Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Remember when Betfair settled a US election market too early and paid out on the loser? – politicalb

12345679»

Comments

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,519
    edited December 2020

RH1992 said:

I suppose in an analogy this Christmas law and advice is similar to a speed limit. Yes, you can legally drive at 60mph on many single track country lanes, but to do so would be extremely risky.

Wooo hold on their buddy....that requires common sense and personal responsibility.... impossible.
    Jesus fucking Christ.

Mr Lock-Everyone-Down-Forever-and-Outlaw-Foreign-Holidays now all of a sudden comes out as Mr Common Sense.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Scott_xP said:
    The only tricky part will be Boris telling HM the Q that to clinch a deal, he has had to sign up the UK to the Church of Rome.....
    No problem with that. After all, she is Fid. Def. so will naturally be the head honcho as part of the compromise agreement.
  • DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Interesting. Checked Wikipedia, and apparently there's lots of arguments over the age.

Not that Wikipedia's always right. It thinks Alexander was Greek...

You'd have us argue that the British Empire was in fact Norman though on that basis.

He may not have been Greek, but his legacy clearly is.
    Surely the British Empire was Norman? They conquered us and then just kept on conquering! The Tory party is clearly the Norman party too.
    It is one of the arguments I have with Scots about their claims that it was 'the English' who conquered and oppressed them. What they forget is that before they were conquered and oppressed by the Norman elite, the same thing had happened to the English. They were the first victims of the Norman Empire.
    England was first conquered by the Anglo Saxons before the Normans however, Scotland was never fully conquered by the Saxons apart from the southeast which was part of the Kingdom of Northumbria. The rest of it was a mix of Celts and Gaelic settlers from Ireland.

Scotland also kept separate monarchs from England for centuries after the Norman conquest of England, unlike Wales which was united under the crown of England by the 13th century the English and Scottish crowns were not united until the 18th century.
    Um no. 'England' was never conquered by the Anglo-Saxons. It was a purely Anglo-Saxon creation. Actually a creation of Alfred and his successors in the 9th century.

The 'English' didn't exist before the Anglo-Saxons arrived and indeed there is strong evidence that across much of the lowlands of Britain they were coming into a largely depopulated landscape as a result of the collapse of the late Romano-British villa landscape.

There is also very little evidence beyond the ASC that they conquered the existing population by force of arms. Most of the sites in Eastern and Southern England that existed at the time show no signs of the sorts of destruction that are usually associated with forced conquest.

As I was taught it, in London there is a very visble evidence of of burnt brickearth, ashy silts and charcoal marking where Boudecca burned the city in AD61. But in the record for period the Anglo-Saxons turned up, nothing remotely similar, indicating there was no one left (or willing) to fight for it. Fascinatingly there is evidence of a small pocket of Romano British culture surviving around St Martin-in-the-Fields contemporanious with the Anglo-Saxons were settling Aldwich less than a mile away.
    Indeed. There is masses of evidence these days for the Anglo-Saxon and Romano-British populations living alongside each other and almost ne evidence at all for a forced conquest. Last year on the site I am excavating at Ancaster we found a mid 5th century cremation urn that was clearly made by a Romano-British potter but which carried ornamentation of what would be regarded as pagan Anglo-Saxon design. We also find across the East Midlands evidence of RB and AS style burials occurring side by side in the same cemeteries. Cotgrave in Nottinghamshire is a good example of this.
  • Have got ex-work colleagues on a WhatsApp group. One asking what he should do. Has bought train tickets for a trip the government made possible (by keeping Kings Cross open for the 5 day window) but is now being told he shouldn't travel.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,763

I am officially deemed "competent" at "practical legal research".

You would never have guessed from my posts on here.

I am not surprised. Arguments and sources are bread and butter on PB.

Well done.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,593

IanB2 said:

Breaking: Welsh two household limit will be law, not just advice

And how is he going to enforce it
    How will the government enforce three households?
    Yes but 3 had been agreed across the UK until the last half an hour

Thats not answering the question though is it!

How will 2,3 or any number you wish to name be enforced?
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 823
    Gaussian said:

Wales reporting still broken. Maybe tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/JCrichtonSmith/status/1339251867847684097

Adding the 11,000 cases expected for tommorrow to the cases that were reported in the last three days gives 12,843, compared to 8,923 in the coresponding five days last week, which seems plausible.
  • RobD said:

I know that you are obsequious in your thinking for political reasons so I will walk you through it again.

We are locked down. We can't legally mix indoors. For some of us that situation hasn't been lifted since this began. For Christmas a 5 day amnesty was declared - a window where up to three households can mix indoors. Before and after this amnesty they cannot mix indoors.

By creating a window where you can do something after months of not being able to do something, you actively promote such behavior. Marketed by the government and their media as "Boris saves Christmas"

'That will be difficult' complained Tory MPs due to major engineering works closing Kings Cross Station as well as other major network upgrades, major roadworks and the usual wind down of coach and rail services for Christmas made worse by Covid. So the government clears away the roadworks, reopens the rail lines and pays for additional services.

