Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sturgeon’s planned “go it alone” IndyRef2 poses problems for the bookies as well as Boris – politica

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited January 2021 in General
imageSturgeon’s planned “go it alone” IndyRef2 poses problems for the bookies as well as Boris – politicalbetting.com

Sturgeon’s statement yesterday that she intends to hold what she describes as a “legal referendum” on independence from the UK if she wins the Scottish elections scheduled for May certainly puts her on a collision course with Boris who opposes opposes another secession vote.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,434
    Nicola marching her troops up to the top of the hill....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Nicola marching her troops up to the top of the hill....

....to give her covering fire from Salmond's troops.

• Options
    Nicola would be most unwise to hold an unauthorised referendum. Shades of Catalonia!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

EU mafia trying their "give us the vaccine - or the puppy gets it" routine I see.

A German MEP made a comment.

Let's not blow this out of proportion.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

EU mafia trying their "give us the vaccine - or the puppy gets it" routine I see.

Our current Home Secretary wanted to starve the Irish to get a good Brexit deal.

Politicians are twats when trying to boost their popularity. WHO KNEW?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,382
    edited January 2021
    A bloody mess, if we have a Unionist boycott then I think it will play havoc with the secondary markets like turnout and share of the votes.

Yes to win 90% of the vote on a 35% turnout would be my guess.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    rcs1000 said:

Haven't wars started over less? ;)
  • Options

Nicola would be most unwise to hold an unauthorised referendum. Shades of Catalonia!

The UK is not a Franco dictatorship.

The EU didn't authorise the UK's 2016 referendum did it? And if the Scottish Parliament does have the authority to hold a 2016-style advisory referendum then the Scottish Parliament has no need to request authorisation either - and winning a referendum, even an advisory one, would set the stage for everything that follows. Just as the UK's did in 2016.

It is debatable as to whether Holyrood does have the power. I expect it to be taken to the Supreme Court to decide - if they decide it does (since its advisory) then its legally authorised per Betfair terms surely?
  • Options
    Britain manages 220,000 coronavirus vaccines in Sunday slowdown with fewer than half as many as record-breaking Saturday as NHS misses internal target of reaching all care home residents by January 24

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9184795/Britain-manages-220-000-coronavirus-vaccines-Sunday-slowdown-early-figures-show.html

ITS A DISASTTTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yeah, but he's a doctor and everything.

I fear for our manufacturing base on Alderaan.....
  • Options

Britain manages 220,000 coronavirus vaccines in Sunday slowdown with fewer than half as many as record-breaking Saturday as NHS misses internal target of reaching all care home residents by January 24

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9184795/Britain-manages-220-000-coronavirus-vaccines-Sunday-slowdown-early-figures-show.html

They really are hopeless, aren't they? This pandemic has been a total eyeopener in that respect.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Our current Home Secretary wanted to starve the Irish to get a good Brexit deal.
    Mind you, given how bad the deal we got was, maybe she had a point?
  • Options

A blood mess, if we have a Unionist boycott then I think it will play havoc with the secondary markets like turnout and share of the votes.

At which Boris and the Unionists point and laugh.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,618
    What do you expect if you're trying to pinch our vaccine:

https://twitter.com/nickgutteridge/status/1353730587350212608?s=20
  • Options

A blood mess, if we have a Unionist boycott then I think it will play havoc with the secondary markets like turnout and share of the votes.

A Unionist boycott would be the SNP's biggest nightmare as they would lose credibility in Scotland as well as enabling Westminster to reject the referendum. Nicola is certainly playing for high stakes here. Not something to do again and again!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,382
    edited January 2021

Indeed, I'm waiting for when low vaccine numbers and murder Tuesday coincide.

The Mail will run out of tissues.
  • Options

If you don't vote, you don't get a say. That's normal politics.

A win is a win is a win.
  • Options

What do you expect if you're trying to pinch our vaccine:

https://twitter.com/nickgutteridge/status/1353730587350212608?s=20

Boo hoo. Either they are a country, in which case they get full accreditation, and the possibility to give their credentials to HM, or they are an international organization.
  • Options

A win is a win is a win.
    Not on something with such an utterly dismal turnout.
  • Options

Yes to win 90% of the vote on 35% turnout would be my guess.

