Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Longstanding PBer, DavidL, gives his forecasts for the new year – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited December 2020 in General
imageLongstanding PBer, DavidL, gives his forecasts for the new year – politicalbetting.com

I think it takes a bit of temerity to make forecasts for the year ahead after the year we have just had. Looking back at my forecasts for 2020 there is a notable missing black swan from the list. However, and in the spirit of things:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    First again, like Tories selling out the fisherpersons.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,224
    Carnyx said:

Or the SNP reneging on a currency union.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    ’Disaprovided’

This is an awesome word I want to make more use of, but what does it mean?

‘Buttler taking over the captaincy.’

Proof, if proof were needed, that Ed Smith is a closet Aussie.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    I only get firsts once in an SNP generation.....
  • Options

I only get firsts once in an SNP generation.....

Every five minutes?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    And with that - I settle down to watch, for the first time, series one, episode one of The Mandalorian.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

2020 award for crappiest non sequitur still open for entries, well done on a strong late effort.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,982

Some Scottish predictions.
    The SNP will win almost all the FPTP seats in May, enough for an overall majority, and around 50% of the vote. The Scottish electorate are impressed with SNP government performance, especially concerning COVID, and will support them. Not everyone in North East Scotland is a fisherman. Some electors grow seed potatoes.
    The SNP will win very few regional seats. The media will concentrate extensively on the Salmond argument in the weeks leading up to the election. The top places on the regional lists will be allocated to wokes. (The ordinary membership no longer have a significant say in who is on the list.) Many SNP activists will vote for their constituency MSP, but will abstain on the list, or vote for another party. The ISP and SSP may pick up the odd seat. The Greens will increase their numbers.
    Nicola Sturgeon will ask Boris Johnson for a referendum. Boris will refuse. Nicola will be hesitant to press the matter. There will not be a referendum. There will be a power struggle within the SNP, which Nicola will lose, having lost the support of the media.
    Fairliered will be very sad, as he has been fighting for Independence for nearly 50 years, and he’s getting on a bit.
    HYUFD will be arrested at Gretna under the SNP Hate Crime Bill.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

2020 award for crappiest non sequitur still open for entries, well done on a strong late effort.
    OK, you don’t like that one. How about ‘fifth, like the number of years after getting its own currency Scotland has to wait before joining the EU?’
  • Options
    Well done on accepting that there will be another referendum DavidL, bring it on. You need to do a bit of work on your gutless, culturally insecure, southern buddies though..
  • Options

The SNP will win almost all the FPTP seats in May, enough for an overall majority, and around 50% of the vote. The Scottish electorate are impressed with SNP government performance, especially concerning COVID, and will support them. Not everyone in North East Scotland is a fisherman. Some electors grow seed potatoes.
    The SNP will win very few regional seats. The media will concentrate extensively on the Salmond argument in the weeks leading up to the election. The top places on the regional lists will be allocated to wokes. (The ordinary membership no longer have a significant say in who is on the list.) Many SNP activists will vote for their constituency MSP, but will abstain on the list, or vote for another party. The ISP and SSP may pick up the odd seat. The Greens will increase their numbers.
    Nicola Sturgeon will ask Boris Johnson for a referendum. Boris will refuse. Nicola will be hesitant to press the matter. There will not be a referendum. There will be a power struggle within the SNP, which Nicola will lose, having lost the support of the media.
    Fairliered will be very sad, as he has been fighting for Independence for nearly 50 years, and he’s getting on a bit.

You can’t arrest somebody in a tank. Not unless you have tanks of your own.

Surely it should be, ‘will be stopped at Gretna for driving without a licence?’
  • Options

Well done on accepting that there will be another referendum DavidL, bring it on. You need to do a bit of work on your gutless, culturally insecure, southern buddies though..

Don’t worry, @malcolmg will rise nobly to the occasion when he needs to.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    Maybe HYUFD wont realise that you can’t drive a tank on an ordinary car licence.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

OK, you don’t like that one. How about ‘fifth, like the number of years after getting its own currency Scotland has to wait before joining the EU?’
    Still a bit crappy, but not quite as shit.
    How many years will Scotland have to wait to join the EU while within the UK?
  • Options
    Does anyone actually like or rate Ian Blackford?