So not only have they saved Christmas, they have made it easier than ever to travel during the 5 day amnesty period. Transport Secretary Michael Green was bragging on Twitter about government cash spent on coach seats to go home.

The scientists have pointed out their actions will kill people in their tens of thousands. So having Saved Christmas and paid to make travel home for Christmas the easiest it can be, they now say don't stay overnight.

Its literally laughable. I know you are intelligent, so I don't get why you say something that is patently wrong for political point scoring purposes. I couldn't give a toss about party politics during this and have said so repeatedly - I was attacking Keith Starmer earlier so its not an anti-Tory pro-Labour attack.

Thank you, I am aware of the present situation and the proposals. The visits or gatherings were going to happen anyway, regardless of what the government says or does. I don't think there is much to be gained by changing the law to criminalise this behaviour, but that doesn't mean the advice can't be to limit gatherings to small circles.
    So if the advice is not to travel why have the government made a big deal out of making it possible for people to travel? If we shouldn't stay with relatives for Christmas why have the government repeatedly told us they have saved Christmas by allowing us to stay with relatives for Christmas.

Are you sure you aren't Theresa May? NOTHING HAS CHANGED.
  • MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Oxford approval appears to be going backwards

CW now saying expects MHRA approval early next year possibly sooner.

Have they broke up early for Christmas?

Or waiting for more evidence from the ongoing trials ?
    It looks like they are waiting for more data, maybe from US trial which is going to recruit 10k into the half/full dose regime now that it has restarted. I do wonder whether the MHRA will go for the partial approval rather than wait for data to give full approval. I'm hoping for the former.
    Also, I wonder how long it will be before they approve the Moderna vaccine? It sounds as FDA approval is imminent.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,577

RobD said:

I know that you are obsequious in your thinking for political reasons so I will walk you through it again.

We are locked down. We can't legally mix indoors. For some of us that situation hasn't been lifted since this began. For Christmas a 5 day amnesty was declared - a window where up to three households can mix indoors. Before and after this amnesty they cannot mix indoors.

By creating a window where you can do something after months of not being able to do something, you actively promote such behavior. Marketed by the government and their media as "Boris saves Christmas"

'That will be difficult' complained Tory MPs due to major engineering works closing Kings Cross Station as well as other major network upgrades, major roadworks and the usual wind down of coach and rail services for Christmas made worse by Covid. So the government clears away the roadworks, reopens the rail lines and pays for additional services.

So not only have they saved Christmas, they have made it easier than ever to travel during the 5 day amnesty period. Transport Secretary Michael Green was bragging on Twitter about government cash spent on coach seats to go home.

The scientists have pointed out their actions will kill people in their tens of thousands. So having Saved Christmas and paid to make travel home for Christmas the easiest it can be, they now say don't stay overnight.

Its literally laughable. I know you are intelligent, so I don't get why you say something that is patently wrong for political point scoring purposes. I couldn't give a toss about party politics during this and have said so repeatedly - I was attacking Keith Starmer earlier so its not an anti-Tory pro-Labour attack.

Thank you, I am aware of the present situation and the proposals. The visits or gatherings were going to happen anyway, regardless of what the government says or does. I don't think there is much to be gained by changing the law to criminalise this behaviour, but that doesn't mean the advice can't be to limit gatherings to small circles.
    So if the advice is not to travel why have the government made a big deal out of making it possible for people to travel? If we shouldn't stay with relatives for Christmas why have the government repeatedly told us they have saved Christmas by allowing us to stay with relatives for Christmas.

They have advised people to stay with relatives for Christmas?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    RobD said:

There's many things that they cannot realistically enforce yet they have made it law. That some people won't listen to the law if it says X doesn't necessarily mean you just give up and make it advice, since many people will follow law while they will not follow advice.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,520

So ridiculous people who keep saying why is a big deal made about Christmas but not Eid.

Christmas is a public holiday, Eid is not.

Churches were shut during Easter too.

I'm with you on this one Philip. However there are a few deluded Christians who believe the holiday has something to do with the birth of the son of a mythical god and sadly a number of those are also deluded in believing their religion is more important than others and that is why there is a holiday for them and not other worshipers of mythical gods.

As far as our household is concerned Christianity plays no part whatsoever in the event and has nothing whatsoever to do with the holiday.

This of course is also true of Easter which we celebrate with gifts of chocolates and worship the Easter Bunny with a feast.
  • RobD said:

Many people will be travelling - so you want those that are to travel safely.

But if you don't need to travel you're being advised to think twice about doing it.

