Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters think the deal will be done by the deadline – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited December 2020 in General
imagePunters think the deal will be done by the deadline – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,361
    First?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Now we will need 10 years work to rejoin
  • Options
    I still don't believe it. Not until I see both Johnson and Ursula say the words.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

I very much doubt the UK will rejoin in the future as our trading agreements with the rest of the world will change quite dramatically
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314
    edited December 2020
    Negotiations remind me of this clip:
    https://youtu.be/hgdKFcOssnA
  • Options
    Fenman said:

We won't rejoin. We will never give up the pound sterling.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    Adler stressing the new friction in physical trade and the deal doing very little for services, clearly to avoid the news appearing to suggest that the deal will solve all the potential problems.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024

Fenman said:

I'm with you on the first, but it's entirely possible that governments will lose control of currency at some point in the future.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,059

I very much doubt the UK will rejoin in the future as our trading agreements with the rest of the world will change quite dramatically

They will be much smaller than they are now...
  • Options

Fenman said:

Yet to see them sign any deal that is as good a deal as we have in EU, has anyone any evidence of where they got an improved deal for all the expense and hassle????
    PS: I don't mean a miniscule opportunity like selling stilton to Japan either for worse terms
  • Options
    "The Tory MP Sir Bill Cash will lead a "star chamber" of Brexit lawyers including Martin Howe QC in poring over the legal text before giving a verdict to MPs ahead of a vote, expected to take place on December 30."

Telegraph

Who cares? They don't have the numbers.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Worth bearing in mind that this is the first trade deal in history designed to make it harder not easier to trade. On average, economists think it will subtract about 4% from UK GDP in the long run, relative to single market membership. If they are right this cost is far greater than the net payments we made as an EU member. Still, it is better than no deal, and for that at least we should be thankful.

Well, no it really isn’t, and I say that as a Remainer. The EU wasn’t just about trade, or it’s unlikely we’d ever have left it. It also had major sociopolitical ramifications that were, to put it mildly, not universally popular.

This deal *is* designed to make trade easier than it would be in a clean break. So from that point of view it might fairly be compared to the free trade deals in the former Soviet Union, or Greenland’s arrangements with Denmark after 1985, which in itself sees your point fail.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Never is a long time. Not long ago people might have said the same thing about leaving. At some point the U.K. will leave nostalgia behind and embrace the C21. My hunch is that the future will neither look like leaving or rejoining, but something quite different.
  • Options

Worth bearing in mind that this is the first trade deal in history designed to make it harder not easier to trade. On average, economists think it will subtract about 4% from UK GDP in the long run, relative to single market membership. If they are right this cost is far greater than the net payments we made as an EU member. Still, it is better than no deal, and for that at least we should be thankful.

You could not make it up , the Tory muppets on here ecstatic that fatso has signed a crap deal and we are much worse off than we were before. No wonder the Europeans are rolling about the floor laughing. Not hard to swap £20 for £10 yet it still took these muppets over 4 years.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Fenman said:

They wouldn’t have us we’re not worth the hassle
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708
    rcs1000 said:

Fenman said:

I'm with you on the first, but it's entirely possible that governments will lose control of currency at some point in the future.
    On neither matter is the future writ in stone - and neither is of great concern for the next few years at least.

A deal will be a relief, but I suspect the practical consequences will disappoint many who voted to leave. None of the rest of us are expecting much anyway.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Isn’t that going to be highly problematic for EU potato farmers?

And since 80% of the world’s potatoes are certainly not grown in Europe, it’s not exactly a ‘devastating’ blow if the industry is that monopolistic.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

"The Tory MP Sir Bill Cash will lead a "star chamber" of Brexit lawyers including Martin Howe QC in poring over the legal text before giving a verdict to MPs ahead of a vote, expected to take place on December 30."

Telegraph

They do have the numbers, not to vote down the deal, but to get rid of Boris.
  • Options
    I'm sure this can be sorted down the road if it is such a major problem.
  • Options
    Won’t be the first time one of Johnson’s dodgy negotiations has ended with a massive bang in which everyone gets a good screwing.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

We are not even members of TPP yet and that market will dwarf the EU

Furthermore, we will continue trading with the EU

I do not want to be unkind but despite your 24/7 anti brexit postings you have failed
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    Congratulations to Boris.
    It’s a historic achievement to avoid a No Deal.
    It really is.

Admittedly, it was Boris that made No Deal scarily possible since he ousted Theresa May, but he has managed to avert what would have been an economic and political calamity.

Despite his ill-advised Internal Markets Bill.
    And Cummings being allowed to firebomb half of Whitehall.

