Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Overloading the EU juggernaut – how far can enlargement go?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited December 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Overloading the EU juggernaut – how far can enlargement go?

When Charles de Gaulle spoke of a Europe from the Atlantic to the Urals, he was promoting an alternative vision of the continent to the ‘ever closer union’ of the EEC: one which spanned economic systems and didn’t impinge on national interests as the EEC did (and which in his mind was incompatible with France’s position as a great power).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    I was a supporter of Britain joining the original EU and indeed was one of the foot soldiers of the Yes movement in the Referendum.
    However I never envisaged anything other than a Western European Union; a union of those with Germanic or Romance languages and consequent traditions; something like, geographically, a secular successor to the Holy Roman Empire plus a Britain which had by then been largely shorn of it's Empire trading links (with the exception of New Zealand dairy products!).

I really feel enlargement has gone too far too fast and the EU has, in it's pursuit of continent wide free trade and movement, neglected the necessity of establishing proper, and popularly understood and accepted, democratic structures.

I'll still vote to stray in if we ever have another referendum, though.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Machiavelli wrote in The DIscourses (I think) that a federation of republics could only be around 4-6 in number before, necessarily, the divergent interests of the member nations with one another and quite probably the federation itself reduced the federation to absurdity.

The EU as it stands is not merely failing to work, it's incapable of ever doing so. The eurozone's creation remains an act of insanity. Now the eurozone is holding a wolf by the ears: it can't hold on and it can't let go. If the eurozone disappeared certain countries would see their living standards decline immensely and their debt levels sore as their individual currencies, without the strong Deutsch-Euro element, weakened rapidly on the markets. If the eurozone remains then the structural problems cannot be overcome, and when it finally does break up the pain will be even worse. In a few decades, perhaps less, we'll see mass civil protest, violence, and perhaps even war on the fringes.

The EU, meanly, is hell-bent on empire-building for the sake of it. I can well imagine someone from a small and poor country, or from a nation with no sense of identity (yes, Belgium, you) feeling that being a European was a sort of national identity too. But that is not true for the major powers, for Britain and France (the oldest countries in Europe, if we grandfather in England) and Germany, as well as Italy and Spain.

The lack of transparency, democracy, accountability (quite literally, given the numerous consecutive auditing failures) speaks well of the EU's nature. It's a cabal of bureaucrats and shysters, a gravy train for cretins with a fantasy for rebuilding the Roman Empire but who lack the wit to realise that Rome's greatness involved the point of a sword and minimal local interference. When the sword failed and barbarians arose the empire fell.

Now the eurozone is failing. Closer integration will be attempted, and it will ultimately fail.

However, Mr. Herdson does raise a very interesting point regarding Ukraine and Bulgaria. My guess would be once they (and perhaps Turkey) either join or are given a permanent Nein we'll see the EU eunuchs plotting to try and rapidly increase the practical powers of the EU, particularly regarding taxation and military force.

Bit sleepy, so apologies if the above is rambly and typo-ridden.
  • Options
    On topic, clearly not much specific enlargement action for a while which is why despite supporting it since forever and apparently being supportive behind closed doors, Cameron has started being publicly hostile to it. Maybe he'll take a bold stand against the 22nd Century next.

But the institutions can now handle more members, and Enhanced Cooperation reduces the need for more treaties, apart from the accession ones. Ukraine will join if and when they really want to, if they ever do. Not sure about Turkey, as France has cultural issues and Greece has long-standing grudges, and Turkey probably doesn't need it as much.
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, might Germany not also be wary (and weary) of immer mehr Gastarbeiter?

[For my German A-level coursework I wrote a diary of a Turkish worker in Kreuzberg, a district of Berlin which, at the time, had the third largest number of Turks at any one place in the world].
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The Lib Dems losing their sole Scottish MEP to Labour or the SNP is pretty much a certainty.

Holding it is unlikely, but possible.

UKIP winning it is profoundly unlikely, but within the realms of possibility.

But "might lose their seat to the greens or the tories" is just plain daft.

Well Stuart we shall see but the last time out Labour got 2 seats on 229K and the tories got one on 186K. For Labour to win the third seat they would need to get more than 3x the tory vote and that is just not going to happen.

The SNP got 2 seats on 321K so they are in a much better starting point to reach the 3x but it is still a stretch. For the tories to win the seat they need to get twice the Lib Dem (prev 127K) or Green (last time on 80K) or UKIP (last time 57K). I think that is possible, indeed likely. The tories got more than 2x either the Greens or UKIP the last time.

So if the Lib Dem vote gotes down from 127K to, say, 80K, who picks up the extra seat? On the last figures the tory does. Of course the tories may not do as well or Labour may recover substantially from what was a poor performance for them but I think the tories are the favourties. If 10K of the Lib Dems went green then getting twice their vote may be a stretch for the tories and if they got 15K it would probably be impossible. The high point for the greens may have passed but that also strikes me as far from impossible.

So I really don't agree that Labour or the SNP are going to get the additional seat. The Lib dems hanging on seems most likely but if they don't the tories must be favourites to pick it up.

Sorry David, that's just wrong.

If the results were SNP 321k, Lab 229k, Con 186k, LD 80k, Others less, the sixth seat would go to the SNP (321/3 is greater than 186/2).

In any case, the Tory vote is highly likely to be down on 2009 given the developments since then (though I suspect that it won't be down by all that much) and the numbers for 2009 do give the lie to the oft-made claim that the Tories are non-existent north of the border; it's just that the blue vote is inefficiently concentrated.
    Yes you are right. I have made a mistake in applying the system. Thanks for the correction.

DavidL, thank you for having the good grace to admit your error. Your reputation remains intact. David Herdson, thank you for explaining it to him.

All that remains is explaining for OldNat why the Greens gaining the SLD MEP is even less likely than Lab gain, SNP gain, SLD hold or UKIP gain. The only thing Grn gain beats in terms of lilelihood is Con gain, and that ain't saying much.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    A very good article, thanks David.

In the case of Turkey, two factors make it less likely for them to join than was the case just five years ago. One is internal to the country, the other external.

1) As the Eurozone has been plunged into crisis, Turkey's economy has been doing much better - a steep plunge in GDP in 2009 was followed by an equally large increase. Why would they want to constrain themselves by joining the EU?

2) The ruling party, the AKP, is turning out to be more than moderate Islamist. The more Islamist Turkey's government becomes, the less likely it is for certain countries to allow them into the EU.

To put it bluntly: what would Turkey gain from joining the modern EU?
  • Options
    I cannot see Turkey ever being allowed to join the EU. The Germans and the Greeks just will not allow it. I cannot see any problem anyway. David Herdson argues that excluding Turkey will push them back into the Middle Eastern sphere of influence, which poses the question: so what? It'd do the Middle East a lot of good to have a less daft member of their club. If Turkey joins, then it looks likely that the EU will need to admit several Middle Eastern and North African states too, which in EU-accession terms would make Egypt the new Turkey.
  • Options

I was a supporter of Britain joining the original EU and indeed was one of the foot soldiers of the Yes movement in the Referendum.
    However I never envisaged anything other than a Western European Union; a union of those with Germanic or Romance languages and consequent traditions; something like, geographically, a secular successor to the Holy Roman Empire plus a Britain which had by then been largely shorn of it's Empire trading links (with the exception of New Zealand dairy products!).

I really feel enlargement has gone too far too fast and the EU has, in it's pursuit of continent wide free trade and movement, neglected the necessity of establishing proper, and popularly understood and accepted, democratic structures.

Why?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    OKC,

I think most people in 1975 expected that they were voting for a European trading community and little else. Not the massive political group it has become.

But onto more important matters - the cricket.

