Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A year on for Starmer and he has yet been able to shake the hands of a single voter – politicalbetti

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539

OT in the London Mayor race (6 May) Sadiq Khan's leaflet has arrived. Just a single sheet, unlike the Tories' magazine-like booklet. Sadiq claims it is a two-horse race. If the polls are right, the race is between Labour and fresh air.

Sadiq has coined a brand new slogan, a work of genius even though it has more than three words. He will be tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime!

So is he planning on disbanding the Met?

Hat and coat....
    The lesson of 2019 is that CCHQ would see no moral objection to falsely claiming its opponents will disband the police. Or anything else.
    My comment was entirely tongue-in-cheek based on the news narrative surrounding the Met over the last fortnight.

The narrative that suggests there is a crime wave in London, and the perpetrators are serving police officers.
    My comment was a reference to the Tory 2019 claim that Labour would disband the army.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited April 2021

Ah 2019
    daily updates on a surge that never came ...

The good news for surge watching zero Covid Corbynites like Burgon is that they get do this all over again over the next few months, except this time with Covid rather than polls. Waiting for a third Covid surge that will (hopefully!) never come.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

Anecdata: just out of curiosity I thought I would check my local mass vaccine centre availability. You can walk in in an hour's time and have the jab if over 50 or otherwise eligible.

I have received an email reply from the Scottish vaccination service. They have never heard of me. Not on their system apparently. This is a little surprising since I have been at my current address for more than 30 years, with the same GP practice for 45 years and they have heard of my wife.

My details have been passed to the local NHS Board, apparently, who may contact me in a week failing which I have a telephone number I can call. What I would give for a system like you have locally. This is pathetic.
    People can drop through the cracks. Many years ago, as a young woman, I applied for some post that required my GP to provide a medical certificate. I'd been in that place for some years and had had no problems accessing GP services when needed (they even did home visits in those days).

Yet when I asked for this certificate, they found that I wasn't registered with them, even though I'd arranged for transfer of records from the former place within a few weeks of moving.

Good morning, everyone.
    Strange. When I was concerned with these things it was, IIRC, far more likely that someone would be registered twice, largely because the (paper) records took so long to be transferred.

One question for Mr L; have you actually used GP services in that time.or at least in the last 10 years. If you haven't it's possible you've been removed 'on assumption' although, of course, a check ought to have been made.
    Yes. I am not a frequent visitor to the GP but I had a major health scare a couple of years ago now where the service I got from my GP was outstanding, and very possibly the reason I can still bore you with my posts.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    DavidL said:

Anecdata: just out of curiosity I thought I would check my local mass vaccine centre availability. You can walk in in an hour's time and have the jab if over 50 or otherwise eligible.

I have received an email reply from the Scottish vaccination service. They have never heard of me. Not on their system apparently. This is a little surprising since I have been at my current address for more than 30 years, with the same GP practice for 45 years and they have heard of my wife.

My details have been passed to the local NHS Board, apparently, who may contact me in a week failing which I have a telephone number I can call. What I would give for a system like you have locally. This is pathetic.
    This doesn't surprise me. You see issues with bad/missing/duplicate data when dealing with databases all the time. There always needs to be a way to correct for mistakes in the data.

As I said on the previous thread, this is my main concern with an ID cards database. The data will be imperfect, but it will be treated as gospel truth, and instead of the consequences being limited to your interaction with one bit of government, it will end up affecting everything.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    BJ still governing in campaign mode. SKS would look a bit of a berk doing this (as does BJ but that’s his natural habitat) but surely there’s some less berkish equivalent?

https://twitter.com/mikegove12/status/1377900825641693187?s=21
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    edited April 2021

felix said:

Labour's real problem remains it's focus on identity politics

No, Labour's problem is that the Tories have played identity politics better, by winning support from voters who identify as English and patriotic, and creating a sense of distrust of Labour's patriotic credentials. Johnson is all identity politics all the time - but he has a larger identity group supporting him.

The vaccine success is also significant, as others have pointed out. I'm struggling to think of when a British government last did something as well. It's often said that the electorate doesn't do gratitude, but I wonder whether this might be an exception because the success is so unusually clear.
    In theory a good narrative should be able to be built. I can already see it - 'Brave Bozza leading us out of the EU against the Establishment (of which Sir Opposition Leader is a key part of), and saving *your* grandparents' lives'. The question is whether the voters will still care by 2024.

The big thing for me will be the EU and US's anti vaxxers. Axios believes that demand is on the wane in the US, and if levels of people willing to be vaccinated in France remain low enough (and given Mr Macron's rampant populist approach I can't see loads of nudging occurring to get them to take it), then the next few years will have France going in and out of measures outside the summer, which is the sort of thing that will stay relevant in the public's mind,

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vaccines-demand-republicans-rural-048a4a5b-5b03-4e6c-9455-da04dac0c11a.html
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    So, Starmer's fate is in the hands of black swans and a change in PM.

Give up now?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

isam said:

Cameron’s LOTO Ratings

That literally shows what I just described.

The biggest negative for Cameron was against Brown.

