Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Remember the May 2017 locals when TMay was totally dominant and conquering all before her – politica

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    MattW said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

This is interesting as closer to a like-for-like replacement for gas boilers than heat pumps.

I think I'd definitely prefer a heat pump in a new build, but this looks like a more credible option for a lot of existing properties.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/16/first-microwave-powered-home-boiler-could-help-cut-emissions

Hmm. It doesn't look great to me. 96% sounds "efficient" but a heat pump properly installed and configured in a well insulated property will give you 4-5 times the output in heat than the input in electricity.

There's probably a very good reason this hasn't been brought to market before.
    They've broken the laws of thermodynamics? They can't do that!
    Well a heat pump takes the latent heat in the air or the ground and puts it into your house. Like a fridge takes the heat out of your sausages and dumps it into your kitchen.

All this "microwave" boiler is doing is heating up water using direct electricity.
    Hm, can't the heat pump be powered by electricity? Where's the gas coming into it?
    What do you mean? A heat pump is powered by electricity. But setup correctly, you'll get more than 4 times the heat out than electricity in because it's not using electricity to heat water directly, it's using the electricity to take the latent heat out of the air or the ground.

Direct electrical heating can never be more than 100% efficient but a heat pump can be.
    There's a very large block of properties in the UK that are not particular energy efficient and cannot be made to be, meaning heat transfer tech is probably a non-starter. And another group again that are not even on mains gas, so can't be realistically retrograded to a hydrogen boiler. It's a pickle to be sure. I suspect it will be solved using biofuels.
    100% agree. However the product here seems to be marketed towards new builds, who should have no problem being energy efficient enough. To me it sounds like a "loop hole" for house builders to pretend they're being green but they're not.
    This intrigued me too. 96% sounds great on the face of it, but electric heating is extremely efficient anyway - efficiency losses in electrical appliances are mostly in the form of heat, if it's heat you want, you can do it very efficiently. I'd be interested to see figures for a more traditional heating element boiler.

So, what's the microwave angle. All I can see is that you can maybe do it more quickly/cheaply. Properly directed microwaves could dump a lot of energy in water very quickly, likely quicker (or with a less complex heat exchanger) than conductive/convective systems used with a traditional heating element. For a combi-style electric boiler, that's key.

I do also wonder whether this makes sense overall though. For retrofitting, sure, but in new builds wouldn't we be looking (if not a heat pump, where as you say you can get efficiency way over 100% and for a new-build where you've got diggers on site and nothing of value to dig up it seems the obvious thing) at simply having electric heaters/electric underfloor and electric heating at the tap/shower rather than a central boiler and all the pipework that implies?

Edit: Of course, retrofitting will be most of the market for the foreseeable future, so if this is a better retrofit then it makes a lot of sense.
    Cost, heat pumps are >£10k, this is aiming to be the same price as a conventional gas boiler system at between £3-4k.
    Why so expensive? The ground works or the technology? Heat pumps aren't exactly cutting edge.

In this case, I'm not sure what microwaving the water instead of using a coil gives you - other than added complexity.

If you are going to use direct electrical heating you are far betting using individual thermostatic radiators in any case.
    Ground source heatpumps require laying a large amount (100s of ft) of ducting a few feet below ground or drilling a very deep hole.

Air source are cheaper but can be noisy.

They also require completely replacing your radiators as they are lower temperature than a gas boiler.
    Yes, the efficiency of a heat pump is inversely related to the temperature difference you are driving, so the lower the temperature you can deliver the heat at the better.

If it is the groundworks that cost then perhaps shared boreholes are the answer? I suppose they eventually get too cold unless they are very deep, though.
    The company installing the borehole loops should do all the calculations needed to ensure you don't take too much heat out of the ground. The tell-tail sign that a company hasn't done their calculations properly is the ground freezing.

That said, I never saw a domestic scale borehole installation that made any sense. The drilling is just too expensive. Air source is good enough at a much lower cost.
    I have at least one friend with a bore hole where it was cheaper because of the costs of connecting a mains supply

Boreholes get very expensive if you need to mend them, as do trench type GSHP with "slinky sprnng" type loops of pipe because the antifreeze to fill it with really adds up.
    Another reason why I prefer air source. They just make more sense for the vast majority of cases in a country with low space availability and high labour costs.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980

Cookie said:

I can't help feeling that - despite what Rochdale P said earlier about the far-left nature of the Hartlepool CLP - the temper of Hartlepool as a constituency isn't exactly a good match to Pidcock's version of left-wingery. (Mind you, nor was Durham North West.)
    As I suggested upthread they (regional director acting on behalf of the NEC) will impose a candidate.

