Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Oxford/AZ vaccine gets approved – now ministers needs to ensure that it gets out quickly and in

Comments

• Options

So:

981 deaths announced.
    Essex calls in the military for desperate help with the ill.
    Professor Whitty is seen working over Christmas in a ward to help with the extreme overstretch.

Meanwhile, Toby Young (the one who keeps calling Professor Whitty “Witless” for his strange insistence that there is, in fact, a problem) keeps penning pieces on how the NHS are doing fine, less stretched than in other years, and they’re just making it up when they say that there’s a problem from these false positives.

At what point do his readers finally conclude that he’s delusional or crooked?

Never. His readers are not rational people.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Do we have any idea whether x% effectiveness means

(1) "x% of the population become immune with this vaccine, and can meet infected people all the time and never catch it" or
    (2) "everyone has a reduction of x% in the probability of catching the infection on any one occasion exposed to it"?

If (1) were the case, then if x is high (e.g. Pfizer's 95%), we might start behaving normally. In particular, NHS staff who meet infected people all the time might be well-prrotected. If (2) is the case then we still need to socially distance etc. until the spread drops so far that you rarely meet an infected person (because you'll still catch it if you keep meeting them, just "100-x%" of time you would have caught it before).

Unfortunately, I'm not sure we can answer this?

Very interesting question. Hope others more viro'd up answer but here is my take -

A vax effectiveness of 90% means that if I take it my risk of becoming infected is 10% of what it would be if I did not take it.

So, for example, if my condition and lifestyle means I have a 50% chance of getting Covid in the next 3 months, if I take the vaccine, all else being equal, my chance of getting it drops to 5%.

And then hopefully the vax does 2 other things for me. It reduces the chance of me getting VERY sick if I do get it. And it stops me somehow spreading it despite not having it.
    From the national as opposed to the personal interest it is really the first of these "other things" that is the key. If you are unlucky enough to catch the virus anyway despite your improved chances you are unlikely to need hospital treatment.
    Yes, that looms large in my thinking. I'd accept a higher chance of catching it in exchange for a lower chance of getting seriously ill. I'd accept being 21 again, as it were.
    I think that is a good way to look at it and a good reason for our current ranking of priorities. This disease is not equal opportunity. The vast majority of 21 year olds who get it will not be ill at all. Many may not even know that they've had it. We all want to get to that stage as fast as possible but especially those who are likely to suffer serious complications as a result.
    The point I do not fully get is this one about "does the vaccine stop you spreading it?" This is apparently not proven by the trials but I don't understand why not. We know it reduces the chance of being infected. So the inference here is it might be possible to pass on the virus without being infected yourself? Is that it?
    Most of the trials didn't test whether people were infected, only if they were showing symptoms.

So it's possible that the vaccines prevented the symptoms, but not the infection - so a vaccinated person could still spread the virus asymptomatically to a person who hasn't received the vaccine.
    Which is another reason the best thing for the NHS is to protect the 1.6 million first before doctors and nurses.

Preventing the symptoms and thus hospitalisations will go a long way to reducing the strain on the NHS. But if a doctor or nurse gets the vaccine, becomes an asymptomatic carrier and then tests positive they'll still have to be removed from the front line even though they're vaccinated.
    Maybe. When things were (maybe still are?) very bad in Liege, in Belgium, in the autumn they were asking asymptomatic staff to work in the Covid wards.

If the system is on the verge of collapse it's the sort of decision that becomes necessary.

I don't think the detail of the vaccine rollout will end up making the crucial difference. The critical factor is: Can restrictions in lockdown three reduce the infection rate?

If they can't then the vaccination programme isn't going to have an effect fast enough to prevent collapse of the hospital system.

We'll find out whether the infection rate is coming under control during next week - when they'll only just be starting to use the AZN vaccine.
    Something else to think of.

