Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

WH2020 passes another milestone making Trump’s effort to discredit the results even more challenging

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

the cesspit that is the SNP for more than 20 years

You seem to be getting a bit unhinged about this lately. Coming from a Tory it also inspires cogitations upon motes and beams.
    I am not a member of the Tory party. And their decision to cancel the exams yesterday really pissed me off.

But even the SNP themselves have acknowledged that some of their keyboard warriors are less than helpful to the cause.
    Yep, well keyboard warriors do not a party make, as I'm sure the SCons would be the first to claim when the assorted Union flag shaggers, racists, Trumpers, sectarian bigots and bleach drinkers who tweet support for them are highlighted. Well, the SCons who aren't any of these things anyway.
    Talking of the Tories it is this kind of penetrating insight that must have them laughing/shaking in their boots about May: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/alister-jack-brands-snp-a-campaigning-organisation-for-independence/ar-BB1bMil6?ocid=msedgntp

The SNP is apparently an organisation campaigning for independence. Why knew? 🤷‍♀️
    It certainly induces a weary sense of déjà vu.
    Since a goodly portion of indy support appears to believe that the SNP are not campaigning for independence, perhaps Union Jack should try the SNP are anti independence line, for variety if nothing else.
    I'm just amazed that Ruth never noticed this. I am sure she would have brought it up.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2020
    Edward Colston statue: Four (more) charged with criminal damage

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-55248263

I notice that all the previous individuals got far less of a punishment than pissy man, who a) handed himself in and b) caused no permanent damage to anything other than his own reputation.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Why are the French and Germans so paranoid that a post-Brexit UK is going to have such a massive trading advantage over the EU when we are no longer bound by EU regulation?
    We know that some regulations have a cost in competitiveness, but are still worth doing. The reason the EU has common standards is because otherwise there's a perverse incentive to try to undercut each other, particularly on health and environmental issues. The same goes for tax - if the ideal rate to maximize welfare is X but you split governance up into competing zones, they'll set it to below X.

A lot of Brexit enthusiasts have been pretty clear that if they can get market access they plan to undercut the EU with lower taxes and regulations. The EU won't grant the market access they want under these conditions, because they're not total and utter idiots.
    But the amusing thing is that the main people who are aghast at the idea the UK may gain from lower taxes are the same people who deny the existence of the Laffer Curve.

Anyway they are total and utter idiots if they think they can hold back the tide by making everyone equally uncompetitive. There's a reason much of manufacturing has been exported to the Far East - we operate on a global not local market. The "Single Market" and access to it is more a polite fiction than reality.
    You don't insist on everyone in global trade having *equal* standards because people understand that poorer countries will have lower standards than rich ones, and it matters less if the other countries are more distant and more different. But other trade agreements like the TPP also have requirements for environmental and labour standards. It's just not true that there's completely seamless world trade or that there's nothing countries can do to stop themselves being undercut.
    So countries like South Korea, Japan etc that we import a lot from have lower standards because they're poorer do they?

Labour and environmental standards in TPP are nothing like the standards required in the EU because the TPP quite rationally as a modern, sane, 21st century trade accord recognises the bulk of that to be issues for national governments not a trade agreement. That is part of what makes the TPP a far superior trade body to the EU going forwards and one I hope the UK joins imminently.
    Japan and SK are further away, more different (so less likelihood of being undercut in a market you compete in directly) and have less seamless trade, so it's less important to - say - Germany to align regulatory standards than with France or the UK. However I don't think it's true to say the countries you mention are less regulated than the EU, and Japanese businesses definitely aren't less taxed.

Anyhow where I came in wasn't about how much alignment you want to be operating under, it was somebody wondering why the EU was worried about this. A common theme we see with British people who don't like the EU is that despite arguing about it a lot they don't seem to understand why it exists, which makes their expectations of what it will do very unreliable.
    Distance is irrelevant. It is a garbage argument used by pro-Europeans as an excuse to try and get the UK aligned with Europe.

If anyone disagrees with this then please do so using an electronic device made in Europe and not shipped in from a distance away.

Yes closer distance helps with some trade but the principles of trade and competitive advantage span the globe for good reason.
    Distance is one of the main determinants of bilateral trade flows, as any trade economist will tell you. The gravity model of trade is extremely powerful. There is a reason why we export more to Ireland than to China...
    Export not import, why only look at one of of the equation? Was your phone, tablet or computer you typed that on imported from Ireland or from China? Do we import more from Ireland or China?

Absolutely we may trade more with neighbours but that is irrelevant to competitive advantage being a good thing. That doesn't excuse protectionism.
    We import more from China than from Ireland, but imports from Ireland are 60% of those from China, while the Irish economy is 3% of the size of China's. So why do we import 20x more from Ireland than from China, relative to the size of those economies? Because we are neighbours of Ireland, and on the other side of the globe from China. Your argument was that "Distance is irrelevant. It is a garbage argument used by pro-Europeans as an excuse to try and get the UK aligned with Europe." The garbage argument is your claim that distance is an irrelevance.
    It is not irrelevant to volumes of trade, it is irrelevant to whether trade is good or bad.

If you believe as I do that competitive advantage is real and a good thing then that applies for your nearest neighbours and furthest partners.

If you believe as Trump does in protectionism then that applies to near neighbours or distanced nations.

Distance shouldn't change principles. There is no reason why distance imports are magically better or worse, safer or more dangerous than near ones.

