Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

During the four years of Trump the Republicans have lost the House, the Senate and the Presidency –

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

I hope all those on the left who were (rightly) outraged by this were as prompt in retweeting their outrage at, for example, the Labour concillor who said that Hitler was "the greatest man in history".

Yeah, right.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/10/labour-councillor-suspended-over-claims-she-called-hitler-the-gr/
    Hopefully none of us 'on the left' would be indulging in weedy whataboutery by linking to a story *checks notes* from more than 4 years ago about a councilor.
    That's plenty of years to have expressed their outrage.

Bet they never did though.

Did you?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Request!

Could you go to the YouTube channel of my business (Just Auto Insurance - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ab43rJxA87wpPRvPCZOqA) and subscribe. We need to get to 100 subscribers by close of business today, and we're at 51. (We're competing with another company with almost the same name!)

Your help would be ENORMOUSLY appreciated.

Bad link
    OK found it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ab43rJxA87wpPRvPCZOqA

60 subscribers now
    You should get Malmesbury to do a graph
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Good test for one's high mindedness (I failed :()

https://twitter.com/CitizenWonk/status/1347611299585302528?s=20

God damn, well, I declare
    Have you seen the like?
    Their walls are built of cannon balls
    Their motto is don't tread on me...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    rcs1000 said:

Gadfly said:

Gadfly said:

rcs1000 said:

Request!

Could you go to the YouTube channel of my business (Just Auto Insurance - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ab43rJxA87wpPRvPCZOqA) and subscribe. We need to get to 100 subscribers by close of business today, and we're at 51. (We're competing with another company with almost the same name!)

Link doesn't work
    Remove the end bracket and it does...

Thanks!

And thanks to all the PBers who've helped.

And thanks in advance to those who are about to click on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ab43rJxA87wpPRvPCZOqA

and SUBSCRIBE!
    Done.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,890

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Bad day - though testing ramping up further:

That testing curve you see? That's *exactly* what we're going to see with vaccinations. It'll start slowly and grow and grow.

Over the course of a week, we'll go from "we're not doing enough!" to "oh, the end is in sight". I forecast that week to be in the first half of March.
    I pray you are right, and you might well be right, the problem is can we get to March without total apocalypse?

I do not see how the NHS can sustain 3000+ new patients every day. IF it stays at that level. That's at least 150,000 new patients by the end of Feb. Impossible.

At that point Neil Ferguson's original prediction (much derided on here) of a possible death toll from Covid plus a crashed NHS, comes into focus. 500,000 dead.

The vaccines and lockdowns need to start working very very soon.
    The lockdown will start showing effects by the beginning of next week. Yes, the new variant is more contagious.

But if people aren't seeing other people, the virus won't spread.

Go look at Belgium - disaster on the vaccines front, but at least they've got their second wave under control.
    We don't know if these lockdowns are sufficient, against Supercovid, to drive R under 1. That is the enormous question yet to be answered.

Belgium is encouraging, but they didn't have the Cockney Pest, did they?
    A disease can have an R of 100: if people simply aren't in contact with other people, then it won't spread.

A bigger issue is simply that lots of people are ignoring the lockdown.
    But even if they were, the lockdown might not be enough. You are describing a perfect lockdown, a la Wuhan, where everyone stays at home all day every day. Food is delivered (perhaps by robots or drones, as in Wuhan). Sick people are welded into their flats. And so forth.

This might be where we have to go. Gawd elp us
    I think it's fair to say that the England's current lockdown is weaker than the one we had in March. If nothing else, schools have more kids in them. (Partly because the definition of key worker is looser, but also because schools are forced to accept children from 1 KW families this time.)

Even if Covid 2020 wasn't spreadier than Covid 2019, that would be a problem, and we all think it is.

The vaccine will come, and it will save most of us. But England had seriously ballsed up the meantime; we may vaccinate quicker but have more deaths on the way.