We are well north of 800,000 first doses.

the policy so far has been to aim for

75% over 80s
    20% care home staff
    5% NHS staff

The earliest numbers suggest that about 70% over 80s is being achieved, with the balance being taken up by NHS staff.

if 5% - 40,000 NHS staff
    if 10% - 80,000 NHS staff

There are, apparently 295,620 nurses in the NHS and 121,256 doctors -
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-nurse-numbers-continue-rising-with-13840-more-than-last-year

Assuming these are all frontline staff (not actually the case) - somewhere between 10 and 20% of the NHS medical workforce have received their first jab.

As at 20 December, in England, 366,715 over-80s and 154,879 16-79 year olds had had their first jabs. Unless there is a priority group I am unaware of, the latter figure should be predominantly health and care home workers https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-vaccinations/
    I've just had my jab at my local surgery. I'm in the 75-79 age cohort. My surgery intends to do 3,000 vaccinations of this cohort today. Their organisation is impressive. It includes sitting with a cup of tea for 15 minutes after the jab to make sure you don't keel over. I didn't keel over.
    As a category 3 person, your experience suggests they aren't sticking too strictly to the priorities, given that there are tons of over 80s still waiting.

Presumably it will depend on who the local practices can contact, given that the vaccines have quite short shelf-lives once out of ultra-cold storage.
  • Options

In other news, I'm off to Alnwick Castle Gardens tonight to see their light show. The only thing worth looking forward to for another 6 months probably.

I'm due to stay at The Cookie Jar in February.

Can't see that happening.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

So:

981 deaths announced.
    Professor Whitty is seen working over Christmas in a ward to help with the extreme overstretch.

Meanwhile, Toby Young (the one who keeps calling Professor Whitty “Witless” for his strange insistence that there is, in fact, a problem) keeps penning pieces on how the NHS are doing fine, less stretched than in other years, and they’re just making it up when they say that there’s a problem from these false positives.

His detractors only have to counter his figures with better ones on ICU occupancy to destroy his argument.

They haven;t. as far as I can see. All they have is bluster and anecdote.

I wish somebody would. Genuinely.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,709
    OK

So:

@MikeSmithson I owe the site £20. How do I get it to you?

Second - is anyone interested in crowdfunding a prosecution of Williamson for perjury, given his entire strategy is completely unworkable and he repeatedly misled the House on the current situation in education?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,631
    ydoethur said:

Again, he is talking complete bullshit. Unless he is giving a full month (edit - and he isn't) the mass testing regime is going to be completely inoperable, rather than merely totally useless.

This government is genuinely evil.

They are keeping the schools open which is their priority. He is "not willing to sacrifice the life chances of children" in the fight against Covid.

The mass testing program I appreciate they should be called on if it's unworkable.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Gove on fire.

Quick, piss on him...
    I always get the impression that him being on fire would be the only thing that may give you pause in this activity.
    Social distancing would make this a feat worth seeing.
    Isabella, Duchess of York, gave birth to a son when her husband had not been within ten miles of her for over four years.

He must have had truly awesome powers of ejaculation and aim.
    Or she an atypical gestation period
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,200

Useless by Williamson. We need to keep the schools closed until end Jan at the earliest. Certainly the secondary schools.

Keep them closed until Williamson is replaced would be a handy measure for marking an improvement in goverment response.
  • Options
    Labour meanwhile criticising the government for both opening and not opening the schools.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,653

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

(1) "x% of the population become immune with this vaccine, and can meet infected people all the time and never catch it" or
    (2) "everyone has a reduction of x% in the probability of catching the infection on any one occasion exposed to it"?

If (1) were the case, then if x is high (e.g. Pfizer's 95%), we might start behaving normally. In particular, NHS staff who meet infected people all the time might be well-prrotected. If (2) is the case then we still need to socially distance etc. until the spread drops so far that you rarely meet an infected person (because you'll still catch it if you keep meeting them, just "100-x%" of time you would have caught it before).

Very interesting question. Hope others more viro'd up answer but here is my take -

A vax effectiveness of 90% means that if I take it my risk of becoming infected is 10% of what it would be if I did not take it.

