Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Masque of the Red Death – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited November 2020 in General
imageThe Masque of the Red Death – politicalbetting.com

Who are you planning to kill this Christmas? Is there an aged aunt who you haven’t seen for a while? Perhaps your parents? If you’re young enough, maybe you have your grandparents in your sights. After all, it is the time to spread peace, goodwill and Covid-19 to all mankind.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    edited November 2020
    First of the insomniacs.

I think the government's overwhelming priority is to avoid the scenes we saw in Italy and presumably aren't seeing in Poland at the moment. It's not especially nice for the staff in the NHS who are probably having to work extra hard in not especially nice conditions to keep things this way.

Life is about making tough choices and what we have at the moment is about as tough as it gets. The patterns across Europe are strikingly similar. What they say to me is that when it comes to it, a lot of people aren't nearly as inclined to protect the vulnerable from COVID as Alastair Meeks is.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    edited November 2020
    Second. Also up early while my wife gets ready for her 12 hour shift on a hospital ward. Was 50% covid +ve on her last shift and she desperately wants it below that today. With hopefully some more staff back after testing positive/ isolating.

Planning on it being just the two of us for xmas day.

• Options
    On topic I'm not going to pretend to have my finger on the pulse of the British family but I wonder if this isn't exaggerating how desperately everybody loves Christmas. I mean kids love the presents, but they can still get their presents. If the government calmly and reasonably says, "this disease is very bad, the vaccine will just be a few more months and then you can get together with your family", is everyone really going to say "fuck everything, we do this every year, I want to see the grandparents *now* and I don't care if their immune system is eating their lungs in January"?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

On topic I'm not going to pretend to have my finger on the pulse of the British family but I wonder if this isn't exaggerating how desperately everybody loves Christmas. I mean kids love the presents, but they can still get their presents. If the government calmly and reasonably says, "this disease is very bad, the vaccine will just be a few more months and then you can get together with your family", is everyone really going to say "fuck everything, we do this every year, I want to see the grandparents *now* and I don't care if their immune system is eating their lungs in January"?

You might have thought that a killer virus being on the loose would have altered the behaviour of people considerably. Yet that hasn't happened with many people. My 74 year old dad still went to the pub twice a week when they were open, for example.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Christmas. Spend hours cooking a meal I dont really like then a couple more washing up every utensil in your kitchen because you've used the lot.

Great for the kids to open their presents but for me I enjoy christmas films and Christmas songs and can happily leave everything else.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    ‘Gathering large groups of people together, whether concurrently or in quick succession, indoors for hours at a time in small unventilated rooms is pretty well everything we’ve been told for months not to do. It’s a recipe for disaster.’

On the contrary, that is exactly what we’ve been doing in schools for the last three months, which is why even as infections stabilise in other groups they are skyrocketing among teenagers.

This is particularly difficult as the government are now ordering that most of those in close contact with positive cases should not be sent home, as it does too much damage to their attendance records. So only the children sitting within one metre of a positive case are quarantined, not those who have been with them in a poorly ventilated room for six hours.
  • Options
    Love Christmas or not, the government ought by now to be giving more information so families can *plan* Christmas.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    FTP.
    Nigelb said:
    Wonderful hand in the till moment!
  • Options
    Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.04
    Democrats 1.04
    Biden PV 1.03
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.04
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.04
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.07
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.07
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.06
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.07
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 1.02

AZ Dem 1.04
    GA Dem 1.04
    MI Dem 1.03
    NV Dem 1.03
    PA Dem 1.04
    WI Dem 1.05

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.1
    Trump exit date 2021 1.09
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    I only had to look at the title to know it was another portentous Alastair Meeks thread.

The real problem isn't families gathering for a week, it's people out and about, especially boozing. But the 'hospitality industry' is worth maybe 1/4 of the country's GDP so taking the sword to it is problematic.

The Gov't are doing okay at the moment with the controls. What we really should be emphasising above all else is WEAR A BLOODY MASK
  • Options

Love Christmas or not, the government ought by now to be giving more information so families can *plan* Christmas.

Seriously? They haven’t even given us enough info to plan Brexit.

I’ve been considering a complaint to the ASA about that ad they’ve put out telling people to look at their website for new information, when actually they don’t have the information yet.
  • Options

They are
  • Options

I've a friend who is the biggest Christmas fruitcake I have ever encountered. She posts endlessly about Christmas throughout the year and seemingly lives for it. I mean, literally, in June she will tell us all how many days are left until Christmas. Before Remembrance day, her lights are up.

