Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New polling has voters narrowly opposed to the Clapham vigil but significantly more supporting than

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

My guess would also be that if the video linked to on the last thread gains currency sympathy for these women is going to fall off a cliff.

I don't think that what the police did here was right or necessary but boy, do they have a lot to put up with.

To mind mind the point is rather would any of that have happened had the organised vigil been allowed to go ahead ?
    I suspect not.
    Lots of crime wouldn't happen if the police just didn't bother.
    On this issue, you seem completely to miss the point.
    it was within police discretion to allow the original organised vigil to go ahead. Had it done so, it is likely there would have been minimal risk of resulting infections, and there would have been no crime.
    Oh, that makes it all okay then? No. It would (should) have effectively resulted in the end of lockdown in this respect. You cannot allow certain gatherings to happen but not others. This is a really simple point that you and many on here just do not get.
    Why? We allow all sorts of gatherings in much more confined conditions than existed on Clapham Common on Saturday. Supermarkets, transport, remembrance day gatherings. Why is it that this particular outdoors vigil is not allowed when they are? Have you actually been in a Supermarket recently and seen how crowded it is and how few people are following the basic rules?
    FFS. Change the law then. I don't think these laws should ever have come in. But don't take it out on the police who are doing their job.
    "Only doing my job" or "I was following orders" isn't always good enough.

The Police have to determine HOW they do their job, just as others do with their own too.

You can be good or bad at your job depending upon how you do it.
    If any of the women feel that they were treated badly by the individual officers then they are free to make a complaint. But it will have to be about how they were policed rather than that they were policed.
    Well yes isn't that exactly what has been complained about from Saturday night onwards? How it was dealt with?

How many homes that are burgled don't even get visited by the cops, but some grieving women are peacefully holding an outdoor vigil? Send in the goonsquad.
    Nope. the police have ruthlessly been rounding up illegal gatherings for the last few months. It's your fault if you've only just noticed that that's been going on.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,583

LibDems evenly split. Sid Bonkers against, Doris Bonkers for....

Or maybe more thoughtful. See my post on the previous thread where I say why I am split. Real life tends to be more complicated.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited March 2021
    felix said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

My guess would also be that if the video linked to on the last thread gains currency sympathy for these women is going to fall off a cliff.

I don't think that what the police did here was right or necessary but boy, do they have a lot to put up with.

To mind mind the point is rather would any of that have happened had the organised vigil been allowed to go ahead ?
    I suspect not.
    it was within police discretion to allow the original organised vigil to go ahead. Had it done so, it is likely there would have been minimal risk of resulting infections, and there would have been no crime.
    I'm not sure. These situations often attract expremeists looking to provoke a fight - as in the video. It's all very well saying the Police are paid to take verbal abuse - they are. However, when those kind of videos are viewed by the general public their sympathies tend to go in one direction.
    Until they realise that, if you are of that opinion, shouting at the patriarchy, and particularly at the arm of the patriarchy that very particularly in this instance was also the perpetrator of the crime you are protesting about and is now in your mind being confrontational, is wholly understandable.
  • Options
    Totally off-topic, but are there any broadband experts on here? My office (former bank) has a fibre cable. BT couldn't find it, Openreach confirmed it is there, BT local business have had a rummage around and believe its a disconnected leased line.

A quick Google suggests that instead of £normal costs for a fibre connection (say 100Mbps), a leased line can cost £lotsandlots with the cheapest I can spot offering s l o w (10Mbps) for multiple the cost for FTTP. Have I got this right?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    algarkirk said:

Can you get more woke than locking someone up for 10 years for hurting people's feelings?
    https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1371409714861510660

I do think we have perhaps reached the point at which there needs to be a reappraisal of ALL punishments from top to bottom.

I do think there should be some punishment for vandalism and criminal damage although 10 years is clearly ludicrous.

But as a basic principle I would start from the point that no act of vandalism or criminal damage that does not involve endangering someone's life (so excluding things like damaging life saving or medical equipment perhaps) should carry a potential sentence more severe than the lightest sentence for doing actual harm to someone.

I am sure that there would need to be refinement but it seems to send entirely the wrong signal that damaging property is considered more serious than damaging people.
    Punishment is a tough subject. On this analysis a person who with blunt instruments destroyed beyond repair every Rembrandt and Titian in the National Gallery would have a lighter sentence than a drunk bloke in a pub who had a scuffle with a drunk mate and managed to give him a nosebleed and a grazed knee.

Yep I see that which is why I said it would ned refinement. But it seems clear that, perhaps as a historic hangover, you are more likely to get a heavy sentence for a property crime than for a sexual crime even nowadays. That cannot be right.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    https://twitter.com/JoeMurphyLondon/status/1371426838623485958

Wow. This is getting close to Corbyn levels it seems.