So, for example, if my condition and lifestyle means I have a 50% chance of getting Covid in the next 3 months, if I take the vaccine, all else being equal, my chance of getting it drops to 5%.

And then hopefully the vax does 2 other things for me. It reduces the chance of me getting VERY sick if I do get it. And it stops me somehow spreading it despite not having it.
    From the national as opposed to the personal interest it is really the first of these "other things" that is the key. If you are unlucky enough to catch the virus anyway despite your improved chances you are unlikely to need hospital treatment.
    Yes, that looms large in my thinking. I'd accept a higher chance of catching it in exchange for a lower chance of getting seriously ill. I'd accept being 21 again, as it were.
    I think that is a good way to look at it and a good reason for our current ranking of priorities. This disease is not equal opportunity. The vast majority of 21 year olds who get it will not be ill at all. Many may not even know that they've had it. We all want to get to that stage as fast as possible but especially those who are likely to suffer serious complications as a result.
    The point I do not fully get is this one about "does the vaccine stop you spreading it?" This is apparently not proven by the trials but I don't understand why not. We know it reduces the chance of being infected. So the inference here is it might be possible to pass on the virus without being infected yourself? Is that it?
    Most of the trials didn't test whether people were infected, only if they were showing symptoms.

So it's possible that the vaccines prevented the symptoms, but not the infection - so a vaccinated person could still spread the virus asymptomatically to a person who hasn't received the vaccine.
    Which is another reason the best thing for the NHS is to protect the 1.6 million first before doctors and nurses.

Preventing the symptoms and thus hospitalisations will go a long way to reducing the strain on the NHS. But if a doctor or nurse gets the vaccine, becomes an asymptomatic carrier and then tests positive they'll still have to be removed from the front line even though they're vaccinated.
    Maybe. When things were (maybe still are?) very bad in Liege, in Belgium, in the autumn they were asking asymptomatic staff to work in the Covid wards.

If the system is on the verge of collapse it's the sort of decision that becomes necessary.

I don't think the detail of the vaccine rollout will end up making the crucial difference. The critical factor is: Can restrictions in lockdown three reduce the infection rate?

If they can't then the vaccination programme isn't going to have an effect fast enough to prevent collapse of the hospital system.

We'll find out whether the infection rate is coming under control during next week - when they'll only just be starting to use the AZN vaccine.

75% over 80s
    20% care home staff
    5% NHS staff

The earliest numbers suggest that about 70% over 80s is being achieved, with the balance being taken up by NHS staff.

if 5% - 40,000 NHS staff

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-nurse-numbers-continue-rising-with-13840-more-than-last-year

Assuming these are all frontline staff (not actually the case) - somewhere between 10 and 20% of the NHS medical workforce have received their first jab.

As at 20 December, in England, 366,715 over-80s and 154,879 16-79 year olds had had their first jabs. Unless there is a priority group I am unaware of, the latter figure should be predominantly health and care home workers https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-vaccinations/
    I've just had my jab at my local surgery. I'm in the 75-79 age cohort. My surgery intends to do 3,000 vaccinations of this cohort today. Their organisation is impressive. It includes sitting with a cup of tea for 15 minutes after the jab to make sure you don't keel over. I didn't keel over.
    As a category 3 person, your experience suggests they aren't sticking too strictly to the priorities, given that there are tons of over 80s still waiting.

Presumably it will depend on who the local practices can contact, given that the vaccines have quite short shelf-lives once out of ultra-cold storage.
    True - although it suggests to me that host practices are working further down their own patient lists than they should, rather than embarking on the more difficult task of pulling in priority people from elsewhere.
  • Options
    Tears in the Enjineeya household today. Step-daughter had a 4-hour hairdressing appointment booked for tomorrow; now cancelled and she has to go back to uni with "horrible hair". Oh, the humanity!
  • Options
    To be fair, that is quite ballsy of the government, under the circumstances.

Attitudes, apart from on here, are hardening a bit, I think.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

No mention of what's happening to next week's exams yet.

