Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The best Georgia run-off bet – the Democrats to take both Senate seats at a 23.3% chance – political

Comments

• Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Have we ever had such a poor choice of leaders as Johnson and Starmer. No wonder the Scots prefer Sturgeon.

After brexit, I think 'mainstream' parties will be under pressure. We will see BLM on the left and Reform/Reclaim on the right gain some ground.

I I heard an interesting comment this morning. The party that says it won;t take away your car might do quite well at the next election.
    That will present a difficult choice for middle-of-the-road moderate types like you if our politics polarizes to that extent.
    well I appreciate that continuing to own a car is somewhat 'niche' politically, given there are currently only 20 million or so motorists, but I reckon it will catch on..

Still, I;ve got some persuading to do, I grant you.
    We've passed peak car though. No doubt about that. The habit is fading out rather than catching on. Even my beloved old Merc is having to go soon. By 21 Oct next year to be precise. The expanded London ULEZ zone will mean a fee of £12.50 every time I drive it. No exemption for residents. So, car goes or I must move to the sticks.
    Can't you buy a compliant car instead? That's my plan. Although now I have a bike I am planning to drive less anyway.
    Yes. And if I do I'll probably go the whole hog and get an electric. But the thing is, I've had my Merc for 25 years - it's my oldest possession apart from my chess set - and I'm attached to it. Has zero resale so I'd have to sell it for scrap and I'd find that so hard given it still looks good and runs perfectly. MOT in Jan and in a perverse way I'm kind of hoping it fails with lots of expensive mandatories. Would make the decision.
    Sorry to hear you will be saying goodbye to an old friend! I like my car but don't feel much emotional attachment to it. It's a good way of taking the family on holiday and camping trips etc and I am grateful it is so reliable but I will say goodbye to it quite happily next year. To be honest I don't get very attached to stuff.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,895
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Have we ever had such a poor choice of leaders as Johnson and Starmer. No wonder the Scots prefer Sturgeon.

After brexit, I think 'mainstream' parties will be under pressure. We will see BLM on the left and Reform/Reclaim on the right gain some ground.

I I heard an interesting comment this morning. The party that says it won;t take away your car might do quite well at the next election.
    That will present a difficult choice for middle-of-the-road moderate types like you if our politics polarizes to that extent.
    well I appreciate that continuing to own a car is somewhat 'niche' politically, given there are currently only 20 million or so motorists, but I reckon it will catch on..

Over 80% of all new cars are personal contract hire. It stunned me when I heard it. So yes people have stopped owning a car. We own 2 that sit on our drive most of the time, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them even though it makes no sense to carry on owning them.
    Do you mean PCP (personal contract purchase)?

PCH is a different thing (and less common – at least I think so)

In any case, it's utterly pointless 'owning' a car outright these days. Why would you?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

We've passed peak car though. No doubt about that. The habit is fading out rather than catching on. Even my beloved old Merc is having to go soon. By 21 Oct next year to be precise. The expanded London ULEZ zone will mean a fee of £12.50 every time I drive it. No exemption for residents. So, car goes or I must move to the sticks.
    Can't you buy a compliant car instead? That's my plan. Although now I have a bike I am planning to drive less anyway.
    I've just bought a clean diesel Q7, it's Ulez compliant. Getting rid of ancient filthy vehicles is overall a good thing.

I also support Boris' ban on all ICE cars by 2030 – will flip my car to an EV in four years or so. Exciting times.
    Yeah. I am trying to contain my yearning for a Tesla this time around, feels too early to be buying an electric car.
    A mate's in the market for a Model S – and would have one already were it not for the fact that his company's fleet manager was a dullard. Once companies become alive to the tax savings, there will be no way back for ICEs IMO.
    Electric company cars are already a no-brainer, the benefit in kind of 0%, 1%, 2% over the next few years sees to that.
    Pretty soon (next year?) the price of new electric cars will crossover with ICE cars. By the time 2030 rolls around it will only be hobbyists buying fossil fuel cars.
    Spot on.

As you imply, the 2030 Boris ban will have ceased to be controversial by the time it comes into force.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I've just bought a clean diesel Q7, it's Ulez compliant. Getting rid of ancient filthy vehicles is overall a good thing.

I also support Boris' ban on all ICE cars by 2030 – will flip my car to an EV in four years or so. Exciting times.
    Yeah. I am trying to contain my yearning for a Tesla this time around, feels too early to be buying an electric car.
    A mate's in the market for a Model S – and would have one already were it not for the fact that his company's fleet manager was a dullard. Once companies become alive to the tax savings, there will be no way back for ICEs IMO.
    Apart from the suspension, the Model 3 is arguably a better car in many ways.
    Any experience with the Model X?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,200

algarkirk said:

Cheapest electric car is about 22k new. The fairly high cost is regularly defended by advocates explaining that they are cheap to run because of low energy costs and it balances out. But the ban on petrol cars might unduly affect older people who need a car but only do a few miles pottering to shops etc. The cost per mile will work out to be a lot.

