Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As Trump struggles to hang Biden extends his favourability lead over Trump 9% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

How is he undermining them?

He's listing one of the many benefits of vaccination.
    It feeds the anti-vax conspiracy that THEY are forcing you to take this to control your mind etc etc.
  • Options
    Disgraceful.

Ministers reject call for public inquiry into Pat Finucane murder

Announcement comes despite intense pressure for fresh investigation into 1989 death of Belfast solicitor

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/30/ministers-reject-call-for-public-inquiry-into-pat-finucane
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited November 2020

Mr Hancock says a programme across all UK universities will ensure as many as possible can get a test before they travel home.

Sowe have gone from all students getting tested to as many as possible. This isn't good enough.

I hear on the grapevine that students aren't taking the tests as they don't want to be told to self isolate for last two weeks of term.
    It should be you can't go home until you had one, as soon as you have, and its negative, you leave.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

Here's an unexpected downside of homeworking. During a phone call today with a new colleague I have yet to meet in person I remarked about the old school photo of himself wearing school uniform he had posted as his LinkedIn profile pic. Turns out he took it himself last month in a brand new blue suit he had bought especially.

What line of business are you in again?

:wink:
    Barrister I believe, they struggle when they don't have a solicitor doing all the hard work for them.
    Don't barristers wear striped trousers any more?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,173
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Struggles to hang? Struggles to hang Biden?

I think Trump would have edged it if Joe had tripped over his dog a month ago. Real old man stuff.

Pretty crass ageist stuff.

Injuries to the bones in the feet are easily done, I was in a walking boot for five months last autumn after sustaining a hairline fracture to my large metatarsal in an innocuous encounter with a football. I'm in my forties.

It's literally an unlucky break in most cases, but you right go ahead and be waspish about it.
    I was actually just objectively thinking about the possibility of this incident, amplified by Trump on twitter the way he does best, being Dole falling off the stage in 1996 all over again.

Odd post.
    Not really, you could've written that but instead you went with "real old man stuff".

Which, really, it wasn't.

Just bog-standard ageist invective from you.
  • Options

It feeds the anti-vax conspiracy that THEY are forcing you to take this to control your mind etc etc.
    Antivaxxers would scream conspiracy because a government minister breathes.
  • Options

Absolutely, it should be a requirement for venues, airlines etc to check vaccination status as part of their Covid-secure measures. Once the vaccines are being widely distributed, it would be totally irresponsible not to do so.
  • Options

Wales Circuit Breaker is not looking a good policy

Circuit breaker plus straight out of it into a nationwide level of very low restrictions. Madness.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

If it turns out the Tiers vote and Brexit deal only passes thanks to the votes of Labour MPs then I think Sir Keir Starmer is the most powerful LOTO since Attlee.

If Starmer passes the Brexit Deal then he's a fool.

The Tories need to own this economic clusterf*ck lock stock and barrel.
    This talk about people "owning" stuff is real cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. Permitting a preventable no deal crashout in order to make Johnson look jolly silly would be party before country stuff of which I hope Starmer is simply incapable.
    He's the leader of the Opposition (apparently).

It is his job to tell the government that anything they are doing his party could do better. From Brexit, to Covid response, to schools, hospitals, you name it.

That, surely, has got to be written on the first pager of the Leader of the Opposition 1.01 manual?

I mean even Jeremy effing Corbyn realised this.
    He can say that and still vote for something, if he thinks it appropritate in the circumstances. The approach you describe is that of a child, which would explain why Corbyn realised it.

Should Labour MPs not have voted for gay marriage because they were in opposition when it was proposed? Or did they vote for it whilst still being able to insist they could do a better job on equality issues?

Even an opposition doesn't just oppose all the time as there are plenty of things sides will actually agree about, or there might only be one viable option available, which might need to be taken without sacrificing the ability to condemn the government for getting in that position.
    Absolutely wrong.

He is every day ceding ground and the initiative to the Cons.

