover them, it certainly doesn't seem to show.
    I got my personalised letter from Mr Sarwar this morning. He basically admitted the SNP would win and asked for my vote merely to ensure that Labour provided the opposition [edit] at Holyrood, not the Tories. I'm not sure if this is realism, total defeatism or genius.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,042
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Your hyperbolic characterisation of Labour supporters doesn't match any that I know, and I know a lot. It just ain't true.

Most of us are decent people who want what is best for the country, but just happen to believe that what's best includes a reduction in gross inequalities and a more tolerant, forward-looking culture. It's an optimistic vision.
    Unfortunately for Labour, the impression given by both its loudest supporters and many of its MPs is that it is militantly intolerant. Society, and most of the individuals within it, are to varying degrees racist, imperialist, colonialist and all kinds of phobic, and if you don't swallow the agenda wholesale and agree with it unquestioningly then you are persona non grata and to be immediately cancelled. As Rochdale said, you must be this and this and this and this and this and this and this or you can f*** off and join the Tories.

The centre of public opinion doesn't believe that Britain is saturated with racism from top to bottom, it doesn't think that Brexit was a massive act of self-destruction which we should aim to repudiate, and it doesn't want things such as open border immigration from the whole world, or radical medical interventions for nine-year-olds who think they're suffering from gender dysphoria, either. Labour looks like it is for angry sectional interests so it will only attract support from adherents of those interests, or from the remaining cohort of "never Tory" voters for whom Labour is the best means of removing or excluding a Conservative candidate in their area. In some ways it is surprising that Labour still polls as well as it does.
    100% agree, really well articulated post and ultimately the reason I'll keep voting for the blue team. I disagree with the Tories on basically everything at the moment but they won't be sending kids into gender re-education because they picked up a digger toy instead of a Barbie.
    An intelligent poster 100% agreeing with borderline unhinged drivel written by another intelligent poster. Such is the scale of Labour's problem if at all representative.
    Max is convinced there is a culture war that has destroyed society, on most things he is extremely articulate and I would suggest educated but on this particular issue he's completely off the deep end.

The culture war is an invented fiction, it does not exist. It has never existed. Which is why it's more depressing that Labour engages in it.

Just don't, do what Blair did and ignore it. Simple.
    No culture wars??!

You're literally throwing statues into rivers.

It doesn't GET more "culture warsy" than that, apart from maybe re-education camps. I'm sure they're on their way, they might be renamed "schools" and "colleges"
    He only says there's no 'culture war' because he's on the winning side of it. They cant see why those on the right and more traditional are annoyed about what is happening. Maybe if he could imagine how he would feel if thousands of Toby Young like minded people started taking over institutions. Organisations that he loves suddenly start insisting that al its patrons and staff should read hannah arendt, and why what she has to say is relevant to their organisation.
    As someone said on here maybe a week ago, in a sense, for quite a while, there has been no culture war - but that's only because no one on the right has been brave enough to fight it, so the left has just advanced without battle. Hence, the appearance of "no war"

Suddenly the Tories have said Nah, no more retreat, turn around and put powder in your muskets. And it feels much more like a culture war, which it is. And now we realise the Left has many weaknesses in this conflict, eg it can easily and profitably be portrayed as insane, detached and unpatriotic.

In short, it can now lose this war, badly.
    It can because its response is so weak when it's challenged, other than trying to close the argument down. The hyperbolic response to the Sewell Report was, actually, rather pathetic.

That gives me huge confidence for the future.
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Hullo.

Hence the verse:

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the King.

And welcome.

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the Queen .
    I hope you're not being serious
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Hullo.

Hence the verse:

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the King.

And welcome.

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the Queen .
    For the first time its made me think he's trolling us all and not actually batshit crazy.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,771

Most telling issue raised by the funeral is that St George's Chapel really need to invest in some step-free access!

Already available, along with loan wheelchairs and a free ticket for your pusher if you have one. Also for all the steps in public areas inside the chapel.

https://www.tripability.net/reviews/review.php?id=15655&location=Windsor Castle, Windsor SL4 1NJ, UK

The challenge is the contours of the site. Strong pusher required.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,480

Hullo.