So, having finally agreed there, what does that mean? and does Corbyn's 2017 provide any additional information.

How about:

If your positive or negative ratings are only defined by who you're up against, they may sustain against a different challenge?
    Whilst Brown was PM Dave went from 21 to 42 in gross positives. If Sir Keir is lucky enough for Boris to be replaced by someone as unpopular as Gordon he might have a chance

Real life friends turn now. Play nicely
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    DavidL said:

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

People can drop through the cracks. Many years ago, as a young woman, I applied for some post that required my GP to provide a medical certificate. I'd been in that place for some years and had had no problems accessing GP services when needed (they even did home visits in those days).

Yet when I asked for this certificate, they found that I wasn't registered with them, even though I'd arranged for transfer of records from the former place within a few weeks of moving.

Good morning, everyone.
    Sure, I get that, bureaucracies are imperfect things. Which is why systems should allow those using them to take the initiative to get things done. If I had been able to make an appointment online myself I would have been vaccinated weeks ago. But in Scotland the bureaucracy always knows best. So I can't.
    Yes, that's true, there should always be a failsafe way to fall back on. Any idea why the Scottish government didn't set up a parallel facility to England's? After all, it's the bureaucracy that's handling the alternative book your own system.
  • Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 409

Floater said:
    And our Governments response is to cut aid.
    And hoover up vaccines for the U.K...
  • Options

@BannedInnParis that graph shows that Starmer's current rating isn't historically bad at all for a LOTO and is bound to go up again at some point.

I don't personally think Keir is doing a *great* job but I don't think he's doing a *bad* job.

And your last sentence affirms that he is uninspiring

I do not have an issue with Starmer and he is in an invidious position

The danger for Starmer is that in little under 5 weeks Labour may have underperformed in Scotland, Wales, and England and lost Hartlepool

I am not predicting it, but it is not inconceivable with London being labour's only success on the day
    I think LAB will hold Hartlepool.

Yes LAB will do well in London and as well as Sadiq, may make further progress on the Greater London Authority.

Overall the pressure for the local elections is on LAB however, not CON.

Can LAB come back in Scotland (not likely). What about Wales (I think they might do better than expected). And in England (where in fact most of the Westminster marginals are). Will voters trust LAB to run their local councils?
    Local results in Wales indicate labour losing support generally

This was yesterday and labour only took 5.9% of the available 39.9%

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1377758922862383105?s=19
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

Floater said:
    Are we given aid to Syria's murderous regime - I would rather hope that we weren't.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

@BannedInnParis that graph shows that Starmer's current rating isn't historically bad at all for a LOTO and is bound to go up again at some point.

I don't personally think Keir is doing a *great* job but I don't think he's doing a *bad* job.

That is the problem , he is bland and grey , he will always be middle of the road.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,990
    edited April 2021
    "Labour's former shadow attorney general Baroness Shami Chakrabarti has called vaccine passports a "tool of discrimination, oppression and bullying".

The member of a cross-party group of politicians warning against introducing them, tells BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "It's dangerous, it's discriminatory, it's counter-productive." She says: "It seems to me, and many others, that on the one hand, if this level of intrusion into our lives were to be proportionate, then probably it's not safe to open up the economy. "On the other hand, if it is safe to open up the economy, to come out of this lockdown and this crisis that we have been living under, if it is safe to do that, why create this tool of discrimination, oppression and bullying?" The former director of human rights group Liberty says: "It's one thing to have a passport to travel internationally, that is a privilege, even a luxury, but participating in local community life is a fundamental right.""

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56613219
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

No, Labour's problem is that the Tories have played identity politics better, by winning support from voters who identify as English and patriotic, and creating a sense of distrust of Labour's patriotic credentials. Johnson is all identity politics all the time - but he has a larger identity group supporting him.

The vaccine success is also significant, as others have pointed out. I'm struggling to think of when a British government last did something as well. It's often said that the electorate doesn't do gratitude, but I wonder whether this might be an exception because the success is so unusually clear.
    The tories have an approach which identifies one country Labour is way too focused on the ethnic minority vote/the m/c educated vote/the urban w/c in big cities vote/the transgender vote/the gay vote.... It seems to think these are groups who have no alternative place to vote. In fact they are often contradictory in their beliefs and Labour cannot at the moment square the varies circles surrounding them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited April 2021

So, Starmer's fate is in the hands of black swans and a change in PM.

Give up now?

If Boris becomes unpopular as Trump was by 2020 or Sarkozy was by 2012 then Starmer could narrowly win despite being a dull leader facing a more charismatic incumbent as Biden and Hollande did.

However at the moment Boris remains popular enough he would be re elected but there is some time to go until 2024
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

DavidL said:

This doesn't surprise me. You see issues with bad/missing/duplicate data when dealing with databases all the time. There always needs to be a way to correct for mistakes in the data.

As I said on the previous thread, this is my main concern with an ID cards database. The data will be imperfect, but it will be treated as gospel truth, and instead of the consequences being limited to your interaction with one bit of government, it will end up affecting everything.
    The issue with the ID card scheme is the desire by Governments to merge datasets together and then allow people access to more than could be sensible justified.