In 12-18 or 36 months time:

SKS: The Cons got it very badly wrong over Covid and Brexit.
    Everyone: If it was so badly wrong why did you support it?
    SKS is a very bad politician, his actions last year when Labour had a once in a lifetime chance to split the tories and win a huge majority showed this.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    edited November 2020
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

If it turns out the Tiers vote and Brexit deal only passes thanks to the votes of Labour MPs then I think Sir Keir Starmer is the most powerful LOTO since Attlee.

This talk about people "owning" stuff is real cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. Permitting a preventable no deal crashout in order to make Johnson look jolly silly would be party before country stuff of which I hope Starmer is simply incapable.

It is his job to tell the government that anything they are doing his party could do better. From Brexit, to Covid response, to schools, hospitals, you name it.

That, surely, has got to be written on the first pager of the Leader of the Opposition 1.01 manual?

He can say that and still vote for something, if he thinks it appropritate in the circumstances. The approach you describe is that of a child, which would explain why Corbyn realised it.

Should Labour MPs not have voted for gay marriage because they were in opposition when it was proposed? Or did they vote for it whilst still being able to insist they could do a better job on equality issues?

Even an opposition doesn't just oppose all the time as there are plenty of things sides will actually agree about, or there might only be one viable option available, which might need to be taken without sacrificing the ability to condemn the government for getting in that position.
    Absolutely wrong.

I didn't even say he should back it, just that the principle is perfectly sound without meaning he cannot effectively oppose or present a competent alternative which people would prefer. I find the 'oppositions oppose, duh' style of approach as if in itself that is all that is needed to be infantile in the extreme. Starmer might not pick his moments perfectly and will miss some opportunities, we shall see, but he at least knows to pick his moments, which is a good sign.

I recall Cameron in 2010 before the GE saying that not everything Labour did was bad, and the good stuff should be kept. People know that sort of approach is true (whether he believed it or not), which is why fanatics don't persuade them that Tories are all babykillers or that Labour are all marxists. The public don't want too much nuance or equivocation, but they do want at least some appearance of nuance.
  • Options

Who cares? You can lead a fool to water but you can't make him drink.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Does NZ control the policies of individual businesses?
    No but plenty of businesses have said (publicly and privately) they will insist on proof of vaccination before they accept your business/use their services.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,450

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Absolutely wrong.

SKS is a very bad politician, his actions last year when Labour had a once in a lifetime chance to split the tories and win a huge majority showed this.
    Just as with the corollary with the spending. Cons have spent their arses off over Covid. Which is fine; it is a national emergency. But then they won't be able to complain when Lab says it will spend huge sums on, say, homelessness, as Lab will say that is a national emergency also.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    What a shit show...they have had months to sort this. No negative test, no home to mummy and daddy, simples.

Hancock is asked by the BBC's Hugh Pym how effective mass testing of students can be if this is voluntary and not available to all students.

The health secretary says the government's goal is to make testing available to as many students as possible but this is "best done on a voluntary basis". However, he adds that he thinks the programme will "still make a difference".
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,608
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Absolutely wrong.

Because whatever you think of Starmer, he's not mad. To vote against a Brexit deal when the only alternative is no deal would be an act of madness, so he won't do it. He knows he can't stop Brexit now - opposing a deal, however crap it is, would simply allow the Tories and their press to accuse Labour of trying to stop Brexit. I'm sure Starmer will take every opportunity to point out that, while Labour has no choice but to vote for the deal, the support is reluctant as the deal is rubbish (assuming it is, which I think is a fair assumption).
  • Options
    MattW said:

Does NZ control the policies of individual businesses?
    No, he's simply forecasting (quite rightly IMO) that many of them will adopt such policies.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Absolutely wrong.

I didn't even say he should back it, just that the principle is perfectly sound without meaning he cannot effectively oppose or present a competent alternative which people would prefer. I find the 'oppositions oppose, duh' style of approach as if in itself that is all that is needed to be infantile in the extreme. Starmer might not pick his moments perfectly and will miss some opportunities, we shall see, but he at least knows to pick his moments, which is a good sign.

