Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Apart from one poll Salmond’s Alba party looks doomed – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited April 2021
    TimT said:

Wasn't this quite a factor in previous delays for German vaccinations? Shame that the PB German correspondent has been bullied off..

https://twitter.com/RachLoxton/status/1380169402302263300?s=20

I thought kamski objected to being called German. A Brit in Germany, I believe. ;)
    "X correspondent" does not mean the corrrespondent is from X, just reporting from X of course.

But with the process better and now with supply, Germany at least should do fine from this point on.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

If Salmond fails to win a seat so also disappears any pressure Sturgeon might feel to declare UDI if the SNP win a majority and hold a referendum and Boris as is likely ignores the result.

Out of interest, is there any credible outcome of the Holyrood elections that isn't a big win for the Conservatives/Union in your opinion?
    If the Nationalists win a majority then Boris can continue to press home that failing to vote Tory at the 2024 UK general election means a minority Labour government with Starmer propped up by the SNP and a divisive indyref2 that Boris would keep refusing.

If Unionists win a majority then that of course removes the chance of Sturgeon even trying for an indyref2 anyway
    Not propped up. Supported by.

Will be doing this correction until you drop it. Let's see who blinks first.
    Neither is correct. 'Controlled by' is the term that would describe the reality of the situation. And just like in 2015, the voters will notice that reality too.
    Always the partisan angle with you.

I can never utilize one of my favourite barbs - "the mask slips" - because you don't bother wearing one.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    edited April 2021
    Fine. Get Boris Johnson to go back to the EU and ask for Theresa May's deal, UK-wide customs union etc to be re-instated. Why not? None of his current deal is working well.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Cookie said:

So what's the story here - does Sputnik not work as well as claimed?
    Is this the vaccine Germany is procuring lots of?
    Who knows? But if I had to guess, I'd say the likelihood is that the quality control and batch testing is the problem. It's not easy making these vaccines in large quantity, and I suspect that the Russian processes aren't as rigorous as they might be, especially given the pressure from Putin and his thugs to get them out of the door.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    The Russian response is stupid. And each time stuff like this happens, it gives the anti-vax mob more ammunition.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729
    rcs1000 said:

Biden: Homicide is the leading cause of African American males aged 15-34

Jeez. That's terrible.

Really, I thought it was sexual intercourse.
    I was going to argue that it was the lack of homocide of males aged 14 and under...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    edited April 2021
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

If Salmond fails to win a seat so also disappears any pressure Sturgeon might feel to declare UDI if the SNP win a majority and hold a referendum and Boris as is likely ignores the result.

Out of interest, is there any credible outcome of the Holyrood elections that isn't a big win for the Conservatives/Union in your opinion?
    If the Nationalists win a majority then Boris can continue to press home that failing to vote Tory at the 2024 UK general election means a minority Labour government with Starmer propped up by the SNP and a divisive indyref2 that Boris would keep refusing.

If Unionists win a majority then that of course removes the chance of Sturgeon even trying for an indyref2 anyway

Neither is correct. 'Controlled by' is the term that would describe the reality of the situation. And just like in 2015, the voters will notice that reality too.

I can never utilize one of my favourite barbs - "the mask slips" - because you don't bother wearing one.
    "Always the partisan angle with you."

Pot, kettle, person of colour?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I can only assume all violence in Northern Ireland prior to 2016 was a good reason to leave the EU. Of course that's nonsense much like what we saw last night has much to do with Brexit. Given it paled in comparison to the scenes in Bristol perhaps it's time we offered up Clifton and Fishponds to Von der Leyen in exchange for their Astra Zeneca supplies.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

If the Holyrood election proves a total scrub for the dinosaurs (not impossible imo), perhaps a reality show can be made with them all living in a house; Salmond, Sheridan, Craig Murray, Sillars, Galloway et al, Rula Lenska coming in occasionally to feed them. George could give them tips on avoiding televised behaviour that may prevent anyone taking them seriously ever again.

Sure to be a massive bidding war between RT and GB News for the rights.