That’s a serious question.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Still a bit crappy, but not quite as shit.
    How many years will Scotland have to wait to join the EU while within the UK?
    Well, according to many of my more fanatical fellow Remainers, about twelve months. :smile:

On a serious note, however, the currency question would in itself need resolving before an independent Scotland could apply for EU membership. So it certainly wouldn’t happen at once.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nobody I know, including SNP members. He’s seen as a bit of a joke.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nobody I know, including SNP members. He’s seen as a bit of a joke.
    I’m glad it’s not just me. I might find him a joke if I found him funny. He comes across as a nastier version of Nigel Farage. I still haven’t forgotten the horrible campaign he ran against Charles Kennedy and he shows no sign of improving.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

He used to do well at PMQs in the last parliament. I have to note, though, that coming after Corbyn helped a lot.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    Interesting thoughts. Have to say if a referendum is conceded, I just can’t see No winning this time round.
  • Options
    Isn’t London going to lose its ability to act as the chief location for euro trades though?
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

Considering on Christmas Eve he said that independence for Scotland wasn't about the question of "leaving the United Kingdom, it's just about gaining political independence for Scotland" I certainly don't rate him. He doesn't even seem to know what independence actually means, he's just hot air who has to remember to sound angry no matter the subject to get the SNP cheers.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Can we post videos on here? Slightly shocked by the level of the Taff in Cardiff. The naked eye suggested about 30cm below the riverbank.
  • Options

Can we post videos on here? Slightly shocked by the level of the Taff in Cardiff. The naked eye suggested about 30cm below the riverbank.

Can you upload it to YouTube and then link?
  • Options
    rel="FrankBooth">Can we post videos on here? Slightly shocked by the level of the Taff in Cardiff. The naked eye suggested about 30cm below the riverbank.

Just post the URL for the relevant Youtube or Twatter page? Seems to work for me.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Arrest at the border in his tank could be a useful stepping stone for HYUFD, as regards publicity.

It will be followed by violent demonstrations by HYUFD's Proud Boys.

Boris will call for the release of the HYUFD One. Scotland will expel him on the grounds of cleanliness.

HYUFD will then be adopted as Parliamentary candidate for a safe Essex seat.

He has all the qualities needed to be an excellent Tory MP.
  • Options
    He surely must be back 2021....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw15jSptIHM
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057

Arrest at the border in his tank could be a useful stepping stone for HYUFD, as regards publicity.

Boris will call for the release of the HYUFD One. Scotland will expel him on the grounds of cleanliness.

He'll ride into Holyrood and declare, "You are no parliament!"
  • Options

From Get Brexit Done to get Basildon?
  • Options

He'll ride into Holyrood and declare, "You are no parliament!"
    And off they will Trot.
  • Options
    I tend to agree with Mr. L that it'll take maybe the whole year for things to get back to normal.

Not expecting the jab anytime soon (nor think I should be other than back of the queue for it), so will hopefully be able to use my lack of vaccine as a bulletproof excuse for shunning social invitations throughout 2021.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,852
    Afternoon all :)

The last 12 months should be a salutary lesson for anyone trying to do predictions but it doesn't seem to stop anyone.

I'll offer two for now - the Conservatives will suffer a net loss of seats in the English County Council elections and Sadiq Khan will be re-elected London Mayor.
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

ydoethur said:

Considering on Christmas Eve he said that independence for Scotland wasn't about the question of "leaving the United Kingdom, it's just about gaining political independence for Scotland" I certainly don't rate him. He doesn't even seem to know what independence actually means, he's just hot air who has to remember to sound angry no matter the subject to get the SNP cheers.
    Is that not a misunderstood comment from a discussion on the merits of devomax under the Starmer plan? Would make sense (in view of the recent gradualist, shift-the-window polocy of the SNP in recent decades).
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

The last 12 months should be a salutary lesson for anyone trying to do predictions but it doesn't seem to stop anyone.

I'll offer two for now - the Conservatives will suffer a net loss of seats in the English County Council elections and Sadiq Khan will be re-elected London Mayor.

I can top those.

