Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

More people will die if ministers respond to populist campaigns like this – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,135
    So he's not arguing that 5.1 does not apply to the UK, albeit he hasn't said very much about it, but simply that AZ have met the BRE qualification.

And I agree. Thank god.

The EU needs to STFU now.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

This is surely the key point. Right now it looks like the EU has tried to be cute and get away with piggy-backing off of someone else's funding.
    Yes, the EU is the guy who disappears to the gents when it's time for his round.
    And then demands you buy him a super expensive drink the next round....while also eying up your drink.
    And from my experience of a nameless individual - asks for crisps or peanuts too
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,541
    This is very good news for the one shot, easy to distribute vaccine.

(And, of course, there's no reason why later booster shots with the same vaccine, or other vaccines can't be done.)

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1355152773898240002
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Much better numbers today 400k daily should keep us on track to hit targets I'd think?
    One of my favourite views on Kate Bingham came from Labour Bristol Northwest MP Darren Jones.If only he was in charge of our vaccine scheme...

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1326134998324432896
  • Options
    The R rate - the average number of people each person with Covid-19 goes on to infect - for the UK is now estimated to be between 0.7 and 1.1.

Last week the figure was 0.8-1.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Its almost, almost as if he's just shameless.
  • Options
    Brazil's health ministry says officials have been deployed to an isolated region in the north of the country to investigate reports that nine indigenous children died with Covid-19 symptoms this month.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    As a final thought on this for the day - we all thought the EU were the 'smart ones in the room' - how many pieces have I read about the brilliance of the COmmission civil servants and lawyers - the Ratnerising is quite specatacular and will have long term consequences I am sure.

One thing that seems clear is that the Commission seemed to think vaccine production was like turning out a simple metal widget that just requires a bit of stamping out. Whoever thought it was a good idea to outsource these negotiations to people with no experience of complex pharmaceuticals contracts should face the wrath of the voters - as that isn't possible I will think very carefully about supporting Mette F next time round
  • Options
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

This is surely the key point. Right now it looks like the EU has tried to be cute and get away with piggy-backing off of someone else's funding.
    Yes, the EU is the guy who disappears to the gents when it's time for his round.
    And then demands you buy him a super expensive drink the next round....while also eying up your drink.
    And from my experience of a nameless individual - asks for crisps or peanuts too
    And not the cheap ones...they want the fancy pants crisps.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,115
    Brom said:

Much better numbers today 400k daily should keep us on track to hit targets I'd think?
    One of my favourite views on Kate Bingham came from Labour Bristol Northwest MP Darren Jones.If only he was in charge of our vaccine scheme...

Misuse of public funds? lol
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

All this talk of pubs is making me want to go to the pub. :'(:'(

Sorry to have brought it up!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,245
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Today is the day when a lot of journalists and others who have never drafted, interpreted or litigated a commercial contract in their lives and have no understanding of EU law or contract law suddenly claim to be experts and write the most immense twaddle about the AZ contract.

I had some drafting I was part of a team on which was litigated. Our interpretation was upheld.

By the House of Lords.

The party trying to wriggle of a £250 million hook?

Enron.

*buffs nails*
    What's your take on this, such that you've read it?
    EU = Enron.... 🤣
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,611
    edited January 2021
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, maybe I'm being an idiot and someone can correct me but if the UK is only deemed part of the EU in section 5.4 it removes any ambiguity for all the other sections as the UK is definitely not included for 5.1 or anywhere else.

I expected the EU to fight this based on the ambiguity of whether the UK counted as being in the EU or not during the transition period but that's surely not possible now.
    Yes, it's completely unambiguous. Spectacularly bad drafting, but not ambiguous drafting. I'm sure they didn't mean to exclude the UK manufacturing facility from 5.1, but that's what they've done. In fact, AZ would have been in breach of the contract if they'd been trying to manufacture the Initial Doses in the UK rather than in the EU.
    Yes, actually that's a good point. If the UK is considered an acceptable manufacturing site for the purposes of 5.4 but isn't listed in 5.1 then what mechanism exists for the EU to ask for supplies to be redirected?