My point if you read what I wrote was about "principles" not volume.
    To be honest I can't even understand what you are trying to argue, but you certainly said that distance was unimportant for trade, which is patently false. Whether trade is "good" or "bad" is a question for a theologian, not an economist.
    Bullshit that is not what I said. I said that closer distance helps with trade.

Whether trade is good or bad is absolute an economic question. Or was David Ricardo a theologian?
    Go and read your own posts.
    Ricardo's theory of comparative advantage shows that trade is mutually beneficial, but it abstracts from distributional questions within each country, where to make a judgement about whether opening up to trade that is good for some people but bad for others (eg cheap goods vs factories closing down) is good or bad overall requires some kind of moral judgement about who matters more. Taken literally all trade must be good since it is voluntary exchange and so it wouldn't take place unless both parties were better off. But if that were the end of it we would have global free trade.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Well, in fairness we are talking about the Punjab, about Muslim farmers, a very Hindu dominated government and religious tensions. It would be a bit naive to think that the relationship between Pakistan and India was irrelevant to that or indeed our interest in the matter given that both sides are nuclear powers.
    Must say the Indian agricultural reforms had passed me by till WATO today.
    But then, I'm not PM or an ex-FS.
    The WATO report seemed to suggest it was far more than Moslems in Punjab who were upset. A large part of Modi's voter base too.
    PS, was astonished to learn India still has more than half the population employed in agriculture.
    IANAE but I don't find the theory that Pakistan might be seeking to stir trouble in the Punjab that far fetched, whatever the merits of the cause.

More than 50% in agriculture? India is so far behind China, its weird.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

I notice that all the previous individuals got far less of a punishment than pissy man, who a) handed himself in and b) caused no permanent damage to anything other than his own reputation.

You are too smart a person @FrancisUrquhart to not know the answer for that :)
  • Options
    New Cases...
    England 12,960
    NI 483
    Scotland 897
    Wales 2,238
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    edited December 2020
    DavidL said:

Well, in fairness we are talking about the Punjab, about Muslim farmers, a very Hindu dominated government and religious tensions. It would be a bit naive to think that the relationship between Pakistan and India was irrelevant to that or indeed our interest in the matter given that both sides are nuclear powers.
    It's an interesting story - on one side you have arguments about unwinding a system that resembles the CAP in some ways: maximise food production by subsidising farmers. On the other you have arguments about the protection of the small farmers vs Big Agriculture, and price controls for food.

Reducing the subsidies will reduce the amount off money being transferred to the Punjab - given the Modi governments sectarianism this would be a plus. That and leaving more money for them to steal....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,944
    edited December 2020
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

the cesspit that is the SNP for more than 20 years

You seem to be getting a bit unhinged about this lately. Coming from a Tory it also inspires cogitations upon motes and beams.
    I am not a member of the Tory party. And their decision to cancel the exams yesterday really pissed me off.

But even the SNP themselves have acknowledged that some of their keyboard warriors are less than helpful to the cause.
    Yep, well keyboard warriors do not a party make, as I'm sure the SCons would be the first to claim when the assorted Union flag shaggers, racists, Trumpers, sectarian bigots and bleach drinkers who tweet support for them are highlighted. Well, the SCons who aren't any of these things anyway.
    Talking of the Tories it is this kind of penetrating insight that must have them laughing/shaking in their boots about May: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/alister-jack-brands-snp-a-campaigning-organisation-for-independence/ar-BB1bMil6?ocid=msedgntp

The SNP is apparently an organisation campaigning for independence. Why knew? 🤷‍♀️
    It certainly induces a weary sense of déjà vu.
    Since a goodly portion of indy support appears to believe that the SNP are not campaigning for independence, perhaps Union Jack should try the SNP are anti independence line, for variety if nothing else.
    I'm just amazed that Ruth never noticed this. I am sure she would have brought it up.
    The SCUP would have had to trash its entire branding strategy, not to mention every last bit of bumf for 3 years: "Ruth's Say No to Independence Party", remember? With 'Conservatives' in [edit] the tiniest print.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,726
    That is shockingly bad from Bozo. Did his brain just hear the word "India" and jumped to the first thought vaguely related?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Muslim farmers? I think not.
  • Options

His sentence was more to do with the fact he got his todger out in a public place.

Outraging the public decency has some strict sentencing guidelines.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    DavidL said:

Sigh. You just made the same mistake as Boris.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

That would be the special 'super-slow, super-soft' setting the authorities use when investigating Wokeists.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Why are the French and Germans so paranoid that a post-Brexit UK is going to have such a massive trading advantage over the EU when we are no longer bound by EU regulation?
    We know that some regulations have a cost in competitiveness, but are still worth doing. The reason the EU has common standards is because otherwise there's a perverse incentive to try to undercut each other, particularly on health and environmental issues. The same goes for tax - if the ideal rate to maximize welfare is X but you split governance up into competing zones, they'll set it to below X.

A lot of Brexit enthusiasts have been pretty clear that if they can get market access they plan to undercut the EU with lower taxes and regulations. The EU won't grant the market access they want under these conditions, because they're not total and utter idiots.
    But the amusing thing is that the main people who are aghast at the idea the UK may gain from lower taxes are the same people who deny the existence of the Laffer Curve.

Anyway they are total and utter idiots if they think they can hold back the tide by making everyone equally uncompetitive. There's a reason much of manufacturing has been exported to the Far East - we operate on a global not local market. The "Single Market" and access to it is more a polite fiction than reality.
    You don't insist on everyone in global trade having *equal* standards because people understand that poorer countries will have lower standards than rich ones, and it matters less if the other countries are more distant and more different. But other trade agreements like the TPP also have requirements for environmental and labour standards. It's just not true that there's completely seamless world trade or that there's nothing countries can do to stop themselves being undercut.
    So countries like South Korea, Japan etc that we import a lot from have lower standards because they're poorer do they?

