Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As Boris heads to Brussels to try to revive the negotiations the betting money edges up to no deal –

Comments

• Options

Here’s a prediction... Boris objects to LPF arrangement but nonetheless agrees with EU leaders on Thursday to bring it back to Parliament for a free vote... gets it over the line, assuming SKS plays ball, without accepting personal responsibility...

With some mega fudge of loads of areas of the deal left to require further negotiations.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,544

Nigelb said:

Bard pattern baldness.
    And some TSE style puns in the replies.
    https://twitter.com/BBCHughPym/status/1336210741892968449

I said this morning all headlines for this story should be 'The Taming Of The Flu.'
    Indeed - I was paying you homage.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,361

Her spend a penny nonsense is as bad as testing my eye sight...

Burley, who apologised over the incident and claimed she had only broken the rules because she needed to “spend a penny”, went to the Century Club in Soho, London, on Saturday night in a group of 10 that included Sky colleagues Beth Rigby, Inzamam Rashid and Sam Washington.

The group sat at two tables, of six and four, before going on to a nearby restaurant, Folie. A smaller group of four then returned to Burley’s home to continue the celebrations.

-------

So she went to.dinner with people not from her household...not allowed....then had people back to her house...not allowed. There is also claims that her popping into another venue for a tinkle, was actually 2hrs with other people.

That isn't an inadvertent rule break, as some sort of rule like don't go more than 5 miles from your house and you ended up being 6 because went to get petrol.
    Seriously, who cares? She works with these people all week right?
    Oh, the Corona virus must LOVE you.....
    All I am saying is that I find it impossible to get exercised by this stuff, I'm sure millions of people do similar. And as she works with most of the people involved she will meet them in the studio daily I would expect.

Clearly it's against the rules but I sniff a touch of faux outrage.
  • Options

I said no such thing. Why do you feel the need to do that?

I have never denied there might be disruption at the start of next year.
    You have said repeatedly that allegations of mass shortages in NI were untrue. I told you the supermarkets have all said it. You insist they say the opposite. Now we have the FDF saying the same.

Mass. Shortages. They know what they are talking about. You do not.
    They're not saying "mass shortages" though.

If they're saying "mass shortages" then quote that, because that was not even the (totally erroneously reported) story.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,691
    Scott_xP said:
    As does access to our markets and our fishing rights
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,135

You have said repeatedly that allegations of mass shortages in NI were untrue. I told you the supermarkets have all said it. You insist they say the opposite. Now we have the FDF saying the same.

If they're saying "mass shortages" then quote that, because that was not even the (totally erroneously reported) story.
    You're deluded if you think that stopping or reducing delivers wont result in shortages.
  • Options

You're deluded if you think that stopping or reducing delivers wont result in shortages.
    It will result in disruption, exactly as I said all along.

It depends upon the scale of deliveries that are reduced though.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    So are they saying that if there's No Deal, there will never be a deal?
    No when the government spaffs millions on "Check, Change, Go" and business isn't fully prepared for the effects of a deal negotiated on New Year's Eve, its clearly the fault of business.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Morning all. So, gosh, Brexit. It’s totally back at number 1 after the rude interregnum of the pandemic. And what a climax! After 4 years of blood sweat & tears it’s going to come down to 2 individuals in a room together on Thursday, our Prime Minster, Boris Johnson, and the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen. No bullshit this time, I sense. This really is it. The final showdown, mano a mano. Or mano a femo, because of course there will be a woman alone in the room with the PM and that is Ursula von der Leyen. So what, say the tiresome woke brigade with their pursed lips and whiny po faces. What’s that got to do with the price of fish? Normally nothing, is the answer, but in this case it’s (potentially) the vital ingredient and the great news is it’s in our favour. Because say what you like about Johnson he knows how to captivate the opposite sex. He’s done it all his life even when nothing is at stake, so surely here, with the future relationship between the UK and the EU on the line, he’ll be on top form and giving it both barrels. Ursula will get the full “Boris”. There’ll be some “little boy lost”, much amusing self-deprecation, he'll have his hair mussed up and probably wear odd socks, and lots of charming asides and diversions away from State Aid and Fishing Quotas into lighter topics such as what’s her favourite poem and that’s a rather fetching top she has on. And of course there will be promises from him. Promises promises promises. Will she succumb? Will we end up with a deal skewed in our favour and signed off before she realizes Johnson – now not returning her calls – has stitched her up like one of the millions of kippers the livid French will no longer be able to catch? It must be a possibility. But in any case, as I say, what a climax. You couldn’t script it any better.