I'm a physicist, not an expert on people. But psychologically, I can't see this ending well for us.
    Quite a few countries will be changed, traumatically, by this. I am sure the Storming of the Capitol would not have happened without the anger, sadness, frustration brought by Covid. So already we can see it wreaking damage beyond the health effects.
    Ah, this is clearly some new meaning of the word "sure" that I was previously unaware of.
    "Sure: (adjective) certain; without any doubt:"

For a start, without Covid Trump would have won. Meaning no need for a coup. So I am sure on that basis.

Also, the Trumpite right's anger has been stoked by the BLM/antifa riots of the summer, and they too were amplified by the Covid disaster in the first place, in so many ways.

Thirdly, the right has been electrified by its opposition to overweening lockdowns, maskers v antimaskers etc

All these Covid roads led down to Pennsylvania Avenue on Wednesday

So, yes, I am sure
    So why did 7 million MORE people vote for Biden than for Trump? What electrified them?
    Trump.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Look, who hasn't occasionally quoted Hitler directly when speaking? (insert Livingstone joke here)

Just google for good quotes and find one that makes the same point but without being from Hitler.
    LOL at the "Moms for".
    Why do they think any old right wing fruitcakery is morally enhanced by having that before it ad nauseum?
    Some people think being a mother imbues people with particular insight (not denying it will almost certainly affect someone's perspective).
    Best moment in a bleak few years was when Andrea Loathsome was sent packing after trying to make an issue out of Theresa May's childlessness.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,890

To my intense surprise, I passed your test. The poor, sad woman was trampled to death. The sadness outweighs the humour.

My God, I am becoming pious.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Scott_xP said:
    That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?
    Maybe we could build a fire, sing a couple of songs, huh? Why don't we try that?

Picky point but why does he think the victims are all mothers, fathers, grandparents & siblings? Perhaps not thinking so hard about what he writes.
  • Options
    Aston Villa are 43s on Betfair to win tonight.

I know it is the Villa kids and a strong Liverpool team but Liverpool have been a bit poor recently.
  • Options

I hope all those on the left who were (rightly) outraged by this were as prompt in retweeting their outrage at, for example, the Labour concillor who said that Hitler was "the greatest man in history".

Yeah, right.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/10/labour-councillor-suspended-over-claims-she-called-hitler-the-gr/
    Hopefully none of us 'on the left' would be indulging in weedy whataboutery by linking to a story *checks notes* from more than 4 years ago about a councilor.
    That's plenty of years to have expressed their outrage.

Bet they never did though.

Did you?
    It obviously didn't fester in my awareness or memory as it did yours, but current level of outrage is pfft.
  • Options

I'm a terrible human being.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?
    Stay home, and pray (other spiritual approaches are available.)

Whatever we do now will take a few weeks to affect the numbers, but will still be worth doing.

And the, when the dust settles, calmly and furiously interrogate every shyster who put us in this position.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

3867 admitted to hospital. That is horrendous.

This is a sprint, not a marathon, and right now it is a sprint we are LOSING. We are hurtling towards the brick wall of a crashed health system, the brakes are nearly gone, the throttle is jammed, we are accelerating.

I fear I wasn't exaggerating when I said these coming weeks are potentially the most dangerous for the UK since WW2
    I think one problem is there was such a big deal made about the health system crashing last March, flatten that curve etc and it didn't, no Nightingales were used, that when the message comes around again, too many people say yeah yeah, you said that last time. I doubt they fully grasp how bad Cockney Covid is.
    I walked around central London yesterday, with a friend (at a distance). We went from Trafalgar Sq down the South Bank.

Interestingly, it was a route I took on a walk in lockdown 1, in the spring. Back then, the scene ws utterly desolate. Barely a soul.

This time it was very quiet, but there was noticeably more activity. Joggers, tourists (it looked like), cyclists, market traders... and yes I suppose I ws one of them, but at least I am rightly terrified.

How close are we to a Wuhan-style meltdown?