Labour and environmental standards in TPP are nothing like the standards required in the EU because the TPP quite rationally as a modern, sane, 21st century trade accord recognises the bulk of that to be issues for national governments not a trade agreement. That is part of what makes the TPP a far superior trade body to the EU going forwards and one I hope the UK joins imminently.
    Japan and SK are further away, more different (so less likelihood of being undercut in a market you compete in directly) and have less seamless trade, so it's less important to - say - Germany to align regulatory standards than with France or the UK. However I don't think it's true to say the countries you mention are less regulated than the EU, and Japanese businesses definitely aren't less taxed.

Anyhow where I came in wasn't about how much alignment you want to be operating under, it was somebody wondering why the EU was worried about this. A common theme we see with British people who don't like the EU is that despite arguing about it a lot they don't seem to understand why it exists, which makes their expectations of what it will do very unreliable.
    Distance is irrelevant. It is a garbage argument used by pro-Europeans as an excuse to try and get the UK aligned with Europe.

If anyone disagrees with this then please do so using an electronic device made in Europe and not shipped in from a distance away.

Yes closer distance helps with some trade but the principles of trade and competitive advantage span the globe for good reason.
    Distance is one of the main determinants of bilateral trade flows, as any trade economist will tell you. The gravity model of trade is extremely powerful. There is a reason why we export more to Ireland than to China...
    Export not import, why only look at one of of the equation? Was your phone, tablet or computer you typed that on imported from Ireland or from China? Do we import more from Ireland or China?

Absolutely we may trade more with neighbours but that is irrelevant to competitive advantage being a good thing. That doesn't excuse protectionism.
    We import more from China than from Ireland, but imports from Ireland are 60% of those from China, while the Irish economy is 3% of the size of China's. So why do we import 20x more from Ireland than from China, relative to the size of those economies? Because we are neighbours of Ireland, and on the other side of the globe from China. Your argument was that "Distance is irrelevant. It is a garbage argument used by pro-Europeans as an excuse to try and get the UK aligned with Europe." The garbage argument is your claim that distance is an irrelevance.
    It is not irrelevant to volumes of trade, it is irrelevant to whether trade is good or bad.

If you believe as I do that competitive advantage is real and a good thing then that applies for your nearest neighbours and furthest partners.

If you believe as Trump does in protectionism then that applies to near neighbours or distanced nations.

Distance shouldn't change principles. There is no reason why distance imports are magically better or worse, safer or more dangerous than near ones.

My point if you read what I wrote was about "principles" not volume.
    To be honest I can't even understand what you are trying to argue, but you certainly said that distance was unimportant for trade, which is patently false. Whether trade is "good" or "bad" is a question for a theologian, not an economist.
    Bullshit that is not what I said. I said that closer distance helps with trade.

Whether trade is good or bad is absolute an economic question. Or was David Ricardo a theologian?
    Go and read your own posts.
    Ricardo's theory of comparative advantage shows that trade is mutually beneficial, but it abstracts from distributional questions within each country, where to make a judgement about whether opening up to trade that is good for some people but bad for others (eg cheap goods vs factories closing down) is good or bad overall requires some kind of moral judgement about who matters more. Taken literally all trade must be good since it is voluntary exchange and so it wouldn't take place unless both parties were better off. But if that were the end of it we would have global free trade.
    Yes my own post explicitly said that closer distance helps with trade, but it doesn't change the principles of competitive advantage. So you responding by saying that closer distance means more trade doesn't counter any of what I wrote since it literally said the same thing I had literally written. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yes absolutely we should have global free trade. That's why we should leave behind protectionist statist trading blocs that are a 1950s answer to a 1930s problem and embrace global free trade instead. On that I agree absolutely, hence all the talk of global Britain did you miss that?

But you've not given any rational reason why it is a good idea for to have a free trade agreement with eg Canada but not the UK. Competitive advantage works for both, but the gravity means that the advantages they get for trading with Canada are multiplied with the UK. Since presumably they found the Canadian deal worthwhile a UK one ought to be even more so.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    edited December 2020

DavidL said:

It's an interesting story - on one side you have arguments about unwinding a system that resembles the CAP in some ways: maximise food production by subsidising farmers. On the other you have arguments about the protection of the small farmers vs Big Agriculture, and price controls for food.

Reducing the subsidies will reduce the amount off money being transferred to the Punjab - given the Modi governments sectarianism this would be a plus. That and leaving more money for them to steal....
    AIUI, they are removing the State run middleman with guaranteed prices, and allowing direct sales. This will have effects nationwide. Although disproportionately in the Punjab.
    And, yes, Pakistan will do all it can to stir the pot, of course.
    Long term India needs fewer in farming, and more in schools, if it wants to move forward any more.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

His sentence was more to do with the fact he got his todger out in a public place.

That's even more ridiculous then, because every normal night of the week, somebody does something exactly the same in every town up and down the country....and hardly like he just whipped it out and was parading about.

We would need to take back Australia as a prison colony if we are going to lock up everybody who does that.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

The WATO report seemed to suggest it was far more than Moslems in Punjab who were upset. A large part of Modi's voter base too.
    PS, was astonished to learn India still has more than half the population employed in agriculture.
    They're not Muslims. The turbans are a bit of a clue.
  • Options

That's even more ridiculous then, because every normal night of the week, somebody does something exactly the same in every town up and down the country....and hardly like he just whipped it out and was parading about.