☺ - Voice over Andrew Neil. Total winner.
    No, Craig Cash off Gogglebox.
  • Options
    The shame is that Sputnik V is probably a good vaccine. It's the Russian system that's mucking it up. You need the reliable data and you need to authorise by the book.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    The Slovaks or the Russians?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Scott_xP said:
    There absolutely is legitimisation of violence in Northern Ireland. Both the main factions are at it constantly, with their constant petty squabbles and hyper sensitivity to 'outside' interference whilst also craving it. Their behaviour indicates that no matter their words.

I do not doubt that they don't want a full return to violence of the past. But I also have no doubt that the politicians there are very content for the potential of violence returning at any moment to continue forever.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The shame is that Sputnik V is probably a good vaccine. It's the Russian system that's mucking it up. You need the reliable data and you need to authorise by the book.
    Sputnik V is now going through a proper testing process, and my guess is that it will turn out to be absolutely fine.

That being said, Russia does not have massive vaccine manufacturing capability, so the idea that they will flood the world with hundreds of millions - or even tens of millions - of doses is absurd.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    There absolutely is legitimisation of violence in Northern Ireland. Both the main factions are at it constantly, with their constant petty squabbles and hyper sensitivity to 'outside' interference whilst also craving it. Their behaviour indicates that no matter their words.

I do not doubt that they don't want a full return to violence of the past. But I also have no doubt that the politicians there are very content for the potential of violence returning at any moment to continue forever.
    They also want the right for 71 people to claim to have been in a 4 foot by 3 foot toilet, when a murder was happening in a bar. And to be believed, completely. And for their names not to be published. Anything else "Would threaten the peace process".
  • Options

Brom said:

Brom said:

One thing I've never understood while encountering the Scott P style "Bozo is a loser, the UK is awful" parts of the internet is where this oft quoted "150,000 dead" figure comes from. Given our rather liberal reporting of covid deaths sits around the 126k mark are they privy to some statistics I'm not, are they predicting the future or do they just round up all numbers to the nearest 50,000?

Both figures are from the government stats.

The 128k figure is for deaths within 28 days of a positive test.

The 150k is deaths with Covid-19 listed as a cause on the death certificate.

Edit - IIRC it is top of the government's Covid-19 dashboard.
    It seems that the 150k is very rarely used by any politicians, scientists or journalists across the globe. I haven't seen it used by the Beeb for example on the 10 o clock news.

So seems like just a case of 'I'll pick the higher number other people aren't using because the worst case scenario suits my argument".
    Boris Johnson recently cited the higher figures in a press conference, as did the CMO, JVT in other press conferences.

Whitty, Vallance, and JVT have often used the higher figure to contextualise things.
    One of the things that British officialdom can't reasonably be accused of, it would seem, is producing wildly inaccurate figures, whether by accident or design.

Compare, if you will, to Russia, where the official Covid death toll is about 100k but the excess death count for the pandemic period is closer to half-a-million (which, on a per capita basis, would be about twice as bad as the United States.)

It's why you've also heard more than once at the UK Government pressers that, in the long run, the best relative international measure of deaths in the pandemic is liable to come from the excess death statistics. They're the numbers least likely to be corrupted.
    Spot on.

And you also need to look at excess deaths as % of regular deaths, rather than per million - otherwise you're just measuring how many old people there are in your country.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

No, I must reject that. My rep on here is "objective to a fault" and it's surely merited.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Rishi Sunak publishes text messages to David Cameron from last year

This reflects quite well on Sunak and very poorly for Dodgy Dave. Will be interesting to see if Cameron has anything that can lift his reputation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

Sputnik V is now going through a proper testing process, and my guess is that it will turn out to be absolutely fine.

That being said, Russia does not have massive vaccine manufacturing capability, so the idea that they will flood the world with hundreds of millions - or even tens of millions - of doses is absurd.
    What gives me some level of confidence in Sputnik V is that the Gamaleya Institute produced a well-regarded ebola vaccine, which has been the proving ground for several successful Covid vaccines.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

One thing I've never understood while encountering the Scott P style "Bozo is a loser, the UK is awful" parts of the internet is where this oft quoted "150,000 dead" figure comes from. Given our rather liberal reporting of covid deaths sits around the 126k mark are they privy to some statistics I'm not, are they predicting the future or do they just round up all numbers to the nearest 50,000?

It seems that the 150k is very rarely used by any politicians, scientists or journalists across the globe. I haven't seen it used by the Beeb for example on the 10 o clock news.