He does know they're scheduled, doesn't he?

Similar boat - we planned for practicals to start Jan 11th. Wording today could go either way.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Again, he is talking complete bullshit. Unless he is giving a full month (edit - and he isn't) the mass testing regime is going to be completely inoperable, rather than merely totally useless.

This government is genuinely evil.

They are keeping the schools open which is their priority. He is "not willing to sacrifice the life chances of children" in the fight against Covid.

The mass testing program I appreciate they should be called on if it's unworkable.
    Well, it is. There is simply no way it can be delivered - probably not at all, certainly not in the timeframes. Even if they did, these tests are of very little value and therefore will do little to cut the transmission of the disease.

So, it is clearly a gimmick to cover up their complete and abject failure to control the virus in schools.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,743
    edited December 2020

So:

981 deaths announced.

On the false positive point, Andy, I understand that PCR tests record as positive those who had the virus in the past but still have some trace in their bodies, even though they are not now infected, as such, and are not contagious. If this is correct (it may not be) are these positives really positives in the useful sense of the word?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

In other news, I'm off to Alnwick Castle Gardens tonight to see their light show. The only thing worth looking forward to for another 6 months probably.

That place looks rather lovely. No - I can't see that happening unfortunately.
  • Options
    I'm not going to be actually "at uni" again this academic year, am I?
  • Options
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    According to Norway the UK has a better deal than their EEA one and are seeking to open negotiations with the the EU to improve their arrangements in line with the UK- EU deal
    It's not "according to Norway", but "according to a Eurosceptic opposition party looking to score points against the Norwegian government".
    How does it go?

Big_G never mentioned that - can't imagine why......
    Maybe this will assist

https://twitter.com/EuroGuido/status/1344263379796586501?s=19
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Labour meanwhile criticising the government for both opening and not opening the schools.

Today, even more, labour look like an analogue party in a digital age.
  • Options

Tears in the Enjineeya household today. Step-daughter had a 4-hour hairdressing appointment booked for tomorrow; now cancelled and she has to go back to uni with "horrible hair". Oh, the humanity!

On a serious note that is an opportunity to manage the epidemic as seeing it as an inconvenience rather than anything more serious.
  • Options

No.
  • Options
    Hooray, Kate Green gets it on exams.
  • Options
  • Options

Got tickets for a gig in April. I guess that wont be happening. If it was June or July then maybe.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

No mention of what's happening to next week's exams yet.

He does know they're scheduled, doesn't he?

Similar boat - we planned for practicals to start Jan 11th. Wording today could go either way.
    First exam for my students is Tuesday. Kate Green just brought this up. Let's see if Gavin remembers to mention it.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    ydoethur said:

In England primary schools to open on the 4th January

I take it he does know most schools will have INSET on Monday?

He should say, 'next week.'
    Only if you think 'most' means 'all'. I don't like the man but the shriller you get the less effective you are.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

No.
    Best £12,000 I've ever spent. :D
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,446
    edited December 2020

So:

981 deaths announced.

I believe the approved response is 981 deaths is high but does not indicate a surge in itself.
  • Options
    Guardian BREAKING from Greece:

The Greek government has announced senior officials will no longer be given priority for the vaccine after posts on social media by Cabinet ministers receiving the shot before most healthcare workers led to a backlash from unions and opposition parties.

Aristotelia Peloni, a deputy spokeswoman for the right wing government, said that the vaccination selfies were “wrong” and the plan to vaccinate 126 officials from the government and state-run organisations was being cut short after around half had received the shot.

It had been expected that a small number of senior officials would receive the vaccine publicly, as part of a plan to persuade everyone that it was safe and necessary, but the number of people on the list took many by surprise.
  • Options

Think of the benefit to your liver.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    According to Norway the UK has a better deal than their EEA one and are seeking to open negotiations with the the EU to improve their arrangements in line with the UK- EU deal
    It's not "according to Norway", but "according to a Eurosceptic opposition party looking to score points against the Norwegian government".
    How does it go?