Yeah, sounds plausible, although I suspect turnout would be lower.

The last thing the SNP want is for the election to be about education etc. hence ramping up Indy. Placates the hard-core (and there is definitely a party management issue in play) and distracts from what appears to be a less than impressive performance on the vaccination roll-out. Also they may be slightly (very slightly) concerned about SLAB coming back to life under Sarwar. Making everything about Indy is the best way of stifling a Labour revival.
  • Options

Weren't we supposed to be the ones going begging to them for vital supplies by now?
    The "punishment beating" strategy? That one?

It must REALLY be pissing off the EU that those pesky Brits are jabbing and saving their Brexit-votig oldies, whilst true-blooded EU veterans are dying from the virus....they didn't order.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Mind you, given how bad the deal we got was, maybe she had a point?
    Then again just think how bad the deal could have been if we didn't hold all the cards.
  • Options
    Four people charged with criminal damage over the toppling of the statue of the slave trader Edward Colston in Bristol have opted to be tried before a judge and jury.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jan/25/four-charged-colston-statue-damage-bristol-tried-crown-court
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,884
    On topic to post this one then:

Salmond or Sturgeon: Which One Is Lying?

https://order-order.com/2021/01/25/salmond-or-sturgeon-which-one-is-lying/

(Gets in haggis flavoured popcorn, especially for Burns’ Night!)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

rcs1000 said:

Yeah, but he's a doctor and everything.

I fear for our manufacturing base on Alderaan.....
    Come on @MarqueeMark, let's celebrate that we're doing well, and stop obsessing about the EU. Don't turn into a boring mirror image of @Scott_xP
  • Options
    RobD said:

A win is a win is a win.
    Not really. A 90% win on a 35% turnout is the same number of Yes voters as if Yes won 52% on a 60.5% turnout.

Playing with fire there to hand a victory to your opponents.
  • Options

The UK is not a Franco dictatorship.

The EU didn't authorise the UK's 2016 referendum did it? And if the Scottish Parliament does have the authority to hold a 2016-style advisory referendum then the Scottish Parliament has no need to request authorisation either - and winning a referendum, even an advisory one, would set the stage for everything that follows. Just as the UK's did in 2016.

It is debatable as to whether Holyrood does have the power. I expect it to be taken to the Supreme Court to decide - if they decide it does (since its advisory) then its legally authorised per Betfair terms surely?
    Indeed the UK is not a Franco dictatorship, but nor was Spain / Catalonia when Catalonia tried an unauthorised referendum on secession in 2017.
  • Options
    The Vicar of Bath explores the timing challenges Sturgeon faces to deliver the originally promised "later this year":

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-rock-in-the-hard-place/
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Are the options mutually exclusive?
  • Options

Yes to win 90% of the vote on 35% turnout would be my guess.

Yeah, sounds plausible, although I suspect turnout would be lower.

The last thing the SNP want is for the election to be about education etc. hence ramping up Indy. Placates the hard-core (and there is definitely a party management issue in play) and distracts from what appears to be a less than impressive performance on the vaccination roll-out. Also they may be slightly (very slightly) concerned about SLAB coming back to life under Sarwar. Making everything about Indy is the best way of stifling a Labour revival.
    The turnout during the last referendum was 85%, so I'm guessing most of the Nats would turn out plus a few Unionists.
  • Options

RobD said:

A win is a win is a win.
    Not really. A 90% win on a 35% turnout is the same number of Yes voters as if Yes won 52% on a 60.5% turnout.

Playing with fire there to hand a victory to your opponents.
    But the turnout was 85% last time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

https://twitter.com/adamparsons/status/1353731265191682049?s=20
  • Options
    1. New ScotParl votes to request authority for new referendum.

2. U.K. Parliament votes it down 590ish to 48.

What happens next?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    edited January 2021
    fpt
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

eek said:

mwadams said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:
    Who gives a crap? Midterm polls are meaningless at best of times, in the middle a pandemic they are beyond meaningless. Why anyone pays the slightest attention is beyond me.
    A few weeks ago we were assured that the Tories would get a Brexit bounce inn the polls. After that failed to materialise a vaccine bounce was predicted. So this poll is interesting in that it seems to show no sign of any bouncing.
    There is a bounce but I suspect it's more like this

with polls continuing as they are until reality suddenly hits.
    It's not often PB includes a pic of one of my heroes.
    Wile E Coyote reminds me of a few current Government Ministers (Hancock and Williamson in particular) who keep on going even though every single one of their plans is thwarted.
    Hancock has vastly improved. After a shaky start, admittedly.