What part of that are you struggling to understand?
  • IanB2 said:

To be fair it won't
  • IanB2 said:

And how will they enforce it? You want to attack Drakeford for changing something unenforceable for something unenforceable. You don't see the hole in your argument...? Why not attack Shagger for setting the unenforceable thing at 3? And don't say "people know what they are allowed to do. Because that has just been changed in the last half hour.
    In the first instance maybe a more mature reference to Boris Johnson would help but the point here is that all four
    administrations agreed the 3 rule, confirmed this morning and only in the last half hour changed by Drakeford

Drakeford is presiding over a his failure of policy while desperately trying to contain covid

He is a disaster for Wales and not just on covid but as anyone who has dealt with Wales NHS will testify
    You keep saying changed in the last half hour. Shagger - a lying manchild who can't stop philandering hence the name - stood there at PMQs and said all 4 nations were in agreement. Wales had already said it wasn't - something the media were correcting whilst he was still on his feet attacking Keith.

Just because you keep repeating "last half hour" doesn't make it correct. It isn't. Nor have you answered how 2 or 3 or any number will be enforced. Because you know it can't be enforced. You are attacking something that can't be enforced because you dislike Drakeford. I have no problem with you wanting him gone but this isn't his fault.
    The change by Drakeford has come this afternoon when earlier he was saying it was advice

LBC had the story during PMQs. If all 4 nations were agreed as Prime Minister (who can't stop fucking women who aren't his wife and got repeatedly sacked for lying including once for lying about shagging someone who wasn't his wife - is that better?) insisted why wasn't that true? Once again he either didn't know what was going on or just lied.
    edited December 2020

IanB2 said:

And how will they enforce it? You want to attack Drakeford for changing something unenforceable for something unenforceable. You don't see the hole in your argument...? Why not attack Shagger for setting the unenforceable thing at 3? And don't say "people know what they are allowed to do. Because that has just been changed in the last half hour.
    In the first instance maybe a more mature reference to Boris Johnson would help but the point here is that all four
    administrations agreed the 3 rule, confirmed this morning and only in the last half hour changed by Drakeford

Drakeford is presiding over a his failure of policy while desperately trying to contain covid

He is a disaster for Wales and not just on covid but as anyone who has dealt with Wales NHS will testify
    Deleted
  • RobD said:

The 'saving xmas' message from Government has been screaming at us for weeks.

The biggest failure of public health comms in god knows how many decades.

• RobD said:

RobD said:

They have advised people to stay with relatives for Christmas?
    Yes - unless the intention was for people to travel the length of the country by train / coach / car and return home the same day. That the bubble covered normal days either side of Christmas to allow return travel rather shows that wasn't the intent.
  • IanB2 said:

To be fair it won't
    Which as the rule of 2 not being enforced in Wales being Drakeford's fault means the rule of 3 not being enforced in England is Johnson's fault. Isn't it?
  • kjh said:

So ridiculous people who keep saying why is a big deal made about Christmas but not Eid.

Christmas is a public holiday, Eid is not.

Churches were shut during Easter too.

I'm with you on this one Philip. However there are a few deluded Christians who believe the holiday has something to do with the birth of the son of a mythical god and sadly a number of those are also deluded in believing their religion is more important than others and that is why there is a holiday for them and not other worshipers of mythical gods.

As far as our household is concerned Christianity plays no part whatsoever in the event and has nothing whatsoever to do with the holiday.

This of course is also true of Easter which we celebrate with gifts of chocolates and worship the Easter Bunny with a feast.
    Well said.

Our Easter traditional feast in my family is homemade sushi. We go get some fresh fish on the Saturday and after the kids find what the Easter Bunny has brought we spend the afternoon making a feast of sushi rolls, sashimi etc

We made sushi for fun before we had kids years ago on Easter Sunday as something different then the next year we decided that was fun lets do it again - and since then its just become our tradition.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,262
    edited December 2020

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I like being privileged. I enjoy the privileges I have, and I'm excited about the thought of accruing more privileges as I go through life. I don't wish others were less privileged so I could be more privileged - that seems like screwed up logic.

Congratulations on finding a new way of spectacularly missing the point on the issue of white privilege, a significant achievement given the wide range of bone-headed responses we've already seen on this topic here.
    We await your insightful contributions with interest.
    I've said loads on this topic, I feel like a broken record. Bottom line - living in a multiracial household I belive white privilege to be real, I have seen it in action. It is one of many ways (like class or sex) that some groups are treated better than others in ways that are unconnected to their talents or intrinsic worth. To be honest, it surprises me that people find it controversial and put so much effort into proving it doesn't exist, rather than listening to those who say it has affected them and finding ways of making society fairer.
    The idea of white privilege is (afaik) that white people communicating with other white people benefit from a sort of unconscious shortcut of supposed familiarity and approbation. So is the 'solution' to this problem that white people should be more suspicious and disapproving of each other? How would that help society? The problem is not white people being too privileged, it is non-white people not being privileged enough, and therefore the solution does not lie in attacking white privilege, but building non-white privilege. See also every other problem based on 'those people' having 'too much'. That's why white privilege being a problem is an absurdity.
    This is not the idea, no. White Privilege refers to the fact that in Western society by and large a white person may face many challenges and obstacles in life but their skin colour will not be one of them. They quite literally never have to think about it in the way that many others have to all or most or much the time. This is a privilege in the true sense of the word since it is relative to others and is not earned. Its oddity (as a privilege) is that it applies to a majority, which could be why it jars. Speaking personally, I find it a useful and powerful way of looking at the race issue. It brings it home rather keeping it at arms length.
    'Quite literally never have to think about it'? Perhaps that was true once, but not after the super-saturation of wokeness throughout our entire media and popular culture. One can't even watch a football match without having the rituals of wokeness performed in front of you, so it's really quite hard to avoid these days.
    I struggle to see you with your Latin and your ancient wit & wisdoms in true simpatico with the Proud Boys down in The Den.
    Eh? Julius Caesar redefined Latin prose style - plus managed a few other minor achievements along the way - but that didn't stop him mixing it up with the plebs against the grave, out-of-touch optimates.
    See what I mean? Try a fancy comment like that down at the Den and you'll probably get an even bigger boo than if you'd taken a knee, shouted Black Lives Matter! at the top of your voice, and insulted Jim Davidson.
    It's all right, it's only us here. It's just possible that in that situation I might feel a little pueris superbis constrictus - inhibited by the attendant circumstance of the Proud Boys' presence - so probably best to wait till everyone's too drunk to notice.
    A little pueris superbis constrictus?