So seems like just a case of 'I'll pick the higher number other people aren't using because the worst case scenario suits my argument".
    Boris Johnson recently cited the higher figures in a press conference, as did the CMO, JVT in other press conferences.

Whitty, Vallance, and JVT have often used the higher figure to contextualise things.
    One of the things that British officialdom can't reasonably be accused of, it would seem, is producing wildly inaccurate figures, whether by accident or design.

Compare, if you will, to Russia, where the official Covid death toll is about 100k but the excess death count for the pandemic period is closer to half-a-million (which, on a per capita basis, would be about twice as bad as the United States.)

It's why you've also heard more than once at the UK Government pressers that, in the long run, the best relative international measure of deaths in the pandemic is liable to come from the excess death statistics. They're the numbers least likely to be corrupted.
    Spot on.

And you also need to look at excess deaths as % of regular deaths, rather than per million - otherwise you're just measuring how many old people there are in your country.
    Slight issue there is in the definition of "regular deaths". Comparing with the average of pre-pandemic deaths over the previous ten years would be better than just the year before, but then you bring in fluctuating population numbers the more years you include.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

No, I must reject that. My rep on here is "objective to a fault" and it's surely merited.
    I suspect none of us are great at predicting what our own rep is...

:)
  • Options
    Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Slight issue there is in the definition of "regular deaths". Comparing with the average of pre-pandemic deaths over the previous ten years would be better than just the year before, but then you bring in fluctuating population numbers the more years you include.
    Compromise on the average of the last three years deaths. :smile:
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    FF43 said:

Fine. Get Boris Johnson to go back to the EU and ask for Theresa May's deal, UK-wide customs union etc to be re-instated. Why not? None of his current deal is working well.
    Actually not a bad idea. I suspect all those who foamed about Theresa's deal would quietly disappear if it had Boris's imprimatur.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Actually not a bad idea. I suspect all those who foamed about Theresa's deal would quietly disappear if it had Boris's imprimatur.
    Well not all - he voted for it in the end after all, and that didn't prevent the awkward squad, who actually believed what they were saying, from still saying no.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

@rcs1000 if States gets Green Lit for international travel from 17 May and USA plays ball we may organise a last minute half term trip. Florida (Sarasota) and Arizona (Phoenix) are in the mix - which is best option given virus prevalence and vaccination uptake in those states would you say?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

@rcs1000 if States gets Green Lit for international travel from 17 May and USA plays ball we may organise a last minute half term trip. Florida (Sarasota) and Arizona (Phoenix) are in the mix - which is best option given virus prevalence and vaccination uptake in those states would you say?
    Do you like your heat dry or wet?
  • Options
    TimT said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

At this point I'm not fussy to be honest. I've been to both many times. Anna Maria Island near Sarasota is a favourite destination for us. I just can't wait to get off this island.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Seriously, both seem to be underperforming nationwide vaccination efforts by about 50%. You might find this site useful: https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/
  • Options

Which suits the Conservatives down to the ground, bearing in mind the three possible outcomes of Indyref2:

(a) Yes wins, Boris Johnson then goes down in history as the Prime Minister who lost the Union and probably has to resign
    (b) No wins, Scotland's nationalist voters get even more pissed off and the SNP continues to win Scottish elections ad infinitum - in which case, what was the point?
    (b) No wins, the wind goes right out of the SNP's sails, and Scottish voters decide to vote for parties that might actually sit in a UK Government. Result: the bulk of them go back to Labour, and it becomes substantially easier for Labour to win a General Election

The incentive for the current Government to concede a referendum, regardless of how large a majority can be found for it at Holyrood, is therefore exactly nil.
    In the short, and therefore to Johnson the only important, term, you are absolutely right. The SNP, and the people of Scotland generally, aren't going to say, "Aw shucks, I guess that's it, let's embrace everything Johnson stands for."

This is how Johnson delegitimises the United Kingdom. Nicola Sturgeon will, if she is as astute as I think she is, will create a consensus in Scotland around that illegitimacy.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

France is going to be in lockdown for some time if they want to slow COVID down.

R=1.2 ish.