At some stage, the world has to move on. There are people driving around ancient diesels with no particulate filter and no AdBlue, and paying around third of the VED that I pay on a very clean car. At what stage do you say, 'enough already let's get these filthy beasts off the road'?
    Tesla, for example, are planning to release a $25K car in the next 3 years. 300 mile range etc.

At that point, game over man. As Corporal Hudson said....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Well done Keir Starmer.

I think it was unnecessary. Corbyn was finished. He's the wrong person to be seen kicking when he's down. He's not a thug like Hatton. Neither do many see him personally as a racist.

• Options
    I’ve just realised that the only rational explanation for what happened in the US election was a truly huge conspiracy involving almost 80 million people!
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    GA - Fox5 Atlanta/Insider Advantage - 800 LV - 16 Nov

Ossoff 49 .. Perdue 49

Warnock 49 .. Loeffler 48

https://insideradvantage.com/2020/11/17/iagfox-5-poll-senate-races-locked-up-kemp-approval-sags/
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,032

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Electric company cars are already a no-brainer, the benefit in kind of 0%, 1%, 2% over the next few years sees to that.
    Pretty soon (next year?) the price of new electric cars will crossover with ICE cars. By the time 2030 rolls around it will only be hobbyists buying fossil fuel cars.
    Spot on.

As you imply, the 2030 Boris ban will have ceased to be controversial by the time it comes into force.
    Not when the lights go out because we don't have the generation capacity to cope.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

JACK_W said:

PA now at Biden +81K .. NV at +33K and Biden edging toward a 6M vote popular win with New York state still at 82% reporting and bits and bobs elsewhere including 2% from California.

Yes, it wasn't really that 'close' at all in the end was it?
    It was close because the states Trump needed to hold onto the presidency were Georgia, Wisconsin and Arizona. The Biden majority in Georgia and Arizona is about 14,000 votes and 10,000 in Wisconsin. That would have led to a 269-269 result which would almost certainly have gone in Trump's favour.
    In all three states! So two of those could have been Trumped and Biden would still have won?

As I say, not that close.
    It looks like the PV margin is going to round out at about 6m, or 4%.

We punters were pretty sure it was close to impossible for Trump to win if he were that far behind Nationally, but looking at how close Trump got I'd have to say that was a bit of miscalculation.

It just shows you how distorting the effect of the ECV can be.
    Yes, the Electoral College really is an absolutely ridiculous system.

It makes the race very exciting in a nerdish game show sort of sense – but it's a completely bonkers way to select a president.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

My sister has a Model 'S' and it's a lovely car - but it's much too large for me. The model 3 is about the size of a BMW 3 Series, maybe a touch larger. But the BMW 3 Series itself has grown over the years since I owned one. When I buy a new car it will be electric and I'll be looking at the VW ID.3, Tesla Model 3 (and new smaller one when it comes out) and the Polestar 2 when the cheaper version is released.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Scott_xP said:
    I that is spot on. The departures of Trump and Cummings is intertwinned
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Not Matt's finest hour.

The range of good EVs these days is pushing 300 miles.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Spot on.

Not when the lights go out because we don't have the generation capacity to cope.
    Ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

GA - Fox5 Atlanta/Insider Advantage - 800 LV - 16 Nov

Ossoff 49 .. Perdue 49

Warnock 49 .. Loeffler 48

https://insideradvantage.com/2020/11/17/iagfox-5-poll-senate-races-locked-up-kemp-approval-sags/

Very close!

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,072
    edited November 2020

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Don't tell me you're planning to move to Epping?
    :smile: - Not on the shortlist.

"White supremacy themepark" (Stewart Lee gig in Essex). Brave.
    Stewart Lee loves to insult the audience, it's part of the experience. He had some harsh words for the citizens of Dartford when I saw him there.
    To bring the thread full circle, YouGov has a facility where you tell them one thing you like and it predicts everything about you. It correctly predicted everything about me, including shopping at Sainsbury's as well as what make of car we have, based on my liking Stewart Lee. Sad how we are so predictable, when we each like to think we are so unique.
    Ah well I like him and I go to Waitrose. So I must be that little bit harder to pigeon hole. But then again, youtube seems to know exactly what songs I want to listen to, and it's not an obvious thing such as I play a Westlife and they then suggest a Boyzone. It's much more subtle than that.

Yes, Lee is clever. He walks a highwire that not many could do. And he manages to be both woke and antiwoke at the same time. If only all antiwokes could also be underlying woke we really could make progress.
  • Options

I’ve just realised that the only rational explanation for what happened in the US election was a truly huge conspiracy involving almost 80 million people!

lamestream voters.
    fake views.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,286

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

justin124 said:

Finished "The Crown". Enjoyable, superior soap opera, but at times drifted from "dramatic licence" into "Fake News". For example, suggesting that Thatcher was opposed to sanctions on South Africa because her son had business interests there (out by a decade, after Thatcher had left office) or that she was in favour of apartheid and Mandela against sanctions (he urged her to not lift them too quickly to maintain pressure on the regime). The most ludicrous bit was the suggestion that Thatcher asked the queen to dissolve parliament so she could hang on during the leadership challenge. The Charles and Diana bits are very soapy and Princess Margaret played for tragedy - ignoring the "good works" she did - for example with AIDS, long before Diana showed up with the cameras. It wasn't an accident that Margaret was the Royal Patron of The Lighthouse and the Terrence Higgins Trust.

