Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

And for tonight “50 Ways to Leave the White House” – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    geoffw said:

Prof Carl Heneghan & Tom Jefferson "Landmark Danish study shows face masks have no significant effect"

Unlike other studies looking at masks, the Danmask study was a randomised controlled trial – making it the highest quality scientific evidence.

Concludes:
    And now that we have properly rigorous scientific research we can rely on, the evidence shows that wearing masks in the community does not significantly reduce the rates of infection.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/do-masks-stop-the-spread-of-covid-19-

Ah, I see he is still looking for everything to go back to normal given that we hit zero covid deaths exactly as he predicted.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,187
    edited November 2020
    geoffw said:

Prof Carl Heneghan & Tom Jefferson "Landmark Danish study shows face masks have no significant effect"

Unlike other studies looking at masks, the Danmask study was a randomised controlled trial – making it the highest quality scientific evidence.

Concludes:
    And now that we have properly rigorous scientific research we can rely on, the evidence shows that wearing masks in the community does not significantly reduce the rates of infection.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/do-masks-stop-the-spread-of-covid-19-

It's very far from rigorous.

There's an extensive critique of the paper here:

Letter of concern regarding »Reduction in COVID-19 infection using surgical facial masks outside the healthcare system«
    https://ugeskriftet.dk/dmj/letter-concern-regarding-reduction-covid-19-infection-using-surgical-facial-masks-outside-healthcare
    ...This study poses a serious risk of mistranslation, in part due to misleading statements about what the study actually measures in the protocol paper and trial registration. To most decision-makers, null or too-small effects will be misinterpreted to mean that masks are ineffective. However, the more accurate translation is that this study is uninformative regarding the benefits (or lack thereof) of wearing masks outside of the healthcare setting. As such, we caution decision-makers and the media from interpreting the results of this trial as being anything other than artifacts of weak design.

There were similar warnings about the trial long before the results came out:
    https://twitter.com/NoahHaber/status/1280206598456004609
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,957
    IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

Pulpstar said:

You'd hope people could use their common sense about christmas and skip meeting for instance cousins and extended family and so forth.
    You watch people go absolutely nuts. 5 days on the lash, house to house.
    No doubt the press reports will find such things but I suspect most ordinary folk will be pretty sensible.
    You cannot be serious.
    I totally am - but then I live in the real world not the idiocy of Twitter and other media [ including PB].
    So, are you forced to come here as a parole condition or something?

A large enough minority, in England, will behave recklessly to cause a January spike.
    Tetchy , tetchy. We will see - I never denied the possibility but I maintain most people will be cautious. The p[olling bears this out I believe.
    It wasn't me that introduced "idiocy" into the mix. I think you are in Spain? You may have forgotten the toxic mix of mawkish sentimentality and extreme drunkenness which is the English Christmas.

In Scotland they also have the hogmanay.
    Think we will be locked down again before hogmanay. I don’t think Nicola believes in drinking.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,959
    Nigelb said:

Australian special forces involved in murder of 39 Afghan civilians, war crimes report alleges
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/nov/19/australian-special-forces-involved-in-of-39-afghan-civilians-war-crimes-report-alleges

The ASAS should be disbanded over this but probably won't be.
  • Good morning, everyone.

F1: Mick Schumacher may be driving for Haas next year.
  • Those of you with gym memberships - anyone arguing with your gym over membership? My 12 month contract expires at the end of December and I've given them notice to cancel. Extraordinarily they have emailed me and informed me that they have extended my contract for the months they were closed.

I know the pox has been tough for a lot of businesses. But one party can't unilaterally change a contract without the other party agreeing. They say "you haven't made 12 payments" - true, they haven't taken payments when closed. But the contract doesn't provide any ability for them to change 12 months to an indefinite period until they claim 12 payments.

On Twitter it seems to be a standard tactic for gyms. What makes this one even sillier is that I had to use the wayback machine to find their members T&Cs - the page that hosts them has been mysteriously dropped from their website. I wonder why...
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

Pulpstar said:

You'd hope people could use their common sense about christmas and skip meeting for instance cousins and extended family and so forth.
    You watch people go absolutely nuts. 5 days on the lash, house to house.
    No doubt the press reports will find such things but I suspect most ordinary folk will be pretty sensible.
    You cannot be serious.
    I totally am - but then I live in the real world not the idiocy of Twitter and other media [ including PB].
    So, are you forced to come here as a parole condition or something?

A large enough minority, in England, will behave recklessly to cause a January spike.
    Tetchy , tetchy. We will see - I never denied the possibility but I maintain most people will be cautious. The p[olling bears this out I believe.
    It wasn't me that introduced "idiocy" into the mix. I think you are in Spain? You may have forgotten the toxic mix of mawkish sentimentality and extreme drunkenness which is the English Christmas.

In Scotland they also have the hogmanay.
    I spent last one in A&E with my wife so this year can only be an improvement
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    edited November 2020

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

isam said:

twitter.com/theshadeborough/status/1329028145715040256?s=21

There are some funny fake fury tweets from black people under the white Sainsbury’s ad - hooked a few
    The halfwits of all hues need to get a life , whining whinging cretins.
    Morning Malcolm, nice to see your sunny disposition shining through. How's life in tier 4?
    Morning David, I am in the republic of North Aysrshire so only Tier 3, daughter not so lucky in the posh South Ayrshire who are on 4.
    I am very well, Helen is much better , still not 100% for sure and given her telephone appointments keep getting delayed it is hard to figure out when if ever she will be , I think she will always have some lung issues.
    Overall all well even though stuck indoors for what feels like ever now. Think that will be our lot till spring at a minimum but living well. Hope you and family are well.
    Do you not have any good info on Salmond scandal to PM me, sure all you lawyers know the schemers.
    Morning Malcolm. We are also in North Ayrshire. Surprised and relieved that we are not in tier 4, especially as our daughter is a beautician and our granddaughter is a hairdresser. Also relieved that our MSP has been reselected, despite the wokies.
    Nice one, going by name I assume you are a bit North of me. I was surprised to see South Ayrshire in it. @Fairliered
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,809
    edited November 2020
    felix said:
    Idiotic comment by you in the current circumstances of the least fiscally responsible Tory Govt ever and Richi eat cake to help out Sunak

and by Brown on the specifics of Defence vs overseas aid.
This discussion has been closed.