Tell me about it. Story of my life.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    One for the "I'm sure people will be sensible over Christmas" bank

https://twitter.com/samthielman/status/1339247978905808905

IanB2 said:

To be fair it won't
    Thank you

Dont know about you BigG but we have now decided to almost cancel Christmas with the vaccine so close.

Not worth the risk
    edited December 2020

Have got ex-work colleagues on a WhatsApp group. One asking what he should do. Has bought train tickets for a trip the government made possible (by keeping Kings Cross open for the 5 day window) but is now being told he shouldn't travel.

Tell him how many times a day you exercised outside during the first lockdown.

The law was you can go outside to exercise; the guidance was only exercise once a day.

(Full disclosure: I exercised outside at least three times a day during the first lockdown. Albeit on an Apollo Highway which I'm sure @Dura_Ace would say is not proper exercise, then again at least it wasn't raining, but I digress.)
  • IanB2 said:

You keep saying changed in the last half hour. Shagger - a lying manchild who can't stop philandering hence the name - stood there at PMQs and said all 4 nations were in agreement. Wales had already said it wasn't - something the media were correcting whilst he was still on his feet attacking Keith.

Just because you keep repeating "last half hour" doesn't make it correct. It isn't. Nor have you answered how 2 or 3 or any number will be enforced. Because you know it can't be enforced. You are attacking something that can't be enforced because you dislike Drakeford. I have no problem with you wanting him gone but this isn't his fault.
    The change by Drakeford has come this afternoon when earlier he was saying it was advice

LBC had the story during PMQs. If all 4 nations were agreed as Prime Minister (who can't stop fucking women who aren't his wife and got repeatedly sacked for lying including once for lying about shagging someone who wasn't his wife - is that better?) insisted why wasn't that true? Once again he either didn't know what was going on or just lied.
    I am ignoring your immature rant but can tell you I listened to Drakeford initially confirm it's advice and this was after PMQs

He later this pm decided to announce he would change it into law
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Countdown until CorrectHorseBattery says "capitulation" without even reading any of what has been agreed . . .
    A bad deal will be spun as better than no deal, lol! Of course it is capitulation. It always was going to be. Only a complete thicket (aka Brexiteer) would think otherwise. They are a big trading block, and we are a much smaller trading country with limited leverage and a really weak crap government. I am sure you will delude yourself it was a wonderful deal and there with be "blue birds over" and all that crap.
    I don’t care. A deals a deal and better than no deal madness. So some politicians misunderstood how trade works, and made some crazy promises, once a deal is signed they have cover to quietly row back to a realistic position.

The most annoying thing is how recent weeks have revealed brexiteers end game isn’t a Brexit that is peaceful co existence with EU, they want more. All those people who thought this settles it once and for all, they would never hear word Brexit again let alone have it dominating every news bulletin have been done over. On going friction with EU is going to dominate everything forever now 🙀
  • IanB2 said:

I am ignoring your immature rant but can tell you I listened to Drakeford initially confirm it's advice and this was after PMQs

But you're argument is built on the unenforceability of the law and that its the guidelines that are important
  • TOPPING said:

Have got ex-work colleagues on a WhatsApp group. One asking what he should do. Has bought train tickets for a trip the government made possible (by keeping Kings Cross open for the 5 day window) but is now being told he shouldn't travel.

The law was you can go outside to exercise; the guidance was only exercise once a day.

(Full disclosure: I exercised outside at least three times a day during the first lockdown. Albeit on an Apollo Highway which I'm sure @Dura_Ace would say is not proper exercise, then again at least it wasn't raining, but I digress.)
    I thought that Dura would be fine with the bike with a few* upgrades. Like wheels, crank, brakes, pedals, gears, saddle, handlebars. You know, a few cosmetic changes *giggles*
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    Alistair said:
    One thing we can definitely say about these runoffs is that they’re not dull.
  • IanB2 said:

To be fair it won't
    Thank you

Dont know about you BigG but we have now decided to almost cancel Christmas with the vaccine so close.