It would be interesting to have a betting market on who would be first out: Starmer or Johnson (or Davey).
  • Options
    edited March 2021

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.
    Oh, that makes it all okay then? No. It would (should) have effectively resulted in the end of lockdown in this respect. You cannot allow certain gatherings to happen but not others. This is a really simple point that you and many on here just do not get.
    Why? We allow all sorts of gatherings in much more confined conditions than existed on Clapham Common on Saturday. Supermarkets, transport, remembrance day gatherings. Why is it that this particular outdoors vigil is not allowed when they are? Have you actually been in a Supermarket recently and seen how crowded it is and how few people are following the basic rules?
    FFS. Change the law then. I don't think these laws should ever have come in. But don't take it out on the police who are doing their job.
    You are conflating arguments. You keep going on about how the law should be applied equally across the board and when people come up with many examples of how it is not you shoot off on another tangent.

The issue here is not the law primarily. It is how it is applied by the police at the time in question. There was no need for them to act in the way they did both before hand where they decided to simply ban any gathering, then ignored the gathering through the day including the visit by a member of the royal family and then managed to get into a situation where they are caught manhandling women at a vigil about violence towards women. There is simply no way the police come out of that looking good.

What they could have done is negotiated with the organisers and had a small symbolic vigil with a very limited number of people at Clapham Common and with the organisers asking that no one else attend. That would have been within the scope of the law and the court ruling. But instead they decided to go all heavy handed because they could. Utter stupidity.
    It sounds like you think they should have piled in earlier. That's an odd argument. From what I've seen of pictures from earlier in the day, social distancing was being observed. Perhaps the police should have put a stop to it before it changed in nature after dark, but it very much did change.

And if they negotiate with one group, they'll have to negotiate with all groups.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Totally off-topic, but are there any broadband experts on here? My office (former bank) has a fibre cable. BT couldn't find it, Openreach confirmed it is there, BT local business have had a rummage around and believe its a disconnected leased line.

A quick Google suggests that instead of £normal costs for a fibre connection (say 100Mbps), a leased line can cost £lotsandlots with the cheapest I can spot offering s l o w (10Mbps) for multiple the cost for FTTP. Have I got this right?

See if City Fiber or Hyper Optic are in your area. Openreach for FTTP is probably the worst option.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

Greens tanking a bit, thank goodness Ecogeddon has been called off.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1371429627353260032?s=20

Vote Green, go Blue... :smile:
    Seems those ex Corbyn voters now hate Sir Keir so much they are not only willing to vote Green but now even ready to vote Tory!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.

The Police have to determine HOW they do their job, just as others do with their own too.

If any of the women feel that they were treated badly by the individual officers then they are free to make a complaint. But it will have to be about how they were policed rather than that they were policed.
    Well yes isn't that exactly what has been complained about from Saturday night onwards? How it was dealt with?

How many homes that are burgled don't even get visited by the cops, but some grieving women are peacefully holding an outdoor vigil? Send in the goonsquad.
    Nope. the police have ruthlessly been rounding up illegal gatherings for the last few months. It's your fault if you've only just noticed that that's been going on.
    They haven't though.

The police have overwhelmingly been focusing on high-risk activities, correctly in my opinion. Things like house parties, raves, pub lock-ins. They've taken a very relaxed approach to people "illegally gathering" outside, where risk of transmission is much lower.

Walk around any city centre right now and you'll see big groups of young adults and the police don't care.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Greens tanking a bit, thank goodness Ecogeddon has been called off.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1371429627353260032?s=20

Labour still very high level for them, despite Gordon Starmers falling rating. Find that quitr surprising. But at same time, Tories on 45, hmmm..
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

See if City Fiber or Hyper Optic are in your area. Openreach for FTTP is probably the worst option.
    I have Openreach FTTP. :(
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.

I think you're projecting.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.
    I'm not sure. These situations often attract expremeists looking to provoke a fight - as in the video. It's all very well saying the Police are paid to take verbal abuse - they are. However, when those kind of videos are viewed by the general public their sympathies tend to go in one direction.
    Until they realise that, if you are of that opinion, shouting at the patriarchy, and particularly at the arm of the patriarchy that very particularly in this instance was also the perpetrator of the crime you are protesting about and is now in your mind being confrontational, is wholly understandable.
    Until seems to be a long time coming for that particular group of people......
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.

They haven't though.

The police have overwhelmingly been focusing on high-risk activities, correctly in my opinion. Things like house parties, raves, pub lock-ins. They've taken a very relaxed approach to people "illegally gathering" outside, where risk of transmission is much lower.

Walk around any city centre right now and you'll see big groups of young adults and the police don't care.
    But they have been going after demonstrations!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.
    It would be understandable if it was the particular policeman accused of the crime that they were shouting at. But this slips quite easily into the implication is that ALL policemen are guilty, or that all men are guilty. Many people bridle at such thinking.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911
    Richard Tyndall is in rude form today.

It helps that I agree with him, but certainly back to his best in terms of clarity of thinking and presentation of his views.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Don't get me wrong, it's better than no FTTP, just that the other two major providers are best in class on speed and customer service.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    algarkirk said:

Can you get more woke than locking someone up for 10 years for hurting people's feelings?

I do think we have perhaps reached the point at which there needs to be a reappraisal of ALL punishments from top to bottom.

I do think there should be some punishment for vandalism and criminal damage although 10 years is clearly ludicrous.