Yep. It's like the final scene of Queens Gambit. 2 individuals locked in a bitter, tense battle of nerve, concentration, stamina and preparation for the ultimate prize.
    My money's on the female.
    Wasn't the Russian opponent something of a gentleman, though ?
    And very well prepared for the contest.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Bard pattern baldness.

I said this morning all headlines for this story should be 'The Taming Of The Flu.'
    'The Two Gentlemen of Corona'?
    Coronailanus?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,245

Burley, who apologised over the incident and claimed she had only broken the rules because she needed to “spend a penny”, went to the Century Club in Soho, London, on Saturday night in a group of 10 that included Sky colleagues Beth Rigby, Inzamam Rashid and Sam Washington.

The group sat at two tables, of six and four, before going on to a nearby restaurant, Folie. A smaller group of four then returned to Burley’s home to continue the celebrations.

-------

So she went to.dinner with people not from her household...not allowed....then had people back to her house...not allowed. There is also claims that her popping into another venue for a tinkle, was actually 2hrs with other people.

That isn't an inadvertent rule break, as some sort of rule like don't go more than 5 miles from your house and you ended up being 6 because went to get petrol.
    All I am saying is that I find it impossible to get exercised by this stuff, I'm sure millions of people do similar. And as she works with most of the people involved she will meet them in the studio daily I would expect.

Except, it's more worthy of outrage than what Cummings actually did....
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

gealbhan said:

In the event of no deal both sides need to put in at least a 6 month implementation date

In the event of No Deal, the champagne corks will be popping in ERG HQ. What makes you think they would allow Boris to sully their Precious by having an extension?
    EU sipping champagne too. The longer we go with no deal the better the deal for the EU we eventually surrender to.
    Utterly delusional from the same people who thought that we would have no choice but to sign the EU's deal in the first place.

If there is no deal then people will dig in and become even more entrenched, it will poison the well. New talks will then begin ultimately with the UK having already diverged and no longer having a "level playing field". Plus they will begin with UK fishermen being the ones who fish the UK's fish.

Plus the UK one way or another will be the other side of the disruption that so many of you are afraid of facing already.

In what possible way does any of that aid the EU's terms?
    The idea we arnt poorer as a nation in the long run out the EU, and suffering worst chaos than the EU in the short term if there is no deal is a fantasy world you are living in isn’t it?
  • Options

https://order-order.com/2020/12/08/cummings-takes-back-control-of-klute/

As a student many years ago I went to visit a friend at Durham Uni....I can confirm it was the worst venue I have ever been to, by a large distance.

Legendarily awful.
    In what sense?
    All five. And then your sixth.
    One of.my enduring memories of my only ever visit, was asking where are the toilets in this place....and told just follow the smell of piss, you won't miss them.
    That the venue, or the Uni ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://order-order.com/2020/12/08/cummings-takes-back-control-of-klute/

As a student many years ago I went to visit a friend at Durham Uni....I can confirm it was the worst venue I have ever been to, by a large distance.

Legendarily awful.
    In what sense?
    All five. And then your sixth.
    One of.my enduring memories of my only ever visit, was asking where are the toilets in this place....and told just follow the smell of piss, you won't miss them.
    That the venue, or the Uni ?
    Yes
  • Options
    Would those who are calling for Kay Burley to be sacked also call for the sacking of a transport/road safety correspondent who was caught speeding?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,627
    edited December 2020

The supermarkets are saying mass shortages. 43% of FDF members will reduce what they ship in, many to zero. So yes. They are saying mass shortages. Again, you can sit there are type your opinions as many times as you like, it doesn't make them any more connected with reality.

EDIT - in case you don't care what the FDF think this who they are: "Our membership is made up of a wide range of companies and trade associations, from large international food and drink manufacturers with long-established brands to small companies manufacturing organic products.". They are the companies who supply the supermarkets.

So the supermarkets have warned of mass shortages. The companies who make the products have said mass shortages. And yet you know more about it than they do.

