Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As Boris heads to Brussels to try to revive the negotiations the betting money edges up to no deal –

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,678
    Yorkcity said:

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

Anyone watched Queen`s Gambit on Netflix?

I recommend it highly.

Seconded. Was a recommendation off here.
    Yes I also watched because it was recommended on here.
    Brought memories back of Fisher v Spassky in 1972, when I was a young child.

I am now watching gangs of London on now tv.
    Gripping and very violent.
    Surely London is not that bad.
    Top Boy (both series) and Blue Story should be next on your list.

And yes I believe it is. In various postcodes.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,426
    edited December 2020

No wonder at the state of Scottish education.....
    https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1336268524327751681?s=20

It's been a Glasgow Labour shibboleth for very many years. Not a SNP one in particular. The confusion arises because tanks were sent for fundraising purposes, in George Square, in 1919 and m uch photographed. But tanks were most certainly also sent to Glasgow in 1919 in direct response to the strikes, to try and overawe them, though I don't think they actually appeared in George Square.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

I recommend it highly.

Yes finished it yesterday. Very good indeed. Kasparov was a consultant so all the chess moves (and there are many) are absolutely spot on - early on in the series Beth moved her knight which you could just see was thereby threatening the queen and another piece hence it signalled its serious chess credentials early.

Found myself pausing the tv often to see what was happening on the board.
    I haven't seen it and not that interested in chess, but was going to give it a go...but all.this talk about how accurate on the chess front it is, makes it sound like it is 10hrs of watching people play chess?
    You would have to be a real chess geek to notice the chess being accurate (or not).
  • Options

From reading the Matthew D'Ancona piece in the header, all I can conclude is that the Brexiteers huge mess might be even bigger than I thought.

No Deal might be the best thing, finally settling the debate about Brexit

As the Brexiteers used to be so fond of pointing out, "Short term pain for long term gain". Oddly enough, they seem to have stopped saying that now :open_mouth:

I'm still saying it. Short term disruption absolutely. The disruption will be more immediate than any benefits.
    Define "short term". Define "long term".
    Short term: Weeks to Months

Long term: Years to Decades

I expect the disruption to be worst in January then rapidly get better as firms adapt.
    What do you think the political consequences will be?
    Don't know.

Long term I expect Brexit to be much ado about nothing either way.

We will develop as Europe's version of Canada - a developed, western nation outside of a larger political union. Distinct and different, but just as developed and with many similarities.
    The trouble with that vision is that the EU isn’t Europe’s version of the USA. Canada doesn’t have separate bilateral relationships with every state.
    The EU wants to be Europe's version of the USA and is inexorably evolving that way. Europe is comparable to pre-Civil War USA (minus the whole slavery malarkey). The EU's ratchet effect means eventually it is going to either have to break the ratchet or it will be a federal country in its own right like the USA.

I would rather be outside. I'm quite content being Canada not America.
    Total claptrap. You clearly have no understanding of European politics, culture or history. Certain Eurocrats would like a United States of Europe but it will not happen for at least a century if at all. Only the most stupid of stupid Brexiteers believe this nonsense because it suits their distorted anti-foreigner agenda. The only people that hate German dominance more than Brexiteers are 25 nations of the EU. It might happen in another 200 hundred years perhaps and by then most of Europe will speak English with American accents as a first language. The UK will either have rejoined or will be seen as an eccentric backwater.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

A united Conservative Party is the goal. No more Europe schisms.

Who gives a f*** about tariffs?

If there is No Deal the schisms will continue as the realists try and salvage something from the wreckage and the headbangers try and find someone else to blame
    I agree, but Brexit was never my idea. You may have noticed that I have been arguing against it for a long time ;)
  • Options

From reading the Matthew D'Ancona piece in the header, all I can conclude is that the Brexiteers huge mess might be even bigger than I thought.

As the Brexiteers used to be so fond of pointing out, "Short term pain for long term gain". Oddly enough, they seem to have stopped saying that now :open_mouth:

I'm still saying it. Short term disruption absolutely. The disruption will be more immediate than any benefits.
    Long term benefits. That the huge cost burden of regulations and pointless red tape is less than potential benefits of a devaluation of the pound and lower tariffs than the £0 we pay at the moment.