But as a basic principle I would start from the point that no act of vandalism or criminal damage that does not involve endangering someone's life (so excluding things like damaging life saving or medical equipment perhaps) should carry a potential sentence more severe than the lightest sentence for doing actual harm to someone.

I am sure that there would need to be refinement but it seems to send entirely the wrong signal that damaging property is considered more serious than damaging people.
    Punishment is a tough subject. On this analysis a person who with blunt instruments destroyed beyond repair every Rembrandt and Titian in the National Gallery would have a lighter sentence than a drunk bloke in a pub who had a scuffle with a drunk mate and managed to give him a nosebleed and a grazed knee.

Someone who destroyed the 25 Rembrandts and 20 Titians in the NG beyond repair before anyone could apprehend him would have to be quite remarkable in strength, single-mindedness and perseverance.

Absolutely no point in putting him in prison.
  • Options
    On the recent polls - interesting that the Tories on 45% seems to be becoming a thing.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    MaxPB said:

Imagine if Corbyn had got in and we would all be stuck with the Commie Cable Co...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138

Cookie said:

Pathetic.

How about the "emotional value" of someone's home being burgled. Does that get 10 years?
    This is symptomatic of something that has been happening for 20 years at least in various guises.

People behave badly, in a way that is against the law but which for various reasons tends not to be prosecuted. So tougher laws/punishments are brought in. When all we need is the will/resources to enforce the existing laws.
    What do people expect? The entire justice system has been cut and let to rot since c. 2010, on all accounts.

To demonstrate - I'm a keen law student looking for my first legal job, I would be open to working in criminal law, and yet there's very few, if any, job vacancies in that area. You'd think with the huge backlog there would be a big demand for criminal lawyers. Clearly not.
    Historians looking back at our society in a 100 years time will be entirely baffled why our solution to everything is "more laws, implemented quickly without much discussion or thought" at the same time as we want to cut costs in policing, prisons and the court system. How does anyone ever expect this combination will work?
    It's not supposed to work, it's supposed to allow politicians to "do" something. So we have the completely ludicrous Hate Speech bill in Scotland and the equally ludicrous Police bill in England.

If they still have politicians, as opposed to some (hopefully benevolent) AI, they will understand.
  • Options
    Late to the party on this one so please let me know if anyone else has jumped to the same conclusion I did - someone, somewhere, wants to get rid of Cressida Dick.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,934
    MaxPB said:

I doubt either are options in a small village in rural Aberdeenshire.

My best advice would be to take whatever you can get and signup for starlink at the first opportunity.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365

HYUFD said:

In the UK 39% of Twitter users back Labour compared to only 32% of the UK population and only 34% of Twitter users back the Tories compared to 41% of the UK population

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053168017720008

If those figures are correct, Twitter is actually much more in line with the UK population than I expected.
    Well, yes, but twitter users is not exactly the same as the twittersphere. The majority of 'twitter users' rarely, if ever tweet.
    As in real life, the loudest voices are not necessarily representative.
  • Options
    The VP of the Spanish government [from Podemos] has quit to fight the Madrid regional election.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

It would be interesting to have a betting market on who would be first out: Starmer or Johnson (or Davey).

Im increasingly convinced he will face a leadership challenge after the May elections. It will be hard for him to gain any polling traction in the next few weeks with the vaccine rollout going well.

I also believe he would win said leadership challenge and it might actually do him some good to have the spotlight shone on him.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Italy into lockdown. Two types of zone: red and orange. Everywhere red for Easter.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/13/europe/italy-coronavirus-national-lockdown-intl/index.html
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Don't get me wrong, it's better than no FTTP, just that the other two major providers are best in class on speed and customer service.
    There are other alternatives.Companies supply broadband bia an aerial yo a mast , usually on a hill.. Leith Hill in Dorking is one.. Kijoma supplies via there
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,115

Cookie said:

Pathetic.

How about the "emotional value" of someone's home being burgled. Does that get 10 years?
    This is symptomatic of something that has been happening for 20 years at least in various guises.

People behave badly, in a way that is against the law but which for various reasons tends not to be prosecuted. So tougher laws/punishments are brought in. When all we need is the will/resources to enforce the existing laws.
    What do people expect? The entire justice system has been cut and let to rot since c. 2010, on all accounts.

To demonstrate - I'm a keen law student looking for my first legal job, I would be open to working in criminal law, and yet there's very few, if any, job vacancies in that area. You'd think with the huge backlog there would be a big demand for criminal lawyers. Clearly not.
    Historians looking back at our society in a 100 years time will be entirely baffled why our solution to everything is "more laws, implemented quickly without much discussion or thought" at the same time as we want to cut costs in policing, prisons and the court system. How does anyone ever expect this combination will work?
    It's that lack of seriousness earnest young Rory Stewart would talk about.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,252

Late to the party on this one so please let me know if anyone else has jumped to the same conclusion I did - someone, somewhere, wants to get rid of Cressida Dick.