I mention this because she is refusing to have a gathering this year, citing precisely your point Edmund.
  • Options

They are
    The government has said it will make an announcement next week.
  • Options

I only had to look at the title to know it was another portentous Alastair Meeks thread.

Disappointing header though. No sneaky fuckers or reluctant Turkish conscripts.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

They are
    And what's wrong with that? They have let it be known lockdown is definitely ending Dec 2nd and that we will go into tiers. Also that there will be a 1 week reprieve which will apply to the UK.

I enjoy Boris bashing as a pastime but I can't see what the Gov't have done wrong. In fact they seem to be finally getting a balance on control of the virus.

The real problem is that people are idiots and will flout the rules. Again. And do stupid things like NOT WEAR A MASK! They go out shopping, boozing, meeting up maskless and clueless. In summertime they flock to the beach.

The real message should be to drill home mask wearing until the vaccine programme rolls out.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    ydoethur said:

‘Gathering large groups of people together, whether concurrently or in quick succession, indoors for hours at a time in small unventilated rooms is pretty well everything we’ve been told for months not to do. It’s a recipe for disaster.’

On the contrary, that is exactly what we’ve been doing in schools for the last three months, which is why even as infections stabilise in other groups they are skyrocketing among teenagers.

This is particularly difficult as the government are now ordering that most of those in close contact with positive cases should not be sent home, as it does too much damage to their attendance records. So only the children sitting within one metre of a positive case are quarantined, not those who have been with them in a poorly ventilated room for six hours.

Lock teenagers under the stairs for Christmas. Then the rest of us can party like its 1999.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    edited November 2020

They are
    And there'll be another, different, one the week after!
    Seriously though I was involved in a discussion about this yesterday. It's not just 'family getting together'. No man, as Donne said, is an island. Grannie and Grandpa might not have been out anywhere, been in the same room as anyone else and so on, for two months, but, as @ydoethur said, any children aged between 5-18 have been at school, and students will have been at university and quite probably several of any family group will have been to work. And if there are two sets of grandparents the potential spread could reasonably be described as exponential.
  • Options

They are
    Seriously though I was involved in a discussion about this yesterday. It's not just 'family getting together'. No man, as Donne said, is an island. Grannie and Grandpa might not have been out anywhere, been in the same room as anyone else and so on, for two months, but, as @ydoethur said, any children aged between 5-18 have been at school, and students will have been at university and quite probably several of any family group will have been to work. And if there are two sets of grandparents the potential spread could reasonably be described as exponential.
    Realistically, if they want to relax restrictions for Christmas they should close unis now and schools by the 9th December. The latter decision is likely to be forced on them anyway due to rising sick lists, and the former has already effectively happened. Making the decision now would allow for proper planning and mitigation of some of the issues raised (childcare, FSM children etc).

But they are so stubborn and arrogant they won’t do it. One trust in Yorkshire that has worked out it can’t possibly continue like this and will be closing early has been ordered to change its mind (although it has refused; as is, amusingly, its right under Cummings’ botched reforms). Meanwhile they continue to talk as if exams are going to be happening next year, when the only way to make that happen is send all year groups home apart from 11 and 13, which they’ve also ruled out.

I hope when all this is over these bastards are jailed good and hard. Because they will deserve it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

This country now runs on institutionalised mawkishness. Picture an extended family gathering of obese poppy wearing retards standing round the Christmas table toasting Our NHS Carers at the end of the Queen's (gawd bless her) speech. Mess with that vision at your peril.
    Nut Nuts roasting by an open fire
    Turkey’s standing by the door...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They are
    Realistically, if they want to relax restrictions for Christmas they should close unis now and schools by the 9th December. The latter decision is likely to be forced on them anyway due to rising sick lists, and the former has already effectively happened. Making the decision now would allow for proper planning and mitigation of some of the issues raised (childcare, FSM children etc).

But they are so stubborn and arrogant they won’t do it. One trust in Yorkshire that has worked out it can’t possibly continue like this and will be closing early has been ordered to change its mind (although it has refused; as is, amusingly, its right under Cummings’ botched reforms). Meanwhile they continue to talk as if exams are going to be happening next year, when the only way to make that happen is send all year groups home apart from 11 and 13, which they’ve also ruled out.