You do understand how much of a clown you are the more you guff on about a field you have literally no knowledge of?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kinabalu said:

Morning all. So, gosh, Brexit. It’s totally back at number 1 after the rude interregnum of the pandemic. And what a climax! After 4 years of blood sweat & tears it’s going to come down to 2 individuals in a room together on Thursday, our Prime Minster, Boris Johnson, and the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen. No bullshit this time, I sense. This really is it. The final showdown, mano a mano. Or mano a femo, because of course there will be a woman alone in the room with the PM and that is Ursula von der Leyen. So what, say the tiresome woke brigade with their pursed lips and whiny po faces. What’s that got to do with the price of fish? Normally nothing, is the answer, but in this case it’s (potentially) the vital ingredient and the great news is it’s in our favour. Because say what you like about Johnson he knows how to captivate the opposite sex. He’s done it all his life even when nothing is at stake, so surely here, with the future relationship between the UK and the EU on the line, he’ll be on top form and giving it both barrels. Ursula will get the full “Boris”. There’ll be some “little boy lost”, much amusing self-deprecation, he'll have his hair mussed up and probably wear odd socks, and lots of charming asides and diversions away from State Aid and Fishing Quotas into lighter topics such as what’s her favourite poem and that’s a rather fetching top she has on. And of course there will be promises from him. Promises promises promises. Will she succumb? Will we end up with a deal skewed in our favour and signed off before she realizes Johnson – now not returning her calls – has stitched her up like one of the millions of kippers the livid French will no longer be able to catch? It must be a possibility. But in any case, as I say, what a climax. You couldn’t script it any better.

But surely Von Der Leyen can only agree to a deal which Macron et al will be prepared to support. She cannot impose her will on member Governments in the way Johnson speaks for the UK Government.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,611

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I somehow think you channeled Sean for this post.
    If so it is something I definitely do not want to make a habit of!

But seriously, I remain of the firm opinion that the forces pushing in the direction of a deal, whilst quieter and less tabloid friendly, are vastly greater and more compelling than those working against it.

Therefore there will be one.
    What odds though would you put on it? What chance you might be wrong?

Eg pre-election I gave Trump the equivalent odds of rolling Snake Eyes on 2d6 (1/36 chance) - where would you put the odds of talks failing to reach a deal?
    Ok, good question. I would need odds of 8/1 No Deal to tempt me to put a few quid on it.
  • Options

The supermarkets are saying mass shortages. 43% of FDF members will reduce what they ship in, many to zero. So yes. They are saying mass shortages. Again, you can sit there are type your opinions as many times as you like, it doesn't make them any more connected with reality.
    [Citation needed]

Which supermarket is saying "mass shortages"? Should be easy to link to a CEO or equivalent of a supermarket warning about "mass shortages" as opposed to some disruption like I acknowledge will happen.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

But seriously, I remain of the firm opinion that the forces pushing in the direction of a deal, whilst quieter and less tabloid friendly, are vastly greater and more compelling than those working against it.

Eg pre-election I gave Trump the equivalent odds of rolling Snake Eyes on 2d6 (1/36 chance) - where would you put the odds of talks failing to reach a deal?
    Ok, good question. I would need odds of 8/1 No Deal to tempt me to put a few quid on it.
    Yeah think that's about right. No Deal over-ramped IMO. Given both sides have a huge incentive to find a deal, that is the likely outcome.
  • Options

[Citation needed]

Which supermarket is saying "mass shortages"? Should be easy to link to a CEO or equivalent of a supermarket warning about "mass shortages" as opposed to some disruption like I acknowledge will happen.
    You never supply citations for anything.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kinabalu said:

But surely Von Der Leyen can only agree to a deal which Macron et al will be prepared to support. She cannot impose her will on member Governments in the way Johnson speaks for the UK Government.
    Yes but she can accept one and thus put pressure on Macron to accept it, present it as a fait accompli.

Plus if Macron does veto a deal then I think Boris would take it as a win. He would have done all he can and can readily scapegoat the French as being the unreasonable party since even the EU had agreed to what he was prepared to offer.
  • Options

-------

Neither incident is worthy of outrage really though are they? Worse things happen at sea.
  • Options

[Citation needed]

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/11/brexit-supermarkets-in-northern-ireland-face-empty-shelf-threat/

Big 4 grocer Sainsbury’s could see as much as 40 per cent of its grocery ranges in Northern Ireland affected, including its meat, fish and dairy products, while Marks & Spencer chief executive Steve Rowe has demanded “urgent clarity over a number of administrative issues”.

Sainsbury’s chief executive Simon Roberts said there was “a wide range of restricted products that would be at risk”.

