Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A year on for Starmer and he has yet been able to shake the hands of a single voter – politicalbetti

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, this is why it's ludicrous to be writing off Starmer due to current mediocre ratings. There has been nothing but Covid since he got the job. No space for the opposition to attack and carve out a strong and distinctive identity. Just no appetite for it amongst the public (as opposed to winky wonky geeks like us).

Keir: "Today, I set out why this government is the worst in modern times. A bunch of total charlatans, led by a prize example of the breed, who might have lucked out on vaccines, as even the blind squirrel will eventually stumble on a nut, but other than that are an utter disaster, and what's worse do not give a flying fig so long as they can keep on shoving the moolah in the direction of their fatcat mates".

Public: "Oh shut up for fuck's sake you irritating little man. We want to hear from Boris about the roadmap."

This has been the political landscape and dynamic of the pandemic. Starmer knows this and has cut his cloth accordingly. He's ridden it out with the objective of 'do no damage' and he has succeeded. He is ready to roll now, as normal life resumes and normal politics resumes. It's game on.

That would all make sense if he hadn’t led the polls for a while, and those leads been feted as an example of his great leadership by his fans. You can’t take the bouquets and swerve the brickbats. Now, as more don’t knows make their minds up, he is disliked, not trusted and thought of as weak
    We don't know, is my point. Very exceptional circumstances. If the polls are still looking bad this time next year I will start to worry. But right now I'm quite relaxed. Not exactly optimistic but neither the opposite.

Hartlepool will be interesting. If Labour can pull off a surprise win there I will start to feel positively bullish.
    It will hardly be a surprise. 50/50 in a seat they hold. Are you writing the lines for labour media rounds on the night? If so can I suggest the following

- the Tories really should be doing better in London
    - Labour have really held on through difficult times in Liverpool
    - Labour haven't exploded in Scotland, our message is beginning to cut through

The Tory lines will inevitably include those around losing seats in the middle of a parliament, unprecedented and unpredictable times, and didn't we do well on vaccines
    It will be a genuine surprise and a boost if Labour can win a WWC Leave stronghold like Hartlepool so soon after a triumphant Brexit cum vaccines and with no BXP in play.

People can laugh all they like but this is a new politics for which we need a new punditry. I'm happy to be the one forging it.
    I think while there's a certain amount of narrative control on both sides but rationally the following points are simultaneously true:

- It would be disappointing for Labour not win a seat in their historic heartlands, during midterm as the opposition.
    - It would be a good result for Labour to win the seat due to its demographics and the results of the GE 2019 election regarding BREXIT/CON vote splitting..
    Or

It would be a horrendous failure of SKS leadership if he became the first post war Labour leader to lose his first By Election where LAB were the incumbent

It would be a poor result for Labour if with BREXIT now done they did not win easily back at 2017 margin of over 7k

SKS has a hand picked Candidate and the success (or otherwise) of the campaign in Hartlepool is entirely his (no excuses)

FWIW I expect a LAB win with a disappointing margin of 2k
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, this is why it's ludicrous to be writing off Starmer due to current mediocre ratings. There has been nothing but Covid since he got the job. No space for the opposition to attack and carve out a strong and distinctive identity. Just no appetite for it amongst the public (as opposed to winky wonky geeks like us).

Keir: "Today, I set out why this government is the worst in modern times. A bunch of total charlatans, led by a prize example of the breed, who might have lucked out on vaccines, as even the blind squirrel will eventually stumble on a nut, but other than that are an utter disaster, and what's worse do not give a flying fig so long as they can keep on shoving the moolah in the direction of their fatcat mates".

Public: "Oh shut up for fuck's sake you irritating little man. We want to hear from Boris about the roadmap."

This has been the political landscape and dynamic of the pandemic. Starmer knows this and has cut his cloth accordingly. He's ridden it out with the objective of 'do no damage' and he has succeeded. He is ready to roll now, as normal life resumes and normal politics resumes. It's game on.

