Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft’s mega poll has UKIP on 16pc – the highest hi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft’s mega poll has UKIP on 16pc – the highest his surveys have ever recorded

The latest Lord Ashcroft mega poll has just been published as part of a study on how the Tories could win at GE2015. The poll was carried out online amongst a sample of 8,053 more than a month ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    It's odd how UKIP are polling so little more in Euro Election polls than they are in Westminster polls. Does this mean they have all their voters saying they'll vote for them in both now, or that they're going to absolutely destroy Labour in May? Or some combination, time will tell.
  • Options
    Considering I keep hearing on here that before people get to the ballot box in 2015 they will be asking themselves which party will make THEM better off in the next five years, the poll gives us the answer for what people are saying at the moment.
  • Options
    Doesn't Ashcroft usually carry out phone polling though?

Online polling tends to boost UKIP I seem to recall.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    39-30-8. Labour majority not even 100. What's the point ?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Embargoed Poll Results :

Stuart Jacobite Coalition 58%
    Saxon Alliance 12%
    Norman (Tebbit) Independence Party 11%
    Whig Smithsonians 9%
    Plantagenet Popular Front 6%
    Godwinson Natural Law Party 2%
    Pictish National Party 1%
    Hanovarian-Saxe Coburg Gotha Alliance 1%

Sample Size 37million undertaken AD 1050-1910
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

UK Polling Report did a piece on 'house effects'.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/7744

YouGov are an online pollster, and they produce relatively low numbers for UKIP.
  • Options
    On balance, I guess I am one of the 20%.

Labour's vote share is remarkably consistent across all polls - whether online or phone.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

Labour up ten, the Coalition Parties down twenty-one from 2010. That tells you pretty much all you need to know.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Quincel said:

It's odd how UKIP are polling so little more in Euro Election polls than they are in Westminster polls. Does this mean they have all their voters saying they'll vote for them in both now, or that they're going to absolutely destroy Labour in May? Or some combination, time will tell.

I seem to recall a 'do you like party x' poll question that had half of current-Conservatives with a positive view of UKIP. I'd expect voters like that to vote UKIP in the EU elections.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

39-30-8. Labour majority not even 100. What's the point ?

Where do those numbers come from? Looks like 39-30-16 to me.

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    edited January 2014
    The fieldwork is from 4th-10th November.So quite a bit prior to the Autumn statement.That might have exaggerated the Labour lead a bit.Anyway thanks to Lord Ashcroft.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Quincel said:

I think the better performance of UKIP at Euro elections is because their voters are more likely to turn out. Europe is a more important issue for them than for supporters of other parties.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @oflynnexpress: RT @Nigel_Farage: Ashcroft's poll makes it clear that the majority of UKIP support does not come from the Tories; 60% of UKIP support comes from elsewhere

Which explains this

@thetimes: Miliband’s warning over “low-skilled migrant workers” http://t.co/zX9Ir9unYK
  • Options

UK Polling Report did a piece on 'house effects'.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/7744

YouGov are an online pollster, and they produce relatively low numbers for UKIP.
    Thanks - had a look and it generally confirms my recollection that online boosts UKIP and earlier Ashcroft polls have included at least some telephone polling from what I can see. Still - a good result for UKIP given the large sample and lack of prompt.
  • Options
    A significant percentage of Labour voters don't want a Labour government. Odd.
  • Options

A Labour government would mean more Harriet Harman on the telly.

• Options
    Sebastian Payne ‏@SebastianEPayne 12m

Word cloud on Ed Miliband from @LordAshcroft's Project Blueprint polling: weak, useless, idiot, trying and Wallace

pic.twitter.com/NfC8WgptAI
  • Options
    Sebastian Payne ‏@SebastianEPayne 9m

While Cameron word cloud contains out of touch, competent, posh, smug, toff, arrogant and Prime Minister

pic.twitter.com/1OiSH99FYP
  • Options
    @IsabelOakeshott: Cameron issues vigorous defence of so-called tax cut for millionaires - hinting he'd like to cut 45p rate further. Will please City types
  • Options

They want a coalition between Labour and the Lib Dems I guess - a perfectly reasonable stance.
  • Options
    NICK ROBINSON, the BBC’s political editor, has criticised the corporation for making a “terrible mistake” in censoring concerns over immigration for fear that it would stir racism.