It will be interesting to see if the person in the chain of command who apparently over-ruled the local police is found.....
  • Options

It will be interesting to see if the person in the chain of command who apparently over-ruled the local police is found.....
    Its also amusing to see some on here claim that the Police had no choice but to enforce the law this way, when apparently the local Police wanted it Policed differently (quite rightly).
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.
    It would be understandable if it was the particular policeman accused of the crime that they were shouting at. But this slips quite easily into the implication is that ALL policemen are guilty, or that all men are guilty. Many people bridle at such thinking.
    Well who knows if the police are institutionally this or institutionally that. I'm pretty sure they are not institutionally abductors and murderers but you have a situation where a serving policeman is responsible for this abduction and murder and hence I can see why the need for a lighter touch might have been required.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Im increasingly convinced he will face a leadership challenge after the May elections. It will be hard for him to gain any polling traction in the next few weeks with the vaccine rollout going well.

I also believe he would win said leadership challenge and it might actually do him some good to have the spotlight shone on him.
    It would probably depend on who challenged him. If it's RLB or someone he'd probably win again.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.
    You can, and the law says just that.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830

algarkirk said:

Yep I see that which is why I said it would ned refinement. But it seems clear that, perhaps as a historic hangover, you are more likely to get a heavy sentence for a property crime than for a sexual crime even nowadays. That cannot be right.
    The sensible way to do it would be not to have any sentences set for crime but instead a points system which the judge graded the crime on.

Then depending on how many points you got determines your sentence

So for example

Causing death 20 points
    Premeditation 10 points
    Emotional trauma 5 points
    Severe injury requiring hospitalisation 10 points
    etc

Points for mitigation as well
    such as provacation -5points

Then look up the maximum and minimum tariffs on the chart
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

Labour needed somebody like Lil Peep, though ideally not dead from epic levels of Fentanyl consumption, but they've got somebody like Michael Buble.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,031
    https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/03/05/russias-excess-death-toll-approaches-400k-a73168

Russia recorded more than 55,000 excess deaths in January, data from the country’s official statistics agency (Rosstat) published Friday showed.

Since the start of the pandemic until the end of January — the latest such data is available — Russia has now recorded 394,000 more deaths than in the previous period. That represents a 24% increase in fatality and one of the highest excess death tolls in the world, even after adjusting for population.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,934

Italy into lockdown. Two types of zone: red and orange. Everywhere red for Easter.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/13/europe/italy-coronavirus-national-lockdown-intl/index.html

R running at 1.6 - it's going to take a while (months) to get that number under control.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    felix said:

On the recent polls - interesting that the Tories on 45% seems to be becoming a thing.

Also seems to back up the view that Starmer is much more attractive to LDs than to soft Tories.

Whether he would hold those LD switchers during an election campaign is another question.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    MaxPB said:

10 cases of side effects seems like a very, very small number considering it will be many hundreds of thousands that will have had it by now.

The reporting of this in Europe has become a complete joke.
    Meanwhile, PA reports:

"Two doses of either the Pfizer/BioNTech or Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine offer similar protection against coronavirus as natural immunity after infection, new research suggests.

None of the 1,456 healthcare workers at Oxford University Hospitals (OUH) NHS Foundation Trust who had received two vaccines had a symptomatic infection when followed up more than 14 days after their second vaccination."
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.
    You are conflating arguments. You keep going on about how the law should be applied equally across the board and when people come up with many examples of how it is not you shoot off on another tangent.

The issue here is not the law primarily. It is how it is applied by the police at the time in question. There was no need for them to act in the way they did both before hand where they decided to simply ban any gathering, then ignored the gathering through the day including the visit by a member of the royal family and then managed to get into a situation where they are caught manhandling women at a vigil about violence towards women. There is simply no way the police come out of that looking good.

What they could have done is negotiated with the organisers and had a small symbolic vigil with a very limited number of people at Clapham Common and with the organisers asking that no one else attend. That would have been within the scope of the law and the court ruling. But instead they decided to go all heavy handed because they could. Utter stupidity.
    It sounds like you think they should have piled in earlier. That's an odd argument. From what I've seen of pictures from earlier in the day, social distancing was being observed. Perhaps the police should have put a stop to it before it changed in nature after dark, but it very much did change.

And if they negotiate with one group, they'll have to negotiate with all groups.
    No I don't think they should have 'piled in' at all. It really wasn't necessary.

From all the accounts I have seen the nature of the vigil only changed after the police decided to get involved.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Wales 9,433 / 6,857
    340k UK equivalent from Drakeford. Not terrible for a sunday
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

It would probably depend on who challenged him. If it's RLB or someone he'd probably win again.
    Have you any thoughts on who might be able to beat him? I was thinking possibly John McDonnell or Clive Lewis would have an outside chance of rallying the troops on the left. Realistically there's no obvious replacement.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    eek said:

R running at 1.6 - it's going to take a while (months) to get that number under control.
    Christ. We didn't go that high in the last peak....

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Labour need a gritty northern or midlander type with no obvious virtue-signalling "woke" history but with a "pure" enough background that middle-class woke types would consider them an embodiment of Labour values.

Someone with a background in business in the North of England would fit the bill, a northern Andy Street.

The problem with UK political parties is that you primarily have to suck-up for decades to be considered for selection rather than picking people who'd actually be good.