This does seem somewhat of an own goal, but I don't speak legalese so maybe my reading is wrong.
    5.1 seems to completely absolve AZN of any responsibility to manufacture the doses outside of the EU, regardless of what 5.4 says.
    No, as there is a plausible ambiguity within 5.1, too.
    AZN is to use its BRE to manufacture within the EU, and to use its BRE to deliver the (redacted) number of doses.
    If the second part of the obligation meant to deliver only those doses manufactured within the EU, there wouldn't be a need for clause 5.4.
    Yes there would because 5.4 is not about obligation. It is about where the EU will accept vaccine production without further checks/permission. It does not give the EU rights to production from the UK, only says that if AZN chooses to supply from the UK that is acceptable for the EU.

Hence the reason explicitly states it applies only to 5.4.
    It is also about obligation:
    ...If AstraZeneca is unable to deliver on its intention to manufacture the Initial Europe Doses and/or Optional Doses under this Agreement in the EU, the Commission or the Participating Member States may present to AstraZeneca, CMOs within the EU capable of manufacturing the Vaccine Doses, and AstraZeneca shall use its Best Reasonable Efforts to contract with such proposed CMOs to increase the available manufacturing capacity within the EU. ...
    "Within the EU" and section 5.4 clearly defined that EU doesn't include UK within that definition outside of section 5.4.

This really seems like a really big own goal by the EU, they're becoming the "who the fuck what's to deal with this shit" type of client.
    To me it looks a bit sloppy, maybe, but nevertheless it's not fatally confusing. The UK is indeed only included in 5.4. But 5.1 says purely that AZ "must use best efforts to fill the initial doses from EU sites". That to me is not the same as saying they must use only EU sites. It's saying if they can fill the order from EU sites, they should. But if they can't, they can use UK sites too, which 5.4 allows. And this happened. AZ under 5.5. informed the EC that the initial doses would be made at sites including the UK.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited January 2021
    RobD said:
    Ah, Jolyon. It's the kind of thing Prince Charles might say when in a state of physical excitement: 'I say, Camilla, come hither - I've got a bit of a jolly-on...'
  • Options

Off-topic but why the fuck did the UK negotiating team insist on 3rd country status without at least considering the products where we would want a variance agreement?

"“You’re going to need export certificates for tinned rice pudding,” said FDF CEO Ian Wright. “When that comes it will be a showstopper for many businesses.”"

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/brexit/hundreds-more-food-products-may-require-export-health-certificates-from-april/652628.article?utm_source=Daily News (The Grocer)&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-01-29&c=

EDIT - as so many of us have found out after the event, the government's guidance doesn't mention any of this. Its as if they were clueless about what their deal meant in practice.

"Little Moons is a London-based mochi producer benefiting from the current exemptions. Co-founder Howard Wong said he had monitored the UK government’s ‘Brexit transition’ help page but that it contained no information about the upcoming change. It was, rather, his German distributor who told him of the issue. “It would never have been on our radar from just looking at the UK government guidance,” he said."

I suspect there are a lot of people across Europe from Donegal to the Don River who are wishing they could get rid of all their politicians. Doesn't any country have a decent set?
  • Options
    Brom said:

I think we'd miss the target by one day, if you apply the last seven day average going forward.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,145
    RobD said:
    But she is a cousin by marriage to Boris Johnson’s sister. It must be corruption !
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, maybe I'm being an idiot and someone can correct me but if the UK is only deemed part of the EU in section 5.4 it removes any ambiguity for all the other sections as the UK is definitely not included for 5.1 or anywhere else.

I expected the EU to fight this based on the ambiguity of whether the UK counted as being in the EU or not during the transition period but that's surely not possible now.
    Yes, it's completely unambiguous. Spectacularly bad drafting, but not ambiguous drafting. I'm sure they didn't mean to exclude the UK manufacturing facility from 5.1, but that's what they've done. In fact, AZ would have been in breach of the contract if they'd been trying to manufacture the Initial Doses in the UK rather than in the EU.
    Yes, actually that's a good point. If the UK is considered an acceptable manufacturing site for the purposes of 5.4 but isn't listed in 5.1 then what mechanism exists for the EU to ask for supplies to be redirected?