Robinson said that senior figures in the BBC had believed that having an open, uncensored debate about immigration would “unleash some terrible side of the British public”.

“They feared having a conversation about immigration, they feared the consequence,” he said in an interview with The Sunday Times this weekend.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1359525.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_01_04
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Quincel said:

I think the better performance of UKIP at Euro elections is because their voters are more likely to turn out. Europe is a more important issue for them than for supporters of other parties.
    I buy that theory to some extent, but it can't be the entire story. They got 16% of the vote in June 2009 while polling a mere 3% or so at Westminster (to pick a random YG from late May).

EDIT: To clarify, if that multiple were repeated now they'd literally win all the votes available in 2014. Either they are going to overperform current polls in the Euros or some of the people who in May-June 2009 said they would vote UKIP in the Euros but not in a General are now willing to vote for both, at least when they answer polls now.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@IsabelOakeshott: Cameron issues vigorous defence of so-called tax cut for millionaires - hinting he'd like to cut 45p rate further. Will please City types

I guess Labour and the Lib Dems will be pretty pleased as well.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    chuffin' hell will you please stop changing threads at the drop of a hat.

OK _again_ FPT re. Gove and our hosts quite amusing response to him and anyway I'm off to bed but I mean really.

Gove comes across as geeky, super, absolutely non-PM material more's the pity of our telegenic times and absolutely sharp as a pin and bright as a button.

That's why he unnerves people like Mike Smithson and less smart lefters.

He is thoughtful, has the courage of his convictions and doesn't mind you knowing that he is smart in contradistinction to others who pretend they are man of the people fools and are actually bright (but of course not as bright as they like to think they are).

I haven't followed his Great War pronouncements but I think it safe to say that you will find every flavour of populist, academic, left, right, Chlesea, Moltke to Joan Littlewood interpretation of it out there. So why single anyone out for their own view and criticise it beats me.

Well done Gove as giving strength and depth to the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    @HYUFD But is this an invasion by an outside power, or an internal revolution.
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft polling commentary

`And dissatisfied though many of them are with Cameron, most prefer him to the alternative.`

If ever there was damning with faint praise...
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Word cloud on Ed Miliband from @LordAshcroft's Project Blueprint polling: weak, useless, idiot, trying and Wallace

I want Gromit in charge.
  • Options
    oh god and as for UKIP on 16% wouldn't you stick two fingers up to the pollsters or your preferred or least favourite party by saying "yes" to UKIP? Of course you would and that is just what >11% of these respondents have done.

UKIP on 16% now is a meaningless stat. Not that we're short of them here.

UKIP @ GE2015 is of course the meaningful stat and that will be safely <5-6%.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I guess Labour and the Lib Dems will be pretty pleased as well.
    Cameron trying to put some clear blue water between Tory and Labour. Seems strange when most peoples incomes are being outstripped by inflation, well apart from those at the top. Go Lynton!
  • Options
    Goodnight.
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft:

"my research looking at the state of this voting coalition, shows it is far from impossible for the Tories to win outright. But to do so they will need the votes of everyone who supported them last time, plus practically everyone who is even prepared to think about doing so next time."

Precisely what would he define as 'close to impossible'?!
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Lord Ashcroft:

"my research looking at the state of this voting coalition, shows it is far from impossible for the Tories to win outright. But to do so they will need the votes of everyone who supported them last time, plus practically everyone who is even prepared to think about doing so next time."

Precisely what would he define as 'close to impossible'?!

It is this line that more or less kills his own argument :

But to do so they will need the votes of everyone who supported them last time, plus practically everyone who is even prepared to think about doing so next time."

He already said that more than a third of those that voted Tory in 2010 say they will not now, so he needs all them to return home plus anyone who is even prepared to think about it?

• Options
    corporeal said:

I want Gromit in charge.
    Gromit is Ed Balls right?

Nooooooo!!!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

chuffin' hell will you please stop changing threads at the drop of a hat.

OK _again_ FPT re. Gove and our hosts quite amusing response to him and anyway I'm off to bed but I mean really.

Gove comes across as geeky, super, absolutely non-PM material more's the pity of our telegenic times and absolutely sharp as a pin and bright as a button.

That's why he unnerves people like Mike Smithson and less smart lefters.

He is thoughtful, has the courage of his convictions and doesn't mind you knowing that he is smart in contradistinction to others who pretend they are man of the people fools and are actually bright (but of course not as bright as they like to think they are).