I recall Cameron in 2010 before the GE saying that not everything Labour did was bad, and the good stuff should be kept. People know that sort of approach is true (whether he believed it or not), which is why fanatics don't persuade them that Tories are all babykillers or that Labour are all marxists. The public don't want too much nuance or equivocation, but they do want at least some appearance of nuance.
    The thing is, Lab supporters, presumably want a Lab govt because they believe that just about everything would be better handled by Lab. Or at least that should be the line that the party leader should promote.

If SKS starts saying that actually the Cons have got this one right, then how does he combat those saying that the same government that got this right, as endorsed by the Leader of the Opposition, no less, will obviously get just about everything else right also. Because they are the same govt doing all the everything else.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The government are just about to reseed covid with their inability to ensure students aren't negative before they disperse all over the country and the 5 day hall pass over Christmas.

Back to lockdown come February...
  • Options

The government are just about to reseed covid with their inability to ensure students aren't negative before they disperse all over the country and the 5 day hall pass over Christmas.

What are the alternative options?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes but the rules get suspended a bit for crises. If Johnson needs his votes then what he should be doing is setting robust conditions for giving him those votes, which either humiliates Johnson if he accepts them or gives sks a get out if he doesn't. Opposition for its own sake will not play well on either issue.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,405

I assume because idiots will claim people need to be forced into vaccination, so there must be risks associated. Idiots will be idiots whatever.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,300
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

Here's an unexpected downside of homeworking. During a phone call today with a new colleague I have yet to meet in person I remarked about the old school photo of himself wearing school uniform he had posted as his LinkedIn profile pic. Turns out he took it himself last month in a brand new blue suit he had bought especially.

Barrister I believe, they struggle when they don't have a solicitor doing all the hard work for them.
    I thought (s)he was in employment law. Would know all about harrassment, intimidation, bullying, not treating people fairly, etc...
    I'm an employment law solicitor. Yes, all a bit embarrassing.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    TOPPING said:

All students must test negative before going home, just Christmas day lowering of restrictions, rule of 6 plus kids (and no granny / grandads over).

Sure people will bend and break the rules and do boxing day, but 3 households at a time and 5 days is too lack as the "starting line" of where people will start to bend and break them.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes but the rules get suspended a bit for crises. If Johnson needs his votes then what he should be doing is setting robust conditions for giving him those votes, which either humiliates Johnson if he accepts them or gives sks a get out if he doesn't. Opposition for its own sake will not play well on either issue.
    Why isn't homelessness, or child poverty, or the fact that Tescos is still a private company a crisis?

Of course all those things are. If you are a Lab supporter.

SKS has undermined his one consistent response to the govt by ceding them this. He will find it very difficult to recover. It is the flood gates.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,405

TOPPING said:

All students must test negative before going home, just Christmas day lowering of restrictions, rule of 6 plus kids.
    Or better yet, people taking some personal responsibility? A lot of my students had already decided to voluntarily isolate in the week before travelling home, before the Uni had decided to go all online for the last week. They are not all idiots who think they are immune, and they want to go home safely.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

TOPPING said:

All students must test negative before going home, just Christmas day lowering of restrictions, rule of 6 plus kids.
    Or better yet, people taking some personal responsibility? A lot of my students had already decided to voluntarily isolate in the week before travelling home, before the Uni had decided to go all online for the last week. They are not all idiots who think they are immune, and they want to go home safely.
    That's fine. Many people will use their common sense, but we also know many won't. And i am sure your students won't mind getting a test just to be sure.

I love the idea of people taking personal responsibility, but this crisis has shown us not enough are prepared to do it. They have to be told not to, and even then its all can i have a scotch egg or bottomless pasta bowls to enable me to booze all night.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

On which topic what is the best real life rock star name? Jimi Hendrix? Suzi Quattro? Both sound made up but aren't.
    Then there is Steve Harley. Whose real name was Steve Nice. Which would have been super perfect had he been a punk.