Successful sportsmen seem to routinely get honours. Could we award a few un-honours to some of this bunch. An OTC? The Order of the Chicken, for instance.
  • Options
    If this is approached as an either/or problem, it is insoluble. But it is not an either/or problem. There's a big difference between freedom of trade and freedom of movement of persons. And neither of these freedoms has to be granted in full immediately. If the EU were seen less as a club and more as a process, it would be more healthy for most of the potential accession countries, and quite a few of those that are already members.

As a matter of EU security, further engagement with neighbouring countries is highly desirable. The EU has one neighbour, Belarus, which is by any measure a dictatorship and another, Russia, which is not far off. It has a third, Ukraine, which is unstable and in which (like it or not) the EU is an essential player.

The EU's soft power has much to do to help in Ukraine and Turkey, and elsewhere (as the western Balkans quietly show). The EU may not be very popular on British political websites, but compared with the alternative ideologies on offer in those areas, it's pretty damn good.

Finally, there has been no consideration about what's needed for stimulating the moribund EU economy. Turkey is a highly dynamic economy of 80 million people. We are pushing it away because it's complicated.

It's always easier to turn inwards than to look out. When you look out, it gets messy and complicated. But looking out is how the EU and its member states are ultimately going to return to their path of prosperity.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited December 2013
    Interesting article, thanks David. I'm gradually working my way through Churchill's history of WWII (yes, a bit "why I was right" in parts, but interesting all the same), and in passing he mentions that he hopes to see a full United States of Europe, with particular stress on free movement of people throughout the Continent. Like many of the period, he was of course influenced by the horrors of what national separation and rivalry had produced, and that's not such an issue now (except in Ukraine and the Balkans).

As probably the strongestt Europhile on pb, I agree there's a problem - having more big members will push the further away from integration and more towards a basic trading community with not much more. But like antifrank I think that multi-speed urope is the answer - let them join the Single Market for a start, and then let's take it a step at a time.

Incidentally, does anyone talk about Ukraine splitting? Unlike most splits, the case for it seems very strong. It's obvious that the western half is sincerely keen on joining Europe, and the Eastern half is sincerely keen on joining Russia, both for strong cultural and ethnic reasons. A solution of a plebiscite by region seems reasonable, and it's the way Schleswig-Holstein was eventually solved as a problem. Treating it as a zero-sum game where one side triumphs over the other (as both sides there seem to do) is nuts.

By the way, Germany is AFAIK in favour of Turkish membership. It's France that is strongly opposed.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

I was a supporter.....

Poetry.
  • Options
    Best bet of the weekend for me is Ipswich DNB at Bournemouth tomorrow at 1.97

They haven't lost away since September and the only games they have lost are at Wigan, QPR and Reading. Much as I admire Eddie Howe Bournemouth are not at that level, have already lost five at home and will be missing the influential Harry Arter.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Very thought provoking for a Saturday morning David. Personally I think they will need to devise a "Class B" EU membership for countries like Turkey, Ukraine, Belarus, Israel and maybe even Russia itself one day.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Incredible to think that in 9 months time we could be discussing (or not) on here how many years it might take Scotland to join the EU. I subscribe to the view that Spain and some others will block the automatic accession by Scotland post 2016 and Scotland will follow Norway in being outside the club but required to sign up for its rules in order to secure EEA trading rights. By then it will be too late for the Scottish people to have a rethink.
  • Options
    Mr. Easterross, it'd be ironic if the more pro-EU Scots were outside the EU and the more sceptical English were in it.

Russia will never join. Perhaps they no longer see themselves as the Third Rome, but being a mere member of the EU would be at odds with its sense of identity (I suspect).
  • Options

Mr. Tokyo, might Germany not also be wary (and weary) of immer mehr Gastarbeiter?

[For my German A-level coursework I wrote a diary of a Turkish worker in Kreuzberg, a district of Berlin which, at the time, had the third largest number of Turks at any one place in the world].

From Turkey? Possibly, although they're doing pretty well out of it. But I'd imagine there would be other countries that would be harder sells, and it only takes one veto out of 28 to kill it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Incredible to think that in 9 months time we could be discussing (or not) on here how many years it might take Scotland to join the EU. I subscribe to the view that Spain and some others will block the automatic accession by Scotland post 2016 and Scotland will follow Norway in being outside the club but required to sign up for its rules in order to secure EEA trading rights. By then it will be too late for the Scottish people to have a rethink.

Easterross, fear not the EU will make it very easy and quick, it is in their interests to have Scotland in and Spain have already clearly stated they will not veto if Westminster recognise independence.
    José Manuel García-Margallo, the Spanish foreign minister, “Spain does not work on hypotheses. What I do say is that the attitude of the United Kingdom would be the determining factor at the time of deciding our vote.”
    Spain's beef has always been making sure that it did not give Catalonia any space to claim similar.
  • Options
    My 6/1 on Malky Mackay next West Brom manager is looking good and I have layed it back, hopefully it will make up for the Spurs debacle.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Easterross, fear not the EU will make it very easy and quick, it is in their interests to have Scotland in and Spain have already clearly stated they will not veto if Westminster recognise independence.
    José Manuel García-Margallo, the Spanish foreign minister, “Spain does not work on hypotheses. What I do say is that the attitude of the United Kingdom would be the determining factor at the time of deciding our vote.”
    Spain's beef has always been making sure that it did not give Catalonia any space to claim similar.
    We could play quote-swaps all day, but the most obvious flaw in your rhetoric above is:

The EU never makes anything easy or quick.
  • Options
    Of course Cyprus is part of Asia. Let us not ignore the "progressive" Lavalites who, whilst condemning "wahscism" re-define history and geography to fit their "world-view".

Let's begone with the wastrels: If a Turk is a lesser European than a Slav then the ideal [sought by EU-philes] is misted by bigotry, religious-hatred and ignorance. Let's get rid of the EU and Scotland before England is damaged by such misguided hatred....
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

I cannot see Turkey ever being allowed to join the EU. The Germans and the Greeks just will not allow it. I cannot see any problem anyway. David Herdson argues that excluding Turkey will push them back into the Middle Eastern sphere of influence, which poses the question: so what? It'd do the Middle East a lot of good to have a less daft member of their club. If Turkey joins, then it looks likely that the EU will need to admit several Middle Eastern and North African states too, which in EU-accession terms would make Egypt the new Turkey.

I think that you are wrong about Germany, Stuart. Germany, with a large Turkish immigrant population will quickly agree to Turkey becoming a full member of the EU. It's the Greeks that will oppose, supported by France.

However both Turkey and the Ukraine are undergoing violent upheavals at the moment and the picture may be totally changed in a few weeks or months.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856
    If I was a Turk, I'd prefer to stay out of the EU. My economy is doing well enough as it is, and I wouldn't welcome the sacrifice of national independence that joining entails. Were I a Ukrainian, I'd find it hard to choose.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I think that you are wrong about Germany, Stuart. Germany, with a large Turkish immigrant population will quickly agree to Turkey becoming a full member of the EU. It's the Greeks that will oppose, supported by France.

However both Turkey and the Ukraine are undergoing violent upheavals at the moment and the picture may be totally changed in a few weeks or months.
    I think you are wrong about Germany - there is a great deal of racism towards the immigrant Turks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Turkism#Germany
    http://www.dw.de/german-turkish-politician-injured-in-racist-attack/a-2027025-1

Below is an interesting essay on being Turkish in Germany. I think some children of immigrants in the UK could write similar stories...
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/essay-on-racism-growing-up-turkish-in-germany-a-932154.html
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Before we get to Turkey and Ukraine, there are a few Balkan countries ready to join. Montenegro, Sebia, Bosnia, FYROM, Albania and Kosovo. The last of these have large european muslim (as opposed to migrant) populations.