I haven't followed his Great War pronouncements but I think it safe to say that you will find every flavour of populist, academic, left, right, Chlesea, Moltke to Joan Littlewood interpretation of it out there. So why single anyone out for their own view and criticise it beats me.

Well done Gove as giving strength and depth to the Conservative Party.

"So why single anyone out for their own view and criticise it beats me."

Well that is exactly what Gove did. I am a huge fan of him as education secretary but his comments on WW1 and particularly on our negative views of Hague and the Generals as being the result of left wing indoctrination are just plain stupid, ill informed and wrong.

As I said yesterday one of Hague's greatest critics was Alan Clark. I cannot think of a politician or historian who could be considered further from 'left wing' than Clark and yet it was his book 'The Donkey's' which has done more than almost any other work to inform the late 20th century view of WW1 military leadership.

Gove should stick to education where he is doing an excellent job.
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited January 2014
    I hate to make Tories even more depressed but in case people have forgotten the UKIP vote share at the last two Euro elections has been around 16%. Its entirely possible that having lent their vote to them for the last 10 years over Europe that these voters in large part have now given up on the major parties domestically as well and have switched allegiance to UKIP domestically as well.

• Options
    @David_Cameron: More on my basic state pension pledge on the Andrew Marr Show on BBC1 at 9am tomorrow.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@David_Cameron: More on my basic state pension pledge on the Andrew Marr Show on BBC1 at 9am tomorrow.

There is still sixteen months to go. A bit early for Dave to get desperate.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

I buy that theory to some extent, but it can't be the entire story. They got 16% of the vote in June 2009 while polling a mere 3% or so at Westminster (to pick a random YG from late May).

EDIT: To clarify, if that multiple were repeated now they'd literally win all the votes available in 2014. Either they are going to overperform current polls in the Euros or some of the people who in May-June 2009 said they would vote UKIP in the Euros but not in a General are now willing to vote for both, at least when they answer polls now.
    There would also be some protest voting for UKIP at the Euros - particularly this time from Tories who are closer to UKIP's position on Europe than Cameron's.
  • Options
    Cabinet war as Clegg tells Gove: You're out of control... and the Education Secretary replies:

You're a liar

Nick Clegg told Michael Gove he was out of control at Whitehall function

Education Secretary's allies accused the Deputy Prime Minister of 'lying'

Follows a series of run-ins between the pair in the run-up to 2015 election

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533833/Cabinet-war-Nick-Clegg-tells-Michael-Gove-Youre-control-Education-Secretary-replies-Youre-liar.html
  • Options
    Will it be a Clegg style pledge or a Cameron style Cast Iron Guarantee? Considering the number of previous Dave pledges which haven't just been broken but erased from websites what difference does it make that he says anything on any subject?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Scott_P said:

I would love for Marr to ask Cameron how his "triple lock" is "protecting" pensioners when it resulted in lower state pensions than the method of uprating pensions that it replaced. I bet he doesnt though.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited January 2014
    Survation poll out

Lab 35 (nc)

Con 31 (+2)

UKIP 16 (-1)

LD 11 (nc)

Changes since the survation poll in October

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533869/Now-voters-turn-against-EU-record-numbers-floodgates-open-Romanian-Bulgarian-migrants.html
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

There would also be some protest voting for UKIP at the Euros - particularly this time from Tories who are closer to UKIP's position on Europe than Cameron's.
    UKIP have said they're going to try to turn the Euro elections into a referendum on EU membership. If that works, their numbers could really take off.

• Options

I hate to make Tories even more depressed but in case people have forgotten the UKIP vote share at the last two Euro elections has been around 16%. Its entirely possible that having lent their vote to them for the last 10 years over Europe that these voters in large part have now given up on the major parties domestically as well and have switched allegiance to UKIP domestically as well.