Maybe this will assist

We paid £60 billion for ours.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

So:

981 deaths announced.

On the false positive point, Andy, I understand that PCR tests record as positive those who had the virus in the past but still have some trace in their bodies, even though they are not now infected, as such, and are not contagious. If this is correct (it may not be), are these positives really positives in the useful sense of the word?
    Over to you Stocky. I have steered clear of the false positive PCR test issue.

There's only so much hatred One person can take.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Why always 4 flags?
    ydoethur said:
    Nonsense, he's jacked about this..
  • Options

You'd only be caught with your hand in it (whatever 'it' might be).
  • Options
    felix said:

ydoethur said:

Only if you think 'most' means 'all'. I don't like the man but the shriller you get the less effective you are.
    I have never worked in a school - and I've worked in five - that did not have INSET on the first Monday of January. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but it's unusual in my experience. He is sending out confused messages for no reason.

And he is waffling like you can't believe it right now.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,823
    Stocky said:

So:

981 deaths announced.

On the false positive point, Andy, I understand that PCR tests record as positive those who had the virus in the past but still have some trace in their bodies, even though they are not now infected, as such, and are not contagious. If this is correct (it may not be), are these positives really positives in the useful sense of the word?
    If the number of positive tests are higher than they should be, then the rate at which those who test positive are dying within 28 days of a test is even worse than understood.

However, if you have symptoms and have virus somewhere up your nose, it is probable that you are meaningfully infected. And the number who are found with virus up their nose remorselessly rising does indicate that the spread is worsening no matter what, because it was certainly active when it got up there.
  • Options
    Not sure that Germans being angry about Israel is the greatest of optics.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:
    Very good
  • Options
    Jan exams/technical tests to go ahead as planned
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The Greek government has announced senior officials will no longer be given priority for the vaccine after posts on social media by Cabinet ministers receiving the shot before most healthcare workers led to a backlash from unions and opposition parties.

Aristotelia Peloni, a deputy spokeswoman for the right wing government, said that the vaccination selfies were “wrong” and the plan to vaccinate 126 officials from the government and state-run organisations was being cut short after around half had received the shot.

It had been expected that a small number of senior officials would receive the vaccine publicly, as part of a plan to persuade everyone that it was safe and necessary, but the number of people on the list took many by surprise.

I actually support senior politicians getting jabs relatively high up the priority list, but how they couldnt have foreseen such a backlash I have no idea.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

Pfizer warns there is NO proof its Covid jab works when doses are taken 12 weeks apart as UK regulator scraps 21-day rule in desperate attempt to get millions more vaccinated

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9099049/Questions-Britains-decision-drop-two-dose-vaccine-regimen.html

FFS.

This government really has screwed the pooch.

I retract all the nice comments I said about the government's approach on vaccines.
    You mean the JVIC, they're the ones recommending moving to "up to 12 weeks".

Are you saying the government should ignore their advice?
    Yes, they're wrong. They've made a series of bad decisions since the procurement taskforce was disbanded. Everything we've done since building the world's best portfolio has been a disaster. Roll out, prioritisation and now ignoring pharma advice on dosing. All of these should be done better and the people in charge are clueless.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,022

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

75% over 80s
    20% care home staff
    5% NHS staff

if 5% - 40,000 NHS staff

That should not be a HUUUUGE problem as most of us are in various varieties of lockdown.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,442
    edited December 2020
    IanB2 said:

You can't win with that sort of thing. No senior people do it, you get criticized for not setting an example and giving the public confidence its safe....you get senior officials to do it, and they are accused.of being queue jumpers.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Corruption in Greece - the cradle of civilisation. who'd a thought it?
  • Options
    Now the Brexit deal is confirmed, there is no possible justification for Johnson to persevere with his spectacularly useless, nodding dog, cabinet. Even among the current massed ranks of dull, dim-witted, disingenuous Tory MPs, there must be better than the current crop of ministers.
  • Options

Stocky said:

So:

981 deaths announced.