Turkey though is different in size, and in geography. While Istanbul is quite european in orientation the east is much less so. We would have a border with Syria and Iraq. Politics in Turkey is becoming less pro-EU, and also the lack of tolerance to religious minorities is a bar. EU membership may also mean a much more diverse Anatolia as parts of the coast become German, British or even Greek enclaves again. Free movement of peoples works both ways.

I would quite like Ukraine to join, the western bits of old Austria Hungarian Galicia are very european in outlook, and in time I would like Russia to join. I was discussing this with a Russian recently. She felt it certain that Ukraine would join, it was just a question of whether it was 10 years away or thirty.
  • Options

Mr. Easterross, it'd be ironic if the more pro-EU Scots were outside the EU and the more sceptical English were in it.

Russia will never join. Perhaps they no longer see themselves as the Third Rome, but being a mere member of the EU would be at odds with its sense of identity (I suspect).

That would have been true of France and the UK too. However, Russia is in a very different category and if it were to join, it'd be several decades down the road - assuming the EU itself lasts that long.

One point I didn't follow up on in the piece was about the Ukraine-Russia relationship that's such a factor in the current situation. Nick talks downthread about the possibility of a future split and while there's some logic to that (the border of the country is something of an administrative construct not necessarily grounded in cultural homogeneity), there doesn't seem to be much internal support for that, from what I've seen. Even if it was, I don't think it would resolve the problem on a bigger picture.

It's hard to understate the cultural and historic significance of Kiev to Russia. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to describe it as the mother city of all the Russias. As such, and despite the fact it's clearly Ukrainian, its inhabitants want it to be so and to look west rather than east or north, I'm not sure Russia's ever got used to it being outside their borders. It's different from, say, Lithuania, which was independent between the wars anyway.

There's also the security angle that Russia's no doubt concerned about. EU and NATO membership are rightly seen as two pillars of the same western edifice (yes, there are exceptions in Europe but in recent years, joining one has gone hand-in-hand with joining the other). It's bad enough from Moscow's viewpoint for NATO's borders to have extended to a few miles from St Petersburg; for the Ukraine to join too would be a massive statement about what and where legitimate spheres of influence are - and would no doubt be followed by interest from Georgia and perhaps Armenia and Azerbaijan.

To which end, Russia is going to be hostile to any further EU or NATO expansion eastwards unless the EU can itself give Russia something worth having in return - which at the moment, it can't. All of which is one reason why Putin won't play ball on Syria, for example.

The solution to what's going on really lies in Moscow. While Putin's in the Kremlin, it will remain firmly under lock and key.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    'As probably the strongest Europhile on pb, I agree there's a problem...'

Nick and left leaners. I wonder how you guys think labour should campaign to get the vote out in the EU elections. Why does voting labour in these polls matter?

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

malcolmg said:

We could play quote-swaps all day, but the most obvious flaw in your rhetoric above is:

Quite re quote swaps - but
    (a) Mr Cameron can resolve all this with a formal inquiry to the EU, which he is refusing, contrary to the spirit of the Edinburgh Agreement;
    (b) Czech Republic and Slovakia got sorted out quickly
    (c) Scotland is ALREADY in the EU as part of the two-nation alliance of formally and legally equal partners that forms the UK. So, as the Spanish say, the situation is quite different.

It will be realpolitik which resolves it - but I notice that little attention has been given to the point that what is the case for Scotland is exactly the case for England, given that the Treaty of Union was an international agreement and remains the sole written constitution for the UK, and that Scotland and England are equal partners therein.

So I wonder if every unionist who gleefully screams that Scotland will be flung out into the outer darkness is prepared to accept precisely the same fate for England etc .

It should also be noted that Scotland will be seeking to remain a simple member, but if current rhetoric is any guide England, or rather the Westminster Government (whose legitimacy will vanish the moment the Treaty is abrogated, so let's hope they have that sorted out in advance) will be claiming to be the successor state to the UK. This is far more tendentious than the simple matter of Scotland's membership, and if anyone is going to have problems it will be EWNI.

There is also the logical inconsistency of the same people claiming that being outwith the EU is a terrible fate, while (often) demanding a referendum to take England out of the EU, and drag the rest of the UK with it (unwillingly, given current polling).

• Options

That would have been true of France and the UK too. However, Russia is in a very different category and if it were to join, it'd be several decades down the road - assuming the EU itself lasts that long.

key.
    That could be one reason why the UK has never been reconciled to EU membership, and why France is becoming less so.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

(a) Mr Cameron can resolve all this with a formal inquiry to the EU, which he is refusing, contrary to the spirit of the Edinburgh Agreement;
    (c) Scotland is ALREADY in the EU as part of the two-nation alliance of formally and legally equal partners that forms the UK. So, as the Spanish say, the situation is quite different.

It will be realpolitik which resolves it - but I notice that little attention has been given to the point that what is the case for Scotland is exactly the case for England, given that the Treaty of Union was an international agreement and remains the sole written constitution for the UK, and that Scotland and England are equal partners therein.

So I wonder if every unionist who gleefully screams that Scotland will be flung out into the outer darkness is prepared to accept precisely the same fate for England etc .

It should also be noted that Scotland will be seeking to remain a simple member, but if current rhetoric is any guide England, or rather the Westminster Government (whose legitimacy will vanish the moment the Treaty is abrogated, so let's hope they have that sorted out in advance) will be claiming to be the successor state to the UK. This is far more tendentious than the simple matter of Scotland's membership, and if anyone is going to have problems it will be EWNI.

There is also the logical inconsistency of the same people claiming that being outwith the EU is a terrible fate, while (often) demanding a referendum to take England out of the EU, and drag the rest of the UK with it (unwillingly, given current polling).

Leaving the EU would not be a terrible fate for either the UK or an independent Scotland. Rather, the reverse, in my view.

• Options
    @Carnyx With regard to b), Czechoslovakia was not in the EU when it split.

If Scotland leaves the UK, it will be the seceding state (and having to start from scratch), while the rest of the UK will continue as before. That's pretty obvious to all bar the obsessed, but two seconds' reflection on the legal status of northern Ireland once Scotland becomes independent should help even the obsessed to appreciate the point.
  • Options

Interesting article, thanks David. I'm gradually working my way through Churchill's history of WWII (yes, a bit "why I was right" in parts, but interesting all the same), and in passing he mentions that he hopes to see a full United States of Europe, with particular stress on free movement of people throughout the Continent. Like many of the period, he was of course influenced by the horrors of what national separation and rivalry had produced, and that's not such an issue now (except in Ukraine and the Balkans).

As probably the strongestt Europhile on pb, I agree there's a problem - having more big members will push the further away from integration and more towards a basic trading community with not much more. But like antifrank I think that multi-speed urope is the answer - let them join the Single Market for a start, and then let's take it a step at a time.

Incidentally, does anyone talk about Ukraine splitting? Unlike most splits, the case for it seems very strong. It's obvious that the western half is sincerely keen on joining Europe, and the Eastern half is sincerely keen on joining Russia, both for strong cultural and ethnic reasons. A solution of a plebiscite by region seems reasonable, and it's the way Schleswig-Holstein was eventually solved as a problem. Treating it as a zero-sum game where one side triumphs over the other (as both sides there seem to do) is nuts.

By the way, Germany is AFAIK in favour of Turkish membership. It's France that is strongly opposed.