Indeed. Some voters hove done just that. I canvass regularly in an area of cosmopolitan inner London which is not good territory for UKIP but even so I occasionally come across voters who identify themselves as UKIP supporters. It is very rare to find voters identifying themselves as anything other than Tory or Labour - even Lib Dems usually say they don't know or are undecided. The fact that there are now a few definite UKIP identifiers suggests to me that the party does have a core vote - at least 10% I would say - and these voters will not return to their previous allegiance this side of the general election.
  • Options

Survation poll out

Lab 35 (-1)

Con 31 (+2)

UKIP 16 (-1)

LD 11 (nc)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533869/Now-voters-turn-against-EU-record-numbers-floodgates-open-Romanian-Bulgarian-migrants.html

I do believe Labour polled 35% in October.
  • Options
    According to Survation, Labour will win 32 per cent of votes in the Euro elections, UKIP 26, the Tories 23 and Lib Dems nine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533869/Now-voters-turn-against-EU-record-numbers-floodgates-open-Romanian-Bulgarian-migrants.html#ixzz2pTPoS8fP
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options

Survation poll out

Lab 35 (-1)

Con 31 (+2)

UKIP 16 (-1)

LD 11 (nc)

I do believe Labour polled 35% in October.
    Indeed they did, corrected my post.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Scott_P said:

I would love for Marr to ask Cameron how his "triple lock" is "protecting" pensioners when it resulted in lower state pensions than the method of uprating pensions that it replaced. I bet he doesnt though.

Or if whatever he says tomorrow has a cast iron guarantee with it.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

UKIP have said they're going to try to turn the Euro elections into a referendum on EU membership.

That's a mistake. They should have turned it into a referendum on a referendum on EU membership.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

According to Survation, Labour will win 32 per cent of votes in the Euro elections, UKIP 26, the Tories 23 and Lib Dems nine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533869/Now-voters-turn-against-EU-record-numbers-floodgates-open-Romanian-Bulgarian-migrants.html#ixzz2pTPoS8fP

Changes since the Survation Euro poll in Nov

Lab no change

Con minus 1

UKIP plus 1

LDs plus 1

Edit: IIRC not a strict comparison, as the Nov poll was weighted to a specific EP2014 turnout question
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Indeed and with the possibility increasing that the Cameron/Wharton referendum legislation is to sink without a trace in the House Of Lords (not least thanks to the ranks of the Tory 'November Criminals') and with it Tory credibility on the EU (at long last), its quite possible that UKIP vote could swell even further.
  • Options
    Opinium findings

While David Cameron's net approval rating is steady at -15%, Ed Miliband's has dropped by 5% to -27%.

Some 31% of likely voters think 2014 will be better for their family and themselves than 2013 was, while 26% say it will be worse and 40% say it will be about the same. 39% say they are generally optimistic about 2014, while 27% are generally pessimistic.

On particular issues, 69% say the cost of living will get worse in 2014, and 43% say the NHS will get worse.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/04/labour-lead-conservative-ukip-poll?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    tim was always wrong to go with the "protecting pensioners" line against the Tories. The rhetoric sunk in so well that Cameron is now able to use the fact that he screwed pensioners over as a line to get pensioners to vote for him next time!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    Just seen 'Long Walk to Freedom'. Although no masterpiece, Idris Elb gives a strong performance and it is certainly worth watching. Although sympathetic to Mandela, it is also not sycophantic, and covers both his early womanising and wife beating and Winnie's 'necklacing'
  • Options
    That survation poll also has an in/out poll, but I can't be arsed to copy and paste it, because if I do, I'll be up all night watching the cricket, and I can't go through another night like last night.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Indeed and with the possibility increasing that the Cameron/Wharton referendum legislation is to sink without a trace in the House Of Lords (not least thanks to the ranks of the Tory 'November Criminals') and with it Tory credibility on the EU (at long last), its quite possible that UKIP vote could swell even further.
    There was a suggestion that the Conservatives intended to use the Parliament Act to force the referendum bill through. If they could time that for April/May, it ought to help them.
  • Options

While David Cameron's net approval rating is steady at -15%, Ed Miliband's has dropped by 5% to -27%.

This is the point Dan Hodges makes. If 2013 was a good year for Ed, what does a bad year look like?
  • Options
    Neil said:

tim was always wrong to go with the "protecting pensioners" line against the Tories. The rhetoric sunk in so well that Cameron is now able to use the fact that he screwed pensioners over as a line to get pensioners to vote for him next time!

Whatever he says tomorrow about the pensioners will be shadowed if he says he is thinking about reducing the top rate of tax. Wonder who thought they could take on Labours campaign on the "Cost of Living Crisis" with another tax cut for millionaires? Go Lynton!
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    I saw a large UKIP banner by the roadside in north Cornwall today. Made me smile. Thousands will see it every day. It's good to bring politics to the masses.