Not at all. Keep at it. Yours is a vitally important voice.

As I have said I'm not 100% with you but the thrust of what you post rings absolutely true.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    I'm not sure there is any evidence of a surge in deaths. Look at the numbers. 981 comes after a bank holiday weekend when the numbers were lower. We seem to be recording 400-500 covid deaths daily, though the excess deaths is only (a not insignificant) 250.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Stocky said:

So:

981 deaths announced.

You must not confuse hatred with howls of derisive laughter.
  • Options
    Assessments will continue as planned.

In closed schools?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    How does it go?

Maybe this will assist

'Norwegian politicians'

More conclusive than a really conclusive thing being concluded.
  • Options
    PM signing the worst policy mistake since the War.

How many years will it take to undo the damage? He'll be long gone that's for sure.

Lucky that he so believes in what he has done.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,055
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine hundred and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttteeee... one.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,005
    Uk cases by specimen date

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

So:

981 deaths announced.

His detractors only have to counter his figures with better ones on ICU occupancy to destroy his argument.

I should ignore the reports on the ground?

The internal memo from Southend asking for staff to give up holidays and return to work

The Essex Resilience forum report which states

"all acute NHS Trusts reporting high levels of staff sickness"

"Essex's whole health system is extremely stretched"

On the 29th they reported they were very close to overload

But you think everything is ok?

Delusional and dangerous
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100k population

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

So:

981 deaths announced.

Should have gone to the effing children's meet today after all.
  • Options
    UK local R

• Options

A fantastic award winning hotel.

https://www.cookiejaralnwick.com/
  • Options

Now the Brexit deal is confirmed, there is no possible justification for Johnson to persevere with his spectacularly useless, nodding dog, cabinet. Even among the current massed ranks of dull, dim-witted, disingenuous Tory MPs, there must be better than the current crop of ministers.

I think a reshuffle is planned.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

So:

981 deaths announced.

Not at all. Keep at it. Yours is a vitally important voice.

As I have said I'm not 100% with you but the thrust of what you post rings absolutely true.
    Thanks Mr Topping, genuinely.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

So:

981 deaths announced.

Tier 3 still good (fingers xed).
  • Options

Stocky said:

So:

981 deaths announced.

Ha - my post was a more subtle one that yours. I`m not saying for a moment that the PCR test are wrong due to an error with the tests as some skeptics are (maybe not you). Anyway, Andy has answered my point well (sorry).
  • Options
    felix said:

I think implying Germans are angry about Israel when it's in fact their own government that they're pissed off at doesn't look that great either.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Case summary

Yes, Weekend Effect

Today

Yesterday

• Options
    Floater said:

So:

981 deaths announced.

The internal memo from Southend asking for staff to give up holidays and return to work

Delusional and dangerous
    I haven't followed in detail recently as its xmas but I strongly suspect that Toby's ICU figures and his stuff on beds doesn't take account of lack of staff to handle the people in the beds.

Lockdownsceptics does have some interesting links even if you don't buy everything he tweets.

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

So:

981 deaths announced.

Tier 3 still good (fingers xed).
    Lucky you. Enjoy.
  • Options

Absolutely and the sooner the better with Williamson top to go

I could not listen to him, both his delivery and voice are pathetic and his dealings with schools off the scale of pathetic
  • Options

Floater said:

So:

981 deaths announced.

Delusional and dangerous
    I haven't followed in detail recently as its xmas but I strongly suspect that Toby's ICU figures and his stuff on beds doesn't take account of lack of staff to handle the people in the beds.

Lockdownsceptics does have some interesting links even if you don't buy everything he tweets.

The question is should the govt have taken the intervening 10 months since March to increase NHS capacity and personnel? And did they?

(Ans: yes and no)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    I fear Israel rolling out the vaccine quickly will have certain people thinking.........
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    UK deaths

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,823

So:

981 deaths announced.