Ex Darlo MP Jenny Chapman quoted as being one of the people lobbying hard for Dr Paul...
    I can see the argument - get him back into the Commons.

It's just the wrong seat.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    tlg86 said:

My council tax bill has just landed. It's eye-watering. HCC and EHDC are actually alright (at just 2% rises) but it's all the other jockeys.

And the PCC has whacked up the police precept by 7.1% for Hampshire because he felt there was a "compelling operational case". He's not standing for re-election.

Pillock. The phallus I will draw on my ballot paper grows ever larger and more detailed.

We got off lightly with 5.5% in Surrey:

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/surrey-residents-face-55-tax-19820757

Interestingly, the Tory incumbent is running as an independent against a new Tory candidate this time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_England_and_Wales_police_and_crime_commissioner_elections#Surrey_Police
    Frozen in Scotland , though still costs me a small fortune.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Miss Vance, aye. Difficult for the Royal Family knowing everything they say is probably being noted down for a future one-sided TV interview.

Mr. Eagles, I think Death could be tricky for arranging a babysitter.

There's a scene in one Greek story where Athena has to chat with either Death or Disease or something similar and they have to shout at one another from a distance because she's literally incapable of existing in the same space as the manifestation of a natural force with which she's speaking.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:
    That's a good chart, both for showing the scale of how bad things were, and also how much they've improved.
    For those who understand these things:

Our 5-year average is about to include this time in 2020 when deaths started to be far higher than normal. Is this going to flatter the figures for 2021, please?

Good afternoon, everybody.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

[Google Translate]

German Health Ministry on AZ:

Are we not risking more deaths than we are avoiding as a result of the AstraZeneca vaccination ban?
    That is a statistical (and legitimate) issue. But the state is legally obliged, in particular, to the individual citizen who is vaccinated as part of a state vaccination campaign! The state makes the vaccine available and therefore has special duties of care. Officials of the BMG and PEI are obliged to monitor the safety of the vaccine and to react to appropriate signals. If these obligations are violated and the vaccination campaign continues without properly informing the population and the people to be vaccinated, there could also be legal consequences.

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/coronavirus/faq-covid-19-impfung/faq-impfung-astrazeneca.html#c20800

All of which is fair enough. The problem is that there is a distinct lack of "appropriate signals" in this case.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,546
    edited March 2021

moonshine said:

MattW said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

This is interesting as closer to a like-for-like replacement for gas boilers than heat pumps.

I think I'd definitely prefer a heat pump in a new build, but this looks like a more credible option for a lot of existing properties.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/16/first-microwave-powered-home-boiler-could-help-cut-emissions

Hmm. It doesn't look great to me. 96% sounds "efficient" but a heat pump properly installed and configured in a well insulated property will give you 4-5 times the output in heat than the input in electricity.

Well a heat pump takes the latent heat in the air or the ground and puts it into your house. Like a fridge takes the heat out of your sausages and dumps it into your kitchen.

All this "microwave" boiler is doing is heating up water using direct electricity.
    Hm, can't the heat pump be powered by electricity? Where's the gas coming into it?
    What do you mean? A heat pump is powered by electricity. But setup correctly, you'll get more than 4 times the heat out than electricity in because it's not using electricity to heat water directly, it's using the electricity to take the latent heat out of the air or the ground.

Direct electrical heating can never be more than 100% efficient but a heat pump can be.
    There's a very large block of properties in the UK that are not particular energy efficient and cannot be made to be, meaning heat transfer tech is probably a non-starter. And another group again that are not even on mains gas, so can't be realistically retrograded to a hydrogen boiler. It's a pickle to be sure. I suspect it will be solved using biofuels.
    I don't think I believe that last - which ones do you mean?

There are certainly "hard to insulate" properties (eg solid wall, rooms in the roof), and a few exceptions like National Trust properties or things that are Listed with ornate interiors. But that is different.
    There are about half a million listed buildings, many of which I’m sure are not connected to the gas grid. I was quoted anywhere between £30-50k for GSHP for a 3 bed house, with the land already in place and on the assumption that no amendments would be needed to internal radiators which are over sized for the room volumes. The running costs would have been approximately equal to heating oil. Absolutely no point whatsoever.

Someone (I think I know who) needs to smash up this tired segment of the industry.

