Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Laying Brian Rose in the London Mayoral race – the best bet out there at the moment – politicalbetti

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,638

So, if I’m keeping up, the fact that the Allies didn’t seem to care much about protecting Axis lives in World War II, 75 years ago, demonstrates that lockdowns aren’t actually about public health but something else completely?

Did I miss a step or two, or is that it?

Wait until you hear what Sweden did during WWII.

That's the example we should have followed.

It would have saved so many British lives.
    And Sweden’s economy was in so much better shape than Britain’s in ‘45..
    It was in oresome shape.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,325

Did you hear about the 80s band who recently objected to the new Covid restrictions?

Apparently, it's a case of Tiers 4 Fears.

That Tier Drop Exploded...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Really disappointed. I thought we had the makings of a debate over what constitutes a proper county but it just fizzled out.

(This post brought to you from the West Riding of Yorkshire)

I always think a county is not a real county if people from the said area are sort of ashamed of it - Nobody takes pride in coming from the fair and just county of the West Midlands or Humberside imho
    Not surprising, considering neither of them have existed for 24 years.
    I thought West Midlands was still around but if both gone all the better for my argument that they are not proper counties!
    The county was abolished in 1986, repeat 1986, but the new ‘metro mayor’ combined authority is called ‘the West Midlands.’
    Well there you go , a crap county , souless and gone
    Not gone, never went.
    Gone for all intents and purposes. Same as Tyne and Wear.
    They have a mayor now with serious devolved powers over the county, I'd suggest becoming more important not less.

Similar Greater Manchester, West & South Yorkshire.
    Tyne and Wear does not have a mayor. Or a police force.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,973
    ydoethur said:

So, if I’m keeping up, the fact that the Allies didn’t seem to care much about protecting Axis lives in World War II, 75 years ago, demonstrates that lockdowns aren’t actually about public health but something else completely?

You mean, stayed out of the war and sold iron to Germany to keep them sweet?
    Quite a lot of serious historians reckon that if the UK had followed the WWI plan for defeat in France - retreat to the UK, massively reinforce the Navy and wait, basically - that without active fighting, Hitler would have simply turned to other things. Like Russia.

The what-ifs from that are interesting.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Any evidence lockdowns working yet? Presumably about to go into another one because governments need to be seen to be able to control things - even when they patently cannot

You mean, apart from the fact when we locked down the virus declined and when we opened up it skyrocketed?
    so err a lot of misery and poverty occurred to kick it down the road a bit?
    You asked if they worked, not about the side effects.

The issue is that you don’t avoid economic damage by not locking down, you just have thousands more deaths on top.
    Deaths that were on average aged 82(?) - and generally people in poor health for 82. Its never been worth it for the damage it has caused.
    I'm curious - how much is your life worth?
    Well its a good and hard question. For instance in war , governments talk about sacrificing lives to maintain freedom , in pandemics governments talk about sacrificng freedom to maintain lives. The one consistent thing governments are about is not saving life but maintaining control. The UK government not that long ago deliberately killed 30K people in a targeting of Dresden in a fire bombing exercise so they do not care about life just about showing they can control stuff. You know bomb this , impose lockdown here , invade Iraq there. I wish a lot of people on here coudl see past death stats (why dont they publish deaths from non covid daily (they are actually higher and you can make nice graphs of those as well)
    Dresden was 80 years ago, in the middle of WWII - times and morals have changed.

Invading Iraq is not generally considered to have been a good idea - largely because of the number of dead people...

If we let COVID rip, then the hospitals would fill up. Very very rapidly. This has been demonstrated, multiple times in multiple countries. Then you don't have a health care system.

I find people dying in the street dreadfully untidy. It upsets the more excitable servants, for one thing.
    Dresden was also during a period of total war. A bit different from now.
    Governments never change - if they needed to exert control and the way to do that was by war and killing people (to save freedom) they would and will. Dresden was at the end of a already won war - still thought 30K lives should be killed though to make a point? Government dont have life saving at the top of any agenda , they have maintaining the veneer of control
    Pretty sure allied troops were still dying. I don’t get what you point about Dresden is. Is it worse than Hamburg? If they could have, bomber command would have inflicted that kind of punishment on every German city. That was the point - to win the war, and stop having us and our allies killed.
    The point about Dresden is to show that governments (even western democracies) dont care about saving life - The atomic bomb on Japan may have had more of a life versus life calculation but the fire bombing of Dresden (the fire was deliberately started to cause maximum civilian loss of life) was never about saving other lifes . It was becasue the government coudl do it ,so they did
    Wasn't one of the arguments put forth for such bombings is that they would help shorten the war, saving Allied lives?
    I am sure that argument was put forward - do you think it was valid ? I don't -
    During WWII I do. It was a total war against a totalitarian regime.
    Given it was a city packed full of civilian refugees with little or no military there , I am being generous I think in saying the bombing took place because of its rather nice buildings as well as just a load of civilians rather than just cold blooded executions of thousands
    Not sure your opinion would have been popular among anyone living in the U.K. at the time. You know, the ones who had been bombed themselves, or lost husbands, fathers, sons. It easy with 75 years of hindsight to think we shouldn’t have bombed Dresden. It’s an easy opinion to hold. But it must be set into the context of the time.
    yes true and I have never held a view just because it would be popular . My point is that governments are not paragons of virtue with saving life as some kind of ultimate aim. Wars clearly demonstrate that to be not true . When it is convinient governments talk about sacrificing lives for freedom and now its convienient to talk about sacrificing freedom for lives
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    ydoethur said:

It was in oresome shape.
    They'd got their bearings.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,782
    edited December 2020
    Tangentially to WWII, which was the bigger intelligence failure?

a) The attack on Pearl Harbor (sic)

or

b) 9/11
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,551

ydoethur said:

Really disappointed. I thought we had the makings of a debate over what constitutes a proper county but it just fizzled out.

I always think a county is not a real county if people from the said area are sort of ashamed of it - Nobody takes pride in coming from the fair and just county of the West Midlands or Humberside imho
    I thought West Midlands was still around but if both gone all the better for my argument that they are not proper counties!
    Not as a unitary authority. Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull and Coventry and are Metropolitan Boroughs/Cities.
    Whilst Andy Street is mayor of the West Midlands county.
    He's a bit of a "wee pretendy" mayor.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Any evidence lockdowns working yet? Presumably about to go into another one because governments need to be seen to be able to control things - even when they patently cannot

You mean, apart from the fact when we locked down the virus declined and when we opened up it skyrocketed?

The issue is that you don’t avoid economic damage by not locking down, you just have thousands more deaths on top.
    Deaths that were on average aged 82(?) - and generally people in poor health for 82. Its never been worth it for the damage it has caused.
    Well its a good and hard question. For instance in war , governments talk about sacrificing lives to maintain freedom , in pandemics governments talk about sacrificng freedom to maintain lives. The one consistent thing governments are about is not saving life but maintaining control. The UK government not that long ago deliberately killed 30K people in a targeting of Dresden in a fire bombing exercise so they do not care about life just about showing they can control stuff. You know bomb this , impose lockdown here , invade Iraq there. I wish a lot of people on here coudl see past death stats (why dont they publish deaths from non covid daily (they are actually higher and you can make nice graphs of those as well)
    Dresden was 80 years ago, in the middle of WWII - times and morals have changed.

Invading Iraq is not generally considered to have been a good idea - largely because of the number of dead people...

If we let COVID rip, then the hospitals would fill up. Very very rapidly. This has been demonstrated, multiple times in multiple countries. Then you don't have a health care system.

I find people dying in the street dreadfully untidy. It upsets the more excitable servants, for one thing.
    Governments never change - if they needed to exert control and the way to do that was by war and killing people (to save freedom) they would and will. Dresden was at the end of a already won war - still thought 30K lives should be killed though to make a point? Government dont have life saving at the top of any agenda , they have maintaining the veneer of control
    Pretty sure allied troops were still dying. I don’t get what you point about Dresden is. Is it worse than Hamburg? If they could have, bomber command would have inflicted that kind of punishment on every German city. That was the point - to win the war, and stop having us and our allies killed.
    The point about Dresden is to show that governments (even western democracies) dont care about saving life - The atomic bomb on Japan may have had more of a life versus life calculation but the fire bombing of Dresden (the fire was deliberately started to cause maximum civilian loss of life) was never about saving other lifes . It was becasue the government coudl do it ,so they did
    Wasn't one of the arguments put forth for such bombings is that they would help shorten the war, saving Allied lives?
    Given it was a city packed full of civilian refugees with little or no military there , I am being generous I think in saying the bombing took place because of its rather nice buildings as well as just a load of civilians rather than just cold blooded executions of thousands
    Not sure your opinion would have been popular among anyone living in the U.K. at the time. You know, the ones who had been bombed themselves, or lost husbands, fathers, sons. It easy with 75 years of hindsight to think we shouldn’t have bombed Dresden. It’s an easy opinion to hold. But it must be set into the context of the time.
    Even at the time there were protests - including from the Bishop of Chichester, George Bell, in the House of Lords.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,346

ydoethur said:

Quite a lot of serious historians reckon that if the UK had followed the WWI plan for defeat in France - retreat to the UK, massively reinforce the Navy and wait, basically - that without active fighting, Hitler would have simply turned to other things. Like Russia.

What about Mussolini?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

WWII wasn't just a military war, it was a total war.

Dresden was a strategic target against a city with industrial, transport and communication strengths to destroy.

In normal circumstances absolutely it would be a horror but against the Nazis? A valid target.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,823
    rcs1000 said:

Ummm, if the government's sole aim was maintaining control over its own population, then wouldn't it - 1984-style - have had perpetual war?

Call me stupid, but I don't think that mass restrictions on peoples' liberty is particularly popular.