Williamson, oh dear.
    Leon said:

eek said:

mwadams said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:
    Who gives a crap? Midterm polls are meaningless at best of times, in the middle a pandemic they are beyond meaningless. Why anyone pays the slightest attention is beyond me.
    A few weeks ago we were assured that the Tories would get a Brexit bounce inn the polls. After that failed to materialise a vaccine bounce was predicted. So this poll is interesting in that it seems to show no sign of any bouncing.

Wile E Coyote reminds me of a few current Government Ministers (Hancock and Williamson in particular) who keep on going even though every single one of their plans is thwarted.

Williamson, oh dear.
    Hancock is a worthy minister. Once this is over, he deserves some combination of promotion and time away from the trenches- Foreign Secretary is customary in that situation, is it not?

Williamson wasn't worthy last time round. And he's not improved.
    I am on Hancock (now 36s bf) for next Cons leader.

Rishi's fate will be in the hands of the extent of the furlough.

I'm not sure there are too many other candidates. Raab perhaps. Gove I can't see it.
    Hunt would likely run again, if Sunak was not now a contender he might even win next time with Brexit no longer an issue and Corbyn defeated and no more
    That is a good point. Hunt might tempt me back to the Party.
    You're a diehard something or other.
    They don't want you back.
    If they want Hunt they want me.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021
    5 Live’s Naga Munchetty has been speaking to former Australian foreign minister Alexander Downer after reports the UK might be having an "Australian style" quarantine system for people arriving in the country.

He says Australian citizens need the permission of the government to leave the country so "in effect you can’t leave".

Quite right....no popping to Barbados on a fictional "business trip".
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

rcs1000 said:

We just fend them off for three months, they head off for Moscow and the Sputnik vaccine. Been here before.
  • Options
    Sorry your Royal Highness, its not a fecking "z"......

https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/status/1353690091345096725?s=20
  • Options
    I did speak to a constitutional expert/lawyer this morning.

He thinks what will happen is

1) Scottish Government will ask for a referendum

2) UK Government will say no

3) Scottish Government holds one anyway and wins

4) Scottish Government asks the UK Government to start talks on Scexit deal

5) UK Government says no, the Scottish referendum has no weight as it wasn't a section 30 authorised referendum

6) Scottish Government takes this to the courts

7) SCOTUK will probably say the Scottish Government has acted outside its powers ending any talk of Scexit based on 3)

8) However it may rule that a lawful referendum be granted (or ask the UK Government what exactly it considers the trigger for a S30 referendum) because if a party or parties committed to holding Indref2 consistently winning the popular vote/most/majority seats consistently at Westminster and Holyrood elections isn't a trigger then what is?

9) The UK Government response to 8) could trigger all sorts of unintended consequences, I suspect the Belfast agreement and possibly the Australian marriage law postal survey maybe cited.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

A bloody mess, if we have a Unionist boycott then I think it will play havoc with the secondary markets like turnout and share of the votes.

I think the virtual winning line for deriving some sort of moral authority in that scenario would be the 2 million No votes in 2014. Which would require 90% on 50% or thereabouts.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    In response to your point 8, Mr Eagles, if there were a majority of MPs in the Westminster Parliament in favour of Scottish Independence or of holding a referendum on such, then getting the referendum authoried would be easy.
  • Options
    Cases still trending down admissions lagging, deaths still growing, but less quickly:

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Might have something to do with the huge amount of investment made by HMG. About seven times as much as the EU.
    Or it might be, I dunno, because we've APPROVED THE FECKING VACCINE and are USING IT and the EU HASN'T and CAN'T.

