Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The pressure mounts on Johnson ahead of Monday’s “COVID roadmap” statement – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830
    Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Ratters said:

Let's say Starmer's recovery bond is for a fixed-term of up to 5 years.

The government can already borrow for a 5-year term with an interest rate of 0.14% pa (using today's pricing) via the gilt market.

So the options are:

1) the interest rate on the recovery bond is higher, in which case the proposal is a subsidy of saving rates for the wealthy/pensioners

2) the interest rate is in line with other government financing, in which case no one will be interested, because the best 5-year fixed rate ISA on moneysavingexpert has an interest rate of over 1%, which is risk-free so long as you have £85k or less with the bank in question.

In any case, it's terrible idea.

It's mostly a non-idea. The wisdom of borrowing at at least 1% (clearly) when you can do so more cheaply otherwise isn't good.

Doddsy needs to go.
    It's two individually justifiable ideas (more government investment, and government incentives for small savers), mashed together in a manner which doesn't really make any sense.

Incentives for savers, though, is particularly silly when people are already saving of their own accord. Government paying them to do so in a government scheme is just a bung, which is of negative financial benefit to the government.

And we have individual incentives for saving/investment already, with ISAs.

Pretendynomics.

If Starmer wants to get his hands on our idle cash, then he should just say he'll tax us more. That would be honest, and probably more popular.
    I think you miss the point of this its going to end in

"We haven't raised taxes merely added mandatory 100 year bond purchases deducted from your salary"
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

Yep, the text says the Saltire and the EU flag every day except for one on the schedule, and only one day on the schedule has the Union flag.

Not petty at all.

Published in January. When they obviously had nothing better to do.

Feels like a bizarre misstep that potentially alienates some of the no supporters surely?

Either that, or the SNP tension is now so great she’s chucking any old red meat out
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Plenty of time. But he does need something of his to really catch people's attention and fix an image in peoples' minds. Goodness knows what though.
    Starmer is awful, dull and clueless, as his actions in 2019 demonstrated.
    He's also a nasty arsehole careerist.

While MPs like Luciana Berger were getting bullied out of the Labour Party he chose to serve in the Shadow Cabinet to further his own career and put forward Corbyn as PM.

Only those who refused to serve under Corbyn should have been considered as possible Labour Party leaders. A Labour led by Yvette Cooper would be a credible threat right now.
    Farage voter says that Keir Starmer is "nasty".

Do we have a category prize for this?
    I am not and never have been a Farage voter.
    Apart from voting for a party led by him.
    I voted to leave the EU, have the British contingent of the European Parliament abolished and Farage tossed out as an elected politician as a result, yes.

I'd do it again. No regrets from voting to evict Farage.
    I've never eaten chocolate but I once purchased a 99 and with great relish consumed the flake.
    What point are you trying to make?

I voted to evict Farage from the European Parliament. If he ever found his way into Westminster and I had a way to evict him from that I'd be quite tempted to take it. Wouldn't you?
    The point I'm making is that when I see a person who (i) is prepared to vote - even once - for a Farage party and yet (ii) claims to have been so mortified by the xenophobia showed by Theresa May's "Citizens of Nowhere" speech and her "Go Home" vans that they resign from the Tory Party, I smell a rat. Not accusing you of anything terrible. You're an excellent poster in many ways. But I am deeply skeptical of some of what you proclaim as your "principles". It doesn't entirely scan to me. I think you're driven mainly by EngNat.
    Well I am afraid in that case you are being blinded by your own prejudice. There are plenty of people who would vote for a Farage party as a means of getting out of the EU without being in any way xenophobic. As a result they would find May to be utterly beyond the pale.

Unless you are one of those people so bereft of intelligence that they think the only reason anyone could ever oppose the EU is because of xenophobia then there is a perfectly reasonable and logical pattern of voting there.
    I'm content in myself that it is not prejudice. Or certainly that is not what's in the box seat. My analysis is bespoke to the particular poster and is based on their considerable posting history since I've taken an interest. And I'm not levying accusations of xenophobia, I'm more detecting the positive drivers. An unusual mix of market fundamentalism and English Nationalism.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

I think there's now the distinct possibility that Sir Keir could do worse than Jezza in 2019. Will the vaccine rollout be Boris's Falkland's moment? Hitherto, many liked Boris and thought he was a bit of a lad; but now - by eradicating Covid almost single-handedly - Boris has soared to the heights of domestic mega-competent and world statesman. His base will be rock solid because he socked one to the dastardly EU, and I can't see him not picking up some extra votes along the way. Moreover, it's perfectly possibility that Sir Keir will lose much of the support Jezza drummed up amongst the idealistic youth. What to do?

Don’t know if he will do worse than Jezza in 2019 or not, but I think you’re pretty spot on with the scenario you paint
    Agree as was your comment about him, as with others, competing against someone who is better at selling ideas to the British public than him.

I yield to no one in my estimation of Boris' ability and capability to be PM (very low). But you just can't help liking him on a personal level.

I have been at charity dinners where he was due to speak and, when it was rumoured that he had entered the building, there was a tangible buzz of excitement. Even, or rather especially from the old girls in pearls.
    My brother's met him and says he has big charisma. Not a shock really when you think about it. He's won every election he's stood in, been London Mayor, Foreign Secretary, and is now PM, despite being palpably devoid of almost all the qualities needed to perform well in those jobs. So it can't be anything but charisma, can it?
    To correct one point, he has not been successful at every election he contested. He was heavily defeated at Clwyd South in 1997 - polling less than half the vote of his Labour opponent. That seat is now Tory-held - so his charisma failed to make much difference there!
This discussion has been closed.