Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Just 13 of the 31 local seats in Hartlepool on Westminster by-election day have Tory contenders – po

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,397

ridaligo said:

While I'm pleased for Leon, I won't be going to the pub until things are back to normal, and that's proper normal; no social distancing, no masks, no mandatory sitting outside and no ID cards. I refuse to feel grateful to government ministers for drip-feeding us back our right to go about our lives unhindered well past the point where covid restrictions should have been be lifted. I still can't legally visit my own house, with my own family in my own car FFS!

A very dangerous, authoritarian precedent has been set through all this and I worry that our compliance and willingness to take part in state-sponsored demonstrations of appreciation has changed our culture for the worse.

Maybe it's just me being weird ... but remain very pissed off about how this has been and is being handled.

It would be nice to think that we'd be rid of all this crap come June 21st, but I fear that you may be waiting a very long time.
    All restrictions will be lifted on 21 June - you disagree?
    Technically not before...
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 237
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

So it turns out PB is full of antisocial weirdoes who hate pubs, laughter, cafes, wine, native British oysters and a damn good boozy lunch?!

No wonder you all loved lockdown.

SORRY GUYS IT'S OVER. THE EXTROVERTS ARE BACK

Don't be an idiot.

Some of us love going to restaurants and hotel bars over pubs with our mates and colleagues.
    I'm sorry, but preferring a "hotel bar" to a pub is like preferring elevator music to the Pogues live in Brixton on St Patrick's Day

Jeez Denise
    You've never had drinks in The Fumoir in Claridge's.

Hotel bars are much nicer than pubs. FACT.
    Who the hell wants to go to a “nice” pub.
    Anyone who has ever been to an Australian pub!

When I first went to Victoria, myself and a Scottish doctor who I knew from Med School. We met at the clock's and went into the nearest pub. Grim formica, chairs bolted to the floor, all male and all drunk. We supped up and left fairly sharpish.

NZ pubs weren't much better. The bar in "Once Were Warriors" was fairly accurate social realism.

https://youtu.be/nPp8l4yYsPQ

The pubs in NZ are almost universally shite. It mortally limits the whole country. Great landscapes, pisspoor pubs.
    NZ is interesting. Some friends have moved there and never looked back (in fact, to some extent, they drop out of global modern life at the same time) whereas I know others who've come back inside 18 months - bored to tits.
    Yes, lots of people do end up coming back fairly quickly. It looks good, but is incredibly frustrating. Many towns have no decent pub or restaurant.
    The secret of successful emigration is psychological. Live as locals do. Forget restaurants and pubs, and history. If you want that, stay in Europe.

Embrace the new country, and live as the locals do, tramping, drinking Speights out of the bottle, staying in huts on the track, even go hunt pigs from horseback. I did all those things, but only on a one year visa, so had to come home.
    A friend who has moved there says that’s the whole thing: they don’t do that stuff much. Mostly it’s identikit barbecues in people’s yards, which he has to drive to. Not much horseback pig-hunting, or hut-tramping going down, by all accounts.
    So immediately there’s a drink driving issue. Or someone has to miss out.
    Exactly.
    The last NZ’ers I met were a couple on a train in Italy. It turned out they were both NZ police officers and had met on the job, and still worked at the same police station in some place I’d not heard of but it didn’t sound very big.

So I made a joke about how their town is coping with such a high proportion of their police force away on an extended european holiday, and they assured me there were dozens of police there and they made their home town sound as if it was more crime-ridden than downtown Baltimore. Whether this is true or not, i have no idea.
    While I was there, there were a number of country towns dominated by Bikie gangs, dealing drugs and fighting each other. In part it was the welfare system. You could rent a house cheaply on the dole, or even buy outright, as there was no work in the small towns, and nothing to do but feud.
    Sorry to hear about your eldest @Big_G_NorthWales.

My late uncle emigrated out there in the 70s. Had a quiet life, running various small businesses and a bit of farming. Lifestyle would have been unrecognisable from his North London origins, especially back in those days. Suited him, I guess.

The countryside, and nature is stunning, and I'd go back for another extended holiday in a heartbeat. Cultured, it is not though, and while the local produce is high quality the lack of the variety and multicultural food we take for granted here would be difficult... Auckland and Wellington may be slightly better on that front, to be fair.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

While I'm pleased for Leon, I won't be going to the pub until things are back to normal, and that's proper normal; no social distancing, no masks, no mandatory sitting outside and no ID cards. I refuse to feel grateful to government ministers for drip-feeding us back our right to go about our lives unhindered well past the point where covid restrictions should have been be lifted. I still can't legally visit my own house, with my own family in my own car FFS!

A very dangerous, authoritarian precedent has been set through all this and I worry that our compliance and willingness to take part in state-sponsored demonstrations of appreciation has changed our culture for the worse.

Maybe it's just me being weird ... but remain very pissed off about how this has been and is being handled.

Yes, I think it will be a while before normality is permitted. June 21st won't be the end of masks and social distancing, one way systems, perspex screens at bars etc etc.

It will all fizzle out much more slowly than that.
    Over how many years?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Leon said:

London is definitely alive tonight. The noisiest it has been since last summer. Possibly since the Plague began

So, I guess a modeller will be turning up all over the media in a day or two to say the additional activity above what they were expecting means there will be a massive enormous case surge in early July and so we had better lockdown again now just be careful.
    Fuck them. And fuck their weapon of choice, the lockdown sledgehammer. How about they discover some subtlety in fighting the tail end of the Plague.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,167
    Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Yes, I think it will be a while before normality is permitted. June 21st won't be the end of masks and social distancing, one way systems, perspex screens at bars etc etc.