Why should they ship vaccine to the EU to gather dust in warehouses while a bunch of third rate politicians argue over who gets what eventually when the vaccine instead could be jabbed into arms to save lives?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    The true victims, such as bookies, are often overlooked.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Might have something to do with the huge amount of investment made by HMG. About seven times as much as the EU.
    It's not just the money, we've been faster in approving, we were taking action back in last March or so, we've been onshoring key bits of supply, and crucially we hedged our bets and ordered an enormous number of doses from several vaccines. Of course if AZ had been a dud we'd be in trouble, so we've had some luck as well.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited January 2021
    Well timed subject, this, for me. Sindy2 timing is what I have fingered for my next BIG politics bet. I'm in the analysis stage atm, no money yet committed. I had been assuming that Betfair's "legal referendum" meant one sanctioned by Westminster, not just Holyrood, but I think I had better talk to Betfair and get this confirmed or otherwise - unless some shrewdie already has?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

What happens next?

What even happens between 1 and 2? Early Day Motion?
  • Options
    Covid case rates in most regions of England are at their lowest level since before the start of 2021, latest figures show.

In London, the rolling seven-day rate as of 20 January stood at 557.8 cases per 100,000 people - down from 770.6 a week earlier, and the lowest since the seven days to 16 December.

In the south west the rate is 281.1, down from 351.1 and the lowest since 30 December, Public Health England data shows.

But the picture is more mixed across the Midlands and northern England.

Rates are down in every region, but not every area is quite back to levels last seen at the end of 2020.

North-west England, for example, is currently recording a rate of 441.3 cases per 100,000, down from 557.3 for the previous week and the lowest since 1 January.

Yorkshire & the Humber continues to record the lowest rate of any region: 241.2, down from 286.1.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Gaussian said:

I think the virtual winning line for deriving some sort of moral authority in that scenario would be the 2 million No votes in 2014. Which would require 90% on 50% or thereabouts.
    Yes. The question of what happens if they got more votes than No did in 2014 is where things would get really interesting.
    And by interesting, I mean messy and not to the PM's advantage.
  • Options
    I still cant see the downside for Sturgeon. It works or stirs up grievance, both positives, and would it really put people otherwise inclined toward independence?
  • Options

I did speak to a constitutional expert/lawyer this morning.

He thinks what will happen is

1) Scottish Government will ask for a referendum

2) UK Government will say no

3) Scottish Government holds one anyway and wins

4) Scottish Government asks the UK Government to start talks on Scexit deal

5) UK Government says no, the Scottish referendum has no weight as it wasn't a section 30 authorised referendum

6) Scottish Government takes this to the courts

7) SCOTUK will probably say the Scottish Government has acted outside its powers ending any talk of Scexit based on 3)

8) However it may rule that a lawful referendum be granted (or ask the UK Government what exactly it considers the trigger for a S30 referendum) because if a party or parties committed to holding Indref2 consistently winning the popular vote/most/majority seats consistently at Westminster and Holyrood elections isn't a trigger then what is?

9) The UK Government response to 8) could trigger all sorts of unintended consequences, I suspect the Belfast agreement and possibly the Australian marriage law postal survey maybe cited.

Alternatively, they might offer to negotiate at stage 5 but offer such a brutal deal (Scottish border at Glasgow, all debts transferred to the Republic of Scotland, 50% tariffs on whisky, all fishing grounds to be controlled by the UK) that the Scots overwhelmingly reject it in a second referendum?

Wouldn't put it past them...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Well timed subject, this, for me. Sindy2 timing is what I have fingered for my next BIG politics bet. I'm in the analysis stage atm, no money yet committed. I had been assuming that Betfair's "legal referendum" meant one sanctioned by Westminster, not just Holyrood, but I think I had better talk to Betfair and get that confirmed or otherwise - unless somebody already has?

Theoretically, the referendum might also be deemed legal by the Supreme Court, under legal challenge from the Scottish government, once it’s been declined by the UK Parliament.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Brexiteers are still obsessed with the EU.

We're doing well with vaccinations. Our pharma industry is stepping up. That's something to be proud of. Is that not enough?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Because it was the first batch produced and fewer places needed it at that time?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited January 2021

rcs1000 said:

I don't understand what they expect to happen? The UK has a domestic manufacturing requirement as part of the contract and in case they don't remember, AZ fucked up our initial delivery as well from 20m to 4m so it's not exactly an isolated incident.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

Cases still trending down admissions lagging, deaths still growing, but less quickly:

That's still a shed load of positives. Even if much down from the peak. Rapid rises and slower falls.
    Cue talk of reopening. Sigh!
  • Options
    edited January 2021

We're doing well with vaccinations. Our pharma industry is stepping up. That's something to be proud of. Is that not enough?