I may be confusing the stories, but isn’t that down to the International Conspiracy of Scientists browbeating hapless Governments around the world into subjugating their populations for unspoken but nefarious authoritarian purposes?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It was in oresome shape.
    They'd got their bearings.
    You were pining for that opportunity, weren’t you?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,815

ydoethur said:

Not as a unitary authority. Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull and Coventry are Metropolitan Boroughs/Cities.
    That takes you down the slippery slope where you end up claiming that Leicester isn't in Leicestershire as it is a separate unitary authority
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,035
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

SNP now so desperate apparently the entire case for Scottish independence rests on seed potatoes

https://twitter.com/Ianblackford_MP/status/1341844045493112834?s=20

In other words, the UK Government have not taken into account an important Scottish industry. I used to work in it, albeit as a student, and I know people who have whole farms based on it. That is actually a pretty serious issue.

Edit: for those PBers who are unfamiliar with it, the Scottish farming industry produces a lot of seed potatoes for the rest of the UK, because of the specific climatic conditions and also its specialist knowledge. No seed potatoes, no crop. I'm not sure what the Irish farmers will do now.
    The EU is < 10% of their market.
    Does that stat include the recent change to Northern Ireland's status?
    Not if the goods are destined there, surely.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

SNP now so desperate apparently the entire case for Scottish independence rests on seed potatoes

In other words, the UK Government have not taken into account an important Scottish industry. I used to work in it, albeit as a student, and I know people who have whole farms based on it. That is actually a pretty serious issue.

Edit: for those PBers who are unfamiliar with it, the Scottish farming industry produces a lot of seed potatoes for the rest of the UK, because of the specific climatic conditions and also its specialist knowledge. No seed potatoes, no crop. I'm not sure what the Irish farmers will do now.
    We'll just not call them seed potatoes then.

Just potatoes.
  • Options
    TBH if you wanted to use an example from WWII about why the current government cannot be trusted on saving lives you really shouldn't use the Dresden campaign but the Fall of Singapore.

The more you read about the Fall of Singapore it really is a clusterfuck of shithousery.

The Fall of Singapore was undoubtedly the British Army's second most inglorious moment in its history.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

What about Mussolini?
    That's one of the what-ifs.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Not as a unitary authority. Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull and Coventry are Metropolitan Boroughs/Cities.
    That takes you down the slippery slope where you end up claiming that Leicester isn't in Leicestershire as it is a separate unitary authority
    Everyone from the West Midlands will tell you that Birmingham, Solihull, and Coventry are in Warwickshire.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,971
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The EU is < 10% of their market.
    Does that stat include the recent change to Northern Ireland's status?
    I should think so, given that Northern Ireland also has a seed potato industry. Anyway, lets see what the deal says...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,551

ydoethur said:

Well, it kind of, sort of isn't, but sort of is.

South Gloucestershire, of course has definitely declared UDI from Gloucestershire..
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,536
    HYUFD said:

Adonis and Farage annoyed but otherwise looks like most of us can breathe a sigh of relief and move on

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1341810618140114947?s=20

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1341823543143768064?s=20

No relief. It was never in doubt. No Deal was not and never was a real world option. Thus a Deal was a real world certainty. The late theatrics were to create the optics and the atmosphere Johnson wanted to help him sell the outcome. This is the word and it has the great merit of being palpably true.
  • Options

Tangentially to WWII, which was the bigger intelligence failure?

a) The attack on Pearl Harbor (sic)

or

b) 9/11

Pearl Harbor.

Because even when they knew it was about to happen, they still didn’t believe it.

CF the Soviet response to Barbarossa.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Traitor Halifax would have done that if he had become PM, encouraged by King Edward VIII if he hadn't abdicated.
    As always the American saved us.

• Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

We'll just not call them seed potatoes then.

Just potatoes.
    Slap an "Entertainment purposes only" sticker on the side of the crate.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

The Democrats are going to make the GOP own voting down Trump's $2000 proposal.
    You love to see it.

I cannot believe that actual serious pundits thought this was a great move by Trump.
    It's an irrelevant move for Trump !
    Might be a good move for Warnock and Ossoff though
  • Options

There is a quote from Churchill regarding the bombing of German cities. Along the lines of:

Earlier in the war Britain faced an existential threat so we had to do whatever it took to survive. Now that threat has receded, will we stop bombing the cities? Will we fuck!

Part of my OU module on Just War Theory.

Churchill shat it after Dresden though, even he realised it wasn’t a good look. He hung Harris out to dry somewhat, didn’t he?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

South Gloucestershire, of course has definitely declared UDI from Gloucestershire..
    That’s OK. Nobody in Gloucestershire wanted them back anyway.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The county was abolished in 1986, repeat 1986, but the new ‘metro mayor’ combined authority is called ‘the West Midlands.’
    Well there you go , a crap county , souless and gone
    Not gone, never went.
    Gone for all intents and purposes. Same as Tyne and Wear.
    They have a mayor now with serious devolved powers over the county, I'd suggest becoming more important not less.

Similar Greater Manchester, West & South Yorkshire.
    Tyne and Wear does not have a mayor. Or a police force.
    It's got a fire brigade.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,048
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Although it has to be said, they were very bad at it. Indeed, a case was made in the 1960s that all Allied bombing did was focus minds on the fact the Germans were at war and therefore spur the workforce on to greater efforts with a resultant improvement in the German economy.

