Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump’s ongoing denial about the election results isn’t going down well with voters – politicalbetti

Comments

• Options

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Look, I'm not saying the situation is serious but the NY Times couldn't even do a "both sides" headline

https://twitter.com/skantrow/status/1329531142186340357?s=19

One of those summoned said on Tuesday that the result would not be changed. Now he is not responding to requests for comment.

Hope that doesn't mean he's busy changing his mind.
    Anything is possible.

I think there has been an enormous amount of complacency - because what Trump is trying to do is so outlandish everyone just assumes it couldn't possibly happen.

Well I think it's clear now that they are going to play every conceivable trick in the book - Republican canvassers won't certify results, Republican legislatures will appoint Trump electors - they will literally go for anything.

I fully accept that most people think they won't succeed and that may well be correct - but I wouldn't put money on it - this is the USA with a highly politicised Judiciary - absolutely anything could happen.
    I see we are back to coup d'etat hour on PB. The wine has sunk in, the fantastical posts are leaking through the mist.

To be clear: Ain't gonna happen.
    It certainly shouldn't, but lets also be clear: They are trying - and that shouldn't happen.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Just finished off the 8-part Scandi series DNA on iPlayer (hat-tip AndyJS for pointing it out) - really moving, multi-layered series (police drama on child abuction, with guest participation by Charlotte Rampling), with a very touching final installment. Recommended if you don't mind subtitltes (Danish/Polish, with smatterings with English and French) - it's by one of the authors of The Killing and The Bridge, though less gory and closer to everyday dilemmas. The first installment is over-melodramatic, but after that it just gets better and better.

Agree. You think it makes no sense then it all comes together very elegantly and poignantly.

Started on Mangrove this evening. Excellent. Very humbling and sobering also esp. when anyone should choose to query why we should as a society go out of our way to be aware of the history of black people in this country.
    Do you like being humbled and sobered?
    It was a very uncomfortable experience.

Which is from time to time a good thing but by all means stick to Friends as it's much the easier watch if that's your thing.
    I'm not into Friends, though I agree, many find it to be great entertainment. I am not having a go at you personally, I was just mulling this topic earlier having scanned through catch up looking for stuff to watch. We praise 'moving' TV programmes, but where are they moving us from and to? If they're moving us from being in a good mood to being in a depressed mood, I question their value. The way you describe the TV show you've watched sounds like the 'reading an improving book' of the Victorian era. An act of self-flagellation that appears to have little value outside being able to tell people you've endured it (which you have duly done).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Timmy on twitter wetting his pants about Sir Keir being challenged by Ian Lavery!
  • Options
    Who is the foremost Naval power in Europe now? It should never have stopped being us really. But I am pleased something's being done.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Just finished off the 8-part Scandi series DNA on iPlayer (hat-tip AndyJS for pointing it out) - really moving, multi-layered series (police drama on child abuction, with guest participation by Charlotte Rampling), with a very touching final installment. Recommended if you don't mind subtitltes (Danish/Polish, with smatterings with English and French) - it's by one of the authors of The Killing and The Bridge, though less gory and closer to everyday dilemmas. The first installment is over-melodramatic, but after that it just gets better and better.

Went off the rails at the end, though, with a storyline that became less and less credible. And that policewoman who kept taking massive blows to the head and then reappearing in the next scene with just a small plaster. Still, I always thought nuns were evil.
    I was surprised that it seems to be Danish police policy to allow lone cops to attend potential high risk situations.

That chubby lad with the beard must be the hardest working bloke in Scandi show business.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    The bed-wetters on here will respond in 3... 2... 1...
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Watching Obama last night on the BBC (free half hour of advertising for his book you might say) he did come across so well. Cameron did too in his time, but I think why these smooth types end up leaving chaos behind is their inability to resist sniping at their more explosive rivals (Trump/Farage/Leave) whilst selling themselves as moderate and reasonable. It pushes people towards the extremes, and I think Starmer is making the same error with Corbyn. It is for the likes of Farage/Trump and Jez to purge, not moderate centrist types

Trump won in 2016 because he wasn't Hillary.
    Biden won in 2020 because he wasn't Trump.