And we get to be patronised by government campaigns encouraging us to eat Herring and Chips, Mutton and Offal.
    You can make a really good curry with mutton. Goat is also very good.
  • Options

Long term benefits. That the huge cost burden of regulations and pointless red tape is less than potential benefits of a devaluation of the pound and lower tariffs than the £0 we pay at the moment.

And we get to be patronised by government campaigns encouraging us to eat Herring and Chips, Mutton and Offal.
    You can make a really good curry with mutton. Goat is also very good.
    Indeed re mutton. Had some last night. Even had beetroot in it, as well as parsnip. The colour effects were alarming.
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, ever had purple potatoes?
  • Options

Short term = next 10 years.

Long term = about 50 to 60 years

Based on the example of Irish independence were they started with much the same laws as the rest of the UK and then split.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 124
    There's an interesting thread on how trade negotiations normally work: by Dmitry Grozoubinski (a trade negotiator)

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1332385160646504450

To summarise, they always get stuck at the point that the civil servant negotiators run out of leeway, and stay there for ages because neither set of politicians wants to either concede first or give up. So the negotiators hang around for ages until their political masters agree to meet and hash it out. So much is actually normal.

The only difference here is that a) we have a hard deadline, and b) the politicians in this case have left it really late.
  • Options

I expect the disruption to be worst in January then rapidly get better as firms adapt.
    Don't know.

We will develop as Europe's version of Canada - a developed, western nation outside of a larger political union. Distinct and different, but just as developed and with many similarities.
    The trouble with that vision is that the EU isn’t Europe’s version of the USA. Canada doesn’t have separate bilateral relationships with every state.
    The EU wants to be Europe's version of the USA and is inexorably evolving that way. Europe is comparable to pre-Civil War USA (minus the whole slavery malarkey). The EU's ratchet effect means eventually it is going to either have to break the ratchet or it will be a federal country in its own right like the USA.

Total claptrap. You clearly have no understanding of European politics, culture or history. Certain Eurocrats would like a United States of Europe but it will not happen for at least a century if at all. Only the most stupid of stupid Brexiteers believe this nonsense because it suits their distorted anti-foreigner agenda. The only people that hate German dominance more than Brexiteers are 25 nations of the EU. It might happen in another 200 hundred years perhaps and by then most of Europe will speak English with American accents as a first language. The UK will either have rejoined or will be seen as an eccentric backwater.
    Total claptrap. The EU is already inexorably integrating that way, the amount that it has transformed in the past 25 years, or the 25 before that . . . the path is set. The EU of a quarter of a century from now will not be the EU of today. So we can either get on board with the destination, join the Euro etc - or get off and forge our own path.

You may be afraid of being "eccentric" but I am not such a coward as that.
  • Options
    Surprised and pleased to hear Philipe Lamberts, MEP of the EU Brexit steering group to openly back UK rights to its coastal waters and fish

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,351

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

I recommend it highly.

Yes finished it yesterday. Very good indeed. Kasparov was a consultant so all the chess moves (and there are many) are absolutely spot on - early on in the series Beth moved her knight which you could just see was thereby threatening the queen and another piece hence it signalled its serious chess credentials early.

Found myself pausing the tv often to see what was happening on the board.
    I haven't seen it and not that interested in chess, but was going to give it a go...but all.this talk about how accurate on the chess front it is, makes it sound like it is 10hrs of watching people play chess?
    You would have to be a real chess geek to notice the chess being accurate (or not).
    I was disappointed by the lack of chess.
    Also the chess itself is not 100% accurate, although it's close enough.
  • Options

Mr. Carnyx, ever had purple potatoes?

Oh yes! The National Trust for Scotland sells them at their garden(s) in Melrose, for an unusual souvenir of a day out, so we enjoyed them very much.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

I recommend it highly.