That would all make sense if he hadn’t led the polls for a while, and those leads been feted as an example of his great leadership by his fans. You can’t take the bouquets and swerve the brickbats. Now, as more don’t knows make their minds up, he is disliked, not trusted and thought of as weak
    We don't know, is my point. Very exceptional circumstances. If the polls are still looking bad this time next year I will start to worry. But right now I'm quite relaxed. Not exactly optimistic but neither the opposite.

Hartlepool will be interesting. If Labour can pull off a surprise win there I will start to feel positively bullish.
    It will hardly be a surprise. 50/50 in a seat they hold. Are you writing the lines for labour media rounds on the night? If so can I suggest the following

The Tory lines will inevitably include those around losing seats in the middle of a parliament, unprecedented and unpredictable times, and didn't we do well on vaccines
    It will be a genuine surprise and a boost if Labour can win a WWC Leave stronghold like Hartlepool so soon after a triumphant Brexit cum vaccines and with no BXP in play.

People can laugh all they like but this is a new politics for which we need a new punditry. I'm happy to be the one forging it.
    I think while there's a certain amount of narrative control on both sides but rationally the following points are simultaneously true:

- It would be disappointing for Labour not win a seat in their historic heartlands, during midterm as the opposition.
    - It would be a good result for Labour to win the seat due to its demographics and the results of the GE 2019 election regarding BREXIT/CON vote splitting..
    Or

It would be a horrendous failure of SKS leadership if he became the first post war Labour leader to lose his first By Election where LAB were the incumbent

It would be a poor result for Labour if with BREXIT now done they did not win easily back at 2017 margin of over 7k

SKS has a hand picked Candidate and the success (or otherwise) of the campaign in Hartlepool is entirely his (no excuses)

Of course you're an entirely neutral and objective party here, aren't you? Nothing to do with your anti-Keir position?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

What's that Guido phrase?

Ah yes - The Profundity of the Punditry.

:smile:
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

@Andy_JS I hope its not news to Boris that almost everyone on my street appears to have had at the very least 1 guest over, indoors, this week.

We have been doing our normal midweek meetup since the last of us got their first vaccine so 5 people from 5 households
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221
    edited April 2021

"after telling this newspaper yesterday that vaccine passports were against “the British instinct”, [Starmer's] aides then rushed to explain that this didn’t mean he actually opposes them."

Telegraph.

Starmer in a nutshell it seems.

I doubt Lucy Powell would have endorsed them for large events if Starmer was opposed
    Exactly. He has effectively changed his frigging mind in the space of 24 hours on one of the most far reaching policy decisions he may ever have to oppose or support.

He would have been one of the leading Trojans welcoming their lovely new wooden horse into the city.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,192
    LAB have a chance to re-establish some credibility if they oppose domestic vaccine passports.

Will they?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1377947167260729347

So, why don't we stop implementing policies that jack house prices up?

No? Okay then, just watch London go further and further to Labour

Are people in London voting Labour because they can't afford to buy a house?

I suspect there is a lot more to it than that.
    I think it's a big part of it. People on high incomes who can only afford to rent, due to high house prices, are less likely to vote Conservative than people on average incomes who can afford to buy their own home.

I've seen this in the constituency I work in. Enfield North has seen home ownership decline from c.70% in 2000, to around 50% now. Conservative support has dropped sharply in the wards where this has been most pronounced, like Enfield Lock, Turkey Street, Southbury. The constituency as a whole has gone from a historic marginal to now very safely Labour.

London probably doesn't matter much to the Conservatives now, but it's not a trend they would wish to see replicated across the country.
    Yes, an average salary in London will not get you anywhere near enough to buy a property there, an average salary in the North and Midlands however will normally get you a very nice family home in those regions.

Hence London is moving ever more Labour and the North and Midlands have moved Tory
    If house prices keep jacking up, in a few decades the rest of the country is going to have the same problem, or the market crashes. Wouldn't want to be holding that bomb.
    We will see, hopefully the tighter controls on immigration now and building more affordable housing via local plans should help.