The discussion started because EU politicians are furious that UK is getting vaccinated more quickly.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,969
    Hidden in a long twitter thread about the new Dominion Giulliani lawsuit is this gem, which probably highlights the real point of this case - as Discovery will allow them to see if they can tie Trump into this is anyway shape or form,

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1353716125834612736
  • Options

Is the EU a forbidden subject? It's hardly surprising it gets talked about a lot, it is the UK's biggest neighbour after all. Not to mention that the story was directly related to the UK.
  • Options

It's a bit weird the EU are hinting that we should give up vaccines we're using so they can have a stockpile for an unspecified future date though.

To be honest, it shows the unattractive side of the EU - the smugness, complacency and bone-headed stupidity coupled with a complete inability to actually think through issues in the round rather than merely how they affect their own little world.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Then why do we constantly get told what bloody Redwood or Hanaan think about things?

Either comments from random elected officials matter or they dont.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Then why do we constantly get told what bloody Redwood or Hanaan think about things?

Hannan thinks about things?
  • Options

A referendum which isn't legally authorised and internationally recognised is absolutely no use at all for the Nats, except to further stoke the already well-stoked grievance machine. They must know this, so there's a huge amount of bluster here.

From the point of view of the Conservative government, I really can't see any upside to agreeing the referendum. Better to say No, ignore the fuss, and leave it to the next Labour PM to impale himself or herself on the spike.

Surely you just have a unionist boycott and then dare the SNP to go for UDI based on a referendum process that would embarrass banana republics.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365

You haven't heard the next, logical suggestion, yet.

It's bouncing around on Twitter. Only a matter of time before a politicians says it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't understand what they expect to happen? The UK has a domestic manufacturing requirement as part of the contract and in case they don't remember, AZ fucked up our initial delivery as well from 20m to 4m so it's not exactly an isolated incident.
    Get out of here with your facts.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

rcs1000 said:

Should he not be asking why AZN has not yet been authorised for use in the EU?
  • Options

It's bouncing around on Twitter. Only a matter of time before a politicians says it.
    Does it have anything to do with bleach?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I wonder if this kind of referendum is wise, in many ways Sturgeon might be on to a loser as turnout will be low and Yes votes will be massively outnumbered by those apathetic to the whole stunt. There is a danger that the whole charade might put off some of the softer 'Yes' voters.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

fpt

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

eek said:

mwadams said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Williamson, oh dear.
    Leon said:

eek said:

mwadams said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Williamson, oh dear.
    Hancock is a worthy minister. Once this is over, he deserves some combination of promotion and time away from the trenches- Foreign Secretary is customary in that situation, is it not?

I'm not sure there are too many other candidates. Raab perhaps. Gove I can't see it.
    Hunt would likely run again, if Sunak was not now a contender he might even win next time with Brexit no longer an issue and Corbyn defeated and no more
    And vice versa almost works.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

What happens next?

What even happens between 1 and 2? Early Day Motion?
    Government would give it time, on a free vote.

Note that Conservative and Unionist Party manifesto from 2019 said no referendum during this Parliament.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Think "fair allocation of vital medical supplies"
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Playing to the crowd. Doesnt just happen on this side of the channel.

I do think the claims of obsession with the EU on this topic are rather strange. Quite apart from the EU being our neighbour and what we each do affecting the other, it's not as though the EU has stopped commenting about the UK on things nor should they.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235

No, we need to go much further. We will soon increase our production of vaccine beyond what is required to give everyone in these islands their double dose. What do we do then? I think we keep ramping up production and come to the rescue of others by giving them our surplus. The aid budget should buy as much vaccine as possible for the third world and deliver it. The EU should be given access to our surplus too. Personally, I would give it to them. No conditions, no quid pro quo (other than giving Brits the ability to go on their holidays again). Its what friends do. But maybe I am too nice.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

eek said:

mwadams said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Williamson, oh dear.
    Leon said:

eek said:

mwadams said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Williamson, oh dear.

And vice versa almost works.
    Ah, vice versa.