“All restrictions” is the language chosen by the government in the public arena. If people voluntarily wear masks then there’s not much you can do about that. But it should not be mandatory, according to the language they themselves have chosen.
  • Options

ridaligo said:

It would be nice to think that we'd be rid of all this crap come June 21st, but I fear that you may be waiting a very long time.
    All restrictions will be lifted on 21 June - you disagree?
    Technically not before...
    I know “no earlier than”, except of course everyone is planning for that day, and have booked holidays and weddings based on it being that day. So that day it must be. Why would it not be?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,866

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Over how many years?
    Well, Whitty and Co. expect some restrictions next winter, but who knows. I didn't expect much of a second wave.

The Indian variant worries me. I can see that hitting Leicester again, and it does seem to have a degree of immune escape.

https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1381313381194469380?s=19
  • Options
    guybrush said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

So it turns out PB is full of antisocial weirdoes who hate pubs, laughter, cafes, wine, native British oysters and a damn good boozy lunch?!

Don't be an idiot.

Some of us love going to restaurants and hotel bars over pubs with our mates and colleagues.
    I'm sorry, but preferring a "hotel bar" to a pub is like preferring elevator music to the Pogues live in Brixton on St Patrick's Day

Jeez Denise

When I first went to Victoria, myself and a Scottish doctor who I knew from Med School. We met at the clock's and went into the nearest pub. Grim formica, chairs bolted to the floor, all male and all drunk. We supped up and left fairly sharpish.

NZ pubs weren't much better. The bar in "Once Were Warriors" was fairly accurate social realism.

The pubs in NZ are almost universally shite. It mortally limits the whole country. Great landscapes, pisspoor pubs.
    NZ is interesting. Some friends have moved there and never looked back (in fact, to some extent, they drop out of global modern life at the same time) whereas I know others who've come back inside 18 months - bored to tits.
    Yes, lots of people do end up coming back fairly quickly. It looks good, but is incredibly frustrating. Many towns have no decent pub or restaurant.
    The secret of successful emigration is psychological. Live as locals do. Forget restaurants and pubs, and history. If you want that, stay in Europe.

Embrace the new country, and live as the locals do, tramping, drinking Speights out of the bottle, staying in huts on the track, even go hunt pigs from horseback. I did all those things, but only on a one year visa, so had to come home.
    A friend who has moved there says that’s the whole thing: they don’t do that stuff much. Mostly it’s identikit barbecues in people’s yards, which he has to drive to. Not much horseback pig-hunting, or hut-tramping going down, by all accounts.
    Exactly.
    The last NZ’ers I met were a couple on a train in Italy. It turned out they were both NZ police officers and had met on the job, and still worked at the same police station in some place I’d not heard of but it didn’t sound very big.

So I made a joke about how their town is coping with such a high proportion of their police force away on an extended european holiday, and they assured me there were dozens of police there and they made their home town sound as if it was more crime-ridden than downtown Baltimore. Whether this is true or not, i have no idea.
    While I was there, there were a number of country towns dominated by Bikie gangs, dealing drugs and fighting each other. In part it was the welfare system. You could rent a house cheaply on the dole, or even buy outright, as there was no work in the small towns, and nothing to do but feud.

My late uncle emigrated out there in the 70s. Had a quiet life, running various small businesses and a bit of farming. Lifestyle would have been unrecognisable from his North London origins, especially back in those days. Suited him, I guess.

The countryside, and nature is stunning, and I'd go back for another extended holiday in a heartbeat. Cultured, it is not though, and while the local produce is high quality the lack of the variety and multicultural food we take for granted here would be difficult... Auckland and Wellington may be slightly better on that front, to be fair.
    Thank you so much

My eldest and his partner fell in love with NZ, as we did on our four visits and indeed his former partner still lives there

The earthquakes, their aftermath, and the ever present fear of more earthquakes shattered their dreams
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,040
    edited April 2021

Scott_xP said:

@Quicktake: RT @business: DEVELOPING: Police say multiple shooting victims including an officer are reported at a Knoxville, Tennessee high s… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1381703956657758211

It never ends - so sad
    Time for Big Joe to take his place in history and ban guns in the US. Amend the Bill of Rights.
    The great achievement in this country is that hardly any criminals have guns, which means that ordinary people don't feel the need to own them to protect themselves. Americans are never going to give up their guns as long as most criminals there have them.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Quicktake: RT @business: DEVELOPING: Police say multiple shooting victims including an officer are reported at a Knoxville, Tennessee high s… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1381703956657758211

It never ends - so sad
    Time for Big Joe to take his place in history and ban guns in the US. Amend the Bill of Rights.
    It would be fantastic but I cannot see it happening sadly
  • Options
    "BBC’s Prince Philip coverage breaks UK TV complaints record

110,000 people have complained, mostly about excess but also about Andrew, attire – and ease of complaining"

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/apr/12/bbcs-prince-philip-coverage-breaks-uk-tv-complaints-record
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    Someone has done a map showing current situation in US with respect to masks and vaxports.

https://twitter.com/birb_k/status/1381278909191180289

I assume it's accurate. 12 states against vaxport.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's amazing how just one night at the pub can make people feel better about the world. My wife and I met some friends at the pub tonight and the year of lockdown just faded away. It was like the scene in Lord of the Rings where gandalf lifts the spell over theoden. We're not back to being 100% but this is already much closer.

The whole place was buzzing, but glad I wore my winter parka because it's not warm out!

Yay for us! Celebrate getting closer!

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,870

Will anyone on PB NOT be visiting a pub this week?

Me.
    Also me.
    Though I suspect I'll get around to it before you do.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Over how many years?
    Well, Whitty and Co. expect some restrictions next winter, but who knows. I didn't expect much of a second wave.

The Indian variant worries me. I can see that hitting Leicester again, and it does seem to have a degree of immune escape.

Where is the research that shows it is resistant to the vaccines? Not the article, the actual research.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Re: Hartlepool, cannot claim any expertise beyond actually having spent maybe 15 minutes there over 20 years ago.

However, that will NOT stop me from sharing my learned commentary!