We would need to take back Australia as a prison colony if we are going to lock up everybody who does that.
    Yebbut you said 'night'. And pishing next to a MEMORIAL in broad daylight is not like pishing in someone's wally close on the way home from the pubs in the Cowgate or Bigg Market. (Though I do agree he was hard done by.)
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

Yep, Safe Harbor Day has come and gone, giving yet greater certainty to Biden's win, and the Betfair market has duly reacted -

Trump steams in to 20s.

It may not appear much in the news but the State of Texas, with the backing of a number of other states, is suing PA, GA Wisconsin and Michigan.

I'm no lawyer but the case involves changes to election rules made by the states being sued, which Texas alleges are illegal.

Only the Supreme Court can deliberate in legal disputes between states, as I understand it. This is serious.
    Much as you would like to see a Trump coup (for reasons that are entirely beyond me) this case is not serious, it's frivlolous. It has zero chance of success.
    If only because there's no way SCOTUS is going to open the door to states suing each other for enacting laws they don't like: for a start, states like NY with strong gun control laws would see the door open to sue states with weak gun control laws for enabling a supply of illegal firearms across state lines.
    Yes, agree on that, @rpjs, as you said, the ramifications would be huge if you took it to the logical conclusions and your example is a good one. Plenty of others too.

I guess (for me anyway) the real interesting question is why Texas (and others) have got themselves involved with this, especially as Texas has been cooperative with states on other matters and, as you said, you would assume the chances are close to zero. It could be a bit of virtual signalling to the Trump base that they tried to do something, it could be the Republicans trying to get SCOTUS to say something about common standards for federal elections or it could be Ted Cruz prodding the Texas AG to come out with this so it helps his chances with Trump / his fan base in 2024.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020

I've taken a whizz against a wall plenty of times in my life. That's a ridiculous notion.

It's not like he was waving his todger in somebodies face.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    The coronavirus situation in Wales is "very difficult" but not out of control, according to the country's first minister. Mark Drakeford defended his government's decision to have a short lockdown of 17 days in the autumn. It comes as Wales' top doctor says ministers are considering whether new measures might be needed before Christmas.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-55245053

I would hate to see what the numbers would be accelerating like if it wasn't out of control. The worst thing about his approach is that yet again he has boxed himself in by saying absolutely no to any new restrictions until after Christmas. So another month of inaction.
  • Options
    Another chance to revisit the "No good Brie" sketch...

BBC: "Tesco: Brexit 'could see people choose cheddar over brie'"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55246703
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,607
    edited December 2020

It's not so much that, it is what he urinated on that was also an aggravating factor, he received a very lenient sentence he was sentenced to 14 days, IIRC a few years a woman was sentenced to six months for urinating on a war memorial.

Edit - Here's the story, from 2016, and she was sentenced to seven months, not six.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/20/seven-months-in-jail-for-kelly-martin-woman-who-twice-urinated-on-war-memorial
  • Options

The coronavirus situation in Wales is "very difficult" but not out of control, according to the country's first minister. Mark Drakeford defended his government's decision to have a short lockdown of 17 days in the autumn. It comes as Wales' top doctor says ministers are considering whether new measures might be needed before Christmas.

I would hate to see what the numbers would be accelerating like if it wasn't out of control. The worst thing about his approach is that yet again he has boxed himself in by saying absolutely no to any new restrictions until after Christmas. So another month of inaction.

He is simply blaming the public for his failings
  • Options

It's not so much that, it is what he urinated on that was also an aggravating factor, he received a very lenient sentence he was sentenced to 14 days, IIRC a few years a woman was sentenced to six months for urinating on a war memorial months.

Edit - Here's the story, from 2016, and she was sentenced to seven months, not six.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/20/seven-months-in-jail-for-kelly-martin-woman-who-twice-urinated-on-war-memorial
    That makes far more sense than saying it's about a todger.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Carnyx said:

Yebbut you said 'night'. And pishing next to a MEMORIAL in broad daylight is not like pishing in someone's wally close on the way home from the pubs in the Cowgate or Bigg Market. (Though I do agree he was hard done by.)
    It wasn't so much he was hard done by (although IMO prison seemed over the top and surely the sort of moronic crime that some community work would be a great idea for), but the contrast against statue topplers and those attacking the cenotaph, who got no real punishment at all.

One was a guy who is a moron, doing something moronic, but no actual damage to anything. And he handed himself in the next morning. The others damaging public property and had to be tracked down.
  • Options
    Yeah, I really shouldn't have googled something beginning with 'Woman urinates on...'

It's brought up so many disturbing search results.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

They're not Muslims. The turbans are a bit of a clue.
    I wasn't the one suggesting they were.
    That would be the PM. Who when asked about it withered on about Pakistan.
    Edit. Withered is autocorrect. But I like it.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

It's not so much that, it is what he urinated on that was also an aggravating factor, he received a very lenient sentence he was sentenced to 14 days, IIRC a few years a woman was sentenced to six months for urinating on a war memorial.

But (attempting) to set fire to one, got two individuals basically no punishment at all.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Carnyx said:

It wasn't so much he was hard done by (although IMO prison seemed over the top and surely the sort of moronic crime that some community work would be a great idea for), but the contrast against statue topplers and those attacking the cenotaph, who got no real punishment at all.