There was a young lady called Bickers
    Who often went out without...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That'd go down well.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hannan thinks about things?
    In a broad technical sense.

Like how Nobby Nobbs technically had arms as his hands were attached to his shoulders, but that's all you could say about them.
  • Options

A referendum which isn't legally authorised and internationally recognised is absolutely no use at all for the Nats, except to further stoke the already well-stoked grievance machine. They must know this, so there's a huge amount of bluster here.

From the point of view of the Conservative government, I really can't see any upside to agreeing the referendum. Better to say No, ignore the fuss, and leave it to the next Labour PM to impale himself or herself on the spike.

I think it has the potential to blow up badly in Sturgeon's face. A half-cocked "referendum" which goes nowhere could easily turn public opinion around. Not everyone up here is an obsessive Indy-supporter.

A huge risk. But I kinda get the impression that she may be losing her grip a bit. Her husband is in the firing line for possibly misleading the parliamentary inquiry. Wonder if that is getting to her.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Or it might be, I dunno, because we've APPROVED THE FECKING VACCINE and are USING IT and the EU HASN'T and CAN'T.

Why should they ship vaccine to the EU to gather dust in warehouses while a bunch of third rate politicians argue over who gets what eventually when the vaccine instead could be jabbed into arms to save lives?
    Now now - here in Spain we have plenty of Mayors and army Generals who still haven't yet been able to jump the queue and it's pissing them off!
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

That'd go down well.
    There are now a number of politicians who are in the situation that the tide is receding. And their swimware appears to be fictional.

What do you expect them to do?
  • Options
    It's only right that vaccines go to where they're most needed.

Britain's dismal record on Covid-19 puts us quite high up on that list.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    eek said:

Hidden in a long twitter thread about the new Dominion Giulliani lawsuit is this gem, which probably highlights the real point of this case - as Discovery will allow them to see if they can tie Trump into this is anyway shape or form,

One of the Trumptons on here was suggesting it was Dominion who would be concerned about discovery in a libel claim.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    At it again:

Boris Johnson has hinted that the Government will be "looking at the potential of relaxing some measures", before mid- February.

The Prime Minister said that the Government was "looking at the data as it comes in", and then added that "before then we'll be looking at the potential of relaxing some measures".

However No 10 pushed back against Mr Johnson's words and said that the 15th of February "remains the earliest point at which we could change any of the rules".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/01/25/boris-johnson-schools-reopen-vaccine-rollout-easter-lockdown/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

No, we need to go much further. We will soon increase our production of vaccine beyond what is required to give everyone in these islands their double dose. What do we do then? I think we keep ramping up production and come to the rescue of others by giving them our surplus. The aid budget should buy as much vaccine as possible for the third world and deliver it. The EU should be given access to our surplus too. Personally, I would give it to them. No conditions, no quid pro quo (other than giving Brits the ability to go on their holidays again). Its what friends do. But maybe I am too nice.
    Indeed, no reason not to vaccinate the third world once we are happy, and to use the aid budget to pay for it.

Also, I’d write “🇬🇧UK Aid, 🇬🇧 Vaccinating the Developing World🇬🇧” on the boxes.
  • Options

Except, the EU is acting as if we have not left their orbit.

That's all.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    DavidL said:

Rubbish, Europe is a rich continent, it has the means to invest in significant production capacity, they have chosen not to. Any surplus we have should go to the COVAX scheme after a strategic reserve is built up.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

If one of them has to be lying and the other telling the truth my money would be on Sturgeon doing the truth telling. She gives off to me a solid and trustworthy aroma that Salmond, for all his undoubted gifts as a politician, does not.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:
    That cat has my 'this could have been done via email' face during video calls.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pretty sure were we to be impacted with the latest supply problems as well.

If they cant supply they cant supply, end of.

Governments should be used to that given pretty how often defence, IT and infrastructure estimates for cost and timescale are well out.
  • Options
    Lol - currently that's not a lot of flags....
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

eek said:

One of the Trumptons on here was suggesting it was Dominion who would be concerned about discovery in a libel claim.
    On recent evidence, it is quite probable that Dominion has better lawyers than Giulliani.

Actually, pretty much certain. Since he is probably representing himself in this.
  • Options
    First PPE, now vaccines. How low can they stoop?
This discussion has been closed.