This does seem somewhat of an own goal, but I don't speak legalese so maybe my reading is wrong.
    5.1 seems to completely absolve AZN of any responsibility to manufacture the doses outside of the EU, regardless of what 5.4 says.
    AZN is to use its BRE to manufacture within the EU, and to use its BRE to deliver the (redacted) number of doses.
    If the second part of the obligation meant to deliver only those doses manufactured within the EU, there wouldn't be a need for clause 5.4.
    Yes there would because 5.4 is not about obligation. It is about where the EU will accept vaccine production without further checks/permission. It does not give the EU rights to production from the UK, only says that if AZN chooses to supply from the UK that is acceptable for the EU.

...If AstraZeneca is unable to deliver on its intention to manufacture the Initial Europe Doses and/or Optional Doses under this Agreement in the EU, the Commission or the Participating Member States may present to AstraZeneca, CMOs within the EU capable of manufacturing the Vaccine Doses, and AstraZeneca shall use its Best Reasonable Efforts to contract with such proposed CMOs to increase the available manufacturing capacity within the EU. ...
    "Within the EU" and section 5.4 clearly defined that EU doesn't include UK within that definition outside of section 5.4.

This really seems like a really big own goal by the EU, they're becoming the "who the fuck what's to deal with this shit" type of client.
    To me it looks a bit sloppy, maybe, but nevertheless it's not fatally confusing.
    The UK is indeed only included in 5.4. But 5.1 says purely that AZ "must use best efforts to fill the initial dose from EU sites".
    That to me is not the same as saying they must use only EU sites. It's saying if they can fill the order from EU sites, they should.
    But if they can't they can use UK sites too, which 5.4 allows. And this happened. AZ under 5.5. informed the EC that the initial doses would be made at sites including the UK.
    It is also consistent with them making no effort whatsoever at filling initial doses from non-EU sites.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,775
    edited January 2021

twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1355157201543966720?s=20
    twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1355157388756717570?s=20

Perfect timing for all the youngsters. I'll have a Big Mac and a jab please from the drive-thru.
  • Options
    I think what's good about this one is that for H2 delivery it may already have been updated for mutations and we'll have a single dose jab effective against mutations ready for the winter.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,356

Better day today ENGLAND ONLY: 344,464 jabs total (up 36% vs yesterday, but down 15,443 vs week ago), 343,193 first, 1,271 second.

Hopefully should be nearly 400k then for the UK as a whole.
    Probably a shade below the required rate but I need to do the maths.

A notably poor midweek this week has certainly hurt us.

But, it's recoverable.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

"AstraZeneca has also explicitly assured us in this contract that no other obligations would prevent the contract from being fulfilled" according to VDL.

Did she seriously believe that the much later EU contract automatically superseded every other agreement that AZ had made because, well, EU?

That isn't necessarily the implication.
    I suppose that if Sean is right and the deal was signed with AZN Sweden then they would be telling he truth since the UK deal was with AZN UK. Separate companies.
  • Options

Better day today ENGLAND ONLY: 344,464 jabs total (up 36% vs yesterday, but down 15,443 vs week ago), 343,193 first, 1,271 second.

But, it's recoverable.
    Expected because of supply issues. Hopefully next week is better.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,665
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Today is the day when a lot of journalists and others who have never drafted, interpreted or litigated a commercial contract in their lives and have no understanding of EU law or contract law suddenly claim to be experts and write the most immense twaddle about the AZ contract.

Welcome back. Hope everyone is better...

How much do we have to pay you for an opinion on this one?
    Squillions. 🤑
    I think someone here has some Dogecoins they could offer...
    When I first heard (well, read) of Dogecoin, I wondered whether it was supposed to be pronounced "dodgy-coin" in a self-aware play on the instability of crypto-currency values. I was a bit disappointed to find it was "doggy-coin" with a cute dog as an emblem. :disappointed:
  • Options

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

And then demands you buy him a super expensive drink the next round....while also eying up your drink, and then when you say if you wanted this drink you should have bought it, and they say you are starting a war.
    I suspect this culminates with one bloke accusing the other of "looking at my pint the wrong way".
  • Options

But, it's recoverable.
    Unsurprisingly we're being hit by supply issues because of the Pfizer upgrades and a slower than expected ramp up to 2.5m doses per week at the two AZ sites.

Hopefully by April we will be swimming in vaccines with Moderna and Novavax expected for volume delivery around that time.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Nigelb said:

(And, of course, there's no reason why later booster shots with the same vaccine, or other vaccines can't be done.)