On the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, where Democrats have dominated the legislature since the Eisenhower Administration, but where voters regularly elect Republicans as Governor, for example Mitt Romney and current incumbent Charlie Baker (reportedly poised to launch a bid for US Senate).

Somewhat similar to how Harlepool has a Conservative mayor?

Another possible comparison in another quarter, is fact that (based on a map I saw days ago) the Social Democrats in Germany currently control quite a few local city & district councils, including in wide swaths of the country where they have done (and apparently still are doing) far less well in state AND federal elections.

So whither the Harlepool by-election? So far still in lap o' the gods territory.

Splitting tickets is relative common in the US. Voters don't always like to put all their eggs into one partisan basket and there's a feeling that if your usually-preferred party has a lock on the state legislature, it can be savvy to elect a moderate candidate from the other party to keep 'em honest. So Republican governors in otherwise true-blue New England states like Massachusetts or Rhode Island is a thing from time to time, as is Democratic governors of red states. I think Louisiana and Kansas are cases at the moment.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad
    Amending the Bill of Rights is never going to happen. The supermajority required both of Congress and States is impossible.

Lesser gun control is legislatively possible, such as bans on assault rifles etc, but I suspect would get struck down by the SCOTUS.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,519
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't be an idiot.

Jeez Denise

Exactly.

That sounds pretty much what they said. I was imagining hobbits and stunning scenery and quiet country folk and they were recounting their lives that were straight from Miami vice.

It was funny because I was travelling with the dog, and they had a young daughter who as soon as she saw it said “oh no, not a dog”, not expecting that I’d turn out to be English. I just smiled and replied straight back in English that he isn’t any trouble. Which he wasn’t, just going to sleep under the seat; their kid was far more annoying to have in the train. But it did mean that the NZ cops spent the rest of the journey being super friendly to make up for their embarassment.
    Both are true simultaneously. I could watch the sun set over the Southern Alps under an azure sky, while gangs were knocking lumps off each other making a busy night of suturing.

I think the British equivalent to rural crime is our down at heel coastal resorts. There are similar drug, delinquency, poverty and unemployment issues in some.
    The nadir was the eighties, and to an extent the image has persisted, despite slow progress in many of them. There’s still poverty and unemployment is seasonal, but they’re not the crime and drug hotspots that they once were. Can you believe that the Spyglass, which you probably know, was in the ‘80s a semi-derelict squat and notorious drug den? Right on that prime spot at the end of the Esplanade.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It's amazing how just one night at the pub can make people feel better about the world. My wife and I met some friends at the pub tonight and the year of lockdown just faded away. It was like the scene in Lord of the Rings where gandalf lifts the spell over theoden. We're not back to being 100% but this is already much closer.

The whole place was buzzing, but glad I wore my winter parka because it's not warm out!

I thought the red arrows are grounded
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad
    The great achievement in this country is that hardly any criminals have guns, which means that ordinary people don't feel the need to own them to protect themselves. Americans are never going to give up their guns as long as most criminals there have them.
    You ban the guns, you find the guns and you destroy the guns.

Your alternative plan is?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad
    Pace TSE, the typo in 'the right to bear arms' is that bear should be bare. And what better time to correct it than at the height of the warp speed roll-out. Two policy goals with one little drop of correction fluid.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad
    Amending the Bill of Rights is never going to happen. The supermajority required both of Congress and States is impossible.

Lesser gun control is legislatively possible, such as bans on assault rifles etc, but I suspect would get struck down by the SCOTUS.
    Find a way.
  • Options
    ridaligoridaligo Posts: 174
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Which is why we all have to go out and enjoy life as normally as we can NOW. Yes it is annoying we still sometimes have to wear masks, yes it is annoying we have to open windows to cold air, yes it is annoying we might - Ye Gods - have to check in with QR codes (or vaxports!) but they allow us - me - to have nice amusing pub lunches, and a semblance of normality, which will get better.

We must be vigilant in making sure these strictures do not linger. But refusing to do anything until they are all gone is dim. And economically ruinous

Opening up will be an annoyingly slow process, but at least it is process in the right direction, and irreversible (we hope) after the worst global health crisis in a century.

Baby steps, but good steps. And drunken steps. We can do this
    Leon, listen to yourself! You're the guy in the films who is tempted over to the the other side by a momentary pleasure ... only to regret it later when he realises his betrayal.

Seriously, though, I know I'm not doing my bit to help the hospitality sector recover, and I'm sad about that, but I don't think I'm being "dim". I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself knowing I was enjoying a Matt Hancock approved pint.

I will forever resent the covid-induced, permamant changes to our way of live for they will remain in place and they are already unnecessary.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    edited April 2021

Re: Hartlepool, cannot claim any expertise beyond actually having spent maybe 15 minutes there over 20 years ago.

On the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, where Democrats have dominated the legislature since the Eisenhower Administration, but where voters regularly elect Republicans as Governor, for example Mitt Romney and current incumbent Charlie Baker (reportedly poised to launch a bid for US Senate).

Another possible comparison in another quarter, is fact that (based on a map I saw days ago) the Social Democrats in Germany currently control quite a few local city & district councils, including in wide swaths of the country where they have done (and apparently still are doing) far less well in state AND federal elections.

So whither the Harlepool by-election? So far still in lap o' the gods territory.

On general recent GE polling: Labour hold - they are doing better than at the GE when they held it.
    On constituency polling (1 small one): Tory win, but allowing for usual margin of error it could be between very close and biggish Tory win.
    So it all depends on GOTV and the split of former Brexit votes (lots of them). The small poll suggests that former Brexit voters are not returning to Labour, but you have to ask if will they turn out at all.
    Labour candidate doesn't seem stellar.
    Conclusion: Personally I think Labour narrow hold but on the evidence it looks about 60/40 in favour of the Tories.