It is true that Germany’s war industry reached peak output in mid-1944 just as Allied bombing reached a crescendo, although it is now accepted many other factors were at play.

But for the loss of, without checking, 50% of the aircrews involved it wasn’t a great return for the war effort.
    This is nonsense. We bombed the Germans into submission and chaos. Bomber Harris was right. He could have won the war by himself (and with his exceptionally brave crews). The question is: was this morally correct, given the inevitable and grotesque loss of German civilian life?

In the end the Allies decided No (possibly for political reasons), and drove on to Berlin (thus killing many Allied soldiers who would have lived if we'd relied on air power alone).

After Okinawa, the Americans made exactly the opposite moral choice: they decided that hundreds of thousands of Japanese should die in a few seconds, via bombing, thereby ending the war in a week and saving more American lives (and probably Japanese lives too)
    No, @ydoethur is correct. It doesn't reduce the bravery of our bomber crews to question how effective in its aims the strategic bombing campaign was. Harris though he could stop Germany's war economy, and also break German morale. He did neither.

Indeed probably the biggest effect was to divert German Air and artillery production to shooting down British and American bombers, rather than to supporting the Eastern front. Indirectly it helped Stalin.

By the end of a war, people are usually brutalised, so care little about enemy casualties. Like Andersonville prison or the 1919 blockade of Germany, there is little mercy left.
  • Options

TBH if you wanted to use an example from WWII about why the current government cannot be trusted on saving lives you really shouldn't use the Dresden campaign but the Fall of Singapore.

The more you read about the Fall of Singapore it really is a clusterfuck of shithousery.

The Fall of Singapore was undoubtedly the British Army's second most inglorious moment in its history.

What about Crete - when in possession of intelligence that didn't just include how many paratroops, where and armed how* but detail down to the number of spare underpants** they would have - they still managed to lose?

*Due to the rubbish design of their parachutes, German paratroops were armed with pistols only, when they landed. Everything else was in containers dropped separately.
    **Yes, indeed.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,881

RobD said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

yes true and I have never held a view just because it would be popular . My point is that governments are not paragons of virtue with saving life as some kind of ultimate aim. Wars clearly demonstrate that to be not true . When it is convinient governments talk about sacrificing lives for freedom and now its convienient to talk about sacrificing freedom for lives
    But your comparison with WW2 is absurd. If Nazi Germany had defeated Britain in that war, we would have sacrificed EVERYTHING: lives, economy, freedom, humanity. Germany would have taken over the British Empire, ruling the world, and deliberately slaughtering every Jewish person on most of the globe (and many dissidents, intellectuals, Roma, homosexuals, and so on). It would have been a complete defeat for humankind and the the human soul. An apocalypse.

Defeating Hitler, and utterly vanquishing Nazism, was a profound moral imperative. Which justified otherwise abhorrent acts.

After Nanjing, the same can be said for Imperial Japan. It was a truly evil polity. The Americans were right to A-bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

• Options
    Given the deal hasn't been published then how does the SNP know seed potatoes aren't covered?

And if there was prior public domain knowledge they might not be then why only bring it up after negotiations close and not before hand where maybe it could have influenced the negotiations?

Unless the SNP would rather stand idly by in order to stoke a grievance?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Has he read it?

This will be a useful exercise for creating a list of commentators whose opinions we can just dismiss out of hand.
  • Options

What about Crete - when in possession of intelligence that didn't just include how many paratroops, where and armed how* but detail down to the number of spare underpants** they would have - they still managed to lose?

*Due to the rubbish design of their parachutes, German paratroops were armed with pistols only, when they landed. Everything else was in containers dropped separately.
    **Yes, indeed.
    That was pretty bad but Singapore's sheer number of POWs was something special.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Although it has to be said, they were very bad at it. Indeed, a case was made in the 1960s that all Allied bombing did was focus minds on the fact the Germans were at war and therefore spur the workforce on to greater efforts with a resultant improvement in the German economy.

It is true that Germany’s war industry reached peak output in mid-1944 just as Allied bombing reached a crescendo, although it is now accepted many other factors were at play.

But for the loss of, without checking, 50% of the aircrews involved it wasn’t a great return for the war effort.
    This is nonsense. We bombed the Germans into submission and chaos. Bomber Harris was right. He could have won the war by himself (and with his exceptionally brave crews). The question is: was this morally correct, given the inevitable and grotesque loss of German civilian life?

In the end the Allies decided No (possibly for political reasons), and drove on to Berlin (thus killing many Allied soldiers who would have lived if we'd relied on air power alone).

After Okinawa, the Americans made exactly the opposite moral choice: they decided that hundreds of thousands of Japanese should die in a few seconds, via bombing, thereby ending the war in a week and saving more American lives (and probably Japanese lives too)
    No, @ydoethur is correct. It doesn't reduce the bravery of our bomber crews to question how effective in its aims the strategic bombing campaign was. Harris though he could stop Germany's war economy, and also break German morale. He did neither.