Does she have to refer to the parts of the trial as "arms"? It's very confusing.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,135
    HYUFD said:
    Only 78% of Conservatives? Weird poll.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,611
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

To me it looks a bit sloppy, maybe, but nevertheless it's not fatally confusing.
    The UK is indeed only included in 5.4. But 5.1 says purely that AZ "must use best efforts to fill the initial dose from EU sites".
    That to me is not the same as saying they must use only EU sites. It's saying if they can fill the order from EU sites, they should.
    But if they can't they can use UK sites too, which 5.4 allows. And this happened. AZ under 5.5. informed the EC that the initial doses would be made at sites including the UK.
    It is also consistent with them making no effort whatsoever at filling initial doses from non-EU sites.
    Sorry, don't follow. What is consistent with that?
  • Options
    edited January 2021

But, it's recoverable.
    I have said from the start that I thought they would just miss their target, that end of Feb was more likely, as it didn't seem like they factored in any potential further delays.

End of Feb would still be a fantastic effort and what we do know is if the supply is there, the capacity has been smoothly expanded such they can do many 100ks a day.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,592
    "Robinhood to restore GameStop trading as it wins $1bn backing
    The app helping to fuel share-buying frenzy is to resume ‘limited buys’ after investor cash injection"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/29/robinhood-to-restore-gamestop-trading-as-it-wins-1bn-backing
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,133

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

And then demands you buy him a super expensive drink the next round....while also eying up your drink, and then when you say if you wanted this drink you should have bought it, and they say you are starting a war.
    I suspect this culminates with one bloke accusing the other of "looking at my pint the wrong way".
    Are we getting into Pint Nationalism now?
  • Options

RobD said:
    Ah, Jolyon. It's the kind of thing Prince Charles might say when in a state of physical excitement: 'I say, Camilla, come hither - I've got a bit of a jolly-on...'
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

Images in mind I can't unsee
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sorry, don't follow. What is consistent with that?
    It isn't explicit about AZN making any effort whatsoever manufacturing in non-EU countries.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Does allocation to those groups not depend on questions that would correlate with the asked question?

It's a bit like producing a chart of favourable feeling towards the EU (prior to vaccine wars) split by referendum vote.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Does anyone think that going for "the second half of the year" for J&J/Novovax is an unambitious target?

I mean, JFGID. Once the MHRA approve this stuff, move heaven and earth to get it made PDQ. Try to get vaccines in every UK adult arm by May.

Let's host Euro 2021 and enjoy the summer.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Welcome back. Hope everyone is better...

How much do we have to pay you for an opinion on this one?
    Squillions. 🤑
    I think someone here has some Dogecoins they could offer...
    When I first heard (well, read) of Dogecoin, I wondered whether it was supposed to be pronounced "dodgy-coin" in a self-aware play on the instability of crypto-currency values. I was a bit disappointed to find it was "doggy-coin" with a cute dog as an emblem. :disappointed:
    You're doing better than me - I thought it was cooked up by someone obsessed with rich Italian city-states!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Slow at the start, but with growing confidence at the end.
  • Options

Brom said:

I think we'd miss the target by one day, if you apply the last seven day average going forward.

We'll probably have the target met, but the 2-day lag will allow the press to announce it is a fiasco on 14th February....
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:
    That dataset is in severe need of normalisation by country, to adjust for the fact that certain countries seem much more "respectful" in general than others.

Also, the question is poorly worded - "unhappiness" could include fears over salary prospects, for example. And I assume the apparent Mexican dislike of police officers is actually a fear of them getting killed on the job?
  • Options
    Boris on vaccines

https://youtu.be/jhxilSeFqMI
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,987
    edited January 2021
    https://twitter.com/LawDavF/status/1354899808255954945?s=20
    https://twitter.com/LawDavF/status/1354899961834565639?s=20

And the UK Government's reaction to being told they would get 4 million instead of 30 million?

A UK government spokeswoman said that work was being done at “a pace and scale never (seen) before to ensure the public are able to access a safe and effective vaccine as soon as possible”.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Does anyone think that going for "the second half of the year" for J&J/Novovax is an unambitious target?

I mean, JFGID. Once the MHRA approve this stuff, move heaven and earth to get it made PDQ. Try to get vaccines in every UK adult arm by May.