Re Nick Robinson admitting BBC bias on immigration, I think he - and all other BBC presenters and editors - should tell us when they first realised they were censoring and misrepresenting public opinion. We need a mass nostra culpa to help start to clear the air. What about Dimbleby, Paxman, Naughtie - what have they got to say? And while we're at it, are there any other concerns they're currently keeping quiet about? Coming out after the event, when the damage is already done, doesn't make everything alright.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

This is the point Dan Hodges makes. If 2013 was a good year for Ed, what does a bad year look like?
    Dan has just been informed by a Tory insider that they are not worried about the Ashcroft poll because the Tory Party have done their own poll in the marginals showing the Tory Party is 10% ahead of Labour. He also said it was top secret and only the insider, Cameron, Osborne and Dan are allowed to see it.
  • Options

That survation poll also has an in/out poll, but I can't be arsed to copy and paste it, because if I do, I'll be up all night watching the cricket, and I can't go through another night like last night.

A new survey indicates that 50 per cent of the population would cut the UK’s ties with Brussels, with a record low 33 per cent in favour of staying in. (17% don't know).

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533869/Now-voters-turn-against-EU-record-numbers-floodgates-open-Romanian-Bulgarian-migrants.html
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,015

Survation poll out

Lab 35 (nc)

Con 31 (+2)

UKIP 16 (-1)

LD 11 (nc)

Actually it looks like there was a VI poll in November as part of the Daily Star European Parliament poll. Assuming it is Table 10 that has the "final" figures then it is something like Lab 36, Con 29, UKIP 18, LD 10. See http://survation.com/2013/12/an-updated-look-at-european-parliament-voting-intention-labour-maintain-their-polling-lead-in-2013/ and tables here http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Daily-Star-VI-Tables.pdf
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    Viewcode (previous thread) Of course it is the PM who launches a war, the Queen did not launch the Iraq War did she. Who appoints the PM? The largest party in parliament, unlike a president the PM is not directly elected by the people but by his parliamentary colleagues, once they lose that they lose their office, as Thatcher did in 1990. The appointment by the monarch is simply a constitutional formality under our unwritten constitution, if any monarch refused to appoint the leader of the election winning party as PM, that would be the end of the monarchy!
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Will it be a Clegg style pledge or a Cameron style Cast Iron Guarantee? Considering the number of previous Dave pledges which haven't just been broken but erased from websites what difference does it make that he says anything on any subject?

Please list the details of Cam's "broken pledges".

• Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

The Tories are in for a very bad result in the Euros - I expect them to achieve a poor third place with a vote share of not more than 20%. Labour and UKIP will get 25-30% each. This will be by far the worst ever result for the Tories in any national election. And with less than 12 months between the Euros and the General Election I think we can look forward to a Summer panic.

• Options
    perdix said:

"No top down reorganisations of the NHS"

I'm afraid I'm off to bed now, leaving this comment like a wuss. My apologies.
  • Options
    perdix said:

Well we could start with no top-down reorganisation of the NHS.

• Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited January 2014

Survation poll out

Lab 35 (nc)

Con 31 (+2)

UKIP 16 (-1)

LD 11 (nc)

Actually it looks like there was a VI poll in November as part of the Daily Star European Parliament poll. Assuming it is Table 10 that has the "final" figures then it is something like Lab 36, Con 29, UKIP 18, LD 10. See http://survation.com/2013/12/an-updated-look-at-european-parliament-voting-intention-labour-maintain-their-polling-lead-in-2013/ and tables here http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Daily-Star-VI-Tables.pdf
    Cracking Scottish subsection in that November poll for Scotland

Tory 29%
    Labour 22%
    S Nats 28%

Oh, and not one Welsh respondent said they would vote Lib Dem.

Before anyone says ignore subsections with very small samples....yes I know.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

The Tories are in for a very bad result in the Euros - I expect them to achieve a poor third place with a vote share of not more than 20%. Labour and UKIP will get 25-30% each. This will be by far the worst ever result for the Tories in any national election. And with less than 12 months between the Euros and the General Election I think we can look forward to a Summer panic.

What would a 'summer panic' look like? I can't see them ditching Cameron now.