An ID card by itself isn't a problem but that shouldn't allow anyone more access to the absolute minimum set of data required for the job they do - and the Government has neither promised that or provided any reason to belief that scope creep wouldn't immediate start to occur.

• Options
    AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.
    Sure, I get that, bureaucracies are imperfect things. Which is why systems should allow those using them to take the initiative to get things done. If I had been able to make an appointment online myself I would have been vaccinated weeks ago. But in Scotland the bureaucracy always knows best. So I can't.
    Yes, that's true, there should always be a failsafe way to fall back on. Any idea why the Scottish government didn't set up a parallel facility to England's? After all, it's the bureaucracy that's handling the alternative book your own system.
    Two explanations come to mind.

Incompetence, in that they did not realise that the data could be bad (see also the debacle over percentage of care home residents vaccinated).

Malfeasance, in that there was a political instruction to associate vaccinations strongly with the Scottish Government by sending appointments in blue envelopes.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fernando said:

Aren’t you missing the obvious. He was doing quite well in 2020. However, since then Johnson has been shown to have made the correct decisions on vaccines. Starmer can’t escape from the popular judgement that he would have left us in the same position as the EU.
    One leader was right. The other was wrong. We rarely have such a clear division.

Good spot. Starmer was leading in the ratings and Labour led the polls - but, now more people know who he is, his ratings have fallen off a cliff.

Look at these YouGovs - since he took over he hasn’t got any more positives, and all the don’t knows have gone negative, it is almost strangely ridiculously clear

Excellent charts. Remember when we used to be told that Starmer's high initial Don't Knows were a good thing, because they would inevitably turn into positives once people got to know him? That, er, hasn't happened at all. Quite the reverse, in fact.
    Yes I remember it well.

I am not a fan of Sir Keir, but what I don’t get is how people who are fans of his think these ratings, and all the others, are good. They find solace in the fact Corbyn’s were worse, but ignore the fact that Milibands were the same.
    You are something of a one-trick pony. Most of your posts solely focus on anti-Starmer statistics. Are you perchance, Richard Burgon?
    No I’m not Richard Burgon.

I don’t think I am a one trick pony, but if I were, so what?
    As long as your one trick was the mane event it wouldn’t matter, but unfortunately most one trick ponies tail off.
    You're just being an ass again!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823

For goodness sake, there is a net swing to Labour in the Red Wall, Labour has got a better leader in Scotland and Labour is no longer talked about as being disbanded.

Bearing in mind 2019 and I remember the discussion here, Starmer’s performance is good

Nowhere near enough though, and does need to be clear what he stands for, not just supporting the government but with a face like a slapped arse.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    DavidL said:

had same recently re my wife's results of tests etc , GP had none of them and finally found they were sending them to a practice in Barrhead. They fixed it in the end but never got round to telling me how it could have happened
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

isam said:

isam said:

Fernando said:

Aren’t you missing the obvious. He was doing quite well in 2020. However, since then Johnson has been shown to have made the correct decisions on vaccines. Starmer can’t escape from the popular judgement that he would have left us in the same position as the EU.
    One leader was right. The other was wrong. We rarely have such a clear division.

Good spot. Starmer was leading in the ratings and Labour led the polls - but, now more people know who he is, his ratings have fallen off a cliff.

Look at these YouGovs - since he took over he hasn’t got any more positives, and all the don’t knows have gone negative, it is almost strangely ridiculously clear

Excellent charts. Remember when we used to be told that Starmer's high initial Don't Knows were a good thing, because they would inevitably turn into positives once people got to know him? That, er, hasn't happened at all. Quite the reverse, in fact.
    Yes I remember it well.

I am not a fan of Sir Keir, but what I don’t get is how people who are fans of his think these ratings, and all the others, are good. They find solace in the fact Corbyn’s were worse, but ignore the fact that Milibands were the same.
    You are something of a one-trick pony. Most of your posts solely focus on anti-Starmer statistics. Are you perchance, Richard Burgon?
    So he's writing about Starmer in a thread header about Starmer?

Oh the horrors!

The issue with Starmer is not that the public don't know him, but the more they've seen of him the less they're impressed.
  • Options

The danger for Starmer is that in little under 5 weeks Labour may have underperformed in Scotland, Wales, and England and lost Hartlepool

I am not predicting it, but it is not inconceivable with London being labour's only success on the day

Yes LAB will do well in London and as well as Sadiq, may make further progress on the Greater London Authority.

Can LAB come back in Scotland (not likely). What about Wales (I think they might do better than expected). And in England (where in fact most of the Westminster marginals are). Will voters trust LAB to run their local councils?

Although Monmouthshire has always been the most Conservative part of Wales. It used to be in England for a while.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

BJ still governing in campaign mode. SKS would look a bit of a berk doing this (as does BJ but that’s his natural habitat) but surely there’s some less berkish equivalent?

It’s for the local press. Depressingly, it works.
  • Options
    eek said:

Floater said:
    Are we given aid to Syria's murderous regime - I would rather hope that we weren't.
    It depends on the form of aid, but humanitarian aid should be independent of politics, even given freely to enemies. Not least it is a way of winning them over.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    edited April 2021
    DavidL said:

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.
    Strange. When I was concerned with these things it was, IIRC, far more likely that someone would be registered twice, largely because the (paper) records took so long to be transferred.

