Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This Georgia runoff polling’s looking positive for the Democrats and Senate control might be in reac

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited December 2020 in General
imageThis Georgia runoff polling’s looking positive for the Democrats and Senate control might be in reach – politicalbetting.com

Sore loser and lame duck President, Trump, is planing to visit Georgia in the next two days in order to give his backing to GOP contenders in the two senate runoff races that take place on January 5th.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Warnock is indeed radical, even by UK standards. I would be amazed if he gets elected, although I live in hope.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,746
    edited December 2020
    Second, like Trump, and with a bit of luck the GOP in GA
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,593
    >
    IanB2 said:

New thread

Where??
    It's behind you.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    Now I see it. It wasnt here before.
  • Options
    MattW said:

>

IanB2 said:

New thread

Where??
    It's behind you.
    Oh no it isn't......
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2020
    Stating the obvious, really. We've made our bed; now we have to lie in it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    Over, for now, he said. Not over forever, obviously.

I don't think Rejoin will be on any major parties manifesto in 2024, but quite likely for the one after that.
  • Options

Or maybe get up and make it work
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,649
    (FPT)
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

Totally O/T, I have just had a drive in a Mercedes EQC400 (All Electric). The acceleration it has is simply astounding.

Limited to 112mph so it can fuck right off.

However, the EV revolution is certainly in full swing and I would not be buying any IC vehicle unless it was collectable or had otherwise rock solid residuals. The market is going to collapse over the next five years.
    Why is the market is going to collapse over the next five years?
    'Cos everyone will be buying electric, and it will become increasingly hard to run ICE vehicles.
    In five years?
    In five years it will be very obvious that they're going to stop making new ICE vehicles imminently, if they haven't already done so. (Honda, for example, will do so in 2022).

For the very large number of people who just run the car locally, this sort of thing will be the future. For about £4k new.
    https://insideevs.com/news/458005/china-wuling-hong-guang-mini-sales-november/
  • Options

Which basically means trying to salvage some bits from the wreckage.
  • Options
    This thing is so full of turnout mysteries.

Usually the turnout would collapse after the presidential election - I think 2008 was like 60% of the previous November, but what happens when it decides the Senate?

Usually the losing side would be riled up and turn out, but what happens when both sides think they've won?

Dems are programmed to vote by mail and GOP in-person. Given high organization that sounds like it will work for the Dem side, but do people going out to vote help encourage their neighbours to go out to vote?

The whole insane stop-the-steal boycott angle - I mean, WTF?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,988
    Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

Totally O/T, I have just had a drive in a Mercedes EQC400 (All Electric). The acceleration it has is simply astounding.

However, the EV revolution is certainly in full swing and I would not be buying any IC vehicle unless it was collectable or had otherwise rock solid residuals. The market is going to collapse over the next five years.
    'Cos everyone will be buying electric, and it will become increasingly hard to run ICE vehicles.
    In five years?
    In five years it will be very obvious that they're going to stop making new ICE vehicles imminently, if they haven't already done so. (Honda, for example, will do so in 2022).

For the very large number of people who just run the car locally, this sort of thing will be the future. For about £4k new.
    I suspect by the time our road safety requirements are met - it's going to be nearer £10k but even so - I do believe a lot of people will just have low range (100 miles or so) cars for day to day use and then hire a longer range item for the odd times they need to travel a long way.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

There will be change but I expect it will not be greatly different as the debate moves on

Tony Blair is correct
  • Options
    FPT:
    Stocky said:

Stock market: I, Like @IanB2 , have been very bullish about stock markets - which seem to me to be defying gravity.

Having said that, the traditional "Santa Rally" in share prices could bring significant movement on the upside this year, as the timing will chime with vaccines going into arms.

Any views on this?

My worry would be that much of the good news - the vaccine cavalry in sight, and the expectation of a Brexit deal (hence the rising £) - is already baked into the markets. Thus one would think there is mostly downside risk.

In the US, which was at record highs before the vaccine announcements and which is now just over 30,000 in expectation of yet another stimulus package, looks the most vulnerable. Despite our relief at Trump's presumed departure, the tough decisions are going to be stacking up on Biden's desk, and this and he won't be so market-friendly.