Somewhere, a bear will shit in the woods.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2020
    Worse than those that think Pineapple on Pizza is acceptable or that Radiohead are a good live act...who the f##k are the people who think Mrs Brown's Boys should be on tv? Who? Come on, who watches this s##t? Such viewers should be sent to Conservative Home for at least the next 5 years.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2020/12/17/47505/mrs_browns_boys_to_be_on_tv_until_2026#:~:text=Mrs Brown's Boys creator Brendan,of 10pm on Christmas Day.
  • Options

Worse than those that think Pineapple on Pizza is acceptable or that Radiohead are a good live act...who the f##k are the people who think Mrs Brown's Boys should be on tv? Who? Come on, who watches this s##t?

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2020/12/17/47505/mrs_browns_boys_to_be_on_tv_until_2026#:~:text=Mrs Brown's Boys creator Brendan,of 10pm on Christmas Day.

Well, whoever they are the include the controller of BBC1.
  • Options
    I can't remember, are we in a 'Farage, the most influential politician of his generation who made Brexit happen' Brexiteer spasm, or 'Farage, extremist nobody who was a hindrance & stain upon our beautiful Brexit' one?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Worse than those that think Pineapple on Pizza is acceptable or that Radiohead are a good live act...who the f##k are the people who think Mrs Brown's Boys should be on tv? Who? Come on, who watches this s##t?

Well, whoever they are the include the controller of BBC1.
    Seems the number of people is rapidly reducing...down to 3.8 million this year.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1343212073195630598

This is potentially very interesting and something I would personally be in favour of but I can't see it doing well politically. I think Labour would be best to build on social elements and environmental protections but leave the FOM stuff well alone.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    These predictions are interesting. I liked rcs's from this morning. Inflation in my view won't be a big risk in 2021 though.

What I'd surprised that hasn't been featured is the word 'green'. My hunch is that by the end of 2021 the world will have gone bananas about climate and icecaps. Mostly that'll be a good thing.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1343212073195630598

This is potentially very interesting and something I would personally be in favour of but I can't see it doing well politically. I think Labour would be best to build on social elements and environmental protections but leave the FOM stuff well alone.

I think there was never anything preventing close alignment.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

These predictions are interesting. I liked rcs's from this morning. Inflation in my view won't be a big risk in 2021 though.

What I'd surprised that hasn't been featured is the word 'green'. My hunch is that by the end of 2021 the world will have gone bananas about climate and icecaps. Mostly that'll be a good thing.

Good point. And Mr J will have a squirrel in the form of the Glasgow climate conference to try and get away from Brexit + Pox.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,417
    Predicting that there will be another indyref, based on Boris's cowardy-custardness - or to put it more neutrally, his fondness for ease, is hard to argue with. But I wonder on what basis you think he'll propose to have one in 2022. I suspect for a number of reasons he'd want to push the date back, and he'd have a very good case for doing so (whether or not a delay is desirable).
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    ydoethur said:

He's the most pompous berk in the House of Commons, which is some achievement considering he's up against the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2020
    Baron Farage of Fobbing would be best, I think, after the medieval village that gave its name to the term, after trying to evade the poll tax - it's also in Essex, one of the heartlands of Brexit, and so perfect.

I can picture Nigel now, in red ermine and standing on the roof of an old Ford Cortina, returning to the village a people's hero.
  • Options
    Surely the idea Remain will win an Indy Ref with Johnson as PM is quite unlikely, am I wrong?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    I notice none of the predictions so far mention transport. Personally I am expecting a drop of between a quarter and a third in daily commuting. Assuming I turn out to be correct I think this likely to have a fair amount of unforseen consequences. Not least of all calling some transport projects into question. Cleaner air. Increased leisure time. The rebalancing from centralised work places to a more spread out workforce, I am certainly for example looking now I am working from home 100% from now on to moving out of the south east and instead spending my salary in the south west.
  • Options
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Well there’s been a few knighthoods and peerages given out to former MEPs. I know NF isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but it wouldn’t be particularly unreasonable to honour him this year.
  • Options

Baron Farage of Fobbing would be best, I think, after the medieval village that gave its name to the term, after trying to evade the poll tax - it's also in Essex, one of the heartlands of Brexit, and so perfect.