As to using a biofuel in place of heating oil, over time biofuel will be blended into domestic heating oil and then be increased so that potentially in 10-15 years it might be entirely “renewable”. I don’t see a better solution really.
    We live in a Grade 2* listed building surrounded by a Romano-British town. We are not on the gas grid and currently use oil. Sadly for us neither solar panels nor GSHP are allowed so we are looking at installing a wood burning boiler which we will feed from our own wood.
    What about Ground Mounted Solar behind a hedge, or on top of a detached garage / man cave?

Solar is never good for house heating, as in the season you need it it runs at about 5-10%.

Perhaps try ASHP. The ASHP unit can be some distance away.

Which town is it?

Deva or perhaps Corinium Dobunnorum?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

My council tax bill has just landed. It's eye-watering. HCC and EHDC are actually alright (at just 2% rises) but it's all the other jockeys.

And the PCC has whacked up the police precept by 7.1% for Hampshire because he felt there was a "compelling operational case". He's not standing for re-election.

Pillock. The phallus I will draw on my ballot paper grows ever larger and more detailed.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/surrey-residents-face-55-tax-19820757

Interestingly, the Tory incumbent is running as an independent against a new Tory candidate this time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_England_and_Wales_police_and_crime_commissioner_elections#Surrey_Police
    Council tax freeze for every council in Scotland. Nicola says no.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

moonshine said:

MattW said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

There are certainly "hard to insulate" properties (eg solid wall, rooms in the roof), and a few exceptions like National Trust properties or things that are Listed with ornate interiors. But that is different.
    There are about half a million listed buildings, many of which I’m sure are not connected to the gas grid. I was quoted anywhere between £30-50k for GSHP for a 3 bed house, with the land already in place and on the assumption that no amendments would be needed to internal radiators which are over sized for the room volumes. The running costs would have been approximately equal to heating oil. Absolutely no point whatsoever.

Someone (I think I know who) needs to smash up this tired segment of the industry.

As to using a biofuel in place of heating oil, over time biofuel will be blended into domestic heating oil and then be increased so that potentially in 10-15 years it might be entirely “renewable”. I don’t see a better solution really.
    Was that using boreholes or ground loops? Single phase or three phase?

I often had clients who would do the excavating themselves with borrowed plant to save money on the most expensive aspect - the ground works.

Did you factor in the RHI in your payback calcs?
    Ground loops, no idea on single or three phase. The ground works were estimated at £4K, fairly marginal saving doing that myself against the total cost. Govt incentives would in theory pay most if not all the upfront cost over 7 years but the running costs were going to be as expensive as oil (solar pv is verboten) and there’s depreciation and financing cost on top. The only reason for doing it would be to feel warm and fuzzy about my own footprint but it’s a terrible allocation of resources for the wider goal, when you include the cost of the subsidy. I might just buy some more land and plant some trees instead, which gives some extra utility on top.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,988

I make the corresponding total for 8 March to be 254,061. Today's numbers look to be back to mid-February levels. That suggests some progress.
    Not bad for a Sunday.....

Tomorrow and Thursday's reported numbers though I'm looking at too see how we are getting on.....
    They are reported by the NHS as yesterday's figures. In reality a good deal of them probably were administered on Sunday but in any case the NHS classes them as yesterday.

Still, that's the best return on a Tuesday reporting day since we began I think. Nearer where we need to be, but we can and should aim higher.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,256

So you're effectively defunding the police.

Shame on you.
    This came on the back of a similarly large increase last year.

They can make do with a 2-3% increase like everyone else.

Our PCC is a limp lettuce. If the rozzers told him to jump he'd book himself in for a day out at Go Ape.
    Have you checked last year's bill to work out the increase, or do they put it on the bill?

No percentage increase shown on my Edinburgh City Council tax bill. Probably not safe to assume it's the same as last year...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited March 2021

Indeed. That is much nearer where we need to be from here! Best 1st dose return on a Tuesday (Monday date of) since records began.

It's happening!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672

Miss Vance, aye. Difficult for the Royal Family knowing everything they say is probably being noted down for a future one-sided TV interview.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1371832078833225728?s=20
  • Options
    MattW said:

moonshine said:

MattW said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

We live in a Grade 2* listed building surrounded by a Romano-British town. We are not on the gas grid and currently use oil. Sadly for us neither solar panels nor GSHP are allowed so we are looking at installing a wood burning boiler which we will feed from our own wood.
    What about Ground Mounted Solar behind a hedge, or on top of a detached garage / man cave?

Solar is never good for house heating, as in the season you need it it runs at about 5-10%.