One question for Mr L; have you actually used GP services in that time.or at least in the last 10 years. If you haven't it's possible you've been removed 'on assumption' although, of course, a check ought to have been made.
    Yes. I am not a frequent visitor to the GP but I had a major health scare a couple of years ago now where the service I got from my GP was outstanding, and very possibly the reason I can still bore you with my posts.
    Very odd. Given the way GP's are paid, they are more likely to overstate than understate their records. Perish the thought, but I wonder if its possible that they gave up on you at the time of your scare!
  • Options

felix said:

If so many Labour supporters didn't hate their own country so much then they wouldn't be abandoning being English and patriotic to the Tories.

In any other nation being of your own nation and patriotic is not newsworthy. In America it is "motherhood and apple pie" behaviour. Only the English left find the concept of actually liking your own country to be repellant.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    edited April 2021

OT Binkov's Battlegrounds new video: Britain vs France. (Skip past the game plug near the start.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EVO6J9_7Y

Has our aircraft carrier arrived in time for this?

Reading up about the current French 'Intensive War' exercises, the striking point for me is that armed force specialisms are moving back to what they always were.

Navy for an island, army for a continental country.

Just about to watch the vid. Presumably submarines are important.
  • Options

DavidL said:

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

Very odd. Given the way GP's are paid, they are more likely to overstate than understate their records. Perish the thought, but I wonder if its possible that they gave upon you at the time of your scare!
    The Health Board, will have had to combine registration data from different GP practices. There will have been some mistake in David's record so that it was rejected during this process - perhaps his date of birth was entered in a different format, something daft like that - and no-one had the time or motivation to check the process closely enough to catch the missing records.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326

isam said:

isam said:

Fernando said:

Yes I remember it well.

Oh the horrors!

The issue with Starmer is not that the public don't know him, but the more they've seen of him the less they're impressed.
    You know that below every thread header, irrespective of subject therein contains a "Starmer is crap" post from Isam.
  • Options

OT in the London Mayor race (6 May) Sadiq Khan's leaflet has arrived. Just a single sheet, unlike the Tories' magazine-like booklet. Sadiq claims it is a two-horse race. If the polls are right, the race is between Labour and fresh air.

Sadiq has coined a brand new slogan, a work of genius even though it has more than three words. He will be tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime!

So is he planning on disbanding the Met?

Hat and coat....
    The lesson of 2019 is that CCHQ would see no moral objection to falsely claiming its opponents will disband the police. Or anything else.
    My comment was entirely tongue-in-cheek based on the news narrative surrounding the Met over the last fortnight.

The narrative that suggests there is a crime wave in London, and the perpetrators are serving police officers.
    My comment was a reference to the Tory 2019 claim that Labour would disband the army.
    Fair point. Lucky everyone voted for Major General Johnson, new nukes on their way too!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited April 2021

isam said:

isam said:

Fernando said:

Yes I remember it well.

Oh the horrors!

You know that below every thread header, irrespective of subject therein contains a "Starmer is crap" post from Isam.
    Because other people don't post the same repetitive guff against Boris on every thread, regardless of the topic?

At least @isam has some hard (and underappreciated) data to back him up...
  • Options

felix said:

If so many Labour supporters didn't hate their own country so much then they wouldn't be abandoning being English and patriotic to the Tories.

In any other nation being of your own nation and patriotic is not newsworthy. In America it is "motherhood and apple pie" behaviour. Only the English left find the concept of actually liking your own country to be repellant.
    I don't think Labour supporters do hate their own country at all, but that argument is for another day.

What is important is that the Tories have convinced the voters that they do. Labour's problem isn't so much that they've played identity politics, but that they've played identity politics badly, and the Tories have played identity politics with much more success.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

Checking out the pile of breeze blocks as a potential replacement for the Education Secretary ?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Good header Mike.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Sachin Tendulkar: India cricket legend in hospital with Covid-19
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56613391
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029
    Nigelb said:

Checking out the pile of breeze blocks as a potential replacement for the Education Secretary ?
    He's just wondering if his cock would fit in the holes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    It struck me the other day that 18 months back, I was already out delivering leaflets ahead of the inevitable general election. We are now probably about a third of the way towards the next campaign kicking off. You can play the "it's been a weird year" card, but that doesn't take away from this point: the time Starmer has to make an impression has already been significantly munched into. He appears to be going backwards.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Although Monmouthshire has always been the most Conservative part of Wales. It used to be in England for a while.

Yes but here is another one

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1372690114753744899?s=19
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Solid, reliable, don't move around much under pressure. Its a no brainer, surely?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

It struck me the other day that 18 months back, I was already out delivering leaflets ahead of the inevitable general election. We are now probably about a third of the way towards the next campaign kicking off. You can play the "it's been a weird year" card, but that doesn't take away from this point: the time Starmer has to make an impression has already been significantly munched into. He appears to be going backwards.