One was a guy who is a moron, doing something moronic, but no actual damage to anything. And he handed himself in the next morning. The others damaging public property and had to be tracked down.
    Yeah, the intent is totally different.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    Are Sky going to have any correspondents left by the end of the day? :D
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    UK local R

• Options
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

Are Sky going to have any correspondents left by the end of the day? :D

Death Rigby getting herself suspended, has done us all a favour, it nearly makes Sky News watchable. I wonder what far flung corner of the globe she is going on to go on a jolly to in the meantime?
  • Options

But (attempting) to set fire to one, got two individuals basically no punishment at all.
    Which war memorial are you talking about?
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options

DavidL said:

Sigh. You just made the same mistake as Boris.
    You're assuming it is a mistake.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    edited December 2020

A teenager who attempted to burn the Union Flag at The Cenotaph during an anti-racism protest in London has today avoided a jail sentence. Judge Christopher Hehir instead today gave him a two-year conditional discharge and ordered him to pay £340 in court costs.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/03/protester-19-who-tried-to-set-union-flag-alight-on-cenotaph-avoids-jail-13696832

Also, unlike pissy man,

Shanice Mahmud, prosecuting, said: 'Demonstrators were showing aggressive behaviour towards police and, as they reached the long side of the Cenotaph, missiles and bottles were being thrown at them.

'The defendant was at the front of the group, and he was being hostile and aggressive. They could see he was aggressive, confrontational, and was swinging his arms.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9014643/Black-Lives-Matter-activist-tried-torch-Union-Flag-let-off.html
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    MrEd said:

rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

Yep, Safe Harbor Day has come and gone, giving yet greater certainty to Biden's win, and the Betfair market has duly reacted -

Trump steams in to 20s.

It may not appear much in the news but the State of Texas, with the backing of a number of other states, is suing PA, GA Wisconsin and Michigan.

I'm no lawyer but the case involves changes to election rules made by the states being sued, which Texas alleges are illegal.

Only the Supreme Court can deliberate in legal disputes between states, as I understand it. This is serious.
    Much as you would like to see a Trump coup (for reasons that are entirely beyond me) this case is not serious, it's frivlolous. It has zero chance of success.
    If only because there's no way SCOTUS is going to open the door to states suing each other for enacting laws they don't like: for a start, states like NY with strong gun control laws would see the door open to sue states with weak gun control laws for enabling a supply of illegal firearms across state lines.
    Yes, agree on that, @rpjs, as you said, the ramifications would be huge if you took it to the logical conclusions and your example is a good one. Plenty of others too.

I guess (for me anyway) the real interesting question is why Texas (and others) have got themselves involved with this, especially as Texas has been cooperative with states on other matters and, as you said, you would assume the chances are close to zero. It could be a bit of virtual signalling to the Trump base that they tried to do something, it could be the Republicans trying to get SCOTUS to say something about common standards for federal elections or it could be Ted Cruz prodding the Texas AG to come out with this so it helps his chances with Trump / his fan base in 2024.
    They got involved because the politicians in question saw electoral value in the next Primary season from being seen as a big supporter of President Trump!

It's really that simple. It's exactly the same stupid reason - narrow, temporary political advantage - that sees Keir Starmer instagram a picture of himself on one knee.
  • Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospital data

• Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346
    Real world brexit impact alert (with the foreword that I don't think it will be a cataclysm, more a depressing series of corrosive irritations):

I just got a quote for a new PCB I'm designing. The boards are on a ten day lead time. That should be done before the new year (hopefully). The embuggerance is going to be that my board might not get populated any time soon because the integrated circuits come from Europe. I can live with three weeks delay but that's going to be a nightmare for anyone who makes them en masse. Honestly, I'm less annoyed with the government threatening a no deal exit and more pissed off with them for not at least having the decency to hire a bunch of redundant retail workers to process border documentation and failing to have proper customs facilities ready. The tarriff rates aren't going to be fun but it's the snarl up in the transit that's going to really hurt and that's all on HMG not being ready for an outcome they keep threatening.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Perhaps Pennsylvania may raise a case against Texas!!!!
    Looks like the Civil war all over again. United States, someone is having a laugh.
    After their curt dismissive "decision" over the Penn case yesterday it is hard seeing this going anywhere but you never know.
    We struggle on towards the 14th and the Electoral College.
    Is there no-one in the States to grasp the nettle and just elect the President on a national popular vote.
  • Options
    That regional r rate data looks like January isn't going to be much fun at all.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:
    God I hope that some no mark minion put this out in his name to bolster his man of the people image. He surely has at least 1 more important matter to focus on.
    Blair even got involved in the Deirdre storyline

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/20/deirdre-rachid-free-the-weatherfield-one-coronation-street_n_6505414.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAJQG3ACQB0IyoZt_6YWj5tu3fKmgwhMPPPdp-q9jlO542fCDiqyY7i_VkZsj_AKd2Ib3HjGZzDHOg6bIPFPAr8ewtzXZO_mVyNawEkAvjkYHYF9sFT3yDj4U4Kaf9Lrsp5ozSOa4sNFdE6-fo2uLRIGZnZa2FePRU1YFDfXs_vr

Though none went as far as Wilson who I believe asked the BBC to cancel Steptoe and Son on election night 1964 to maximise Labour turnout
    Harold! You WILY old man. ☺
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

Trump steams in to 20s.

They got involved because the politicians in question saw electoral value in the next Primary season from being seen as a big supporter of President Trump!

It's really that simple. It's exactly the same stupid reason - narrow, temporary political advantage - that sees Keir Starmer instagram a picture of himself on one knee.
    I thought that was just to give us all a good laugh and OGH a replacement for the Corbyn photo in his evening finery. Are you suggesting he was serious?
  • Options

Another chance to revisit the "No good Brie" sketch...