Indeed probably the biggest effect was to divert German Air and artillery production to shooting down British and American bombers, rather than to supporting the Eastern front. Indirectly it helped Stalin.

By the end of a war, people are usually brutalised, so care little about enemy casualties. Like Andersonville prison or the 1919 blockade of Germany, there is little mercy left.
    I have read an awful lot of literature about the air campaigns of WW2, and their utility (I became mildly obsessed with it for a year or so). It would be tedious to rehearse it all on here. Let's just say I disagree.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Adonis and Farage annoyed but otherwise looks like most of us can breathe a sigh of relief and move on

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1341810618140114947?s=20

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1341823543143768064?s=20

No relief. It was never in doubt. No Deal was not and never was a real world option. Thus a Deal was a real world certainty. The late theatrics were to create the optics and the atmosphere Johnson wanted to help him sell the outcome. This is the word and it has the great merit of being palpably true.
    And of course because any quality negotiations always go to the wire. Unavoidable truth.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,543
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

On morale, I’ve always wondered why, seeing the Incredible resilience of London under the blitz, the ‘we can take it’ attitude, we thought that the German civilian response would be different...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Everyone from the West Midlands will tell you that Birmingham, Solihull, and Coventry are in Warwickshire.
    As someone from Gateshead, County Durham I agree.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    I was pleased to see that PBers pushed this price to 13/1 over the course of today, from 6/1 at the start of it. And amused to see it snap back to 7/1 tonight.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    If that was the entire budget they might have a point.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

Given the deal hasn't been published then how does the SNP know seed potatoes aren't covered?

They heard it on the grapevine.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Someone is sowing seeds of doubt in their minds?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

No, it was a plant.
  • Options
    RobD said:

That does seem to really be the bits he complained about though
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    RobD said:

Quincel said:

That can be weeded out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Don't see why that would be relevant - if he has raised specific things as complaints but he had proposed those same things, then what else is in it is immaterial, he would still be nonsensically ridiculous even if the rest of it was a pile of crap.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Gateshead, that small town in Greater Newcastle?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Don't see why that would be relevant - if he has raised specific things as complaints but he had proposed those same things, then what else is in it is immaterial, he would still be nonsensically ridiculous even if the rest of it was a pile of crap.
    Depends if the money is being used the same way in each case? That's not clear here.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No, @ydoethur is correct. It doesn't reduce the bravery of our bomber crews to question how effective in its aims the strategic bombing campaign was. Harris though he could stop Germany's war economy, and also break German morale. It did neither.

On morale, I’ve always wondered why, seeing the Incredible resilience of London under the blitz, the ‘we can take it’ attitude, we thought that the German civilian response would be different...
    The German reaction WAS different, after the firestorms of Hamburg, and when the British realised they could repeat this Satanic device, elsewhere. A firestorm is a unique thing, more like an A-bomb. The Blitz was bad but people did not get sucked into tornadoes of flame.

https://www.thelocal.de/20180723/a-night-of-hell-hamburg-remembers-firestorm-which-left-the-city-in-ruins
  • Options
    For the first it may not amount to it automatically, but has a higher risk of it occurring perhaps. The second is why procedures are so important if you are to avoid corruption.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Depends if the money is being used the same way in each case? That's not clear here.
    With the numbers so similar does it really seem likely that the fundamental nature of how that money was to be used in those areas is markedly different? Or that Trump is capable of making such a nuanced point?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No, @ydoethur is correct. It doesn't reduce the bravery of our bomber crews to question how effective in its aims the strategic bombing campaign was. Harris though he could stop Germany's war economyel, and also break German morale. He did neither.

The recent Berlin 1945 documentary featured quite a few contemporary Allied newsreels. I wouldn’t say the the notes of vengeful glee over the destruction of the city were much more muted in the British ones than the Soviet.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    The only people likely more frustrated in their jobs than the negotiating teams of Brexit in the pointlessness of most of their work are the employees of the Boundary Commission.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    With the numbers so similar does it really seem likely that the fundamental nature of how that money was to be used in those areas is markedly different? Or that Trump is capable of making such a nuanced point?
    Some are likely to be the same, after all you don't win a negotiation by being absolutist. But you could imagine the amount of money being the same but earmarked for something other project.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Here is another version

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1341791993782005762
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    RobD said:

Quincel said:

Someone with their finger on the pulse.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No, @ydoethur is correct. It doesn't reduce the bravery of our bomber crews to question how effective in its aims the strategic bombing campaign was. Harris though he could stop Germany's war economyel, and also break German morale. He did neither.

The recent Berlin 1945 documentary featured quite a few contemporary Allied newsreels. I wouldn’t say the the notes of vengeful glee over the destruction of the city were much more muted in the British ones than the Soviet.
    Such is war. Not all sides will be equal in comportment, but I think we kid ourserlves about how detached and rational the 'good' side will have been at times.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Some are likely to be the same, after all you don't win a negotiation by being absolutist. But you could imagine the amount of money being the same but earmarked for something other project.
    But as I say, do you think that is what Trump would be objecting to? I don't think he operates in a way which would allow him to make a subtle argument, and it didn't come across that way. The simpler explanation seems more likely.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Quincel said:

The barley have a clue wheat is going to be in the deal.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Complain to the French?