In the UK it all depends on the extent of January disruption, and a safety-first approach looks sensible.

The santa rally is usually reliable - originating from the tendency of investors to review their holdings during the holiday period and make new investments along with their new year resolutions - and has become a self fulfilling prophecy as punters pile in at this time of year in anticipation.

I've done pretty well so far from the vaccine boost - the Carnival shares I mentioned buying on here in the summer for just below £10 looked initially like a mistake, but are now rising toward £15, I've nearly doubled my money on Rolls Royce, am up about 50% on Royal Mail, and the other recovery shares I have - WH Smith, Lloyd's Bank, Shell, as well as various ITs like RIT, JMG, Temple Bar, are all doing well.

If there's a Brexit deal I may take an up spread bet on the FTSE in anticipation of Santa but look to close it between Xmas and New Year, rather than hold into the early days of January as usual, as the Jan 1 risk is still there. If there's no Brexit deal I'm not playing this year. I am also inclined to reduce risk by taking a down bet on the DOW while it's above 30,000; an insurance position it is worth sticking with into 2021.

Despite the above the bulk of my holdings are defensive, reflecting both outlook and character, and I'll be mostly sticking with the index linked bonds, gold, and safety-first funds like Troy Trojan, Ruffer and BNY Real Return until my pension arrives in 2022.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    I still expect the GOP to hold both seats. Historically Dem turnout has been far lower in the runoffs
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Foxy said:

I don't think Rejoin will be on any major parties manifesto in 2024, but quite likely for the one after that.
    Mandelson came close to accepting some blame for the current Brexit situation here but then reverts to blaming Corbyn, Lib Dems, SNP:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/03/labour-fall-out-over-brexit-boris-johnson-deal
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    Scott_xP said:
    Whether Starmer does or doesn`t back the deal should come down to how good or bad the deal is. Simple as that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

In five years?

The comparison with digital imagery is a very good one.

I'm delighted at the moment a new supermarket is being built on my road and it comes with a petrol station. Remarkably there are no petrol stations in my part of town so I need to drive out of my way just to refuel so this will be one less headache once built.

However once there's a critical mass of Electric Vehicles and recharging there'll be a lot less incentive to build new fuel stations. Then there'll be lot less incentive to maintain existing ones. Eventually the petrol station will go the way of film processing shops.

The market can adapt to these changes very rapidly and it becomes a positive reinforcement cycle.

Fewer ICV leads to fewer petrol stations gives another incentive not to buy an ICV leads to even fewer stations.
  • Options

Foxy said:

There will be change but I expect it will not be greatly different as the debate moves on

Tony Blair is correct
    I have always said that Brexit will go with a whimper, not a bang*. Just gradual a way point in the decline of the country.

*the end of the United Kingdom being perhaps the exception.
  • Options
    If Labour is to stand a chance of regaining it's former red wall seats, there are two preconditions to be met.

One is to neutralise the Brexit issue and move on, such that voting Leave in 2016 is no longer the most important pointer to voting Conservative. So long as Starmer gives qualified backing for Johnson's agreement in parliament, I think that will be achieved. The fact that Blair is signalling that it's time to move on is very welcome, because it relegates any "rejoin" lobby to the political fringes.

The other is to be able to show, unequivocally, that Corbyn and his followers no longer have any real influence within the party. That could have been done fairly quietly, almost by default. However, it now looks like the only way to do that is to win a very messy civil war, because Corbyn's faction have chosen to go out kicking and screaming.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:
    Whether Starmer does or doesn`t back the deal should come down to how good or bad the deal is. Simple as that.
    Whether Starmer does or doesn't back a deal is meaningless fluff only cared about by politics geeks.

The "red wall voters" won't care if he abstains or votes for. If he votes against that's another matter.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:
    Strarmer said yesterday if it was a question of deal or no deal he would back the deal
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Started snowing here. And settling.

Must be heavy in the Pennines, and Scotland.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:
    On a lot of levels Starmer just needs to let his MPs have the night off.

The Tories will own this one way or another so let them vote for or reject it.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

In five years?