By and large everyone is predicting that their party will lose. A good sign that no-one has a clue? However the thought that Labour are playing down the significance of losing (which in truth is of course enormous) suggests it may be worse for them than I am suggesting. I should think they have a decent idea. The Tories will say nothing in advance as they have nothing to lose.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Time to get them back to celebrate!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Over how many years?

Where is the research that shows it is resistant to the vaccines? Not the article, the actual research.
    Immune escape doesn't necessarily mean vaccines. I think in India it is mostly in previously affected.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sheathed, surely?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Sheathed, surely?
    Quivering rather.
    edit: snap Turbotubs!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Sheathed, surely?
    Quivered?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035
    rpjs said:

Splitting tickets is relative common in the US. Voters don't always like to put all their eggs into one partisan basket and there's a feeling that if your usually-preferred party has a lock on the state legislature, it can be savvy to elect a moderate candidate from the other party to keep 'em honest. So Republican governors in otherwise true-blue New England states like Massachusetts or Rhode Island is a thing from time to time, as is Democratic governors of red states. I think Louisiana and Kansas are cases at the moment.
    Montana is another.
  • Options
    Old_HandOld_Hand Posts: 49
    I may have missed this earlier in the thread but have the Conservatives put forward at least one candidate in each Ward? If so, the Conservative voter would have a Conservative candidate in both elections. And of course there is a PCC election at the same time. The key point is that the Party has a candidate on every ballot paper that the elector will receive.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Sheathed, surely?
    Quivered?
    Yes, you are right. I must have been thinking of swords for some reason

Although I could claim the British Museum in my defence:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/E_Am1947-27-2-b
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 237

guybrush said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't be an idiot.

Jeez Denise

Exactly.

Thank you so much

My eldest and his partner fell in love with NZ, as we did on our four visits and indeed his former partner still lives there

The earthquakes, their aftermath, and the ever present fear of more earthquakes shattered their dreams
    Yes, I can see why many fall for the place. Have fond memories of Christchurch from when I was there a decade ago. So sad to consider the multiple tragedies that have befallen it. Hoping to get back to visit family when they open up again.

The thing I found about NZ is that it's so similar to the UK in many ways, that it lulls one into a false sense of security, and then the differences seem all the more prominent. Kind of an uncanny valley. The more direct, Australian like voice, even in official communications. The adverts in prime time for farming products. Rugby everywhere. The brilliant innovations that are the steak and cheese, and egg and bacon pie. Fantastic.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Sheathed, surely?
    Quivered?
    Yes, you are right. I must have been thinking of swords for some reason
    I think a sheaf of arrows is correct for a bunch.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad

I think that Americans have clearly decided that the right to keep weapons designed for no other purpose other than killing people, is more important than the safety of not being shot at. Shootouts are the American way, as are the even more numerous gun suicides.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Over how many years?

Immune escape doesn't necessarily mean vaccines. I think in India it is mostly in previously affected.
    According to the BBC article I have just read, what evidence there is suggests any reinfection is generally very mild in nature.

There seems to be very little/no authoritative research on it, just speculation by scientists. That, sadly, has been one of the problems of the pandemic: speculation by scientists being presented as fact.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,354

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad
    The Second Amendment is a typo.

It was all about the right to arm bears but someone misheard.
    Off Topic

Talking of arming bears I have just been reminded (The Guardian) that Prince Philip once shot a tiger.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad

I think that Americans have clearly decided that the right to keep weapons designed for no other purpose other than killing people, is more important than the safety of not being shot at. Shootouts are the American way, as are the even more numerous gun suicides.
    So it’s a natural law of physics/biology that this madness should continue? I think not. The defeatism on gun-use in the States saddens me. It can be stopped. It must be.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Old_Hand said:

I may have missed this earlier in the thread but have the Conservatives put forward at least one candidate in each Ward? If so, the Conservative voter would have a Conservative candidate in both elections. And of course there is a PCC election at the same time. The key point is that the Party has a candidate on every ballot paper that the elector will receive.

The Tories have a candidate in every ward apart from Throston where their candidate withdrew.

https://vote-2012.proboards.com/post/1082900/thread
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

On general recent GE polling: Labour hold - they are doing better than at the GE when they held it.
    On constituency polling (1 small one): Tory win, but allowing for usual margin of error it could be between very close and biggish Tory win.
    So it all depends on GOTV and the split of former Brexit votes (lots of them). The small poll suggests that former Brexit voters are not returning to Labour, but you have to ask if will they turn out at all.
    Conclusion: Personally I think Labour narrow hold but on the evidence it looks about 60/40 in favour of the Tories.

By and large everyone is predicting that their party will lose. A good sign that no-one has a clue? However the thought that Labour are playing down the significance of losing (which in truth is of course enormous) suggests it may be worse for them than I am suggesting. I should think they have a decent idea. The Tories will say nothing in advance as they have nothing to lose.
    I am certain that my party will lose!

Tory gain for me. That Brexit Party vote is not going to Labour.
  • Options
    guybrush said:

guybrush said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't be an idiot.

Jeez Denise

Exactly.

Thank you so much

Yes, I can see why many fall for the place. Have fond memories of Christchurch from when I was there a decade ago. So sad to consider the multiple tragedies that have befallen it. Hoping to get back to visit family when they open up again.

The thing I found about NZ is that it's so similar to the UK in many ways, that it lulls one into a false sense of security, and then the differences seem all the more prominent. Kind of an uncanny valley. The more direct, Australian like voice, even in official communications. The adverts in prime time for farming products. Rugby everywhere. The brilliant innovations that are the steak and cheese, and egg and bacon pie. Fantastic.
    The most striking similarity for me was that the first 13 species of wild birds I saw were all imports from the UK!! Sparrows, starlings, finches - all introduced to remind the settlers of home.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Over how many years?

According to the BBC article I have just read, what evidence there is suggests any reinfection is generally very mild in nature.