BBC: "Tesco: Brexit 'could see people choose cheddar over brie'"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55246703

Well, we've known for a while that we're heading for a hard Brie-xit.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I think we are in a race.

Between the vaccinations and everyone in tier 3/a "lockdown"
  • Options

A teenager who attempted to burn the Union Flag at The Cenotaph during an anti-racism protest in London has today avoided a jail sentence. Judge Christopher Hehir instead today gave him a two-year conditional discharge and ordered him to pay £340 in court costs.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/03/protester-19-who-tried-to-set-union-flag-alight-on-cenotaph-avoids-jail-13696832

Also, unlike pissy man,

Shanice Mahmud, prosecuting, said: 'Demonstrators were showing aggressive behaviour towards police and, as they reached the long side of the Cenotaph, missiles and bottles were being thrown at them.

'The defendant was at the front of the group, and he was being hostile and aggressive. They could see he was aggressive, confrontational, and was swinging his arms.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9014643/Black-Lives-Matter-activist-tried-torch-Union-Flag-let-off.html
    Thanks, Charlie Gilmour must have been pissed off about that.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I think we are in a race.

Between the vaccinations and everyone in tier 3/a "lockdown"
    With the Christmas hall pass, we are weighing it heavily on the 3rd lockdown side.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Was anyone thinking they wouldn't?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,834

UK R

From case data

From hospital data

Yes, it is looking bad again here. Inpatient numbers over 200 again after dropping to 170 or so last week, and we haven't seen the effect of unlocking yet.

Trust management have halted admissions for planned surgery, except daycases, and I saw an eye watering figure of 40% of respiratory unit staff off at present, gaps filled by the press-gang actively recruiting specialists from other areas. December is going to be grim.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Our PM.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    I'd need to find it but I read this morning (might have been sky news) that only 13% of people were planning on meeting at Christmas before the relaxations were announced. It's now 33%. Perhaps a sense of "The government says we can do it so it must be okay?". I thought the Christmas relaxation was probably neccessary because otherwise people would just say fuck it and take the piss, but I'm really starting to think that it wasn't a good plan now.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:
    Not for Tory Corrie fans like me
    I suppose you admired the ghastly Mike Baldwin for his "wealth-creating" business activities.
    Although, in his favour, he did punch Ken Barlow in the Rovers.
    Yes. Think that was over Dierdre. She was the Anita Pallenberg of the Street.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Yep, currently rising at a rate of 50% week-over-week, which translates to a doubling time of 12 days.

They do have the measures modelled on Scottish level 3 that came in last Friday, which should stabilize the numbers from early next week. But they'll probably be well above 400/week/100,000 by then, and they need to do more to actually bring them down.

Anyone in Welsh Labour who could shove Drakeford out of the way and try to get a handle on things?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    There is a difference between permitted and should. Many, including my family, will not gather this Christmas because it is not sensible to do so. Others may choose to take a different decision. The question is whether they should (a) be advised not to be so silly and (b) fined for being so silly (assuming the cops show any interest whatsoever).

My choices are yes and no to those options. But it is not going to change our behaviour.
  • Options

RobD said:
    Our PM.
    Did he actually say that? Everyone knows it is a balance between allowing people to do stuff and keeping the virus down. If the sole objective of the government was to eliminate the virus they would lock everyone in their homes until the last person had been vaccinated.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    OnboardG1 said:

RobD said:
    I'd need to find it but I read this morning (might have been sky news) that only 13% of people were planning on meeting at Christmas before the relaxations were announced. It's now 33%. Perhaps a sense of "The government says we can do it so it must be okay?". I thought the Christmas relaxation was probably neccessary because otherwise people would just say fuck it and take the piss, but I'm really starting to think that it wasn't a good plan now.
    No doubt stirred up by the media's incessant whining about "saving Christmas".
  • Options

Also, unlike pissy man,

Ah yes. The chap who demonstrated that a defence that consisted of

1) A history student at Cambridge claiming he had no idea what the Centoaph was
    2) That he wasn't responsible for his action because he had self adminstered a mix of alcohol and illegal drugs.

doesn't result in favourable outcome. Funny that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:
    There is a difference between permitted and should. Many, including my family, will not gather this Christmas because it is not sensible to do so. Others may choose to take a different decision. The question is whether they should (a) be advised not to be so silly and (b) fined for being so silly (assuming the cops show any interest whatsoever).

My choices are yes and no to those options. But it is not going to change our behaviour.
    I'm inclined to say that the relaxations should be cancelled (because the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago yada yada...) to make it clear that this isn't something you should be doing, since the lockdown hasn't brought cases down enough. You don't have to ramraid Christmas lunch but any deterrent to stop people from gathering is probably needed. It's the reason I think that the SG was absolutely correct not to move Edinburgh down a tier (despite the gnashing of teeth). Christmas is fucking coming. Take cover.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm inclined to say that the relaxations should be cancelled (because the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago yada yada...) to make it clear that this isn't something you should be doing, since the lockdown hasn't brought cases down enough. You don't have to ramraid Christmas lunch but any deterrent to stop people from gathering is probably needed. It's the reason I think that the SG was absolutely correct not to move Edinburgh down a tier (despite the gnashing of teeth). Christmas is fucking coming. Take cover.
    I would have from the start gone with Christmas day is ok, rule of 6 (plus kids). That's your lot folks. Sure people would still do Boxing day, have 8 etc. But the current plan is far too long, far too relaxed.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:
    Our PM.
    Did he actually say that? Everyone knows it is a balance between allowing people to do stuff and keeping the virus down. If the sole objective of the government was to eliminate the virus they would lock everyone in their homes until the last person had been vaccinated.
    Perhaps the PM should be making clear that people should be safe during this time by saying it is the season to be jolly careful?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,607
    edited December 2020

Also, unlike pissy man,

2) That he wasn't responsible for his action because he had self adminstered a mix of alcohol and illegal drugs.