Not worth the risk
    To be honest BJO we cancelled our family gathering of 10 weeks ago as the virus took off again in Wales

We agreed my wife and I would have it on our own, while my nearby daughter and family (4) and son and family (4) also have it on their own

TOPPING said:

I thought that Dura would be fine with the bike with a few* upgrades. Like wheels, crank, brakes, pedals, gears, saddle, handlebars. You know, a few cosmetic changes *giggles*
    He would point me to some website where I could get a Crank Chain Capacity Valve for £10,000 to improve the airflow around my ears.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,599
    TOPPING said:

Except in Wales, where once a day was law
  • This is worrying.

"Young adults are dying at historic rates. In research published on Wednesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association, we found that among U.S. adults ages 25 to 44, from March through the end of July, there were almost 12,000 more deaths than were expected based on historical norms.

In fact, July appears to have been the deadliest month among this age group in modern American history. Over the past 20 years, an average of 11,000 young American adults died each July. This year that number swelled to over 16,000."

NY Times
    edited December 2020
    LOL. They want to squeeze the last drop, these "UK government sources", don't they.
  • IanB2 said:

But you're argument is built on the unenforceability of the law and that its the guidelines that are important
    Common sense it more important than anything any politician can tell you
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,021
    Not sure about that, why isn't that case being made already? The only people making the connection to the vaccine news are people like us, the MSM hasn't even thought about it.
  • Re Georgia: Fox has had a recent poll out showing R49, D48 in both races. Could be very tight.
  • tlg86 said:

Not sure about that, why isn't that case being made already? The only people making the connection to the vaccine news are people like us, the MSM hasn't even thought about it.
    Boris and Whitty both said it at the press conference today.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    The rail companies and ticket retailers should be offering free refunds for those who have already bought their tickets for Christmas travel.

But that would be sensible.
    edited December 2020

Re Georgia: Fox has had a recent poll out showing R49, D48 in both races. Could be very tight.

I'm feeling bullish for the Dems here. No bet, though, other than the £12.50 with @HYUFD.
    edited December 2020
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Very true.

Edit: I carried a copy of the legislation around with me (for England) just in case plod noticed me out more than once.
    Our niece and nephew are returning to the UK after 10 months in Australia, just it time for a Christmas get together.

Are we going to see them? Maybe at Easter.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,021

tlg86 said:

But they haven't actually cancelled Christmas, have they? And no one else is looking at the case rate going up post-Lockdown 2 and saying "we need to go back into lockdown."
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

IanB2 said:

These stories only go one way.

1. Mark Drakeford announces A Tough New Rule.

2. A Welsh Govt Minister Organizes a Mahoosive Xmas Party in violation of the Rules (Probably Vaughan Gething -- he has not had a good pandemic).

3. It is Explained the Rules Don't Apply to Some People.
    I am glad I caught you. I enjoyed the intriguing debate between yourself and Ydoethur last evening. Rather enlightening.

I had mistakenly (I believe) pencilled you in as an upright Welsh Conservative. Unless I misread the tealeaves, I couldn't have been more wrong.
    Hello MexicanPete,

I have been accused on pb.com of being a Corbynite and a pb Tory.

But, never before an "upright Conservative", which the urban dictionary tells me is to be on the receiving end of sexual activity. Upright, I mean, not Conservative.

Truth to tell, I am not very enthusiastic about any political party. At the last election in 2019, I could not actually find anyone to vote for & so I sadly abstained.

As it is confession time, perhaps explain what is Mexican about MexicanPete? You enjoy Tequila?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,373
    edited December 2020
    TOPPING said:

RH1992 said:

I suppose in an analogy this Christmas law and advice is similar to a speed limit. Yes, you can legally drive at 60mph on many single track country lanes, but to do so would be extremely risky.

Wooo hold on their buddy....that requires common sense and personal responsibility.... impossible.
    Jesus fucking Christ.

Mr Lock-Everyone-Down-Forever-and-Outlaw-Foreign-Holidays now all of a sudden comes out as Mr Common Sense.
    You seem to totally.misunderstand my position....ban foreign travel is to.stop.reseeding infection, so hopefully (looking at places like Australia) you don't need to lockdown....but when you do.need to.lockdown, you have to do it properly i.e. no fad two week diet stuff. That's the reality of COVID. But within that, I have also been critical of nonsense like stopping people buying non-essential items in stores they are already in.

Re Christmas, I think the government is wrong to have a 5 day window, it should be shorter.

My position from the start is somethings need to be tough, but others you need to a consistent long term risk mitigation strategies, not chopping and changing. All so you don't need to get to emergency handbrake situation of lockdown. But I have also been critical of government bans on activities that are basically zero risk e.g. golf, while thinking having 1000s of people inside screaming and shouting at a boxing event isn't a good idea.