There seems to be very little/no authoritative research on it, just speculation by scientists. That, sadly, has been one of the problems of the pandemic: speculation by scientists being presented as fact.
    The kind of 'facts' that scientists present us in this area come with p-numbers, so differ from speculation only by degree.

• Options
    Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

I am certain that my party will lose!

Tory gain for me. That Brexit Party vote is not going to Labour.
    My guess is that Labour will just edge it after a recount, but it could go either way.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Over how many years?

I’d be worried if there were suddenly a lot of serious cases (hospital and death) in those with definite prior Covid. That has not been the case yet anywhere (including manaus) which I think suffered from poor reporting.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    Old_Hand said:

Yes (though in fact apparently one ward has no conservative council candidate), but having a full slate of candidates for the council wouldn't diminsh the vote elsewhere, and not even having enough local candidates to theoretically take control of the council is not very positive - I've often seen outcomes for parties where they'd have won additional seats easily, if only they had enough candidates.
  • Options

guybrush said:

guybrush said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't be an idiot.

Jeez Denise

Exactly.

Thank you so much

The most striking similarity for me was that the first 13 species of wild birds I saw were all imports from the UK!! Sparrows, starlings, finches - all introduced to remind the settlers of home.
    I bet that did wonders for the native species.

• Options
    The Forum for British Pubs estimates that at least 2,000 pubs have shut permanently over the past year.

That’s about 4-5% of them. Although, for context, about 6-700 have been closing each year for the past two decades.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,379
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Realtime report from the trenches of north London,

Today felt pivotal in all ways. Like, say, Stalingrad. BUT MORE IMPORTANT

It started off cold, grey and wintry (like almost every day this year), I went to my celebratory pub lunch with a pal in trepidation, and wearing thermals. The pub, in Highgate, had roofed over their beer garden and rigged up patio heaters for all. It was cold.

But the buzz, as soon as you walked in, was obvious. People staring at pints - pints! - in amazement. Waiters and waitresses giggly and excited. The long expected moment, arriving, finally.

Half a dozen fine British oysters, a plate of griddled padron peppers, some good sourdough, a thick Galician fish stew and 1 and a half bottles of Picpoul later, I can report that London is reborn. There is noise everywhere. The sun is properly out. Spring is here. The beer gardens are rocking and someone is playing the bagpipes.

Happy Unlockdownmas, War is Over

Why not just have a lager?
    How often does a fucking plague end?

Lager????
    A couple then. Or bitter.

Just that your complex, opulent choices seemed at odds with what an English public house is meant to be all about.

To me anyway.
    I am an Englishman, an English pub is what I choose it to be. Literally

And for me the best do fine oysters
    It's a sense of looseness and entitlement I just don't have.

I'm austere. When I visit a pub I drink pints of beer and that's it. Maybe switch to vodka when I can take no more volume but definitely not oysters or fine wines.
    Sad. Really.

Really sad.
    Way to be. It's authentic. That's what's most important in life.

But anyway, time for my evening of flesh & blood activities to commence.
    That's fair, up to you

I wonder how much of this is a faint but definite gradation by age and class.

I am maybe 10 years younger than you AT MOST. You are northern, I am southern

I grew up and moved to London not long before the gastropub revolution started: the Eagle, in Farringdon.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/apr/19/enduring-love-30-years-of-the-great-british-gastropub

It was supposedly the first but a few had been round before then (they just didn't nail the formula, bare chairs, handwritten menu, open kitchen)

So I spent my formative years expecting cool new pubs to have decent food, because in London, in my 20s and 30s, they did

Et voila
    We're about the same age and I've been in London since I was 17 so this does not explain it. No, I sense it's something more elemental and quintessentially English. The old Cavalier v Roundhead schism. A good way to understand the difference and the dynamic is to think of yourself as Michael Winner and me as Oliver Cromwell.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad

So it’s a natural law of physics/biology that this madness should continue? I think not. The defeatism on gun-use in the States saddens me. It can be stopped. It must be.
    No. In the American view, people being shot is considered part of the price of freedom.

There is also the problem that American police are not very reliable, so many Americans feel the need to protect themselves.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad

Ask yourself why Obama after 8 years was unable to make inroads on the right to bear arms. It needs more than action from Biden.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad

Off Topic

Talking of arming bears I have just been reminded (The Guardian) that Prince Philip once shot a tiger.
    It is also said that one of his grandchildren shot a couple of endangered hen harriers, rather more recently.

No prosecution - because the bodies couldn't be found on the Royal estate.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/nov/07/monarchy.wildlife
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,505

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Over how many years?

Even that wouldn't be so bad. The worst is speculation by anyone with an (even irrelevant) PhD or medical degree being presented as fact.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

guybrush said:

guybrush said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't be an idiot.

Jeez Denise

Exactly.

Thank you so much

I bet that did wonders for the native species.

Rats, cats and dogs were the bigger problem for native species.

And the idiot who introduced wasps! Beyond belief.
  • Options
    Ireland will only administer the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine to people over 60, the country’s chief medical officer said Monday, after it was linked to rare blood clotting cases, according to AFP.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Over how many years?

I’d be worried if there were suddenly a lot of serious cases (hospital and death) in those with definite prior Covid. That has not been the case yet anywhere (including manaus) which I think suffered from poor reporting.
    It is similar to the age thing. There was a loud drumbeat in the UK earlier in the winter, “covid in-patients are getting younger” “covid victims are getting younger”. It was then presented as fact that the age profile of covid had changed.

Then, weeks later, someone ploughed into the actual data.

The age profile hadn’t changed.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad

Ask yourself why Obama after 8 years was unable to make inroads on the right to bear arms. It needs more than action from Biden.
    Because, ultimately, Obama was a rather shite President?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad

No. In the American view, people being shot is considered part of the price of freedom.