I suspect by the time our road safety requirements are met - it's going to be nearer £10k but even so - I do believe a lot of people will just have low range (100 miles or so) cars for day to day use and then hire a longer range item for the odd times they need to travel a long way.
    Of note - it's definitely a case with that car that you get what you pay for see https://insideevs.com/news/450654/review-wuling-hong-guang-mini-ev/
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    If Boris brings back a deal, and Labour combine with Tory rebels to vote it down and give us No Deal... surely that's a disaster?
  • Options
    Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.03
    Democrats 1.03
    Biden PV 1.02
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.03
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.03
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.05
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.05
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.04
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.05
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 no offers

AZ Dem 1.03
    GA Dem 1.05
    MI Dem 1.03
    NV Dem 1.03
    PA Dem 1.04
    WI Dem 1.04

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.12
    Trump exit date 2021 1.07
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Tony Blair is correct
    I have always said that Brexit will go with a whimper, not a bang*. Just gradual a way point in the decline of the country.

Uniting two (off-)topics of this thread, it is of course very unfortunate that Brexit is occurring just as car manufacturers are switching from ICE to electric production. What incentive is there for car manufacturers to set up new factories and production lines in new, "fuck business", UK? I think we're going to have our work cut out simply to maintain the UK's position as a mass manufacturer of cars!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

Silk purses and pigs ears come to mind.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    As Nate Silver said yesterday be very wary of these Georgia polls, they imply a much lower GOP turnout than at the Presidential election

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1334520197139587074?s=20

The last runoff poll had Loeffler ahead anyway
    https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1329255402157043713?s=20

A Democratic win in both Georgia Senate races would also be a disaster for the US in my view, Biden won to remove Trump and to bring about a calmer period of pragmatic moderation like Bush 41 in 1989 (the last President to enter office without his party in full control of Congress) not to hand power from Trump to AOC and the far left which is what would happen if the Democrats won the Senate via Harris' casting vote as well as the House and the Presidency.

It would then be AOC and Pelosi setting the agenda with Schumer and Biden would just be a pawn for them with an equally large conservative backlash at the 2022 midterms

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Tony Blair is correct

I'm expecting the same from my health: a gradual decline, with death perhaps being the exception.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

If Boris brings back a deal, and Labour combine with Tory rebels to vote it down and give us No Deal... surely that's a disaster?
    They won't, Starmer wants to bring back the Red Wall so has made clear he will not oppose any Deal Boris gets, the main opposition will come from the ERG to any EU trade deal but Labour support would ensure it passes anyway
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited December 2020

If Labour is to stand a chance of regaining it's former red wall seats, there are two preconditions to be met.

One is to neutralise the Brexit issue and move on, such that voting Leave in 2016 is no longer the most important pointer to voting Conservative. So long as Starmer gives qualified backing for Johnson's agreement in parliament, I think that will be achieved. The fact that Blair is signalling that it's time to move on is very welcome, because it relegates any "rejoin" lobby to the political fringes.

The other is to be able to show, unequivocally, that Corbyn and his followers no longer have any real influence within the party. That could have been done fairly quietly, almost by default. However, it now looks like the only way to do that is to win a very messy civil war, because Corbyn's faction have chosen to go out kicking and screaming.
    From outside the party, it looks the other way round, and that Starmer has been pushed (whether reluctantly or willingly) by the right into taking on the left. I'm not sure what good it will do, except perhaps for Labour's opponents.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,593
    Scott_xP said:
    The interesting remark there is the one about how outrageous disagreeing with the leadership is .. Stalinist National Party :smile: .
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

In five years?

It's a GM joint venture, so might come to Europe quite soon (cheaper than paying Tesla for carbon credits as they're doing now).
    The fully specced model with ABS etc is around $5,500 - though of course there would be VAT on top of that over here.

The other point, of course, is that if Tesla's new battery format works as planned for mass production, battery prices will just about halve in the next three to four years.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:

A Democratic win in both Georgia Senate races would also be a disaster for the US in my view, Biden won to remove Trump and to bring about a calmer period of pragmatic moderation like Bush 41 in 1989 (the last President to enter office without his party in full control of Congress) not to hand power from Trump to AOC and the far left which is what would happen if the Democrats won the Senate via Harris' casting vote as well as the House and the Presidency.

