Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

WH2020 passes another milestone making Trump’s effort to discredit the results even more challenging

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    And Sturgeon, Drakeford and Foster - it was a UK wide decision
    Very much under protest for Ms S. I think she will turn out to have been right.
    The seamless transition from 'Sturge was wrong to pursue a different policy from Westminster' to 'Sturge was wrong to pursue the same policy as Westminster' will be a joy to witness.
    I do wonder what will happen if she tries to cancel Christmas. On second thoughts, I do know.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

I'd need to find it but I read this morning (might have been sky news) that only 13% of people were planning on meeting at Christmas before the relaxations were announced. It's now 33%. Perhaps a sense of "The government says we can do it so it must be okay?". I thought the Christmas relaxation was probably neccessary because otherwise people would just say fuck it and take the piss, but I'm really starting to think that it wasn't a good plan now.

I think the big mistake has been that, in the messaging, the government and especially Boris have concentrated too much on the relaxation of the legal rules, and not enough on what should be the accompanying message that people should voluntarily avoid contact and stay at home if it's reasonably possible to do so.
    Is that not what Vallance is trying to put right today? Not enough on its own of course.

And whilst families will mix more at Christmas people will not be going to work so much, few will be using public transport, the schools and Universities will be shut, the pubs are going to be shut in large parts of the country (many, sadly, permanently) and I don't see the boxing day sales being up to much. In other words there will be offsets against the family mixing.
    I do hope you are right, and I'm sure you are right that they will help. But enough?
    Its a roll of the dice, no question. And I have sympathy with those who say that is not a very governmental approach. Like intercontinental nuclear war the only way to win is not to play.
    I think the best thing for them to do now is get JVT and Johnson on the telly at a briefing with the latest US figures and say "This is what happens when you mingle at a major holiday with lots of people. Please, please, consider cancelling your plans. We aren't going to arrest you for having a Christmas Lunch but with the vaccine on the horizon it just isn't worth it".
  • Options

I wonder if there's anyone who falls for the mad spin that "gravity" means a more onerous LPF is required for the UK considers the same in reverse?

The EU's minimum wage is €1.95 per hour - less than a fifth of the UK's minimum wage. Does "gravity" mean the UK should not sign a trade deal with the EU for as long as we are being undercut on this?

I doubt there's even a single Europhile here who will make that argument despite parroting the spin in reverse. Which is because it is nonsense all of it.

Are you moaning again that the the EU are being "unreasonable"?

It doesn't matter - it is what it is. Being a "europhile" has nothing to do with it.
    Not moaning no, just discussing politics on a politics website. If the EU are unreasonable then we have ways to respond to that: my preferred choice is to walk away without a deal.

Acknowledging that the EU are being unreasonable is the first step to nationally deciding that we should walk away
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    Breaking: the WP article about the renowned Xmas movie Die Hard is now a featured article candidate
  • Options
    RobD said:

OnboardG1 said:

I'd need to find it but I read this morning (might have been sky news) that only 13% of people were planning on meeting at Christmas before the relaxations were announced. It's now 33%. Perhaps a sense of "The government says we can do it so it must be okay?". I thought the Christmas relaxation was probably neccessary because otherwise people would just say fuck it and take the piss, but I'm really starting to think that it wasn't a good plan now.

I think the big mistake has been that, in the messaging, the government and especially Boris have concentrated too much on the relaxation of the legal rules, and not enough on what should be the accompanying message that people should voluntarily avoid contact and stay at home if it's reasonably possible to do so.
    Yeah, "You won't get fined for visiting your relatives over Christmas, but that doesn't mean it isn't a completely stupid thing to do."
    Absolutely. The government should have made it clear that it wont strictly be illegal to gather but that they and their medics strongly urge people not to as it is a real risk.

As every day passes I am more glad that I took the decision not to have any relatives this year.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    edited December 2020
    OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Gaussian said:

rpjs said:

OnboardG1 said:

Real world brexit impact alert (with the foreword that I don't think it will be a cataclysm, more a depressing series of corrosive irritations):

I just got a quote for a new PCB I'm designing. The boards are on a ten day lead time. That should be done before the new year (hopefully). The embuggerance is going to be that my board might not get populated any time soon because the integrated circuits come from Europe. I can live with three weeks delay but that's going to be a nightmare for anyone who makes them en masse. Honestly, I'm less annoyed with the government threatening a no deal exit and more pissed off with them for not at least having the decency to hire a bunch of redundant retail workers to process border documentation and failing to have proper customs facilities ready. The tarriff rates aren't going to be fun but it's the snarl up in the transit that's going to really hurt and that's all on HMG not being ready for an outcome they keep threatening.