In 2016, had he been able to stand again, I think Obama would have trounced Trump.
    He wasn’t able to stand again. And his smart arse piss takes out of Trump helped enable Trump. As Cameron’s smart arse piss takes out of Leave enabled Leave

Politicians who call for unity & moderation don’t do so well when they go with personal attacks
    How come, when Trump insulted E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E during the 2016 primaries and general, that didn't "enable" his opponents?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

A 1 million a day, sounds like Boris has been making up targets again...

This constant upping of the ante is making me think of the South Sea Bubble for some reason, in at some point people will snap awake.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413
    edited November 2020
    dixiedean said:

We are literally weeks away from vaccinations starting and some are losing their minds like this is never going to end so let's go crazy.

It is insane.

Yes, precisely. The imminent prospect of vaccines being widely available - looking to be effective, safe, and ready to be produced in huge quantities - is a very strong argument for hunkering down over the next few months. The end is now very clearly in sight; a case deferred is now clearly a case that doesn't have to happen, a death postponed is a life saved. There was an argument for saying 'we just have to live with this and we're all going to be exposed to it in the end' if no vaccine was coming soon, but that argument no longer applies.
    But Christmas.
    Trouble is that this government rode to power on hope-over-experience, freedom-over-rules, sentiment-over-expertise, right now-over-right time, Spectator-over-speccy swots.

And having smashed open the lamp to let the genie out, they are in the tricky situation of saying "erm, it's trickier than that lads..."
  • Options

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Look, I'm not saying the situation is serious but the NY Times couldn't even do a "both sides" headline

One of those summoned said on Tuesday that the result would not be changed. Now he is not responding to requests for comment.

Anything is possible.

I think there has been an enormous amount of complacency - because what Trump is trying to do is so outlandish everyone just assumes it couldn't possibly happen.

Well I think it's clear now that they are going to play every conceivable trick in the book - Republican canvassers won't certify results, Republican legislatures will appoint Trump electors - they will literally go for anything.

I fully accept that most people think they won't succeed and that may well be correct - but I wouldn't put money on it - this is the USA with a highly politicised Judiciary - absolutely anything could happen.
    I see we are back to coup d'etat hour on PB. The wine has sunk in, the fantastical posts are leaking through the mist.

I don't think it will happen, but that a lot of americans in high positions would clearly like it to happen is concern enough.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

Watching Obama last night on the BBC (free half hour of advertising for his book you might say) he did come across so well. Cameron and Blair did too in their time, but I think why these smooth types end up leaving chaos behind is their inability to resist sniping at their more explosive rivals (Trump/Farage/Leave) whilst selling themselves as moderate and reasonable. It pushes people towards the extremes, and I think Starmer is making the same error with Corbyn. It is for the likes of Farage/Trump and Jez to purge, not moderate centrist types

What chaos did Obama leave behind?
    Was this a wise thing to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHckZCxdRkA
    I was thinking of this

https://youtu.be/wC1NGWM8gP8
    Oooooo. Chaos.
    In terms of foreign events linked to US policy, Obama's term was objectively more chaotic than Trump's.
    In terms of fascist marches and churn of White House staff and acolytes' criminal convictions and social media invective and grossly mismanaged health crises and the gutting of international institutions and allies insulted and trade wars and government shutdowns and just the whole numbing shitness of the Loser-in-Chief failing to recognise that his own people have booted him so heartily from office.... but never mind all that. Foreign events "linked to US policy". Right. [Pats williamglenn on the head]
    Apologies, America was clearly an unmitigated force for good and a shining city upon a hill until Trump arrived and spoilt everything...
    Ah, the old "you won't agree with my idiotic views, so I'll make up another idiotic view and assign it to you" defence.

Sometimes known as the strawman fallacy, but I prefer to think of it as the I-can-think-of-more-stupid-ideas-than-you gambit. Well done, you. [A second pat on the head]
    I can't think of a more stupid view than that it is idiotic even to entertain the idea that leaders like Obama, Cameron and Blair may have left a toxic legacy so I'm afraid you have me beat.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Agree. You think it makes no sense then it all comes together very elegantly and poignantly.