Spoiler alert please!

Thatcher leaves office??
    Nobody tell @justin124 - he was acting as if Thatcher was still PM and John Carlisle (RIP) was still an MP last night.
    Not the point at all.Is it unreasonable to expect the current Tory leadership to condemn the likes of Carlisle and Dicks - and the failure of Thatcher and Major to have them removed from the parliamentary party?To this day very few Tories would refuse to criticise Archibald Ramsey - the Tory MP locked up for most of World War 2 on account of his clear Fascist sympathies.
    If Starmer is to be condemned for his action re-Corbyn, what does that say about the failure of Thatcher and Major to act against clear evil in their own ranks? The point can even be extended to Heath who failed to get rid of Tory MPs who were pro-Apartheid and supportive of the Smith regime in Rhodesia.
    Well, certain Torties on PB keep bringing up the SNP MP who was arrested in WW2 - on false evidence from the Tories and promptly released on investigation, yet they don't mention Captain Ramsay. Very strange.
    Donaldson was never actually an mp. He looms unnaturally large in the psyches of Unionists though.
    Every day is a learning day on PB. I had honestly never heard of him before.
    In that case I salute you for avoiding the more noisome corners of Unionist online discussion, something I'm endeavouring to do on the Nat side of the fence.
    I salute both of you for that.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    algarkirk said:

The Guardian is always so sure about its virtuous moral ground about everything. Has anyone any idea where it plans to stand in the Jezza v SKS (ie social democrat v marxist/loony) war that looks about to break out? Can it stand anywhere without offending almost exactly half its readers? Appearances suggest that there is no middle ground.

It will stand with SKS imo.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,032
    Roger said:

Well done Keir Starmer.

I think it was unnecessary. Corbyn was finished. He's the wrong person to be seen kicking when he's down. He's not a thug like Hatton. Neither do many see him personally as a racist.

No, Labour are hopelessly unelectable with the spectre of Corbyn hanging over them.

Corbyn's hoods showed no compassion to Luciana Berger when she was down.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

algarkirk said:

Cheapest electric car is about 22k new. The fairly high cost is regularly defended by advocates explaining that they are cheap to run because of low energy costs and it balances out. But the ban on petrol cars might unduly affect older people who need a car but only do a few miles pottering to shops etc. The cost per mile will work out to be a lot.

At some stage, the world has to move on. There are people driving around ancient diesels with no particulate filter and no AdBlue, and paying around third of the VED that I pay on a very clean car. At what stage do you say, 'enough already let's get these filthy beasts off the road'?
    Tesla, for example, are planning to release a $25K car in the next 3 years. 300 mile range etc.

I have a friend (70 year old woman, highly organised) who has a little electric bmw who is forever limiting herself to 30/not having the heating on/not demisting the windscreen (hence having to have the windows open), all to conserve mileage. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. The ICE's yuge unnoticed advantage is that electric for all the auxiliaries is free. As for the "only" 40 minutes (is it?) recharging time, the history of industrial civilisation is the history of saving 40 minute slots of time. We pay £1000s to reduce latencies by 10s of ms. 40 minutes = lol. These things suck.
  • Options

Roger said:

Well done Keir Starmer.

No, Labour are hopelessly unelectable with the spectre of Corbyn hanging over them.

Recent polling tends to say that Labour probably are electable.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    edited November 2020
    Roger said:

Well done Keir Starmer.

His suspension wasn't about his being a racist it was him undermining the leader and party in its response to the EHRC report. Hes served thst suspension and no more but the PLP is Starmers domain and he can take a slightly harder stance on his MPs, as any group leader could on a council.

Starmer was i think trying to prevent Corbynistas doing a victory lap at him being vindicated, showing that while the suspension is done Corbyn mucked up. And they were treating it that way.

That seems entirely proportionate. All hes done is not roll out the welcome mat.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

I have a friend (70 year old woman, highly organised) who has a little electric bmw who is forever limiting herself to 30/not having the heating on/not demisting the windscreen (hence having to have the windows open), all to conserve mileage. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. The ICE's yuge unnoticed advantage is that electric for all the auxiliaries is free. As for the "only" 40 minutes (is it?) recharging time, the history of industrial civilisation is the history of saving 40 minute slots of time. We pay £1000s to reduce latencies by 10s of ms. 40 minutes = lol. These things suck.
    "electric for all the auxiliaries is free"
    that doesn't sound right to me
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Alan Coren used to say the sole purpose of Sainsburys was to keep the riffraff out of Waitrose.