Churchill was of course a product of his age and as such saw imperialism as an answer to many of the world's ills. This is one reason he supported the formation of a tame European Empire but with Britain on the outside as a Godfather, directing and benefiting from its development but separate and secure in its own Empire/Commonwealth. I suspect he gave little real thought to what this would mean for the people's of Europe in terms of their loss of democratic control. Like so many advocates of the European Union he was only interested (understandably but mistakenly) in preventing another war.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    All very interesting. In truth its tough to foresee a circumstance when will Ukraine be allowed in the club. For a "European" country, it's a bonkers hotbed of corruption, incompetence and paranoia. The constant click click on phone calls in and out of the country, hilariously conspicuous goons that follow international businessmen wherever they go, a banking system designed to allow the select few to leverage dirty money with unsuspecting domestic depositors savings and international hot funds...

A shame as there are many intelligent, welcoming and optimistic people there trying to make ends meet, that want honest and competent government far more than a grand diplomatic tilt East or West
  • Options

malcolmg said:

your quote swaps would all be ambiguous however , that one is factual , all the previous crap was based on countries being outside the EU which will not be Scotland's position. It will be decided whilst they are still members.
  • Options
    The potential further enlargement of the EU shows how there is a need for a wide European Economic Community (EEC) and a narrower political union (EU) of a smaller group of countries, say Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and probably France.

The UK would happily fit within the EEC and countries like Turkey could join too since the free movement of people would only apply to the EU counties not the EEC countries.
  • Options
    The Conservative European election campaign looks like it will be to get a better deal and stay in the EU

The UKIP European campaign strategy will be to leave the EU

The Lib Dem campaign will be to stay in the EU regardless

What will the Labour campaign position be - anyone know?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx, Your post will be way over the heads of the Little Englanders on here, given they are a world power they will be treated differently and those johnny foreigners will deal with them with the deference their greatness deserves, whilst thy will punish Scotland for daring not to want to remain slaves to westminster.

• Options

The potential further enlargement of the EU shows how there is a need for a wide European Economic Community (EEC) and a narrower political union (EU) of a smaller group of countries, say Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and probably France.

The UK would happily fit within the EEC and countries like Turkey could join too since the free movement of people would only apply to the EU counties not the EEC countries.

The hitch is that nobody else wants to be in the EEC. But free movement of people was half the point of the original thing.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

(snip)

If Cameron asked the EU, he'd get no answer to the actual question. The EU really don't want to face this issue, which is exactly why they've been sending different messages out. They'll only start working out what to do when they're faced with the hard, cold reality of an independent Scotland. Doing it any earlier risks upsetting other members of the club.

What is more, the EU may not be able to give an accurate answer until the time comes and the exact settlement between the UK and Scotland is decided - much would depend on that.

Scotland's membership would come down to negotiation. Not being in the Euro would be a problem, but a surmountable one at a price. The main problem would be the countries who face their own separatist movements, or those which would see an independent Scotland as a rival. It will be in their interests not just to say no, but to delay the moment that they have to say no for as long as possible.

And all this would take time; perhaps many years. The EU works at a glacial pace at the best of times. What will Scotland's fate be during that period? They'll be forced to use Sterling with no power within the BoE. Some interim measures may be put in place to protect Scottish trade, but again that may take time.

It also needs to be considered what the EU may demand from Scotland in order to become members.

These are all unquantified risks. The Yes camp will say they've all been sorted and the future will be rosy, but they're nowhere near being sorted.

Still, it's a slightly pointless debate, as it looks as though Scotland will vote no.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx, Your post will be way over the heads of the Little Englanders on here, given they are a world power they will be treated differently and those johnny foreigners will deal with them with the deference their greatness deserves, whilst thy will punish Scotland for daring not to want to remain slaves to westminster.

Oh lordy. You accuse other people of being Little Englanders for daring to have a different view from you.

But what does that make you? A Tiny Scotlander? A Titchy wee mite? A pimple on Europe's ar@e?
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Carnyx said:

(snip)

If Cameron asked the EU, he'd get no answer to the actual question. The EU really don't want to face this issue, which is exactly why they've been sending different messages out. They'll only start working out what to do when they're faced with the hard, cold reality of an independent Scotland. Doing it any earlier risks upsetting other members of the club.

What is more, the EU may not be able to give an accurate answer until the time comes and the exact settlement between the UK and Scotland is decided - much would depend on that.

Scotland's membership would come down to negotiation. Not being in the Euro would be a problem, but a surmountable one at a price. The main problem would be the countries who face their own separatist movements, or those which would see an independent Scotland as a rival. It will be in their interests not just to say no, but to delay the moment that they have to say no for as long as possible.

And all this would take time; perhaps many years. The EU works at a glacial pace at the best of times. What will Scotland's fate be during that period? They'll be forced to use Sterling with no power within the BoE. Some interim measures may be put in place to protect Scottish trade, but again that may take time.

It also needs to be considered what the EU may demand from Scotland in order to become members.

These are all unquantified risks. The Yes camp will say they've all been sorted and the future will be rosy, but they're nowhere near being sorted.

Still, it's a slightly pointless debate, as it looks as though Scotland will vote no.
    We have not seen any differing views, they have all been the same and talking about being outside the EU, Scotland will still be in the EU whilst negotiations take place. This has never happened or been envisaged and so the only sure thing we know is their is no answer at present. However given the EU will accept any tom , dick or harry they are unlikely to make it difficult for Scotland given the problems it will cause them in the process. Common sense tells you it will be waved through and if not it will be the EU that loses.

To crown it all your pathetic comment,from a person that knows the square root of zero on Scotland, that the vote will be no says it all. No sensible person would claim that at this point.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

(snip rubbish)

To crown it all your pathetic comment,from a person that knows the square root of zero on Scotland, that the vote will be no says it all. No sensible person would claim that at this point.

It should be obvious to any regular reader on PB that I have a deep love of Scotland, and know a fair bit about it's geography and history.

So in your mind, no sensible person would claim that the vote would be no, when no has a lead in almost all polls?

Well, it's a view.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    antifrank said:

@Carnyx With regard to b), Czechoslovakia was not in the EU when it split.

If Scotland leaves the UK, it will be the seceding state (and having to start from scratch), while the rest of the UK will continue as before. That's pretty obvious to all bar the obsessed, but two seconds' reflection on the legal status of northern Ireland once Scotland becomes independent should help even the obsessed to appreciate the point.

Thank you for the correction re Czechoslovakia, though, as I now recall, it might be added that Greenland took some years even to leave the EU when it split off from Denmark: yes, an example of the testudinality of the EU - but one in favour of an indy Scotland.

Your argument is presumably that the Treaty of Union is somehow abrogated by the 1800 union, and since then partial disunion, with Ireland? Of course I have considered that, but I just can't see how the argument works. This is because the 1707 Union Treaty was not itself modified and has never been abrogated. In the Anglo-Scottish context, anyway, the relevant date is surely 1707. The Westminster Gmt indeed argued (in its commissioned constitutional law review) that Scotland was extinguished in 1707 but this argument is illogical legally unless England was also extinguished into the new UK - in which case England or EWNI cannot be [edited to correct slip] the successor state any more than Scotland today.

England could in a sense be regarded as the sole remaining state in terms of realpolitik of the time, and the document pretty much said that as I recall, but that simply transfers the same argument to post-2014 and leaves EWNI open to the views and machinations of other EU members if and when Scotland abrogates the Treaty and dissolves the UK of 1707 (whatever EWNI chooses to call itself). These other members can, after all, point to the wording of the 1707 Treaty.

(The new state argument, of course, also means that EWNI keeps all the national debt as well as assets. And Scotland is hardly starting from scratch - much of the administrative structure is there, as is the Parliament. But those points have been well rehearsed elsewhere. I'm more concerned here with the wider implications of indy - and the issues it raises for both sides.)