We've seen how hard it was for AZN to scale up production, so I don't think it's just a case of pressing a button - or even throwing wads of cash at the problem.
  • Options

The R rate - the average number of people each person with Covid-19 goes on to infect - for the UK is now estimated to be between 0.7 and 1.1.

They've done this before, so that you can argue things are either better or things are worse from the same data.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Kate Bingham updated the Novavax schedule publicly today, she said that manufacturing has already commenced and they are scaling up the process. The CEO of Novavax yesterday said volume deliveries to the UK would commence in April. Hopefully the ramp up is fast but I think the delivery schedules have been pessimistic because the government doesn't want to overpromise and get everyone ready for an April/May jab and then a manufacturing issue means we don't get it until June/July.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    HYUFD said:
    'Respect' and the question asked are quite different - question: would you be happy if your child was...

You could have a lot of respect for a profession, but not want your child to do it (due to risks, low pay etc). I've got plenty of respect for receptionists, but it wouldn't be a high choice for my children, mainly because I think they'd be more fulfilled doing some of the other options (if my child had a passion for reception work, I'd back them, of course).

Ah, @Endillion ahead of me...
    (I did also consider the Mexico cop example)
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,313
    About that redaction:

https://twitter.com/PoliticalDec/status/1355150957668147200

Automatically making your PDF bookmarks by using the paragraph text turns out to be a poor idea...
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,313
    870 million euros is the contract value.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Robinhood to restore GameStop trading as it wins $1bn backing
    The app helping to fuel share-buying frenzy is to resume ‘limited buys’ after investor cash injection"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/29/robinhood-to-restore-gamestop-trading-as-it-wins-1bn-backing

I don't think people realised that the trading suspension was just because they were running out of financial cover.
    https://twitter.com/KralcTrebor/status/1354952686165225478
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,251

Boris on vaccines

ttps://youtu.be/jhxilSeFqMI

He was a great character to have as Mayor of London during the Olympics.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,280
    carnforth said:

About that redaction:

Automatically making your PDF bookmarks by using the paragraph text turns out to be a poor idea...

:lol:
  • Options
    carnforth said:

About that redaction:

Paging @Sandpit
  • Options

https://twitter.com/LawDavF/status/1354899808255954945?s=20
    https://twitter.com/LawDavF/status/1354899961834565639?s=20

And the UK Government's reaction to being told they would get 4 million instead of 30 million?

A UK government spokeswoman said that work was being done at “a pace and scale never (seen) before to ensure the public are able to access a safe and effective vaccine as soon as possible”.

This puts the lie to the claim made earlier that the UK government would have acted in the same way as the EU. We were in the same situation and we didn't go off the deep end. Strange to think of Johnson as being the adult in the room for once (along of course with politicians from Canada, Australia and many other countries who have been grown up enough to realise this is just the way things go).
  • Options
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,749
    Nick Timothy:

"Imagine being AstraZeneca. Heroically you develop a vaccine. You’ll sell it to poorer states at cost price. You’re Anglo-Swedish. Your CEO is French. And the EU rubbishes your product and then, before even approving it, demands you betray your other customers."
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

They've done this before, so that you can argue things are either better or things are worse from the same data.
    Pretty disappointing.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

About that redaction:

LOL!! What a bunch of amateurs.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

But, it's recoverable.
    Unsurprisingly we're being hit by supply issues because of the Pfizer upgrades and a slower than expected ramp up to 2.5m doses per week at the two AZ sites.

Hopefully by April we will be swimming in vaccines with Moderna and Novavax expected for volume delivery around that time.
    I really think we can be looking towards beer garden opening at Easter, probably table service only.

Then back to complete unrestricted hospitality opening by the late May bank holiday at the very latest for those vaccinated and those in low-risk age groups.

The vaccine news is good, in fact it's very good indeed.

We also should be hosting Euro 2021 with full crowds, attendance restricted to children and those who have had at least one jab.

What better way to celebrate NHS workers?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

But, it's recoverable.

I really think we can be looking towards beer garden opening at Easter, probably table service only.

Then back to complete unrestricted hospitality opening by the late May bank holiday at the very latest for those vaccinated and those in low-risk age groups.

We also should be hosting Euro 2021 with full crowds, attendance restricted to children and those who have had at least one jab.