For me Sainsbury's is the sweet spot - neither up itself like Waitrose or M&S nor cheap looking like Tesco or Asda. I just find the German discounters disorienting, although they have good stuff at low prices. Plus you can't get everything there, and for me the ability to go to one place once a fortnight and come home with everything you need within an hour is worth forking out a bit more for.
    I’m now Occado all the way.
    I forget fewer items when I go in person for some reason. We tried online shopping but never really took to it.
    I wonder how many people have to mentally walk around their local Saunsburys when doing the online shopping, just so as not to forget things?
    What I do when I go to the shops - Waitrose usually - is I do a "control total" in my head before I set off for what I plan to buy. So for example, and it's today's real one, if I'm getting pork chops, fishcakes, chicken breasts, round beans, broccoli, apples, bananas, hula hoops, bread, and milk - that's TEN. My control total is 10. Then as I walk towards the checkout I look into my basket and count the items. Did that today and there were just 9 items there. Tells me I'm missing one thing. The bread in this case. So I flipped around, went back to the bread section and got it - Hovis Granary Original just for completeness of everyone's mental picture - then back to the till and closed the deal.
    That would never work for me. I go in with a list of about 10 items and come out with about 15, not always including everything on the original list. You sound way too organised.
    In my local Lidl you can go in with that list of 10 things, come out with 150 things, get change out of a 10 bob note and meet all the Waitrose crowd wearing false beards and dark glasses.

One of the reasons Lidl is so cheap is that there are usually quite a few things on the list not in stock. In the past that has included such exotics as Marmite, sardines and shortbread biscuits.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

I agree with Mike. I think it will go 1-1 with Jon Ossoff winning his battle against David Perdue. That's not simply because I'm on at 2-1 twice over with Betfair Sportsbook but because I think he has the best chance. David Perdue has run away scared from another mauling tv debate: https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/perdue-ossoff-runoff-debate/

In the other battle, Raphael Warnock is quite a controversial figure. He may rouse the black vote but will he put off white suburban Americans? My guess is, 'yes' and I favour Kelly Loeffler to win it.

The Democrats have a long, poor, history in runoffs: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/16/democrats-hopeful-senate-georgia-runoff-436727

The unknown factor here is the way the GOP are ripping into themselves, thanks to Trump's incendiary and volatile nature.

It's also worth bearing in mind that Stacey Adams is a formidable ground operator and the Democrats have momentum in the state.

You are aware the democrats are in a civil war ripping into themselves and GOP aren’t?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    For Trump it's all about personal loyalty to him. The idea people might have higher loyalty to the state or to providing integrity in service is bonkers.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

The main challenge as I see it is how you charge them. For example, I live in a second floor flat, so where would I plug it in?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

I agree with Mike. I think it will go 1-1 with Jon Ossoff winning his battle against David Perdue. That's not simply because I'm on at 2-1 twice over with Betfair Sportsbook but because I think he has the best chance. David Perdue has run away scared from another mauling tv debate: https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/perdue-ossoff-runoff-debate/

In the other battle, Raphael Warnock is quite a controversial figure. He may rouse the black vote but will he put off white suburban Americans? My guess is, 'yes' and I favour Kelly Loeffler to win it.

The Democrats have a long, poor, history in runoffs: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/16/democrats-hopeful-senate-georgia-runoff-436727

The unknown factor here is the way the GOP are ripping into themselves, thanks to Trump's incendiary and volatile nature.

It's also worth bearing in mind that Stacey Adams is a formidable ground operator and the Democrats have momentum in the state.

You are aware the democrats are in a civil war ripping into themselves and GOP aren’t?
    Dream on!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Those early electric cars suck - yes. Because they had tiny batteries. And in an attempt to use a tiny battery, tiny motors etc etc.

Test drive a Tesla. Different universe. A few minutes to put a 100 miles of range on it, you can run the AC/heating at full blast all day without noticing much effect, performance off the line is demented etc...

The whole point of Tesla (and the manufacturers now following in their wake) was to do away with the problems of the econo-shitbox style of electric cars.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

How old an electric model is that?

Early adopters of technologies do tend to not get the best versions of them as the technology is still nascent. Getting an electric car that runs all the auxiliaries is already easily doable and the technology is improving year on year.

If you have a long distance at full charge and can recharge hundreds of miles in 20 minutes then that will be perfect for most people as eg if driving a long distance then it'd be normal to take eg 20 minute breaks every few hours anyway for toilet/coffee/refreshment purposes anyway.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

You rate Corbyn over Starmer as Labour leader?
    Take off all your tinted glasses and The problem for labour is kind of obvious now. Initially Starmer was a fresh change after hollowed out Corbyn. But Starmer doesn’t have charisma nor has a very good team around him, so PMQs are poor - no zingers, nothing for evening news to use. Getting good sound bite on news ironically Corbyn did manage more successfully than Starmer.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Not Matt's finest hour.