And someone who hasn't been bogged down in the self-indulgent political sub-culture would be good.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402

Given the general backing for incredibly strict lockdown measures these figures are no real surprise, are they? The issue is surely more about how the vigil was policed once it did go ahead. Did YouGov ask about that?

I am a bit surprised and disappointed that Dick has such strong backing from the public. It suggests that they saw nothing wrong with the police response to the protest.
    I don't yet have a full account of what the police response *was*, so I don't see how that can be judged.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.
    The point is that they would also have been doing their job, entirely within the law, had they allowed the carefully organised vigil to go ahead.
    It's not certain that the outcome would have been better, but it is extremely likely.

The senior leadership of the Met is not fit for purpose.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wales 9,433 / 6,857

Saturday probably.....
  • Options

Labour need a gritty northern or midlander type with no obvious virtue-signalling "woke" history but with a "pure" enough background that middle-class woke types would consider them an embodiment of Labour values.

Someone with a background in business in the North of England would fit the bill, a northern Andy Street.

The problem with UK political parties is that you primarily have to suck-up for decades to be considered for selection rather than picking people who'd actually be good.

And someone who hasn't been bogged down in the self-indulgent political sub-culture would be good.

And if they've been to university, I think being a member of any political society should be a disqualifying factor.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.
    The point is that they would also have been doing their job, entirely within the law, had they allowed the carefully organised vigil to go ahead.
    It's not certain that the outcome would have been better, but it is extremely likely.

And you are sure the buck should stop with the senior leadership of the Met?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.

No I don't think they should have 'piled in' at all. It really wasn't necessary.

From all the accounts I have seen the nature of the vigil only changed after the police decided to get involved.
    Richard, you're a sensible old cove, sometimes. Can you enlighten me?

Why on earth did the fuzz go in so heavy-handed? It makes no sense at all.

• Options
    The polls and the increased optimism look like making May's election a challenge for Labour

https://twitter.com/KellyIpsosMORI/status/1371437844556828676?s=19
  • Options

A gigabit leased line currently runs at around £300 per month, AFAIK. That bandwidth would be exclusive to whoever leased it, unlike the consumer supplies, where dozens of people are effectively using the same capacity.
    50 people would be be able to use such a leased line and get something similar to BT's 100Mb consumer service.
  • Options
    Whatever your views on them a picture of Kate Middleton in handcuffs pinned down by five police officers would have seen the Royal Family's popularity soar by 25%.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,498
    edited March 2021
    Fishing said:

felix said:

Also seems to back up the view that Starmer is much more attractive to LDs than to soft Tories.

Whether he would hold those LD switchers during an election campaign is another question.
    To win SKS needs loads of Tory voters to switch, in the right places. The Labour problem is not about the leadership, and any leader faces the same problem: Labour identity. A recent poll said 50% of Labour supporters were republicans. For the pro monarchy majority that's a huge cultural gulf to cross whatever the leadership says or does.

Their other identity problem is that Labour exists in pockets and clumps without a spectrum of support. Posh white students/urban graduates; fellow travellers of every micro group; most BAMES; the largest urban areas; the champagne socialist radical chic Toynbee/Guardian set; the public sector payroll vote. None of this amounts to a majority, nor is it a coherent set of overlapping groups, and even though it makes lots of noise shows no sign of listening.

Jess Phillips would be my best guess for turning that lot into something good. But even with her stellar qualities I am doubtful.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,929
    Just following up this:

Phil said:

Scott_xP said:
    Because Dick is saying "You TOLD me I had one over-riding priority: protect the lockdown. So I did."

The correct response is "Yeah - but not like THAT."

Did nobody even consider the optics of having male Met coppers piling in to arrest and cuff women on a vigil - a vigil for a woman kidnapped and murdered by a male Met copper?

They should still let go of Dick.
    That Cretin Shaun Bailey is campaigning on Khan's failure with regards to a Commissioner who reports into the Home Secretary. Whilst Dick (and Khan) should resign, they won't. Dick says "I'm doing what you [Patel] told me to. Patel openly thinks more coppers should twat more protesters round the head, and besides which if Dick remains in place unfired by her, the party can campaign against Khan's shameful failure to fire her.
    As I understand things the law is very clear that both the Mayor of London and the Home Secretary have no direct control of operational decisions made by the police. There are very strong controls & separation of powers in place, and for good reasons.

Also, (again, as I understand things) legally neither is able to call for the resignation of Cressida Dick - there’s a weird dance of letters between the Mayor & the Home Secretary & the Police that has to happen before either of them is legally able to call for her resignation.

So any criticism of either Khan or Patel over the actions of the MET on Saturday night is simply political opportunism. Neither had the power to control what the police chose to do, so long as it was within their legal powers (and it seems pretty clear that their actions were probably lawful, even if woefully misguided).
    They do have Dame Cressida's telephone number though, don't they? It seems fairly clear that a major issue was the fact that the Police refused to have a dialogue with Reclaim These Streets and instead had a court battle then threatened large fines.

