Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

YouGov polling carried out today finds CON voters the most bullish about a deal but still only 23% –

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited December 2020 in General
imageYouGov polling carried out today finds CON voters the most bullish about a deal but still only 23% – politicalbetting.com

Betting chart from the Smarkets exchange 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2020
    First out of the EU into the wilderness of Brexit...
  • Options
    What a great deal we got from the EU
  • Options
    That is my "cake and eat it" manoeuvre, so I should be right no matter how it turns out
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    edited December 2020

To lose all that for a few mackerel fillets nobody was eating or will be able to export.
  • Options
    The notion that the masses will rally behind No Deal is preposterous - like thinking they'd have rallied behind Black Wednesday. Boris knows this. He also knows that a deal will be his Falklands moment. That's why the outcome isn't really in doubt.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    It's still possible, maybe even likely, that BoZo is stupid enough to walk away, but Brexiteers have to ask themselves, if that is the play, what is he waiting for?

He has had several self-imposed deadlines, and missed them all.

Is he frit?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    What is the point of this polling?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It's still possible, maybe even likely, that BoZo is stupid enough to walk away, but Brexiteers have to ask themselves, if that is the play, what is he waiting for?

Is he frit?

Hoping for a miracle.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

To lose all that for a few mackerel fillets nobody was eating or will be able to export.
    Meanwhile, in NutJob Central, the Pure Ones are getting ready to knife Boris if he caves in and comes back with a Deal

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1370807/brexit-news-boris-johnson-rupert-lowe-iain-duncan-smith-john-redwood-erg-trade-deal
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    One does wonder why London isn't already in Tier 3. Seriously, if the pandemic has taught us anything it's that "move fast and break things" is better than "Move slowly and break things later".
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    OnboardG1 said:

One does wonder why London isn't already in Tier 3. Seriously, if the pandemic has taught us anything it's that "move fast and break things" is better than "Move slowly and break things later".

@OnboardG1 regarding your comment on the last thread, I don't live in Wales.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Boris, quite rightly, will hang on till the very last so that he can squeeze out all he can. He also knows that the more tense it gets, the more congratulations he'll receive in the ensuing orgasm of relief. Boris's Falklands moment is nigh - he just has to count the hours.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Lucky you.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Huh for some reason I thought you did. And it's not just the name. Well, maybe Hancock is finally acknowledging that the plague is spreading in school settings.

Speaking of which, hope you've survived unscathed thus far.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Lucky you.
    Oi!

Just because we beat you at rugby more often than you can deal with...
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Huh for some reason I thought you did. And it's not just the name. Well, maybe Hancock is finally acknowledging that the plague is spreading in school settings.

Just about. Don't know how given the safety regs are not even a joke, just a shambles.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

That's a good question. The explanation might simply be that he's dithering.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Boris, quite rightly, will hang on till the very last so that he can squeeze out all he can. He also knows that the more tense it gets, the more congratulations he'll receive in the ensuing orgasm of relief. Boris's Falklands moment is nigh - he just has to count the hours.
    Yes.

And he will be General Galtieri.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Just about. Don't know how given the safety regs are not even a joke, just a shambles.
    Glad to hear it. Hope your Christmas break is restful at least. I'm still annoyed that the SNP didn't extend the Christmas holidays up here. It was a good idea and an extra week and a bit is going to do fuck all to affect education given how screwy this year has been.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Or that he lacks the ability to make a decision. Somebody hand him a 50p piece (it has a known decision making ability)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

You are Sir Humphrey Appleby and I claim my £5
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

No, he'll be The General Belgrano.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1337087658435211267

Some meaty stuff (if you pardon the pun) in that thread. The British Sausage in NI gets a 6-month reprieve.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

His hunch was always that if we just show the EU that we're 'serious', then they will suddenly bend to our will. He can't admit that he'd got this wrong without admitting that he published the wrong article and backed the wrong horse back in 2016.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