Ice T's real name made me chuckle; Tracy Lauren Marrow.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

In the 1951 parliament?
    Eleven years earlier than that.
    Clem wasn't LOTO between May 1940 and May 1945.
    But in May 1940 he was arguably the most powerful LOTO ever, helping oust the PM and pretty much putting a veto on Halifax succeeding Chamberlain.
    Surely Attlee was decisive in removing Chamberlain - but quite a few Labour people favoured Halifax over Churchill. In the end, Halifax ruled himself out.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,601
    edited November 2020

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yup. So speak against, put down a symbolic amendment ("reluctantly, under duress"... I don't know, I teach physics for a living), but ultimately vote for The Rubbish Deal.

Because whist this will be a bad deal in any realistic sense, it's unlikely to be A Bad Deal in the "No Deal is better than A Bad Deal" sense.
    Yes, that's the only course of action. I disagree that the deal will be 'rubbish', but Labour would be punished severely for a No Trade Deal scenario - conversely giving the Tories perfect cover to No Trade Deal.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Absolutely wrong.

If SKS starts saying that actually the Cons have got this one right...
    Except that isn't what he would be saying. I used that phrase an example, but he wouldn't be saying that on this decision. If he did it he would be presenting it as a last resort to mitigate as best everyone the mess Boris has made, and the danger that arises from leaving it to the Tories who might reject it for something even worse.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Absolutely wrong.

Except that isn't what he would be saying. I used that phrase an example, but he wouldn't be saying that on this decision. If he did it he would be presenting it as a last resort to mitigate as best everyone the mess Boris has made, and the danger that arises from leaving it to the Tories who might reject it for something even worse.
    People will only remember him supporting the government on the key issues of the days.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    This Magnus is rather confident in his chess abilities...I wonder if he is any good? ;-)

https://twitter.com/MagnusCarlsen/status/1333452603754221568?s=19
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    I made a mistake.
    I went to look what this Yeadon guy’s come out with now.
    He’s published a stunning piece on how the pandemic actually ended in June, everything since then is false positives, we all reached herd immunity, especially in the worst hit areas, and every report of anything different is made up.

I expect @Foxy will be deeply relieved that it’s not only all over now, but can be backdated five months or so.

We’d better start prosecuting ICNARC as well.

Seriously, what is it with this guy? What’s in it for him?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

All students must test negative before going home, just Christmas day lowering of restrictions, rule of 6 plus kids (and no granny / grandads over).

Sure people will bend and break the rules and do boxing day, but 3 households at a time and 5 days is too lack as the "starting line" of where people will start to bend and break them.
    So illegal not to take a test on penalty of what? Being forcefully kept wherever they are? Arrested and detained? Kept away from their family?

That your idea of a society you want to live in?

Dear fucking god.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Struggles to hang? Struggles to hang Biden?

I think Trump would have edged it if Joe had tripped over his dog a month ago. Real old man stuff.

Pretty crass ageist stuff.

Injuries to the bones in the feet are easily done, I was in a walking boot for five months last autumn after sustaining a hairline fracture to my large metatarsal in an innocuous encounter with a football. I'm in my forties.

It's literally an unlucky break in most cases, but you right go ahead and be waspish about it.
    I was actually just objectively thinking about the possibility of this incident, amplified by Trump on twitter the way he does best, being Dole falling off the stage in 1996 all over again.

Odd post.
    Not really, you could've written that but instead you went with "real old man stuff".

Which, really, it wasn't.

Just bog-standard ageist invective from you.
    Getting weird now. "real old man stuff" was an indication of the hypothetical Trump attack line. And I am nearly 60 and have a titanium hip, so not really given to ageism or boneism.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106

TOPPING said:

There is no way to enforce this. You clearly haven't got a clue how this works.

Half the people on my course are back home already, but the University has no idea who is at their term time address and who isn't. How do you expect them to make it mandatory to have a test before they "go home" if half of them are already at home?

For example, my home is my "term time address". Am I supposed to leave my home to go into Newcastle to have a test before I'm allowed uh, to go back home?
  • Options

Absolutely, it should be a requirement for venues, airlines etc to check vaccination status as part of their Covid-secure measures. Once the vaccines are being widely distributed, it would be totally irresponsible not to do so.
    Qantas CEO has already said they will amend their T&C to the effect.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

I thought (s)he was in employment law. Would know all about harrassment, intimidation, bullying, not treating people fairly, etc...
    :smile:

(It's particularly in my mind because I today completed our firm's mandatory Code of Ethics and Compliance training with all the associated "John sends a joke to the office..." examples.)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So illegal not to take a test on penalty of what? Being forcefully kept wherever they are? Arrested and detained? Kept away from their family?