Or you could blame the Brits for not sending potatoes to Ireland?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Quincel said:

There's a grain of truth in that.
  • Options

**Yes, indeed.
    Wasn't Crete lost deliberately to cover up the fact we had broken Enigma? Or was that some other battle?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Tewkesbury rules, ok!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I have read an awful lot of literature about the air campaigns of WW2, and their utility (I became mildly obsessed with it for a year or so). It would be tedious to rehearse it all on here. Let's just say I disagree.
    What is interesting is that a increasing proportion of the effort after late 1943 was precision bombing. Oboe etc.

When you read the histories of various German armament programs, again and again they were crippled by specific factories being destroyed.

The idea that Harris was only randomly burning cities down doesn't bear up to inspection.

The percentage of value of production lost was small - but this falls into the tiger-tanks-are-equal-to-potatoes myth. A few percent of the German war economy was utterly critical to waging war. So the inability to use helical gearing in gearboxes due to a lack of machine tools means your tanks break down every 10 miles.... even if said machine tools would fit into one small factory....
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Such is war. Not all sides will be equal in comportment, but I think we kid ourserlves about how detached and rational the 'good' side will have been at times.
    My grand mother was born in 1929 in Northern Germany.

She had a Nazi education.

During the 30's her family were given a Polish slave, until the day of her death in the 2010s she was 100% that the Polish slave was grateful to be allowed to liver in real Germany.

After the war she moved to the UK.

Her family back in Germany never ever forgave what the British did to the population of the local towns at the end and after the war, including shooting her best friend in the head as she broke a curfew to go to hospital as she had gone into labour, amongst many many other horrors.

War is bad, very very bad and no one can possible suggest their 'side' did not do bad shit.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Quincel said:

I see you have the kernel of the problem there.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    edited December 2020
    Quincel said:

I was pleased to see that PBers pushed this price to 13/1 over the course of today, from 6/1 at the start of it. And amused to see it snap back to 7/1 tonight.

Just doubled my exposure at 8.2, thought the 6 - 7 price might stick around more. Maybe it'll be back, who knows though - will put more in again if it is. He's now 9.4 - 12 at Smarkets.
    One reason I guess I'll continue to use Betunfair - all the schmucks are on it.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Rutland is the most pleasing of English counties. I note still in tier 2 and surrounded by plague ridden counties !!
  • Options

The idea that Harris was only randomly burning cities down doesn't bear up to inspection.

My eye caught that sentence out of context and for a moment I wondered why you were accusing Kamala Harris of arson.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Omnium said:

Midlander said:

Midlander said:

Foxy said:

It's fascinating how many Tories on here think that the way forward for Starmer and Labour is to be....... more like the Tories.

It is to be more like the Tories. On both policy and flexibility. The Tories have just won over swathes of voters and seats that they haven't won previously. How? By appealing more to these voters than Labour did. To win these seats back and then seats that are now solidly Blue Labour have to do the same in reverse.

I thought that people used to understand this basic principle of politics, at least until the absurd footballification we now suffer where its all about supporting your team no matter how stupid they are.
    The Tories have succeeded by spending money like a drunken sailor, saying f**k business and f**k the young. That wins votes in parts of the population and country, but ain't a grand strategy for the long term.
    True. Though the problem for Labour is simple but massive - their former vote has largely written off their efforts as not helping them. They voted Brexit & Tory for a decisive change and that hasn't fixed things. Instead of turning back to Labour they either won't vote or will look for increasingly radical solutions like those offered by Nigel "sink the migrants" Farage
    I am a former Labour voter that has gone Conservative in the last few elections, and so are a lot of my friends and family. One of the things that makes it pretty unappealing to go back to Labour is the fact that Labour members constantly call us things like thick racists that want to sink the migrants. In reality, we just want a party that is willing to have moderate levels of migration and is in tune with the bulk of voters outside of the London/university bubbles.
    I don't think you the voter wants to sink the migrants - that would be the Nigel on his dinghy making angry videos. As for migration I get it though I disagree - it must be frustrating that neither party can deliver what you ask for. Labour were and are pro-migration and clearly say so. The Tories were and are pro-migration but lie about not being whilst slashing the budget for the Border Force to make the job even harder.
    I find it very, very revealing that the question

- What size of population should the country have?

Is controversial, un-answerable, immoral etc.

Anyone who can't present a reasoned answer on that - fail.
    It is not racist to want a discussion about migration or population numbers. Mature countries look strategically at such things and make policies accordingly. The problem is that England is not mature, thinks itself uniquely superior and able to both welcome in cheap labour from elsewhere for a fast profit and then complain about said cheap labour.