Hopefully Boris will now piss off and let the grown-ups rebuild links into the single market.
  • Options
    The big determinant about the next stage of our relationship with the EU is what happens in Scotland. Can we stop the Balkanisation if the U.K.?
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Fenman said:

On neither matter is the future writ in stone - and neither is of great concern for the next few years at least.

A deal will be a relief, but I suspect the practical consequences will disappoint many who voted to leave. None of the rest of us are expecting much anyway.
    The practical consequences might disappoint some of those who voted to leave, yes, but I think the fatigue has well and truly set in now and this issue won't be touched with a bargepole by any of the main parties until the next election.
  • Options
    Punters haven't had a great record predicting EU twists and turns...
  • Options

It really is.

Admittedly, it was Boris that made No Deal scarily possible since he ousted Theresa May, but he has managed to avert what would have been an economic and political calamity.

Hopefully Boris will now piss off and let the grown-ups rebuild links into the single market.

Can you identify any ?
  • Options

It really is.

Given Cummings’ track record, we owe Princess Nut Nuts, oooops, Carrie Symonds a debt of gratitude for being the pretext to fire him before he got his tiny mitts on the rest.
  • Options

Fenman said:

Yet to see them sign any deal that is as good a deal as we have in EU, has anyone any evidence of where they got an improved deal for all the expense and hassle????
    PS: I don't mean a miniscule opportunity like selling stilton to Japan either for worse terms
    From the 1st January the UK is free to strike deals and the biggest prize is the TPP which I expect us to join in the next couple of years, especially as Joe Biden is now likely to take the US into the partnership
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Telegraph

Do they? They might just have the #s to force a leadership challenge, but then???
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see the ERG’s take.
    Although, it is hard to have much faith in their abilities since they overlooked the glaring clauses in the Withdrawal Agreement.
  • Options

Telegraph

As I said last night, comedy hour
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Will we be able to put PT back in his box now that the most wonderful deal has been achieved by the worlds best ever leader? Or will we have to put up with years of explanation as to why it’s so good.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It really is.

Can you identify any ?
    Any what?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Telegraph

Do they? They might just have the #s to force a leadership challenge, but then???
    There's a lot of MPs unhappy with Boris over the virus handling, piss the hard brexit crew off and they will easily have the numbers.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I do not want to be unkind but despite your 24/7 anti brexit postings you have failed
    You too. You voted Remain.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Fenman said:

They would in a heart beat if we entered full membership
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Telegraph

There's a lot of MPs unhappy with Boris over the virus handling, piss the hard brexit crew off and they will easily have the numbers.
    Although it’s not just about whether they have a majority. As was proved with May, if about a third of the party vote against him he’s goosed - albeit not immediately - and I think that would be a likely outcome.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    nichomar said:

Will we be able to put PT back in his box now that the most wonderful deal has been achieved by the worlds best ever leader? Or will we have to put up with years of explanation as to why it’s so good.

And how it's all good because any ensuing business failures and job losses do not affect him personally.
  • Options
    Wasn’t what he was finally arrested for a state crime? Which can’t be pardoned by the President.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Some pertinent conclusions about the (UK) new variant in this preprint from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine:
    https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/reports/uk-novel-variant/2020_12_23_Transmissibility_and_severity_of_VOC_202012_01_in_England.pdf

Highlights:
    (1) Transmissibility estimated as 56% higher than pre-existing variants
    (2) Increased transmissibility fits the data much better than alternative explanations such as increased susceptibility among children, decreased generation time or (crucially) immune escape. (The last of those conclusions is supportive of hopes that existing vaccines and immunity acquired from previous infections will be protective.)
    (3) The new variant is unlikely to be controllable by a November-style lockdown, without closure of schools and universities (= common sense).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_xP said:
    Harry Cole is a total embarrassment. When he tries the "I'm a neutral journalist" schtick it is utterly cringe inducing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Well, no it really isn’t, and I say that as a Remainer. The EU wasn’t just about trade, or it’s unlikely we’d ever have left it. It also had major sociopolitical ramifications that were, to put it mildly, not universally popular.

This deal *is* designed to make trade easier than it would be in a clean break. So from that point of view it might fairly be compared to the free trade deals in the former Soviet Union, or Greenland’s arrangements with Denmark after 1985, which in itself sees your point fail.
    If you are arguing that UK-EU trade won't be harder on Jan 1st after this deal takes effect than on Dec 31st under existing rules then you are demonstrably wrong. Of course it is better than no deal, which is why I said precisely that.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Telegraph

They may have the 40 needed but not the numbers to beat him post a Brexit deal

I very much doubt Boris will be going anywhere anytime soon
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,347
    I can't understand why they would be excluded, unless the clowns in Westminster were trying to provoke Scotland into leaving.
  • Options

Simon Coveney, the Irish foreign minister, has said fishing is agreed in principle in the EU Brexit deal but there are still discussions on the details.