People seem to be missing the point that an FTA deal will just determine what, if any, tariffs get applied. All the reimposed bureaucracy at the border is baked in deal or no deal and no-one seems to be remotely ready to deal with it.
    That could be fudged over with an implementation period of a few months if both sides were so inclined.
    I do wonder if there might be a little "paperwork holiday" for January whatever happens just to keep the lorries moving, but the issue is that there will always have to be a point where you impose your rules and that's where the crunch will happen. Because people are lazy and paperwork is hard.
    A lot depends on whether there is an amicable deal or not, almost irrespective of the formal scope of the agreement. If there is a deal, then our EU friends are likely to be much more helpful in smoothing things along. If not...
    I think it goes further than that. An amicable "no-deal" is now possible thanks to Gove actually being competent when asked to do something technical. If Johnson resists the temptation to Eurobash in the event of no agreement being reached then I think the EU would be willing to a) leave the door open for future talks and b) try to mitigate against the worst disruption come January.

However, this is Boris Johnson we're talking about here.
    It could be in the political interests of both sides to go through a few days/weeks of No Deal before signing the deal that's on the table.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Is that not what Vallance is trying to put right today? Not enough on its own of course.

And whilst families will mix more at Christmas people will not be going to work so much, few will be using public transport, the schools and Universities will be shut, the pubs are going to be shut in large parts of the country (many, sadly, permanently) and I don't see the boxing day sales being up to much. In other words there will be offsets against the family mixing.
    I do hope you are right, and I'm sure you are right that they will help. But enough?
    I think the Scottish government is looking to delay the return of students back to their halls for about 6 weeks. Although I feel very sorry for those such as my nephew who have had a pretty shit first year as a student that is probably a sensible response in light of the anticipated January increase and will hopefully reduce the pressure on hospitals.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Its a roll of the dice, no question. And I have sympathy with those who say that is not a very governmental approach. Like intercontinental nuclear war the only way to win is not to play.
    I think the best thing for them to do now is get JVT and Johnson on the telly at a briefing with the latest US figures and say "This is what happens when you mingle at a major holiday with lots of people. Please, please, consider cancelling your plans. We aren't going to arrest you for having a Christmas Lunch but with the vaccine on the horizon it just isn't worth it".
    Yes. That would be the right thing to do.
  • Options
    Bit of controversy for Biden. He is planning to put a military man in charge of Defence Dept. It has always been a civilian.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

OnboardG1 said:

Yeah, "You won't get fined for visiting your relatives over Christmas, but that doesn't mean it isn't a completely stupid thing to do."
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/covid-patient-tells-doctor-all-22-people-at-her-thanksgiving-dinner-have-symptoms/ar-BB1bLDQf?ocid=uxbndlbing
    They even gave us a trial run of the experiment to show how mad it is.
  • Options

Bit of controversy for Biden. He is planning to put a military man in charge of Defence Dept. It has always been a civilian.

Except for when it has not.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    edited December 2020
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    The seamless transition from 'Sturge was wrong to pursue a different policy from Westminster' to 'Sturge was wrong to pursue the same policy as Westminster' will be a joy to witness.
    I do wonder what will happen if she tries to cancel Christmas. On second thoughts, I do know.
    She’ll blame London and put the SNP up another 20 points in the polls, on past form.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    Nationalist Governments can't afford to take unpopular decisions like that - she would only have cancelled Christmas so if given cover by the other home nations, and she'd have probably tried to cancel it 'a bit less' than England because 'Scotland is in a much better place'. It has to be bread and circuses all the way till the goal is achieved.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

I think the Scottish government is looking to delay the return of students back to their halls for about 6 weeks. Although I feel very sorry for those such as my nephew who have had a pretty shit first year as a student that is probably a sensible response in light of the anticipated January increase and will hopefully reduce the pressure on hospitals.
    More correctly "up to" - staggered return.

https://www.gov.scot/news/staggered-return-to-campus-for-university-students/#:~:text=Further COVID testing before restart,coronavirus (COVID-19).

PS sorry -not trying to sound rude.
  • Options

Mad Dog Matliss waves hullo.