We said the same here on Tuesday but this afternoon it was very quiet, almost deserted. It might be that changed guidelines take a few days to filter through. Not everyone is watching politics 24x7.
    One of the things that was obvious to us in Lincolnshire during the first lockdown was the relative quiet because of the lack of cars on the roads - we are on a fairly busy A road linking two towns. It lasted for weeks and was quite wonderful.

I have to say that this time around I have seen no reduction whatsoever in the numbers of vehicles. There is little, if any, outward sign of lockdown until you go into a town and see the closed shops.
    I am not going anywhere until I get called for my vaccination. It will be chilly solitary walks for me until Easter I suspect.

I don't want to catch Covid obviously. But I also don't want to get anything else which might mean a hospital trip - broken legs etc - so have invested in some comfortable and secure walking boots.

I am worried for my 2 sons who are working for essential food shops and so are exposed to increased risk. Plus my husband living with them. In London. Gulp! I am sure they will be sensible but, still, a worrying time.

A question now for the PB Brains Trust: I am still registered with my GP in London. I can get temporary registration locally. But since I have now been here a year and there is no prospect of me returning to London - not just because of Covid - but also because I've decided to bring forward my permanent move here I want to transfer my registration.

How quick is this? I don't want to move and then find I am not on any vaccination list - either here or in London (am in priority group 6) - because my details get lost in the system.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • Options

half right
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Here's JFK inflaming the Trumpsters

Why couldn't he just heal the nation instead of stoking division.

https://youtu.be/7BEhKgoA86U
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,122

Could be worse. At least nobody quoted These Boots Are Made for Walking:

‘You keep lying when you oughta be truthing.’
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

3867 admitted to hospital. That is horrendous.

This is a sprint, not a marathon, and right now it is a sprint we are LOSING. We are hurtling towards the brick wall of a crashed health system, the brakes are nearly gone, the throttle is jammed, we are accelerating.

I fear I wasn't exaggerating when I said these coming weeks are potentially the most dangerous for the UK since WW2
    I think one problem is there was such a big deal made about the health system crashing last March, flatten that curve etc and it didn't, no Nightingales were used, that when the message comes around again, too many people say yeah yeah, you said that last time. I doubt they fully grasp how bad Cockney Covid is.
    I walked around central London yesterday, with a friend (at a distance). We went from Trafalgar Sq down the South Bank.

Interestingly, it was a route I took on a walk in lockdown 1, in the spring. Back then, the scene ws utterly desolate. Barely a soul.

This time it was very quiet, but there was noticeably more activity. Joggers, tourists (it looked like), cyclists, market traders... and yes I suppose I ws one of them, but at least I am rightly terrified.

How close are we to a Wuhan-style meltdown?

We said the same here on Tuesday but this afternoon it was very quiet, almost deserted. It might be that changed guidelines take a few days to filter through. Not everyone is watching politics 24x7.
    One of the things that was obvious to us in Lincolnshire during the first lockdown was the relative quiet because of the lack of cars on the roads - we are on a fairly busy A road linking two towns. It lasted for weeks and was quite wonderful.

I have to say that this time around I have seen no reduction whatsoever in the numbers of vehicles. There is little, if any, outward sign of lockdown until you go into a town and see the closed shops.
    I am not going anywhere until I get called for my vaccination. It will be chilly solitary walks for me until Easter I suspect.

I don't want to catch Covid obviously. But I also don't want to get anything else which might mean a hospital trip - broken legs etc - so have invested in some comfortable and secure walking boots.

I am worried for my 2 sons who are working for essential food shops and so are exposed to increased risk. Plus my husband living with them. In London. Gulp! I am sure they will be sensible but, still, a worrying time.

A question now for the PB Brains Trust: I am still registered with my GP in London. I can get temporary registration locally. But since I have now been here a year and there is no prospect of me returning to London - not just because of Covid - but also because I've decided to bring forward my permanent move here I want to transfer my registration.

How quick is this? I don't want to move and then find I am not on any vaccination list - either here or in London (am in priority group 6) - because my details get lost in the system.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Was in identical position not so long ago. The transfer was immediate. Covid may make a difference but I doubt it.
  • Options
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    Alistair said:

Careful. You'll get @contrarian accusing you of going on evidence free high-minded moral rants.
  • Options

Aston Villa are 43s on Betfair to win tonight.