The notion that the masses will rally behind No Deal is preposterous - like thinking they'd have rallied behind Black Wednesday. Boris knows this. He also knows that a deal will be his Falklands moment. That's why the outcome isn't really in doubt.
    No Deal will be his Black Wednesday moment. An economic screw up centred on Europe. People who say that the EU will be blamed for the massive disruption caused by No Deal and rally round the flag forget 1992. The Tories ultimately suffered for it and the more pro-EU party, with half a mind to join the nacent Euro at some point, got in at the next election with a massive majority. People just don't think of this as a war.
  • Options
    For those who have been thinking Nick Gibb isn't the most useless idiot ever to meddle with education (in a field of stiff competition):

https://www.tes.com/news/teachers-scorn-over-plan-cancel-18th-dec-classes
  • Options
    Someone asked Hancock about his mate from round the corner getting a contract after a whatsapp message. He doesn't look comfortable.

https://pasteboard.co/JEj97Ke.png
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    edited December 2020
    Carnyx said:

My reasons for voting leave were not fish based

Back in 2016 it seemed barely possible we would be left with the 2 worst Brexit outcomes. Neither of which are acceptable
  • Options

Twitter having a great time

twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1337068146293956614/photo/1

twitter.com/Keynesianism/status/1336999359439892481

:D:D:D:D That is bl**dy brilliant.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

Well, he will definitely have a sinking feeling...
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Glad to hear it. Hope your Christmas break is restful at least. I'm still annoyed that the SNP didn't extend the Christmas holidays up here. It was a good idea and an extra week and a bit is going to do fuck all to affect education given how screwy this year has been.
    Given they've now cancelled exams anyway, it's not as though there's any meaningful education reason to keep them open.

GCSEs will go the same way in England, probably far too late to come up with meaningful alternatives.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Just to put into context the UK has signed third party trade deals with 28 parties worth around £150-160bn in existing trade. Last year before Liz Truss took over it was basically zero. She's done a fantastic job.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Twitter. The home of really sophisticated humour......

By twats. For twats.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Back in 2016 it seemed barely possible we would be left with the 2 worst Brexit outcomes. Neither of which are acceptable
    You should have listened to Dave (pbuh) and George (pbuh).
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Well, it seemed fairly obvious to me, and I'm no starry-eyed Europhile.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Just to put into context the UK has signed third party trade deals with 28 parties worth around £150-160bn in existing trade. Last year before Liz Truss took over it was basically zero. She's done a fantastic job.

Yes, she's done well.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes, she's done well.
    Among others...
  • Options
    Lewis Hamilton to race on Sunday.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

That's my take too. I'm pretty certain of it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

Interesting factoid I found out recently. The General Belgrano was, prior to purchase by Argentina, the USS Pheonix and survived Pearl Harbor. I'm sure all you sophisticates knew this already but it was news to me.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Strewth. Press talking about Third Wave. It's the Second Wave moving South.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

Interesting factoid I found out recently. The General Belgrano was, prior to purchase by Argentina, the USS Pheonix and survived Pearl Harbor. I'm sure all you sophisticates knew this already but it was news to me.

So it was originally an American, sold out to a foreign country and caused chaos...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, she's done well.
    Among others...
    Gove and Truss have been the MVPs of this process. I don't like Truss (far too "deregulate everything" for me) but she hasn't done badly. Gove has done a genuinely good job with the NI protocol because, unlike his boss, he knows how fragile the union is. There was some chat he'd quite like to kill the entire Internal Market Bill to avoid handing the SNP yet another round of ammunition in the event of no deal.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

So it was originally an American, sold out to a foreign country and caused chaos...
    Then plumbed new depths? :wink:
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

Ran into danger and got torpedoed by something it should have seen coming.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, she's done well.
    Among others...
    Gove and Truss have been the MVPs of this process. I don't like Truss (far too "deregulate everything" for me) but she hasn't done badly. Gove has done a genuinely good job with the NI protocol because, unlike his boss, he knows how fragile the union is. There was some chat he'd quite like to kill the entire Internal Market Bill to avoid handing the SNP yet another round of ammunition in the event of no deal.
    The joke was an implication that she has done everyone else.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067

Or that he lacks the ability to make a decision. Somebody hand him a 50p piece (it has a known decision making ability)

I purchased a Shakespeare decision coin at a Christmas market last year.

To be...