At the moment there is a huge house price divide in England, in the North East the average house price is just £174,116 compared to an average house price of £670,601 in London.

In the West Midlands the average house price is just £245,048 compared to an average house price of £438,998 in the South East

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices-in-England.html
    Do you think this is something the Tories should try and resolve though? It makes no difference to them politically - to me it's just not right to allow it to continue.
    I agree, @Horse.

Abolish CGT on main dwellings.

All those Londoners have nothing to lose but 20% of their speculative profits. Unless they overreached :smile:

There might be an argument for only applying it to pre-2010 profits.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited April 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I think it's a big part of it. People on high incomes who can only afford to rent, due to high house prices, are less likely to vote Conservative than people on average incomes who can afford to buy their own home.

I've seen this in the constituency I work in. Enfield North has seen home ownership decline from c.70% in 2000, to around 50% now. Conservative support has dropped sharply in the wards where this has been most pronounced, like Enfield Lock, Turkey Street, Southbury. The constituency as a whole has gone from a historic marginal to now very safely Labour.

London probably doesn't matter much to the Conservatives now, but it's not a trend they would wish to see replicated across the country.
    Yes, an average salary in London will not get you anywhere near enough to buy a property there, an average salary in the North and Midlands however will normally get you a very nice family home in those regions.

Hence London is moving ever more Labour and the North and Midlands have moved Tory
    If house prices keep jacking up, in a few decades the rest of the country is going to have the same problem, or the market crashes. Wouldn't want to be holding that bomb.
    We will see, hopefully the tighter controls on immigration now and building more affordable housing via local plans should help.

At the moment there is a huge house price divide in England, in the North East the average house price is just £174,116 compared to an average house price of £670,601 in London.

In the West Midlands the average house price is just £245,048 compared to an average house price of £438,998 in the South East

Do you think this is something the Tories should try and resolve though? It makes no difference to them politically - to me it's just not right to allow it to continue.
    If most people live in an expensive property and own it then that is no problem for the Tories, if however most people live in an expensive property and rent it that is a problem for the Tories.

If you live in an expensive property and rent it you are less likely to vote Tory than if you live in a cheaper property and own it.

Hence while the Tories have seen a swing to them north of Watford since 2015, in the South they have seen barely any swing at all and in London they have actually seen a swing against them.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

"after telling this newspaper yesterday that vaccine passports were against “the British instinct”, [Starmer's] aides then rushed to explain that this didn’t mean he actually opposes them."

Telegraph.

I doubt Lucy Powell would have endorsed them for large events if Starmer was opposed
    Exactly. He has effectively changed his frigging mind in the space of 24 hours on one of the most far reaching policy decisions he may ever have to oppose or support.

He would have been one of the leading Trojans welcoming their lovely new wooden horse into the city.
    Look, he's just doing his best to become Priam Minister...
  • Options

LAB have a chance to re-establish some credibility if they oppose domestic vaccine passports.

Will they?

I expect the opposition to come in the form of civil disobedience just like it is for a lot of shops. Most shops have signs up for masks but don't try and enforce it. Most places will similarly say you have to log in but do nothing to enforce it.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,197

Andy_JS said:
    Why is this going to be different in 2025?
    Because getting enough of the population covered will slam prevalence into the ground, as is happening in Israel now.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

There are other factors, such as ethnicity, and Brexit. But, some ethnic minorities in London (eg Indians, Jews) have shifted towards the Conservatives (eg Harrow East, Hendon, Finchley & Golders Green), and 40% of Londoners supported Brexit. I think housing is the biggest issue working against the Conservatives in London.
    Average age? A lot of younger people migrate to London because it's awesome.
    For awesome substitute 'only place with wages high enough that they can begin to hope of buying a house'
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

The only way to stop house prices going up is to build more houses. It isn't rocket science.

Despite your perverse obsession with the insane notion that taxing buyers more makes buying easier.
  • Options

Will they?

Doesn't bloody look like it.

Yesterday evening it looked like this madcap scheme was dead thanks to 40 backbench Tory stalwarts and Sir K and Liberals.