Perhaps try ASHP. The ASHP unit can be some distance away.
    You’d probably need listed buildings consent to put pv even on a detached garage, though it would be granted. Marginal impact though if you’re running an electric heating source (and / or EVs).

I’ve been told Ground mounted solar is verboten on any land categorised as agricultural, even scruffy grade 3 paddock out of view. Unless I open a solar farm with enough capacity to serve a large community.

The planning rules are basically completely counter to the 2050 net zero goal.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:
    That's a good chart, both for showing the scale of how bad things were, and also how much they've improved.

Our 5-year average is about to include this time in 2020 when deaths started to be far higher than normal. Is this going to flatter the figures for 2021, please?

Yes, factoring in the excess deaths for 2020 into the 5-year rolling average will show a "death deficit" in the subsequent years.

• Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

MattW said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I often had clients who would do the excavating themselves with borrowed plant to save money on the most expensive aspect - the ground works.

Ground loops, no idea on single or three phase. The ground works were estimated at £4K, fairly marginal saving doing that myself against the total cost. Govt incentives would in theory pay most if not all the upfront cost over 7 years but the running costs were going to be as expensive as oil (solar pv is verboten) and there’s depreciation and financing cost on top. The only reason for doing it would be to feel warm and fuzzy about my own footprint but it’s a terrible allocation of resources for the wider goal, when you include the cost of the subsidy. I might just buy some more land and plant some trees instead, which gives some extra utility on top.
    I've asked my old boss what the typical cost for such a system without anything special should be these days, as I'm curious. It's been a good 5 years since I was in the industry so I'm a little out of date.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332

Shame on you.

Our PCC is a limp lettuce. If the rozzers told him to jump he'd book himself in for a day out at Go Ape.
    Have you checked last year's bill to work out the increase, or do they put it on the bill?

No percentage increase shown on my Edinburgh City Council tax bill. Probably not safe to assume it's the same as last year...
    They put it on the bill.

Honestly, I may as well throw tenners at police cars whenever they drive by.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Floater said:
    Rofl - they wouldn't be that dumb would they? Surely not in the 21st century? Over to you Maca and Angie......
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Pants down.

Brief though that post is, it's nonetheless more information than we really need, TBH.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973

Shame on you.

They are frozen in Scotland, government gave councils money and all signed up. You may get a water increase I suppose.
  • Options

"unproductive" trans. "didn't get what I want"

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1371828605068660736?s=20

That's the material for their next interview.
  • Options
    We must all take the arm. Come on Keir let's be havin you!
  • Options

Floater said:
    Comedy Dave is going to have to work overtime spinning the EU governments out of this one.
    Well....

(Comedy Dave Emission)
    You're being quite cruel there. He was OK on the EMA Press Conference:

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1371812400345849856
    https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1371813812190449665

• Options
    AnneJGP said:

rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

Normally, yes. It is of course up to the people making the charts. If I was doing this I'd use the 2015-2019 five years, still, for the reasons you state.

The pandemic will of course screw up any excess death reporting for the next few years - there will have to be some thought about the appropriate baseline to use (most recent x years excluding 2020/21 for example). Excess deaths will likely be all over the place for a while anyway, due to higher Covid deaths among those with a higher chance of death in the next few years (so should reduce excess deaths for a bit) and due to lockdowns reducing other infectious disease mortality for a bit, but possibly making it worse when restrictions are lifted and it's longer since people were last exposed. Plus other effects from e.g. delayed diagnoses/treatments due to NHS strain. Interesting times...
  • Options
    I must stop getting distracted, I have at least another 2 cover letters to write today. :s
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Has Hartlepool CLP considered Dave Keating?

Truly a time- and space-bending candidate. He'd lose so hard he'd change election results in the past...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Pants down.

Brief though that post is, it's nonetheless more information than we really need, TBH.
    Wood really performing right now.
  • Options
    Am I the only one skimming this thread who immediately found the phrase 'borehole' brought up an instant image of Starmer.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    AnneJGP said:

rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

Hello Anne.

I think that the statisticians may intend to exempt the Plague period from calculation of these rolling five-year averages, because the death rates are evidently wildly unrepresentative - but I can provide no link for this.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Floater said:
    Comedy Dave is going to have to work overtime spinning the EU governments out of this one.
    Well....

(Comedy Dave Emission)

His last line on the second tweet was as dumb as f***.
  • Options

Doubtful that Hartlepool CLP will get anywhere near it from what I am reading. If the NEC (regional director in practice) are to choose a candidate it will be done with input from the regional board more than from the trot loons who forced their own council leader out of the party.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Floater said:
    Well....