Dear fucking god.
    Same way as it will be a requirement to be vaccinated to get on a plane, unis can make it a requirement of continued registration that you take a test. No different to say pro athletes must take regular drugs and now covid tests to be eligible to compete.

You are asking them to spit in a tube or put a cotton bud up their nose for a few seconds before they head home. Hardly North Korea type stuff.

They should actually be doing testing on leaving and arriving back.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

(It's particularly in my mind because I today completed our firm's mandatory Code of Ethics and compliance training with all the associated "John sends a joke to the office..." examples.)
    Any good jokes you can share with us?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Dear fucking god.
    Same way as it will be a requirement to be vaccinated to get on a plane, unis can make it a requirement of continued registration that you take a test. No different to say pro athletes must take regular drugs and now covid tests to be eligible to compete.
    It doesn't work like that, especially if the University is already "online only". Half their students are probably already hundreds of miles away.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

There is no way to enforce this. You clearly haven't got a clue how this works.

Half the people on my course are back home already, but the University has no idea who is at their term time address and who isn't. How do you expect them to make it mandatory to have a test before they "go home" if half of them are already at home?

For example, my home is my "term time address". Am I supposed to leave my home to go into Newcastle to have a test before I'm allowed uh, to go back home?
    I'm guessing retired. I have no comment on his/her's family circumstances but I can wildly speculate in the comfort of my own mind.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Absolutely wrong.

People will only remember him supporting the government on the key issues of the days.
    Only if you do the Tories job for them and shoot yourself in the foot.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Dear fucking god.

You are asking them to spit in a tube or put a cotton bud up their nose for a few seconds before they head home. Hardly North Korea type stuff.

They should actually be doing testing on leaving and arriving back.
    You've lost it.

Getting on a plane = something I want to do and not a fundamental human right.
    Going home to see family = fundamental human right.

And as others have said, I'm not sure when you last rubbed shoulders with the student fraternity (or sorority) but all the ones I know are extremely keen not to give it to their parents/grandparents and will absolutely get tested.

But if they don't then they don't. And that's life.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

(It's particularly in my mind because I today completed our firm's mandatory Code of Ethics and compliance training with all the associated "John sends a joke to the office..." examples.)
    Any good jokes you can share with us?
    LOL.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Absolutely wrong.

Only if you do the Tories job for them and shoot yourself in the foot.
    Tories' job? Getting their legislation passed.

So that is precisely what SKS is doing for them.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,661

I made a mistake.
    I went to look what this Yeadon guy’s come out with now.
    He’s published a stunning piece on how the pandemic actually ended in June, everything since then is false positives, we all reached herd immunity, especially in the worst hit areas, and every report of anything different is made up.

I expect @Foxy will be deeply relieved that it’s not only all over now, but can be backdated five months or so.

We’d better start prosecuting ICNARC as well.

Seriously, what is it with this guy? What’s in it for him?

Whistle blower disease.

It seems to hit even highly qualified individuals. They start off down a path of enquiry. Instead of turning back when the facts are against the hypothesis, this make up more and more ludicrous and bizarre explanations for the facts being against them.

In the final stage I (and the other members of the High Council of the Illuminati) tell the lizard men in the people suits to order the Zeta Reticulans to kidnap them and imprison them in Youtube*.

*We tried ConHome, but the Zeta Reticulans had a very good union rep who tried to negotiate for hazard pay on the the grounds of mental health.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    TOPPING said:

The thing is, Lab supporters, presumably want a Lab govt because they believe that just about everything would be better handled by Lab. Or at least that should be the line that the party leader should promote.

If SKS starts saying that actually the Cons have got this one right, then how does he combat those saying that the same government that got this right, as endorsed by the Leader of the Opposition, no less, will obviously get just about everything else right also. Because they are the same govt doing all the everything else.