Not to be...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, she's done well.
    Among others...
    Ah. Wasn't that in Williamson's little black book that got leaked?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Scott_xP said:
    The chairman of EMS Healthcare, who has been a director of the company since 2013, is Iain Johnston – a former business partner of Shirley and Robert Carter, Hancock’s mother and stepfather.

That is quite a connection.
  • Options
    4 or 5 days to presumed settlement once the Electoral College does its thing on Monday.
    Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.05
    Democrats 1.05
    Biden PV 1.02
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.04
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.04
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.07
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.07
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.05
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.06
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 1.01

AZ Dem 1.05
    GA Dem 1.05
    MI Dem 1.05
    NV Dem 1.04
    PA Dem 1.05
    WI Dem 1.05

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.12
    Trump exit date 2021 1.09
  • Options
    A tad harsh Big G. UvdL despite her limited role and personal restrictions will find fulfilment one day.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, she's done well.
    Among others...
    It may have been, but I don't think we needed a book!

Famously the first minister of agriculture to be ploughed by a Field.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Someone asked Hancock about his mate from round the corner getting a contract after a whatsapp message. He doesn't look comfortable.

https://pasteboard.co/JEj97Ke.png

To be fair unlike most of the rest of the cabinet he is quite new to the shameless lying and kleptocracy angle. Give him time and I reckon he can at least reach the Shapps level.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    The cronyism is brazen, appalling and unending now, and Hancock for some reason seems to keep popping up in it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

A tad harsh Big G. UvdL despite her limited role and personal restrictions will find fulfilment one day.
    I was referring to those who tweet such schoolboy rubbish

UVDL is a huge improvement on Junckers
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Of course he is. (Ancient example: when he ran away from the 2016 Leadership Election because it wasn't a shoe-in.)

But also: Boris's deal promises to be a bit rubbish (what with the whole not-trying-for-services-access-at-all, and not-enough-people-in-booths-at-ports things). If a deal tuns out rubbish, it's nobody's fault but his. If no deal turns out rubbish, he can blame those damn foreigners.

He's a terrible politician and person, but has a definite cunning for sensing this sort of thing.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

To be...

Not to be...
    I bought a pencil of Shakespeare's once, but I still don't know what type it is.

It's 2B or not 2B.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, she's done well.
    Among others...
    It may have been, but I don't think we needed a book!

Famously the first minister of agriculture to be ploughed by a Field.
    Well that's an image I didn't need.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

She'd have had to work damn hard to be worse.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

Carnyx said:

Stunningly bad foresight.

Anyone with half a brain could have told you it would be a clusterfuck. Indeed many on here did just that.

Oh but this is not the "true" Brexit, right? Like "proper" socialism hasn't been tried.
  • Options
    BoJo: Strong possibility of No Deal

Brexit: 'Strong possibility' of no trade deal with EU - PM https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55266678
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Of course he is. (Ancient example: when he ran away from the 2016 Leadership Election because it wasn't a shoe-in.)

But also: Boris's deal promises to be a bit rubbish (what with the whole not-trying-for-services-access-at-all, and not-enough-people-in-booths-at-ports things). If a deal tuns out rubbish, it's nobody's fault but his. If no deal turns out rubbish, he can blame those damn foreigners.

He's a terrible politician and person, but has a definite cunning for sensing this sort of thing.
    You may consider him to be a terrible administrator. But he's evidently not a terrible politician, having won London twice, spearheading victory in a supposedly unwinnable referendum and then securing an 80 seat majority as PM.

You say he was fit in 2016 but maybe he's just very good at reading the runes? Had he run in 2016 and lost would he ever have become PM?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

Stunningly bad foresight.

Anyone with half a brain could have told you it would be a clusterfuck. Indeed many on here did just that.

Oh but this is not the "true" Brexit, right? Like "proper" socialism hasn't been tried.
    That he didn’t see this coming is most definitely fishy.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185

That is my "cake and eat it" manoeuvre, so I should be right no matter how it turns out

Having one's cake and eating it is impossible: one who has eaten a cake, of necessity no long has that cake.
    Johnson, you see, can do more than merely contradict himself about some matter of fact. So you fail to credit him with being the most accomplished liar in public life (as Rory Stewart put it: "a lifetime of practice and study has allowed Johnson to uncover new possibilities which go well beyond all the classifications of dishonesty attempted by classical theorists like St Augustine.")
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

You may consider him to be a terrible administrator. But he's evidently not a terrible politician, having won London twice, spearheading victory in a supposedly unwinnable referendum and then securing an 80 seat majority as PM.