It would then be AOC and Pelosi setting the agenda with Schumer and Biden would just be a pawn for them with an equally large conservative backlash at the 2022 midterms

They couldn't pass anything without unanimous support including Joe Manchin, and that's without needing to defeat a filibuster, which they'd still need to do assuming Manchin opposes its abolition, which he says he would. So no, a 50/50 Senate is not going to hand power to AOC.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Tony Blair is correct

Of course there was a civil war in Ireland last time part of the UK broke up and that was only part of Ireland not even all of it
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Bruno Waterfield is a Brexiteer propagandist who has consistently reported nonsense on the negotiations.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,258
    HYUFD said:

As Nate Silver said yesterday be very wary of these Georgia polls, they imply a much lower GOP turnout than at the Presidential election

what a load of old cobblers
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Bradshaw represents Remain voting Exeter, not a Northern, Midlands or Welsh Leave voting Labour seat
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    What those LPF arrangements are is what matters. The UK has said it will accept Canada style LPF arrangements. It is not the UK rejecting that. 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Blair was quite sensible last night I thought, saying Brexit was not going to be reversed but neither could we ignore the need for a relationship with Europe, especially in a world of trading power blocks
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:
    Whether Starmer does or doesn't back a deal is meaningless fluff only cared about by politics geeks.

The "red wall voters" won't care if he abstains or votes for. If he votes against that's another matter.
    The deal will be announced quite soon now so you need to gird your loins for the big sell. No pressure.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    She is excellent. Other than Rishi she would be my preference for next PM.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247
    HYUFD said:

As Nate Silver said yesterday be very wary of these Georgia polls, they imply a much lower GOP turnout than at the Presidential election.

Which might happen given the orange hued Love Object is not on the ballot for this.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    She is excellent. Other than Rishi she would be my preference for next PM.
    State of the Tory party.
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

what a load of old cobblers
    Yes, utter nonsense.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

In five years?

The comparison with digital imagery is a very good one.

I'm delighted at the moment a new supermarket is being built on my road and it comes with a petrol station. Remarkably there are no petrol stations in my part of town so I need to drive out of my way just to refuel so this will be one less headache once built.

However once there's a critical mass of Electric Vehicles and recharging there'll be a lot less incentive to build new fuel stations. Then there'll be lot less incentive to maintain existing ones. Eventually the petrol station will go the way of film processing shops.

The market can adapt to these changes very rapidly and it becomes a positive reinforcement cycle.

Fewer ICV leads to fewer petrol stations gives another incentive not to buy an ICV leads to even fewer stations.
    Won't most of them become charging points? With competition for ancillary activities on site to keep people amused while they wait.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    edited December 2020
    The thread is based on fieldwork from the first Georgia poll in almost three weeks. Given that the statewide polls in the presidential election were all over the place, I think we still have to be very wary. The previous ones did not bode well for the Democrats, and nor did the results of the actual voting on November 4th.

The Democrats are obviously still in with a chance. I think a better indicator might be the way that Trump's national approval rating fares over the next few weeks, although that so far has declined only slightly albeit with some very contradictory results within that average (eg. latest Rasmussen +2, Ipsos -21). It's possible that as reality bites, and he goes out with a discredited whimper, his diehard supporters will lose heart and be less inclined to turn out, whereas morale and turnout will still be high in the Democrat camp. That's their best scenario. I still think that it's very much a long shot for the Dems to pick up both seats as opposed to just one, although I'd very much like to be wrong on that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

In five years?

It's a GM joint venture, so might come to Europe quite soon (cheaper than paying Tesla for carbon credits as they're doing now).
    The fully specced model with ABS etc is around $5,500 - though of course there would be VAT on top of that over here.

The other point, of course, is that if Tesla's new battery format works as planned for mass production, battery prices will just about halve in the next three to four years.
    Crash test (with over-excitable commentary)...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McOrMN9cQ_E
  • Options
    F1: for reasons I don't understand, the second Bahrain (Sakhir) Grand Prix will have qualifying at 5pm and a race start time of 5.10pm.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

As Nate Silver said yesterday be very wary of these Georgia polls, they imply a much lower GOP turnout than at the Presidential election.