Not at all. I've been a Labour member for 49 years. I don't think we're always best. To be specific, I prefer the current Government's proposals on agriculture to the previous Labour one's, on condition that they deliver on what they say. That doesn't mean I agree with them on Universal Credit or taxation or a load of other things. Does ANYONE think their party, or country, or spouse is always right?

On Brexit, Starmer should consider the alternatives on offer, comment on them, and choose the least evil option. It's the right thing to do, and also sensible opposition policy.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,892

Disgraceful.

Announcement comes despite intense pressure for fresh investigation into 1989 death of Belfast solicitor

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/30/ministers-reject-call-for-public-inquiry-into-pat-finucane

Too soon, apparently.

After three decades.

Obviously nothing to hide.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Not at all. I've been a Labour member for 49 years. I don't think we're always best. To be specific, I prefer the current Government's proposals on agriculture to the previous Labour one's, on condition that they deliver on what they say. That doesn't mean I agree with them on Universal Credit or taxation or a load of other things. Does ANYONE think their party, or country, or spouse is always right?

On Brexit, Starmer should consider the alternatives on offer, comment on them, and choose the least evil option. It's the right thing to do, and also sensible opposition policy.
    So what? It's about getting into power so you can enact the policies that you believe will benefit the country and that should include, as I said, "your" party's approach to "just about everything".

Just about everything leaves room for your love of the current govt's agricultural or any other particular policy. But you should be in vigorous disagreement with just about every other of their policies.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited November 2020
    Omnium said:

The light of dawn is on the horizon, says Hancock.

Bollocks.
    I'm no sure you'll find the light of dawn otherwise.
    Well, I mean honestly, the crap that ministers come out with. In the context of the Plague, the "light of dawn" might be visible come about March, *IF* they somehow succeed in not making a total horlicks of the vaccination programme, and I don't know about you but I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Right now it's still pitch dark, and there's at least one more total lockdown still to come. There will be a panic flap about a week after Christmas, that much is blindingly obvious. Though what's particularly galling is that it looks very much from the data that the third lockdown will be implemented despite the fact that the second lockdown was unnecessary: it started on November 5th and hospitalisations peaked on November 11th.

The lag is too short. The totality of cases, symptomatic and otherwise, must have been in decline before Johnson panicked and shut everything again. And that's exactly what will happen when the spike of Christmas-related illnesses roll in just after everybody's gone back to work in January. Watch.
  • Options
    Light the beacons of Gondor.

FULHAM HAVE SCORED A PENALTY!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Absolutely wrong.

What he’ll be saying is that he’s responsible enough to vote for a deal he severely dislikes, in the knowledge that the only other option, No Deal, is much worse.
    Unlike the irresponsible members opposite.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    Nigelb said:

Disgraceful.

Too soon, apparently.

After three decades.

Obviously nothing to hide.
    I suspect that when one is conceded, we will find it was authorised about a week after the person with major operational control snuffed it.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,300

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

Don't barristers wear striped trousers any more?
    Like me, he's a solicitor, and his LinkedIn pic only showed him from the chest up.
  • Options

Disgraceful.

Whats happening with Soldier F? Wasn't he supposed to be up for trial this year?
  • Options

Does ANYONE think their party, or country, or spouse is always right?

@HYUFD
  • Options
  • Options

Disgraceful.

Whats happening with Soldier F? Wasn't he supposed to be up for trial this year?
    As I understood it, things have been put back because he's in his 70s, and so are a lot of the witnesses, so a normal trial isn't possible under the plague, so they plan to do it remotely, but it requires a lot of the evidence to be digitised.

Should begin the new year.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So what? It's about getting into power so you can enact the policies that you believe will benefit the country and that should include, as I said, "your" party's approach to "just about everything".