I can picture Nigel now, in red ermine and standing on the roof of an old Ford Cortina, returning to the village a people's hero.
    Perhaps a flypast first..
  • Options
    Boris Johnson will be a fantastic asset for the separatists, should there be another referendum whilst he is PM.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2020

A Spitfire flypast over Fobbing, and then a naval 48-gun salute at Harwich.
  • Options
    Any changes to food prices after Brexit are likely to be "very modest indeed" under the deal struck between the UK and the EU, the chairman of Tesco has said.

John Allan told the BBC that it would "hardly be felt in terms of the prices that consumers are paying".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55460948
  • Options

Surely the idea Remain will win an Indy Ref with Johnson as PM is quite unlikely, am I wrong?

I think Dura Ace had it right when he said Boris is a Secession Machine.

Which is why I think Fairliered is right, and Boris will refuse a Referendum.
  • Options

Any changes to food prices after Brexit are likely to be "very modest indeed" under the deal struck between the UK and the EU, the chairman of Tesco has said.

John Allan told the BBC that it would "hardly be felt in terms of the prices that consumers are paying".

Well there we go.
  • Options

That last sentence is hilarious
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,727
    I know Boris doesn't like pressure, and an SNP majority (as seems inevitable) would be a hell of a lot of pressure, but given how much politicians care about polling I'm not convinced he will give in to a Sindy ref, seeing sticking to his guns as at least buying time on the question even if it goes down very poorly. When it does happen, as it will at some point be in 2022 or sometime else, I think it'll be pretty close, but a win for Sindy.

I'm more worried by the cricket predictions though.

Well he gets more votes in Scotland than Cameron did from the time of hte last Sindy ref.

Of course, one would hope the benefits or negatives of the Union would not come down to whosoever happens to be PM or FM at the time, but of course some number will, and if it is close that could be important.
  • Options

That would be treason. Better than Her Maj gets.
  • Options

The Remainer flak over north London was absolutely beastly

• Options
    That looks awfully close. Hope those immediately downstream are taking precautions.
  • Options

I can't remember, are we in a 'Farage, the most influential politician of his generation who made Brexit happen' Brexiteer spasm, or 'Farage, extremist nobody who was a hindrance & stain upon our beautiful Brexit' one?
    I don't think the distinction between those two is as stark as might be imagined. I think it hard to deny his significant influence over an extended period on this issue, but just as he didn't start the Brexit movement, he didn't end it either, nor does his having a great deal of impact at various times mean he had impact over every part of it or at every period of it.

There have been times when he was instrumental in driving the political movement forwards, and times when he was just carping from the sidelines.
  • Options
    Am I missing something or can Johnson just ignore a second referendum forever
  • Options
    edited December 2020

twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1343217443322392576

We hear this is a possibility every election. If there was ever going to be such a PA, it would have been the last GE, where they could have stopped Brexit, give 16 year olds the vote and introduce PR.
  • Options

Considering the perilous state that some of the price rise negotiations between the blue chips and Tesco are in, this is a smart move by their chairman. He'll blame a modest few percent of the price rise on Brexit and the rest on the idiot manufacturers who failed to properly prepare their supply chains. Its their fault not ours etc.
  • Options

We hear this is a possibility every election. If there was ever going to be such a PA, it would have been the last GE, where they could have stopped Brexit, give 16 year olds the vote and introduce PR.
    Agree, although I think like 1997 there is a slim possibility Labour doesn't bother to campaign in certain seats and vice versa for LDs?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I'd like PR introduced in some form, but a 'progressive alliance' seems to pop up as an idea of PR dreamers far too often. There's just too many other things they all disagree on to work out a deal purely to achieve this one goal. I know the map is just for fun, but a progressive alliance is a weirdly enduring fantasy, usually around imagining LDs/Greens/whoever being wholly defined by anti-Toryism, when if that was all that mattered no one but Labour would have ever existed.

As FrancisUrquhart says, the prime moment for it is past. Whether there are smaller informal agreements is another matter. It's hard to work out what is a reasonable number of places to help out another in that way, and where. The Greens are a good example - obvioulsy whilst Lucas is there many say she should be given a clear run, even from Labour (though I'd disagree), but once she stands down should the Greens be granted any favours there?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Interesting predictions from @DavidL who I can now picture since the full name when googled pulls up a photo of this quite urbane looking Scottish lawyer who it must be. Talking silver fox, sort of thing, which I hadn't really anticipated. Not saying I'm surprised - I'm not - I'm just saying precisely what I mean. I hadn't really anticipated it.