Negotiators are understood to be haggling over individual species and how many can be caught.

A planned briefing in Brussels on fish at 8.30am has been cancelled as the talks continue.

Telegrph blog
  • Options

Fenman said:

From the 1st January the UK is free to strike deals and the biggest prize is the TPP which I expect us to join in the next couple of years, especially as Joe Biden is now likely to take the US into the partnership
    It is hard to see what the TPP has to do with us. Although we might want to strike a trade deal with it, going so far as to join the thing would involve submitting to the sort of foreign rules and arbitration that we have just struggled to escape.
  • Options
    Mega concession from the EU wrt third country status on agriculture. The whole seed market block is a political fig leaf for them to say they did something despite the UK now not being aligned to EU agricultural standards and still having full export rights. It's a £13m export market by value, literally peanuts but it gives the EU an illusion of control.

Expect a lot more of these symbolic gestures in the deal for both sides where we or they maintain control over a tiny, tiny portion of some industry but ultimately both sides are free to get on with 99.9% of life and export to each other without too much fuss.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

It really is.

Can you identify any ?
    Any what?
    Grown-ups.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

If you are arguing that UK-EU trade won't be harder on Jan 1st after this deal takes effect than on Dec 31st under existing rules then you are demonstrably wrong. Of course it is better than no deal, which is why I said precisely that.
    Yes, but my point is that you are making a totally false statement. Your implication is we have negotiated a trade deal to make trade harder. We haven’t. We left a political system, rightly or wrongly, and negotiated a trade deal to free up trade in this new political situation rather than trade on WTO terms. Which actually happens very frequently. So whatever your private views on leave or remain, it is you who is ‘demonstrably wrong’ in your claim that ‘this is the first trade deal in history designed to make it harder not easier to trade.‘
  • Options
    The concern I have about Boris is that the potential headlines will be driving the deal rather than the substance.
  • Options
    Boris is determined to make everyone's Christmas as miserable as possible by announcing a deal, and setting leaver against remainer for ever and a day.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I am content to recognise the democratic vote and to leave with a deal
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The concern I have about Boris is that the potential headlines will be driving the deal rather than the substance.

No sh*t Sherlock. :smiley:
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    Brexit deal. Boris Falklands EU moment.

"The EU was a danger to our fish"

and

"Just Rejoice at that news a
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Well, the positive from that statement is that there would at least be substance.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It really is.

Can you identify any ?
    Any what?
    Grown-ups.
    No, I honestly can’t see any.
    Maybe with “Brexit” proper out of the way some sanity will return to the body politic.

It’s been a divisive, maddening, deluding force for four v long years.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mega concession from the EU wrt third country status on agriculture. The whole seed market block is a political fig leaf for them to say they did something despite the UK now not being aligned to EU agricultural standards and still having full export rights. It's a £13m export market by value, literally peanuts but it gives the EU an illusion of control.

Expect a lot more of these symbolic gestures in the deal for both sides where we or they maintain control over a tiny, tiny portion of some industry but ultimately both sides are free to get on with 99.9% of life and export to each other without too much fuss.

Aren't our agri standards higher?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    nichomar said:

Fenman said:

£12 billion/year offsets a lot of hassle.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It is not ‘literally peanuts.’ You can’t grow potatoes from peanuts.
  • Options

Fenman said:

It is hard to see what the TPP has to do with us. Although we might want to strike a trade deal with it, going so far as to join the thing would involve submitting to the sort of foreign rules and arbitration that we have just struggled to escape.
    It will be the world's largest trading block once the US joins and avoids a UK-US deal
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

If by “content” you mean trolling certain Remainers every morning, sure.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Wasn’t what he was finally arrested for a state crime? Which can’t be pardoned by the President.
    Indeed - and there’s little point in such reductios ad absurdam, given Trump has already pardoned mass murderers.

Though the mooted posthumous pardon of James Earl Ray might cause a stir.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, but my point is that you are making a totally false statement. Your implication is we have negotiated a trade deal to make trade harder. We haven’t. We left a political system, rightly or wrongly, and negotiated a trade deal to free up trade in this new political situation rather than trade on WTO terms. Which actually happens very frequently. So whatever your private views on leave or remain, it is you who is ‘demonstrably wrong’ in your claim that ‘this is the first trade deal in history designed to make it harder not easier to trade.‘
    I'm not actually sure what OLB said is true anyway about this being the only trade deal in history that makes trade harder rather than easier. Didn't Trump's recent deal with Mexico and Canada include more barriers than NAFTA?
  • Options

I'm sure this can be sorted down the road if it is such a major problem.
    As if they will care a jot, it is Scotland so of no importance. Four and a half years and that is bit they miss, very appropriate.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    edited December 2020
    MaxPB said:

‘Literally’ peanuts?