The NFL have given tickets to the Super Bowl to vaccinated health care workers. I think its a brilliant move.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Only 78% of Conservatives? Weird poll.
    Considering its as many as 22% of Progressive Activists, that balances out rather neatly.
  • Options
    In their bluster to prove AZN wrong they've published a fully un-redacted contract, probably without consent of AZN.
  • Options

Pretty disappointing.
    Yes. Or pretty exciting. Take your pick....
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Selebian said:

HYUFD said:
    Does allocation to those groups not depend on questions that would correlate with the asked question?

It's a bit like producing a chart of favourable feeling towards the EU (prior to vaccine wars) split by referendum vote.
    Indeed. Goodwin is a laughing stock.

He has spent the last four years stoking culture wars and licking the backside of his beloved Trump and he just can't let it go.

He's pathetic – yesterday's man.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

MaxPB said:

But, it's recoverable.

Tbh, with Novavax and Moderna both expected in April I wouldn't be surprised if the government removes the 12 week policy at that point, there wouldn't be any need for it especially for younger cohorts who they will want to ensure don't forget to go for the second jab because "everything's back to normal now anyway".

It means we could be out of this shit by May/June with everyone having had both doses by then, Novavax is 4 weeks from beginning to immunity and Moderna is 6 weeks from first jab to full immunity.
  • Options
    RobD said:

In their bluster to prove AZN wrong they've published a fully un-redacted contract, probably without consent of AZN.

I am sure it won't go unnoticed by the very expensive lawyers AZN have on retainer.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Pretty disappointing.
    Yes. Or pretty exciting. Take your pick....
    When the numbers are like this its tempting to think there's politics in them.

• Options

Reading this BBC item https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55857650 I got a sudden and strong feeling that Kwarteng might be the next PM.

Another Old Etonian? He is operating under the huge handicap of having gone to Cambridge however.
  • Options

But, it's recoverable.
    I have said from the start that I thought they would just miss their target, that end of Feb was more likely, as it didn't seem like they factored in any potential further delays.

End of Feb would still be a fantastic effort and what we do know is if the supply is there, the capacity has been smoothly expanded such they can do many 100ks a day.
    Completely disagree. No wiggling.

The Valentine's Day target is the right target and can and should be met.

Let's do it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

carnforth said:

About that redaction:

Paging @Sandpit
    Well done!

My reader showed the redacted versions on the previews, might be a really old Acrobat reader required to fudge it.

Always the first thought on seeing a redacted document though, it’s amazing how many people mess it up. Ditto with documents tracking changes, where they forget to switch it off before sending, and inadvertently leave up the document history.
  • Options

But, it's recoverable.

Completely disagree. No wiggling.

The Valentine's Day target is the right target and can and should be met.

Let's do it.
    I think they'll only miss it on a technicality, that take-up won't be 100% in the vulnerable groups.
  • Options

carnforth said:

About that redaction:

Confirmation then that the per unit price AZ is supplying these at is ~3€.

Peanuts.

UK right to effectively offer more to get more.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

But, it's recoverable.

Tbh, with Novavax and Moderna both expected in April I wouldn't be surprised if the government removes the 12 week policy at that point, there wouldn't be any need for it especially for younger cohorts who they will want to ensure don't forget to go for the second jab because "everything's back to normal now anyway".

It means we could be out of this shit by May/June with everyone having had both doses by then, Novavax is 4 weeks from beginning to immunity and Moderna is 6 weeks from first jab to full immunity.
    Indeed. I think there's a fair to middling chance that the healthy under 50s (no UHC) will be a one-jab cohort.

As you say, the realities of human behaviour means many youngsters simply won't show for Jab 2 anyway.
  • Options

RobD said:

I am sure it won't go unnoticed by the very expensive lawyers AZN have on retainer.
    What was the phrase, never interfere with your enemy when he is making a mistake?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I spoke too soon about the French keeping quiet...

The contract between the European Commission and AstraZeneca shows the company made a clear commitment to deliver a certain number of doses, says French MEP and medical doctor Veronique Trillet-Lenoir.

She tells BBC Radio 4's World at One: "We are very concerned by the fact that AstraZeneca could not follow its commitments."

While she hasn't seen the figures because they were blocked out in the copy shown to MEPs, she says there was a specific number of doses promised.

Trillet-Lenoir, a member of French President Emmanuel Macron's En Marche party, says the company has to use its "best efforts" to meet its commitments, which means using factories in the EU and elsewhere, such as the UK.