As for SeanF's point about staying in the EU - it may well be that departure or a free trade agreement might be the best on balance at the time, but some renegotiation is inevitable; for one thing, there is the matter of the fisheries horsetraded away by the government of the time in London when seeking a rebate from Brussels.
  • Options
    The Commission has actually been completely unambiguous about its view on what happens to a part of a member state that secedes from that member state - it automatically places itself outside the EU. The Spanish Prime Minister and other ministers have made the same point. However, that is only a point of view. A definitive answer can only be provided if an existing member state requests that one be provided. The UK or Spain could do that and an answer would have to be given. It may take time to get one though. My strong suspicion is that should Scotland vote Yes, the rUK would support its immediate membership, but that Spain would not. Thus, the issue will finally be decided by the ECJ - perhaps after the rUK has voted to leave the EU!

I would like to see any quotes by current Spanish ministers that might indicate they'd wave through immediate Scottish membership of the EU in Spanish, in context and with a date attached. This is something I have followed for a number of years and I can think of no recent example of any Spanish pronouncement that is not unambiguously clear about where Spain stands on the EU status of secessionist states.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    edited December 2013
    Toms said:

I was a supporter.....

Poetry.
    Touché. I laughed too when I read your post!

Incidentally, did Churchill not offer a "solemn union" to France in 1940? I know that circumstances were somewhat desperate at the time, but that doesn't suggest he saw Britain as outside being Godfather. Or even benevolent uncle.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2013
    Any attempt to split the Ukraine from Russia would meet with a military response from Moscow. This would apply whether the threat was internal, for example, a move towards partition,or, external, as in the open wooing of the Ukraine by the EU.

The Kremlin would move quickly to reoccupy and re-integrate the core Slavic countries of the former Soviet Union if it considered its regional interests were threatened. Such a response would be widely supported by the Russian speaking peoples, both within and outwith the borders of the Russian Federation. who mostly remain unreconciled to the break up of the former Soviet empire.

The Ukraine used to be the "bread basket of Europe" but today it is merely fifty million hungry mouths with no mineral or energy resources and no manufacturing infrastructure to pay for its food. Put bluntly, it comprises the 'bad assets' part of the Former Soviet Union Bank.

Where the EU would benefit from an expansion east would be in preferential access to Russia's mineral and energy resources, but the cost of obtaining such preference would be high. China and Asia will be aggressive bidders at the auction for favours.

The way forward for both the EU and Russia is for negotiations to proceed between supranational blocs, say the EU and CIS, rather than for the EU to pick off individual countries. A free trade agreement between the two blocs, on the lines of NAFTA, is a realisable and safer medium term goal than any creeping and provocative EU 'divide and rule' EU strategy.

Similar considerations, but with less geo-political risks apply to Turkey. Turkey's best role must be to lead the eastern and southern mediterranean muslim countries in an economic bloc with with which the EU can "do business" but without taking on the burdens and risks of full integration. If the Syrian conflict is resolved it is not hard to envisage such a bloc running along the coastline from Istambul to Agadir.

Bloc alliance and not membership expansion is the way forward for the EU.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

(snip)

JJ said 'as it looks as though Scotland will vote no".

Which far from being what 'no sensible person would claim that at this point' is what every sensible person would claim at this point.

Unless that is you can show me an opinion poll or betting market which suggests otherwise.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

(snip)

We have not seen any differing views, they have all been the same and talking about being outside the EU, Scotland will still be in the EU whilst negotiations take place. This has never happened or been envisaged and so the only sure thing we know is their is no answer at present. However given the EU will accept any tom , dick or harry they are unlikely to make it difficult for Scotland given the problems it will cause them in the process. Common sense tells you it will be waved through and if not it will be the EU that loses.

You really do yourself no favours on here with your 'little Englander' jibes. There are those of us who are in favour of a positive independent Scotland and are also very anti-EU. Indeed Scotland being outside of the EU would for some of us be yet another good reason why they should vote for Independence.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    It has been UK policy for more than 20 years under both parties to encourage expansion of the EU. This is partly altruistic in that we wanted to save the emerging democracies of eastern Europe from dominance by Russia, partly cynical in that we wanted to dilute the Franco-German axis and create other potential power blocs and partly pragmatic in that we thought that a very large EU would be shallower but still have the key things that we wanted such as the free market.

To slightly misquote the Japanese Emperor at the end of WW II this plan has developed in ways not necessarily to our advantage. The introduction of the Euro has created and will continue to create a greater degree of integration than anything previously contemplated with banks, monetary policy and inevitably domestic budgets ever more regulated and controlled for those who have the same currency and who feel the effects of socialistic incompetence in other member states much more directly than they would feel before. Within a few years France, the supposed great power of de Gaulle, will be in special measures and being told that it will cut its state whoever they are daft enough to vote for.

The problem that the UK now has with expansion is that any potential new members, like, say, Scotland, will be required to join the euro creating an ever more dominant euro bloc over which we have ever less influence. This is the exact opposite of Baldrick's, sorry Major's, cunning plan and means we are changing our position.

From my experience of Turkey on holiday over the last few years I would point out that in tourist areas they already use the euro as a dual currency and would probably find the change relatively straightforward. The critics of the euro who described it as foolish and doomed (and I include myself in this category) will be chewing the carpet in frustration for a long time yet.
  • Options
    If it was the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland that signed the EU treaties, then the separation of of the UK into Scotland and the rest should perhaps mean that whatever Scotlland's post separation position, it also applies to England, Wales and Northern Ireland's position.
  • Options

If it was the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland that signed the EU treaties, then the separation of of the UK into Scotland and the rest should perhaps mean that whatever Scotlland's post separation position, it also applies to England, Wales and Northern Ireland's position.

For that to be the case it would have to be shown in international law and for that to happen someone would have to argue it. The most likely forum for such a thing to happen would be the UN in relation to the UK's permanent seat on the Security Council.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

How does the chickensuit fit Avery ;-)

I hope you wore it while you were carving the turkey.

Perhaps you could recommend to RN which suit to buy as I'm going to offer him the same bet on Osborne meeting his declared targets.

• Options

malcolmg said:

(snip rubbish)

It should be obvious to any regular reader on PB that I have a deep love of Scotland, and know a fair bit about it's geography and history.

So in your mind, no sensible person would claim that the vote would be no, when no has a lead in almost all polls?

Well, it's a view.
    Polls based on Westminster voting weighting are just plain stupid, but given it suits the viewpoint of people on here they are lauded as accurate. We do have a laugh about it.
  • Options
    Discussing the tomes of Norman Davies and the works of David Thomson is as fruitful as cleaning up the vomit of a Whiskey-soaked scotsman. Mr Herdson deserves a medal....

Surely the tales of the Baron suit the disney-folk better...?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Further to the discussion last night, I have created a regional Euro seat calculator. Select your region and enter the voting figures to work out how many seats each party would win...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xdqnDyoVSk1D2w-L_-c_OPpOx-3H367Kpqr8_EqgPg0/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It has been UK policy for more than 20 years under both parties to encourage expansion of the EU. This is partly altruistic in that we wanted to save the emerging democracies of eastern Europe from dominance by Russia, partly cynical in that we wanted to dilute the Franco-German axis and create other potential power blocs and partly pragmatic in that we thought that a very large EU would be shallower but still have the key things that we wanted such as the free market.

To slightly misquote the Japanese Emperor at the end of WW II this plan has developed in ways not necessarily to our advantage. The introduction of the Euro has created and will continue to create a greater degree of integration than anything previously contemplated with banks, monetary policy and inevitably domestic budgets ever more regulated and controlled for those who have the same currency and who feel the effects of socialistic incompetence in other member states much more directly than they would feel before. Within a few years France, the supposed great power of de Gaulle, will be in special measures and being told that it will cut its state whoever they are daft enough to vote for.