He has conceded Brexit and the pandemic to the Conservatives, and they have conceded on the Magic Money Tree to him. And his attempts on the culture wars have been abject failures. What else is there?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,240

It’s for the local press. Depressingly, it works.
    Johnson is depressingly Teflon while the country slowly breaks apart.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

isam said:

isam said:

Fernando said:

Yes I remember it well.

Oh the horrors!

well, perhaps if he wasn't ...........
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Fernando said:

Yes I remember it well.

Oh the horrors!

Because other people don't post the same repetitive guff against Boris on every thread, regardless of the topic?

All you Boris Tories have come onto this thread with your boots on today. I better run and hide.

I think, on the whole, criticism of Johnson by those on the Labour side of the argument, or disgruntled Tories and former Remainer Tories, make a good attempt to back up their criticism of Johnson and his chums with evidence.

The main charge against Starmer, which is probably true is he is boring. Johnson on the other hand is worthy of support because he is charismatic.

Anyway, I'm gone, I'm dust!
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1377923440485793797

Riiiight

Russia is scared NATO is going to invade

Laughable
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Fernando said:

Yes I remember it well.

Oh the horrors!

All you Boris Tories have come onto this thread with your boots on today. I better run and hide.

I think, on the whole, criticism of Johnson by those on the Labour side of the argument, or disgruntled Tories and former Remainer Tories, make a good attempt to back up their criticism of Johnson and his chums with evidence.

The main charge against Starmer, which is probably true is he is boring. Johnson on the other hand is worthy of support because he is charismatic.

Anyway, I'm gone, I'm dust!
    If you are looking to hide I suggest you PM @Fernando
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

That's exactly what I expect although I think Labour may over-perform in Scotland.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Fernando said:

Yes I remember it well.

Oh the horrors!

Perhaps, but there are others on here who have their own hobby horses!

It is not so much that Starmer is crap, it is more that he is a vacuum. I follow politics fairly closely, and am by nature centre-left, but even I cannot summon any enthusiasm.

I suspect the sorting out of the Labour machine and de-lousing of the back office is essential work, but I don't see the makings of a PM.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Fernando said:

Yes I remember it well.

Oh the horrors!

Only the thread headers implying Starmer is great or underestimated.

Oh I see.
  • Options
    Floater said:

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1377923440485793797

Riiiight

Russia is scared NATO is going to invade

Laughable

Casus belli...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

The sequence of results tends to determine the news presentation. AIUI London and Hartlepool will come on the Thursday evening, while Scotland and many councils drift into the next day. I have no more idea than anyone else here about how it's going outside my own patch (where we expect to improve quite a bit from a very low base).

My impression is that Labour will outperform expectations a bit in Scotland - Sarwar seems to be getting some attention and the 3% figure for Alba is just right to reduce the SNP share without actually winning any seats. The Scottish Greens seem to be benefiting not from a surge in environmentalism but because it's a safe way to be pro-Indy while expressing some unease about the Sturgeon-Salmond feud. But if the SNP lose a bunch of seats to the Greens it will make the IndyRef case harder.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

B and Q assistants are famously elusive, and useless when found.

BoZo may have finally found a job at his level, staring incomprehensibly at objects that he knows nothing about.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

felix said:

I don't think Labour supporters do hate their own country at all, but that argument is for another day.

What is important is that the Tories have convinced the voters that they do. Labour's problem isn't so much that they've played identity politics, but that they've played identity politics badly, and the Tories have played identity politics with much more success.
    When the very presence of a flag sends some into an apoplectic rage, it doesn't take much to convince voters that those reacting with fury hate their own country.

It's not even a new concept invented by the Tories, that notorious Tory errr George Orwell wrote about this over fifty years ago.
  • Options

felix said:

When the very presence of a flag sends some into an apoplectic rage, it doesn't take much to convince voters that those reacting with fury hate their own country.

It's not even a new concept invented by the Tories, that notorious Tory errr George Orwell wrote about this over fifty years ago.
    "The left" should turn the Union Jack into a "woke" symbol for the primary reason that it would wind "the right" up something awful. Would be great craic.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,240

felix said:

Do we have flags on fire engines yet? I remember Salmond plastering them all over the Scottish Fire Service when he first became FM.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

That's exactly what I expect although I think Labour may over-perform in Scotland.
    The only Labour over-performance in Scotland that would count for anything is robbing the SNP of seats and a majority.
  • Options

The sequence of results tends to determine the news presentation. AIUI London and Hartlepool will come on the Thursday evening, while Scotland and many councils drift into the next day. I have no more idea than anyone else here about how it's going outside my own patch (where we expect to improve quite a bit from a very low base).