Edit: ha, snap! (not literally)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Aren't our agri standards higher?
    Yes, and the EU weren't willing agree third country status because of that. It's expected that there's now going to be an even bigger divergence but we've got third country status written into the deal. As I said it's a very big concession from them, freedom to diverge whilst maintaining third country status. The potato row is covering up that they've basically given us everything we asked for. Expect there to be serious pushback against it from EU agribusiness in the coming days.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

It really is.

It was all theatre. But he might have accidentally tripped off the stage. Thankfully he hasn't - fingers crossed. We now have a very thin deal on which we can build rather than an acrimonious divorce.
  • Options

Boris is determined to make everyone's Christmas as miserable as possible by announcing a deal, and setting leaver against remainer for ever and a day.

The die hard remainers and leavers may want to continue their battles but the vast majority will move on
  • Options
    And today is the last day that the Johnson government-media complex is in control of the Brexit deal. At the moment, we can all opine on what happens next because it's a matter of opinion. None of us have seen The Deal, let alone it's consequences.

But by tonight, there will be a real bulky document. People will start going through it. In January, there will be real bulky processes. The lipstick won't stay on forever.

Maybe it will turn out to be just the job. Maybe. But I would point out that:

1 Every other attempt to define how to do Brexit has fallen apart under examination.
    2 Johnson is much better at opinion than reality.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,059

Market for what? I think our manufacturing base will continue to shrink given the number of parts we import from the EU. If we join the TPP with the US that will just make it cheaper for them to sell us their crappy cars, and chlorinated chicken.

And a Merry Christmas to you too

Not entirely clear what you think I was doing, or why you think it failed.

If you mean criticising Brexit, today (assuming they sign the bloody deal) is the best it is ever going to be.

All of the problems have been mainly theoretical until now. From here on the practical realities start to bite.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Indeed - and there’s little point in such reductios ad absurdam, given Trump has already pardoned mass murderers.

But that’s a state crime too, AIUI, and therefore even leaving aside the moral dimension it’s not eligible for a Presidential pardon.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

It always grates / amuses when people misuse the word "literally", but I fear the battle is now lost.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/literally

informal
    used to emphasize what you are saying:
    • He missed that kick literally by miles.
    • I was literally bowled over by the news.
  • Options

I can't understand why they would be excluded, unless the clowns in Westminster were trying to provoke Scotland into leaving.
    Well, it’s not like the Scottish agfish sector has traditionally tended to support the Union..
  • Options

The die hard remainers and leavers may want to continue their battles but the vast majority will move on
    Rather depends on what happens to people’s jobs and whether the nationalists can be defeated.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'm not actually sure what OLB said is true anyway about this being the only trade deal in history that makes trade harder rather than easier. Didn't Trump's recent deal with Mexico and Canada include more barriers than NAFTA?
    Yes, notably in some areas to protect US industries. We also gave up loads of independent trade deals when we joined the EU. Nations suspend and amend trade deals all the time.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

And maybe they should stop trolling those who want a deal and move on
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

It always grates / amuses when people misuse the word "literally", but I fear the battle is now lost.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/literally

informal
    used to emphasize what you are saying:
    • He missed that kick literally by miles.
    • I was literally bowled over by the news.
    The asides in Yes Minister (the novelisations) were very good at calling this out:

My heart was literally in my mouth. [If so, Hacker had a uniquely mobile anatomy - Ed.]
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

. It's a £13m export market

So the SNP administration will still have plenty left from the £330million COVID relief they’ve held back from Scottish businesses “for Brexit”.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It is common in analysing trade deals to compare what has been negotiated with what went before, rather than with some hypothetical third scenario. Since I have repeatedly said that the deal is better than this hypothetical third scenario I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Yes it is better than no deal, but much much worse than our prior arrangements.
  • Options
    Is Hans Gruber a Die Hard remainer?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Most of those who don't want a deal are Faragists, not remainers.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

If only this forum was run to suit you..
  • Options
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It is common in analysing trade deals to compare what has been negotiated with what went before, rather than with some hypothetical third scenario. Since I have repeatedly said that the deal is better than this hypothetical third scenario I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Yes it is better than no deal, but much much worse than our prior arrangements.
    Yes, but our prior arrangements were not a trade deal, and shouldn’t therefore be compared on a like for like basis.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

He's surely not going to pardon her, is he?
  • Options
    Wonder where we would be today if Trump had won.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Is Hans Gruber a Die Hard remainer?

Only at Christmas.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

They won't be able to grow potatoes from UK seeds, either. So it's as good as peanuts.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

But that’s a state crime too, AIUI, and therefore even leaving aside the moral dimension it’s not eligible for a Presidential pardon.
    True.
This discussion has been closed.