As for the actual predictions, they mostly look very feasible. Hoping the (chronologically) very 1st one falls, however, and I reckon it will. The odds say the Dems do not pull off the Georgia double but I say they will. Another contra consensus prediction of mine is we will see and hear little of political note from Donald Trump. Stripped of the trappings of POTUS his essential absurdity will become ever more apparent to ever more people.

And to @ydoethur re SNP Blackford, I can't say I like him - in fact I dislike his aura - but he is forceful and fluent and he does have a presence. Sort of bloke you might wish to ignore but find you sadly can't. That's my assessment. Definitely not a joke figure.
  • Options

You are not missing anything CHB. The second referendum has no legal mandate at Westminster which ultimately has the final say.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Context? Seems to be the Taff in Cardiff, and levels seem to be safe and falling

https://riverlevels.uk/taff-llandaff-north-community-western-avenue#.X-ipLtj7SUk
  • Options

You’re not missing something. Constitutional affairs are a reserved matter, a referendum cannot take place without primary legislation in the U.K. Parliament, as was the case with the 2014 referendum.
  • Options
    glw said:

ydoethur said:

He's the most pompous berk in the House of Commons, which is some achievement considering he's up against the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg.
    I used to think that too.

However, he did an interview from his home at some point in the summer. He seemed rather warm and lovely.

• Options
    They've been calling for it for years... decades now.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Well there’s been a few knighthoods and peerages given out to former MEPs. I know NF isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but it wouldn’t be particularly unreasonable to honour him this year.
    There's so many worthy people who don't have knighthoods (by choice or omission or buggin's turn), and so many unworthy people who do, it'd be hard to be outraged at the man getting one.

As ever, better someone get a gong than a Peerage.
  • Options

Agree, although I think like 1997 there is a slim possibility Labour doesn't bother to campaign in certain seats and vice versa for LDs?
    To get to PR, Labour have to believe they will never, ever win a UK General Election under FPTP again.

I probably do believe that, but I bet most Labour Party members don't.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289
    edited December 2020

You are not missing anything CHB. The second referendum has no legal mandate at Westminster which ultimately has the final say.
    To be honest that is a big problem for the SNP as both the HOC and HOL would need to agree the legislation and at present there is a huge majority against another referendum

I also would caution the SNP into taking the Orkneys and Shetlands into their independence campaign as it does look possible they could indeed leave Scotland for their own independence
  • Options
    edited December 2020

To get to PR, Labour have to believe they will never, ever win a UK General Election under FPTP again.

I think it is perfectly possible for Labour to do so. Reasonable leader and shadow team, dump the woke / everybody is a racist they just don't know it / colonial stuff, focus on workable solutions to key issues like house prices / rents, education costs, decent wages.
  • Options

Can it not be argued that something of the sort happened in Scotland in the 1990s? It was very much an anti-Tory alliance.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    IshmaelZ - There is more rain expected for this evening and tomorrow morning. After that the local forecast is fairly dry.
  • Options

Keir has been so far quiet on the issue, a good number of his SC support it.

Although I don't know whether such a policy would require a conference vote or whether he could just pledge to introduce it? Perhaps a referendum first.

I think Labour should undoubtedly back it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Interesting predictions from @DavidL who I can now picture since the full name when googled pulls up a photo of this quite urbane looking Scottish lawyer who it must be.

I hate having my internal picture of PBers destroyed, ruins the mystique. Granted, in this case I was imagining an urbane Scottish laywer anyway, but still, think of the lost mystery.

Just in case it should ever come up, I should warn PBers I am not the 6ft 6 muscle bound adonis they were probably picturing me as.
  • Options

I think it is perfectly possible for Labour to do so.
    Without Scotland, and with the Welsh seats reduced in number by the next GE... I don't see how Labour get a majority of seats.

They can get to largest party, sure, but win a majority?
  • Options
    RobD said:

They've been calling for it for years... decades now.
    Ah, so on Brexit time it is due?
  • Options

Although I don't know whether such a policy would require a conference vote or whether he could just pledge to introduce it? Perhaps a referendum first.