You really are clueless.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,250
    edited December 2020
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Yep. It's like the final scene of Queens Gambit. 2 individuals locked in a bitter, tense battle of nerve, concentration, stamina and preparation for the ultimate prize.
    My money's on the female.
    Wasn't the Russian opponent something of a gentleman, though ?
    And very well prepared for the contest.
    As pointed out my analogy fell down. The actual final scene is, of course, her playing a scruffy, totally unprepared amateur.
  • Options

[Citation needed]

Yes I do. Not for my opinions but if I'm claiming something as fact as opposed to my opinion then I absolutely do cite sources.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,245
    edited December 2020
    justin124 said:

kinabalu said:

Because if she can, then we were very obviously right to have Brexited....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,518

justin124 said:

kinabalu said:

Yes but she can accept one and thus put pressure on Macron to accept it, present it as a fait accompli.

Plus if Macron does veto a deal then I think Boris would take it as a win. He would have done all he can and can readily scapegoat the French as being the unreasonable party since even the EU had agreed to what he was prepared to offer.
    Why on earth would she put Macron in that position? She's not doing PR for Boris Johnson.
  • Options

[Citation needed]

Yes I do. Not for my opinions but if I'm claiming something as fact as opposed to my opinion then I absolutely do cite sources.
    I've cited Sainsburys repeatedly. Because it disagrees with your fact free opinion you ignore it. M&S major problems. Tesco and Lidl looking at how they reverse the normal flow and supply NI stores from ROI. British Retail Consortium.
  • Options

[Citation needed]

You claim all your opinions as facts so my statement stands.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

gealbhan said:

In the event of no deal both sides need to put in at least a 6 month implementation date

In the event of No Deal, the champagne corks will be popping in ERG HQ. What makes you think they would allow Boris to sully their Precious by having an extension?
    EU sipping champagne too. The longer we go with no deal the better the deal for the EU we eventually surrender to.
    Utterly delusional from the same people who thought that we would have no choice but to sign the EU's deal in the first place.

If there is no deal then people will dig in and become even more entrenched, it will poison the well. New talks will then begin ultimately with the UK having already diverged and no longer having a "level playing field". Plus they will begin with UK fishermen being the ones who fish the UK's fish.

Plus the UK one way or another will be the other side of the disruption that so many of you are afraid of facing already.

The comparison is with the miners strike of 84. There was a piece of paper to be signed with conditions on it. The government had built up vast reserves and could of held out for years without issue. The miners couldn’t. They surrendered. They signed it. The comparison here in the no deal battle is EU as Meg’s government UK the striking miners. Don’t you see the coming chaos like that?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,790
    edited December 2020

Would those who are calling for Kay Burley to be sacked also call for the sacking of a transport/road safety correspondent who was caught speeding?

Personally not calling for her to be sacked...but to use your reasoning, if road safety campaigner got caught doing 34 in a 30, no, if they got caught doing 60 in a series of 30 zones and then lied about it all... different kettle of fish.
  • Options

[Citation needed]

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/11/brexit-supermarkets-in-northern-ireland-face-empty-shelf-threat/

Big 4 grocer Sainsbury’s could see as much as 40 per cent of its grocery ranges in Northern Ireland affected, including its meat, fish and dairy products, while Marks & Spencer chief executive Steve Rowe has demanded “urgent clarity over a number of administrative issues”.

Sainsbury’s chief executive Simon Roberts said there was “a wide range of restricted products that would be at risk”.

You really are clueless.

Saying that there is risk is different to saying that there will be "mass shortages".

Again I have said there would be disruption. So they're saying that a minimum of 60% of its grocery ranges are not at risk and there is some risk to "as much as 40%" - implausible that all of the risk entirely materialises in full.
  • Options
    How dare sour faced Nippy and the Natz not fawn over ar Wills & Kate generously spreading their Royal aura over the land?

What’s that you say?

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1336290294355140610?s=12
  • Options

justin124 said:

kinabalu said:

Why on earth would she put Macron in that position? She's not doing PR for Boris Johnson.
    Macron might want to be in that position. Lets him play the role of Charles de Gaulle.
  • Options
    Remember folks, nobody senior in the UK grocery industry has warned of mass shortages in NI

"THE supply of some fish, dairy and meat products to Sainsbury's stores in Northern Ireland could be badly affected from January because of Brexit, the supermarket chain's chief executive has said.

Simon Roberts said the supply of many products, including mince and sausages, as well as fish and dairy items, could be hit.

"If we don’t get greater clarity on the Northern Irish situation then we will see a restriction on the ranges of products we can sell," he said.