I hope when all this is over these bastards are jailed good and hard. Because they will deserve it.
    Yes; we've two teachers among our grandchildren ....... married couple. Different schools, but both have coronavirus cases among colleagues and in the classes they teach. Their plan, assuming the weather isn't too bad, is to visit their respective parents and stand outside, wishing them a Merry Xmas etc and chatting for a while, before going home to their own place and either the TV or a box-set or both. We, grandparents might well do the same, virtually!
    What else can one reasonably do?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I agree with most of the header for once. Except singling out the government for allowing this relaxation which every other government in Europe will also be doing is unfair. I and most of our friends, family and acquaintances will not be having a normal Xmas with lots of social gatherings. I actually believe many will do similar. Some will be stupid and reckless - I just hope that too many innocents don't get caught out by their foolishness.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256

ydoethur said:

Lock teenagers under the stairs for Christmas. Then the rest of us can party like its 1999.
    Wasn’t that 1959?
  • Options
    One thing more - I strongly echo Mystiose's point about wearing masks by reminding folk that if you hate wearing them - and I do - you gonna find the ventilator in the ICU wards much worse!
  • Options
    FPT.
    Nigelb said:

Someone else might need to be certified.
    This is just nuts, even by Trump’s standards.
    https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1330344762541559812

Don't they have libel and slander laws in America?
  • Options
    Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Yes, but they’re much weaker than ours. As a rough rule of thumb, you can say what you like about someone as long as it’s not overtly motivated by malice, and as long as you do not falsely attribute words or phrases to them.

And the burden of proof is on the plaintiff.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    One thing is, the results of the Great US Thanksgiving Experiment will be in well before Christmas and by some accounts it's gonna be grim. Fauci doesn't seem happy. I doubt that will modify behaviour here generally but it might scare the government into changing the rules again.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

One thing is, the results of the Great US Thanksgiving Experiment will be in well before Christmas and by some accounts it's gonna be grim. Fauci doesn't seem happy. I doubt that will modify behaviour here generally but it might scare the government into changing the rules again.

Good point. Worth watching the figures.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Yes, but they’re much weaker than ours. As a rough rule of thumb, you can say what you like about someone as long as it’s not overtly motivated by malice, and as long as you do not falsely attribute words or phrases to them.

Thank you. Though even in a system as lax as that I think the malice motivation would see her undone in this instance.
  • Options
    Love the rhetorical flourish of “Britannia waive the rules” from Mr Meeks there.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

This country now runs on institutionalised mawkishness. Picture an extended family gathering of obese poppy wearing retards standing round the Christmas table toasting Our NHS Carers at the end of the Queen's (gawd bless her) speech. Mess with that vision at your peril.
    Probably all Leave voters. (Cue accusations of elitism, including from those who Liked post above...).
    On topic, it is hard to understand this obsession with the great Christmas family gathering. One thought: why not have an extra bank holiday in the summer after the vaccine is here to allow for a delayed family celebration, announced at the same time as an extension of current rules through year-end? Give people something to look forward to.
  • Options
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Thank you. Though even in a system as lax as that I think the malice motivation would see her undone in this instance.
    Having listened, yes it’s pretty weird.

However, for a politician to tie up years of effort and hundreds of thousands of dollars suing somebody for so transparent and ludicrous a lie, with no certainty of winning (as proving malice is quite hard) is unlikely. Much more probable that they will try to get her struck from the bar on the grounds that she has lied about the law.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Probably all Leave voters. (Cue accusations of elitism, including from those who Liked post above...).
    On topic, it is hard to understand this obsession with the great Christmas family gathering. One thought: why not have an extra bank holiday in the summer after the vaccine is here to allow for a delayed family celebration, announced at the same time as an extension of current rules through year-end? Give people something to look forward to.
    Certainly all Leave voters though I was thrown by the felix 'like'!
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

Certainly all Leave voters though I was thrown by the felix 'like'!
    Felix voted remain thicko!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

All the Republicans who matter will go along with this if they think it has a chance of succeeding. Does anybody think Mitch McConnell would die on a cross to save American democracy?