(Comedy Dave Emission)

Telling countries to stop suspensions is not in EMA remit, is it? EMA is supposed to assess medications for efficacy and safety. They've done so and approved AZN, up to countries to decide whether or not to use it. EMA doesn't do those recommendations. EMA is (loosely) like our MHRA, not like NICE.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1371832078833225728?s=20
    The Sun article is a study worthy of a PhD student's attention on how to turn a single word meaningless quote ("unproductive") into a monetizable story.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,098
    edited March 2021
    I'm imagining that scene at the end of Ice Cold in Alex..

https://twitter.com/andrewlearmonth/status/1371832215139708940?s=20

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302
    Do we think that we missed Wood in the last T20 then?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited March 2021

Floater said:
    Well done the EMA. I know there were some concerns last night that, because the individual national medical authorities are part of the EMA appraisal, they would sway this analysis. I have no idea if that really was the case but clearly the EMA has done exactly the right thing and looked at the evidence.
    Perhaps they are just desperate to get jobs back in London?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

MattW said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Under GHG you get the grant without waiting for 1-7 years.

Once the forms are through :smile: .
  • Options
    Selebian said:

MattW said:

Floater said:
    Well....

(Comedy Dave Emission)

Telling countries to stop suspensions is not in EMA remit, is it? EMA is supposed to assess medications for efficacy and safety. They've done so and approved AZN, up to countries to decide whether or not to use it. EMA doesn't do those recommendations. EMA is (loosely) like our MHRA, not like NICE.
    Are you saying that if there was a safety reason to pause rollout our MHRA would not say so?
  • Options

Shame on you.

They put it on the bill.

Honestly, I may as well throw tenners at police cars whenever they drive by.
    At least you know they have enough police to catch you if you don't pay now.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,448

I must stop getting distracted, I have at least another 2 cover letters to write today. :s

Good luck - go to it!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_xP said:
    Trump-era Govt. even worse than SNP Scotland's? Say it ain't so......
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,256

tlg86 said:

Council tax freeze for every council in Scotland. Nicola says no.
    She's not getting much credit for that largesse - I didn't even know I was benefiting from it.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Floater said:
    Well done the EMA. I know there were some concerns last night that, because the individual national medical authorities are part of the EMA appraisal, they would sway this analysis. I have no idea if that really was the case but clearly the EMA has done exactly the right thing and looked at the evidence.
    I think the national regulators were hoping for someone to step in and take the "decision" away from them.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    On the subject of heat pumps, does anyone know about the hybrid systems where you have a heat pump as well as a conventional boiler (which cuts in when more heat is needed)? Our house is a large Sussex farmhouse, with abysmal insulation, and with old radiators which would not be practical to change without gutting the place (and it's a listed building, so improving the insulation is not really practical either). We have an oil boiler which is fairly new and about as efficient as an oil boiler can be, but it's obviously expensive to run and produces a lot of C02. There's no mains gas here. We do have plenty of land which could be used for a ground-source heat pump.

I have been wondering whether a hybrid heat-pump system could be used to provide background heat, perhaps all day, with the oil boiler kicking in in the evenings and at particularly cold times. Any thoughts?
  • Options

Scotland miles ahead of England on indoor pubs. The Sturge strikes back!
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Brom said:
    What we need is to get Ford to make EV engines in the UK, diesel will be gone in 10 years.
    Ford expect Diesel engines in commercial vehicles to be around slightly longer.
    I think the market will say otherwise, the cost of EVs is falling rapidly, the TCO of EVs will begin to become competitive with diesel and operators are rational and will move over to EVs much sooner than the likes of Ford and VW are hoping.
    I don't understand why city buses are still mostly diesel. I'd've thought it'd be very cheap to put in charging wires at termini and strategic portions of roads along the main routes, along the model of newer tram systems (like the new Birmingham tram extension).
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Selebian said:

MattW said:

Floater said:
    Well....

(Comedy Dave Emission)

Are you saying that if there was a safety reason to pause rollout our MHRA would not say so?
    No, of course they would. But if the government here decided to suspend AZN over blood clot fears then I would not expect the MHRA to say they should stop the suspension, only to (as the EMA has) state that there's no evidence of a problem.

Comical Dave is implying that EMA not saying "start using it again" is somehow significant. It's not. It's not up to EMA to tell countries what to do.

Essentially, I was saying what felix said, but in many more words and a bit more politely.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

MattW said:

Floater said:
    Well....