• Options
    From two threads back RCS:

" I'm basing my views on those expressed by most of the UKIP supporters on this board. When another_richard talks of stopping "the 1%" from buying at Chinese wage rates, and selling at Western prices and paying Monaco tax rates, he doesn't sound very libertarian. "

A few mistakes:

1) I'm not a UKIP supporter - though I'm likely to vote for them in 2015 on the basis that they're not LibLabCon

2) I didn't say that the 1% should be stopped from buying at Chinese wage rates etc I said that UKIP should use that as a slogan to attract voters disgruntled with the present system

3) Libertarianism should be for everyone not just those with the wealth and power to manipulate the system to their advantage while the rest suffer from ever increasing regulations and restrictions
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

There was a suggestion that the Conservatives intended to use the Parliament Act to force the referendum bill through. If they could time that for April/May, it ought to help them.
    As I understand it in order to use the Parliament Act they have to reconstitute the bill from scratch as a sort of Wharton bill II. The problem with that will be that there is insufficient Parliamentary time left to be able to schedule it to force it through the Lords.

David Cameron's EU referendum bill 'unlikely' to become law

David Cameron is facing embarrassment over Europe as peers warn that his attempt to pass a referendum law faces failure

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10547669/David-Camerons-EU-referendum-bill-unlikely-to-become-law.html

In which case it will be another victory for the 'Mother Of All Bureaucracies'......
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

" I'm basing my views on those expressed by most of the UKIP supporters on this board. When another_richard talks of stopping "the 1%" from buying at Chinese wage rates, and selling at Western prices and paying Monaco tax rates, he doesn't sound very libertarian. "

A few mistakes:

1) I'm not a UKIP supporter - though I'm likely to vote for them in 2015 on the basis that they're not LibLabCon

2) I didn't say that the 1% should be stopped from buying at Chinese wage rates etc I said that UKIP should use that as a slogan to attract voters disgruntled with the present system

3) Libertarianism should be for everyone not just those with the wealth and power to manipulate the system to their advantage while the rest suffer from ever increasing regulations and restrictions

But surely libertarianism is about allowing individuals to enter into voluntary agreements with each other. The example I used, which was roughly stolen from you, was an example of something a libertarian could only support, but which you opposed. I'm sorry if I mistakenly took you for a UKIP supporter. My point is that UKIP is being pulled in two very different directions - between populism and libertarianism. When it opposes gay marriage, that seems very populist and very un-libertarian. But UKUP's roots are in libertarianism, and the question it must answer itself is: which is more important?

• Options
    Lib Dems on 8% in the Ashcroft poll.

No amount of incumbency will save Lib Dem seats if they poll 8% at the general election.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Don't be silly, the economy is booming, Dave is popular, swingback, inflation will fall as wages are rising, the FTSE will smash records, there will be the hottest summer in decades, the price of fuel will fall significantly, Gideon will give plenty away at the next budget, the 2010 switchover Lib Dems to Labour will go back, England will win the World Cup, unemployment will fall below 1.5 million, UKIP will fall to 5% in the polls, UK will win the Eurovision, the feelgood factor will wash over the nation..................and there will be polling crossover.

I bloody hope so.These polling crossover goalposts are killing my back as I have been moving them on behalf of the PB Hodges every three or four months.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

No amount of incumbency will save Lib Dem seats if they poll 8% at the general election.

Lib Dems have been "winning" plenty of constituencies at local elections while polling abysmally since 2010.
  • Options
    Neil said:

SMukesh said:

Lib Dems have been "winning" plenty of constituencies at local elections while polling abysmally since 2010.
    The swingometer gives them 23 seats which isn`t bad for 8%.Throw in 7 seats for incumbency and it`s 30 MP`s for 8% which sounds amazing when UKIP might not get a single MP for the same number of votes.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

What would a 'summer panic' look like? I can't see them ditching Cameron now.

No probably not, although I think such an outcome can't be completely ruled out. But it's more likely that individual Tory MPs would call for local pacts with UKIP - some might be panicky enough to defy the national party and agree such pacts. There would also be enormous pressure for the Tories to move further to the right and this could lead the Lib Dems to decide they can no longer stay in the coalition. Unlikely, but you could argue that it would be better electorally for the Lib Dems to go into an election on that basis than to continue to prop up a doomed Tory party until the last possible moment.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

I don't see the Lib Dems getting 9% unless their voters are more likely to turn out in an election where apathy usually reigns. The Euros really are a potential nightmare for them. An election in which they don't normally do well anyway, in which there won't be much of a strong personal vote for candidates, the lack of tactical voting and the current low morale of Lib Dem supporters could make it pretty bloody for them.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    But UKUP's roots are in libertarianism, and the question it must answer itself is: which is more important?