Parts of England are hugely over-populated, parts are hugely under-populated. The problem is that we concentrate the economy into pockets which drives in people who then say "England is full" when they just mean their bit of England. Our other basic problem is that people will not and cannot afford to do large numbers of jobs that are hard work and low paid. Hence the need for migrants.
    What parts of England are "underpopulated"? I am from the East Midlands, one of the few regions with no big cities and everyone around the place is very happy with that, thank you very much. We don't want Nottingham and Leicester to become like Birmingham or London.

As for jobs, have you ever considered the fact that what are now "migrant jobs" are ones where employers have preferred to have Romanians and Lithuanians they can pay crap wages and give crap conditions to without much complaint? If the open door closes and the Tories don't sell us out with guest worker schemes, those jobs might just be able to pay an honest day's pay under decent conditions because employers would be forced into that to get the workers.
    Why? What is wrong with this?

Oh now you have saddened me because we never got a second film. :(
    What's the film?
    Dredd?
    Ok - thanks.

I liked SF when I was young. I liked comics too (I had what seems like a very valuable Marvel collection now, which I happily just gave away.) No Dredd though. Too young for me. (After having looked it up)

Judge Dredd is a bit too niche for the mainstream, so I am not surprised the Dredd film flopped despite being very true to concept.

One of many great 2000AD strips. Nemesis the Warlock was another of my favourites.
    Nemesis the Warlock was really quite brilliant:

https://twitter.com/Darth_Lebowski/status/1035974726986948608
    For me nothing beats Halo Jones. Alan Moore can sometimes be a bit hit and miss but that story was just about as close to comic perfection as you can get.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The only people likely more frustrated in their jobs than the negotiating teams of Brexit in the pointlessness of most of their work are the employees of the Boundary Commission.
    I know a guy who was on Britain's negotiating team to join the Euro in the mid nineties. Both sides of the table knew there was no point to the negotiations as Britain would never join, but neither side was willing to break off negotiations. The ultimate government sinecure for a few years for him.
  • Options

**Yes, indeed.
    Wasn't Crete lost deliberately to cover up the fact we had broken Enigma? Or was that some other battle?
    That's is simply wrong - invented because no-one could believe, when Enigma was revealed that they could have lost with the info.

Freyberg was given *everything*. Which he proceeded to disregard. Even when the first attacks proved the intelligence to be 100% correct.

• Options
    Pineapple.
  • Options

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Omnium said:

Midlander said:

Midlander said:

Foxy said:

It's fascinating how many Tories on here think that the way forward for Starmer and Labour is to be....... more like the Tories.

It is to be more like the Tories. On both policy and flexibility. The Tories have just won over swathes of voters and seats that they haven't won previously. How? By appealing more to these voters than Labour did. To win these seats back and then seats that are now solidly Blue Labour have to do the same in reverse.

I thought that people used to understand this basic principle of politics, at least until the absurd footballification we now suffer where its all about supporting your team no matter how stupid they are.
    The Tories have succeeded by spending money like a drunken sailor, saying f**k business and f**k the young. That wins votes in parts of the population and country, but ain't a grand strategy for the long term.
    True. Though the problem for Labour is simple but massive - their former vote has largely written off their efforts as not helping them. They voted Brexit & Tory for a decisive change and that hasn't fixed things. Instead of turning back to Labour they either won't vote or will look for increasingly radical solutions like those offered by Nigel "sink the migrants" Farage
    I am a former Labour voter that has gone Conservative in the last few elections, and so are a lot of my friends and family. One of the things that makes it pretty unappealing to go back to Labour is the fact that Labour members constantly call us things like thick racists that want to sink the migrants. In reality, we just want a party that is willing to have moderate levels of migration and is in tune with the bulk of voters outside of the London/university bubbles.
    I don't think you the voter wants to sink the migrants - that would be the Nigel on his dinghy making angry videos. As for migration I get it though I disagree - it must be frustrating that neither party can deliver what you ask for. Labour were and are pro-migration and clearly say so. The Tories were and are pro-migration but lie about not being whilst slashing the budget for the Border Force to make the job even harder.
    I find it very, very revealing that the question

- What size of population should the country have?

Is controversial, un-answerable, immoral etc.

Anyone who can't present a reasoned answer on that - fail.
    It is not racist to want a discussion about migration or population numbers. Mature countries look strategically at such things and make policies accordingly. The problem is that England is not mature, thinks itself uniquely superior and able to both welcome in cheap labour from elsewhere for a fast profit and then complain about said cheap labour.

Parts of England are hugely over-populated, parts are hugely under-populated. The problem is that we concentrate the economy into pockets which drives in people who then say "England is full" when they just mean their bit of England. Our other basic problem is that people will not and cannot afford to do large numbers of jobs that are hard work and low paid. Hence the need for migrants.
    What parts of England are "underpopulated"? I am from the East Midlands, one of the few regions with no big cities and everyone around the place is very happy with that, thank you very much. We don't want Nottingham and Leicester to become like Birmingham or London.

As for jobs, have you ever considered the fact that what are now "migrant jobs" are ones where employers have preferred to have Romanians and Lithuanians they can pay crap wages and give crap conditions to without much complaint? If the open door closes and the Tories don't sell us out with guest worker schemes, those jobs might just be able to pay an honest day's pay under decent conditions because employers would be forced into that to get the workers.
    Why? What is wrong with this?