My impression is that Labour will outperform expectations a bit in Scotland - Sarwar seems to be getting some attention and the 3% figure for Alba is just right to reduce the SNP share without actually winning any seats. The Scottish Greens seem to be benefiting not from a surge in environmentalism but because it's a safe way to be pro-Indy while expressing some unease about the Sturgeon-Salmond feud. But if the SNP lose a bunch of seats to the Greens it will make the IndyRef case harder.
    The West Midlands mayor result wont be out until Saturday I believe.
  • Options

felix said:

"The left" should turn the Union Jack into a "woke" symbol for the primary reason that it would wind "the right" up something awful. Would be great craic.
    Sounds good to me! Go for it! Let's see how it works. 👍➡
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Tres said:

felix said:

Do we have flags on fire engines yet? I remember Salmond plastering them all over the Scottish Fire Service when he first became FM.
    We have the flags that matter.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, this is why it's ludicrous to be writing off Starmer due to current mediocre ratings. There has been nothing but Covid since he got the job. No space for the opposition to attack and carve out a strong and distinctive identity. Just no appetite for it amongst the public (as opposed to winky wonky geeks like us).

Keir: "Today, I set out why this government is the worst in modern times. A bunch of total charlatans, led by a prize example of the breed, who might have lucked out on vaccines, as even the blind squirrel will eventually stumble on a nut, but other than that are an utter disaster, and what's worse do not give a flying fig so long as they can keep on shoving the moolah in the direction of their fatcat mates".

Public: "Oh shut up for fuck's sake you irritating little man. We want to hear from Boris about the roadmap."

This has been the political landscape and dynamic of the pandemic. Starmer knows this and has cut his cloth accordingly. He's ridden it out with the objective of 'do no damage' and he has succeeded. He is ready to roll now, as normal life resumes and normal politics resumes. It's game on.

That would all make sense if he hadn’t led the polls for a while, and those leads been feted as an example of his great leadership by his fans. You can’t take the bouquets and swerve the brickbats. Now, as more don’t knows make their minds up, he is disliked, not trusted and thought of as weak
    We don't know, is my point. Very exceptional circumstances. If the polls are still looking bad this time next year I will start to worry. But right now I'm quite relaxed. Not exactly optimistic but neither the opposite.

Hartlepool will be interesting. If Labour can pull off a surprise win there I will start to feel positively bullish.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Whilst the header makes some good points it is also the case that the last year is one in which we have paid a seriously unusual amount of attention to what politicians had to say because it has been impacting on our lives way more than normal. SKS's problem is that he seems to have remarkably little to say. I accept that in a normal year that might have been less of a problem but there was also an opportunity there that he has completely failed to grasp.

I think the opposite is true of what you have suggested.

Starmer has, until this week, been largely supportive of the Government through the pandemic, yet the RedWall opinion poll last week suggested Labour are opposing Johnson's pandemic response for the sake of wilful opposition.

So in summary Starmer is in trouble with the PB commentators (including myself) for not opposing the Government, yet to the voters that matter, he is opposing too much.
    But that is because he has not had clear messages one way or the other. That is fatal and disappoints both camps.
    What is Johnson's clear message otherthan three word soundbites? I think in the pandemic your critique resonates with the difficulty highlighted by Mike. Don't believe I am yet convinced by Starmer, but I think it might be too early to throw the baby out with the bath water.
    I am not saying that anything should be thrown out. I am suggesting he needs to up his game and sharpen his messaging. And don't knock 3 word messages. In the right hands they are deadly: "Take back control".
    The problem for the left is their fondness for splitting and becoming more niche leading to more words not less. Take sexuality and gender rights. We had gay and lesbian primarily as I grew up. By the time I had finished university this was LGBT. Soon after it seemed we had + and q added and now the we have the myriad of gender / sexuality identities. Now for Labour as the progressive side of politics they have to try and distill this for the entire population into an understandable position.

This is not the work of pithy politics, and the fine line they work is between respecting individuality - let's call it identity capitalism as everyone trades and is invested in their individual brand, and identity communism where people are treated as broad blocks in a system and expected to conform. As you will probably see I think this flips around the normal position of left and right and means that the party who feel obliged to discuss it are in a difficult position for communication.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

State of him. Oh please rescue us.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

The West Midlands mayor result wont be out until Saturday I believe.
    The district council results are not until the Saturday either, the county council on the Thursday I think.

The London Mayoral and Assembly results will not be completed until the end of the weekend as well
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Actually he was interviewed in B & Q, and those who mock Boris are missing the point that he is popular with ordinary voters, who most likely shop at B & Q , and this is precisely why he clicks with the electorate
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Actually he was interviewed in B & Q, and those who mock Boris are missing the point that he is popular with ordinary voters, who most likely shop at B & Q , and this is precisely why he clicks with the electorate
    I shop at B&Q.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

DavidL said:

Whilst the header makes some good points it is also the case that the last year is one in which we have paid a seriously unusual amount of attention to what politicians had to say because it has been impacting on our lives way more than normal. SKS's problem is that he seems to have remarkably little to say. I accept that in a normal year that might have been less of a problem but there was also an opportunity there that he has completely failed to grasp.

I think he has been risk averse and taking too much notice of the polls showing big support for restrictions.
    I think that’s a very good observation.

Fundamentally Sir Keir is very risk adverse. That’s not really the right attribute for a leader of the opposition. It makes him dependent on the government screwing up rather than being able to drive the political narrative
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I shop at B&Q.
    Many millions do
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fernando said:

Yes I remember it well.