Tesla LR has an EPA range of 402 miles, IIRC.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,567

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

The main challenge as I see it is how you charge them. For example, I live in a second floor flat, so where would I plug it in?
    Also, what happens if you run out of oomph out in the sticks? Can't hike to a garage for a can of electrons.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,184

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Early adopters of technologies do tend to not get the best versions of them as the technology is still nascent. Getting an electric car that runs all the auxiliaries is already easily doable and the technology is improving year on year.

If you have a long distance at full charge and can recharge hundreds of miles in 20 minutes then that will be perfect for most people as eg if driving a long distance then it'd be normal to take eg 20 minute breaks every few hours anyway for toilet/coffee/refreshment purposes anyway.
    I would imagine that a typical journey is around 1.5-2.5 hrs. Having to build in stopping at Membury Services (and queue) to recharge might be a huge embuggerance.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Indeed. Didn't we discuss this on here some time ago? Someone with some time on their hands and spreadsheet literate should work out how many charging points we would need and where.

@Philip_Thompson - talking to you here really.

:smile:
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Dream on!
    No. You dream on 😄

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2020/Pres/Maps/Nov17.html#item-4
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roger said:

Well done Keir Starmer.

Mid-term.

Prime Minister Ed Miliband waves.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Those early electric cars suck - yes. Because they had tiny batteries. And in an attempt to use a tiny battery, tiny motors etc etc.

Test drive a Tesla. Different universe. A few minutes to put a 100 miles of range on it, you can run the AC/heating at full blast all day without noticing much effect, performance off the line is demented etc...

The whole point of Tesla (and the manufacturers now following in their wake) was to do away with the problems of the econo-shitbox style of electric cars.
    Although... as a famous engineer once* said "ye canna break the laws of physics".

Heating is power hungry. In an ICE heat is an unwelcome by-product, so the added cost of heating is nowt. In an electric car... not so much.

(*Ok: 'often said')
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Recent, I assume. Bought new in the last year.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

I would imagine that a typical journey is around 1.5-2.5 hrs. Having to build in stopping at Membury Services (and queue) to recharge might be a huge embuggerance.
    2.5 hours should be doable without recharging if you have a modern vehicle and can set off fully charged.

The bigger issue for me is for people who don't have off-road parking. That needs a better solution than long-distance driving does.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

And the "saving forty minutes" is only if you don't count the time taken to drive to a petrol station, park up, and refuel.
    99% of the time, I recharge simply by plugging it in at home. And letting the timer kick in during the 5p/kWh time overnight.

Going electric has saved so much time previously spent refuelling.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

A relative has one - he really, really doesn't like the gull wing doors.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

There are clearly some unhappy democrats, but you have GOP senators calling for the resignation of a GOP Secretary of State,. In their state. how is the latter not a civil war?
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    edited November 2020

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roger said:

Well done Keir Starmer.

Mid-term.

Is it mid term after less than a year? Dunno, but all I know is that when 38-42% of people asked say they're would vote for a party, that party is electable.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

Meanwhile, the true believers over at lockdownsceptics believe that:

- False positives have spiked for some unknown reason, spreading almost like a virus
    - People are turning up at hospital with false positivity about ten days delayed from the spread of false positives
    - People are dying about twenty days after the increased spread in false positives, with the rate of dying continuing to climb and now very visible in excess deaths
    - People diagnosed with these false positives are dying within 28 days at a rate far, far faster than the normal rate of death (if they were dying just at the "normal" rate for someone picked at random dying within 28 days, the population of the UK would halve in a year)

And, with that amazing series of coincidences, it's actually happening around the world! Almost as if there's a pandemic of a real virus.

It's happening in Austria as well.
    In Belgium.
    In Croatia.
    In the Czech Republic (my God, is it happening in the Czech Republic!).
    In France.
    In Hungary.
    In Ireland.
    In Italy.
    In the Netherlands, except they seem to have got the false positives under control by pretending they're real and reacting as if they're real.
    In Poland.
    In Portugal.
    In Spain.
    In Slovakia (although they've brought it down by really pretending hard that it's real and testing their entire population and isolating all the false positives and for some reason this has prevented the false positives from spreading)
    In Sweden.

Over the the US, in Wisconsin, South Dakota, North Dakota, Georgia... all over the place.

And that's just Europe and the US. My God, how amazingly coincidental it's all been with these false positives magically happening like this?

Any idea why it is happening in the Czech Rep but not Slovakia?
    Slovakia are about to enter their 3rd round of mass country wide testing and isolation.
    (FPT)
    https://twitter.com/DanLarremore/status/1328487321180590080
    And the positivity of the test results dropped by over a third between tests (Toby asks: "Or is it thirty-fold?"). Almost as if they were true positives rather than the false positives so many keep assuring us they all are.
    Toby is clearly capable of believing as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
    And makes the effort regularly to practice.
    Though I believe that we have been assured that mass testing of that sort is unethical, unwanted, unneeded etc.
    If you're talking about the BMJ opinion piece, it was almost as stupid as the government nonsense about their moonshot program, on which it purported to pass judgment.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

2.5 hours should be doable without recharging if you have a modern vehicle and can set off fully charged.