Started on Mangrove this evening. Excellent. Very humbling and sobering also esp. when anyone should choose to query why we should as a society go out of our way to be aware of the history of black people in this country.

Which is from time to time a good thing but by all means stick to Friends as it's much the easier watch if that's your thing.
    I'm not into Friends, though I agree, many find it to be great entertainment. I am not having a go at you personally, I was just mulling this topic earlier having scanned through catch up looking for stuff to watch. We praise 'moving' TV programmes, but where are they moving us from and to? If they're moving us from being in a good mood to being in a depressed mood, I question their value. The way you describe the TV show you've watched sounds like the 'reading an improving book' of the Victorian era. An act of self-flagellation that appears to have little value outside being able to tell people you've endured it (which you have duly done).
    Well there's that whole thing about if you forget history you are condemned to repeat it but this is in living memory and is imo a hugely important contributing factor of where we are today with race in the UK.

If for example you were born in 1983 (just a guess) then this was happening only a decade prior to your birth so very much relevant to today.
  • Options
    It says that the withdrawal of the whip was a consequence of the suspension (and therefore wah wah it's unfair it is not restored). Seems to me those things need not be directly related, in that the whip can be withdrawn from someone without suspending them from the party, and Starmer could do it before a suspension occurred I should think.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    edited November 2020
    MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Anything is possible.

I'm levelled off now in the main presidential market on Betfair, so this isn't my pocket talking but Pelosi can put a stone cold stop to all this.
    One Dem congressman, one Dem senator file an objection at the Electoral Count when Michigan's subverted GOP electors are read out. Electoral Count pauses,house doesn't reach a decision till 20th January. By operation of law Trump ceases his presidency on the 20th January and acting then President Pelosi directs the national guard to arrest him from the White House. The Democrats may well fuck this particular trick up - they're as incompetent sometimes as the GOP is outright evil.
    Yes, I saw the video posted on here last night.

And worth noting that under the scenario required to stop Trump, it would be Pelosi and not Biden who would become President.

How would Betfair then settle their President market? Void it?
    Tbf, from the video, Pelosi could step aside and allow Biden to be Speaker (Speaker doesn't have to be an elected representative).
  • Options
    isam said:

Timmy on twitter wetting his pants about Sir Keir being challenged by Ian Lavery!

I think the twitter links posted on here are excellent for various reasons. But I certainly wouldn't spend time on actual twitter.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

Watching Obama last night on the BBC (free half hour of advertising for his book you might say) he did come across so well. Cameron and Blair did too in their time, but I think why these smooth types end up leaving chaos behind is their inability to resist sniping at their more explosive rivals (Trump/Farage/Leave) whilst selling themselves as moderate and reasonable. It pushes people towards the extremes, and I think Starmer is making the same error with Corbyn. It is for the likes of Farage/Trump and Jez to purge, not moderate centrist types

I was thinking of this

Oooooo. Chaos.
    In terms of foreign events linked to US policy, Obama's term was objectively more chaotic than Trump's.
    In terms of fascist marches and churn of White House staff and acolytes' criminal convictions and social media invective and grossly mismanaged health crises and the gutting of international institutions and allies insulted and trade wars and government shutdowns and just the whole numbing shitness of the Loser-in-Chief failing to recognise that his own people have booted him so heartily from office.... but never mind all that. Foreign events "linked to US policy". Right. [Pats williamglenn on the head]
    Apologies, America was clearly an unmitigated force for good and a shining city upon a hill until Trump arrived and spoilt everything...
    Carter conceded
    Mondale conceded
    Dukakis conceded
    Bush Snr conceded
    Dole conceded
    Gore conceded
    Kerry conceded
    McCain conceded
    Romney conceded
    Hillary conceded

Dickhead Donald has NOT conceded
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2020

I can't think of a more stupid view than that it is idiotic even to entertain the idea that leaders like Obama, Cameron and Blair may have left a toxic legacy so I'm afraid you have me beat.

On the other hand I think you'd find it extremely hard to name a leader who didn't leave a toxic legacy by that standard. Sir Alec Douglas-Home is the only one who immediately occurs to me as a possibility, and I'm not sure it's particularly to his credit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Anything is possible.