Now it is back on according to Lucy 'track 'em all, see if I care' Powell.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    RobD said:

If only they had a pan-European medicines agency that could advise on such matters. Utterly bonkers.
    Have we seen any scientific evidence to back Gottlieb's claim that the Oxford vector is 'so immunogenic'? If that is true, it is a major blow to Oxford, as it means that the vector itself is a once (or few) and done vehicle for vaccines of any type - i.e. their adenovirus vector cannot be used now for COVID, and then later for Ebola/next emerging pandemic.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Andy_JS said:
    Maybe Julia and Toby are right then? :smiley:
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    edited April 2021

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Or

Deleted - incorrect.
  • Options
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I agree, @Horse.

All those Londoners have nothing to lose but 20% of their speculative profits. Unless they overreached :smile:

You don’t pay CGT on a main dwelling.
  • Options

Will they?

Yesterday evening it looked like this madcap scheme was dead thanks to 40 backbench Tory stalwarts and Sir K and Liberals.

I think they are being badly misled by polls on this anyway as I pointed out certainly the ipsos mori poll was a somewhat leading question implying if they brought them in they could unlock sooner when the question should have been "Come june 21st when we unlock fully do you believe you should need a vaxport for the following"

The other way I think they are being misled is I don't think people will be "I am voting for x because they supported vaxports" , I don't see it as shifting votes. However conversely the anti's tend to be a lot more likely to shift votes because of it
  • Options

Telegraph.

Look, he's just doing his best to become Priam Minister...
    Well, he needs to Troy harder.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I agree, @Horse.

Point of Order conceded.

Abolish exemption of CGT on Main Dwellings !!
  • Options
    edited April 2021

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Or

Sorry, my mistake - there were earlier by-elections Labour held on in. Had the bloody chart upside down...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Scott_xP said:
    The first rule of the government’s culture war is that it has to be fought by the ones who look like their earliest relationship with the flag was being given a wedgie with it at school. Jenrick, Oliver Dowden, Gavin Williamson, Milhouse Van Houten – this is the pool from which your generals are drawn.

That stings because it's true.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

If you're in your 20s and 30s, I genuinely think there is nothing like London in the UK. Beyond that, yeah I will leave

I was agreeing with you :D
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,427
    eek said:

Floater said:
    And our Governments response is to cut aid.
    And hoover up vaccines for the U.K...
    Are we given aid to Syria's murderous regime - I would rather hope that we weren't.
    Given that we're part of the reason that the country has been ripped apart, I'd say it was more than fair.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    The first rule of the government’s culture war is that it has to be fought by the ones who look like their earliest relationship with the flag was being given a wedgie with it at school. Jenrick, Oliver Dowden, Gavin Williamson, Milhouse Van Houten – this is the pool from which your generals are drawn.

That stings because it's true.
    Surely not? I mean, does anyone believe Williamson and Jenrick went to school?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Andy_JS said:
    Does this mean I might not be a 'moaning whore' after all?

• Options
    HYUFD said:
    Because that worked so well when they had them before
  • Options

Will they?

Labour's abiding sentiment here is envy.

They don't want to give people their liberty back, they want to replace the tories with all the controls that have been imposed in place.

If you really want your liberty back, you are going to have to look outside the main parties.

Which for very, very many people on here, is going to be a big stretch. A massive stretch.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:
    It doesn't work but it plays well to the crowd - especially when the crowd are watching rents rise while their wages don't.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    HYUFD said:
    But I thought that there was a shortage of housing in the capital. Why does he want to make it worse?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited April 2021
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I agree, @Horse.

Point of Order conceded.