But there are good reasons for ensuring that the head of the military is civilian. The man he has chosen looks very experienced and competent and would also be the first black man to hold the position but I think its a mistake.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

Edward Colston statue: Four (more) charged with criminal damage

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-55248263

I notice that all the previous individuals got far less of a punishment than pissy man, who a) handed himself in and b) caused no permanent damage to anything other than his own reputation.

His sentence was more to do with the fact he got his todger out in a public place.

Outraging the public decency has some strict sentencing guidelines.
    That's even more ridiculous then, because every normal night of the week, somebody does something exactly the same in every town up and down the country....and hardly like he just whipped it out and was parading about.

We would need to take back Australia as a prison colony if we are going to lock up everybody who does that.
    It's not so much that, it is what he urinated on that was also an aggravating factor, he received a very lenient sentence he was sentenced to 14 days, IIRC a few years a woman was sentenced to six months for urinating on a war memorial.

Edit - Here's the story, from 2016, and she was sentenced to seven months, not six.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/20/seven-months-in-jail-for-kelly-martin-woman-who-twice-urinated-on-war-memorial
    But (attempting) to set fire to one, got two individuals basically no punishment at all.
    Which war memorial are you talking about?
    A teenager who attempted to burn the Union Flag at The Cenotaph during an anti-racism protest in London has today avoided a jail sentence. Judge Christopher Hehir instead today gave him a two-year conditional discharge and ordered him to pay £340 in court costs.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/03/protester-19-who-tried-to-set-union-flag-alight-on-cenotaph-avoids-jail-13696832

Also, unlike pissy man,

Shanice Mahmud, prosecuting, said: 'Demonstrators were showing aggressive behaviour towards police and, as they reached the long side of the Cenotaph, missiles and bottles were being thrown at them.

'The defendant was at the front of the group, and he was being hostile and aggressive. They could see he was aggressive, confrontational, and was swinging his arms.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9014643/Black-Lives-Matter-activist-tried-torch-Union-Flag-let-off.html
    Thanks, Charlie Gilmour must have been pissed off about that.
    Ah yes. The chap who demonstrated that a defence that consisted of

1) A history student at Cambridge claiming he had no idea what the Centoaph was
    2) That he wasn't responsible for his action because he had self adminstered a mix of alcohol and illegal drugs.

doesn't result in favourable outcome. Funny that.
    He didn't go to one of the proper Cambridge colleges, he went to one of the JCL colleges.

One that wasn't even a proper college until 1948!
    What's a 'JCL' college? Not a term I'm familiar with.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ah, my mistake - sounds like is usually or typically a civilian.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

OnboardG1 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/covid-patient-tells-doctor-all-22-people-at-her-thanksgiving-dinner-have-symptoms/ar-BB1bLDQf?ocid=uxbndlbing
    The messaging on this has bordered on criminal to be honest. Someone in Downing Street was briefing the press about "saving xmas" weeks ago and things have just snowballed from there.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

Marshall and Mattis were career generals, but I think most of the others who had military records it was national service of one sort or another.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

https://www.gov.scot/news/staggered-return-to-campus-for-university-students/#:~:text=Further COVID testing before restart,coronavirus (COVID-19).

PS sorry -not trying to sound rude.
    Staggered returns to halls is what students traditionally do at later times than they should anyway, so I don’t see the problem there.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

That article says "at least" 6 weeks. My nephew is at Dundee and that what has been indicated to him. All his classes bar one have been online anyway and he has not been able to attend that one for some weeks as he was in quarantine. Its been tough.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    Nationalist Governments can't afford to take unpopular decisions like that - she would only have cancelled Christmas so if given cover by the other home nations, and she'd have probably tried to cancel it 'a bit less' than England because 'Scotland is in a much better place'. It has to be bread and circuses all the way till the goal is achieved.
    There is a whacking great Nationalist Government in London, so the logic doesn't quite work.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

That article says "at least" 6 weeks. My nephew is at Dundee and that what has been indicated to him. All his classes bar one have been online anyway and he has not been able to attend that one for some weeks as he was in quarantine. Its been tough.
    Ah, I'd read differently in a newspaper report - thanks.
  • Options

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

OnboardG1 said:

The messaging on this has bordered on criminal to be honest. Someone in Downing Street was briefing the press about "saving xmas" weeks ago and things have just snowballed from there.
    I thought the "jolly careful" catchphrase was a good one. Corny but Christmas is always corny. Should be repeated more often until everyone is rolling their eyes at it (but the message has gotten through).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

The vaccine arrival changes the dynamics of this a hell of a lot. I've been tending towards the 'learning to live with it' side of things, but now only weeks from mass vaccination.