I don't think it will happen, but that a lot of americans in high positions would clearly like it to happen is concern enough.
    What odds would you put on it happening?
  • Options
    Does that 1 in the 1-32 include the win that got overturned at a higher court, or did he actually win another one?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Went off the rails at the end, though, with a storyline that became less and less credible. And that policewoman who kept taking massive blows to the head and then reappearing in the next scene with just a small plaster. Still, I always thought nuns were evil.
    I was surprised that it seems to be Danish police policy to allow lone cops to attend potential high risk situations.

That chubby lad with the beard must be the hardest working bloke in Scandi show business.
    Spotted him early on as a wrong 'un.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Does that 1 in the 1-32 include the win that got overturned at a higher court, or did he actually win another one?
    I think it's the one which was overturned, in PA.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It says that the withdrawal of the whip was a consequence of the suspension (and therefore wah wah it's unfair it is not restored). Seems to me those things need not be directly related, in that the whip can be withdrawn from someone without suspending them from the party, and Starmer could do it before a suspension occurred I should think.
    If those 14 people can't accept that what Corbyn did was wrong and that antisemitism is not exaggerated and is a real problem in the party then perhaps Starmer should respond by suspending from the party another 14 people who reject the EHRC conclusions.

Excise the cancer completely.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Watching Obama last night on the BBC (free half hour of advertising for his book you might say) he did come across so well. Cameron did too in his time, but I think why these smooth types end up leaving chaos behind is their inability to resist sniping at their more explosive rivals (Trump/Farage/Leave) whilst selling themselves as moderate and reasonable. It pushes people towards the extremes, and I think Starmer is making the same error with Corbyn. It is for the likes of Farage/Trump and Jez to purge, not moderate centrist types

In 2016, had he been able to stand again, I think Obama would have trounced Trump.
    That correspondents dinner was tem trying to goad him into running in 2012. A full on Racist Birther Trump vs Obama would have been a massacre.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Anything is possible.

I lack the information to put a number on it, but I'd assume very low indeed. What does that have to do with the mere fact various people desire it is a big concern? People who want to do that sort of thing will also do a lot of other really awful stuff they are able to achieve.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Anything is possible.

It certainly shouldn't, but lets also be clear: They are trying - and that shouldn't happen.
    Agreed. The Trumptonite GOP are an absolute disgrace. I would have hoped that was implicit.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

I was thinking of this

Oooooo. Chaos.
    Carter conceded
    Mondale conceded
    Dukakis conceded
    Bush Snr conceded
    Dole conceded
    Gore conceded
    Kerry conceded
    McCain conceded
    Romney conceded
    Hillary conceded

Dickhead Donald has NOT conceded
    I read McConnell tried to equate the resistance to Trump over the last 4 years as amounting to the same thing as what Trump is doing now, as if Hillary conceding never happened.
  • Options

kle4 said:

If those 14 people can't accept that what Corbyn did was wrong and that antisemitism is not exaggerated and is a real problem in the party then perhaps Starmer should respond by suspending from the party another 14 people who reject the EHRC conclusions.

According to Sky News Corbyn's loss of whip will be reviewed in 3 months presumably by Kier
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Nigelb said:
    Oh they think everything violates their right to bear arms. Given how wide ranging that right appears to be did the Founding Fathers all walk around with 15 muskets poking out of their codpieces at all times or something?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Anything is possible.

I lack the information to put a number on it, but I'd assume very low indeed. What does that have to do with the mere fact various people desire it is a big concern? People who want to do that sort of thing will also do a lot of other really awful stuff they are able to achieve.
    Oh, absolutely agreed. I didn't mean to even vaguely imply otherwise. See my response to Philip above.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    £10,000 buys you £500? Steamrollers and pennies. And then there's the intractable paradox that the funds I would consider punting on a Biden win are tied up pending a payout on a Biden win.
  • Options

On the other hand I think you'd find it extremely hard to name a leader who didn't leave a toxic legacy by that standard. Sir Alec Douglas-Home is the only one who immediately occurs to me as a possibility, and I'm not sure it's particularly to his credit.
    He left a poisonous legacy of me calling him Alec Douglas-HOME in a Zoom quiz and being mockingly reminded it was HUME. :neutral:
  • Options
    That means certification is tomorrow IIRC.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

I was thinking of this

Oooooo. Chaos.
    Ah, the old "you won't agree with my idiotic views, so I'll make up another idiotic view and assign it to you" defence.