Oh the horrors!

It is not so much that Starmer is crap, it is more that he is a vacuum. I follow politics fairly closely, and am by nature centre-left, but even I cannot summon any enthusiasm.

I suspect the sorting out of the Labour machine and de-lousing of the back office is essential work, but I don't see the makings of a PM.
    If Starmer gets in it won't be because of a Blair or Boris wave of enthusiasm for him, it will be because he is not Boris if Boris is unpopular by 2024.

Much as Biden got in in 2020 not with an Obama 2008 wave of enthusiasm but because he was not Trump or Hollande got in in 2012 not with a Macron 2017 style wave of enthusiasm but because he was not Sarkozy.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, this is why it's ludicrous to be writing off Starmer due to current mediocre ratings. There has been nothing but Covid since he got the job. No space for the opposition to attack and carve out a strong and distinctive identity. Just no appetite for it amongst the public (as opposed to winky wonky geeks like us).

Keir: "Today, I set out why this government is the worst in modern times. A bunch of total charlatans, led by a prize example of the breed, who might have lucked out on vaccines, as even the blind squirrel will eventually stumble on a nut, but other than that are an utter disaster, and what's worse do not give a flying fig so long as they can keep on shoving the moolah in the direction of their fatcat mates".

Public: "Oh shut up for fuck's sake you irritating little man. We want to hear from Boris about the roadmap."

This has been the political landscape and dynamic of the pandemic. Starmer knows this and has cut his cloth accordingly. He's ridden it out with the objective of 'do no damage' and he has succeeded. He is ready to roll now, as normal life resumes and normal politics resumes. It's game on.

That would all make sense if he hadn’t led the polls for a while, and those leads been feted as an example of his great leadership by his fans. You can’t take the bouquets and swerve the brickbats. Now, as more don’t knows make their minds up, he is disliked, not trusted and thought of as weak
    We don't know, is my point. Very exceptional circumstances. If the polls are still looking bad this time next year I will start to worry. But right now I'm quite relaxed. Not exactly optimistic but neither the opposite.

Hartlepool will be interesting. If Labour can pull off a surprise win there I will start to feel positively bullish.
    It will hardly be a surprise. 50/50 in a seat they hold. Are you writing the lines for labour media rounds on the night? If so can I suggest the following

- the Tories really should be doing better in London
    - Labour have really held on through difficult times in Liverpool
    - Labour haven't exploded in Scotland, our message is beginning to cut through

The Tory lines will inevitably include those around losing seats in the middle of a parliament, unprecedented and unpredictable times, and didn't we do well on vaccines
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I shop at B&Q.
    Many millions do
    At the moment we don't really have a choice. It's either B&Q or Tesco.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I shop at B&Q.
    Many millions do
    "Excuse me I'm looking for a screw."
    "Me too"
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582

kinabalu said:

I shop at B&Q.
    Many millions do
    All building professionals profess to hate B&Q. And then use them to get bit and pieces when a project gets stalled. Holding a whole site for the lack of a few concrete saw blades costs...

I think I wrote about how, when the Nightingale's were being built, they used DIY stores to buy the stuff they needed within the hour.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I shop at B&Q.
    Many millions do
    At the moment we don't really have a choice. It's either B&Q or Tesco.
    Fair comment but even before covid B & Q was a recognised brand and many millions shop there
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    Andy_JS said:

Monmouthshire was never in England. It was always considered part of Wales.

However, because of its size, wealth and location, it had two differences from the other twelve counties:

An independent set of Assize Courts and Quarter Sesssions, which were not under the authority of Ludlow as the four circuits were;

Two county MPs and one borough MP, like an English county and unlike the rest of Wales which had one county and one borough MP (apart from Merioneth, which had no boroughs, and Pembrokeshire, where Haverfordwest had its own MP in addition to the Pembroke Boroughs MP).

The former is why acts referred to ‘Wales and Monmouthshire’ and the latter is why it was considered not quite a Welsh county.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I shop at B&Q.
    Many millions do
    All building professionals profess to hate B&Q. And then use them to get bit and pieces when a project gets stalled. Holding a whole site for the lack of a few concrete saw blades costs...

I think I wrote about how, when the Nightingale's were being built, they used DIY stores to buy the stuff they needed within the hour.
    Of course serious DIYers use Screwfix!
  • Options

Starmer is Meh. That is his primary problem - I can't be roused in either support or damnation as I can other politicians. What makes it worse for him is that I honestly don't think he actually cares about half the stuff he tries to take a position on. He comes across simultaneously as wooden and plastic, a political piece of MFI chipboard furniture with a shiny veneer stuck over to make it look nice.

He could do with someone like Jess Phillips as No 2.Bit like Blair, admittedly a better campaigner had Prescott to be the bruiser.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    edited April 2021
    felix said:

I'm struggling to think of when a British government last did something as well. It's often said that the electorate doesn't do gratitude, but I wonder whether this might be an exception because the success is so unusually clear.

(May not be Felix)

Battle of Britain :smile:

Though I think Olympics 2012 may be a better answer.
  • Options
    Lucy Powell on Sky endorsing vaccine passports for attendance at large scale events
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I shop at B&Q.
    Many millions do

Owned by B&Q
  • Options

felix said:

.. and that sentence encapsulates the problem nicely.