There is also the problem that American police are not very reliable, so many Americans feel the need to protect themselves.
    I don’t think you speak for America.

And I know you don’t speak for all Americans.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

guybrush said:

guybrush said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't be an idiot.

Jeez Denise

Exactly.

Thank you so much

So long as NZ has those Australian magpies - the ones that aren’t actually magpies and sound like no european bird - it’ll never sound like home. It was the sound of them in Australia that always made me feel a long way from the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEYc8Ge3nw
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    Is it me, or has everyone who spent the last four months telling us Lockdown would never end, spent today telling us Lockdown will never end from a pub.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Made me laugh anyway.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The Forum for British Pubs estimates that at least 2,000 pubs have shut permanently over the past year.

That’s about 4-5% of them. Although, for context, about 6-700 have been closing each year for the past two decades.

Not entirely true. Their numbers were actually increasing in the period immediately before the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51135755
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad

I don’t think you speak for America.

And I know you don’t speak for all Americans.
    The lack of action, or reversal of progress in some cases, rather speaks to the views of the general body of the american people, even if the views they (or some of them) actually express. As we've noted before, outsiders can be simply ignorant, and we often are with america, but on this issue some potential solutions to at least mitigate the problem seem pretty apparent, if there was the will to do it. It is not unreasonable to conclude a lack of will.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

It started off cold, grey and wintry (like almost every day this year), I went to my celebratory pub lunch with a pal in trepidation, and wearing thermals. The pub, in Highgate, had roofed over their beer garden and rigged up patio heaters for all. It was cold.

But the buzz, as soon as you walked in, was obvious. People staring at pints - pints! - in amazement. Waiters and waitresses giggly and excited. The long expected moment, arriving, finally.

Half a dozen fine British oysters, a plate of griddled padron peppers, some good sourdough, a thick Galician fish stew and 1 and a half bottles of Picpoul later, I can report that London is reborn. There is noise everywhere. The sun is properly out. Spring is here. The beer gardens are rocking and someone is playing the bagpipes.

Lager????

Just that your complex, opulent choices seemed at odds with what an English public house is meant to be all about.

To me anyway.

I'm austere. When I visit a pub I drink pints of beer and that's it. Maybe switch to vodka when I can take no more volume but definitely not oysters or fine wines.
    Sad. Really.

Really sad.

That's fair, up to you

I grew up and moved to London not long before the gastropub revolution started: the Eagle, in Farringdon.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/apr/19/enduring-love-30-years-of-the-great-british-gastropub

It was supposedly the first but a few had been round before then (they just didn't nail the formula, bare chairs, handwritten menu, open kitchen)

So I spent my formative years expecting cool new pubs to have decent food, because in London, in my 20s and 30s, they did

Et voila
    We're about the same age and I've been in London since I was 17 so this does not explain it. No, I sense it's something more elemental and quintessentially English. The old Cavalier v Roundhead schism. A good way to understand the difference and the dynamic is to think of yourself as Michael Winner and me as Oliver Cromwell.
    This is one of the most bizarre conversations ever to grace PB in its 17 year history.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Old_Hand said:

Insofar as I can make out, Hartlepool appears to elect its entire council in one go rather than in thirds. There are thirty outgoing councillors (no idea if there are any vacancies) and it appears that they're going to be electing thirty-six new ones next month - three from each of twelve wards. The SOPN indicates that the Tories are fielding one candidate in every ward except for the Rural West ward, where they have three sitting councillors who are all standing for re-election. This would imply that the Conservatives are fielding 14 of 36 seats, and not 13 of 31 as suggested by the thread header. Relevant sources:

https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/downloads/file/6766/notice_of_election_-_local_government_elections_6_may_2021

https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/info/20033/elections_and_voting/1037/local_government_elections_-_6_may_2021/3

Beyond that, we obviously have the Hartlepool by-election, the PCC election for the Cleveland force area, and the Tees Valley mayoral election. So yes: every "lucky" elector in Hartlepool gets the chance to vote Conservative at least four times.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Over how many years?

Even that wouldn't be so bad. The worst is speculation by anyone with an (even irrelevant) PhD or medical degree being presented as fact.
    I am not a lockdown enthusiast, and am keen to end it sooner and more completely. My only exception to this is borders. These should stay closed until the variants are better understood in terms of immune escape. There are signals that the AZN has less effect on the South African version, for example. We need more data on this.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Over how many years?

I am not a lockdown enthusiast, and am keen to end it sooner and more completely. My only exception to this is borders. These should stay closed until the variants are better understood in terms of immune escape. There are signals that the AZN has less effect on the South African version, for example. We need more data on this.
    Fair enough. I agree with you on this.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Lager????

To me anyway.

Sad. Really.

Really sad.

That's fair, up to you

Et voila
    This is one of the most bizarre conversations ever to grace PB in its 17 year history.
    I'm just disappointed not to have a Civil War comparison with Leon to go with the Cromwell comparison. I was thinking Henry Marten, but he was a republican

Marten enjoyed good living. He had a contemporary reputation as a heavy drinker and was widely said to be a man of loose morals.[2] According to John Aubrey he was "a great lover of pretty girls to whom he was so liberal that he spent the greatest part of his estate" upon them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Marten_(regicide)
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

I have put a lot into this and I'm calling a Tory win.

But I disagree with the significance of that being enormous. Not now. It would have gone Tory at the GE but for the BXP vote and the GE was not long ago. The Cons have delivered a good hard Brexit and we are coming out of the pandemic thanks to vaccines for which the government is getting the credit. These things outweigh the electoral benefit to Labour of not having Corbyn. Starmer has not yet cut through. He's a neutral at best. Johnson OTOH is an asset.

No, this is a Tory seat right now. It's the capital of WWC Leave. The Tories own that demographic. They will win it. Perhaps quite easily. The greater genuine significance is if I'm wrong and they don't. If Labour hold on. That would tell us that they are not quite as doomed longer term - eg for GE24 - as many are thinking.