The problem that the UK now has with expansion is that any potential new members, like, say, Scotland, will be required to join the euro creating an ever more dominant euro bloc over which we have ever less influence. This is the exact opposite of Baldrick's, sorry Major's, cunning plan and means we are changing our position.

From my experience of Turkey on holiday over the last few years I would point out that in tourist areas they already use the euro as a dual currency and would probably find the change relatively straightforward. The critics of the euro who described it as foolish and doomed (and I include myself in this category) will be chewing the carpet in frustration for a long time yet.

An excellent post. My objection to the Single Currency goes beyond mere economics. I think the French are unwise to vote for political parties that maintain public spending at 55% of GDP; but, France is a democracy, and French economic policy should be no ones' business apart from that of the French voters.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

:children-should-be-seen-and-not-heard:
  • Options
    edited December 2013

The Commission has actually been completely unambiguous about its view on what happens to a part of a member state that secedes from that member state - it automatically places itself outside the EU. The Spanish Prime Minister and other ministers have made the same point. However, that is only a point of view. A definitive answer can only be provided if an existing member state requests that one be provided. The UK or Spain could do that and an answer would have to be given. It may take time to get one though. My strong suspicion is that should Scotland vote Yes, the rUK would support its immediate membership, but that Spain would not. Thus, the issue will finally be decided by the ECJ - perhaps after the rUK has voted to leave the EU!

I would like to see any quotes by current Spanish ministers that might indicate they'd wave through immediate Scottish membership of the EU in Spanish, in context and with a date attached. This is something I have followed for a number of years and I can think of no recent example of any Spanish pronouncement that is not unambiguously clear about where Spain stands on the EU status of secessionist states.

SO, December 17th in here I believe, he does do all the arguments and gives translations, worst case it will point you to the article.
    http://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/

Obviously until it happens they will not give a YES or NO but the 17th statement is as close as you can get.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

(snip)

Which far from being what 'no sensible person would claim that at this point' is what every sensible person would claim at this point.

Unless that is you can show me an opinion poll or betting market which suggests otherwise.
    Well given we know that polls are constantly wrong and that favourites get thumped every day of the year , your point is??
    Odds are changing as well , YES price is diminishing and as reality sets in it will shorten even more , just a pity I did not have funds to cash in.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    How far can it go ? The world is our oyster !

EU to become EU [ Earth Union ]. Then humanity will be one.
  • Options

Toms said:

I was a supporter.....

Poetry.
    Touché. I laughed too when I read your post!

Incidentally, did Churchill not offer a "solemn union" to France in 1940? I know that circumstances were somewhat desperate at the time, but that doesn't suggest he saw Britain as outside being Godfather. Or even benevolent uncle.
    Churchill always made it absolutely clear that he did not see Britain as being a member of a unified Europe.

His statement to the Commons in May 1953 summed this up perfectly:

“We are with Europe but not of it; we are linked but not compromised. We are associated but not absorbed. If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.”

He was also clear on what membership of the Common Market would mean as shown in a comment to the Cabinet again in 1953

"We help, we dedicate, we play a part, but we are not merged and do not forfeit our insular or Commonwealth-wide character".
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

(snip)

You really do yourself no favours on here with your 'little Englander' jibes. There are those of us who are in favour of a positive independent Scotland and are also very anti-EU. Indeed Scotland being outside of the EU would for some of us be yet another good reason why they should vote for Independence.

Richard, would you prefer me to lie and say they are all well balanced , fair minded people on here. There are some people on here that are but there are many "little englanders" as well , some who are so imbued with it that they do not even know they are.
  • Options

For that to be the case it would have to be shown in international law and for that to happen someone would have to argue it. The most likely forum for such a thing to happen would be the UN in relation to the UK's permanent seat on the Security Council.

Shown in international law - well, the Treaty for the 1707 union was an international treaty (and carefully established as such by the Scots), which says that Scotland and England are equal partners. If the London Government can seriously argue that an indy Scotland would need to renegotiate thousands of treaties with other states, including slave trade control agreements with tribal chiefs on the (then) Bight of Benin etc., it can hardly complain if that Treaty is upheld - not least because it is the sole constitutional document of the UK. Tear it up and Westminster loses its legitimacy instantly in the absence of an English Pmt.

Likely forum being the UN - how realistic is it for the UK (with or without Scotland) to keep that seat much longer anyway? It can't even defend home waters - we've had yet another Russian naval 'visit' in Scottish waters to which the RN could only send a ship from the Channel port, now we don't have Nimrod to provide patrol and rescue/economic area cover.

And many thanks to all for the various comments on the EU expansion more generally as well as on Scottish indy (and in the latter case eve, and especially those opposed to my comments). Very good to see the range of views..
  • Options

Discussing the tomes of Norman Davies and the works of David Thomson is as fruitful as cleaning up the vomit of a Whiskey-soaked scotsman. Mr Herdson deserves a medal....

Surely the tales of the Baron suit the disney-folk better...?

What - Oor Wullie, The Broons and Lord Snooty??!

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2013

AveryLP said:

Perhaps you could recommend to RN which suit to buy as I'm going to offer him the same bet on Osborne meeting his declared targets.

I think you must have keyed in the wrong order number, ar. I received a lionsuit through the post with a St George label. But thank you very much all the same. It was just what I wanted and fits perfectly.

As to GO not meeting his declared targets, did you see my post on Christmas Eve showing the undershoot on debt issuance this fiscal year? George has been so frugal in the first two thirds of the year that he has had to revise down DMO gilts and t-bills issuance by £15.5 billion over the final quarter. Re-read that, ar. £15.5 bn over a single quarter!

So my advice to you is to think carefully before offering RN any bets on government debt rising under St. George.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

(snip)

Well given we know that polls are constantly wrong and that favourites get thumped every day of the year , your point is??
    Odds are changing as well , YES price is diminishing and as reality sets in it will shorten even more , just a pity I did not have funds to cash in.
    Polls are sometimes wrong, but usually accurate.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

(snip)

So every poll is wrong and every favourite loses ...

Hmmm ...

That must be why President Romney is in the White House.

Its possible to want something so much that you lose all sense of critical analysis.

You've reached that point Malcolm.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Your argument is presumably that the Treaty of Union is somehow abrogated by the 1800 union....

As a Cow-pat in the middle of Wallonia would exclaim: *unspoofable*.

Please check your facts first. I don't think you are the worst SNat here but- :sighs: - your argument undermines itself when exposed to reality....

And please observe how posters interact: I only have a limited supply of monkey-nuts! Most people have been through the same arguments before, over many years: A more nuanced approach may help you to be taken seriously....

:many-thanks:
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    RodCrosby said:

Further to the discussion last night, I have created a regional Euro seat calculator. Select your region and enter the voting figures to work out how many seats each party would win...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xdqnDyoVSk1D2w-L_-c_OPpOx-3H367Kpqr8_EqgPg0/edit?usp=sharing

I see a lot of people all trying to play at once! You should be able to copy the sheet to your own Google Doc account...

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited December 2013
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

(snip rubbish)

Well, it's a view.
    Polls based on Westminster voting weighting are just plain stupid, but given it suits the viewpoint of people on here they are lauded as accurate. We do have a laugh about it.
    Polls on the Scottish Independence Rreferendum are not all based on Westminster VI weighting , some are based on Scottish Parliament VI weighting . ICM have in fact conducted research on the effect of choice of weighting and found in fact that the method of political weighting has no effect whatever . See the article on the ICM website on 19/11/2013 .
    No is well in the lead in the Scottish Independence Referendum and it is not remotely even close whatever your wishful thinking tells you .
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

ery much all the same. It was just what I wanted and fits perfectly.