Hope this helps (although I, for some reason, have a strange feeling it will not):

Source: ICNARC here https://www.icnarc.org/Our-Audit/Audits/Cmp/Reports
  • Options

felix said:

I think implying Germans are angry about Israel when it's in fact their own government that they're pissed off at doesn't look that great either.
    True - everyone seems to be a bit pissed off at moment. We need a chillout vaccine pronto.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

I have never worked in a school - and I've worked in five - that did not have INSET on the first Monday of January. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but it's unusual in my experience. He is sending out confused messages for no reason.

And he is waffling like you can't believe it right now.
    Strangely of the two Grammar schools in Grantham my son's, Kings, has an Inset day on Monday whilst the Girl's school KGGS had the Inset day on the last Friday before Christmas and was due to be going back as normal on Monday.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Lovely area - and Barter books too!!!!!
  • Options
    Not all brexiteers were happy with the deal....

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1344280898112544771?s=19
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pfizer warns there is NO proof its Covid jab works when doses are taken 12 weeks apart as UK regulator scraps 21-day rule in desperate attempt to get millions more vaccinated

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9099049/Questions-Britains-decision-drop-two-dose-vaccine-regimen.html

FFS.

This government really has screwed the pooch.

I retract all the nice comments I said about the government's approach on vaccines.
    You mean the JVIC, they're the ones recommending moving to "up to 12 weeks".

Are you saying the government should ignore their advice?
    Yes, they're wrong. They've made a series of bad decisions since the procurement taskforce was disbanded. Everything we've done since building the world's best portfolio has been a disaster. Roll out, prioritisation and now ignoring pharma advice on dosing. All of these should be done better and the people in charge are clueless.
    I would disagree with you both about roll put and prioritisation. Both have been very good - unusually for this Government. I can't comment on ignoring pharma advice because I have not seen any news one way or another on that. My uninformed view from outside is that the Government are - so far - having a good roll out of vaccination.
  • Options
    UK positivity

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,556

Useless by Williamson. We need to keep the schools closed until end Jan at the earliest. Certainly the secondary schools.

That's the next iteration, I think. Not too long off.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,870
    All a bit too flash to make the blows really count.

I wonder where Blackford gets his suits - it's just shy of ridiculous. The poor tailor doesn't have a customer that wears it well.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Oh yes. A place of pilgrimage for any book lover.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,208

Scott_xP said:
    Isn't it the Euoskeptic Center Party that's flying that kite?
    In other news I fear I have to enlighten you regarding Farage and his attitude to the EU.

We haven't heard any updates from you on the attitude of your fishing relatives from NE Scotland for a while. It would be great to get an on-the-ground report on reactions to BJ's great deal.
    Why are you upset that Norway may be concerned the UK has a good deal

As for Farage I have comprehensively condemned him in my posts over years

It is a far better deal than the SNP plunging them back into the CFP and not to mention the 100 million support from HMG
    You really, really do need to read up on SNP policy - which has always been unhappy with the CFP and sought to renegotiate it.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,747
    edited December 2020
    981st

Snot looking good izit?
  • Options
    Floater said:

It's a brilliant place, is one of the many reasons I keep on going back.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,331
    "Germany recorded more than 1,000 coronavirus-related deaths in one day for the first time on Wednesday, days after it started vaccinating people and as an extension of a lockdown looms.

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the country rose by 22,459 to 1,687,185, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed.

The reported death toll increased by 1,129 to 32,107."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/dec/30/coronavirus-live-news-uk-approves-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-updates
  • Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospitalisation data

• Options
    felix said:

felix said:

True - everyone seems to be a bit pissed off at moment. We need a chillout vaccine pronto.
    That's so, unfortunately it ain't coming any time soon.
  • Options
    England case age breakdown

England age admissions breakdown

• Options
    kinabalu said:

I suspect that a decent-sized chunk of Tory MPs are struggling to accept the enhanced lockdowns and closing schools goes over a red line for them.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Announced next week when the daily case numbers go past 70,000!
This discussion has been closed.