But this was a completely unrealistic strategy given emotions were running high, people were going to congregate, and the Police had a goodwill problem, in part because of the circumstances of the case. So they needed to be working with a responsible organising group, offering to provide volunteer marshals and so on, to keep it orderly.

Patel and/or Khan could have had that discussion with Dick. As politicians, they are actually very well placed to judge the public mood and see that the alternative to an organised vigil was not no vigil but a disorganised event. She might have ignored them and said "I'm the professional copper here". But it looks as if they either didn't have concerns over a pretty surprising Police strategy to say the least, or didn't raise them.

On Police strategy while the event was going on, totally agree that Patel and Khan realistically can't contribute. But there was a build up to this over several days, and the danger was fairly clear.
    They may have had discussions, but the point is that the Home Office & the Mayor’s Office have no direct control, by statute - it’s illegal for them to interfere with operational police decisions as I understand things. They can’t tell the police what to do.
  • Options

It helps that I agree with him, but certainly back to his best in terms of clarity of thinking and presentation of his views.

Wow. Thankyou. :)
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Have you any thoughts on who might be able to beat him? I was thinking possibly John McDonnell or Clive Lewis would have an outside chance of rallying the troops on the left. Realistically there's no obvious replacement.
    You're right, there's no obvious replacement.

It makes me think the American system of open primaries really helps good people from outside politics get elected to positions of reasonable responsibility — City and State governorships in order to build a profile before running for federal level. We don't really have an equivalent here. Maybe "metro mayors" can be that in the future but they certainly aren't yet.
  • Options

Its also amusing to see some on here claim that the Police had no choice but to enforce the law this way, when apparently the local Police wanted it Policed differently (quite rightly).
    It's beginning to smell like internal politicking played a part.

I recall from the de Menezes case that there was bad blood between Dick and the Surveillance Team. One of the two plainly lied but it was never established which. Her subsequent elevation would suggest she was exonerated. You have to wonder if there is resentment in parts of the force.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Wales 9,433 / 6,857

Saturday probably.....
    NI : 4,266 1st dose/ 2,229 2nd dose (Calculation) (235k UK Equiv)
    Or 5,452 total (Their dashboard) (198k UK Equiv)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

10 cases of side effects seems like a very, very small number considering it will be many hundreds of thousands that will have had it by now.

The reporting of this in Europe has become a complete joke.
    The Norwegian cases reporting reduced levels of blood platelets are unlike anything seen from vaccine side effects so far.
    Note that they were in healthcare workers, and the condition is a not uncommon side effect of Covid.

Immune Thrombocytopenia Secondary to COVID-19: a Systematic Review
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7501509/
    Immune thrombocytopenia, often known as immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), has emerged as an important complication of COVID-19. A systematic review was done to analyze the clinical profile and outcomes in a total of 45 cases of new-onset ITP in COVID-19 patients described in literature until date. A comprehensive approach is essential for diagnosing COVID-19-associated ITP after excluding several concomitant factors that can cause thrombocytopenia in COVID-19. Majority of ITP cases (71%) were found to be elderly (> 50 years) and 75% cases had moderate-to-severe COVID-19. Three patients (7%) were in the pediatric age group. Reports of ITP in asymptomatic COVID-19 patients (7%) underscore the need for COVID-19 testing in newly diagnosed patients with ITP irrespective of COVID-19 symptoms amid this pandemic. ITP onset occurred in 20% cases 3 weeks after onset of COVID-19 symptoms, with many reports after clinical recovery. SARS-CoV-2-mediated immune thrombocytopenia can be attributed to the underlying immune dysregulation, susceptibility mutations in SOCS 1, and other mechanisms, including molecular mimicry, cryptic antigen expression, and epitope spreading. No bleeding manifestations were reported in 31% cases at diagnosis. Severe life-threatening bleeding was uncommon. One case of mortality was attributed to intracranial hemorrhage. Secondary Evans syndrome was diagnosed in one case. Good initial response to short course of glucocorticoids and intravenous immunoglobulin has been found with the exception of delayed lag response in one case. Thrombopoietin receptor agonist usage as a second-line agent has been noted in few cases for short duration with no adverse events. In the relatively short follow-up period, four relapses of ITP were found....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,971
    It's unfortunate for our continental neighbours that they don't have a nearby country with millions of people vaccinated with the Oxford/AstraZeneca dose which would provide a huge reservoir of real world data.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Yes - they are trying the old "Any criticism of the SMT is an attack on the rank-and-file"

Interestingly, not even the most angry people have suggested that the actual policeman at the demo are in the wrong.
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441

Pathetic.

The maximum sentence for burglary is 14 years. In practice, under the current sentencing guidelines, the maximum an offender will get is 6 years. That, of course, is for the most serious offences.

There is a similar gap between the maximum sentence and the sentencing guidelines for most offences. So setting the maximum at 10 years means the absolute maximum anyone is likely to get is 4 years with community service being the most likely outcome.
  • Options
    German doctors call for immediate lockdown to avoid third wave
    Intensive care doctors in Germany warned the country would need to make an “immediate return” to partial lockdown if it is to avoid stumbling into a dangerous third Covid wave, AFP reports.