Just about everything leaves room for your love of the current govt's agricultural or any other particular policy. But you should be in vigorous disagreement with just about every other of their policies.
    I wouldn't have thought so. You should be noted as an intelligent critic, ready to point out the flaws in Government policy without fear or favour and offering better alternatives. That doesn't mean you have to say "If the Government says it's Monday then we claim it's Friday." That just annoys voters and discredits you when you have a genuine criticism.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I wouldn't have thought so. You should be noted as an intelligent critic, ready to point out the flaws in Government policy without fear or favour and offering better alternatives. That doesn't mean you have to say "If the Government says it's Monday then we claim it's Friday." That just annoys voters and discredits you when you have a genuine criticism.
    You're obviously out of practice about what it means to be an MP or a PPC.

Or a LotO.
  • Options

Disgraceful.

As I understood it, things have been put back because he's in his 70s, and so are a lot of the witnesses, so a normal trial isn't possible under the plague, so they plan to do it remotely, but it requires a lot of the evidence to be digitised.

Thanks.

I did a search and and it came up with a Facebook thread from August in support of him, not a pretty sight.
    'Only obeying orders' written without a smidgeon of self awareness.
  • Options

No different to say pro athletes must take regular drugs

Many a true word...
  • Options

@HYUFD
    I let my spouse think she is right as best practice in a marriage of over 56 years !!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2020

TOPPING said:

HYUFD (see Gallowgate) and Topping.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

Have to admit I didn’t expect that half-time score. Nice warm-up for the Cameron derby, though.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Quite so. And as should be obvious making silly criticisms which undermine the effective criticisms is one of my pet peeves.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

What do I think is always right?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Dear fucking god.
    It doesn't work like that, especially if the University is already "online only". Half their students are probably already hundreds of miles away.
    Indeed. Eldest is Online only and living with my Mother who is 79 and shielding.
    Should they be forced to travel into Manchester, or wherever, to take a test as a condition of re-enrolling?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,028

@HYUFD
    Even his spouse? What if she supports Scottish independence?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

It's implicit in your approach of opposing an opposition ever voting with the government, even if there was good reason for it, that one should always back a party taking a permanent stance against the other, and therefore that they must always be right. Perhaps that's not what you mean it to mean, but that's why it's such a childish approach.
  • Options

Disgraceful.

Thanks.

I did a search and and it came up with a Facebook thread from August in support of him, not a pretty sight.
    'Only obeying orders' written without a smidgeon of self awareness.
    This is the latest reputable news outlet article I can find, from June.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/bloody-sunday/bloody-sunday-soldier-f-hearings-put-back-to-september-39315538.html
  • Options

@HYUFD
    If I recall correctly, his fiancée is a Lib Dem.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

It's implicit in your approach of opposing an opposition ever voting with the government, even if there was good reason for it, that one should always back a party taking a permanent stance against the other, and therefore that they must always be right. Perhaps that's not what you mean it to mean, but that's why it's such a childish approach.
    You do know how this whole political party thingy we have in the UK actually works don't you?

Clue: not by voting with the government if you are the opposition when opposing them might give you a crack at power.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035
    edited November 2020

Must have run out of novel ways to miss. Apart from having a heart attack or being struck by lightning there weren't many left.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

TOPPING said:

I am always happy to confirm that my party have been complete twats in continuing to build stupidly expensive and risky nuclear power when they have the second largest tidal ranges in the world, able to deliver dependable zero carbon, zero waste power into the middle of the next century at a fraction of the cost.

Still, no doubt the next Labour Govt. will build them and get the credit.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2020

Yes, I'm sure that's right. Starmer can distance himself from the downside of the policy by a combination of what he and his colleagues say in their speeches, and by putting down amendments which the government has to vote down. In the particular case of a Brexit deal, that shouldn't be hard, since everyone knows that the alternative is chaos (or to be more precise, even more chaos than we're going to get).

Plus, if he frames it as "a bad deal, but better than nothing, and a future Labour government will be able to build on it in the future to negotiate a closer trading relationship with our EU friends", he'll be able to add to the difficulties Boris will have with his nutjob backbenchers.
  • Options

Yes, I'm sure that's right. Starmer can distance himself from the downside of the policy by a combination of what he and his colleagues say in their speeches, and by putting down amendments which the government has to vote down. In the particular case of a Brexit deal, that shouldn't be hard, since everyone knows that the alternative is chaos (or to be more precise, even more chaos than we're going to get).