Events are unwinding very much in the fashion described by Sinclair Lewis in the novel It Can't Happen Here. Trump = Buzz Windrip.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

All the Republicans who matter will go along with this if they think it has a chance of succeeding. Does anybody think Mitch McConnell would die on a cross to save American democracy?
    Although Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell dying, on crosses or otherwise, might be very helpful to American democracy right now.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Although Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell dying, on crosses or otherwise, might be very helpful to American democracy right now.
    Can you see Biden sticking Pelosi on one ?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Well, not really. The physical effort involved would be somewhat beyond the average 77 year old.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Well, not really. The physical effort involved would be somewhat beyond the average 77 year old.
    yeah but shes almost 81 so she wont put up a struggle.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

McConnell is surprisingly mandacious, for someone who looks like an innocent old lady.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    Looks like just myself, Mrs Foxy and the boys on the day.

Often I have had stray junior doctors over on Christmas or Boxing Day, particularly those working over the holidays with no local family. It seems appreciated, but not really on the cards this year though.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    Xmas Day is a great hooning day due the sparsity of traffic and cops so I'll be taking the Fireblade for a rip. If I don't materialise on the 26th you'll know I rolled a 2.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Hmm... According to Hancock there is a good chance that the most vulnerable will be vaccinated by Christmas. If that is the case I would very much not want my 84 year old mother in law to spend Christmas on her own. My brother has a terminal condition. Again, he may well have been vaccinated by then.

For me, this is the key. I am willing to take the risk for myself and let the younger members of my family make their own choices. For all bar 1% of those who get this it is a relatively trivial illness that many do not even know they've had. Whether the more vulnerable members can take part really depends on the vaccine. Here's hoping.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Hmm... According to Hancock there is a good chance that the most vulnerable will be vaccinated by Christmas. If that is the case I would very much not want my 84 year old mother in law to spend Christmas on her own. My brother has a terminal condition. Again, he may well have been vaccinated by then.

IIUC the Pfizer vaccine needs an injection, then 2 weeks, then another injection, then another week, before you have immunity. So if you want the MiL to be immune by then, you'll need her to get her injection a week on Thursday at the latest.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    felix said:

One thing more - I strongly echo Mystiose's point about wearing masks by reminding folk that if you hate wearing them - and I do - you gonna find the ventilator in the ICU wards much worse!

The issue is that wearing a mask mainly protects others, not the wearer.

Thus we see once again the country (and indeed all humankind) divide broadly into the two great tribes of the Altruists and the Selfish.
  • Options
    felix said:

Problem is not wearing a mask is much more likely to condemn someone else to being ventilated.
    It's like those selfish bastards who roar around on motorbikes. Lots of lovely fun for them, but the noise pollution for those who live within a couple of miles of the road is no fun.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Often I have had stray junior doctors over on Christmas or Boxing Day, particularly those working over the holidays with no local family. It seems appreciated, but not really on the cards this year though.

Foxy, my wife was asking about Derek Draper. He has apparently gained a sort of consciousness after being in a coma for the best part of 8 months. I am obviously aware of long Covid but I have not personally heard or read of another case like that. Is this relatively common, unusual or unique? If the first of these are there a lot of ICU beds filled long term in this way?
  • Options

DavidL said:

IIUC the Pfizer vaccine needs an injection, then 2 weeks, then another injection, then another week, before you have immunity. So if you want the MiL to be immune by then, you'll need her to get her injection a week on Thursday at the latest.
    I hadn't appreciated that. I knew you would need a booster but I thought that that was after a few months. That is going to be a logistical nightmare.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sadly, I'm certain that I won't be protected by vaccination by Christmas, even given my age. I'm also not at all certain that the requisite systems will be in place to provide vaccination to all who are 'due' it.

Yes I know Hancock has said everything will be in place, but that's all we've got to go von.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    felix said:

Currently there are 1421 ventilated patients in the UK out of 66 million residents. I can only assume mask wearing is being universally observed, or else it’s not as important as you say it is.
  • Options

Morning all. We are close to a vaccine - very close. So grim as this winter is and annoying as it is not to be allowed to see people, there is an end in sight. So why would anyone responsible want to bin off that future for something we can do later when it's safe?

I've been making the point for ages about the release of students from university being a super-spreader event. It doesn't matter how desperate the pubs may be for drunken singalongs to "Last Christmas" (eugh) and big sitdown Christmas dinners. It doesn't matter how desperate people may be to see Granny and Aunt Flo and Cousin Vinny. It isn't safe. But it will be in the not to distant future.