"This is not one or two products in stores I am talking about, it is a substantial number of products and quite key, everyday products too."

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/11/07/news/brexit-may-hit-food-supplies-to-northern-ireland-sainsbury-s-warns-2122890/
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2020
    I can't believe, even in all their crass incompetence, that the UK government would allow negotiations to continue after christmas, and then leap to the exit, with no further business preparation.

You'd have to imagine the options are some sort of fudged deal this week, or a scenario where the deal is finalised as late as the end of the month, and then even longer is extended and added on for businesses and infrastructure on both sides to prepare.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

The comparison is with the miners strike of 84. There was a piece of paper to be signed with conditions on it. The government had built up vast reserves and could of held out for years without issue. The miners couldn’t. They surrendered. They signed it. The comparison here in the no deal battle is EU as Meg’s government UK the striking miners. Don’t you see the coming chaos like that?
    Yes the UK government will be able to get through any disruption just as it did in 1984.

The miners opposing the UK government lost just as any Europhiles relying upon temporary disruption next year will lose too.
  • Options

[Citation needed]

You really are clueless.

Saying that there is risk is different to saying that there will be "mass shortages".

Again I have said there would be disruption. So they're saying that a minimum of 60% of its grocery ranges are not at risk and there is some risk to "as much as 40%" - implausible that all of the risk entirely materialises in full.
    Mass shortages of *fresh* food. They don't know how they can import it. Nobody can tell them.

Again you insist you know more about it than they do.
    "This is not one or two products in stores I am talking about, it is a substantial number of products and quite key, everyday products too."
    vs
    "They will just over-face the products they have"
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Excellent result, well done Gove.

The IM Bill has done its job, the EU have blinked and its protocols have served their purpose.

Even less likely to have "mass shortages" now in NI since the risk was before this deal was agreed.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The IM Bill has done its job, the EU have blinked and its protocols have served their purpose.

Even less likely to have "mass shortages" now in NI since the risk was before this deal was agreed.
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,678

TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

Anyone watched Queen`s Gambit on Netflix?

I recommend it highly.

Seconded. Was a recommendation off here.
    Yes I also watched because it was recommended on here.
    Brought memories back of Fisher v Spassky in 1972, when I was a young child.

I am now watching gangs of London on now tv.
    Gripping and very violent.
    Surely London is not that bad.
    Top Boy (both series) and Blue Story should be next on your list.

And yes I believe it is. In various postcodes.
    Ha ha. Do you live in London, Topping? I have lived in SE14 for the last decade and I'm pretty sure I've never been stabbed. I have honestly never lived anywhere nicer than this.
    Sorry out for a bike ride (not raining so didn't roll out the wet weather one).

Yes I'm sure no drug dealing or related crime or postcode wars or trident or...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,705

Here’s a prediction... Boris objects to LPF arrangement but nonetheless agrees with EU leaders on Thursday to bring it back to Parliament for a free vote... gets it over the line, assuming SKS plays ball, without accepting personal responsibility...

Fair point.

Starmer however is out of his mind if he whips for Johnson's deal. Abstain or free vote gets the deal over the line anyway. I genuinely hope Starmer doesn't plan to die on Johnson's Brexit cross. That would be plain stupid.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,842
    First cave from BoZo, paving the way for the next...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Bard pattern baldness.

The art of our necessities is strange,
    That can make vial things precious.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Yes the UK government will be able to get through any disruption just as it did in 1984.

The miners opposing the UK government lost just as any Europhiles relying upon temporary disruption next year will lose too.
    Europhiles = Enemies Within?
  • Options

How dare sour faced Nippy and the Natz not fawn over ar Wills & Kate generously spreading their Royal aura over the land?

What’s that you say?

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1336290294355140610?s=12

Wills and Catherine should resign from the line of succession, they are worse than Dominic Cummings and that SNP lady.

Lock them up.

Thoughts and prayers for HYUFD following the shameful republicanism from Boris Johnson and Downing Street.
  • Options
    @Philip_Thompson please enlighten us on the areas where the EU have "blinked". What has changed?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,518
    edited December 2020

Scott_xP said:

You said that you'd rather Remain than support Theresa May's deal. What things would make Boris Johnson's deal worse than remaining?
  • Options

Remember folks, nobody senior in the UK grocery industry has warned of mass shortages in NI

"THE supply of some fish, dairy and meat products to Sainsbury's stores in Northern Ireland could be badly affected from January because of Brexit, the supermarket chain's chief executive has said.