Ha ha. Do you live in London, Topping? I have lived in SE14 for the last decade and I'm pretty sure I've never been stabbed. I have honestly never lived anywhere nicer than this.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,367
    Scott_xP said:
    Mind meld. A mind melt is what has happened to a significant minority of Tory backbenchers.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

I recommend it highly.

Thanks I will.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,521

Don't know.

Total claptrap. The EU is already inexorably integrating that way, the amount that it has transformed in the past 25 years, or the 25 before that . . . the path is set. The EU of a quarter of a century from now will not be the EU of today. So we can either get on board with the destination, join the Euro etc - or get off and forge our own path.

You may be afraid of being "eccentric" but I am not such a coward as that.
    When do you expect the EU member states to adopt an anti-secession clause?
  • Options
    ajb said:

There's an interesting thread on how trade negotiations normally work: by Dmitry Grozoubinski (a trade negotiator)

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1332385160646504450

To summarise, they always get stuck at the point that the civil servant negotiators run out of leeway, and stay there for ages because neither set of politicians wants to either concede first or give up. So the negotiators hang around for ages until their political masters agree to meet and hash it out. So much is actually normal.

The only difference here is that a) we have a hard deadline, and b) the politicians in this case have left it really late.

I wonder if there is a special dynamic at play here too because every other trade negotiation is about making trade easier, so that the economic pie is bigger at the end of it, creating more space for compromise. For the first time, these negotiations are all about putting up barriers and shrinking the pie, and this makes it much more zero-sum (actually negative-sum). This must make it harder to find a compromise.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Carnyx said:

He could just get to fly Shagadelic Boris Force One with the Raff out of Northolt - and then quit once he's out of the country.

Apparent The Donald wants to fly on Air Force One to a rally in Florida during Biden's inauguration

Except it's not AF1 at that point...
    His practical problem is that his own plane hasn't been maintained for a few years, and doesn't have as many engines as it should.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

eek said:

maaarsh said:

Indeed - hauliers aren't fools and won't keep queuing up at the same ports if they're blocked up - they will very quickly find the least bad routes despite the inevitable coverage of lorry jams in the first week of Jan.
    And in the second week of January when they've created jams at the other ports?
    They will get used to filling in the required paperwork online before they head to the port.
    Using the system that won’t actually be ready until March?
    Precisely. Using your own timescale by next March it will be ready.

By this time next year they'll be fully used to it.

As I said: short term.
  • Options
    In the event of no deal both sides need to put in at least a 6 month implementation date
  • Options

Don't know.

Funny how in the simile market a "Canada" outcome is far more popular than a "Mexico" outcome. I would argue the latter is more likely based on the trajectory of events and the relative strength of the participants.

Of course Guadalajara on Thames isn't very catchy.

Or how about Ukraine, another country caught between trading blocks and identities?

In reality the outcome will be unique: the UK will be the only country in Europe that isn't a member of the EU, attempting to join the EU or with a trading agreement with the EU. That's not exceptionalism it's isolation.
    What relative strength differential do you see?

On a GDP per capita basis the UK has a higher, not lower, GDP than the EU does. Of course that's because the EU has a lot of Eastern Europe in it now, if you compare like for like with western Europe then the UK is quite typical.

But most non-EU developed western nations have a higher GDP per capita than the EU does.

The EU is not objectively "stronger" than the UK. If you think it is, please say how. And no simply having more people doesn't make you stronger or Nigeria would be much stronger than the UK.
  • Options

rpjs said:

eek said:

maaarsh said:

Indeed - hauliers aren't fools and won't keep queuing up at the same ports if they're blocked up - they will very quickly find the least bad routes despite the inevitable coverage of lorry jams in the first week of Jan.
    They will get used to filling in the required paperwork online before they head to the port.

That's like saying that if you blow up the bypass that's been there for 40 years, everyone will just adjust to driving through the villages so everything will be fine.
  • Options

rpjs said:

eek said:

maaarsh said:

That's like saying that if you blow up the bypass that's been there for 40 years, everyone will just adjust to driving through the villages so everything will be fine.
    People find a way to adapt. Don't be so petrified of change.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,799
    edited December 2020
    Her spend a penny nonsense is as bad as testing my eye sight...