People can hang on now and have a gathering at Easter. Yeh, its a bit shit but its the sensible thing now.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Marshall and Mattis were career generals, but I think most of the others who had military records it was national service of one sort or another.
    You need to get a waiver if your service is less than 7 years prior. Mattis was, I think, the first to require this and Biden's choice would be the second. There was a good article in the Atlantic about it I will try to find.
    Edit here: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/12/no-job-general/617326/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-daily-newsletter&utm_content=20201208&silverid-ref=Njk5MTc2ODk0NTgwS0
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    There is a whacking great Nationalist Government in London, so the logic doesn't quite work.
    It does work actually - Boris can't cancel Christmas it for very similar reasons - though in his case it's more that his political capital is at an all time low. Nicola's is still quite high.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

Yep, Safe Harbor Day has come and gone, giving yet greater certainty to Biden's win, and the Betfair market has duly reacted -

Trump steams in to 20s.

It may not appear much in the news but the State of Texas, with the backing of a number of other states, is suing PA, GA Wisconsin and Michigan.

I'm no lawyer but the case involves changes to election rules made by the states being sued, which Texas alleges are illegal.

Only the Supreme Court can deliberate in legal disputes between states, as I understand it. This is serious.
    Much as you would like to see a Trump coup (for reasons that are entirely beyond me) this case is not serious, it's frivlolous. It has zero chance of success.
    If only because there's no way SCOTUS is going to open the door to states suing each other for enacting laws they don't like: for a start, states like NY with strong gun control laws would see the door open to sue states with weak gun control laws for enabling a supply of illegal firearms across state lines.
    Yes, agree on that, @rpjs, as you said, the ramifications would be huge if you took it to the logical conclusions and your example is a good one. Plenty of others too.

I guess (for me anyway) the real interesting question is why Texas (and others) have got themselves involved with this, especially as Texas has been cooperative with states on other matters and, as you said, you would assume the chances are close to zero. It could be a bit of virtual signalling to the Trump base that they tried to do something, it could be the Republicans trying to get SCOTUS to say something about common standards for federal elections or it could be Ted Cruz prodding the Texas AG to come out with this so it helps his chances with Trump / his fan base in 2024.
    They got involved because the politicians in question saw electoral value in the next Primary season from being seen as a big supporter of President Trump!

It's really that simple. It's exactly the same stupid reason - narrow, temporary political advantage - that sees Keir Starmer instagram a picture of himself on one knee.
    Oh I'd agree with that which is why I think Cruz has got something to do with it (and with his comment he would have presented the PA case to SCOTUS).
    The case from TX has been described as a “press release masquerading as a lawsuit.” by a law professor.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    Whacking great patriotic government in London I think you mean.
  • Options

Edward Colston statue: Four (more) charged with criminal damage

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-55248263

I notice that all the previous individuals got far less of a punishment than pissy man, who a) handed himself in and b) caused no permanent damage to anything other than his own reputation.

His sentence was more to do with the fact he got his todger out in a public place.

Outraging the public decency has some strict sentencing guidelines.
    That's even more ridiculous then, because every normal night of the week, somebody does something exactly the same in every town up and down the country....and hardly like he just whipped it out and was parading about.

We would need to take back Australia as a prison colony if we are going to lock up everybody who does that.
    It's not so much that, it is what he urinated on that was also an aggravating factor, he received a very lenient sentence he was sentenced to 14 days, IIRC a few years a woman was sentenced to six months for urinating on a war memorial.

Edit - Here's the story, from 2016, and she was sentenced to seven months, not six.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/20/seven-months-in-jail-for-kelly-martin-woman-who-twice-urinated-on-war-memorial
    But (attempting) to set fire to one, got two individuals basically no punishment at all.
    Which war memorial are you talking about?
    A teenager who attempted to burn the Union Flag at The Cenotaph during an anti-racism protest in London has today avoided a jail sentence. Judge Christopher Hehir instead today gave him a two-year conditional discharge and ordered him to pay £340 in court costs.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/03/protester-19-who-tried-to-set-union-flag-alight-on-cenotaph-avoids-jail-13696832

Also, unlike pissy man,

Shanice Mahmud, prosecuting, said: 'Demonstrators were showing aggressive behaviour towards police and, as they reached the long side of the Cenotaph, missiles and bottles were being thrown at them.