I am also realistic that the government can't legalizate forever and so there also needs to be personal responsibility.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,624
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9060223/Boris-Johnson-says-Christmas-gift-Nicola-Sturgeon-Brexit-fish.html

Boris Johnson today said his Christmas gift to Nicola Sturgeon is the 'hundreds of thousands of tonnes of fish' Scotland will become the 'proud possessor of' in the New Year because of Brexit.

The Prime Minister said he was unaware of whether the Scottish First Minister is a 'keen fish eater'.

But he insisted the UK's departure from the EU and Britain becoming an independent coastal state will mean she has more fish 'than she can possibly consume herself for a very, very long time to come'.

Re Georgia: Fox has had a recent poll out showing R49, D48 in both races. Could be very tight.

It’s obviously going to be differential turnout that decides it.

Given the superb Dem machine that’s been built up in Georgia, you would therefore make them very slight favourites.

But I wouldn’t be risking my mortgage on them.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

But they haven't actually cancelled Christmas, have they? And no one else is looking at the case rate going up post-Lockdown 2 and saying "we need to go back into lockdown."
    Why should they?

Case rates are going up so they've put areas where its going up in Tier 3. That may be enough.

I suspect with a combination of vaccine rollout, Tier 3 and an end to Christmas shopping etc that we will see cases and hospitalisations declining in the New Year without a lockdown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9060223/Boris-Johnson-says-Christmas-gift-Nicola-Sturgeon-Brexit-fish.html

Boris Johnson today said his Christmas gift to Nicola Sturgeon is the 'hundreds of thousands of tonnes of fish' Scotland will become the 'proud possessor of' in the New Year because of Brexit.

The Prime Minister said he was unaware of whether the Scottish First Minister is a 'keen fish eater'.

But he insisted the UK's departure from the EU and Britain becoming an independent coastal state will mean she has more fish 'than she can possibly consume herself for a very, very long time to come'.

Why does he think Sturgeon is obsessed with fish? Is he misreading the significance of her name?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,599
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Very true.

Edit: I carried a copy of the legislation around with me (for England) just in case plod noticed me out more than once.
    I had my dog with me, which was always a free pass.

TOPPING said:

Maybe the frame too?

The bike of Theseus.
  • TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I like being privileged. I enjoy the privileges I have, and I'm excited about the thought of accruing more privileges as I go through life. I don't wish others were less privileged so I could be more privileged - that seems like screwed up logic.

Congratulations on finding a new way of spectacularly missing the point on the issue of white privilege, a significant achievement given the wide range of bone-headed responses we've already seen on this topic here.
    I've said loads on this topic, I feel like a broken record. Bottom line - living in a multiracial household I belive white privilege to be real, I have seen it in action. It is one of many ways (like class or sex) that some groups are treated better than others in ways that are unconnected to their talents or intrinsic worth. To be honest, it surprises me that people find it controversial and put so much effort into proving it doesn't exist, rather than listening to those who say it has affected them and finding ways of making society fairer.
    The idea of white privilege is (afaik) that white people communicating with other white people benefit from a sort of unconscious shortcut of supposed familiarity and approbation. So is the 'solution' to this problem that white people should be more suspicious and disapproving of each other? How would that help society? The problem is not white people being too privileged, it is non-white people not being privileged enough, and therefore the solution does not lie in attacking white privilege, but building non-white privilege. See also every other problem based on 'those people' having 'too much'. That's why white privilege being a problem is an absurdity.
    This is not the idea, no. White Privilege refers to the fact that in Western society by and large a white person may face many challenges and obstacles in life but their skin colour will not be one of them. They quite literally never have to think about it in the way that many others have to all or most or much the time. This is a privilege in the true sense of the word since it is relative to others and is not earned. Its oddity (as a privilege) is that it applies to a majority, which could be why it jars. Speaking personally, I find it a useful and powerful way of looking at the race issue. It brings it home rather keeping it at arms length.
    And given that working class white boys are amongst the lowest educational achievers in society already, what is the remedy for this privilege?
    I've many times given mine. End educational elitism, end the private optout, everyone goes to their local state school, pour resource into underperforming areas, turn Leveling Up into more than a soundbite.

This will do rather more to address the problem than denying the existence of a different problem.
    So selection by house price then. That will help alot...
    End the education system designed to prune out those who don't perform and redesign it to seek to maximize what each student learns.
    The thing is I've been teaching for nearly thirty years now and I have no idea what those phases mean when applied to actual schools and teaching. "Seek to maximise what each student learns" is essentially what I thought I'd been doing all that time.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,378
    "Families across Europe are being urged to wear face masks during Christmas celebrations due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has issued new guidance for the winter holiday season, insisting a rise in gatherings will bring a significant risk of increased coronavirus transmission."

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-families-across-europe-urged-to-wear-face-masks-at-christmas-gatherings-12164339

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

And given that working class white boys are amongst the lowest educational achievers in society already, what is the remedy for this privilege?
    I've many times given mine. End educational elitism, end the private optout, everyone goes to their local state school, pour resource into underperforming areas, turn Leveling Up into more than a soundbite.