If we had a responsible government whose credibility on these matters was clear, then it would be a simple message. You've had to put up with so many privations this year and we have to ask for one more. But 2021 will be better than 2020 - the vaccine is nearly hear and we will defeat Covid. But until then it Isn't Safe for you to meet up with friends and family unless you want them or possibly you to die before the vaccine rolls out.

Sadly we have wazzocks as a government so I won't be at all surprised to see Shagger announce something barely credible and a quarter baked, with knobbers like Jenrick sent onto the media to confuse it even further. The result? Too many people will go "fuck this" and January will be sobering.

Personally, now there is definitely a vaccine on the horizon I find myself becoming more risk averse.

If we had no prospect of a vaccine, I'd be shrugging my shoulders and thinking I'm going to catch it at some point anyway - but with a vaccine only months away why risk catching Covid now?

How stupid that would be.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I hadn't appreciated that. I knew you would need a booster but I thought that that was after a few months. That is going to be a logistical nightmare.
    Think we need to wait for the detail to see immunity levels after just the first jab and the marginal benefit of the second. Far be it from me to cast doubt on the integrity of big pharma but it’s certainly better for Pfizer to sell two doses per person rather than one.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

DavidL said:

Sadly, I'm certain that I won't be protected by vaccination by Christmas, even given my age. I'm also not at all certain that the requisite systems will be in place to provide vaccination to all who are 'due' it.

Yes I know Hancock has said everything will be in place, but that's all we've got to go von.
    Re the two injections, yes for full effect some will need both injections, and it will take a few weeks. However, immunity is not an on/off system, and there will be some, mainly the younger, who would only need one shot, and gain immunity quickly.
    Re Christmas, I suspect the government are having to allow some relaxation, because they know it will happen anyway. For all our sakes we should try to be good as much as possible, but this has been a rubbish year, and for many Christmas is a valuable time.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Think we need to wait for the detail to see immunity levels after just the first jab and the marginal benefit of the second. Far be it from me to cast doubt on the integrity of big pharma but it’s certainly better for Pfizer to sell two doses per person rather than one.
    "Far be it from me to X but X"
    Fine work there.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    moonshine said:

felix said:

Currently there are 1421 ventilated patients in the UK out of 66 million residents. I can only assume mask wearing is being universally observed, or else it’s not as important as you say it is.
    You miss the fact that fewer patients are being ventilated now compared to April as we know more about how to treat the disease before it gets to that stage to hopefully avoid it getting there.
  • Options
    For anyone who wants to have a brief, general introduction to why boosters are sometimes needed in vaccines, there's a few paragraphs here that should help immunise you to any leftist populist antivax bollocks you might stumble across:
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/conversations/downloads/vacsafe-understand-color-office.pdf
  • Options
    moonshine said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It's going to be a real challenge for the NHS to vaccinate 65m people once. Hancock points to the flu program but that is for a much smaller part of the population. Trying to ensure that 65m people get a second jab within a relatively short period of time more than doubles the problem. There must be a risk that a lot of people will only get partial inoculation. This is going to take months and months.
  • Options

felix said:

The issue is that wearing a mask mainly protects others, not the wearer.

Thus we see once again the country (and indeed all humankind) divide broadly into the two great tribes of the Altruists and the Selfish.
    I think the research shows it provides some protection for both but yes I agree.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    moonshine said:

felix said:

As PB'ers will know, I spent part of the late summer in Lombardy, where people are still in shock from the spring first wave crisis, mask wearing when required was universal and when not required still widespread, including when walking about in the open. Yet the province is now deep in a second wave, the same as most other places.

So mask wearing clearly isn't a key element of the answer. That doesn't make it a bad thing, and it should remain part of the strategy, but overly focussing on it, as a few PB'ers tend to do, is missing that the difference it is making appears to be at the margins.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

My wife has just turned 81 and she is as feisty as ever when necessary
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

IshmaelZ said:

They'd all just go and have a Bondi Beach-style Christmas bash. And there's bound to be some super spreader anti-vaxer there who has been hiding away....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

She has a lot to put up with?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Yes !!!
  • Options

Morning all. We are close to a vaccine - very close. So grim as this winter is and annoying as it is not to be allowed to see people, there is an end in sight. So why would anyone responsible want to bin off that future for something we can do later when it's safe?