'The defendant was at the front of the group, and he was being hostile and aggressive. They could see he was aggressive, confrontational, and was swinging his arms.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9014643/Black-Lives-Matter-activist-tried-torch-Union-Flag-let-off.html
    Thanks, Charlie Gilmour must have been pissed off about that.
    Ah yes. The chap who demonstrated that a defence that consisted of

1) A history student at Cambridge claiming he had no idea what the Centoaph was
    2) That he wasn't responsible for his action because he had self adminstered a mix of alcohol and illegal drugs.

doesn't result in favourable outcome. Funny that.
    He didn't go to one of the proper Cambridge colleges, he went to one of the JCL colleges.

One that wasn't even a proper college until 1948!
    Oi! We were (and I trust, still are) highly proper. And gave the world Lady Hale, never forget.

Not technically in Cambridge, I'll grant you...
    Ok, I'll let become a proper but JCL college because of Lady Hale.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Do you think he had the Shagamobile repainted specifically with that photo op in mind??
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

You need to get a waiver if your service is less than 7 years prior. Mattis was, I think, the first to require this and Biden's choice would be the second. There was a good article in the Atlantic about it I will try to find.
    Edit here: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/12/no-job-general/617326/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-daily-newsletter&utm_content=20201208&silverid-ref=Njk5MTc2ODk0NTgwS0
    The waiver has been issued twice, once in the 50s and then recently for Mattis.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    edited December 2020

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

The vaccine arrival changes the dynamics of this a hell of a lot. I've been tending towards the 'learning to live with it' side of things, but now only weeks from mass vaccination.

People can hang on now and have a gathering at Easter. Yeh, its a bit shit but its the sensible thing now.
    Cancel Christmas.

Announce a week long bank holiday next year, as a replacement. To be held 1 month after the vaccination rate reaches 90% of the population.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

Yep, Safe Harbor Day has come and gone, giving yet greater certainty to Biden's win, and the Betfair market has duly reacted -

Trump steams in to 20s.

It may not appear much in the news but the State of Texas, with the backing of a number of other states, is suing PA, GA Wisconsin and Michigan.

I'm no lawyer but the case involves changes to election rules made by the states being sued, which Texas alleges are illegal.

Only the Supreme Court can deliberate in legal disputes between states, as I understand it. This is serious.
    Much as you would like to see a Trump coup (for reasons that are entirely beyond me) this case is not serious, it's frivlolous. It has zero chance of success.
    If only because there's no way SCOTUS is going to open the door to states suing each other for enacting laws they don't like: for a start, states like NY with strong gun control laws would see the door open to sue states with weak gun control laws for enabling a supply of illegal firearms across state lines.
    Yes, agree on that, @rpjs, as you said, the ramifications would be huge if you took it to the logical conclusions and your example is a good one. Plenty of others too.

I guess (for me anyway) the real interesting question is why Texas (and others) have got themselves involved with this, especially as Texas has been cooperative with states on other matters and, as you said, you would assume the chances are close to zero. It could be a bit of virtual signalling to the Trump base that they tried to do something, it could be the Republicans trying to get SCOTUS to say something about common standards for federal elections or it could be Ted Cruz prodding the Texas AG to come out with this so it helps his chances with Trump / his fan base in 2024.
    They got involved because the politicians in question saw electoral value in the next Primary season from being seen as a big supporter of President Trump!

It's really that simple. It's exactly the same stupid reason - narrow, temporary political advantage - that sees Keir Starmer instagram a picture of himself on one knee.
    A nonsensical comparison.

The message "Black Lives Matter" has intrinsic worth.

The message "Trump Won the Election Really" is ludicrous.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    It does work actually - Boris can't cancel Christmas it for very similar reasons - though in his case it's more that his political capital is at an all time low. Nicola's is still quite high.
    It is still pretty clear that Mr J was being much happiuer about Christmas running riot than Ms S was. But then he's a short-term thinker.
  • Options
    This is a diabolically cynical suggestion but it madly could actually work.

https://twitter.com/JonAskonas/status/1336690583444856834?s=19
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

I'm genuinely shocked that this hasn't happened. It seems so blindingly obvious. I'd go as far as to say they should have shut the schools two weeks ago and said they can go back in mid-January or something.
  • Options

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Cancel Christmas.