Simon Roberts said the supply of many products, including mince and sausages, as well as fish and dairy items, could be hit.

"If we don’t get greater clarity on the Northern Irish situation then we will see a restriction on the ranges of products we can sell," he said.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/11/07/news/brexit-may-hit-food-supplies-to-northern-ireland-sainsbury-s-warns-2122890/

"some"

I said some disruption.

That was before today's deal was reached which should mitigate that.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,705

Scott_xP said:
    So are they saying that if there's No Deal, there will never be a deal?
    Johnson has the makings of a Churchillian speech from your sentence.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

You said that you'd rather Remain than support Theresa May's deal. What things would make Boris Johnson's deal worse than remaining?
    The EU Parliament determining UK laws instead of Westminster Parliament, just like May's deal had.

If the UK was bound to EU laws without our Parliament getting a say or a veto or a right to diverge. If the UK was bound to adopt new EU laws the EU passes in particular, as opposed to non-regression of that which is already our law.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    We aren't going to break the law? How unpatriotic
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,426

Scott_xP said:

Glad to hear about NI GFA. Now what about the devolved administrations???
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The EU Parliament determining UK laws instead of Westminster Parliament, just like May's deal had.

If the UK was bound to EU laws without our Parliament getting a say or a veto or a right to diverge. If the UK was bound to adopt new EU laws the EU passes in particular, as opposed to non-regression of that which is already our law.
    Well then you must hate the NI protocol.

https://twitter.com/AlexanderPHRose/status/1336299885612707842?s=20
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,400

Fair point.

Starmer however is out of his mind if he whips for Johnson's deal. Abstain or free vote gets the deal over the line anyway. I genuinely hope Starmer doesn't plan to die on Johnson's Brexit cross. That would be plain stupid.
    I strongly suspect Starmer and anyone not in the Tory party will take the night off and ensure the Tories own the end result.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Bard pattern baldness.

The art of our necessities is strange,
    That can make vial things precious.
    I am only amazed that they failed to find a lady called "Florence Nightengale" to take the first shot. Or failing that, surely an "Edward Jenner" must be in the UK population?
  • Options

@Philip_Thompson please enlighten us on the areas where the EU have "blinked". What has changed?

The EU had been wanting the main UK/EU deal agreed before this agreement was reached. They weaponised the threat of not agreeing this thus causing GB/NI disruption if we didn't sign a UK/EU deal - which is what provoked the Government into bringing in the IM Bill.

Now this Protocol has been honoured in good faith with or without another deal as it always should have been, thus rendering the IM Bill unnecessary. It was only necessary due to the EU's stonewalling, the NI Protocol had envisioned this happening already in good faith and now it has.
  • Options

I can't believe, even in all their crass incompetence, that the UK government would allow negotiations to continue after christmas, and then leap to the exit, with no further business preparation.

You'd have to imagine the options are some sort of fudged deal this week, or a scenario where the deal is finalised as late as the end of the month, and then even longer is extended and added on for businesses and infrastructure on both sides to prepare.

It means there is going to either be a deal or some form of extension. It could be agreeing no deal at a subsequent date rather than 1 January, but kinabalu is correct, we wont be no dealing on 1 January.

Too many people are off in the xmas-new year week for it to make any sense whatsoever.
  • Options

The EU had been wanting the main UK/EU deal agreed before this agreement was reached. They weaponised the threat of not agreeing this thus causing GB/NI disruption if we didn't sign a UK/EU deal - which is what provoked the Government into bringing in the IM Bill.

Now this Protocol has been honoured in good faith with or without another deal as it always should have been, thus rendering the IM Bill unnecessary. It was only necessary due to the EU's stonewalling, the NI Protocol had envisioned this happening already in good faith and now it has.
    You're so deluded it's hilarious. Christ.
  • Options

"some"

I said some disruption.

That was before today's deal was reached which should mitigate that.
    "A substantial number of products. Like meat and milk. Your "some" disruption will be those things not being available barring the traffic that retailers manage to run across the border from ROI.

You should go and be a UK negotiator in these talks. Refusal to accept expert testimony or ever back down or ever accept that your ludicrous hyperbole is anything other than laughable is exactly what the UK need.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,353
    Stocky said:

I recommend it highly.

Yes it was very good, I was not keen on it but got strong armed into it, ended up very good.
  • Options

Yet its turning out like I forecast when the IM Bill was released.