Burley, who apologised over the incident and claimed she had only broken the rules because she needed to “spend a penny”, went to the Century Club in Soho, London, on Saturday night in a group of 10 that included Sky colleagues Beth Rigby, Inzamam Rashid and Sam Washington.

The group sat at two tables, of six and four, before going on to a nearby restaurant, Folie. A smaller group of four then returned to Burley’s home to continue the celebrations.

-------

So she went to.dinner with people not from her household...not allowed....then had people back to her house...not allowed. There is also claims that her popping into another venue for a tinkle, was actually 2hrs with other people.

That isn't an inadvertent rule break, as some sort of rule like don't go more than 5 miles from your house and you ended up being 6 because went to get petrol.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,544
    Bard pattern baldness.
    And some TSE style puns in the replies.
    https://twitter.com/BBCHughPym/status/1336210741892968449
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,678
    edited December 2020
    Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

I recommend it highly.

Thanks I will.
    Top Boy is quite confusing as the original 2-season series was made in 2011-2013 for Channel 4 and then cancelled. There was then a follow up made by Netflix in 2019 which carried on from those two seasons.

The first series is now called Top Boy: Summerhouse. And then Top Boy is the 2019 continuation. All three seasons are now on Netflix.

Hope that has cleared up any confusion!

:smile:
  • Options

rpjs said:

eek said:

maaarsh said:

Channelling your inner Khmer Rouge, I see.
  • Options

rpjs said:

eek said:

maaarsh said:

Since I'm not planning on adopting communism or murdering anyone - I'm going to go with no.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Bard pattern baldness.

He even looks like the Bard.
  • Options

Burley, who apologised over the incident and claimed she had only broken the rules because she needed to “spend a penny”, went to the Century Club in Soho, London, on Saturday night in a group of 10 that included Sky colleagues Beth Rigby, Inzamam Rashid and Sam Washington.

The group sat at two tables, of six and four, before going on to a nearby restaurant, Folie. A smaller group of four then returned to Burley’s home to continue the celebrations.

-------

So she went to.dinner with people not from her household...not allowed....then had people back to her house...not allowed.
    And apparently went to the second restaurant after curfew before taking people back to her home
  • Options

rpjs said:

eek said:

maaarsh said:

As soneone on PB pointedout in connection with the French Revolutionary Calendar, resetting to Year Zero would obviate any nonsense about having to Brexit by 1.1.2021.
  • Options

rpjs said:

eek said:

maaarsh said:

That's quite a blasé attitude. How will Brexit affect you, out of interest? Is it going to disrupt your work a lot? Have you had to make a lot of adaptations to how you work?
  • Options
    edited December 2020

-------

So she went to.dinner with people not from her household...not allowed....then had people back to her house...not allowed.
    And apparently went to the second restaurant after curfew before taking people back to her home
    And to think she is the female equivalent of Piers Moron....anybody interviewed who doesn't know the rules to the nth degree or unable to.answer to an crazy edge case scenario is lambasted.

And of course it wasn't just her, other members of Sky News team were involved.

But like Piers, when his son broke the rules, he was proud. Anybody else does and he screams at them.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,964

rpjs said:

eek said:

maaarsh said:

Ive got you down as an ISFJ
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The German carmakers have finally arrived.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,964

Scott_xP said:
    They can take your order but can they get it delivered ? :smiley:
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Just not in the way Daniel Hannan thought.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    https://order-order.com/2020/12/08/cummings-takes-back-control-of-klute/

As a student many years ago I went to visit a friend at Durham Uni....I can confirm it was the worst venue I have ever been to, by a large distance.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,611

kinabalu said:

Morning all. So, gosh, Brexit. It’s totally back at number 1 after the rude interregnum of the pandemic. And what a climax! After 4 years of blood sweat & tears it’s going to come down to 2 individuals in a room together on Thursday, our Prime Minster, Boris Johnson, and the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen. No bullshit this time, I sense. This really is it. The final showdown, mano a mano. Or mano a femo, because of course there will be a woman alone in the room with the PM and that is Ursula von der Leyen. So what, say the tiresome woke brigade with their pursed lips and whiny po faces. What’s that got to do with the price of fish? Normally nothing, is the answer, but in this case it’s (potentially) the vital ingredient and the great news is it’s in our favour. Because say what you like about Johnson he knows how to captivate the opposite sex. He’s done it all his life even when nothing is at stake, so surely here, with the future relationship between the UK and the EU on the line, he’ll be on top form and giving it both barrels. Ursula will get the full “Boris”. There’ll be some “little boy lost”, much amusing self-deprecation, he'll have his hair mussed up and probably wear odd socks, and lots of charming asides and diversions away from State Aid and Fishing Quotas into lighter topics such as what’s her favourite poem and that’s a rather fetching top she has on. And of course there will be promises from him. Promises promises promises. Will she succumb? Will we end up with a deal skewed in our favour and signed off before she realizes Johnson – now not returning her calls – has stitched her up like one of the millions of kippers the livid French will no longer be able to catch? It must be a possibility. But in any case, as I say, what a climax. You couldn’t script it any better.

I somehow think you channeled Sean for this post.
    If so it is something I definitely do not want to make a habit of!

But seriously, I remain of the firm opinion that the forces pushing in the direction of a deal, whilst quieter and less tabloid friendly, are vastly greater and more compelling than those working against it.

Therefore there will be one.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2020
    I see someone else has noticed the resemblance too.

https://twitter.com/stroodsue/status/1336215339777011712
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,072

Nigelb said:

Bard pattern baldness.

That hospital is my birthplace !
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Morning all. So, gosh, Brexit. It’s totally back at number 1 after the rude interregnum of the pandemic. And what a climax! After 4 years of blood sweat & tears it’s going to come down to 2 individuals in a room together on Thursday, our Prime Minster, Boris Johnson, and the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen. No bullshit this time, I sense. This really is it. The final showdown, mano a mano. Or mano a femo, because of course there will be a woman alone in the room with the PM and that is Ursula von der Leyen. So what, say the tiresome woke brigade with their pursed lips and whiny po faces. What’s that got to do with the price of fish? Normally nothing, is the answer, but in this case it’s (potentially) the vital ingredient and the great news is it’s in our favour. Because say what you like about Johnson he knows how to captivate the opposite sex. He’s done it all his life even when nothing is at stake, so surely here, with the future relationship between the UK and the EU on the line, he’ll be on top form and giving it both barrels. Ursula will get the full “Boris”. There’ll be some “little boy lost”, much amusing self-deprecation, he'll have his hair mussed up and probably wear odd socks, and lots of charming asides and diversions away from State Aid and Fishing Quotas into lighter topics such as what’s her favourite poem and that’s a rather fetching top she has on. And of course there will be promises from him. Promises promises promises. Will she succumb? Will we end up with a deal skewed in our favour and signed off before she realizes Johnson – now not returning her calls – has stitched her up like one of the millions of kippers the livid French will no longer be able to catch? It must be a possibility. But in any case, as I say, what a climax. You couldn’t script it any better.

But seriously, I remain of the firm opinion that the forces pushing in the direction of a deal, whilst quieter and less tabloid friendly, are vastly greater and more compelling than those working against it.

What odds though would you put on it? What chance you might be wrong?

Eg pre-election I gave Trump the equivalent odds of rolling Snake Eyes on 2d6 (1/36 chance) - where would you put the odds of talks failing to reach a deal?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Bard pattern baldness.

That hospital is my birthplace !
    A son of Shakespeare's regional health authority.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,250
    HMG has seriously improved its comms since you know who left.
    The first 2 with the vaccine are from Central Casting.
    Lord alone knows who Cummings would have thought suitable for the role.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Bard pattern baldness.

I said this morning all headlines for this story should be 'The Taming Of The Flu.'
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HMG has seriously improved its comms since you know who left.
    The first 2 with the vaccine are from Central Casting.
    Lord alone knows who Cummings would have thought suitable for the role.