(Comedy Dave Emission)

No, of course they would. But if the government here decided to suspend AZN over blood clot fears then I would not expect the MHRA to say they should stop the suspension, only to (as the EMA has) state that there's no evidence of a problem.

Comical Dave is implying that EMA not saying "start using it again" is somehow significant. It's not. It's not up to EMA to tell countries what to do.

Essentially, I was saying what felix said, but in many more words and a bit more politely.
    Well yes, I would hope the Government wouldn't halt the vaccine rollout unless the MHRA advised there was reason to do so.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

Hello Anne.

I think that the statisticians may intend to exempt the Plague period from calculation of these rolling five-year averages, because the death rates are evidently wildly unrepresentative - but I can provide no link for this.
    The statisticians won't, but the politicians might.

The historical "excess death" graphs I have seen in the last year clearly show big drops after each big "spike".
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Following the science election timetable
  • Options

Nope. "indoor hospitality without alcohol"
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Doesn't seem like there's a freedom day in Scotland though, just a date for moving to level 1 restrictions which still has some measures in it. 17th May seems significant in Scotland with mixed household indoor socialising but it's limited to 4 people rather than 6 like we're going to get in England 2 days later. The 10pm and 8pm curfews as well as substantial meal rules are the worst though. Glad Boris didn't bring them back.

Honestly, it feels like being different for the sake of it.
  • Options

On the subject of heat pumps, does anyone know about the hybrid systems where you have a heat pump as well as a conventional boiler (which cuts in when more heat is needed)? Our house is a large Sussex farmhouse, with abysmal insulation, and with old radiators which would not be practical to change without gutting the place (and it's a listed building, so improving the insulation is not really practical either). We have an oil boiler which is fairly new and about as efficient as an oil boiler can be, but it's obviously expensive to run and produces a lot of C02. There's no mains gas here. We do have plenty of land which could be used for a ground-source heat pump.

I have been wondering whether a hybrid heat-pump system could be used to provide background heat, perhaps all day, with the oil boiler kicking in in the evenings and at particularly cold times. Any thoughts?

I nominate Gallowgate to write a thread header on this because I in similar circumstances to you hit a total dead end on my own
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Do we think that we missed Wood in the last T20 then?

These last couple of overs are key.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Doesn't seem like there's a freedom day in Scotland though, just a date for moving to level 1 restrictions which still has some measures in it. 17th May seems significant in Scotland with mixed household indoor socialising but it's limited to 4 people rather than 6 like we're going to get in England 2 days later. The 10pm and 8pm curfews as well as substantial meal rules are the worst though. Glad Boris didn't bring them back.

I didn't spot the substantial meals rule returning! That was evil. Okay.
  • Options

Pubs but no beer?
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

Hello Anne.

The statisticians won't, but the politicians might.

The historical "excess death" graphs I have seen in the last year clearly show big drops after each big "spike".
    There should a drop even without inflating the average.

Simply some of those who would be "due" to won't. Because they already have.
  • Options

Really? The tweet doesn't specify that. What's the effing point??
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    MaxPB said:

Surely not....
  • Options

And an 8pm indoor closing time with a 10pm outdoor closing time. That's poor. I'd rather have what we've got here with no limits on opening hours and then 17th May with 6 people mixed household indoor mixing with no stupid curfews.

As I said, it just seems like a "let me different from England for the sake of it".
  • Options
    Unfortunate.

The lawyer of Leicester East MP Claudia Webbe was taken ill today ahead of her trial on a harassment charge.

Webbe was due to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on March 16, but the case has now been suspended until September.

It is alleged the 56-year-old pursued a course of conduct which amounted to the harassment of a woman, named Michelle Merritt, between September 1 2018 and April 26 2020.

Webbe, of Moreland Street, Islington, north London, is accused of threatening and making numerous unwarranted telephone calls to the woman.

Her solicitor Raj Chada told Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday that Webbe’s barrister was unable to attend the hearing, and asked for an adjournment.

Mr Chada, who represented Webbe, said the barrister had notified the defence team at 8.44am that he was “feeling unwell” and was going to “call an ambulance”.

He told the court the message was the last communication they had with him, despite attempts to make contact since.

Chief magistrate Paul Goldspring agreed to adjourn the trial, adding: “It is clear the interests of justice are only met by granting an adjournment.”