As to GO not meeting his declared targets, did you see my post on Christmas Eve showing the undershoot on debt issuance this fiscal year? George has been so frugal in the first two thirds of the year that he has had to revise down DMO gilts and t-bills issuance by £15.5 billion over the final quarter. Re-read that, ar. £15.5 bn over a single quarter!

Are yes the latest accounting trick.

I forget which one this was, there's been so many its hard to keep track.

Its a pity that the ONS keeps showing the true borrowing number, you remember the number those of us in the real world will have to pay back.

But sill I've thought of a nice money making scheme you and I can indulge in.

You give me your pension fund assets to spend and I'll give you my pension fund assets to spend.

We wont bother about the future liabilities instead we'll let the taxpayers fund those.

Deal ?

• Options
    Positive demographics with continuing immigration................combine with relatively low taxes by European standards to encourage faster growth than in most Western economies,” the CEBR said. “By 2029 the UK will almost have caught up with Germany and we still forecast that the UK will overtake Germany to be the largest Western European economy around 2030.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10537773/Britain-will-become-biggest-economy-in-Europe.html

The Treasury hailed it. Good. So they are in favour of more immigration as that is what is driving this virtuous circle.

More immigration, more young workforce, more taxpayers, prosperity for all !
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Your argument is presumably that the Treaty of Union is somehow abrogated by the 1800 union....

Please check your facts first. I don't think you are the worst SNat here but- :sighs: - your argument undermines itself when exposed to reality....

And please observe how posters interact: I only have a limited supply of monkey-nuts! Most people have been through the same arguments before, over many years: A more nuanced approach may help you to be taken seriously....

No, please: I am genuinely interested in your argument as to the relevance of the 1800 union - or whatever it is that I am missing. I do think it well worth a peanut, please, even if your supply is limited.

I was taught, when dealing with legal matters, always check what the paperwork says, and if the Treaty of Union says X, then there must be some good reason to conclude that Y in fact applies (one being, of course, realpolitik, as I entirely agree).

If these arguments have really been thought through over the years then this is a very unusual website.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

I think you must have keyed in the wrong order number, ar. I received a lionsuit through the post with a St George label. But thank you very much all the same. It was just what I wanted and fits perfectly.

So my advice to you is to think carefully before offering RN any bets on government debt rising under St. George.

Quite clearly government debt will increase substantially over this Parliament. Given that we started with a deficit of £156bn in a single year any reduction in debt could only have been achieved by bringing the economy to a complete halt and unemployment in the multiple millions.

Given what has been achieved and what was acheivable for the most indebted country per capita in the world the argument that Osborne is some sort of incompetent because he will not match his objectives in his 2010 emergency budget which contained what turned out to be wildly optimistic OBR assumptions of EZ growth is quite perverse, indeed I would say irrational.

I would not go as far as you do in recommending Osborne to sainthood Avery but only the economically illiterate would fail to recognise that he has made very substantial progress in very difficult conditions in getting this country out of the death spiral it was in in 2010. There is a long way to go yet and the state may still have to look substantially different by the time he is finished but real and substantial progress has been made.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Avery, you are always moving the goalposts. Compare everything to what Osborne predicted in June 2010. He said, we would have a surplus in 2015-16.

I will be eagerly waiting for it. Even with the Post Office Pensions skullduggery.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

SO, December 17th in here I believe, he does do all the arguments and gives translations, worst case it will point you to the article.
    http://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/

Obviously until it happens they will not give a YES or NO but the 17th statement is as close as you can get.

My reading of the quote is that it indicates that Scotland would be outside the EU and that Spain's decision on integration would be based on what the rUK states. Thus, as and when the separation is agreed between Edinburgh and London, Spain would not veto the commencement of negotiations for Scotland to join the EU if the rUK supported that. That's pretty much been the official position all along - though I suspect that's because Madrid believes No will win. If Yes comes out on top my strong hunch is that things may change - unless the Spanish government has. The PP is right wing and Spanish nationalist; Scotland may well find itself caught up in internal Spanish politics. The quotes are mostly about what would happen in the case of a unilateral declaration of independence by the Catalans.

• Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10537773/Britain-will-become-biggest-economy-in-Europe.html

The beauty is that Turkey will overtake France in GDP terms. Ha ha ha !!!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited December 2013
    DavidL said:

That's a good summary of British policy. The idea was to make the EU "broad but shallow": Involve more countries, make everyone move at the pace of the slowest and throw a bit of sand in the gears. Where it came off the rails was where John Major could no longer persuade his party to go as slow as he could plausibly get the core to go, so he stopped resisting a "two-speed Europe" and started trying to get opt-outs. From that point on the policy no longer served its original goals: If countries can integrate at different speeds, adding slow ones doesn't slow the core down.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Positive demographics with continuing immigration................combine with relatively low taxes by European standards to encourage faster growth than in most Western economies,” the CEBR said. “By 2029 the UK will almost have caught up with Germany and we still forecast that the UK will overtake Germany to be the largest Western European economy around 2030.”

The Treasury hailed it. Good. So they are in favour of more immigration as that is what is driving this virtuous circle.

More immigration, more young workforce, more taxpayers, prosperity for all !

Certainly not more prosperity for all. It is a shame that those who continue to push the myth of greater per capita prosperity resulting from an increased overall population fail to see the basic logical flaw in the argument. Eventually ( and quite quickly) the extra workforce themselves become dependent as a result of ageing. So yet more people are needed to support them and the country continues to fill and fill in an unsustainable manner.

As has been pointed out often enough on here, the free movement of peoples and the welfare state are fundamentally incompatible. Those on the left who see both as red lines will have to choose sooner rather than later which of these great principles they wish to abandon.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

No, please: I am genuinely interested in your argument as to the relevance of the 1800 union - or whatever it is that I am missing.

The union came into effect on 1 January 1801.
    [Src.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_Union_1800 ]

D.Y.O.R. Ireland became part of the United-Kingdom from said date. It is not rocket science: Should the people of Scotland 'grow-a-pair' independence will not occur over-night! *

* A point I made to Unckie'-malc which you put your Clark [kiddies] size-six into; uninvited....
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited December 2013
    @surbiton posted- More immigration, more young workforce, more taxpayers, prosperity for all !

You really believe that crap,more people looking for housing,health centres full,hospitals can't cope,infrastruture at breaking point,more water shortages ,shortage of school places and Quality of life starts to suffer.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Shown in international law - well, the Treaty for the 1707 union was an international treaty (and carefully established as such by the Scots), which says that Scotland and England are equal partners. If the London Government can seriously argue that an indy Scotland would need to renegotiate thousands of treaties with other states, including slave trade control agreements with tribal chiefs on the (then) Bight of Benin etc., it can hardly complain if that Treaty is upheld - not least because it is the sole constitutional document of the UK. Tear it up and Westminster loses its legitimacy instantly in the absence of an English Pmt.

Likely forum being the UN - how realistic is it for the UK (with or without Scotland) to keep that seat much longer anyway? It can't even defend home waters - we've had yet another Russian naval 'visit' in Scottish waters to which the RN could only send a ship from the Channel port, now we don't have Nimrod to provide patrol and rescue/economic area cover.