Christian Karagiannidis, director of Germany’s intensive care register, told broadcaster RBB:

From the data we currently have and with the spread of the British mutation, we would argue strongly to return immediately into a lockdown to avoid a strong third wave. We won’t gain much from staying open for the next one or two weeks, because that will quickly bring us to a high level and make it twice as hard to push the numbers down again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/mar/15/coronavirus-live-news-astrazeneca-finds-no-evidence-of-blood-clot-risk-as-netherlands-suspends-vaccine?CMP=twt_gu&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium#Echobox=1615809952

I'm not sure calling B.117 the "British" mutation will help persuade people to get the Oxford AZ jab.....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I suspect not.

And you are sure the buck should stop with the senior leadership of the Met?
    No, but it ought not to bypass them completely.
  • Options
    Thailand has paused, looked at the data, decided it's nothing out the ordianry and resumed their program before I could brew up a coffee this morning.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Vaccine anecdote, my wife mid 30s, SE England, just got the call for later in the week.

We’re pretty baffled what makes her “high risk”. Have heard the same from several people in their 30s in recent days. My suspicion is that the programme to do the over 50s ahead of schedule is such a slam dunk that they’re stuffing Cat 6 with any marginal past health event they can think of. That way they can make serious headway on Phase 2 without having to declare that Phase 1 is complete, which is no doubt a trigger point that the behavioural scientists are flagging.
  • Options
    @Richard_Tyndall
    @Philip_Thompson
    @Gallowgate
    @Nigelb

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/13/police-in-england-using-covid-lockdown-rules-to-halt-any-protests

Analysis by Netpol, the Network for Police Monitoring, reveals there have been at least nine high-profile instances of police using Covid regulations against demonstrators, including two asylum seekers protesting outside Napier barracks in Folkestone, Kent and a woman fined £500 for organising a protest after the death of a man released from police custody in Cardiff.

A nurse who organised a socially distanced protest against low pay in the NHS was issued with a £10,000 fine last weekend. Karen Reissmann, a mental health nurse, said she had carried out a risk assessment and the 40 or so people attending were standing at least two metres apart divided by cones laid out in St Peter’s Square in Manchester. “We are health workers and we’ve seen what Covid does. I had no intention of being responsible for anybody catching Covid,” she said. “But the police had no interest in whether the protest was safe. They just gave me a fine.”

Now, clearly the Guardian thinks this is all wrong, and I'd agree. But simply leaving it up to the police to make a judgement call is not fair.

Plenty on here wanted plod to go after Dominic Cummings, which would clearly have been over the top even if the PM was wrong to not sack him on the spot.

Ultimately, the police can never win. The politicians need to grow a pair and take ownership of the mess they've created. Simply draw a distinction between indoors and outdoors and be done with it.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,498
    edited March 2021
    TOPPING said:

Whatever your views on them a picture of Kate Middleton in handcuffs pinned down by five police officers would have seen the Royal Family's popularity soar by 25%.

The fact that Kate and the arrested/handcuffed were acting at different times in more or less the same place about the same cause shows how politically difficult this is. Particularly as no-one wants to point out that there is no solution whatsoever. It unites the apolitical class across the country with a well organised, urban, campaigning group. It may all get messy. And it will fascinating to see who gets to 'lead' and 'own' the movement.

Time for Mary Berry and Joan Bakewell to join forces.

• Options

Wow. Thankyou. :)
    I'd second that.
  • Options

Depends on whether your local exchange has the kit installed for ISPs to offer FTTP. Check with Zen - their online checker ought to be able to tell you whether they can offer it in your area. If so, they’ll give you a gigabit connection for ~£60 / month I believe (actual bitrate may vary - the checker claims I would get 270Mbps).

A one off hookup to a piece of dark fibre that happens to go to the exchange is going to cost a lot more, unless you can find someone who has kit in the exchange already.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

German doctors call for immediate lockdown to avoid third wave
    Intensive care doctors in Germany warned the country would need to make an “immediate return” to partial lockdown if it is to avoid stumbling into a dangerous third Covid wave, AFP reports.

Christian Karagiannidis, director of Germany’s intensive care register, told broadcaster RBB:

From the data we currently have and with the spread of the British mutation, we would argue strongly to return immediately into a lockdown to avoid a strong third wave. We won’t gain much from staying open for the next one or two weeks, because that will quickly bring us to a high level and make it twice as hard to push the numbers down again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/mar/15/coronavirus-live-news-astrazeneca-finds-no-evidence-of-blood-clot-risk-as-netherlands-suspends-vaccine?CMP=twt_gu&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium#Echobox=1615809952

I'm not sure calling B.117 the "British" mutation will help persuade people to get the Oxford AZ jab.....

TBF we do ourselves refer to SA variant, and Brazil variant. Would you prefer them to say Kent, rather than British?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911
    tlg86 said:

@Richard_Tyndall
    @Philip_Thompson
    @Gallowgate
    @Nigelb

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/13/police-in-england-using-covid-lockdown-rules-to-halt-any-protests

Analysis by Netpol, the Network for Police Monitoring, reveals there have been at least nine high-profile instances of police using Covid regulations against demonstrators, including two asylum seekers protesting outside Napier barracks in Folkestone, Kent and a woman fined £500 for organising a protest after the death of a man released from police custody in Cardiff.