Webbe, who was granted unconditional bail, is now due to stand trial at the same court on September 27. It is due to last one day.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/barrister-falls-ill-ahead-harassment-5188804
  • Options
    England making a right jazz of these death overs.
  • Options

Really? The tweet doesn't specify that. What's the effing point??
    Fuck knows, I read meals and thought it was the idiotic substantial meal rules coming back, this is worse. Why would a pub bother opening for indoor service if it's just soft drinks and food?
  • Options
    I assume they have more than the pics to verify the story but, in fairness, surely about 86% of men who have a beard and decide to get rid do briefly try the Hitler look in the bathroom mirror as part of the process?
  • Options

Just go for the heat pump and combine with a good thick woollie for the parky nights?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Doubtful that Hartlepool CLP will get anywhere near it from what I am reading. If the NEC (regional director in practice) are to choose a candidate it will be done with input from the regional board more than from the trot loons who forced their own council leader out of the party.
    In that case the "Trot loons" will be standing their own candidate? Socialist United Workers Unite Alliance or whatever this week's name is?
  • Options
    The poor Scots.

Also on 26 April, cafes, pubs and restaurants can open until 8pm indoors, but not serve alcohol. Outdoor drinking will be permitted until 10pm
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

MattW said:

Floater said:
    Well....

(Comedy Dave Emission)

My excuse is I'm originally from up north!
  • Options

The poor Scots.

Also on 26 April, cafes, pubs and restaurants can open until 8pm indoors, but not serve alcohol. Outdoor drinking will be permitted until 10pm

Honestly, what's the point.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

These two lying down together? They end times really ARE here...

https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1371753776391020545

Good for them.
    It's noteworthy that the Conservative family is starting to come together again post Brexit.
    Let the troughing continue...
  • Options
    felix said:

Just go for the heat pump and combine with a good thick woollie for the parky nights?
    We already have good thick woolies for the parky nights! (And open fires and a wood burner).
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Unfortunate.

The lawyer of Leicester East MP Claudia Webbe was taken ill today ahead of her trial on a harassment charge.

Webbe was due to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on March 16, but the case has now been suspended until September.

It is alleged the 56-year-old pursued a course of conduct which amounted to the harassment of a woman, named Michelle Merritt, between September 1 2018 and April 26 2020.

Webbe, of Moreland Street, Islington, north London, is accused of threatening and making numerous unwarranted telephone calls to the woman.

Her solicitor Raj Chada told Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday that Webbe’s barrister was unable to attend the hearing, and asked for an adjournment.

Mr Chada, who represented Webbe, said the barrister had notified the defence team at 8.44am that he was “feeling unwell” and was going to “call an ambulance”.

He told the court the message was the last communication they had with him, despite attempts to make contact since.

Chief magistrate Paul Goldspring agreed to adjourn the trial, adding: “It is clear the interests of justice are only met by granting an adjournment.”

Webbe, who was granted unconditional bail, is now due to stand trial at the same court on September 27. It is due to last one day.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/barrister-falls-ill-ahead-harassment-5188804

Does that mean she'll be available to vote against the Police, Crime, Sentencing, and Courts Bill with Labour today?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Your occasional reminder that Macron was supposedly the rational, Enlightenment choice against the forces of medieval darkness.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The poor Scots.

Scotland seems like the most ideal place in Britain for outdoor drinking.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

MattW said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I once worked on a project in Cumbria where I advised the client he needed to insulate his property further to avoid requiring a 3-phase power supply for his heat pump. The property was solid stone so it would have had to been done with insulated panels on the inside of the building, reducing the size of the rooms, and the madman actually did it! Fair play to him.
    I don't understand why he wouldn't do that. It's not difficult - unless some silly fool has decorated first or installed kitchens etc. But if they do that they get what they deserve.

My parents did that for a listed Derbyshire Hall over a 20 year period between about 1975 and 1995.

Once you have done the heat the next main thing is ventilation to allow the inside to breathe as well.

I will have to do a bit of the IWI on a wall or two in mine as U values are only about 0.19, and they are on the boundary.
  • Options

Brilliant batting by Kohli. This is going to be seriously hard for England.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The poor Scots.

Just rules for the sake of rules –– I take it all back. This is a massive letdown from The Sturge.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This should have been 130-140 and a walk in the park for England.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

I know BBC Panorama takes a frame and fits their picture into it, however yesterday's rather poor expose of PPE contract corruption was nonetheless shocking. Gareth Davies from the NAO conceded Government secrecy regarding the procurement "fast lane" could look, dare I say it (my word, not his) dishonest.

A Labour Government/Administration would, quite rightly, be castigated as morally and fiscally corrupt. Why are this Government allowed a free pass?