Announce a week long bank holiday next year, as a replacement. To be held 1 month after the vaccination rate reaches 90% of the population.
    Christmas in the summer like downunder.
  • Options

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

That’s a reasonable position. I’m hoping more people align with it and Christmas isn’t a disaster.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    She’ll blame London and put the SNP up another 20 points in the polls, on past form.
    Yule is over-rated. Beltane is much better, and more comfortable here in Scotland😉
  • Options

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Cancel Christmas.

I’d be keen. Maybe the SG could move the summer bank holidays to actual summer.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yule is over-rated. Beltane is much better, and more comfortable here in Scotland😉
    It’s like Christmas except your slightly strange friend is painted red and running around with their bits out.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

Trump steams in to 20s.

Oh I'd agree with that which is why I think Cruz has got something to do with it (and with his comment he would have presented the PA case to SCOTUS).
    The case from TX has been described as a “press release masquerading as a lawsuit.” by a law professor.
    Which sounds like a fair description. However, other states have joined in, which may (or may not) have an influence. I'd be interested to see what happens if someone like Florida joined.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

The waiver has been issued twice, once in the 50s and then recently for Mattis.
    You're right. Marshall in the early 50s so he could oversee the Korean war. I found the piece in the Atlantic quite persuasive, I must say.
  • Options
    Wait until Bruno finds out who Her Majesty has honoured.

Sir Robert Mugabe for starters.
  • Options
    It is understood that chilled meats, sausages, mince and unfrozen prepared meals, which are prohibited and restricted from entering the EU from third countries, will be permitted for a period of time, pending a review by both sides.

And that once a derogation period has elapsed, Northern Ireland supermarkets will have to source such products locally or from the Republic.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1209/1183335-brexit/

And once the derogation lapses, presumably chilled meats, sausages, mince and unfrozen prepared meals, which are will be prohibited and restricted from entering the EU the UK from the Republic.......unless if the scheme is running fine its all quietly forgotten about....
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Ah, I'd read differently in a newspaper report - thanks.
    I suspect that the plans are pretty flexible at this stage until we see what happens. The reality has been that having an R rate under 1 and schools and Universities operating anything like normally has simply been incompatible.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

I'm genuinely shocked that this hasn't happened. It seems so blindingly obvious. I'd go as far as to say they should have shut the schools two weeks ago and said they can go back in mid-January or something.
    When the inquiry into the government's handling of the pandemic takes place, the Christmas hall pass will be up there with releasing Covid-19 patients back into care homes as avoidable disasters.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

I’m happy to stake my flag on the hill of “no one should honour shitty dictators” and assume good faith that neither Carlotta nor Bruno was taking a europhobic pop at Macron.
  • Options
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    No, it's time for our disingenuous Prime Minister and the wretched Conservative Party to "grow up".
  • Options

Ceaucescu as well.

Plus Jimmy Saville and Margaret Hodge, of course.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071

Foxy said:

UK R

From case data

From hospital data

Yes, it is looking bad again here. Inpatient numbers over 200 again after dropping to 170 or so last week, and we haven't seen the effect of unlocking yet.

Trust management have halted admissions for planned surgery, except daycases, and I saw an eye watering figure of 40% of respiratory unit staff off at present, gaps filled by the press-gang actively recruiting specialists from other areas. December is going to be grim.
    I fear January/February is going to redefine "grim".
    So it means something more like "gay"?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

When the inquiry into the government's handling of the pandemic takes place, the Christmas hall pass will be up there with releasing Covid-19 patients back into care homes as avoidable disasters.
    The list will be so long that one more or less scarcely matters.
  • Options

On the advice of her then Prime Minister John Major....in 1994.

Who advised Macron to do it, and if it was such a great idea, why did the French not issue any photographs?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

I really struggle to see the reason for it. So the people already against measures would call you a grinch (well, I've never heard abyone but an american use that expression though), so what? And maybe ignore restrictions, but most won't.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Cancel Christmas.