Which might happen given the orange hued Love Object is not on the ballot for this.
    That will lower Democratic turnout too and the prospect of AOC and the far left driving the agenda will push GOP turnout once Biden is confirmed as EC winner by the EC on Dec 14th
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    eek said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

In five years?

Of note - it's definitely a case with that car that you get what you pay for see https://insideevs.com/news/450654/review-wuling-hong-guang-mini-ev/
    Been thinking about electric; current deal runs out at the end of 2021 so will have to think. Trouble is we do most of our driving within about a 30 miles radius...... electric fine....... no we can't use a bus. For much of it.
    Then we do a bit more around about 100-150 mile round trip. That's fine, too
    Then we (still) drive to UK relations and holidays 250 miles plus. OK, rent an ICV car.
    Trouble is renting as an 80+ driver isn't quite as easy. Even with a clean licence.
  • Options
    Worth watching the news that follows too:

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1334799510032232450?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Tony Blair is correct

Of course there was a civil war in Ireland last time part of the UK broke up and that was only part of Ireland not even all of it
    Can't help thinking that there's a note of lascivious anticipation there.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Barely any net favourability for the clown.

I had to look Amanda Milling up. What's she done or not done to upset the kippers on ConHome?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

In five years?

I remember fifty years ago there were some vehicles that looked remarkably similar to that in their lack of any design element. "Invalid cariages". (Not sure that would be a great marketing campaign now!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invalid_carriage#/media/File:Invacar_1973_(4).JPG
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

That will lower Democratic turnout too and the prospect of AOC and the far left driving the agenda will push GOP turnout once Biden is confirmed as EC winner by the EC on Dec 14th
    There is no prospect of that, except in the fevered imagination of the Trumpaloopas.

A Republican win would mean at least two years of legislative standstill, if not outright budget sabotage.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

In five years?

I remember fifty years ago there were some vehicles that looked remarkably similar to that in their lack of any design element. "Invalid cariages". (Not sure that would be a great marketing campaign now!)

Wouldn't want to run one of those into a concrete block at 30mph.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Bradshaw represents Remain voting Exeter, not a Northern, Midlands or Welsh Leave voting Labour seat
    Indeed. Starmer shouldn't be listening just to those MPs who survived in December 2019. The balance of opinion in the Parliamentary Labour Party might not be particularly aligned with political needs, because too many of those MPs in Northern, Midlands and Welsh Leave voting seats now wear blue rosettes.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,305
    Foxy said:

As far as Blair is concerned it's the Euro all over again. He's never been interested in a political argument unless he's thought that he's already won it. Which is why the campaign to convince us to join the Euro sank without a trace.

The only surprising thing is that he's being more honest about it now than he was then.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

There is no prospect of that, except in the fevered imagination of the Trumpaloopas.

A Republican win would mean at least two years of legislative standstill, if not outright budget sabotage.
    It would mean Biden forced to compromise with the GOP, not the Democrats in control of every branch of Federal Government and AOC and Pelosi pushing the agenda leading to Tea Party 2 with bells on and a huge conservative backlash in the 2022 midterms
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    edited December 2020
    F1: Perez down to 26 to win. He was 61 a few days ago. That's a pretty dramatic shift, even though a circuit of straights should be Racing Point-friendly.

Intrigued to see how practice goes.

Edited extra bit: put a tiny sum on Stroll at 101 (with boost) each way to win. Just in case.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Farage pushing 'stop the boats' like his close friend Tony Abbott did in 2013

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/1334803354699108353?s=20
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

In five years?

Wouldn't want to run one of those into a concrete block at 30mph.
    And then there was the Reliant Robin.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

Stocky said:

Stock market: I, Like @IanB2 , have been very bullish about stock markets - which seem to me to be defying gravity.

Having said that, the traditional "Santa Rally" in share prices could bring significant movement on the upside this year, as the timing will chime with vaccines going into arms.