You say he was fit in 2016 but maybe he's just very good at reading the runes? Had he run in 2016 and lost would he ever have become PM?
    The evidence points to him being a great campaigner but a terrible administrator. But one also has to look at the quality of his opponents. Livingstone in the early days of his Hitler obsession and Corbyn.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Says the guy who compared the Welsh circuit break to the Stasi.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Of course, it always helps to be compared to Liam Fox.
    Yes, definitely. It just goes to show how useless he was. Hopefully the government are serious about the CPTPP. Someone at work suggested that the UK look into associate membership of NAFTA or whatever it's called these days as it might be less onerous than a direct US trade deal and would be compatible with having independent trade deals too.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    OnboardG1 said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

To be fair a submarine is one thing it shouldn't have seen coming.
  • Options
    More of those sunny uplands hoving into view:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1337094978011533312
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,521
    edited December 2020
    moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

To clarify: most of the time, being good at elections works as a signal that a party is set to be good at governing. Johnson (I think intuitively) and Cummings (I think more deliberately) hacked that process. Great at winning elections, but utterly hopeless at doing anything with that win.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes, she's done well.
    Credit to you for saying that.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

Why? Surely it had sonar?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

There were three ships, present at Pearl Harbour, that survived till recent times - A tug, a coast guard cutter and the Belgrano.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Of course, it always helps to be compared to Liam Fox.
    Please!

It's the disgraced national security risk Liam Fox.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The Welsh Government is a complete disaster and has today bowed to the unions closing all secondary schools with no notice to working parents

And it does not alter the schoolboy rubbish of those tweets
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    Voters by 61% to 26% think the UK is not prepared for No Deal, though Tory voters by 53% to 40% and Leave voters by 47% to 42% think we are

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1337083285802016776?s=20
  • Options
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

The Welsh Government is a complete disaster and has today bowed to the unions closing all secondary schools with no notice to working parents

It's a classic example of the right decision at the wrong time. If we don't want a train wreck on our hands in January, we need to get the case rate among teenagers in particular under control before Christmas itself, and shutting schools is the best way to do it.

But that was a decision that needed to be taken a month ago and properly planned and communicated. Taking it now merely makes life more difficult.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

I'll leave dura_ace for the definitive answer but i dont think subs are that easy to spot even with sonar.
  • Options
    alednam said:

Having one's cake and eating it is impossible: one who has eaten a cake, of necessity no long has that cake.
    Johnson, you see, can do more than merely contradict himself about some matter of fact. So you fail to credit him with being the most accomplished liar in public life (as Rory Stewart put it: "a lifetime of practice and study has allowed Johnson to uncover new possibilities which go well beyond all the classifications of dishonesty attempted by classical theorists like St Augustine.")
    Ah. buit he invented Schroedinger's cake. It's eaten and on the plate at the same time.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    HYUFD said:

Voters by 61% to 26% think the UK is not prepared for No Deal, though Tory voters by 53% to 40% and Leave voters by 47% to 42% think we are

How would all these pensioners have the slightest clue?
  • Options
    Johnson is "prepared to travel to Paris or Berlin for talks". He's still stuck in David Davis 2016 mode.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I don't doubt you.

What worries me is that our immediate, contingent, reason for leaving will be pescatorial.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

How would all these pensioners have the slightest clue?
    What an insulting ignorant comment
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

Since you're about, I need to pick your brain.

I'm trying to come up with the most famous/memorable cuckolded man in history.

The entry requirement for this is that the cuckolded chap has had to pretend a child really is his

So I'm thinking Robert Boothby/Harold MacMillan, but can you (and other PBers) come up with anyone better?

Anyone who suggests Saint Joseph is a naughty tinker, as I'm limiting this to real people.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No Deal now isn't anywhere as bad as it would have been last year.