Sometimes known as the strawman fallacy, but I prefer to think of it as the I-can-think-of-more-stupid-ideas-than-you gambit. Well done, you. [A second pat on the head]
    I think you have yourself beat.
    All I asked was what chaos. I was told "Trump" which was preposterous. Then you chipped in to tell me that it was "objectively" more chaotic than Trump's, in a simultaneously narrow and yet ill-defined way (really, god alive, what were you thinking with "Foreign events linked to US policy"?).
    So in a way you were sort of getting near an answer, in a hand-wavy kind of way.. something something events.. but trying to pretend that you can help your argument by holding up Donald Trump as a comparator in the good-governance stakes? You might as well have donned a big red clown nose and a tutu.
  • Options

kle4 said:

According to Sky News Corbyn's loss of whip will be reviewed in 3 months presumably by Kier
    Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

Another PBer who cannot spell the Loto's name!
  • Options
    Yay for my £2.50 winnings on Georgia.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

That means certification is tomorrow IIRC.

Yep.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I think if something makes you reflect on something, on yourself even, then even if it is depressing then it clearly has value. We might need that sometimes.

But some things can be a kind of depression porn, wallowing in awfulness without actually saying much (quite a bit of modern fantasy literature falls into that trap), or saying something really insipid, on the misunderstanding that because something is sad, it is therefore deep.

I don't generally like depressing stuff, but I still found 12 years a slave to be a very worthwhile film to watch (though I did have to skip to the 'happy' end so I could get through the rough parts).
  • Options

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

Kier is the hier to Bliar?
  • Options

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Anything is possible.

I'm levelled off now in the main presidential market on Betfair, so this isn't my pocket talking but Pelosi can put a stone cold stop to all this.
    One Dem congressman, one Dem senator file an objection at the Electoral Count when Michigan's subverted GOP electors are read out. Electoral Count pauses,house doesn't reach a decision till 20th January. By operation of law Trump ceases his presidency on the 20th January and acting then President Pelosi directs the national guard to arrest him from the White House. The Democrats may well fuck this particular trick up - they're as incompetent sometimes as the GOP is outright evil.

And worth noting that under the scenario required to stop Trump, it would be Pelosi and not Biden who would become President.

Tbf, from the video, Pelosi could step aside and allow Biden to be Speaker (Speaker doesn't have to be an elected representative).
    The problem with his analysis, even if it stands up on the legal detail (he sounded pretty knowledgeable and authoritative) is that if the supreme court deliberately dont follow the law and support the Presidents fiction, then even if congress should be sovereign on this, it will come down to a power struggle, not a legal one. The existing President and Supreme Court vs Congress, who knows which way the Army and various state forces break in that scenario, civil war would certainly be a possibility, but I think most likely they would follow the President and SC.

The lower courts rulings and lack of any substance they have been able to show so far obviously make the fiction much harder for the SC judges to buy, but if they do, I doubt it will end up with President Pelosi in control of real power.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2020

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

I got an absolute bollocking when I used whom rather than who, PB is as always, consistent
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    They cannot help themselves either, having to claim he won by a landslide, not just that he won. I'd like to think I had enough self respect to never work for someone who made me act like that, but I guess you never know until you face it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Corbyn is currently in his 'pretend I don't think it was exaggerated' phase, but he always returns to form later. Which is presumably why Starmer wants to keep an eye on what he says over the next few months.
  • Options

The original point wasn’t that they left a toxic legacy, it was that by pretending to be moderate, neutral, all round good guys but partaking in petty name calling squabbles with explosive, divisive characters they helped enable them.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

Kier is the hier to Bliar?
    Kier Is Exactly Right is how I remember it. Or (hat tip Mr Meeks) i before e, except after Corbyn.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

I got an absolute bollocking when I used whom rather than who, PB is as always, consistent
    Whom on earth did that?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yay for my £2.50 winnings on Georgia.