Any views on this?

My worry would be that much of the good news - the vaccine cavalry in sight, and the expectation of a Brexit deal (hence the rising £) - is already baked into the markets. Thus one would think there is mostly downside risk.

In the US, which was at record highs before the vaccine announcements and which is now just over 30,000 in expectation of yet another stimulus package, looks the most vulnerable. Despite our relief at Trump's presumed departure, the tough decisions are going to be stacking up on Biden's desk, and this and he won't be so market-friendly.

In the UK it all depends on the extent of January disruption, and a safety-first approach looks sensible.

The santa rally is usually reliable - originating from the tendency of investors to review their holdings during the holiday period and make new investments along with their new year resolutions - and has become a self fulfilling prophecy as punters pile in at this time of year in anticipation.

I've done pretty well so far from the vaccine boost - the Carnival shares I mentioned buying on here in the summer for just below £10 looked initially like a mistake, but are now rising toward £15, I've nearly doubled my money on Rolls Royce, am up about 50% on Royal Mail, and the other recovery shares I have - WH Smith, Lloyd's Bank, Shell, as well as various ITs like RIT, JMG, Temple Bar, are all doing well.

If there's a Brexit deal I may take an up spread bet on the FTSE in anticipation of Santa but look to close it between Xmas and New Year, rather than hold into the early days of January as usual, as the Jan 1 risk is still there. If there's no Brexit deal I'm not playing this year. I am also inclined to reduce risk by taking a down bet on the DOW while it's above 30,000; an insurance position it is worth sticking with into 2021.

Despite the above the bulk of my holdings are defensive, reflecting both outlook and character, and I'll be mostly sticking with the index linked bonds, gold, and safety-first funds like Troy Trojan, Ruffer and BNY Real Return until my pension arrives in 2022.
    I agree with that.

My equities have done well this year, after I went 90% cash in Feb, then reinvested in April once the peak had passed. That is going to be hard to replicate in terms of timing!

I expect a bit more of a rally, but there is misery to come, with many retail and hospitality failures in Q1. I am sceptical of airlines and cruise lines too. They simply don't look cheap to me, and are going to report further losses.

My best performing recovery stocks have been miners (ANTO, RIO and S32), and defensives that I bought at good prices in April (Rentokil, Synth), with my bank stocks fairly neutral (HSBA and STAN), though a few months ago they were substantially down. I have started some profit taking to rebalanced my portfolio.

I am bearish on the American markets, which look rather peaky. Republican Senators are deficit hawks in Dem administrations and deficit deniers in Republican ones. I see some harsh austerity coming in the US.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Trouble is, you can only (assuming its wise) "turn back the boats" in international waters - which doesn't exist in the Straits of Dover. The waters are either French (which we can't enter) or British (in which case the boats are our responsibility). But apart from that...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Hopefully the Democrats can take at least one. Loeffler doesn't have incumbency and she's more crackers than Purdue, so Warnock might have a better chance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Vaccine has fcuked the anti lockdown grift obviously
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

It would mean Biden forced to compromise with the GOP, not the Democrats in control of every branch of Federal Government and AOC and Pelosi pushing the agenda leading to Tea Party 2 with bells on and a huge conservative backlash in the 2022 midterms
    There is no compromise with the GOP - did you not follow Obama's presidency at all ? And that was when they were relatively moderate compared to the present incarnation.
    As has been pointed out to you above, a 50/50 Senate (with a Harris casting vote) would still need the votes of the right of centre Democrats to get any legislation through. The chances of AOC "pushing the agenda" are zero.
    A Republican majority led by McConnell would block everything, as they did before.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tony Abbott did that in international waters.

Can you draw a map of international waters in the Channel?
  • Options
    BBC News - Covid: Wales 'must act now' insists health minister

"We lost all our business in the October half-term from the firebreak lockdown, which was a real first blow. We were promised everything would open up for Christmas and now we're in the same situation."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55167513
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

There is no compromise with the GOP - did you not follow Obama's presidency at all ? And that was when they were relatively moderate compared to the present incarnation.
    As has been pointed out to you above, a 50/50 Senate (with a Harris casting vote) would still need the votes of the right of centre Democrats to get any legislation through. The chances of AOC "pushing the agenda" are zero.
    A Republican majority led by McConnell would block everything, as they did before.
    In the Obama presidency he held all 3 branches of government and there GOP won a landslide in the House in the 2010 midterms, the left were also not as strong in 2010, they are now under AOC and will drive the agenda.