As long as the six months we will have been in by June?
    Yes, since they entered their second national lockdown in October 2020 and haven't left it since. So they're already at six months and counting.
    France lockdown =/= UK lockdown in terms of restrictions.
    You wanted to count the UK lockdown until June, June is the lifting of restrictions on capacity in stadiums and reopening nightclubs etc

France's have had all restaurants closed by law since October 2020. That's being lifted in the UK in May. So if you're going until June there's no way not to count from October when restaurants were closed for France.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect none of us are great at predicting what our own rep is...

:)
    That's true. And even trying to is a sign of fragility. So I'm going to pretend I was kidding.
  • Options

A streaker ran through our local church on Sunday.

The police chased him around the pews a bit, before they caught him by the organ

Ouch.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    MattW said:

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

France is going to be in lockdown for some time if they want to slow COVID down.

R=1.2 ish.

As long as the six months we will have been in by June?
    Given the competence of Mons. Macaron...
    The end of May would not surprise me.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776

Remainers voted against a brexit where Britain is knee deep in apparently vital vaccines?

Yeah right.
    We would have been even without Brexit. Our pharma sector is huge. Participation in the EU procurement program would almost certainly been dodged by a UK government. The only "victory for Brexit" is, like Brexit itself, a simplistic load of bollox
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    On topic

It couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Remainers voted against a brexit where Britain is knee deep in apparently vital vaccines?

Yeah right.
    We would have been even without Brexit. Our pharma sector is huge. Participation in the EU procurement program would almost certainly been dodged by a UK government. The only "victory for Brexit" is, like Brexit itself, a simplistic load of bollox
    genuinely funny
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    "Philip Roth was right about our online witch-hunts
    The American novelist foresaw the modern mania for denouncing anyone who doesn’t conform to the new puritanism
    David Aaronovitch"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/philip-roth-was-right-about-our-online-witch-hunts-mlm85zj3d
  • Options

A streaker ran through our local church on Sunday.

The police chased him around the pews a bit, before they caught him by the organ

Ouch.
    Ah, I mentioned "1066 and All That" earlier where I think that joke may have originated: "Whereupon the Knights pursued Belloc and murdered him in the organ at Canterbury Cathedral. Belloc was therefore made a Saint and the Knights came to be called the Canterbury Pilgrims."
  • Options
    What no-one knows is whether the Alba vote will be concentrated in certain areas, like Salmond's North East region.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

TimT said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

At this point I'm not fussy to be honest. I've been to both many times. Anna Maria Island near Sarasota is a favourite destination for us. I just can't wait to get off this island.
    We were going to do the big US roadtrip about now but it's had to go on ice. Hope it still happens at some point. I particularly want to do the deep south. See what I make of it. See what they make of me.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    Brom said:

I can only assume all violence in Northern Ireland prior to 2016 was a good reason to leave the EU. Of course that's nonsense much like what we saw last night has much to do with Brexit. Given it paled in comparison to the scenes in Bristol perhaps it's time we offered up Clifton and Fishponds to Von der Leyen in exchange for their Astra Zeneca supplies.

Dont tell Scott that, it has given him a reason for reposting tweets on here again.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

What no-one knows is whether the Alba vote will be concentrated in certain areas, like Salmond's North East region.

Salmond's North East region?

I need to get my mind out of the gutter.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Saying whatever I like is simply a pleasure of mine; that it happens to make some of your favourite tactics less useful is just a side bonus.

Unless of course my frontless parrhesia is itself but a mimesis, a mask within a mask...

< Deep >
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Both too hot in May. Certainly Phoenix is. Go north of there, try the Shenandoah for example, or Colorado (where the elevation cools thing down, the mountains in springtime can be glorious).
  • Options
    isam said:
    Sleazy Cam. Bit disappointed in him.
  • Options

Yeah right.
    genuinely funny
    I would hazard a guess that my knowledge of the pharma industry gives me a reasonable perspective. You are not quite in the same ludicrous fantasy world of Philip Thompson, but I think based on your unintentionally funny pronouncement on most matters, this is not an area of expertise for you! Your nom de plume is a give away for your ludicrous and sad perspective on life. Keep taking the tablets.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TimT said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

We were going to do the big US roadtrip about now but it's had to go on ice. Hope it still happens at some point. I particularly want to do the deep south. See what I make of it. See what they make of me.
    Just a brilliant country to drive around, as long as you avoid the summer outside the far north. In spring and autumn the climate in much of the States is lovely.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Salmond's North East region?