His father-in-law and a group of superforecasters.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Bard pattern baldness.

Looks a bit nervous.

‘If you prick me, I’d better not bleed!’
    (some variant of which has been repeated a hundred times, no doubt)
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Why are these people getting the jab and not my mum! This government is an absolute disgrace!

Just thought I’d get that in before rest of the country says it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

No one should want SeanT in their channel for any length of time.
  • Options

In the event of no deal both sides need to put in at least a 6 month implementation date

In the event of No Deal, the champagne corks will be popping in ERG HQ. What makes you think they would allow Boris to sully their Precious by having an extension?
  • Options
    Johnson wont bring home a deal imho.
  • Options

"Adapt". To the imposition of a shitton of red tape which the Tories spend decades removing. Of mountains of pointless admin. Of a complete rethink of how they trade as we depart the just in time pan-European logistics network and have to think about stockpiling. Of rounds of painful price increases first of all imposed on their customers and then carried by consumers who as a consequence buy less.

What are the benefits of no deal again? Lower tariffs than the £0 we currently pay in the EU?
    Yes, adapt.

People do a shit ton of red tape all the time anyway. There will be some extra computerised red tape to deal with, shit but shit happens.

The benefits are a clean break from Europe. Severing the billions a year we pay to Europe, severing all control they have over our laws, severing all say they have over our customs etc - you know the kind of things we argued about for the past five years already.

In the future when we've gotten through the disruption we can look to negotiate a clean FTA as equals without any of the so-called LPF nonsense that isn't in any other FTA LPF.
    1. "Computerised red tape" means hiring people to program and run the computers. They don't run themselves. Its additional cost and burden of the exact kind you Tories have spent 40 years removing
    2. Brexit has already cost us more than we pay to Europe. And thats before our government gives out billions in subsidies to farmers and regions to replace the EU money
    3. "all say they have over customs". Yes, so whereas at the moment you stuff across Europe without customs, now you have to fuck around with customs and that is a gain is it?

Its all cost to business. Which means a cost to consumers. You think taxpayers are getting back a rebate for their proportion of the net monies spent with the EU?
  • Options
    edited December 2020

I'm beginning to wonder that too, but in a strange frozen way as if in a dream.

Everything looks in suspended animation, slowed down to a surreal stop at the moment of maximum urgency, and the negotiations vaguely pointless ; or will he suddenly perform one of his famous pirouette u-turns, dressed up as a tub-thumbing victory, and emerge into the sunlight to read out the news of the great win ?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    The result of Captain Hindsight one policy proposal...

https://twitter.com/timspector/status/1336258751947546624?s=19
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,705

-------

Irrespective of the Cummings affair, she should be sacked.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,245

As a student many years ago I went to visit a friend at Durham Uni....I can confirm it was the worst venue I have ever been to, by a large distance.

Legendarily awful.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Yep. It's like the final scene of Queens Gambit. 2 individuals locked in a bitter, tense battle of nerve, concentration, stamina and preparation for the ultimate prize.
    My money's on the female.
    Mine too in truth. The EU have the greater power in the negotiation and so the deal will imo have to respect their biggest red line - the integrity of the Single Market. I'm expecting Johnson to fall in line there (on LPF) and then sell the deal domestically on its 2 "wins", Fish and FOM, plus the notion that we can diverge from EU regs at some unidentified point in the future, subject to the t&cs.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,361

-------

So she went to.dinner with people not from her household...not allowed....then had people back to her house...not allowed. There is also claims that her popping into another venue for a tinkle, was actually 2hrs with other people.

That isn't an inadvertent rule break, as some sort of rule like don't go more than 5 miles from your house and you ended up being 6 because went to get petrol.
    Seriously, who cares? She works with these people all week right?
  • Options

Of course not. The sheer volume of work and stress it would entail in itself would put Boris off. It'll be probably be a bit crap or a bit of a fudge, but he'll agree something.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited December 2020

In the event of No Deal, the champagne corks will be popping in ERG HQ. What makes you think they would allow Boris to sully their Precious by having an extension?
    EU sipping champagne too. The longer we go with no deal the better the deal for the EU we eventually surrender to.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020
    I said no such thing. Why do you feel the need to do that?