Americans did not vote for a shift left and to change much, they voted to get rid of Trump, that is it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

In the Obama presidency he held all 3 branches of government and there GOP won a landslide in the House in the 2010 midterms, the left were also not as strong in 2010, they are now under AOC and will drive the agenda.

Americans did not vote for a shift left and to change much, they voted to get rid of Trump, that is it
    Evidence free burbling.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    No, the passport to the elite is talking the right way and knowing the right people, same as it has always been. That being a racist prick has become sufficiently socially unacceptable that even an OE can't get away with it anymore is surely something to be welcomed.
  • Options

Foxy said:

As far as Blair is concerned it's the Euro all over again. He's never been interested in a political argument unless he's thought that he's already won it. Which is why the campaign to convince us to join the Euro sank without a trace.

The only surprising thing is that he's being more honest about it now than he was then.
    Pragmatically, he was probably correct then; the Euro argument wasn't winnable at the time, and therefore not worth the expenditure of political capital.

It's the same here. It doesn't matter that this government has set itself a task (making their version of Brexit a success) that would have taxed a leader with the steely determination of Thatcher in her pomp, the backroom dark arts of Wilson at his most cunning, the doggedness of Major, the charm of Blair, the analytics of Brown and the salesmanship and verve of early Cameron all at once. (Add the best things about May, Callaghan and anyone else if you want to.) It doesn't matter that we have a third rate Prime Minister with a fourth rate Cabinet whose only real talents are superficial bonhomie and understanding of gang dynamics.

He's won the right to try to do it his way. Nothing I have seen makes me confident that it will work, but that decision has been taken. And all we can do is hope.

But in the event, perish the thought, that this doesn't work, the Rejoin argument will inevitably be made, and if enough people are convinced by it, it will happen. Not immediately, but not never, either.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I just wish the Nigel had the balls to say what he is thinking - sink the boats. Like the Italians did.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Stocky said:

Any views on this?

I agree with that.

My equities have done well this year, after I went 90% cash in Feb, then reinvested in April once the peak had passed. That is going to be hard to replicate in terms of timing!

I expect a bit more of a rally, but there is misery to come, with many retail and hospitality failures in Q1. I am sceptical of airlines and cruise lines too. They simply don't look cheap to me, and are going to report further losses.

My best performing recovery stocks have been miners (ANTO, RIO and S32), and defensives that I bought at good prices in April (Rentokil, Synth), with my bank stocks fairly neutral (HSBA and STAN), though a few months ago they were substantially down. I have started some profit taking to rebalanced my portfolio.

I am bearish on the American markets, which look rather peaky. Republican Senators are deficit hawks in Dem administrations and deficit deniers in Republican ones. I see some harsh austerity coming in the US.

Thanks IanB and Foxy - though I`ve just noticed a brain-fart in my original post. I said "bullish" where I should have said "bearish" - jeez what a rookie error. I`ve thrashed myself accordingly.

I`ve done well of late on IAG shares (BA). Bought at 96p, sold at £1.60 - within a month.

My portfolio is very cautious overall at the moment. But I do think a Santa rally could be a thing this year. And agree that buying now with a view to selling between Xmas Day and the New Year is the best tactic.

I`ve recently bought Flutter Entertainment shares (BF and PP), as I don`t think the humongous sums taken in the election are factored in. Though I will sell in short term due to concerns about reputational damage due to settlement delays. But DYOR blah blah.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The main problem is the power wielded by the Senate Majority Leader. If that's McConnell then he won't allow Biden the opportunity to compromise with centrist GOP Senators, because he well simply refuse to bring things to the Senate to be voted on.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Tony Abbott did that in international waters.

Can you draw a map of international waters in the Channel?
    Yeah- it's Farage whipping up an angry storm and ignoring the practical difficulties of governments who have to live in the real world.