This will do rather more to address the problem than denying the existence of a different problem.
    End the education system designed to prune out those who don't perform and redesign it to seek to maximize what each student learns.
    The thing is I've been teaching for nearly thirty years now and I have no idea what those phases mean when applied to actual schools and teaching. "Seek to maximise what each student learns" is essentially what I thought I'd been doing all that time.
    Really? So in trying to break them to the will of the deep state I’ve been doing it wrong?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

He would point me to some website where I could get a Crank Chain Capacity Valve for £10,000 to improve the airflow around my ears.
    Going out in bad weather cancels out all the negative points for riding a dodgy bike.

But by only going in the dry, I'm afraid that doubles your crime against The Rules.

Scottish fish, not British fish. Does Bozo think the same applies to the oil?

Does one detect the opening salvo of his pitch for the Union?

"You can't leave me now I've been out and caught you a whopper."
    Have I missed the announcement of West Yorkshire moving from Tier 3 to Tier 2?
    edited December 2020

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Going out in bad weather cancels out all the negative points for riding a dodgy bike.

But by only going in the dry, I'm afraid that doubles your crime against The Rules.
    *hangs head*

Yes I was aware of that.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,624
    kinabalu said:

"She wants to give away your fish to the EU! She even wants to let Brussels regulate the famous Scottish deep fried Mars bar!"
    I have just been asked whether private lateral flow tests are worthwhile.

BMJ says 50% efficacy, @Stocky's mother's care home said 75%.

Any views?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,902

TOPPING said:

Maybe the frame too?

The bike of Theseus.
    If it is called Apollo, you only get respectability by riding it to the moon.

IanB2 said:

To be fair it won't
    Thank you

Not worth the risk
    To be honest BJO we cancelled our family gathering of 10 weeks ago as the virus took off again in Wales

We agreed my wife and I would have it on our own, while my nearby daughter and family (4) and son and family (4) also have it on their own
    We scaled down but have now cancelled.
  • Drakeford's restrictions to two households seems to be three

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1339247798223597574?s=19
  • kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

You clearly missed the bit about resource allocation.
    No, I didn't. Resources are nice to have, but give me a class of thirty children that want to be there in a damp portacabin and I will teach a much better lesson than I will to a class of ten that don't want to learn in the world's best equipped teaching lab. Parental expectations have probably more influence on learning than any other external influence, and those that are prepared to pay a premium for their children's education are more likely to have positive expectations. It won't take long for the "good" schools to get that reputation and for the house prices in the catchment areas to go up accordingly.
    Alistair said:
    Clearly a woman of the people, having suffered a house price crash. Not one of the elite, no siree.
  • NEW THREAD

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,438
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:
    Clearly a woman of the people, having suffered a house price crash. Not one of the elite, no siree.
    Reminds me of a jaw-on-floor video of a certain politicians kitchen, where she explained that she was getting through lockdown with the assistance of x brand ice cream (lots of dollars a tub). She had quite a selection in the full height freezer. Which was some 5 figure brand....
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,807
    ydoethur said:

It’s obviously going to be differential turnout that decides it.

Given the superb Dem machine that’s been built up in Georgia, you would therefore make them very slight favourites.

But I wouldn’t be risking my mortgage on them.
    Did we hear anything more of bodybag-gate ?

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

No, I didn't. Resources are nice to have, but give me a class of thirty children that want to be there in a damp portacabin and I will teach a much better lesson than I will to a class of ten that don't want to learn in the world's best equipped teaching lab. Parental expectations have probably more influence on learning than any other external influence, and those that are prepared to pay a premium for their children's education are more likely to have positive expectations. It won't take long for the "good" schools to get that reputation and for the house prices in the catchment areas to go up accordingly.
    Often, though, the classes of thirty are overrepresented in the don't want to be there/ low parental expectations stakes.

Foxy said:

Alistair said:
    Reminds me of a jaw-on-floor video of a certain politicians kitchen, where she explained that she was getting through lockdown with the assistance of x brand ice cream (lots of dollars a tub). She had quite a selection in the full height freezer. Which was some 5 figure brand....
    To be fair in America, vulgar displays of wealth are not the vote loser that they would be here. Indeed seen as a marker of success. Don't vote for someone who cannot make themselves money.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,202
    TOPPING said:

Any views?

BMJ 50% study was for self-administered tests whereas the 70% was for tests administered by trained healthcare staff IIRC.
    Phil said:

TOPPING said:

Any views?

BMJ 50% study was for self-administered tests whereas the 70% was for tests administered by trained healthcare staff IIRC.
    Thanks
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,458

kinabalu said:

"She wants to give away your fish to the EU! She even wants to let Brussels regulate the famous Scottish deep fried Mars bar!"
    I'll wait to see how the inshore fishermen cope with the queues at Dover.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,438
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:
    To be fair in America, vulgar displays of wealth are not the vote loser that they would be here. Indeed seen as a marker of success. Don't vote for someone who cannot make themselves money.
    True.