I know it is the Villa kids and a strong Liverpool team but Liverpool have been a bit poor recently.

Poor value, imo.

Btw, the much touted tip on here that Trump wouldn't attend Biden's inauguration appears to have come in. Nobody has claimed the credit for it yet. I wondered whether you might like to do so as you receive so little acknowledgement of your many splendid suggestions, and never complain.
  • Options
    Leon said:

To my intense surprise, I passed your test. The poor, sad woman was trampled to death. The sadness outweighs the humour.

My God, I am becoming pious.
    Nah, if that had been a leftie or remainer you'd have laughed your arse off.

Don't deny it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,675
    ydoethur said:
    Both are Floundering, it's Brill.
  • Options
    “James Milner is old enough - and perhaps versatile and hard-working enough - to be the entire Villa team’s dad. It’s men against boys out there!”
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Reeling from the devastating #nodealnicola campaign, surely the honeymoon for Sturgeon and the SNP is about to come to a shuddering halt?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

rcs1000 said:

Gadfly said:

Gadfly said:

rcs1000 said:

Request!

Link doesn't work
    Remove the end bracket and it does...

Thanks!

And thanks to all the PBers who've helped.

And thanks in advance to those who are about to click on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ab43rJxA87wpPRvPCZOqA

and SUBSCRIBE!
    Done.
    Seems I've already subscribed and already forgotten my password ... :neutral:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,675

I suppose I should clarify that I liked your post as I too am a terrible human being, not because I am happy you are a terrible human being.

I mean, that's probably also true, but irrelevant.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    ydoethur said:
    Salmond could potentially bring down Sturgeon though if he leaks what he knows just before the Holyrood elections
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

Careful. You'll get @contrarian accusing you of going on evidence free high-minded moral rants.
    I know that JFK was a bit of a wanker but that speech is fire. There's a level of sincerity and anger there that has pure authenticity.
  • Options
    This thread has

been charged with treason following an Instagram post

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    This thread has been succeeded.
  • Options

New thread

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Floater said:
    Presume a conviction would mean he is disbarred from serving on the VA legislature?
    WV, not VA. You'll get some people very upset making that mistake.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,143

kle4 said:

Oh FFS, people get palpitations of worry if we don't get an early phone call from the US President, of course world leaders went to meet him and kiss his arse.

It's so phoney.
    It's not, and although you're good on several other questions, I'm afraid you're persistently wrong on this particular one. There was nothing run of the mill about the Tory relationship with Trump ; it was founded deep in personal contacts that Trump shared with no other governments.

As I mentioned yesterday, I don't think that makes them the same government ; but it's important to keep reminding of this, so that the government and governing party thinks very carefully about its direction in future.
    I agree more with kle4, but even if you are right ...

For THIS country, May's or Johnson's relationship with Trump was nowhere near as damaging as New Labour's relationship with George W Bush.

Trump has done way more damage to the US than George W. -- but thankfully most of the damage has not directly affected us.
    From a different vantage point, George W Bush's damage was to the image of America's foreign policy around the world, and Britain's by extension for tagging along. Trump's damage is to the image and integrity of democracy itself.
    I agree about George W.

About Trump, I am not sure I do agree. The events in the Capitol have ... err, bigly .. backfired, and are already the subject of widespread ridicule.

I'd say Trump's real damage has been to race relations in the US. It was already a poisoned well & Trump has emptied many tonnes more cyanide to the toxins already in the water.

(To be clear, I am not minimising Trump's crime at the Capitol, I have already said he should be removed from office & left to rot in jail).
    He's caused every bigot on the planet to puff their chest out and feel good about themselves. I think this aspect is under appreciated.
  • Options

Oops so am I. Sorry it was just instinctive.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,934

Oops so am I. Sorry it was just instinctive.
    I failed on Friday when I first saw the story - irony is a killer...
This discussion has been closed.