Indeed. Because, remarkably, for people with several dwellings, the one being sold tends to be the one they are supposedly living in at the time.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194
    edited April 2021

BJ still governing in campaign mode. SKS would look a bit of a berk doing this (as does BJ but that’s his natural habitat) but surely there’s some less berkish equivalent?

https://twitter.com/mikegove12/status/1377900825641693187?s=21

I remember those days when we all stared incredulously at Michael Foot and thought how can a party Leader look so shambolic. How we laughed!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Gov't knows people are breaking the rules I expect, it should be baked into SAGE at this point I think.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Is that within the powers of the mayor of London?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:
    For the purposes of kicking private landlords out of the capital it would work pretty well.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I agree, @Horse.

Point of Order conceded.

Indeed. Because, remarkably, for people with several dwellings, the one being sold tends to be the one they are supposedly living in at the time.
    I remember that. It was a flipping scandal.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:
    But I thought that there was a shortage of housing in the capital. Why does he want to make it worse?
    Oh, oh, I've got it. He wants to force BTL landlords out of the market because their rent will no longer cover the borrowings, so more people can buy houses, so more of them will vote Tory so...sorry, as you were.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,437
    edited April 2021
    I see the people who hate nuance are out in force today.

Here's Lucy Powell's comments.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1377934132710363136

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1377936557605261316

As for Boris Johnson's comment about two people vaccinated people not meeting up indoors, I believe he was talking about people who have had just one jab within three weeks.

Once we've all had both jabs then it'll be all hunky dory.

Some people think they become immortal within seconds of receiving their first jab.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:
    For the purposes of kicking private landlords out of the capital it would work pretty well.
    To be replaced with what? That’s the issue. Either the state would have to buy these properties, or they would have to be bought by other private buyers. And how many of their tenants would have the money to buy them? Certainly Khan doesn’t.

I know this is an issue you feel strongly about, and unlike me, you live in London, so what solutions do you have? And would there be easier routes than rent controls, which can have weird unintended consequences like buildings standing empty for years?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:
    For the purposes of having decent quality housing it would be an abject failure.

And there would be far less to rent for people who need it.

A regressive policy.
  • Options

Starmer is Meh. That is his primary problem - I can't be roused in either support or damnation as I can other politicians. What makes it worse for him is that I honestly don't think he actually cares about half the stuff he tries to take a position on. He comes across simultaneously as wooden and plastic, a political piece of MFI chipboard furniture with a shiny veneer stuck over to make it look nice.

I'm no great fan, but when the alternative is Johnson, and/or any one of his henchmen (and Priti) I'd give Starmer a whirl.

Rayner, Nandy and Phillips wouldn't get a free ride by the Conservative friends of Johnson either. The "chav" baggage has previously been pointed out on here.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,437
    edited April 2021

Andy_JS said:

No, you're still moaning like a whore for refusing to have your jab then moaning about lockdown not ending sooner.

We're 80 days from all legal limits on social contacts being lifted, so long as enough people get vaccinated ASAP.
  • Options

BJ still governing in campaign mode. SKS would look a bit of a berk doing this (as does BJ but that’s his natural habitat) but surely there’s some less berkish equivalent?

I remember those days when we all stared incredulously at Michael Foot and thought how can a party Leader look so shambolic. How we laughed!
    Does he look over promoted or what?
  • Options
    The person in charge of social media Sky News needs sacking if they cannot tell the difference between there, their, and they're.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Takeup by age, England - Figures to 28th March

50-54 83.53%
    55-59 91.14%
    60-64 96.11%
    65-69 93.48%
    70-74 96.78%
    75-79 101.89% !
    80+ 95.17%

Under 50s, 26.73%

• Options

HYUFD said:

So, Starmer's fate is in the hands of black swans and a change in PM.

Give up now?

If Boris becomes unpopular as Trump was by 2020 or Sarkozy was by 2012 then Starmer could narrowly win despite being a dull leader facing a more charismatic incumbent as Biden and Hollande did.

However at the moment Boris remains popular enough he would be re elected but there is some time to go until 2024
    As usual despite the abuse you receive from a bunch of utter twats, you remain polite and insightful.

You are one of the few people on the right here remaining remotely objective beyond "Starmer is shit, he should just quit now" (just imagine the response I would get if I posted that about BoJo) and you always have something interesting to say about the Tories.