It was startling all the same, I thought, going from a member of the Democratic Party. At a time when the stimulus check thing (first round) was in play.

Scottish fish, not British fish. Does Bozo think the same applies to the oil?
    Fish are devolved - not that oyu would think it from UK (sic) Gmt refusal to involve the Scots in negotiations.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

IanB2 said:

These stories only go one way.

1. Mark Drakeford announces A Tough New Rule.

2. A Welsh Govt Minister Organizes a Mahoosive Xmas Party in violation of the Rules (Probably Vaughan Gething -- he has not had a good pandemic).

3. It is Explained the Rules Don't Apply to Some People.
    I am glad I caught you. I enjoyed the intriguing debate between yourself and Ydoethur last evening. Rather enlightening.

I had mistakenly (I believe) pencilled you in as an upright Welsh Conservative. Unless I misread the tealeaves, I couldn't have been more wrong.
    Hello MexicanPete,

I have been accused on pb.com of being a Corbynite and a pb Tory.

But, never before an "upright Conservative", which the urban dictionary tells me is to be on the receiving end of sexual activity. Upright, I mean, not Conservative.

Truth to tell, I am not very enthusiastic about any political party. At the last election in 2019, I could not actually find anyone to vote for & so I sadly abstained.

As it is confession time, perhaps explain what is Mexican about MexicanPete? You enjoy Tequila?
    So you are not quite the ghost of Gwynfor Evans either then?

Mexicanpete is simply stolen from "Eskimo Nell". It is not a completely random choice, as it uses my Christian name. My real name is Mexican W.....
    edited December 2020
    TOPPING said:

Any views?

No, the BMJ says the sensitivity may be as low as 50% if the tests are poorly carried out. And in the right circumstances, the sensitivity is a lot higher than 75%.

It's fair to say that the more infectious an individual is, the more likely they are to test positive.

They are worthwhile, but are certainly not to be treated as absolutely accurate. They're most useful in testing groups in order to detect and isolate infected individuals; as a guarantee of safety, they are somewhat wanting.
  • Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Just reading an account of the Senate hearing about the election. I was wondering if the Senate has the same standing as a court and therefore perjury laws apply.

In the UK, there are severe penalties for lying to parliament and some of these 'witnesses' seem to be repeating the fraud lies.
    edited December 2020
    This confirms something the administration has been denying for months.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1339259031307886593
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Any views?

No, the BMJ says the sensitivity may be as low as 50% if the tests are poorly carried out. And in the right circumstances, the sensitivity is a lot higher than 75%.

It's fair to say that the more infectious an individual is, the more likely they are to test positive.

They are worthwhile, but are certainly not to be treated as absolutely accurate. They're most useful in testing groups in order to detect and isolate infected individuals; as a guarantee of safety, they are somewhat wanting.
    thanks
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

*hangs head*

Yes I was aware of that.
    I'm almost certain @Dura_Ace can suggest a self-flagellator attachment for the bike.
    Blue_rog said:

Just reading an account of the Senate hearing about the election. I was wondering if the Senate has the same standing as a court and therefore perjury laws apply.

In the UK, there are severe penalties for lying to parliament and some of these 'witnesses' seem to be repeating the fraud lies.

It is illegal to lie to Congress (whether on oath or not), but punishment is fairly rare.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/5-people-who-lied-congress-what-happened-them-n941936
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

*hangs head*

Yes I was aware of that.
    I'm almost certain @Dura_Ace can suggest a self-flagellator attachment for the bike.
    Just tie a string to the rear wheel rim?

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

All agreed except the last sentence which does not follow - and certainly not sufficiently to negate the positives of a more egalitarian system.
  • gealbhan said:

Countdown until CorrectHorseBattery says "capitulation" without even reading any of what has been agreed . . .
    A bad deal will be spun as better than no deal, lol! Of course it is capitulation. It always was going to be. Only a complete thicket (aka Brexiteer) would think otherwise. They are a big trading block, and we are a much smaller trading country with limited leverage and a really weak crap government. I am sure you will delude yourself it was a wonderful deal and there with be "blue birds over" and all that crap.
    I don’t care. A deals a deal and better than no deal madness. So some politicians misunderstood how trade works, and made some crazy promises, once a deal is signed they have cover to quietly row back to a realistic position.

The most annoying thing is how recent weeks have revealed brexiteers end game isn’t a Brexit that is peaceful co existence with EU, they want more. All those people who thought this settles it once and for all, they would never hear word Brexit again let alone have it dominating every news bulletin have been done over. On going friction with EU is going to dominate everything forever now 🙀
    Simply not true (referring to your first sentence). That may be the aim of a small vocal minority but is not the aim of the majority of Brexiteers. Many on here who voted Leave have been pushing hard for a deal and would have accepted many of the deals offered to date. I am not sure yet that this latest one is any better than any of the previous versions which means that Johnson and the ERG have squandered a huge amount of good will for nothing.
This discussion has been closed.