That would be the logical conclusion of Blue Labour..
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Nice day today!

There's such a thing as doorstep beer delivery (just had one of Black Isle's IPAs for lunch).

There's more to a "buzzing" city of course than beer gardens. East Ham High Street busy and queues still at Primark and the shoe shops. Oddly enough, the supermarkets fairly quiet early afternoon ditto the betting shops.

I'm cooking guinea fowl for lunch tomorrow - that's about as far as we go in East London as we're nowhere near as poncey as the North London metropolitan liberal elite.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,604

Yes , the city is really alive today.
    To be fair, so is the countryside!
    stodge said:

There's more to a "buzzing" city of course than beer gardens. East Ham High Street busy and queues still at Primark and the shoe shops. Oddly enough, the supermarkets fairly quiet early afternoon ditto the betting shops.

I'm cooking guinea fowl for lunch tomorrow - that's about as far as we go in East London as we're nowhere near as poncey as the North London metropolitan liberal elite.

Yum. Some of us would consider jellied eels extreme, tbf.

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Hullo.

Hence the verse:

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the King.

And welcome.

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the Queen .
    For the first time its made me think he's trolling us all and not actually batshit crazy.
    ONly the first time? I've been wondering ever since my little argument with him about a self-selected sample of a few Brexiter larger deep-sea trawler skippers not being representative of the Scottish fishing industry (including processiung and distribution). His utter refusal to admit the distinction I found quite, erm, striking.
    On topic, I think one thing some may be missing is that the Conservatives *have* renewed themselves in office: the manifesto they stood on in 2019 was very different to 2010, and so is their voting coalition. So, in some respects, that change of Government has already taken place - just under the same blue banner. And there's no reason that couldn't happen again.

I think that contrasts to the Thatcher/Major years, where the 1979 manifesto was jacked up through 1983 and 1987 as essentially the next step forward of the same programme, and only toned down slightly with a new face in 1992.

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Hullo.

Hence the verse:

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the King.

And welcome.

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the Queen .
    False dichotomy?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,268
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Nice day today!

There's such a thing as doorstep beer delivery (just had one of Black Isle's IPAs for lunch).
    I've got plenty of drink. What I am missing is the chance to socialise in a bar with pals and have a proper laugh rather than a chat through zoom. Coffee shops with cake wouldn't go amiss either and even I would like to go inside a normal shop again. There is no good reason why Scotland is not enjoying all of this on this glorious day except Nicola's determination to be different, to be seen to be in charge and to dominate the airwaves. What does she care if a few more private businesses go bust as a result? She doesn't have any time for private enterprise anyway.

ydoethur said:

Hullo.

Hence the verse:

May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    God save the King.

And welcome.
    I was slightly surprised to see the Queen standing for the National anthem: on the only occasion I have been in a choir singing it in her presence she sat for the whole thing.
    But, almost uniquely, today wasn't about her being the centre of attention.
    Off topic, I went on my local steam railway with my family today. I saw probably 180-200 people on the two trains in service.

At the end, I saw two middle-aged men - one sitting on the bench and one coming out of the Gents - wearing EU face masks. They both looked unfriendly and rather grumpy. They were also alone.

A couple of years ago this would have angered me, and I'd have even felt threatened by it and driven to sneer at them. But, today, they just cut rather sad and tragic figures fighting a lost anachronistic battle.

So, I just ignored them and walked on by. I was surprisingly unbothered by it; I just felt sorry for them.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,450
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Nice day today!

Big head on that.
    Seems to have knocked him sideways, though.
    Carnyx said:

Hullo.

I got my personalised letter from Mr Sarwar this morning. He basically admitted the SNP would win and asked for my vote merely to ensure that Labour provided the opposition [edit] at Holyrood, not the Tories. I'm not sure if this is realism, total defeatism or genius.
    Isn't El Gordo ruminating on some new Constitutional Settlement for the UK, at the behest of SKS ?

Do we know anything about when he will report his great thoughts ?

junius said:

Your turn.