I recall a Yasmin Alibhai-Brown column in the Guardian. The context was, during the Rugby World Cup, a black cab driver (who was black) had defied TfL and flown a England flag on his cab. With the avowed intention of cleaning it back from the EDL types. Which it did - to certain extent.

Anyway, YAB wrote an anguished article which included her stating that this left her with the horrifying prospect of having to *like* this country. Or, at the least, give up on the idea that liking this country was immoral. Which, she said, would making living in this country virtually impossible for her....
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,571
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fernando said:

Yes I remember it well.

Oh the horrors!

If Starmer gets in it won't be because of a Blair or Boris wave of enthusiasm for him, it will be because he is not Boris if Boris is unpopular by 2024.

Much as Biden got in in 2020 not with an Obama 2008 wave of enthusiasm but because he was not Trump or Hollande got in in 2012 not with a Macron 2017 style wave of enthusiasm but because he was not Sarkozy.

And that's what remains to be seen.

The success of the British Vaccine Rollout- both absolute and relative to Europe- has given the government a huge boost. But it's not that long ago that Johnson's government was slightly behind in the polls and shedding votes with each mess-up.

Will the vaccine wave carry BoJo all the way to 2024 and beyond? Or will it fade away as the fundamentals reassert themselves? Nobody knows for sure, but voters tend to be ungrateful so-and-sos, remembering the bad stuff and not the good.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I shop at B&Q.
    Many millions do

Owned by B&Q
    Screwfix is just the other cheek of the same arse. They all are. Same range of products plus some shite own brand stuff.

B&Q (and the others) realised that the pro market was worthwhile - hence they carry a certain range of the real brands.
  • Options

felix said:

I recall a Yasmin Alibhai-Brown column in the Guardian. The context was, during the Rugby World Cup, a black cab driver (who was black) had defied TfL and flown a England flag on his cab. With the avowed intention of cleaning it back from the EDL types. Which it did - to certain extent.

Anyway, YAB wrote an anguished article which included her stating that this left her with the horrifying prospect of having to *like* this country. Or, at the least, give up on the idea that liking this country was immoral. Which, she said, would making living in this country virtually impossible for her....
    I mean in all seriousness people like YAB don't represent Labour or Labour voters. I don't even know who she is.

Most moderate Labour voters in my experience are fairly comfortable being "British" but don't feel the need to virtue signal by waving flags around all the time (oh the irony). That doesn't mean they "hate" this country.

As the "right" likes to say: Twitter isn't Britain, but Twitter also isn't "the left".
  • Options
    In fact in my extended friendship group, nobody reads the Guardian, even the most ardent Corbynistas. I'm not sure who does to be honest.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,416

Lucy Powell on Sky endorsing vaccine passports for attendance at large scale events

Oh FFS. So Starmers found the fence once again after a brief check on the other side eh?
  • Options

felix said:

I mean in all seriousness people like YAB don't represent Labour or Labour voters. I don't even know who she is.

Most moderate Labour voters in my experience are fairly comfortable being "British" but don't feel the need to virtue signal by waving flags around all the time (oh the irony). That doesn't mean they "hate" this country.

As the "right" likes to say: Twitter isn't Britain, but Twitter also isn't "the left".
    Moderate Labour voters are one thing the activists and some of the MP's are quite another
  • Options

felix said:

Not much of a problem with someone flying a flag at the time of a sports contest.
  • Options

In fact in my extended friendship group, nobody reads the Guardian, even the most ardent Corbynistas. I'm not sure who does to be honest.

Newspapers are apparently mainly read by older people these days.
  • Options

felix said:

Not much of a problem with someone flying a flag at the time of a sports contest.
    Or at any time whatsoever.
  • Options
    Floater said:

felix said:

Moderate Labour voters are one thing the activists and some of the MP's are quite another
    Activists and MPs of all parties are weirdos in the grand scheme of things, no offence to people on here... :D
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Ms Sturgeon makes a habit of doing that as well. Imitation is the most sincere type of flattery, isn't it?
  • Options

Starmer is Meh. That is his primary problem - I can't be roused in either support or damnation as I can other politicians. What makes it worse for him is that I honestly don't think he actually cares about half the stuff he tries to take a position on. He comes across simultaneously as wooden and plastic, a political piece of MFI chipboard furniture with a shiny veneer stuck over to make it look nice.

THIS - absolutely
  • Options

Floater said:

felix said:

Activists and MPs of all parties are weirdos in the grand scheme of things, no offence to people on here... :D
    LOL - fair point well made :smiley:
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    MattW said:

felix said:

I'm struggling to think of when a British government last did something as well. It's often said that the electorate doesn't do gratitude, but I wonder whether this might be an exception because the success is so unusually clear.

(May not be Felix)

Battle of Britain :smile:

Though I think Olympics 2012 may be a better answer.
    Even that had the G4S business. Oh and Labour complaining about our medalists being disproportionately privately educated.
This discussion has been closed.