I’d be keen. Maybe the SG could move the summer bank holidays to actual summer.
    How do they know which weekend that is going to be in advance?
  • Options

Who advised Macron to do it, and if it was such a great idea, why did the French not issue any photographs?
    As we saw with the prorogation crisis the Queen will do anything her PM tells her to do, including unlawful stuff, and we call ourselves a democracy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

I really struggle to see the reason for it. So the people already against measures would call you a grinch (well, I've never heard abyone but an american use that expression though), so what? And maybe ignore restrictions, but most won't.
    The only plausible reason I've heard is that the government thought people would meet up at Christmas no matter what the government said that this was their way of trying to control it some way.
  • Options

This is a diabolically cynical suggestion but it madly could actually work.

https://twitter.com/JonAskonas/status/1336690583444856834?s=19

In this country it would be the Oxford vaccine for patriotic Tory voters, and Pfizer/BioNTech for the rest of us.

Sounds like a brilliant idea.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Trouble is that keeping schools open(ish) is about the only success the government can point to apart from buying lots of vaccines.
    At least one academy trust planned to close a week early and were told "not on your nelly" by the DfE.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

As we saw with the prorogation crisis the Queen will do anything her PM tells her to do, including unlawful stuff, and we call ourselves a democracy.
    It was only judged unlawful by the Supreme Court. The Queens Bench (itself comprising a very strong bench for that ruling) had previously ruled it was legal.

Who's a Queen to believe?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

That’s a reasonable position. I’m hoping more people align with it and Christmas isn’t a disaster.
    Absolutely. I've turned down two invitations already, with friendly regrets. If the vaccine hadn't been in sight, I might not have.
  • Options

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

The only plausible reason I've heard is that the government thought people would meet up at Christmas no matter what the government said that this was their way of trying to control it some way.
    Essentially just giving up for a bit is not a way of controlling it. They could still have tried.
  • Options

Your attempts at royalist trolling are usually a bit too absurd to work as they are not believable, but I honestly cannot tell if you mean this one - surely if she does what the PM tells her to do it proves our calling ourselves a democracy is absolutely correct. And his decision to advise her to do it was found to be unlawful, so it all worked out.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Trouble is that keeping schools open(ish) is about the only success the government can point to apart from buying lots of vaccines.
    At least one academy trust planned to close a week early and were told "not on your nelly" by the DfE.
    I actually think opening schools and universities was a big mistake.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Tell me about it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

OnboardG1 said:

I thought the "jolly careful" catchphrase was a good one. Corny but Christmas is always corny. Should be repeated more often until everyone is rolling their eyes at it (but the message has gotten through).
    Not strong enough and obscured by appearing to be a Boris jest. People will mingle while perhaps trying to remember to be careful, and then they'll have a glaass or two and... Like the earlier injunction to "be alert", it doesn't cause any change of action, unlike NOT getting together and risk killing each other.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited December 2020

Our constitution is based on Crown in Parliament, the Crown will never overturn a bill passed by both Houses of Parliament but otherwise the PM has full prerogative powers over the rest as the Crown's chief minister
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Our constitution is based on Crown in Parliament, the Crown will never overturn a bill passed by both Houses of Parliament but otherwise the PM has full prerogative powers over the rest as the Crown's chief minister
    So if Parliament passed a modern day Edict of Expulsion the Queen would pass it?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Universities, yes. Not schools.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Indeed and universities could have been opened "remotely".
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

Trump steams in to 20s.

Which sounds like a fair description. However, other states have joined in, which may (or may not) have an influence. I'd be interested to see what happens if someone like Florida joined.
    It doesn't matter one tiny bit who joins and who doesn't. The issue is whether there is any legal weight at all in the substantive arguments. Clue - there isn't.

As throughout this process, you just don't understand how the law works. You think it's all about what the President tweets and who signs up to what lawsuit, but it's all about the case being made.

And, here, the immovable object is that Trump has always been demanding many thousands of unarguably lawful ballots to be thrown out because a handful of crazies, alcoholic ex-strippers, and perhaps even one or two concerned citizens claim a minor irregularity here and there (which of course there are in a 150 million vote election). Now that's moved to claiming those votes should be thrown out because, whilst cast in good faith, Texas have had a little think about it and they'd not have run their election exactly like Michigan. Whether the AG of Florida, or Kanye, or the Pope, or whoever sign up to that tosh means sod all - the whole tragic enterprise has always been going nowhere.
  • Options
    I have a question about this chart... doesn't this mean not only is Pfizer jab highly effective after a week after a single jab, but weren't a significant number of the positives in the vaccine group already positive when they actually go their jab? Were they not testing before you got injected? Or is there some sort of adjustment in their data?

https://twitter.com/deniswirtz/status/1336368646768259082?s=19
  • Options
    I don't think next year will be that bad for deaths - check out the impact Pfizer has:

https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1336683275209863168?s=19
  • Options
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:

So if Parliament passed a modern day Edict of Expulsion the Queen would pass it?
    Wouldn't matter if she did or not. The second a monarch doesn't given royal assent parliament would either get rid of the monarchy or pass a rule that worked around it, like Belgium did according to wikipedia.