A nurse who organised a socially distanced protest against low pay in the NHS was issued with a £10,000 fine last weekend. Karen Reissmann, a mental health nurse, said she had carried out a risk assessment and the 40 or so people attending were standing at least two metres apart divided by cones laid out in St Peter’s Square in Manchester. “We are health workers and we’ve seen what Covid does. I had no intention of being responsible for anybody catching Covid,” she said. “But the police had no interest in whether the protest was safe. They just gave me a fine.”

Now, clearly the Guardian thinks this is all wrong, and I'd agree. But simply leaving it up to the police to make a judgement call is not fair.

Plenty on here wanted plod to go after Dominic Cummings, which would clearly have been over the top even if the PM was wrong to not sack him on the spot.

Ultimately, the police can never win. The politicians need to grow a pair and take ownership of the mess they've created. Simply draw a distinction between indoors and outdoors and be done with it.

Will these £10,000 fines ever be paid? What happens if you refuse to pay them?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    moonshine said:

Vaccine anecdote, my wife mid 30s, SE England, just got the call for later in the week.

We’re pretty baffled what makes her “high risk”. Have heard the same from several people in their 30s in recent days. My suspicion is that the programme to do the over 50s ahead of schedule is such a slam dunk that they’re stuffing Cat 6 with any marginal past health event they can think of. That way they can make serious headway on Phase 2 without having to declare that Phase 1 is complete, which is no doubt a trigger point that the behavioural scientists are flagging.

I think so. My B-in-L, very mild asthma, had his first jab last week. he is I think early 40's
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830
    As for some good news for a change

For all the people who were complaining about not being able to retire to an eu country. I came across this

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/19/sun-sea-safety-greece-woos-british-pensioners-with-7-income-tax-rate
  • Options

It's unfortunate for our continental neighbours that they don't have a nearby country with millions of people vaccinated with the Oxford/AstraZeneca dose which would provide a huge reservoir of real world data.

I agree. Tragic.

What setting for the trebuchet, this time? *all* the rocks?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

tlg86 said:

@Richard_Tyndall
    @Philip_Thompson
    @Gallowgate
    @Nigelb

You can challenge any fine in court. If you win, you won't have to pay. If you lose you'll have to pay plus some court costs would be my guess.
    I know police Scotland have confiscated fines directly from bank accounts when someone refused to pay.
  • Options
    Don't know if this has been posted before, or is new evidence:

https://twitter.com/LSHTM/status/1371436117292150785?s=20
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Scott_xP said:
    The government is on 45% in the polls - they don't need to give a toss about letters from some nonentities.
  • Options

moonshine said:

I think so. My B-in-L, very mild asthma, had his first jab last week. he is I think early 40's
    My GP is saying that everyone on their list who is over 50 should have had an vaccinations appointment setup by now & to phone them if you’ve been overlooked.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@Richard_Tyndall
    @Philip_Thompson
    @Gallowgate
    @Nigelb

I don't disagree with a lot of that.
    But in this specific case, the issues were very clear and a matter of public debate before the event. It was also obvious that the protest would happen, despite police attempts to stop it - even a member of the Royal family turned out (though surprisingly was not banged up...).
    The police had the entirely legal option of allowing it to go ahead in a much more controlled and organised manner; they refused to take that option.
  • Options

moonshine said:

I think it is also a case that GPs are being very broad about what constitutes a "risk" - the attitude is probably that since everyone is due to get vaccinated in a few months anyway, what's the harm in using very wide criteria?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,583
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

@Richard_Tyndall
    @Philip_Thompson
    @Gallowgate
    @Nigelb

You can challenge any fine in court. If you win, you won't have to pay. If you lose you'll have to pay plus some court costs would be my guess.
    I know police Scotland have confiscated fines directly from bank accounts when someone refused to pay.
    A R4 programme covered this the other week (sorry can't remember which) and I don't know if they were referring to all the covid fines or just the £10,000 ones, but basically practically none had been paid.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    moonshine said:

59 year old in Scotland still waiting for an appointment. Disappointing.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

Angela Rayner.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

@Richard_Tyndall
    @Philip_Thompson
    @Gallowgate
    @Nigelb

I don't disagree with a lot of that.
    But in this specific case, the issues were very clear and a matter of public debate before the event. It was also obvious that the protest would happen, despite police attempts to stop it - even a member of the Royal family turned out (though surprisingly was not banged up...).
    The police had the entirely legal option of allowing it to go ahead in a much more controlled and organised manner; they refused to take that option.
    Yes, because they get absolutely slaughtered for not applying the law fairly. The likes Piers Corbyn would have every right to kick off if we start allowing some but not all gatherings.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@Richard_Tyndall
    @Philip_Thompson
    @Gallowgate
    @Nigelb

Sorry but no it is the Police's job to make judgement calls.

We don't hire robocops.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,031
    moonshine said:

Very sensible if that is what they're doing.
This discussion has been closed.