Keep posting, ignore the twats.
    Here, here!
  • Options
    People with half a million pound 95% mortgages in Greater London are gonna be sweating.
  • Options
    Although in defence of Sadiq Khan perhaps he is being cynical, he's seen how popular Boris Johnson, Rishi Sunak, and the Tories have become from enacting large pacts of Michael Foot's '83 manifesto and other large parts of socialism since March 2020 and he's thinking perhaps I should follow suit.
  • Options
    From I understand this is one of those policies that is doomed to failure, isnt it? Everywhere it is introduced it causes unexpected consequences.

I'm all for evidence based policy, even if it is counter to my gut instinct. Please someone show me where rent controls have been net beneficial.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:
    Well, by that logic we will never be able to meet indoors.

It’s not his real reason of course - he’s just afraid that if vaccinated people can meet indoors that will set up howls from the unvaccinated - but really, surely even Cummings would have come up with a more convincing lie than that.

What an idiot he is. I’m embarrassed to think he’s our PM.

Edit - and I also think he’s being very foolish by using the word ‘irreversible.’ Czechia said something similar and it didn’t end well for them. ‘Being cautious so we give ourselves the maximum chance of staying unlocked’ would have been safer.
    That won't go down well with voters should it come to pass. We all love Boris because he invented all the vaccines to lead the world out of lockdown. People I know who are currently blowing smoke up Johnson's *** are doing so on the understanding that they get to go on hioliday, go to the pub, go to the gym and meet friends in enclosed spaces one their vaccines kick in.
  • Options
    The USA once again shows why it is an economic monster. The Trump boom was only paused by covid. Now if they could only get their government expenditure under control.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:
    To be replaced with what? That’s the issue. Either the state would have to buy these properties, or they would have to be bought by other private buyers. And how many of their tenants would have the money to do so?

I know this is an issue you feel strongly about, and unlike me, you live in London, so what solutions do you have? And would there be easier routes than rent controls, which can have weird unintended consequences like buildings standing empty for years?
    I'd simply make it unprofitable to be a landlord of existing property and apply a 100% CGT with no capital loss allowance for non-primary residential property. If you can't make money out of the sector the rats will leave the sinking ship.

As an incentive to build property I'd offer a 25 year non-transferable build-to-rent allowance that avoids all of the additional taxes, even allowing for the standard 28% CGT rate within that 25 year period (essentially, "sell it you idiot"). I would also backdate this measure so that investors who have built property over the last 25 years aren't ensnared by it plus a couple years for them to sell at 28% CGT.

If the landlords don't like it they can vote for Labour. Oh right.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    I see Boris Johnson has confirmed his status as a grade A moron.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    HYUFD said:
    I was going to kick off some painting and window repair work to my rented flat this spring.

I’ll want to defer that now if I’m not sure what Sadiq is planning to do to my ability to set a market rent.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744

Andy_JS said:
    Because getting enough of the population covered will slam prevalence into the ground, as is happening in Israel now.
    If its happening in Israel now, it will happen in spring/summer in the UK not some indefinite time in the future, maybe a couple of years, maybe longer, oh lets just make state control permanent.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

State of him. Oh please rescue us.
    Actually he was interviewed in B & Q, and those who mock Boris are missing the point that he is popular with ordinary voters, who most likely shop at B & Q , and this is precisely why he clicks with the electorate
    I shop at B&Q.
    Many millions do
    All building professionals profess to hate B&Q. And then use them to get bit and pieces when a project gets stalled. Holding a whole site for the lack of a few concrete saw blades costs...

I think I wrote about how, when the Nightingale's were being built, they used DIY stores to buy the stuff they needed within the hour.
    Of course serious DIYers use Screwfix!
    Owned by B&Q
    Screwfix is just the other cheek of the same arse. They all are. Same range of products plus some shite own brand stuff.

B&Q (and the others) realised that the pro market was worthwhile - hence they carry a certain range of the real brands.
    Since it's Saturday...