I've been making the point for ages about the release of students from university being a super-spreader event. It doesn't matter how desperate the pubs may be for drunken singalongs to "Last Christmas" (eugh) and big sitdown Christmas dinners. It doesn't matter how desperate people may be to see Granny and Aunt Flo and Cousin Vinny. It isn't safe. But it will be in the not to distant future.

If we had a responsible government whose credibility on these matters was clear, then it would be a simple message. You've had to put up with so many privations this year and we have to ask for one more. But 2021 will be better than 2020 - the vaccine is nearly hear and we will defeat Covid. But until then it Isn't Safe for you to meet up with friends and family unless you want them or possibly you to die before the vaccine rolls out.

Sadly we have wazzocks as a government so I won't be at all surprised to see Shagger announce something barely credible and a quarter baked, with knobbers like Jenrick sent onto the media to confuse it even further. The result? Too many people will go "fuck this" and January will be sobering.

Well quite. Which leads to two observations:

First, would any other Prime Minister be contemplating letting people have a week off from a crisis like this? We know that a week of fun and extended family will take about a month of restrictions to claw back.

Second, the government has prided itself on not giving into pressure when it comes to sacking members of the government. Yet on something that actually matters, it appears set to give into the worst sort of pressure without even trying.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Yes !!!
    It must be tough for her, your spending the whole year bending her ear about how you're never going to eat chicken again, then when the anniversary comes along you book a table at Nando's.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Too much information there Big_G :wink:
    She has good cause on occasions living the last near 60 years with me

And on Christmas my wife and I have already cancelled our family get together of 10 and will spend Christmas day on our own
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Yes !!!
    It must be tough for her, your spending the whole year bending her ear about how you're never going to eat chicken again, then when the anniversary comes along you book a table at Nando's.
    I have never been to Nando's and never said I am not going to eat chicken
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

DavidL said:

Will be summer at least before they have done anything significant. We know for sure they are a bunch of useless twats, I await them saying MP's etc need it first as they are so important.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Too much information there Big_G :wink:
    She has good cause on occasions living the last near 60 years with me

And on Christmas my wife and I have already cancelled our family get together of 10 and will spend Christmas day on our own
    Very sensible. Likewise Mrs P. and I will have Christmas on our own. We're going to enjoy the peace of it just being the two of us.
  • Options
    eek said:

moonshine said:

felix said:

You miss the fact that fewer patients are being ventilated now compared to April as we know more about how to treat the disease before it gets to that stage to hopefully avoid it getting there.
    Will not change him/her from continuing to spout moonshine, selfish dumb halfwit.
  • Options

First, would any other Prime Minister be contemplating letting people have a week off from a crisis like this? We know that a week of fun and extended family will take about a month of restrictions to claw back.

Second, the government has prided itself on not giving into pressure when it comes to sacking members of the government. Yet on something that actually matters, it appears set to give into the worst sort of pressure without even trying.
    I think right or wrong a lot of people are going to disregard the advice or the law. This undermines the law and there is no real means of enforcing it. As @Dura_Ace has already adverted to there are very few police around on Christmas day and they have better things to do than break up Christmas dinners.

To a certain extent, therefore, the government is doing no more than bowing to the inevitable. Whether they should or not is more complicated. Personally, I would go for robust advice but make it clear that there will be no enforcement. I think being mealy mouthed about the advice is the worst of both worlds and increases the proportion who will be reckless.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Re the two injections, yes for full effect some will need both injections, and it will take a few weeks. However, immunity is not an on/off system, and there will be some, mainly the younger, who would only need one shot, and gain immunity quickly.
    Re Christmas, I suspect the government are having to allow some relaxation, because they know it will happen anyway. For all our sakes we should try to be good as much as possible, but this has been a rubbish year, and for many Christmas is a valuable time.
    Pfizer say that immunising using their vaccine requires two injection 2-3 weeks apart. Others don't, but Pfizer's is what we'll have first.
    Given the record systems we have, or ought to have, in GP surgeries, getting everyone done ought to be possible, but there are quite a lot of people who are not registered with a GP, or are registered with GP's away from their current homes. That situation may well have improved, of course, since I had anything to do with it, of course.
    If we were going to have some other arrangement, then there will have to be some system for identifying people who have had jab one, and ensuring they are called for jab two.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Yes !!!
    Their chicken is not bad at all, especially washed down with 8 bottles of beer. Have been once in Dublin and it was good if very simple.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    IshmaelZ said:

Good morning. Oh, such cynicism to wake up to. Love it.
  • Options

Christmas is a load of old wank at the best of times. Our lives are ordered by the approach of the next celebration, and each celebration makes us spend money we don't have on stuff we don't need or really even want. On Boxing Day there will be Easter eggs on supermarket shelves. Once Easter is out the way, it'll be holidays, then whatever celebration the marketing departments try to foist on us next. Chuck in Comic Relief and Children in Need. In September we have to get ready for Halloween, but you'll find mince pies and chocolate reindeer on the shelves as well. A quick sprint to Bonfire Night, Poppy Wearing, maybe a bit of Diwali and then It's Christmaaaaas!
    Somebody shoot me.

I agree with your sentiments as there seems to be a celebration every day now. Though I do like a turkey dinner and mince pies. Christmas is for the children. Though nowadays with people scattered it is likely one of the few times families get together
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Stopper, ha. I must say I like both Easter and Bonfire Night a lot more. For Easter, it's cheaper and easier, and you don't really have to bother if you don't want to. Likewise, you can turn up to bonfires at night or not bother and no-one cares.

Christmas present-buying is not great fun.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Nigelb said:

Yes !!!
    Their chicken is not bad at all, especially washed down with 8 bottles of beer. Have been once in Dublin and it was good if very simple.
    Nandos... was a metaphor ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    While I'm not as 'down' on the Christmas celebrations as some, what the xxxx is Black Friday?

Is it to do with the chap in Robinson Crusoe?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    'Britannia waives the rules'

Well done Alastair. I am becoming increasingly skeptical that covid 19 is of such severity that it demands all these restrictions. There is no second wave of deaths comparable to the first. Perhaps 'long covid' is a sufficient threat to demand it but we aren't getting much data on it.
  • Options

While I'm not as 'down' on the Christmas celebrations as some, what the xxxx is Black Friday?

It used to be known as the Feast of St Amason
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Foxy, my wife was asking about Derek Draper. He has apparently gained a sort of consciousness after being in a coma for the best part of 8 months. I am obviously aware of long Covid but I have not personally heard or read of another case like that. Is this relatively common, unusual or unique? If the first of these are there a lot of ICU beds filled long term in this way?
    I understand that he developed multi organ failure while on ICU. I think he has been out of ICU onto a rehab ward for some time.

It is recognised that covid causes severe clotting problems that persist for a couple of months, causing strokes, heart attacks etc.

ICU is gruelling, ventilation particularly so, both physically and psychologically and take months to recover. The physically frail have very low survival rates on covid ICU. 90% of those on British ICU had no severe pre existing morbidities. Quite a few younger adults of all ethnicities when Mrs Foxy was working there last week.
  • Options
    Well I really like Christmas. My views on it are perfectly summed up in Tim Minchin's song Drinking white wine in the sun. It is not a religious festival for me but it is normally a delight to have so many of the family together playing games, catching up and eating and drinking far too much. I will really miss it this year.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    edited November 2020

DavidL said:

Pfizer say that immunising using their vaccine requires two injection 2-3 weeks apart. Others don't, but Pfizer's is what we'll have first.
    Given the record systems we have, or ought to have, in GP surgeries, getting everyone done ought to be possible, but there are quite a lot of people who are not registered with a GP, or are registered with GP's away from their current homes. That situation may well have improved, of course, since I had anything to do with it, of course.
    If we were going to have some other arrangement, then there will have to be some system for identifying people who have had jab one, and ensuring they are called for jab two.
    OKC, take vitamin D
    http://www.drdavidgrimes.com/2020/04/vitamin-d-and-immunity-important.html

I'll wait. I fail to see how normal safety testing of any vaccine can be complete before end 2021, even though governments have signed blank cheques (and as usual, indemnified producers against legal claims).
  • Options
    F1: hmm.