There's many reasons to have a republic - pretending to be mad that the monarch doesn't exercise actual power to overrule the democratic representatives (even doing something awful) is not one of them. At least not one someone could claim with a straight face. "It's crazy we have a monarch in a democratic society; and did you hear how they didn't go against the democratic parliament?"
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

We’ve coped pretty well at mine, no huge outbreaks, mix of in person and remote teaching, and kept clinical (pharmacy) and science practicals going. I’ve even managed to get useful results from undergrad projects. So not impossible. Clearly the advent of the vaccine changes things, and if we had known for sure it would be here when it was, different choices might have been better. But we didn’t know that vaccines would work and be available so soon, so had to plan for life with the virus.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

It's one thing to re-open (or more accurately, widen the opening) of schools, and a good thing. Get everyone in (say) 1 day a week- so that nobody falls off the radar as happened in spring. Get key kids in more than that- up to full time for some. But business as usual was a foreseeable mistake.

But acknowledge that running at full capacity does increase transmission in the community and was always likely to. And that schools simply don't have to spare capacity of people, energy or money to cope- the schools I know have had multiple part-closures and the teachers are running on fumes. On top of which, it seems set to get worse before it gets better.

But arrogant wishful thinking is this government's signature move.
  • Options
    Interesting that Lombardy and New York (state) hit hard in the second wave, London seems to have escaped.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1336735294851264513?s=19
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

I have a question about this chart... doesn't this mean not only is Pfizer jab highly effective after a week after a single jab, but weren't a significant number of the positives in the vaccine group already positive when they actually go their jab? Were they not testing before you got injected? Or is there some sort of adjustment in their data?

So long as the placebo group was treated the same as the vaccine group is the main thing
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833
    edited December 2020

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

No. After six months on my sofa, it was great to see Fox jr2 getting back on with life in London. Obviously not the full Monty, but he is studying hard, and socialising in a responsible way, rather than just drifting.

Same with schools. Life cannot be on hold forever.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Not for everything. Some courses need practical time or clinical training.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:

Under our constitutional monarchy yes, in that case the voters would clearly have elected a Corbynite or latter day Mosley led Parliament with bells on but that is democracy. You would just try and elect a sensible Parliament the next time, the one thing she would likely do is refuse to extend a Parliament beyond 5 years without a general election beforehand
  • Options

Interesting that Lombardy and New York (state) hit hard in the second wave, London seems to have escaped.

Maybe, I hope I'm wrong, I saw some stats earlier which showed London really was heading for Tier 3.
  • Options
    Not that there's there nothing to it, but wasn't expecting this story quite so soon.

Rich countries are hoarding doses of Covid vaccines and people living in poor countries are set to miss out, a coalition of campaigning bodies warns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55229894
  • Options

Maybe, I hope I'm wrong, I saw some stats earlier which showed London really was heading for Tier 3.
    I should have prefaced with so far. I haven't checked the past couple of weeks, so you might be right that the situation is heading the wrong direction.
  • Options

I think single dose for the Pfizer jab will make a lot of people immune to a large extent, and this will start to impact on cases some time in mid to late jan.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090

Scott_xP said:
    I smoked the cigarette, but did not inhale...
    wonder who used his phone to send all those whatsapp messages
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833

://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1336735294851264513?s=19

Don't speak too soon 🤞
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

Trump steams in to 20s.

If you were an ambitious Secretary of State in Wyoming or Florida or wherever, why wouldn't you sign up?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not that there's there nothing to it, but wasn't expecting this story quite so soon.

Rich countries are hoarding doses of Covid vaccines and people living in poor countries are set to miss out, a coalition of campaigning bodies warns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55229894

I'll try and find the link but I did read that some of the tourist destination poor countries are offering silly money for the vaccine so as a vaccinated country holidaymakers will pile back.
This discussion has been closed.