Plus, if he frames it as "a bad deal, but better than nothing, and a future Labour government will be able to build on it in the future to negotiate a closer trading relationship with our EU friends", he'll be able to add to the difficulties Boris will have with his nutjob backbenchers.
    All people will remember (because the Cons will remind them) is that Lab supported the two critical Cons policies of the day.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

All people will remember (because the Cons will remind them) is that Lab supported the two critical Cons policies of the day.
    Nobody remembers that the Tories supported the Iraq War.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,601

TOPPING said:

I am always happy to confirm that my party have been complete twats in continuing to build stupidly expensive and risky nuclear power when they have the second largest tidal ranges in the world, able to deliver dependable zero carbon, zero waste power into the middle of the next century at a fraction of the cost.

Still, no doubt the next Labour Govt. will build them and get the credit.
    Why are you giving up on this Government? And why would the fact we have nuclear mean we don't need tidal? It can replace shit like biomass. Policies and politics change. Lobby Sunak.
  • Options

@HYUFD
    Or, not and.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    Oh dear. The David Fitzgerald defence.

Never ends well...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899
    Evening all :)

On the question of parties and policies, I was a member of a political party for 40 years. Did I agree with every nuance of every policy? No - I don't know anyone who did. I did all the activist thing and I was able to evangelise (cos that's what you do) on the broad brush and the main points but I didn't agree with it all ever.

Being a "loyalist" means you set aside whatever objections you have and you support the Party whatever and however - that's both intellectually consistent and inconsistent at the same time. The consistency comes from the broad principals and the general direction of travel but the inconsistency comes from saying one thing one decade and the complete opposite on the same issue a decade later.

My position on nuclear weapons and the independent British deterrent changed often in the 1980s - I went through phases of being a convinced unilateralist yet other times I was a strong supporter of the deterrent. I changed my position on EU membership as well. That's what you do in life - the arguments change, the environment changes and the position changes.

All parties have performed policy summersaults and u-turns which would make the average double-jointed performer proud and you can define conservatism, socialism, social democracy and liberalism now and those definitions would be very different from the 1980s or even the 1990s.

Sometimes parties are not defined by what they are as much as what they aren't. If I were cynical, I'd argue conservatives would make the best job of marxism, socialists would do a good job of running a capitalist market economy and liberals would make the best authoritarians. Why - because they would see the limitations and flaws and ambiguities and would be able to compensate and mitigate.

That's a debate for another day - the other point is politics is as much about strategy as it is tactics. Starmer, if he has any sense, is playing a multi-layered game. The short-term support for a Government at a time of crisis is tactically advantageous and allows room for strategic opposition down the line. It's inconsistent of course and for those in Labour who were inimically anti-Conservative it's difficult but down the line it will pay dividends because those looking for an alternative to Johnson will remember Starmer "doing what was right" at the time and will at least listen to his proposals for a Labour Government. They may still not vote for you but if you won't listen you won't get anywhere.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Maybe but I suspect Brexit (now joined by Covid-19) is intended to be Boris's legacy. It will not be tarnished by a footnote adding that SKS voted for it as well.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2020
    The mistake Labour are making on Brexit is that they are not laying into the sheer mind-boggling incompetence of the negotiations and preparations (or lack thereof) with sufficient vigour. Instead they waste media bandwidth with trivia such as daft complaints about Rishi Sunak's wife's investments. Why on earth aren't they all over the media complaining that Boris has put businesses into an impossible position, leaving everything many months too late and landing us with a choice between a bad deal and an even worse No Deal? This and the Covid-19 failings should be their main attack points, but Brexit is the easier one for them. They have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to project themselves as better on business and the economy than the Conservatives.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

People mention it on here every other day.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

We're all weirdos though.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    Don’t tell me: Trump’s odds dropping, as we move closer to the Supreme Court verdict?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I think you mean to say that we are well-informed.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Well the Tories certainly don't...
  • Options
    edited November 2020

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I think you mean to say that we are well-informed.
    That's what I said?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That is true.
This discussion has been closed.