He didn't go to one of the proper Cambridge colleges, he went to one of the JCL colleges.

One that wasn't even a proper college until 1948!
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    OnboardG1 said:

Real world brexit impact alert (with the foreword that I don't think it will be a cataclysm, more a depressing series of corrosive irritations):

I just got a quote for a new PCB I'm designing. The boards are on a ten day lead time. That should be done before the new year (hopefully). The embuggerance is going to be that my board might not get populated any time soon because the integrated circuits come from Europe. I can live with three weeks delay but that's going to be a nightmare for anyone who makes them en masse. Honestly, I'm less annoyed with the government threatening a no deal exit and more pissed off with them for not at least having the decency to hire a bunch of redundant retail workers to process border documentation and failing to have proper customs facilities ready. The tarriff rates aren't going to be fun but it's the snarl up in the transit that's going to really hurt and that's all on HMG not being ready for an outcome they keep threatening.

People seem to be missing the point that an FTA deal will just determine what, if any, tariffs get applied. All the reimposed bureaucracy at the border is baked in deal or no deal and no-one seems to be remotely ready to deal with it.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2020
    OnboardG1 said:

I think the big mistake has been that, in the messaging, the government and especially Boris have concentrated too much on the relaxation of the legal rules, and not enough on what should be the accompanying message that people should voluntarily avoid contact and stay at home if it's reasonably possible to do so.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

I think the big mistake has been that, in the messaging, the government and especially Boris have concentrated too much on the relaxation of the legal rules, and not enough on what should be the accompanying message that people should voluntarily avoid contact and stay at home if it's reasonably possible to do so.
    Yeah, "You won't get fined for visiting your relatives over Christmas, but that doesn't mean it isn't a completely stupid thing to do."
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    dixiedean said:

January is going to be a very horrible month, especially by the middle when the Xmas free pass is working into hospitals.

I also note that the hospital funnel now as more people being added than are exiting which means the R is above 1, significantly so in some areas.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    edited December 2020
    rpjs said:

OnboardG1 said:

People seem to be missing the point that an FTA deal will just determine what, if any, tariffs get applied. All the reimposed bureaucracy at the border is baked in deal or no deal and no-one seems to be remotely ready to deal with it.
    That could be fudged over with an implementation period of a few months if both sides were so inclined.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330
    dixiedean said:

I almost clicked like, but then thought, while I agree, I don't like!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

That is shockingly bad from Bozo. Did his brain just hear the word "India" and jumped to the first thought vaguely related?
    It's bad but if he didn't warn the PM's office in advance that he would raise the subject then that was irresponsible.
  • Options
    So what time do we expect Boris to appear waving the "outlines" of an EU trade deal on his napkin like a modern Neville Chamberlain?
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Drakeford was eloquent on that point.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    And Sturgeon, Drakeford and Foster - it was a UK wide decision
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

OnboardG1 said:

Drakeford was eloquent on that point.
    The relaxation planned over Christmas pales in comparison to the relaxation that occurred after the firebreak in Wales. What was it, groups of 15 allowed to mingle?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, a lot of people I know are not taking advantage of the relaxation of the rules because they think it's too risky. So maybe the spike won't be as bad as feared.

As for me, my son and his wife are getting tested and then self-isolating until they get the results. Only if negative will they come to see me - and even then there will just be the three of us.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Is that not what Vallance is trying to put right today? Not enough on its own of course.

And whilst families will mix more at Christmas people will not be going to work so much, few will be using public transport, the schools and Universities will be shut, the pubs are going to be shut in large parts of the country (many, sadly, permanently) and I don't see the boxing day sales being up to much. In other words there will be offsets against the family mixing.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

rpjs said:

OnboardG1 said:

That could be fudged over with an implementation period of a few months if both sides were so inclined.
    I do wonder if there might be a little "paperwork holiday" for January whatever happens just to keep the lorries moving, but the issue is that there will always have to be a point where you impose your rules and that's where the crunch will happen. Because people are lazy and paperwork is hard.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Very well put.

A large number of people will grasp at any justification they can find for having a big family Christmas. Because it is vital to them.

For myself (and my immediate family), not killing all the old people seems a good Christmas present for them. Plus all the wrinkles in my family are quite either scientific or risk averse. They are staying in the bunker until 3 weeks after the second jab (and a confirmatory antibody test, according to a couple) and that's that....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020
    I wonder if there's anyone who falls for the mad spin that "gravity" means a more onerous LPF is required for the UK considers the same in reverse?

The EU's minimum wage is €1.95 per hour - less than a fifth of the UK's minimum wage. Does "gravity" mean the UK should not sign a trade deal with the EU for as long as we are being undercut on this?

I doubt there's even a single Europhile here who will make that argument despite parroting the spin in reverse. Which is because it is nonsense all of it.
  • Options

Also, unlike pissy man,

Charlie Gilmour is a more interesting lad than the gnashing of Mail readers' teeth suggests, he seems to have pulled his life around (hopefully). I think I'll get his memoir for one of my pal's Chritsmas.