Well it's a greater win than Trump's at least.
  • Options

Who is the foremost Naval power in Europe now? It should never have stopped being us really. But I am pleased something's being done.
    Do you not think there are better things to be spending public money on?

Like, perhaps, pandemic defence and reviving a hospitality sector that is critical to the British way of life?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    edited November 2020

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Anything is possible.

The problem with his analysis, even if it stands up on the legal detail (he sounded pretty knowledgeable and authoritative) is that if the supreme court deliberately dont follow the law and support the Presidents fiction, then even if congress should be sovereign on this, it will come down to a power struggle, not a legal one. The existing President and Supreme Court vs Congress, who knows which way the Army and various state forces break in that scenario, civil war would certainly be a possibility, but I think most likely they would follow the President and SC.

The lower courts rulings and lack of any substance they have been able to show so far obviously make the fiction much harder for the SC judges to buy, but if they do, I doubt it will end up with President Pelosi in control of real power.
    And as the video points out if it gets to that point, there's no point examining things in terms of legal analysis.
    More importantly the market should settle for Biden as he clearly has the most projected electoral votes. Things don't reach the 12th amendment.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

I was thinking of this

Oooooo. Chaos.

All I asked was what chaos. I was told "Trump" which was preposterous. Then you chipped in to tell me that it was "objectively" more chaotic than Trump's, in a simultaneously narrow and yet ill-defined way (really, god alive, what were you thinking with "Foreign events linked to US policy"?).
    So in a way you were sort of getting near an answer, in a hand-wavy kind of way.. something something events.. but trying to pretend that you can help your argument by holding up Donald Trump as a comparator in the good-governance stakes? You might as well have donned a big red clown nose and a tutu.
    I wouldn't have chosen the word chaos to begin with but that's the reason I went for the example of foreign policy where Obama's record was undoubtedly chequered. What happened in the last four years to compete with the Libyan intervention, mishandling of Syria or Russia's annexation of Crimea? The world was in a more chaotic state in 2016 than in 2008 and some of that is attributable to the Obama administration.

It was meant as an ironic observation rather than the defence of Trump that you seem to have taken it as.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    This isn't an increase; it's just restating the existing commitments (8 x T26, 5 x T31). Where's the 16bn going?

T32 is a rebrand of T31e for the export market.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

Whom on earth did that?
    Rogerm Daltreym?
  • Options
    How is it that Sir Keir can be a forensic, hot shot lawyer, principled to within an inch of his life, yet less than a year ago was in the shadow cabinet, campaigning for someone he thinks is an anti-Semite to be Prime Minister?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954

Yang? Buttigieg?
    Obama?

Warren?

Meg Whitman?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Well there's that whole thing about if you forget history you are condemned to repeat it but this is in living memory and is imo a hugely important contributing factor of where we are today with race in the UK.

If for example you were born in 1983 (just a guess) then this was happening only a decade prior to your birth so very much relevant to today.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The point about forgetting history is oft-repeated but I am not sure it is un-contested truth. But that's another debate!
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Like, perhaps, pandemic defence and reviving a hospitality sector that is critical to the British way of life?
    My industry is part UK hospitality - I think we'll be fine.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    edited November 2020
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Anything is possible.

And as the video points out if it gets to that point, there's no point examining things in terms of legal analysis.
    More importantly the market should settle for Biden as he clearly has the most electoral votes.
    If its most electoral votes then please can they re-settle the 2016 whilst they are at it?

More seriously, Trump does need to create a legal fiction to get the SC and Army on board, so the law matters even if its not decisive in the Trump win, it is still necessary. It needs some plausibility.

Its a massive task to create that fiction from what was a slightly bigger than average Presidential win for Biden. If it had been close I think he may have succeeded.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    Dura_Ace said:

This isn't an increase; it's just restating the existing commitments (8 x T26, 5 x T31). Where's the 16bn going?

T32 is a rebrand of T31e for the export market.
    Is the rebrand a confirmation that we might actually build the things ?
    I don’t follow this closely, but I got the impression that quite a lot of the money might be to fill the ongoing funding deficit ?
  • Options
    isam said:

How is it that Sir Keir can be a forensic, hot shot lawyer, principled to within an inch of his life, yet less than a year ago was in the shadow cabinet, campaigning for someone he thinks is an anti-Semite to be Prime Minister?