Oh now you have saddened me because we never got a second film. :(
    What's the film?
    Dredd?
    Ok - thanks.

I liked SF when I was young. I liked comics too (I had what seems like a very valuable Marvel collection now, which I happily just gave away.) No Dredd though. Too young for me. (After having looked it up)

I started buying 2000AD from issue 1 onwards. Stopped getting it after 6 months or so. I guess those early issues would be worth a few bob if I still had them.
    I have the whole collection to date.

Number 1 is a hundred quid or so. Number 2 possibly twice that as it was the first appearance of Judge Dredd. Double that for both of them if they still have the free gifts
  • Options
    RobD said:

Has he read it?

This will be a useful exercise for creating a list of commentators whose opinions we can just dismiss out of hand.
    Checklist:

Tweets regularly quoted by Scott. ✅
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sure, it’s just the retrospective appropriation of virtue that gets on my wick, eg that arse Kelvin McKenzie suggesting Britain fought WWII to save six million Jews.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

In the end the Allies decided No (possibly for political reasons), and drove on to Berlin (thus killing many Allied soldiers who would have lived if we'd relied on air powhttps://amazon.co.uk/Sword-Fire-Atrocity-Medieval-Paperbacks/dp/0304366951/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=cruelty+and+atrocity+in+the+middle+ages&qid=1608759214&sr=8-1er alone).

My grand mother was born in 1929 in Northern Germany.

She had a Nazi education.

During the 30's her family were given a Polish slave, until the day of her death in the 2010s she was 100% that the Polish slave was grateful to be allowed to liver in real Germany.

After the war she moved to the UK.

Her family back in Germany never ever forgave what the British did to the population of the local towns at the end and after the war, including shooting her best friend in the head as she broke a curfew to go to hospital as she had gone into labour, amongst many many other horrors.

War is bad, very very bad and no one can possible suggest their 'side' did not do bad shit.
    Saw this recommended on PB years back, and it was a good read (as much as subject matter allows)

By Sword and Fire: Cruelty and Atrocity in Medieval Warfare
  • Options
    Charles said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Complain to the French?

Or you could blame the Brits for not sending potatoes to Ireland?
    Wouldn’t be the first time.
  • Options

**Yes, indeed.
    That was pretty bad but Singapore's sheer number of POWs was something special.
    It wasn't just the scale of the surrender, that made Singapore such a disaster. It wrecked the credibility of the British Empire in Asia. It was over after that, with the Asian countries independent, and Australia knowing that only America was a reliable protector.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,330
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's not a fine toothcomb, you don't comb your teeth, its a fine-toothed comb. Why does that arse stay in a job?
    No, he is correct. The prongs of a comb are called ‘teeth’. So what people call a ‘comb’ is traditionally a ‘toothcomb’ and if the teeth are close together it is a ‘fine toothcomb.’
    Its not what the online dictionary and grammar sites say....

"with a fine-tooth comb"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fine-tooth-comb
    Either usage is acceptable, but ‘toothcomb’ is the original form.
    From Oxford English dictionary....

Sometimes misunderstood as fine toothcomb, especially in the figurative sense. This form of the expression, and the associated concept of a toothcomb, is often considered erroneous, but fine toothcomb is said to be now “accepted in standard English” by at least the Oxford English Dictionary
    I can’t help what Oxford considers right and wrong. ‘Toothcomb’ is a formulation I’ve seen from fifteenth century documents so I’m happy to stand by my statement.
    A fine toothcomb would be an exceptionally good or valuable toothcomb, though, which is not the meaning required here.

If you can find your source again you should submit it to OED.
    So a fine fishnet is ‘an exceptionally good or valuable’ fishnet?
    Not an expression I'd use; you would say a fine-meshed fishnet, just as you'd say fine-toothed comb.
    Fine toothcomb, or fine tooth-comb, oh fine tooth comb are all equally valid.

Just as you might say a fine frequency-comb (or frequency comb).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Gateshead, that small town in Greater Newcastle?
    That's right. The one with a first class cricket team.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

Rutland is the most pleasing of English counties. I note still in tier 2 and surrounded by plague ridden counties !!

I might pop over for a Scotch egg or two tommorow.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

WWII wasn't just a military war, it was a total war.

Dresden was a strategic target against a city with industrial, transport and communication strengths to destroy.

In normal circumstances absolutely it would be a horror but against the Nazis? A valid target.
    It was a major rail junction 60 miles from the front with the Soviets. Of course it was a target. And Berlin, which suffered much heavier bombing had fewer casualties because the city authorities were organised. And yet decades later fools repeat Goebbels line (fed to the Swedish press) that it was "purely civilian".

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,330

Did you hear about the 80s band who recently objected to the new Covid restrictions?

Apparently, it's a case of Tiers 4 Fears.

and the 80's band who were in favour of the lockdown - the Police and "dont stand so close to me"
    Then there’s the group formed by a bunch of immunologists - My Chemokine Romance.
This discussion has been closed.