"The firm has taken engagements with the European Commission, with the UK, and should do what it promised to do," she says, adding that if it cannot meet its obligations it should use contract manufacturing companies, as Pfizer has done with Sanofi.

Asked who the French public blame for the delay, she says: “People in France like to blame the government; in the present time they should really blame the firm."

----

Not sure why being a medical doctor is relevant to an argument over contract law.
  • Options
    Does this basically come down to the fact that the EU believes it is actually "reasonable" to steal UK vaccines?
  • Options

I spoke too soon about the French keeping quiet...

The contract between the European Commission and AstraZeneca shows the company made a clear commitment to deliver a certain number of doses, says French MEP and medical doctor Veronique Trillet-Lenoir.

She tells BBC Radio 4's World at One: "We are very concerned by the fact that AstraZeneca could not follow its commitments."

While she hasn't seen the figures because they were blocked out in the copy shown to MEPs, she says there was a specific number of doses promised.

Trillet-Lenoir, a member of French President Emmanuel Macron's En Marche party, says the company has to use its "best efforts" to meet its commitments, which means using factories in the EU and elsewhere, such as the UK.

"The firm has taken engagements with the European Commission, with the UK, and should do what it promised to do," she says, adding that if it cannot meet its obligations it should use contract manufacturing companies, as Pfizer has done with Sanofi.

Asked who the French public blame for the delay, she says: “People in France like to blame the government; in the present time they should really blame the firm."

----

Not sure why a medical doctor is relevant to an argument over contract law.

Any comment from them on the failure of AZN to meet the UK's order on time?
  • Options

Does this basically come down to the fact that the EU believes it is actually "reasonable" to steal UK vaccines?

Solidarity innit
  • Options

MaxPB said:

But, it's recoverable.

The NFL have given tickets to the Super Bowl to vaccinated health care workers. I think its a brilliant move.

Great, great thinking.

I hadn't seen that.

Excellent stuff.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

But, it's recoverable.

Yep, this summer stands a good chance of being like Christmas and New Year were in Australia. One big long party, with the only caveat being that everyone holidays at home this year, no-one leaves the country unless they like hotel quarantine.
  • Options

carnforth said:

About that redaction:

The repeated breach of confidentiality demonstrates how just much they respect contract terms.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

But, it's recoverable.

Indeed. I think there's a fair to middling chance that the healthy under 50s (no UHC) will be a one-jab cohort.

As you say, the realities of human behaviour means many youngsters simply won't show for Jab 2 anyway.
    I think we should avoid that becuase there's compelling evidence that two jabs protects people from even catching it in the first place which further reduces the chance of serious mutations. People should definitely be encouraged and badgered into doing both of their doses on time, I'd make it part of getting the vaccine passport in September/October so we are in a place where there's no chance of having to lockdown over Xmas.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

MaxPB said:

But, it's recoverable.

Great, great thinking.

I hadn't seen that.

Excellent stuff.
    Third of the total attendance apparently,

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-to-give-7-500-vaccinated-health-care-workers-free-tickets-to-super-bowl-lv
  • Options

Yup, that confidence interval is so wide as to be almost useless.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,987
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

About that redaction:

Paging @Sandpit
    Well done!

My reader showed the redacted versions on the previews, might be a really old Acrobat reader required to fudge it.

Always the first thought on seeing a redacted document though, it’s amazing how many people mess it up. Ditto with documents tracking changes, where they forget to switch it off before sending, and inadvertently leave up the document history.
    I got an early download - how do I view the non-redacted text (Mac)?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

But, it's recoverable.

They get their vaccine passport on the second jab, that’s incentive to turn up.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

About that redaction:

Paging @Sandpit
    Well done!

I got an early download - how do I view the non-redacted text (Mac)?
    I have acrobat reader DC and it shows up in the bookmark view, view> show/hide> navigation pane
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

About that redaction:

The repeated breach of confidentiality demonstrates how just much they respect contract terms.
    As I said earlier, they've become the "who the fuck wants to deal with this shit" client. We've all experienced it and eventually you stop dealing with them.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,592
    edited January 2021
    HYUFD said:
    Can't help noticing that the police in Britain aren't as popular as they used to be. The police in Germany and the United States are more popular for example.
This discussion has been closed.