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer....
  • Options

I wouldn't have chosen the word chaos to begin with but that's the reason I went for the example of foreign policy where Obama's record was undoubtedly chequered. What happened in the last four years to compete with the Libyan intervention, mishandling of Syria or Russia's annexation of Crimea? The world was in a more chaotic state in 2016 than in 2008 and some of that is attributable to the Obama administration.

Hmm, I think you are on a very sticky wicket there. Iran, for a starter, where Trump has unambiguously and by direct action made things worse, with potentially catastrophic consequences that may well dwarf Libya, Syria or Crimea. And all those three were not caused by the Western leaders. You can argue that they didn't respond well to the developing crises, but any fool can carp from the sidelines, and even with hindsight it's hard to see what better responses could have been made.
  • Options

Good oh. Panic over.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

He wasn’t able to stand again. And his smart arse piss takes out of Trump helped enable Trump. As Cameron’s smart arse piss takes out of Leave enabled Leave

Politicians who call for unity & moderation don’t do so well when they go with personal attacks
    There seems to be something of a double standard here: Trump is allowed to push his crazy Birther stuff, but Obama isn't allowed to hit back.
    The maxim about wrestling with pigs applies.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

People on here are always getting politicians' names wrong. They keep referring to the PM as "Boris".
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    Keir Ends In R. Easy.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

People on here are always getting politicians' names wrong. They keep referring to the PM as "Boris".
    Well you can understand the confusion now that Dominic's gone.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Anything is possible.

More importantly the market should settle for Biden as he clearly has the most electoral votes.
    If its most electoral votes then please can they re-settle the 2016 whilst they are at it?

More seriously, Trump does need to create a legal fiction to get the SC and Army on board, so the law matters even ifs not decisive in the Trump win, it is still necessary. It needs some plausibility.

Its a massive task to create that fiction from what was a slightly bigger than average Presidential win for Biden. If it had been close I think he may have succeeded.
    Close in one state and GOP control of the House would have been a done deal for Trump. There's too many moving parts against him now as you imply.
    I meant projected electoral college votes, the popular vote is of course irrelevant in law or fact for deciding the winner.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I think if something makes you reflect on something, on yourself even, then even if it is depressing then it clearly has value. We might need that sometimes.

But some things can be a kind of depression porn, wallowing in awfulness without actually saying much (quite a bit of modern fantasy literature falls into that trap), or saying something really insipid, on the misunderstanding that because something is sad, it is therefore deep.

I don't generally like depressing stuff, but I still found 12 years a slave to be a very worthwhile film to watch (though I did have to skip to the 'happy' end so I could get through the rough parts).
    But that is based on the underlying notion that one has to suffer to achieve something good. To be a better person one has to inflict some form of challenge or suffering on oneself.
  • Options

Good oh. Panic over.
    I don't recall panicking.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

There seems to be something of a double standard here: Trump is allowed to push his crazy Birther stuff, but Obama isn't allowed to hit back.
    That’s exactly the point!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

He left a poisonous legacy of me calling him Alec Douglas-HOME in a Zoom quiz and being mockingly reminded it was HUME. :neutral:
    Sir Alec Douglas Home is in bed with flo
  • Options

Good oh. Panic over.
    I don't recall panicking.
    Good oh. Publicans, restaurateurs and hoteliers up and down the land can sleep soundly in their beds.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Anything is possible.

More seriously, Trump does need to create a legal fiction to get the SC and Army on board, so the law matters even ifs not decisive in the Trump win, it is still necessary. It needs some plausibility.

Close in one state and GOP control of the House would have been a done deal for Trump. There's too many moving parts against him now as you imply.
    I meant projected electoral college votes, the popular vote is of course irrelevant in law or fact for deciding the winner.
    The other key point to those dismissing this coup attempt is it was initiated many months back, when Republican politicians in key states set the rules that mail in votes had to be counted last, and the President attacked mail in voting. Hundreds of republican elected officials were completely fine with this shameless attack on democracy.