That's not quite right if you know the detail - different product range and prices.

eg B&Q every several years have a branded chainsaw with an Oregon Chain setup, which is self-sharpening, at a price massively cheaper than typical as it is a pro feature.

Quite often the saw effectively comes free.

They are also the place to go if you want to make shelves, as they will cut sheet products into lots of pieces for free. But don't ask them to make coasters from a sheet of 8x4 ply.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    What does he mean by rent controls?
  • Options

The USA once again shows why it is an economic monster. The Trump boom was only paused by covid. Now if they could only get their government expenditure under control.
    During my lifetime the GOP are only in favour of reducing government expenditure and the deficit when there's a Dem in the White House.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I agree, @Horse.

Point of Order conceded.

There is a simple fix to this, if you own more than one house any house you sell is subject to CGT until you get back down to one house
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:
    To be replaced with what? That’s the issue. Either the state would have to buy these properties, or they would have to be bought by other private buyers. And how many of their tenants would have the money to buy them? Certainly Khan doesn’t.

In principle it seems to me that the biggest issue in London is "investor flats" which have been bought by overseas investors and generally stand empty. If they were being rented out then that would massively reduce the rental costs in general across London. Long-term, if rents came down then it would also ensure that house prices fell / were more reasonable as well.

Personally I would be massively increasing the taxes and costs for properties which stand empty - not just 'double council tax' but a properly punative 5% of value tax every year if genuinely unused or similar - I just have no idea how to check/manage/define this and deal with genuine exceptions (empty for refurbishment, probate, holiday homes which are used by friends but not formally rented out etc)
  • Options

This is surely partly the result of several big repub dominated states opening fully and unilaterally, telling Biden, Fauci, Cuomo and Co to go f8ck themselves in the process.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:
    For the purposes of having decent quality housing it would be an abject failure.

And there would be far less to rent for people who need it.

A regressive policy.
    Not really, it hurts the landlords most and they deserve it.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744

Andy_JS said:
    Its like the stopped clock is right twice a day. They have been wrong up to the last month or so, when the combination of the vaccination programme improving the situation combined simultaneously with the government growing increasingly, either or both, frit and authoritarian has led to Julia and Toby being right for the first time in the pandemic.

They deserve no particular praise for being on the right side of this debate now, but yes they are currently right. I doubt it shall last.
  • Options
    Anyhoo back to this lovely weather, lego, and playing cricket.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:
    Well, by that logic we will never be able to meet indoors.

It’s not his real reason of course - he’s just afraid that if vaccinated people can meet indoors that will set up howls from the unvaccinated - but really, surely even Cummings would have come up with a more convincing lie than that.

What an idiot he is. I’m embarrassed to think he’s our PM.

Edit - and I also think he’s being very foolish by using the word ‘irreversible.’ Czechia said something similar and it didn’t end well for them. ‘Being cautious so we give ourselves the maximum chance of staying unlocked’ would have been safer.
    That won't go down well with voters should it come to pass. We all love Boris because he invented all the vaccines to lead the world out of lockdown. People I know who are currently blowing smoke up Johnson's *** are doing so on the understanding that they get to go on hioliday, go to the pub, go to the gym and meet friends in enclosed spaces one their vaccines kick in.
    The only way that a biosecurity state survives the outright suppression of the virus is if the fear factor created by it is replaced by something else. £20,000 fines for setting foot inside your mate's house, or something. Basically a form of fascism implemented through permanent Draconian laws.

I hope this lot aren't that power crazed, but anyone who trusts them entirely on any given subject is a fool.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

HYUFD said:
    Is that within the powers of the mayor of London?
    No.
  • Options

Although in defence of Sadiq Khan perhaps he is being cynical, he's seen how popular Boris Johnson, Rishi Sunak, and the Tories have become from enacting large pacts of Michael Foot's '83 manifesto and other large parts of socialism since March 2020 and he's thinking perhaps I should follow suit.