I think the there is a bigger question libertarians generally must answer which is "whose liberty is more important?". Many of the issues which are often cited as being libertarian actually put different groups of voters at odds with each other (just as the concepts of equality and discrimination and fairness do). As such its a bit of a red herring because in every case compromises in terms of libertarian puritanism have to made. That is unavoidable if a libertarian party has any real aspirations to become a government at any level.
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB: LAB has lead of just 4% in Survation poll for Mail on Sunday
    CON 31
    LAB 35
    LD 11
    UKIP 16
  • Options
    Assuming there's a no vote in the Scottish referendum, what will the SNP's intentions be come 2015? Their polling has remained pretty good, if they had 10 or 15 MPs who would they likely back? I'd have thought Labour, though the increasingly anti-Unionist Tories might encourage Cameron to give Salmond some goodies.

Hung parliament discussions so far have not involved much talk of what the SN will do. They could matter.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

I don't see the Lib Dems getting 9% unless their voters are more likely to turn out in an election where apathy usually reigns. The Euros really are a potential nightmare for them. An election in which they don't normally do well anyway, in which there won't be much of a strong personal vote for candidates, the lack of tactical voting and the current low morale of Lib Dem supporters could make it pretty bloody for them.
    Would give something like:-

LAB 27 (+14)
    UKIP 21 (+8)
    CON 15 (-11)
    LD 3 (-8)
    GRN 1 (-1)
    BNP 0 (-2)
    SNP 2 (-)
    PC 1 (-)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MSmithsonPB: LAB has lead of just 4% in Survation poll for Mail on Sunday
    CON 31
    LAB 35
    LD 11
    UKIP 16

*** Looks down thread ***

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    LDs might hold a seat in each of NW, SW and SE...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Article on UKIP on Drudge Report.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/01/04/britain-version-tea-party-rocks-political-system-across-pond/

UK T Party...Farage as Sarah Pailin.

Will the test be over by the time I read the rest of this thread?
  • Options
    Sunday Times interview with Farage he says

could also be tempted to stand for the House of Commons if “the right by-election” comes up later this year.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

But surely libertarianism is about allowing individuals to enter into voluntary agreements with each other. The example I used, which was roughly stolen from you, was an example of something a libertarian could only support, but which you opposed.

We're into a discussion about the interation of the philosophical and the practical.

Can we all pay Chinese wage rates (and follow Chinese regulations) or choose to pay Monaco tax rates ?

Clearly not but those who can - and the more wealth and power an individual has the greater their ability to work the system to their advantage - are inadvertedly joining in the 'oppression' of those who can't.

Of course this happens at various levels - the multinational business 'oppressing' the small national business has its equivalent in the EU worker 'oppressing' the non-EU worker.

Ultimately there are very few true libertarians. Instead people want governments off their backs but also want governments to protect their own interests. And the people with most influence with governments are the rich and powerful.
    rcs1000 said:

I'm sorry if I mistakenly took you for a UKIP supporter.

Don't worry I've been accused of being supporters of all the parties at some time or other.
    rcs1000 said:

My point is that UKIP is being pulled in two very different directions - between populism and libertarianism. When it opposes gay marriage, that seems very populist and very un-libertarian. But UKUP's roots are in libertarianism, and the question it must answer itself is: which is more important?

Personally I think UKIP is wrong to oppose gay marriage but I don't think its evershifting policies are important for its rising support.

All it should do is act as a hoover for the economically disgruntled, a group which is only going to grow.

As I said I think there are very few true libertarians and most people who want 'libertariansim' merely support fewer restrictions on themselves.

UKIP should I suggest call for less restrictions on 'us' and more restrictions on 'them'. The 'us' and 'them' being dependent upon the target audience. Though more restrictions on 'them' should be cast under the guise of 'fairness'.

Apologies for the meandering reply but its getting late and I'm too tired to think clearly.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

LDs might hold a seat in each of NW, SW and SE...

I think 9% is at the high end though. Some Westminster VIs have them down near that level. It'll be interesting to see if they beat the Greens, who should be looking at this as a real opportunity. From memory they've been around 3% in ICM monthly polls.
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited January 2014

Sunday Times interview with Farage he says

could also be tempted to stand for the House of Commons if “the right by-election” comes up later this year.