Others here were losing their minds about how this would mean the EU couldn't trust the UK - I said that this was balancing the scales making a respectful deal on NI more likely. Now one has been reached, like I said.

So who was delusional exactly?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,824
    Scott_xP said:
    Who exactly is this prick? Is he actually trying to give evidence to a Commons committee, or just delivering a series of pathetic, rehearsed soundbites?
  • Options

Others here were losing their minds about how this would mean the EU couldn't trust the UK - I said that this was balancing the scales making a respectful deal on NI more likely. Now one has been reached, like I said.

You are delusional. Literally everything you write on this topic.

It's just complete and utter nonsense from start to finish.
  • Options
    The original spin for breaking International Law was that it would be required in the event of no deal

Witlessly applauded by our resident troll

Now the spin is we don't need to break International law even if we don't get a deal

there is a pattern here...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

I recommend it highly.

Yes it was very good, I was not keen on it but got strong armed into it, ended up very good.
    Crickey....something getting the malky seal of approval, it must be the best show ever to get that.
  • Options

It means there is going to either be a deal or some form of extension. It could be agreeing no deal at a subsequent date rather than 1 January, but kinabalu is correct, we wont be no dealing on 1 January.

Too many people are off in the xmas-new year week for it to make any sense whatsoever.
    If you're going to have no deal then maybe doing that on a day most people are off would be sensible.

Major disruptions like this normally occur during market closures for a reason.
  • Options

Thank God people in Northern Ireland have absolutely no history of kicking off when the Brits do something they don't like... Oh.
    Still, at least it's not like the British have any form when it comes to preventing the Irish from having enough food... Ah.
    Still... Fish, or something.
    They will have to prise our potatoes from our cold, dead fingers.....
  • Options

Yet I was right. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

-------

Because tis the rules and like Piers Morgan has spent 6 months lambasting everybody else. Rank hypocrisy.
    She's a lefty and criticises the govenrment - free pass.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Yeah think that's about right. No Deal over-ramped IMO. Given both sides have a huge incentive to find a deal, that is the likely outcome.
    Ramped for a reason imo. The deal will shine brighter when announced to a nation in a state of trepidation thinking its chances were now slim. We'll get a "Boris has only gone and done it again!" vibe rather than a shrug at something seen as inevitable. It also means less focus on the detail. Because if a deal is seen as inevitable, there is no big "event" and what's left is only a focus on the detail.
  • Options

No you weren't. :D
  • Options

They will have to prise our potatoes from our cold, dead fingers.....

Hey, that plan worked last time...
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

-------

Personally, I don't care but the simple fact is she is vocal in having a go at others on national TV and doing a fairly good job of getting on her high horse about breaking restrictions. Now she is being hoist by her own petard.

The fact she gave such a sh1t excuse also suggests she is not the brightest star in the sky.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The original spin for breaking International Law was that it would be required in the event of no deal

Now the spin is we don't need to break International law even if we don't get a deal

We got an NI Protocol deal though. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

It was Tweeted just a few minutes ago. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Did you miss that? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Seriously? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options

No wonder at the state of Scottish education.....
    https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1336268524327751681?s=20

Ha Ha ha, Lady Haw rolled out for yet another lying whinge on Scottish education. Pay your student fees and suck it up losers.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020

We got an NI Protocol deal. Just been agreed in principle. I was right.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,475
    edited December 2020
    UK and EU agree on arrangements for Northern Ireland at least from January 1st, still no agreement on arrangements for GB.

The fact the UK government will scrap the Internal Markets Bill also opens the way for a UK-US trade deal with the Biden administration and Congress

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1336302572005588992?s=20

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1336303226971443201?s=20
  • Options

You can't just say you were "right" about something without ever claiming it in the first place.

I'm sorry but this is verging on the ridiculous.

I will not further engage with you on this topic because I'm starting to suspect that you're nothing more than a troll.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,790
    edited December 2020
    MrEd said:

-------

Personally, I don't care but the simple fact is she is vocal in having a go at others on national TV and doing a fairly good job of getting on her high horse about breaking restrictions. Now she is being hoist by her own petard.

The fact she gave such a sh1t excuse also suggests she is not the brightest star in the sky.
    It is the pissy excuse, it was all.an accident, rather than just hands up, i was wrong. Just like the eye sight test. Big Dom should have just said I panicked, worried about my kids, but we made the wrong decision, resign, and he would be now looking forward to rejoining the government jn a month or two.
  • Options

You can't just say you were "right" about something without ever claiming it in the first place.