I need to get my mind out of the gutter.
    I assume that would be a very unpleasant smelling armpit
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TimT said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Just a brilliant country to drive around, as long as you avoid the summer outside the far north. In spring and autumn the climate in much of the States is lovely.
    A great place to drive around. Reveal a British accent and the hospitality usually improves dramatically.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Saying whatever I like is simply a pleasure of mine; that it happens to make some of your favourite tactics less useful is just a side bonus.

Unless of course my frontless parrhesia is itself but a mimesis, a mask within a mask...

< Deep >
    Scissors Stone Paper. That's what all this boils down to. And it is deep - in the right hands. ☺
  • Options

Yeah right.
    genuinely funny
    I would hazard a guess that my knowledge of the pharma industry gives me a reasonable perspective. You are not quite in the same ludicrous fantasy world of Philip Thompson, but I think based on your unintentionally funny pronouncement on most matters, this is not an area of expertise for you! Your nom de plume is a give away for your ludicrous and sad perspective on life. Keep taking the tablets.
    Nobody does bile like Remainers. World class
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

Yeah right.
    Programme.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    16 candidates in Hartlepool:

SDP, Loony, NE Party, Women's Equality Party, Green,
    Ind: [Adam Gaines], LD, Freedom Alliance, No Description: [Chris Killick], Ind: [Sam Lee],
    Heritage Party, Con, Reform UK, Ind: [Thelma Walker], Ind: [Ralph Ward-Jackson], Lab

https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/news/article/2191/hartlepool_parliamentary_by-election_-_statement_of_persons_nominated
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

Yeah right.
    genuinely funny
    You are truly harsh on yourself there.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747

Yeah right.
    Nope.

We would have eagerly participated in the EU Recovery Fund, as, due to our high death toll, we could have expected a hefty wodge of cash

After that, even if we had done our own vaccine thing, once it became obvious we had loads of jabs and the EU had about 3, they would have asked us to share them, and, morally, having just taken the EU's money we would have been obliged to yield to their request. Hence. no vaccine boost for non-Brexit Britain
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Does anyone have any whisky recommendations? My taste being - favourite ever, a half glass that I had of the Black Bowmore, but also I really like a blended whisky called 'MacDonald's Glencoe' (no doubt for tourists, but I like it). I'm a great fan of Japanese whisky too.

I've generally stuck to the Bowmore distillery, their 'darkest' was good, but I've been underwhelmed by them recently.

Anyway I'd be interested to hear any suggestions.

• Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TimT said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Summer in the Deep Deep South is also best avoided. New Orleans in August? Eeek

• Options

Yeah right.
    genuinely funny
    Au contraire, I think most "Remainers" are quite polite and reserved. I choose not to fit into either category when calling out bollox by people that believe in the fairy tales that were spun by lying little toads like Boris Johnson.

There is a certain irony in you calling yourself a "contrarian" when you are clearly unable to see the ridiculousness of the Brexit cause, and find ways to argue against it. All your posts suggest you are a brainwashed Brexit conformist without the slightest ability to think for yourself.
  • Options

Yeah right.
    Programme.
    Thank you for the pedantry. Always enjoyable. Most appreciated.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    kinabalu said:

isam said:
    Sleazy Cam. Bit disappointed in him.
    Yes, #metoo

He is made for life anyway, why play this game?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yeah right.
    Nope.

We would have eagerly participated in the EU Recovery Fund, as, due to our high death toll, we could have expected a hefty wodge of cash

After that, even if we had done our own vaccine thing, once it became obvious we had loads of jabs and the EU had about 3, they would have asked us to share them, and, morally, having just taken the EU's money we would have been obliged to yield to their request. Hence. no vaccine boost for non-Brexit Britain
    You're arguing with fanatics.

The EU can do no wrong.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yeah right.
    Nope.

I thought that the telling issue, had we still been in the EU, is that - even if we had not participated in the EU scheme - we would not have been allowed to do what we did in paying private companies to build production capacity because of State aid rules. Or have I got that wrong?
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Yeah right.
    Nope.