And many thanks to all for the various comments on the EU expansion more generally as well as on Scottish indy (and in the latter case eve, and especially those opposed to my comments). Very good to see the range of views..
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

(snip)

Hmmm, I am far from convinced , you only need look at the last election in 2011 to see your theory destroyed. Key point is that trying to weight the independence referendum based on party lines is bonkers and means the polls are crap.
  • Options

DavidL said:

That's a good summary of British policy. The idea was to make the EU "broad but deep": Involve more countries, make everyone move at the pace of the slowest and throw a bit of sand in the gears. Where it came off the rails was where John Major could no longer persuade his party to go as slow as he could plausibly get the core to go, so he stopped resisting a "two-speed Europe" and started trying to get opt-outs. From that point on the policy no longer served its original goals: If countries can integrate at different speeds, adding slow ones doesn't slow the core down.
    That is a good point Edmund and also explains why it was so disastrous for UK interests that Brown conceded in the Lisbon treaty that the EZ countries can effectively agree additional integration without our involvement within the EU structures and legal competences. At that point the brakes were thrown in the bin and the development of an EZ super bloc was assured. The man really was and is an idiot.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Quite clearly government debt will increase substantially over this Parliament. Given that we started with a deficit of £156bn in a single year any reduction in debt could only have been achieved by bringing the economy to a complete halt and unemployment in the multiple millions.

Given what has been achieved and what was acheivable for the most indebted country per capita in the world the argument that Osborne is some sort of incompetent because he will not match his objectives in his 2010 emergency budget which contained what turned out to be wildly optimistic OBR assumptions of EZ growth is quite perverse, indeed I would say irrational.

I would not go as far as you do in recommending Osborne to sainthood Avery but only the economically illiterate would fail to recognise that he has made very substantial progress in very difficult conditions in getting this country out of the death spiral it was in in 2010. There is a long way to go yet and the state may still have to look substantially different by the time he is finished but real and substantial progress has been made.
    David, A block of wood could do as good a job when they can borrow nearly £3B every week. He has managed nothing other than to show he can borrow as much or more than labour could. Nothing whatsoever is fixed if you need to borrow north of £2B per week to keep afloat.
  • Options
    @Carnyx - the fall back position in international law is the status quo, unless someone challenges that. Realistically, no member state is going to challenge the rUK being the successor state to the UK in the EU should Scotland vote Yes. No-one wins from that. However, several countries - including the likes of India, Brazil and Indonesia - might see an upside in challenging the rUK's position on the Security Council.
  • Options
    Something missing in Southam Observer's post please?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

(snip)

Hmmm, I am far from convinced , you only need look at the last election in 2011 to see your theory destroyed. Key point is that trying to weight the independence referendum based on party lines is bonkers and means the polls are crap.
    Agreed.

It's quite likely that less than half of SNP supporters will vote Yes.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

(snip)

they're nowhere near being sorted.

So every poll is wrong and every favourite loses ...

Hmmm ...

That must be why President Romney is in the White House.

Its possible to want something so much that you lose all sense of critical analysis.

You've reached that point Malcolm.
    Richard, you may be being obtuse , however his justification that polls and betting made the result inevitable was silly. As I tried to point out and which you ignored , polls are often wrong and favourites get beaten regularly , thus making his assertion just bollocks.
    I am well aware that the vote may be NO even though I hope otherwise. However I well know that the betting to date has been extremely stupid given that NO at 1/7 is a joke , just as YES at 11/2 was the same.
    It will be interesting to see where we are come the spring.
    I will say again that in my opinion the current polls and betting are miles out on the reality of what will happen, it will be very close or YES in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

David, A block of wood could do as good a job when they can borrow nearly £3B every week. He has managed nothing other than to show he can borrow as much or more than labour could. Nothing whatsoever is fixed if you need to borrow north of £2B per week to keep afloat.

I agree, it is not fixed. but borrowing £2bn a week is much better than borrowing £3bn. Having a plan by which you stop borrowing at all is important too. So is having at least an aspiration to start paying it all back.

By the election we will be down to borrowing £1.5bn a week. This is not good. But considering where we started and how the world economy has performed over the last 5 years it is little short of miraculous.

Then the British people face a very important choice. Do they continue to take the medicine and endure considerable discomfort as a result in the expectation of becoming well or do they go on another binge? I wish the answer was obvious but it isn't.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Fluffy , you actually managed a few sentences there that were almost in English. You should get your keeper to give you some more nuts they seem to be helping you.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Imagine if the BNP came up with the idea of a protectionist state that had free trade & movement of workers with European countries while needing permits and quotas when dealing with Africa and Asia
  • Options

Carnyx said:

No, please: I am genuinely interested in your argument as to the relevance of the 1800 union - or whatever it is that I am missing.

D.Y.O.R. Ireland became part of the United-Kingdom from said date. It is not rocket science: Should the people of Scotland 'grow-a-pair' independence will not occur over-night! *

* A point I made to Unckie'-malc which you put your Clark [kiddies] size-six into; uninvited....

Thank you. I was thinking in legislative terms rather than implementative terms but in the latter case you are quite right with 1801. While we are, quite rightly, on the level of detail, it is Clarks shoes, not Clark shoes, sans the apostrophe (rather surprisingly). C. & J. Clark, as they were, are a very interesting company with a Quakerly history.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Dear dear fluffy , using Wiki as your proof , how desperate is that. Our pair is well grown and you suckers will be shell shocked come September. Once you have to start paying your own bills it will be really funny.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Fluffy , you actually managed a few sentences there that were almost in English. You should get your keeper to give you some more nuts they seem to be helping you.

It is not my fault that you are a "slow" reader....

:sniggers:

• Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

I agree, it is not fixed. but borrowing £2bn a week is much better than borrowing £3bn. Having a plan by which you stop borrowing at all is important too. So is having at least an aspiration to start paying it all back.

By the election we will be down to borrowing £1.5bn a week. This is not good. But considering where we started and how the world economy has performed over the last 5 years it is little short of miraculous.

Then the British people face a very important choice. Do they continue to take the medicine and endure considerable discomfort as a result in the expectation of becoming well or do they go on another binge? I wish the answer was obvious but it isn't.
    David, We can but hope, but I do not see much of a grand plan and have zero confidence in Cameron and Osborne. I fear we will be unlikely to get out of it long term, they will overheat the south east and London as usual to inflate it away and destroy the rest of the country in the process. I believe they are stupid enough for it.
  • Options

@Carnyx - the fall back position in international law is the status quo, unless someone challenges that. Realistically, no member state is going to challenge the rUK being the successor state to the UK in the EU should Scotland vote Yes. No-one wins from that. However, several countries - including the likes of India, Brazil and Indonesia - might see an upside in challenging the rUK's position on the Security Council.

Thank you. Sounds convincing.

• Options

malcolmg said:

It is not my fault that you are a "slow" reader....

:sniggers:

Takes the words a long time to get up here, boys can only wave the flags at certain speed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Actually the standard procedure is for government's to make predictions they expect to beat so that when the outcome comes in 'better than predicted' they can claim to be a great success.

Although you are correct in pointing out the uselessness of the OBR - its just another government agency making economic forecasts, in that way no different to the Treasury or BoE and thus entirely superfluous.

Anyway that's enough from me for now as I've got a football match to go to.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Thank you. I was thinking in legislative terms rather than implementative terms but in the latter case you are quite right with 1801. While we are, quite rightly, on the level of detail, it is Clarks shoes, not Clark shoes, sans the apostrophe (rather surprisingly). C. & J. Clark, as they were, are a very interesting company with a Quakerly history.

Point One: I know the Clarks area well: Avon Cosmetics know about my professionalism and decency when I installed their digital systems in the mid-'Nineties. Northampton is quite nice (sans the A-14)...

Quakers have a lot to answer for in Sarf' Luhn'dahn! Very few pubs along the A206 and back to Grove Park. Whiskey-Galore my back-side....
This discussion has been closed.