I have never denied there might be disruption at the start of next year.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Bard pattern baldness.

Looks a bit nervous.

‘If you prick me, I’d better not bleed!’
    (some variant of which has been repeated a hundred times, no doubt)
    "By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."

Hopefully not a side-effect of the vaccine.....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,135
    And yet London is still Tier 2... Surely that cannot last.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

-------

Because tis the rules and like Piers Morgan has spent 6 months lambasting everybody else. Rank hypocrisy.
  • Options

Legendarily awful.
    In what sense?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Sure sounds like we hold all the cards like
  • Options

Legendarily awful.
    In what sense?
    Every sense
  • Options

Legendarily awful.
    In what sense?
    All five. And then your sixth.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Scott_xP said:
    Businesses would surely not be able to prepare in that eventuality, unless the implementation period was extended as some have been predicting.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

EU sipping champagne too. The longer we go with no deal the better the deal for the EU we eventually surrender to.
    Utterly delusional from the same people who thought that we would have no choice but to sign the EU's deal in the first place.

If there is no deal then people will dig in and become even more entrenched, it will poison the well. New talks will then begin ultimately with the UK having already diverged and no longer having a "level playing field". Plus they will begin with UK fishermen being the ones who fish the UK's fish.

Plus the UK one way or another will be the other side of the disruption that so many of you are afraid of facing already.

In what possible way does any of that aid the EU's terms?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,361

-------

Because tis the rules and like Piers Morgan has spent 6 months lambasting everybody else. Rank hypocrisy.
    I find it impossible to care. Ditto Cummings, as I said on here at the time.

(Realise other people are obsessed by this stuff though)
  • Options

I said no such thing. Why do you feel the need to do that?

I have never denied there might be disruption at the start of next year.
    You have said repeatedly that allegations of mass shortages in NI were untrue. I told you the supermarkets have all said it. You insist they say the opposite. Now we have the FDF saying the same.

Mass. Shortages. They know what they are talking about. You do not.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,147
    LOL. Journalists never shovel it out of the door before checking properly:

https://twitter.com/BBCSimonJack/status/1336266718759563264
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Businesses would surely not be able to prepare in that eventuality, unless the implementation period was extended as some have been predicting.
    It's their own fault for not preparing already apparently
  • Options

-------

Oh, the Corona virus must LOVE you.....
  • Options

Legendarily awful.
    In what sense?
    All five. And then your sixth.
    One of.my enduring memories of my only ever visit, was asking where are the toilets in this place....and told just follow the smell of piss, you won't miss them.
  • Options
    Thank God people in Northern Ireland have absolutely no history of kicking off when the Brits do something they don't like... Oh.
    Still, at least it's not like the British have any form when it comes to preventing the Irish from having enough food... Ah.
    Still... Fish, or something.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    So are they saying that if there's No Deal, there will never be a deal?
  • Options
    Here’s a prediction... Boris objects to LPF arrangement but nonetheless agrees with EU leaders on Thursday to bring it back to Parliament for a free vote... gets it over the line, assuming SKS plays ball, without accepting personal responsibility...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Unless your book club is currently on Finnegan's Wake and you are seeking to emulate the great man can we please have some paragraphs.

TIA.
    I'm slightly easier to read than him, I hope! Anyway, ok and noted, but when I'm messing around I try to compress and not use too much screen. That way people can see it, go "Oh, he's done one another of those", and just skip it if they're not in the mood.
  • Options
    They say negotiations won't continue into next year, but they don't say the implementation period won't.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Your future is currently to be fucked over by Asia, EU.
  • Options
    MattW said:

LOL. Journalists never shovel it out of the door before checking properly:

https://twitter.com/BBCSimonJack/status/1336266718759563264
    LOL!
This discussion has been closed.