Because the people who own the media are the same people who are face down in the gravy.
  • Options
    Very impressive knock by Kohli. Finely balanced match this.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,218

Pants down.

:smile: - Yes, I thought it was possibly Philip deciding to liven up the thread by liveblogging his ablutions. In which case I was slightly dreading the next post.
  • Options

DavidL said:

This should have been 130-140 and a walk in the park for England.
    I remember from the first match that a team that loses 3 wickets in the power play loses more than 80% of the time. This just might prove an exception.
  • Options
    I've read the Integrated Review now: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/969402/The_Integrated_Review_of_Security__Defence__Development_and_Foreign_Policy.pdf

I think it's a somewhat confused document that tries to do too much, and isn't easily laid out.

It basically tries to covers a British "global" policy for foreign affairs, environment, development, security and strategic threats, as well as a bit of science and technology development, but by trying to crowbar all of it into 100 pages glosses over some important subjects and doesn't really go into too much depth on anything, and the connectivity isn't obvious. I would have had a shorter strategy paper of 50 pages, and then detailed separate subsidiary strategies on each area; (1) Foreign Affairs , (2) security & defence, (3) development, (4) R&D and (5) industry etc.

It isn't really a defence review either - outside the nuclear deterrent, I couldn't see much on the Army, RAF or Royal Navy - and it just references spending & investment levels overall, and a few bullets. It mentions think-tanks, but not tanks. That suggests to me that final decisions haven't been taken in many areas yet.

Specific points:

1) Africa - it hat-tips we'll be particularly active in Ethiopia, Kenya and Nigeria. It looks to me like it's about combatting Chinese influence "under the radar" in areas where it's trying to get its foot in the door, and also recognising it's ongoing poverty and huge population growth, together with climate change, could be a source of destabilisation to the European continent.
    2) Forward basing - we will maintain forward bases in Oman, Singapore and Kenya (ME, Indo-Pacific and Africa) as well as expanding our defence staff budget & personnel. I presume this is to cement alliances and influence in these regions. This is on top of investing in the Cyprus SBAs.
    3) Europe - mild dissing of the EU, IMHO, because it references all European countries individually by name, rather than the EU institutions (which will piss them off). This is precisely the same as we do for all other countries around the world in it. But they will notice.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The poor Scots.

Just rules for the sake of rules –– I take it all back. This is a massive letdown from The Sturge.
    The politicians have become addicted to ruling over the minutia of how people live. It's going to be a very tough battle over the next year to force them to give up that addiction.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I once worked on a project in Cumbria where I advised the client he needed to insulate his property further to avoid requiring a 3-phase power supply for his heat pump. The property was solid stone so it would have had to been done with insulated panels on the inside of the building, reducing the size of the rooms, and the madman actually did it! Fair play to him.
    I don't understand why he wouldn't do that. It's not difficult - unless some silly fool has decorated first or installed kitchens etc. But if they do that they get what they deserve.

My parents did that for a listed Derbyshire Hall over a 20 year period between about 1975 and 1995.

Once you have done the heat the next main thing is ventilation to allow the inside to breathe as well.

I will have to do a bit of the IWI on a wall or two in mine as U values are only about 0.19, and they are on the boundary.
    It just turns it into a much bigger job and most people aren't expecting to have to gut the entire property just to install a new heating system.

It was a success though I believe on all accounts.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,098
    edited March 2021

MaxPB said:

The poor Scots.

Scotland seems like the most ideal place in Britain for outdoor drinking.
    April is usually the month I start having a pint and a cigar in a beer garden. Southern Jessies may have different schedules.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

We're being different in that we're being safe.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,627
    edited March 2021
    Priti Patel:

"In line with the Government’s manifesto position in favour of First Past the Post, which provides for strong and clear local accountability, and reflects that transferable voting systems were rejected by the British people in the 2011 nationwide referendum, the Home Office will work with the Cabinet Office and the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government to change the voting system for all Combined Authority Mayors, the Mayor of London and PCCs to First Past the Post. This change will require primary legislation, which we will bring forward when Parliamentary time allows."

https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-statements/detail/2021-03-16/hcws849/
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The poor Scots.

The politicians have become addicted to ruling over the minutia of how people live. It's going to be a very tough battle over the next year to force them to give up that addiction.
    Mass disobedience towards any rule or law created in the last 18 months might be one possible consequence at some stage.
  • Options
    What's the point of picking Sam Curran if you aren't going to bowl him for 4 overs? Why not just pick somebody like Sam Billings or Mo Ali?
This discussion has been closed.