I thought that the telling issue, had we still been in the EU, is that - even if we had not participated in the EU scheme - we would not have been allowed to do what we did in paying private companies to build production capacity because of State aid rules. Or have I got that wrong?
    Yes, you've got that wrong. We were bound by the EU rules until the end of 2020 (and still are bound by the rules in the trade agreement).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Omnium said:

Does anyone have any whisky recommendations? My taste being - favourite ever, a half glass that I had of the Black Bowmore, but also I really like a blended whisky called 'MacDonald's Glencoe' (no doubt for tourists, but I like it). I'm a great fan of Japanese whisky too.

I've generally stuck to the Bowmore distillery, their 'darkest' was good, but I've been underwhelmed by them recently.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY WHISKY RECOMMENDATIONS?

This is PB.

Glengoyne for me. Fantastic. Especially neat overnight for a US boxing match in the telly.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Both too hot in May. Certainly Phoenix is. Go north of there, try the Shenandoah for example, or Colorado (where the elevation cools thing down, the mountains in springtime can be glorious).
    Can't be too hot for us. I've been to Florida many times and May is best month to go IMO. Most snowbirds have departed and it's well before hurricane season. May is just day after day of blue skies (with the odd belter of a brief thunderstorm in-between which is fun too).
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    Omnium said:

Have a look at Clynelish, Highland Park, Old Pulteney to see if they sound any good for your taste. The northern ones, off the beaten track perhaps.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TimT said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Summer in the Deep Deep South is also best avoided. New Orleans in August? Eeek

I dunno. The French Quarter in a linen suit and a panama, dripping in sweat while eating a beignet in one hand and drinking a Hand Grenade in the other - what could be more evocative of a certain kind of decadence?
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Yeah right.
    Nope.

In normal circumstances you're definitely right.

Due to the pandemic there's more leeway with State Aid rules, so its possible that it could have been allowed but not certain either way AFAIK.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Only weirdos end a text message with a sign off and their own name.

Best, Gallowgate
  • Options

Yeah right.
    genuinely funny
    Au contraire, I think most "Remainers" are quite polite and reserved. I choose not to fit into either category when calling out bollox by people that believe in the fairy tales that were spun by lying little toads like Boris Johnson.

There is a certain irony in you calling yourself a "contrarian" when you are clearly unable to see the ridiculousness of the Brexit cause, and find ways to argue against it. All your posts suggest you are a brainwashed Brexit conformist without the slightest ability to think for yourself.
    But, you are also a boring, silly, pompous fucking prick, who makes scrotum-achingly unfunny jokes, so there's that, too?

• Options
    Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Right now, unless you are a citizen, permanent resident of the US, or are married to a citizen, then you cannot enter the US from the UK.

I don't know when the Biden administration will relax those rules: hopefully soon, not least because I would like to see my family. But it might well not be until the Summer.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

16 candidates in Hartlepool:

SDP, Loony, NE Party, Women's Equality Party, Green,
    Ind: [Adam Gaines], LD, Freedom Alliance, No Description: [Chris Killick], Ind: [Sam Lee],
    Heritage Party, Con, Reform UK, Ind: [Thelma Walker], Ind: [Ralph Ward-Jackson], Lab

https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/news/article/2191/hartlepool_parliamentary_by-election_-_statement_of_persons_nominated

Ouch... Bottom of a 16 person list has to take a percent or two off the Labour candidate you'd have thought.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

This is PB.

Glengoyne for me. Fantastic. Especially neat overnight for a US boxing match in the telly.
    Yes - that's also one of my historical favourites. I'll add that to my restocking list.
  • Options

Jeez. That's terrible.

If it wasnt Homicide it would be suicide. It's not really that shocking because males between 15-34 dont really die of anything else.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited April 2021

Best, Gallowgate

Dave's texts has been a constant source of amusement for those who receive them.

For years he signed off lots of his texts with LOL with him thinking it meant Lots Of Love.

'Sorry to hear your granddad is in hospital.

LOL.

Dave'
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Bells?

I jest - I know nothing about whiskies but my neighbour fancies himself as a whiskey connoisseur so I wind him up by asking how he's enjoying his Bells. He splutters "I wouldn't use THAT to disinfect my loo"!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

< Deep >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73UfgMoWv8E
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

Scott_xP said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb1DC0akmFE

Classic.