Leclerc's odds to be best of the rest have lengthened a little to 3.25. I think it's likelier to be a toss up between him and Perez (whose 1.67 is way too short with three races to go and just 4 points covering those two and Ricciardo).
  • Options

It is the Friday of Thanksgiving weekend, when traditionally Christmas shopping starts in the USA. Thanksgiving is a 4 day holiday in America, and the bigger occasion for family get together, like Christmas without presents really.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    DavidL said:

moonshine said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It's going to be a real challenge for the NHS to vaccinate 65m people once. Hancock points to the flu program but that is for a much smaller part of the population. Trying to ensure that 65m people get a second jab within a relatively short period of time more than doubles the problem. There must be a risk that a lot of people will only get partial inoculation. This is going to take months and months.
    I share the sentiments in the leading article (as do large majorities in all parties, as today's Opinium shows), and am not shy of criticising the government. But ar council level I'm seriously impressed by the scale of preparations for mass vaccination. Sites have mostly been selected in every town and poractical preparations are under way. I agree there will be hitches with people forgetting to do ijection 2 on time, people not registered with GPs, and so on. But cutting the spread requires it to work for most people, and I'm actually fairly confident that that will happen.

I've got an elderly uncle in Penzance who says he'd like to see me soon. I'll ber glad to, when we've been vaccinated. I wouldn't dream of gonig sooner.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    tlg86 said:

You might have thought that a killer virus being on the loose would have altered the behaviour of people considerably. Yet that hasn't happened with many people. My 74 year old dad still went to the pub twice a week when they were open, for example.
    During the Black Death, many people partied like crazy, on the basis that they might as well enjoy one last fling.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

DavidL said:

moonshine said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I share the sentiments in the leading article (as do large majorities in all parties, as today's Opinium shows), and am not shy of criticising the government. But ar council level I'm seriously impressed by the scale of preparations for mass vaccination. Sites have mostly been selected in every town and poractical preparations are under way. I agree there will be hitches with people forgetting to do ijection 2 on time, people not registered with GPs, and so on. But cutting the spread requires it to work for most people, and I'm actually fairly confident that that will happen.

I've got an elderly uncle in Penzance who says he'd like to see me soon. I'll ber glad to, when we've been vaccinated. I wouldn't dream of gonig sooner.
    I'm glad to read that, and especially that local authorities are very involved. We all (well most of us) know that bringing Cabinet members mates to 'manage' track and trace wasn't the most effective idea.

And best wishes for your trip to Cornwall; lovely place to go, shame about the way the economics have gone.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    Wasn't there a YouGov saying that people preferred to have lockdown over Christmas too more lockdown later?

Then, on the other hand, you have things like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/22/let-us-disobey-churches-defy-lockdown-with-secret-meetings

Whatever people tell opinion polls many will find an excuse for exempting the things they want to do. Permanent lockdown, with no strategy for bringing it to an end, will not hold.

I'm not sure the vaccine is a big enough carrot. Everyone has already been told to expect only some people to receive it by mid-2021.

I think it's possible that more people will die of Covid after the vaccine announcement on the 9th November then died before it.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited November 2020
    DavidL said:

Well I really like Christmas. My views on it are perfectly summed up in Tim Minchin's song Drinking white wine in the sun. It is not a religious festival for me but it is normally a delight to have so many of the family together playing games, catching up and eating and drinking far too much. I will really miss it this year.

I love that Minchin song too, a real tear-jerker.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    Dura_Ace said:

Xmas Day is a great hooning day due the sparsity of traffic and cops so I'll be taking the Fireblade for a rip. If I don't materialise on the 26th you'll know I rolled a 2.

I find driving on Christmas Day a pretty frightening experience, as so many other drivers are drunk,
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

They'd all just go and have a Bondi Beach-style Christmas bash. And there's bound to be some super spreader anti-vaxer there who has been hiding away....
    I've spent a couple of Christmases on a tropical beach. Don't knock it till you've tried it!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    DavidL said:

I think right or wrong a lot of people are going to disregard the advice or the law. This undermines the law and there is no real means of enforcing it. As @Dura_Ace has already adverted to there are very few police around on Christmas day and they have better things to do than break up Christmas dinners.

To a certain extent, therefore, the government is doing no more than bowing to the inevitable. Whether they should or not is more complicated. Personally, I would go for robust advice but make it clear that there will be no enforcement. I think being mealy mouthed about the advice is the worst of both worlds and increases the proportion who will be reckless.
    Christmas for most makes up for the guilt and lack of time given to family over they year. Just forget this year apart from the kids then try to be more family oriented during the tear. Get a turkey crown a bottle of cava and watch the bloody telly
This discussion has been closed.