'Featherhood by Charlie Gilmour review: Cenotaphs, magpies and missing fathers'

https://tinyurl.com/yydljlhs
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

rpjs said:

OnboardG1 said:

Question to which I don't know the answer, and would love to know what knowledgeable types here think.

In the event that a Deal happens, and it lands where it seems likely to land...

How much implementation time would the UK need to get about as reasonably ready as it's ever going to be?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    RobD said:

OnboardG1 said:

Yeah, "You won't get fined for visiting your relatives over Christmas, but that doesn't mean it isn't a completely stupid thing to do."
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/covid-patient-tells-doctor-all-22-people-at-her-thanksgiving-dinner-have-symptoms/ar-BB1bLDQf?ocid=uxbndlbing
  • Options

I wonder if there's anyone who falls for the mad spin that "gravity" means a more onerous LPF is required for the UK considers the same in reverse?

The EU's minimum wage is €1.95 per hour - less than a fifth of the UK's minimum wage. Does "gravity" mean the UK should not sign a trade deal with the EU for as long as we are being undercut on this?

No - the EU should sanction itself until their minimum wage rises to the UK level.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Gaussian said:

rpjs said:

OnboardG1 said:

I do wonder if there might be a little "paperwork holiday" for January whatever happens just to keep the lorries moving, but the issue is that there will always have to be a point where you impose your rules and that's where the crunch will happen. Because people are lazy and paperwork is hard.
    A lot depends on whether there is an amicable deal or not, almost irrespective of the formal scope of the agreement. If there is a deal, then our EU friends are likely to be much more helpful in smoothing things along. If not...
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Scott_xP said:
    Very much under protest for Ms S. I think she will turn out to have been right.

It was very much Mr Johnson and his team who were pandering to the Christmas nonsense and perhaps even feeding it by their briefings. Damned idiots.
  • Options
    I think that the government also has to be realistic. At the moment we are at pretty high levels of restrictions and it is just not working. The R rate is going up. Its not working because more and more people are just not complying, whatever the level of restriction.

The vaccine is not here a day too soon and too late for some, sadly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

Trump steams in to 20s.

Oh I'd agree with that which is why I think Cruz has got something to do with it (and with his comment he would have presented the PA case to SCOTUS).
  • Options

Also, unlike pissy man,

He didn't go to one of the proper Cambridge colleges, he went to one of the JCL colleges.

One that wasn't even a proper college until 1948!
    Oi! We were (and I trust, still are) highly proper. And gave the world Lady Hale, never forget.

Not technically in Cambridge, I'll grant you...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Sturgeon clearly fucking hated it but looks like she was bounced into it because the others all thought it was grand and (despite what some posters here think) she realises the optics of stopping cars full of kids and pressies at Gretna are not good. The Scottish Regs are tighter than the English ones and the message from the SG briefings has been "don't".
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095

I doubt there's even a single Europhile here who will make that argument despite parroting the spin in reverse. Which is because it is nonsense all of it.

Are you moaning again that the the EU are being "unreasonable"?

It doesn't matter - it is what it is. Being a "europhile" has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

Is that not what Vallance is trying to put right today? Not enough on its own of course.

And whilst families will mix more at Christmas people will not be going to work so much, few will be using public transport, the schools and Universities will be shut, the pubs are going to be shut in large parts of the country (many, sadly, permanently) and I don't see the boxing day sales being up to much. In other words there will be offsets against the family mixing.
    I do hope you are right, and I'm sure you are right that they will help. But enough?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    Very much under protest for Ms S. I think she will turn out to have been right.
    The seamless transition from 'Sturge was wrong to pursue a different policy from Westminster' to 'Sturge was wrong to pursue the same policy as Westminster' will be a joy to witness.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,145
    Foxy said:

UK R

From case data

From hospital data

Yes, it is looking bad again here. Inpatient numbers over 200 again after dropping to 170 or so last week, and we haven't seen the effect of unlocking yet.

Trust management have halted admissions for planned surgery, except daycases, and I saw an eye watering figure of 40% of respiratory unit staff off at present, gaps filled by the press-gang actively recruiting specialists from other areas. December is going to be grim.
    I fear January/February is going to redefine "grim".
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Gaussian said:

rpjs said:

OnboardG1 said:

A lot depends on whether there is an amicable deal or not, almost irrespective of the formal scope of the agreement. If there is a deal, then our EU friends are likely to be much more helpful in smoothing things along. If not...
    I think it goes further than that. An amicable "no-deal" is now possible thanks to Gove actually being competent when asked to do something technical. If Johnson resists the temptation to Eurobash in the event of no agreement being reached then I think the EU would be willing to a) leave the door open for future talks and b) try to mitigate against the worst disruption come January.

However, this is Boris Johnson we're talking about here.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,589
    The government should change its advice and strongly advise against households mixing over Christmas, while making sure that nobody is alone who doesn't choose to be. Otherwise there's bound to be a lot of extra deaths in Jan/Feb.
    Of course such advice is not enforceable, but if, say, an extra 20% chose not to mingle because of it, that would make a significant difference.
    Such advice would also help those of us who are torn within families, with one party saying "It's allowed, let's do it", and the other "I don't think it's wise, let's not". Government advice against would help the latter to win the argument.
    Anyway, it's wishful thinking, because Brexit Chapter xxxx is this week's agenda.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

OnboardG1 said:

I do hope you are right, and I'm sure you are right that they will help. But enough?
    Its a roll of the dice, no question. And I have sympathy with those who say that is not a very governmental approach. Like intercontinental nuclear war the only way to win is not to play.
This discussion has been closed.