Even if it fails, the mere fact a coup has been attempted and planned in advance in plain sight, yet is seen as a temper tantrum in response to Trump losing shows how complacent commentators are here.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

I was thinking of this

Oooooo. Chaos.

It was meant as an ironic observation rather than the defence of Trump that you seem to have taken it as.
    No, I wasn't taking it as a defence of Trump, I was taking it on its own merits, which were ludicrous.
    Now that you've identified some specific things, yes, some of those events could certainly have been handled better by Obama's government. Russia has been a big problem the last decade, and it's not just Crimea. cyber warfare, its political meddling across the West (and I'm not just talking USA, I'm talking Scotland, Brexit, France, Germany, Italy, Catalonia), its probing of Western military responses (Sweden, the Baltics, the UK), its policy of murdering people on the streets of Britain, its bargain with Assad. These are problems that need a better response from the West as a united bloc.
    I could throw in a comparison now with Trump, but it's too easy and it's besides the point. Here we absolutely can judge the Obama administration on its own merits. And whilst it was imperfect, there are some good points. The Magnitsky Act is one, and both Democrats and Republicans deserve credit for that.

I don't agree that the world was more chaotic in 2016 than 2008. Some things were worse and others better. The financial crisis was pretty profound and was the cause of a lot of the problems that happened in subsequent years. I think we could have done a lot worse than Obama and Cameron during that time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

You need to use quotation marks, otherwise that sentence makes no sense.

I got an absolute bollocking when I used "whom" rather than "who", PB is as always, consistent
    Semicolon, comma, and full stop, please:
    I got an absolute bollocking when I used "whom" rather than "who"; PB is, as always, consistent.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

I got an absolute bollocking when I used "whom" rather than "who", PB is as always, consistent
    No full stop at the end of that sentence, is that because a full stop is intimidating?
  • Options
    Just a reminder of the danger of predicting good times.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1212679425629859840?s=20
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Are there two Ian Murrays?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

Personally I would replace the first comma with a full stop and insert a different comma after "is".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

I never saw what was crazy about the birther theory. It is virtually certainly wrong, but it is perfectly coherent and rational. Not like thinking he was spawned by giant lizards. Not even as bonkers as thinking the Old Pretender was smuggled in in a warming pan.
  • Options

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

But that is based on the underlying notion that one has to suffer to achieve something good. To be a better person one has to inflict some form of challenge or suffering on oneself.
    No it isn't. Some stories and lessons might require it, but most do not. And even when it might be it still has to be an entertaining watch in some form - great acting, direction etc - or there is no value as there mere fact it is depressing and suffering to get through doesn't mean you will take anything of value from it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

[voiceover] "There was me, that is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel, and my three droogs, that is Priti, Govey, and Dom, and we sat in the Kensington Milkbar trying to make up our Raab-oodocks what to do with the evening. The Kensington Milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus GM Soya or Corn Syrup or Chlorinated Chicken, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old No-deal Brexit!"
  • Options

When friends of yours get divorced do you ring up the people who gave speeches at the wedding to say LOL, you must feel really stupid now?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

When friends of yours get divorced do you ring up the people who gave speeches at the wedding to say LOL, you must feel really stupid now?
    I dunno, none of my friends have got divorced. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Roger said:

kle4 said:

Are there two Ian Murrays?
    Yes, as it turns out.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

[voiceover] "There was me, that is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel, and my three droogs, that is Priti, Govey, and Dom, and we sat in the Kensington Milkbar trying to make up our Raab-oodocks what to do with the evening. The Kensington Milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus GM Soya or Corn Syrup or Chlorinated Chicken, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old No-deal Brexit!"
    Surely "and Priti, Priti being really priti"?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Alistair said:

Anything is possible.

The Electoral College, in its current form, is a gerrymander.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Depends on the speech. "I wish you a happy statistically average 12 years together".
  • Options

kle4 said:

Keir.

K-E-I-R

K

E

I

R

Beethoven-ready Brexit
  • Options
    MrEd said:

isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

I was thinking of this

That was a stupid thing of Obama. What really showed his character though was the look in his eyes at the end.
    Bonkers!
This discussion has been closed.