Bill of attainder against the SoS ?
  • Off topic, I went on my local steam railway with my family today. I saw probably 180-200 people on the two trains in service.

At the end, I saw two middle-aged men - one sitting on the bench and one coming out of the Gents - wearing EU face masks. They both looked unfriendly and rather grumpy. They were also alone.

A couple of years ago this would have angered me, and I'd have even felt threatened by it and driven to sneer at them. But, today, they just cut rather sad and tragic figures fighting a lost anachronistic battle.

So, I just ignored them and walked on by. I was surprisingly unbothered by it; I just felt sorry for them.

If they were wearing face masks how did you tell they were grumpy?

Were you projecting?
    edited April 2021
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Nice day today!

Big head on that.
    Seems to have knocked him sideways, though.
    When I worked in Borth, I used to serve this man:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2278627/Revealed-The-F1-lifestyle-Welsh-meat-factory-boss-accused-making-horse-kebabs-burgers.html

I once pulled him a pint where the froth had got a bit much. So I poured it away and got him another.

He said, ‘that looked like a half.’

I retorted, straight faced, ‘I thought you would appreciate a big head.’

What’s really funny is he didn’t realise I was taking the piss...
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,154

Off topic, I went on my local steam railway with my family today. I saw probably 180-200 people on the two trains in service.

Were you projecting?
    Greetings from sunny Devon.

@Casino_Royale does not relate what the two gentlemen thought of the bowler hatted man in Union Jack knickerbockers and a “Never Kissed a Trot” T-shirt passing them.
  • Nigelb said:

junius said:

Your turn.

I come to praise Gavin Williamson, not bury him.

Nigelb said:

junius said:

Your turn.

Really?

Who are you comparing him too?
  • ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

junius said:

Your turn.

Really?

Who are you comparing him too?
    Find out in the next hour.

On topic, I think one thing some may be missing is that the Conservatives *have* renewed themselves in office: the manifesto they stood on in 2019 was very different to 2010, and so is their voting coalition. So, in some respects, that change of Government has already taken place - just under the same blue banner. And there's no reason that couldn't happen again.

I think that contrasts to the Thatcher/Major years, where the 1979 manifesto was jacked up through 1983 and 1987 as essentially the next step forward of the same programme, and only toned down slightly with a new face in 1992.

The Boris Govt. is significantly different to the May Govt. It felt like a change of government when May's band of Remainers First, Conservatives Second were swept away. The election just compounded that change with a lot of new faces.

No, I said faces....

Carnyx said:

Hullo.

Isn't El Gordo ruminating on some new Constitutional Settlement for the UK, at the behest of SKS ?

He's always doing that, so I rather switch off when some breathless journalist talks about his next INTERVENTION. So can't say, sorry.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,006
    stodge said:

The big race meetings today, including the Scottish Grand National, were postponed until tomorrow, and today's had a big empty gap, on account of Prince Philip's funeral.

Nigelb said:

junius said:

Your turn.

Another false dichotomy.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

junius said:

Your turn.

Another false dichotomy.
    I would cheerfully leap into Gavin Williamson’s grave.

To make sure the bastard was really dead.
    Sinovac not actually rubbish - data from Chile:
    https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1383411170669854726
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459
    The way @MaxPB is hitting it can we expect some Leon-esque ranting shortly?

:smile:

Carnyx said:

Hullo.

PS THis made me check. Hardy anything being reported, GB starting to talk to English mayors etc. so really just beginning factfinding (though Mr Sarwar and SKS may make some sort of announcement before the Scottish elections, apparently). Though this doesn't bode well for federalism - some of the arguments are very familiar from PB.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19239911.sir-tom-devine-says-libdems-plans-federal-uk-non-starter/

Were you projecting?
    Greetings from sunny Devon.

@Casino_Royale does not relate what the two gentlemen thought of the bowler hatted man in Union Jack knickerbockers and a “Never Kissed a Trot” T-shirt passing them.
    Welcome! Any luck with the floating restaurant in the Exe estuary?
This discussion has been closed.