I will not further engage with you on this topic because I'm starting to suspect that you're nothing more than a troll.
    But I did claim it. I said that it would make a deal on the NI Protocol more likely.

A deal has just been made.

QED. What are you disputing?
  • Options

But I did claim it. I said that it would make a deal on the NI Protocol more likely.

:D
  • Options

If you're going to have no deal then maybe doing that on a day most people are off would be sensible.

Major disruptions like this normally occur during market closures for a reason.
    So the week we are ramping up are vaccination efforts for the biggest and most important logistical challenge since the WW2 is a sensible time to create logistical havoc on the country? Get a grip, its just theatre, there is zero chance they will implement no deal now. Very likely we will sign up to whatever we are told to, getting a small win on fish and a future review date to diverge. If not it will be a delayed no deal, with the govt getting out of any political jam with the headbangers by blaming covid and reminding them they will be getting their precious no deal at a later date.
  • Options

🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Sad to hear from people on Twitter that Total Fitness are still assuming members are fools who don't know the law or their rights.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

-------

Neither incident is worthy of outrage really though are they? Worse things happen at sea.
    Of course not except she has been spouting her outrage against Cummings & others on Sky News repeatedly and claims to speak for 'her' viewers. She absolutely should be sacked.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,426
    HYUFD said:

UK and EU agree on arrangements for Northern Ireland at least from January 1st, still no agreement on arrangements for GB.

The fact the UK government will scrap the Internal Markets Bill also opens the way for a UK-US trade deal with the Biden administration and Congress

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1336302572005588992?s=20

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1336303226971443201?s=20

Not scrapping the IMB, are they? Just deleting some clauses. Still aiming to grab powers in contravention of the devolution settlements.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Scott_xP said:

Eh? Have you been applauding something?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,755
    Following the Shakespeare vaccine puns, thought I'd share a couple of Xmas cracker jokes from today's Guardian (look away now if you're not a woke liberal-left metropolitan elite remainer).

What is Dominic Cummings's favourite Christmas song?
    Driving Home for Christmas.

Why are Santa's reindeer allowed to travel on Christmas Eve?
    They have herd immunity.

Sorry if these have already been shared. Alternatively, more available on request.
  • Options

🤦🏻‍♂️
    Yes, that is the face we make when we have to read some of the dross you come out with.

I'm happy to discuss with you what concessions each party has made in order to come to an agreement on the NI protocol, if they are known.

Otherwise your "EU has blinked because of the IM Bill LOL" commentary is nothing but meaningless and inflammatory dross.

Please provide citations and we can have a grown-up discussion on the subject.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 124

ajb said:

The only difference here is that a) we have a hard deadline, and b) the politicians in this case have left it really late.

I wonder if there is a special dynamic at play here too because every other trade negotiation is about making trade easier, so that the economic pie is bigger at the end of it, creating more space for compromise. For the first time, these negotiations are all about putting up barriers and shrinking the pie, and this makes it much more zero-sum (actually negative-sum). This must make it harder to find a compromise.
    Yeah that probably doesn't help either.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

No wonder at the state of Scottish education.....
    https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1336268524327751681?s=20

It's been a Glasgow Labour shibboleth for very many years. Not a SNP one in particular. The confusion arises because tanks were sent for fundraising purposes, in George Square, in 1919 and m uch photographed. But tanks were most certainly also sent to Glasgow in 1919 in direct response to the strikes, to try and overawe them, though I don't think they actually appeared in George Square.
    Carnyx, the lying toerags are not interested in the truth. They still think Dad's Army single handedly won the War. Churchill was an arsehole and had troops on the streets as they were crapping themselves , Scots ones were locked in their barracks.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kinabalu said:

That is the fly in the ointment, true. Johnson can bewitch and bedazzle her all he likes with his joi de vivre and his je ne say pas, but the deal has to get buy in from the other big European players.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Following the Shakespeare vaccine puns, thought I'd share a couple of Xmas cracker jokes from today's Guardian (look away now if you're not a woke liberal-left metropolitan elite remainer).

What is Dominic Cummings's favourite Christmas song?
    Driving Home for Christmas.

Why are Santa's reindeer allowed to travel on Christmas Eve?
    They have herd immunity.

Sorry if these have already been shared. Alternatively, more available on request.

You're really sleighing us with these gags...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,705

🤦🏻‍♂️
    🦴.
This discussion has been closed.