Though Jim Sillars is the only prominent proponent I know of outside the EU/outside the UK, which IMO is the only intellectually coherent form of Sindy.
    Having said that, it's common for the Unionist newspapers to get a quote from Mr Sillars on current Scottish affairs. Which is a bit like asking Mr Heseltine to opine on current Tory politics, and no one else (in the sense of being somewhat restrictive as to opinion).
  • Options

Jeez. That's terrible.

If it wasnt Homicide it would be suicide. It's not really that shocking because males between 15-34 dont really die of anything else.
    Overdose, car accidents. But, yes, take your point.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    edited April 2021
    TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

This is PB.

Jamieson from Ireland is very good.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Omnium said:

I was drinking Talisker the other day but I don't have any idea whether it's regarded as a good whisky or not. I hope it is. Just happened to be the first one I saw in the shop.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Best, Gallowgate

Dave's texts has been a constant source of amusement for those who receive them.

For years he signed off lots of his texts with LOL with him thinking it meant Lots Of Love.

LOL.

Dave'
    :D:D
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Right now, unless you are a citizen, permanent resident of the US, or are married to a citizen, then you cannot enter the US from the UK.

I don't know when the Biden administration will relax those rules: hopefully soon, not least because I would like to see my family. But it might well not be until the Summer.
    Yes, that's what worries me. The States could get green lit this end but Biden may still bar us despite our stats. Caribbean then!
  • Options

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Phoenix - while a great place for work - is not that exciting a place to hang out from a vacation PoV.
  • Options

Best, Gallowgate

LOL.

Dave'
    LOL used to signify 'lots of love'. I'm not sure who authorised the switch-over in meaning. Some Americans, I suppose.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

You are allowed to travel to UK from USA though.
  • Options

Yeah right.
    genuinely funny

I'm not sure Johnson much believes in Brexit that much. I'm not sure he believes in anything much apart from his own advancement.

Brexit, libertarianism, conservatism, just flags of convenience.

The fact is, remainers had a stack of chances to convince the public of their cause. They funked every single one and had their backsides handed to them every single time.

One of the chief reasons remain lost was the utterly toxic and dismissive attitude of persons such as yourself. You have clearly learned nothing and consequently will be spending the foreseeable where you are now. In the political wilderness.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Phoenix - while a great place for work - is not that exciting a place to hang out from a vacation PoV.
    It is if you are a golfer. And I like Scottsdale's vibe.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I've been unexpectedly enjoying a Welsh Whisky (Penderyn) recently after being given it as a Christmas present.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Spot on.

Yes, that's what worries me. The States could get green lit this end but Biden may still bar us despite our stats. Caribbean then!
    If you go to the Caribbean, make sure you don't bring home African Swine Fever with you. The next great pandemic the US is worried about (although it is our access to pork products, not human health, that is the worry here).
  • Options
    edited April 2021

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

< Deep >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73UfgMoWv8E
    Airplane is genius. The stupidest jokes, yet done so well they are still childishly hilarious

There must be 20 or 30 gags/scenes that have endured over FIVE decades

Half of them would probably get you cancelled now

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?
  • Options

Best, Gallowgate

Oh dear, I'm that weirdo. I get worried that I might send a message and the recipient doesn't have clue who is texting.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Lennon said:

Omnium said:

I've been unexpectedly enjoying a Welsh Whisky (Penderyn) recently after being given it as a Christmas present.
    No special spelling for Welsh whisky, then.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Northern Independence Party haven't managed to fill in the paperwork. Thelma Walker is now only an Independent.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1380209941588418564

The NIP appear to be Corbynite trolls intent on causing some damage to Starmer and The Labour Party.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Best, Gallowgate

Oh dear, I'm that weirdo. I get worried that I might send a message and the recipient doesn't have clue who is texting.
    No, I do it too, like you, if I am texting someone I barely know or I have never texted before. I do it the first few times until it is obvious it is me (in their mind)

Which tells me Sunak does not know D Cameron at all well
  • Options

Best, Gallowgate

LOL.

Dave'
    :D:D
    Like the very best people in the world he was plagued with autocorrect issues.

But the recipients appreciated the effort behind them.

I believe that Sam Cam has banned him from using emoticons.
This discussion has been closed.