Keep this up much longer and Richard Tice will be putting you down as a 'maybe'
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Does he look over promoted or what?
    No, he looks unlikely however to achieve promotion, or even continue past his 3 months probationary period of employment at B&Q.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    HYUFD said:
    I don't see how he has the power to legislate on that.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I agree, @Horse.

Point of Order conceded.

There is a simple fix to this, if you own more than one house any house you sell is subject to CGT until you get back down to one house
    Unfortunately there is also a simple dodge to that - transfer any properties you own to a limited company.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I was going to kick off some painting and window repair work to my rented flat this spring.

I’ll want to defer that now if I’m not sure what Sadiq is planning to do to my ability to set a market rent.
    You could always sell it to an owner occupier and save yourself the hassle.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Pulpstar said:

Takeup by age, England - Figures to 28th March

50-54 83.53%
    55-59 91.14%
    60-64 96.11%
    65-69 93.48%
    70-74 96.78%
    75-79 101.89% !
    80+ 95.17%

Under 50s, 26.73%

This bastard baby boomers going round again!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

I see Boris Johnson has confirmed his status as a grade A moron.

What prompted this heresy?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:
    Its a radical move from a candidate who only has to turn up to get elected
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:
    I was wondering that too. Plus, if he does, there would be some really weird edge cases as you go into places like Watford that feel like London but aren’t.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

You could always sell it to an owner occupier and save yourself the hassle.
    Not an option.

Is rented to a banker on transfer from New York and paid for by her employer.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Presumably Khan will be introducing some type of code of conduct for landlords where you are only an approved landlord if you agree not to put up rent etc.

But what he certainly can't do is the old 1970s Rent Act style security of tenure. So if landlords don't like it they can just boot out the tenant and sell the property.

So result may well be increase in owner occupation - albeit that prices may fall.
  • Options
    ... Boris Johnson's brand of fiscal socialism is his most positive defining feature. I quite like Khan too.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Andy_JS said:

No, you're still moaning like a whore for refusing to have your jab then moaning about lockdown not ending sooner.

We're 80 days from all legal limits on social contacts being lifted, so long as enough people get vaccinated ASAP.
    Are we?

You'd like to think so, but this is nothing more than ministerial rhetoric: the published advice about Step 4 is absolutely riddled with get out clauses.

I shall believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I agree, @Horse.

Point of Order conceded.

Unfortunately there is also a simple dodge to that - transfer any properties you own to a limited company.
    Introduce a 100% stamp duty rate on transfer. These things are easy to fix.
  • Options
    589,000 Jabs on April 1st
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I agree, @Horse.

Point of Order conceded.

But then you get hit by the Stamp Duty Charge for transferring residential properties into a limited company that Osborne (I believe) initiated. (Might still be worth doing of course, but not exactly 'free')
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

The Johnson Project is more like Mitterand than Foot. Full commitment to the 'active state' and picking winners through defecit funded interventions.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
  • Options

What does he mean by rent controls?
    It's Sadiq, he probably doesn't know.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Lennon said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I agree, @Horse.

Point of Order conceded.

But then you get hit by the Stamp Duty Charge for transferring residential properties into a limited company that Osborne (I believe) initiated. (Might still be worth doing of course, but not exactly 'free')
    You don't get hit with stamp duty, although you are expected to pay CGT on the transfer price.

Equally, it isn't hard to get round that if you want it to because the regulations are so badly written.

Edit - one casualty of Covid is of course likely to be stamp duty, very probably in favour of CGT on main dwellings instead.
  • Options
    From gov.uk, on Easter reporting: Wales: no data on 2 April and 4 April (note: cases and deaths data released on 5 April and 6 April will both cover 48 hour periods)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Dawning, ahem, you may observe this is not the first occasion I have criticised Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,300
    MONARCHY = SOCIALISM! :lol:
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,192

Andy_JS said:

Are we?

You'd like to think so, but this is nothing more than ministerial rhetoric: the published advice about Step 4 is absolutely riddled with get out clauses.

I shall believe it when I see it.
    All - don't hold your breath waiting for 21 June 'abolition of all legal restrictions' to occur.
This discussion has been closed.