The bigger issue for me is for people who don't have off-road parking. That needs a better solution than long-distance driving does.
    To use the C-word analogy. Just as testing was and is key to addressing the virus, so charging points are likewise vital to this working. If it is as routine as filling up with petrol to charge your car there will be far higher takeup.

To torture our scenario further - if you can drive 2.5 hours with no charge then what do you do once you've arrived and/or have to go back again? Or there is a traffic jam/diversion/accident/etc?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Indeed. Didn't we discuss this on here some time ago? Someone with some time on their hands and spreadsheet literate should work out how many charging points we would need and where.

@Philip_Thompson - talking to you here really.

:smile:
    LOL. I wouldn't know where to start, people without off-road parking (and that includes myself) will need a reliable method of charging and how that is to be achieved is my biggest concern.

Increasingly charging points are available, my local pub even has some in its car park (shared with a supermarket to be fair but I only go for the pub). But once more people have electric vehicles getting a balance right is going to be interesting - as well as the cost of charging. People who need to charge at public charging points no doubt will be paying much more than those who can charge at home which eats into the supposed savings for electric over ICE.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

You need a plug with a long lead.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

And the "saving forty minutes" is only if you don't count the time taken to drive to a petrol station, park up, and refuel.
    99% of the time, I recharge simply by plugging it in at home. And letting the timer kick in during the 5p/kWh time overnight.

You are generally in and out of a petrol station (if you can avoid spending time picking some chocolate mini-bites at the shop) in around 5 mins.

But as has been said, it should be designed those who live in Trellick Tower, etc.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roger said:

Well done Keir Starmer.

Mid-term.

It is mid term after less than a year? Dunno, but all I know is that when 38-42% of people asked say they're would vote for a party, that party is electable.
    Yes, but that's hardly a revelation. Corbyn was close to being elected so was electable. Miliband got big leads so was clearly electable. Starmer has smaller leaders but its earlier so is also electable.
  • Options

You're right.
    And had Trump won another term, such conspiracies might well have become illegal..
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Do they malfunction? Or is it just that they're gimmicky? I can imagine being a bit embarrassed opening them in the supermarket car park. They have a bit of a mid life crisis vibe about them.
    I'd like to get an electric car for the ULEZ and like having a 7 seat car right now. But I also can't imagine paying that much for a car (crazy expensive even 2nd hand). Also electric cars are presumably going to get cheaper. So maybe best to go for one more ICE car.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Not free, no, given the law of conservation of energy. If you run all your electrical ancillaries, then your dynamo has to do more work and so your mileage is reduced.

However, the difference is less noticeable with an ICE because so much more of a proportion of the energy in the fuel is lost as heat during its conversion to kinetic energy. EVs, on the other hand, have much more efficient motors, and so the loss of energy to the ancillaries is more significant. Also, if waste heat from the engine of an ICE is used to heat the vehicle, that is effectively free.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,127
    I'm always pleased to see an electric car on my daily walk. Stationary is fine but moving is much better. These days I make a beeline for the local NHS hospital grounds where I can see a whole gaggle of them lined up and plugged into the charging points.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

To use the C-word analogy. Just as testing was and is key to addressing the virus, so charging points are likewise vital to this working. If it is as routine as filling up with petrol to charge your car there will be far higher takeup.

To torture our scenario further - if you can drive 2.5 hours with no charge then what do you do once you've arrived and/or have to go back again? Or there is a traffic jam/diversion/accident/etc?
    Those future traffic jams that end up having a 100+ cars needing to be towed away because they kept too many electrical things going on a cold, dark night are going to be fun.....
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    gealbhan said:

I know some sections of the US media are trying to spin "some prominent Democrats pointing out that while we won the White House, we expected to do a lot better across the board than we did: we need to figure out why and do something about it" equals "civil war" but really, it isn't.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roger said:

Well done Keir Starmer.

Mid-term.

It is mid term after less than a year? Dunno, but all I know is that when 38-42% of people asked say they're would vote for a party, that party is electable.
    Yes, but that's hardly a revelation. Corbyn was close to being elected so was electable. Miliband got big leads so was clearly electable. Starmer has smaller leaders but its earlier so is also electable.
    Yes, exactly. Electable doesn't mean guaranteed to be elected. Pretty foolish for anyone to write off Labour as unelectable at this point in time.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Take off all your tinted glasses and The problem for labour is kind of obvious now. Initially Starmer was a fresh change after hollowed out Corbyn. But Starmer doesn’t have charisma nor has a very good team around him, so PMQs are poor - no zingers, nothing for evening news to use. Getting good sound bite on news ironically Corbyn did manage more successfully than Starmer.
    I agree that Corbyn's big problem as a leader wasn't his performance in the House. It was his lack of intellect on policy and his inability to make decisions or handle confrontation.