Ooohhh the tease. He has only said it to wind the Tories up.

Urgent message from Tory HQ to all their MP's "Whatever happens....don't die".
  • Options

But UKUP's roots are in libertarianism, and the question it must answer itself is: which is more important?

I think the there is a bigger question libertarians generally must answer which is "whose liberty is more important?". Many of the issues which are often cited as being libertarian actually put different groups of voters at odds with each other (just as the concepts of equality and discrimination and fairness do). As such its a bit of a red herring because in every case compromises in terms of libertarian puritanism have to made. That is unavoidable if a libertarian party has any real aspirations to become a government at any level.

Why should there be an enforced "choice"? I want very limited government under the rule of law. The primary intention is the freedom of the individual by limiting government. You seem to think that you can impose liberty with rules?

• Options
    Peter Kellner in the Sunday Times has done some yougov polling

VOTERS know what David Cameron should make his new year resolution. They want him to ban new immigrants from claiming benefits during their first two years in Britain.
  • Options
    Paywall

VOTERS could have to show their passport or driving licence to prove their identity at polling stations, under a recommendation by the government’s elections watchdog.

The Electoral Commission’s proposal follows evidence that an increasing number of people are being impersonated at polling stations and their votes being stolen. The change would lead to people who failed to produce ID — including anyone whose passport was being renewed — being denied a vote.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Article on UKIP on Drudge Report.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/01/04/britain-version-tea-party-rocks-political-system-across-pond/

UK T Party...Farage as Sarah Pailin.

Will the test be over by the time I read the rest of this thread?

All that report shows is how little the Drudge report understands British Libertarianism which is a massively different thing to the American version.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    I hate to say it, but the Ashcroft poll doesn't seem to have much that we didn't know. I've looked over all the tables and couldn't find anything amazing. There's a Tory base of 23% (voted Tory last time, still doing it), a gain of 6% who didn't vote for them last time (mostly former LibDems), and 3% who could imagine voting Tory though they currently plan not to do so. If every single one of them votes Tory, that gives them 32%. There's also 3% who voted Tory last time and now don't know or won't vote. If all of them voted Tory too, they'd be back at their 2010 level, while Labour is up 10 points.

85% of Tories and 83% of Labour voters (and 73% of UKIP, but only 69% of LibDems) are sure how they'll vote at the GE.

The churn and the level of uncertainty are both very small and basically opinion seems fairly settled - which is what the other polls have been telling us some months, and also what canvassers are finding on the ground. Perhaps we should believe them?

• Options

Paywall

VOTERS could have to show their passport or driving licence to prove their identity at polling stations, under a recommendation by the government’s elections watchdog.

What about people who dont have either?!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

Paywall

What about people who dont have either?!
    They'll have to apply for a special polling card.

Edit - Which is what they do in Norn Iron
  • Options

Paywall

The Electoral Commission’s proposal follows evidence that an increasing number of people are being impersonated at polling stations and their votes being stolen. The change would lead to people who failed to produce ID — including anyone whose passport was being renewed — being denied a vote.

Excellent. Never understood why this hasn't always been the case.

And what a damn stupid argument about "denial" if you don't have one particular thing. The list of acceptable IDs will be long and flexible enough for even local Labour party workers to find a way around.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

A few mistakes:

But surely libertarianism is about allowing individuals to enter into voluntary agreements with each other. The example I used, which was roughly stolen from you, was an example of something a libertarian could only support, but which you opposed. I'm sorry if I mistakenly took you for a UKIP supporter. My point is that UKIP is being pulled in two very different directions - between populism and libertarianism. When it opposes gay marriage, that seems very populist and very un-libertarian. But UKUP's roots are in libertarianism, and the question it must answer itself is: which is more important?

I do believe that at its heart UKIP is a Libertarian party. I do also however believe that under the current leadership they have been seduced by the mistaken idea that populism and Libertarianism are easy bedfellows - or at least can be portrayed as such. This has led to the idiotic stand against Gay marriage which is at odds with so much of the rest of the UKIP personal freedom agenda.

As I said a few months ago I am sorry to have to admit that I believe that UKIP's position on Gay marriage has boosted their appeal. I am sorry both because of what this says about the attitudes of a significant portion of the UK electorate towards Gays and also because I think it is an unsustainable position for UKIP to adopt philosophically.

This discussion has been closed.