See, some people DO have a clue. ☺
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Lager????

To me anyway.

Sad. Really.

Really sad.

That's fair, up to you

Et voila
    No, it is the oldest culture war...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,099

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't be an idiot.

Jeez Denise
    Only saw them at the Brixton Academy at Christmas, 1988.

Also saw them in Birmingham same time in 1987. The place had a Christmas tree just off the to the left of the stage. Mosh-pit side. I vividly remember the entire audience moving as one, and at some point, the whole body of people changed direction like a typewriter going ping and the entire carriage resetting. The momentum of hundreds of people hit me with sufficient force, I was hurled into that Christmas tree.

Fucking brilliant gigs, And me, sober, the only person who can remember anything about them!
    So, it turns out there are things about cities you like...
    Liked.

I grew up.
    If love of live music is a sign of immaturity, then I embrace immaturity.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't be an idiot.

Jeez Denise
    Only saw them at the Brixton Academy at Christmas, 1988.

Also saw them in Birmingham same time in 1987. The place had a Christmas tree just off the to the left of the stage. Mosh-pit side. I vividly remember the entire audience moving as one, and at some point, the whole body of people changed direction like a typewriter going ping and the entire carriage resetting. The momentum of hundreds of people hit me with sufficient force, I was hurled into that Christmas tree.

Fucking brilliant gigs, And me, sober, the only person who can remember anything about them!
    So, it turns out there are things about cities you like...
    Liked.

I grew up.
    If love of live music is a sign of immaturity, then I embrace immaturity.
    Which brings us back to Radiohead, live.....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Old_Hand said:

Yes (though in fact apparently one ward has no conservative council candidate), but having a full slate of candidates for the council wouldn't diminsh the vote elsewhere, and not even having enough local candidates to theoretically take control of the council is not very positive - I've often seen outcomes for parties where they'd have won additional seats easily, if only they had enough candidates.
    Hartlepool is a rather exotic authority though. The present composition includes Labour, Tories, Socialist Labour (the Scargill mob, I believe,) all manner of independents and small local independent groups, the For Britain Movement (minor far-right party that broke away from Ukip,) another minor party founded by some army veterans, and RefUK. Labour are fielding a lot more candidates for the council than the Conservatives, but whether they'll get significantly closer to winning control is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    dr_spyn said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad

After the Aurora shooting I thought what will it take to change the minds of Americans? I wondered if something like Dunblane would do it, God forbid it obviously, and then Sandy Hook happened. If America will tolerate small children being massacred no conceivable shooting incident will change their minds. Since Sandy Hook further incidents like the large scale shootings in Orlando and Las Vegas (nearly 500 shot) have reinforced my view. I honestly believe that even something like Beslan occuring, with hundreds dead, wouldn't change America.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53511877

It's hard not to look at the Scotland covid numbers and wonder "what the fuck is it we're waiting for here?"
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Lager????

To me anyway.

Sad. Really.

Really sad.

That's fair, up to you

Et voila
    Especially since the bloke I'm talking to seems to have disappeared.

Why do I bother, Andy? You tell me.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't be an idiot.

Jeez Denise

That'll be me then..... Life's Designated Driver. Ferrying around pissed people. What joy.....
    Of course, in cities there is Uber and public transport.

But your services to pissed people are recognised and appreciated.
  • Options

It's hard not to look at the Scotland covid numbers and wonder "what the fuck is it we're waiting for here?"

For England to fuck up.....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

But I disagree with the significance of that being enormous. Not now. It would have gone Tory at the GE but for the BXP vote and the GE was not long ago. The Cons have delivered a good hard Brexit and we are coming out of the pandemic thanks to vaccines for which the government is getting the credit. These things outweigh the electoral benefit to Labour of not having Corbyn. Starmer has not yet cut through. He's a neutral at best. Johnson OTOH is an asset.

No, this is a Tory seat right now. It's the capital of WWC Leave. The Tories own that demographic. They will win it. Perhaps quite easily. The greater genuine significance is if I'm wrong and they don't. If Labour hold on. That would tell us that they are not quite as doomed longer term - eg for GE24 - as many are thinking.

Although the notion that the Tories will win at a canter does rather rest on the 2019 BXP vote (a) bothering to turn out and (b) breaking heavily for the Conservatives if they do. Motivation to vote in the first place seems like the greater issue.

I'm sticking to a modest Labour win on a very low turnout. But we shall know the truth of it soon enough.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Breaking: Phase I is over. All over 50s, all vulnerable, all health and social care workers have been vaccinated.

Open indoors no later than 3 weeks from now. Wasting May only opening up late May is criminal.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    So post-plague PB drinks venue needs fosters and oysters. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,230
    On topic: I have projected LAB hold Hartlepool on here previously.

No support for CON in Hartlepool.

LAB rampers on here suggesting CON win are wrong. LAB loss would be worse for them than Bermondsey 1983.

Thank u, next 👍
  • Options

Quite. If things go badly down South then Sturgeon's loyal voters will praise her for being cautious. If, on the other hand, and as we all hope, they go well, then Sturgeon's loyal voters will still forgive her for being cautious anyway. She has nothing to lose by foot dragging, especially with the UK Government picking up the tab for furlough.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It never ends - so sad

I thought they were pre-empting sharia law and it was about bare arms.
  • Options

Breaking: Phase I is over. All over 50s, all vulnerable, all health and social care workers have been vaccinated.

Open indoors no later than 3 weeks from now. Wasting May only opening up late May is criminal.

I am quite sure we will be made to wait the full five weeks anyway. That I can put up with. It's the likelihood of substantial restrictions (with ID cards yet to come) continuing post-June 21st that really troubles me.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I'm not happy to put up with it. Enough is enough.