We have a lot more continuity trade thanks to Truss, we have sorted the Irish border and we have prepared for No Deal with all the customs site at least at basic levels of construction.

It's almost just the EU breakdown to consider and many businesses (far from all) have prepared for that all along.

For clarity I'd still prefer a deal, but not at any price.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's a classic example of the right decision at the wrong time. If we don't want a train wreck on our hands in January, we need to get the case rate among teenagers in particular under control before Christmas itself, and shutting schools is the best way to do it.

But that was a decision a month ago and properly planned and communicated. Taking it now merely makes life more difficult.
    And it is only for 5 days next week

Notice from Granddaughter's school
  • Options

More of those sunny uplands hoving into view:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1337094978011533312

So we'll do our business elsewhere and they won't get the benefit of our services.

Their loss.
  • Options

Johnson is "prepared to travel to Paris or Berlin for talks". He's still stuck in David Davis 2016 mode.

Why?

We keep getting told UVDL lacks the mandate to negotiate only the Commission (Macron, Merkel etc) can change the mandate - but don't talk to the Commission.

How does that make any sense? You need to negotiate with the decision makers not the monkeys.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

To be...

Not to be...
    I bought a pencil of Shakespeare's once, but I still don't know what type it is.

It's 2B or not 2B.
    Christmas Shakespeare quiz for you.

Which five plays do these represent?

6"
    9"
    12"
    Wet
    Dry

And here's one by George Bernard Shaw....

0 0
    0 0 0

Googling won't help you.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

I'll leave dura_ace for the definitive answer but i dont think subs are that easy to spot even with sonar.
    Also depends if the cruiser was using active sonar or not. The former does rather tell everyone for miles and miles where you are. But the escorting destroyers should have dealt with that side anyway.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

Sad to hear of the death of Paolo Rossi. He was a key part of what I still regard as the greatest game of football I have ever seen - the 1982 World Cup Quarter-Final between Italy and Brazil which the Italians won 3-2.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

I've no doubt that is his thinking. However the arrival of Covid-19 within our borders was something noone expected and most governments have been caught flat-footed at. His approval ratings at dealing with it are, nevertheless, abysmal. He's been working for this moment for nearly five years and has failed to reach a deal. Why would the voters give him more credit for his handling of the ever present EU than it has for the very unexpected virus.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

To clarify: most of the time, being good at elections works as a signal that a party is set to be good at governing. Johnson (I think intuitively) and Cummings (I think more deliberately) hacked that process. Great at winning elections, but utterly hopeless at doing anything with that win.
    I mean listen, I'd have done a lot differently with respect to covid in particular and have been pretty outraged at some of what they've done or failed to do. But we are a hair's breadth under a single year of the PM having a majority behind him. I think it would be churlish to mark the government's scorecard today.

Most Western countries have been an absolute clusterfunk with respect to covid policy. And the key issue he was elected to do was enact Brexit. We won't now how that's going to fully shake out for perhaps a year or two. Likewise the economic impact of covid, where the biggest test is still to come - executing the vaccine programme and ignoring the scientific advisors and aggressively dropping all mandated restrictions once the most vulnerable have been jabbed.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But that was a decision a month ago and properly planned and communicated. Taking it now merely makes life more difficult.
    With the extra catpoo on the cupcake that the decision is, in practice, being taken in a piecemeal and no-notice way anyway.

Due to outbreaks in bubbles, one on mine is at a school where 2 year groups out of 7 are in self-isolation and the other is at a school where 3 out of 7 are similarly out.

Mine are still at school, but if either of them gets a self-isolation ticket next week, then Christmas is off, isn't it?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

The entry requirement for this is that the cuckolded chap has had to pretend a child really is his

So I'm thinking Robert Boothby/Harold MacMillan, but can you (and other PBers) come up with anyone better?

Anyone who suggests Saint Joseph is a naughty tinker, as I'm limiting this to real people.
    Earl of Castlemaine/Charles II Stuart?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he frit?

Yes.

I'm thinking of the husband of Nelson's mistress, Lady Hamilton, but am not sure of the details. [Is anybody?]
This discussion has been closed.