Starmer is much better on all of that. Charisma? He has enough, I think. And his team will improve with experience and exposure.

Long way to go but right now I'm not seeing the Cons winning the 24 election.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    All this talk of Corbyn is such a waste of energy. Even when he was elected leader he only had a tiny number of MP's supporting him. Three quarters of the parliamentary party voted against him in an attempted coup for heavens sake!.

The Labour Party have always had a Corbyn type lunatic fringe and they always will. The sooner he and they are ignored the sooner labour have a chance of taking over from the even more vile Boris johnson.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Those future traffic jams that end up having a 100+ cars needing to be towed away because they kept too many electrical things going on a cold, dark night are going to be fun.....
    You should talk to people who own electric cars in Finland, Northern Canada etc. No longer an issue.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

If there's traffic/diversion/accident etc or once you've arrived after your journey you'll need to be able to recharge locally at your destination somewhere, just as someone who lives without off-road parking at your destination will need to be able to do so.

All paths to this being universal to me come back to a solution for those without off-road parking rather long distancing. Its easy enough for someone who lives in a detached home with a driveway and a £30,000 vehicle to be able to plug it in, count the savings and adopt to this . . . but for someone who lives in a flat, with no driveway, a £3,000 second hand vehicle that they're going to rely upon public access charging points that have a price premium attached to them its going to be a different matter.

An irony is this switchover is likely to hit poorer drivers harder than richer drivers, but that rarely gets mentioned probably because climate change is more a concern for the richer first world people who don't need to count every penny.
  • Options
    Roger said:

considerably more vile Boris johnson.

That's like saying cancer is worse than AIDS.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Do they malfunction? Or is it just that they're gimmicky? I can imagine being a bit embarrassed opening them in the supermarket car park. They have a bit of a mid life crisis vibe about them.
    I'd like to get an electric car for the ULEZ and like having a 7 seat car right now. But I also can't imagine paying that much for a car (crazy expensive even 2nd hand). Also electric cars are presumably going to get cheaper. So maybe best to go for one more ICE car.
    They are cranky, need quite bit of adjusting and aren't especially child friendly. All round Not A Good Feature.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roger said:

Well done Keir Starmer.

Mid-term.

Is it mid term after less than a year? Dunno, but all I know is that when 38-42% of people asked say they're would vote for a party, that party is electable.
    Somebody will doubtless put me right, but I'm sure Miliband had healthy leads after a year, going up to 20% at that variable "mid-term" point.

Did him no good.

Starmer is a similar charisma-free zone to Ed.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,367
    edited November 2020
    felix said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

The same way you manage without a petrol station in your flat?

All it needs is faster and convenient charge points for the minority who do not have offstreet parking.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

That's a keeper.

Suspect this post won't age well :)
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Not free, no, given the law of conservation of energy. If you run all your electrical ancillaries, then your dynamo has to do more work and so your mileage is reduced.

However, the difference is less noticeable with an ICE because so much more of a proportion of the energy in the fuel is lost as heat during its conversion to kinetic energy. EVs, on the other hand, have much more efficient motors, and so the loss of energy to the ancillaries is more significant. Also, if waste heat from the engine of an ICE is used to heat the vehicle, that is effectively free.
    Except that as the batteries get larger and large in terms of KWhs stored, the issue fades away.

Having a 1Kw heater running in the car is a lot if you have 10KHh battery

If you have 100KWh, not so much.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    Well, of course. Flights are not devolved.
    We have to ask our colonial masters if we are allowed to cancel flights. Shows what a shitshow the supposed union is , as we all know it is no union of any sort , just colonial oppression.
    It's obviously our fault if we do X and the London regime won't do the necessarily and complementary Y even when it is sensible. But it's certainly been interesting to see what happened when they tried that on the Northerners [sic] over furlough payments. The Graun had a piece yesterday on the reaction to Mr Johnson's considered comments on the benefits of the devolution settlements, and they actually included the North of England as one constituency of reaction to the comments - i.e. not just us, Wales and NI.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/17/a-disaster-boris-johnson-adds-devolution-problems
    They are getting round to idea of regional England for after our departure
  • Options
    kle4 said:

gealbhan said:

There are clearly some unhappy democrats, but you have GOP senators calling for the resignation of a GOP Secretary of State,. In their state. how is the latter not a civil war?
    You are throwing a few examples that are against the trend. Overall the Dems are having the inquest into their failure and it’s often aggressive and potty mouthed, overall the GOP are quiet in the circumstances, rallying around Georgia candidates who are running a solid digital campaign. Sensible really, because how electable do Dems look now in a state of civil war, whilst if there is to be GOP move against Trump, it hasn’t started. Let me put it like this, you can trust cowboys to appreciate, if you are going to draw on someone it’s at the moment you have to go through with it.

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

When people say electric is cheaper this is a bit of an issue. For you at home 5p/kWh is a great rate certainly.