So no change there, then.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

HYUFD said:

Trouble is, you can only (assuming its wise) "turn back the boats" in international waters - which doesn't exist in the Straits of Dover. The waters are either French (which we can't enter) or British (in which case the boats are our responsibility). But apart from that...
    That's balls. They could do interceptions in British waters, load the refugees into lifeboats, tow them west until the British and French EEZs diverge (say as far as Roscoff) and leave them just outside the French EEZ with only enough fuel to get to France. That's exactly what the RAN did with boats from Indonesia.

Saying it "can't" be done is absolute cobblers. It absolutely could be done but the UK government doesn't have the stomach for it.

I am not commending it as a course of action but to pretend its impossible is just dishonest cowardice. But what else would you expect from tories. That virtue isn't going to signal itself.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The main problem is the power wielded by the Senate Majority Leader. If that's McConnell then he won't allow Biden the opportunity to compromise with centrist GOP Senators, because he well simply refuse to bring things to the Senate to be voted on.
    Two words make that point - Merrick Garland.
    Who. after all, was a compromise in order to get Republican votes.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pragmatically, he was probably correct then; the Euro argument wasn't winnable at the time, and therefore not worth the expenditure of political capital.

It's the same here. It doesn't matter that this government has set itself a task (making their version of Brexit a success) that would have taxed a leader with the steely determination of Thatcher in her pomp, the backroom dark arts of Wilson at his most cunning, the doggedness of Major, the charm of Blair, the analytics of Brown and the salesmanship and verve of early Cameron all at once. (Add the best things about May, Callaghan and anyone else if you want to.) It doesn't matter that we have a third rate Prime Minister with a fourth rate Cabinet whose only real talents are superficial bonhomie and understanding of gang dynamics.

He's won the right to try to do it his way. Nothing I have seen makes me confident that it will work, but that decision has been taken. And all we can do is hope.

But in the event, perish the thought, that this doesn't work, the Rejoin argument will inevitably be made, and if enough people are convinced by it, it will happen. Not immediately, but not never, either.
    The problem is that changing political views takes time and effort. The Eurosceptics didn't shrug their shoulders in 1998 and say that the time wasn't right to win political arguments on the EU. They fought the trench warfare of changing public opinion.

That's why the time was never right for us to join the Euro, but we now find ourselves out of the EU and heading for a thin trade deal at best.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Evidence free burbling.
    If the Democrats win the Senate, I predict the GOP would win a landslide of huge proportions in the 2022 midterms, Pelosi and Schumer backed by AOC would push a left agenda every day of the new Congress and Biden would be too weak to say no.

Americans were not voting for the left, they narrowly voted to remove Trump, that was it, beyond that they want no further change and certainly no change to the cultural left
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,327
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

That's balls. They could do interceptions in British waters, load the refugees into lifeboats, tow them west until the British and French EEZs diverge (say as far as Roscoff) and leave them just outside the French EEZ with only enough fuel to get to France. That's exactly what the RAN did with boats from Indonesia.

Saying it "can't" be done is absolute cobblers. It absolutely could be done but the UK government doesn't have the stomach for it.

I am not commending it as a course of action but to pretend its impossible is just dishonest cowardice. But what else would you expect from tories. That virtue isn't going to signal itself.
    So the fact that the Tories might be trying to avoid towing boatloads full of refugees out into the middle of the sea somehow shows the Tories are shits?

I mean don't get me wrong - I am no longer a member of the party but that is some tortuous logic.

Oh and where were you yesterday during the wet weather bike debate?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Isn't the issue that once they're in our waters they have a right to claim asylum so can't just be then dumped back into international waters?

That's why the Aussies intercepted them in international waters not domestic waters.

Otherwise what's to stop us from rounding people up on the beach, then dumping them in international waters like you propose?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The Democrats may win control (just) of the Executive and Legislative branches, but they won't win the Judicial - not before the next Presidential anyway.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    TOPPING said:

Oh and where were you yesterday during the wet weather bike debate?

Probably out on my bike. Trying to crack 10,000km for 2020.
This discussion has been closed.