May is one of the best months of the year and to have it pissed away out of stubbornness is ridiculous. The data can not defend us being locked down anymore, its intolerable.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Quite. If things go badly down South then Sturgeon's loyal voters will praise her for being cautious. If, on the other hand, and as we all hope, they go well, then Sturgeon's loyal voters will still forgive her for being cautious anyway. She has nothing to lose by foot dragging, especially with the UK Government picking up the tab for furlough.
    Because of the election we don't even have the opportunity of a journalist asking a difficult question at the daily briefing.

Absolutely sick of it now
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,579
    Leon said:

Still nothing on the Masterchef final.

Want a bet on Tom V Alexina?
    I'm afraid I have no idea who will win, though if I were a television producer looking for a newer, younger, cheaper Nigella...
  • Options

70 days to 21 June. Not sure it will be 'no legal restrictions'...
  • Options

May is one of the best months of the year and to have it pissed away out of stubbornness is ridiculous. The data can not defend us being locked down anymore, its intolerable.

Just do what everyone else is and break the rules
  • Options

There is anger in Wales that England has opened up as Drakeford keeps lockdown and of course to border towns fury as Welsh residents can now drive into England and enjoy English freedoms

Welsh business is furious
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ridaligo said:

Over how many years?

The kind of 'facts' that scientists present us in this area come with p-numbers, so differ from speculation only by degree.

The worst example of this being the flurry of stories about the South Africa variant evading the Pfizer vaccine - based upon a higher proportion of people in hospitals having the SA strain than other strains.

Which suggests - sure - that Pfizer is less efficacious against the SA strain. But it omits the really rather important point that the vaccine still seems to have absolutely crushed the 'R' of all the virus variants, and Israel is rapidly heading towards negligible CV19 cases despite the most open economy in the Western developed world.
  • Options

On topic: I have projected LAB hold Hartlepool on here previously.

No support for CON in Hartlepool.

LAB rampers on here suggesting CON win are wrong. LAB loss would be worse for them than Bermondsey 1983.

Thank u, next 👍

What no-one can explain is what is the motivation for Labour voters to turn out in May?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eek said:

You know we were talking about Deliveroo last week

Well Uber has published new figures and it is on target to delivery $52bn of food over the next year worldwide

https://twitter.com/benedictevans/status/1381632619004235779

Uber’s delivery business is at a run-rate of $52bn. 🤯 (Though total 2019 US restaurant spending was $770bn) https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0001543151/84bcb1ae-108c-493b-a622-c8fcd2bb29b7.pdf

It also says there will be an impact due to the Employment tribunal result and there are other tax issues in the UK (which is the VAT case we talked about on Friday).

Run rate

I love run rate

We have a concept called Pro Forma Adjusted Run Rate EBITDA (also known as “Rothschild Run Rate”) which roughly translates as “these forecasts are utter bullshit”
  • Options
    edited April 2021

There is anger in Wales that England has opened up as Drakeford keeps lockdown and of course to border towns fury as Welsh residents can now drive into England and enjoy English freedoms

Now: First Minister Drakeford, propped up by a Lib Dem
    Next month: First Minister Drakeford, propped up by Plaid Cymru

Both Scotland and Wales have a single, immovable governing party. The only point of transitory interest is whether that party wins outright, or has to co-opt a junior partner. The rest is noise.

EDIT: That said, the opposition in England has grown so feeble that we might be headed in that direction ourselves, too. This really isn't at all healthy.
  • Options

You can go to England for non essential travel. Are you going to Chester to get on the beers?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited April 2021

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Although the notion that the Tories will win at a canter does rather rest on the 2019 BXP vote (a) bothering to turn out and (b) breaking heavily for the Conservatives if they do. Motivation to vote in the first place seems like the greater issue.

I'm sticking to a modest Labour win on a very low turnout. But we shall know the truth of it soon enough.
    Assuming the Brexit Party vote goes Tory then it should be an easy Tory win, in 2019 the combined Tory and Brexit Party vote was 55% in Hartlepool, even higher than the combined Tory and Brexit Party vote of 46% across the UK as a whole.

Hartlepool was also 69.6% Leave in 2016, one of the highest Leave votes in the country.

If Labour are able to still hold Hartlepool therefore that will be a big boost to Starmer and a blow to Boris as it will show working class Leave voters are returning to their traditional Labour allegiance in the Red Wall now Brexit has been delivered
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Assuming the Brexit Party vote goes Tory then it should be an easy Tory win, in 2019 the combined Tory and Brexit Party vote was 55%, even higher the combined Tory and Brexit Party vote of 46% across the UK as a whole.

Hartlepool was also 69.6% Leave in 2016, one of the highest Leave votes in the country.

If Labour are able to still hold Hartlepool therefore that will be a big boost to Starmer and a blow to Boris as it will show working class Leave voters are returning to their traditional Labour allegience in the Red Wall now Brexit has been delivered
    No HYUFD. LAB is a nailed on hold in Hartlepool. No comfort for LAB at all. Maybe if they win by 30%.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Just do what everyone else is and break the rules
    I'm not just talking about the social rules, but businesses too. Many businesses can't afford to reopen if its outdoors only.

The hospitality industry has been on life support for the past year but not all months are created equal. January is shit, nobody missed that. On the other hand May is one of the best months of the year for the hospitality trade: with spring and the unofficial start of summer weather, 2 bank holidays, the end of the Premier League, Champions League semi final and final and so on.

And we're going to piss away most of that because of what? When there's negligible cases, negligible hospitalisations and negligible deaths - and all Phase I people are vaccinated.

All Phase I people have been vaccinated, that vaccine is live within 3 weeks, by Bank Holiday Monday we ought to see life and businesses reopened. Enough is enough. 😠
    Yes I agree with all that with bells on.
  • Options

You can go to England for non essential travel. Are you going to Chester to get on the beers?
    I don't drink but I expect Wrexham may have seen an exodus of drinkers to Chester
This discussion has been closed.