I think the electorate will view it quite cynically. Changing the electoral system just for partisan advantage won't go down well.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,852
    This argument was trotted out after the 1992 GE when some called for an anti-Conservative electoral pact. In effect, some thing like that happened but it wasn't planned from above but from below. There were instances of "local understandings" between Labour, LD and others.

In 1997, at constituency level, it was more tacit than strategic - where either Labour or the LDs was perceived as the clear challenger to the Conservatives, the other party did very little or nothing.

Oddly enough, the strength and size of the Labour vote proved in some ways counter-productive. The Conservatives survived in a few seats on the strength of the Labour vote not transferring across to the LDs who were in second place and indeed there were a few incidents of Labour moving from third to first (Bristol West, Falmouth & Camborne).

As a wise man said, "that was then but this is now". Would Labour voters tactically vote LD against a Conservative - perhaps. Would LD voters vote tactically Labour against a Conservative? There's also the Greens to consider - the electoral pact in Bristol West was one instance.

The truth is electoral pacts imposed from above don't usually work well but if they form in the area they can work better but neither is the panacea some would hope.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

You’re not missing something. Constitutional affairs are a reserved matter, a referendum cannot take place without primary legislation in the U.K. Parliament, as was the case with the 2014 referendum.
    What is the law against an advisory referendum?
  • Options
    Betting Post

F1: got a £1 free bet so stuck it on Leclerc at 34 each way (third the odds top 2) to win the driver's in 2021.

Ferrari's performance fell off a cliff in 2020, compared to 2019. This is because they were naughty with the engine in 2019 and effectively had a massive setback in on-track performance. This should see a dramatic recovery on that front next year and the regulation changes are on the modest side.

We know Leclerc's fast and also favoured by the time, and this year, even with a dominant car, Bottas struggled to beat Verstappen (the Finn did have some bad luck, to be fair).

It's not a bad shout for a free bet that might come off. And nothing lost if it doesn't.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

There's so many worthy people who don't have knighthoods (by choice or omission or buggin's turn), and so many unworthy people who do, it'd be hard to be outraged at the man getting one.

As ever, better someone get a gong than a Peerage.
    Yes, Peerages should be reserved for those willing to take an active part in the Legislature over a period of time. NF is probably not that man, especially when there’s lucrative US speaking engagements to be had.

I suspect that, for example, Lord Hannan will better understand the role of a Lord, and be more willing to arrange his private engagements around when Parliament is sitting.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

That'd probably be 90, 95% Yes.
  • Options

He's been quiet on the issue of 'compulsory clown hats for all', but I'm moderately confident that most of the SC don't support that.

PR isn't in either of the main parties interests, but it perhaps will be if Scotland ever sails off that it is in Labour's.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I think the electorate will view it quite cynically. Changing the electoral system just for partisan advantage won't go down well.
    Yes, it's hard for campaigners really, as there are people who genuinely support it as a good idea in itself, and of course people resistant to it for partisan advantage, but as a lot of people become converts to the idea around the time of lost elections, it can easily give the impression that everyone only wants the system that will help them the most. And so making it an issue people actually care about is hard, to the point you can abandon a promise to get rid of FPTP and no one will really care, as we've seen in other places.
  • Options

I think it is perfectly possible for Labour to do so.
    Without Scotland, and with the Welsh seats reduced in number by the next GE... I don't see how Labour get a majority of seats.

They can get to largest party, sure, but win a majority?
    They probably need what 323 for a majority without Sinn Fein?

So 121 seats to gain: http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/labour

Target 121 has a majority of 10270. 16 of those seats are in Scotland. 10.33% swing required.

So assuming they fail to win any in Scotland, they need another 16 elsewhere, then you get to swings of 15% or more.

Realistically their easiest solution is for the Lib Dems to do better, I can't see them forming a majority anytime soon and I say that as a Labour supporter.

Labour/LD coalition without the SNP? More likely.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PR is better for all of us, it's not just a partisan issue. I get what you're saying so I think it would need to be a referendum before it could be implemented.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

That'd probably be 90, 95% Yes.
    Well, thanks for answering a question rather than the question..
This discussion has been closed.