For someone who needs to drive to a public recharging station and pay potentially 16p/kWh the savings for being electric aren't going to be so great.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Er, on the street? Charging points coming to streets near you in the next ten years!!
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Time to hammer old bangers and polluters
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

gealbhan said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I agree that Corbyn's big problem as a leader wasn't his performance in the House. It was his lack of intellect on policy and his inability to make decisions or handle confrontation.

Starmer is much better on all of that. Charisma? He has enough, I think. And his team will improve with experience and exposure.

Big mistake IMO to equate relief that Starmer has replaced Corbyn with any sort of ringing endorsement for Starmer.
  • Options
    MattW said:

felix said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

All it needs is faster and convenient charge points for the minority who do not have offstreet parking.
    Any idea what proportion of people don't have offstreet parking?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    Well, of course. Flights are not devolved.
    We have to ask our colonial masters if we are allowed to cancel flights. Shows what a shitshow the supposed union is , as we all know it is no union of any sort , just colonial oppression.
    You seem to think in a union there would be no restrictions on individual parts at all. That will probably surprise members of other unions who do have union wide rules on things, to a greater or lesser degree.
    I think we should be making our own decisions on flights , having to beg London for permission is a bloody disgrace. A one way decision making is not a union , we are a colony held captive by the last of the colonial Empires.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Spot on.

Look at the rate of grid power demand over 24 hour and weekly periods.
    The is plenty of capacity if it can be drawn on at the right times.

Smart meters, pricing incentives, and a fair lump of additional storage ought to deal with it quite easily.

And we've the best part of a decade to slowly get the systems in place.

• Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roger said:

Well done Keir Starmer.

Mid-term.

Somebody will doubtless put me right, but I'm sure Miliband had healthy leads after a year, going up to 20% at that variable "mid-term" point.

Did him no good.

I just flipped a coin five times. It came up HTTHH. Tails was looking more popular "mid term", but ultimately wasn't electable and didn't have any charisma.
    I've just flipped a new coin three time, and it came up THT. Tails still has no charisma, and is still unelectable.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Also, what happens if you run out of oomph out in the sticks? Can't hike to a garage for a can of electrons.
    Well then you must be as dumb as running out of fuel in an ICE car. I mean my Q7 starts screaming blue murder at me when I get within 80 miles of empty, and insists it wants to nav me to the nearest petrol station asap.

You really would have to be an idiot to allow your car to run out of juice.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2020
    algarkirk said:

The Guardian is always so sure about its virtuous moral ground about everything. Has anyone any idea where it plans to stand in the Jezza v SKS (ie social democrat v marxist/loony) war that looks about to break out? Can it stand anywhere without offending almost exactly half its readers? Appearances suggest that there is no middle ground.

The Guardian weren't mega fans of Jezza. Remember the Vice documentary where Jezza got in a right hump claiming they were actively working against him.

Starmer is much more up their alley.

As for Jezza fans, not sure they take the Guardian. Too busy reading the fake news sites likes the Canary, Squawkbox and Novara media. Like Trump hardcore, think Fox News has been working against Don and so watch Newsmax and OANN.
  • Options

MattW said:

felix said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Any idea what proportion of people don't have offstreet parking?
    Here, where I live in London, there is a program of adding charging points to parking bays.

Apparently, the usage is monitored. When they start to get well used in an area, they add more....
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Not Matt's finest hour.

Tesla LR has an EPA range of 402 miles, IIRC.

Just googled the new Model S – you are right I suspect – it's 405 miles.

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/models
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,567

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Well then you must be as dumb as running out of fuel in an ICE car. I mean my Q7 starts screaming blue murder at me when I get within 80 miles of empty, and insists it wants to nav me to the nearest petrol station asap.

Oh, normally you wouldn't let it happen, but it could happen - in a power cut, for instance, if you had to make a journey in a crisis. I'm just wondering what happens in those cases.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,146
    Vaguely off topic - but contains a riddle which I’m sure you brainboxes will easily be able to solve - without Googling, mind!

https://barry-walsh.co.uk/worthwhile-work/
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

You just lob your extension lead out the lounge window, plug car in and voila!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

If there's traffic/diversion/accident etc or once you've arrived after your journey you'll need to be able to recharge locally at your destination somewhere, just as someone who lives without off-road parking at your destination will need to be able to do so.

All paths to this being universal to me come back to a solution for those without off-road parking rather long distancing. Its easy enough for someone who lives in a detached home with a driveway and a £30,000 vehicle to be able to plug it in, count the savings and adopt to this . . . but for someone who lives in a flat, with no driveway, a £3,000 second hand vehicle that they're going to rely upon public access charging points that have a price premium attached to them its going to be a different matter.

An irony is this switchover is likely to hit poorer drivers harder than richer drivers, but that rarely gets mentioned probably because climate change is more a concern for the richer first world people who don't need to count every penny.
    Don't disagree at all.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Recent, I assume. Bought new in the last year.
    Either it's a shit EV or she is being needlessly anxious about it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,999
    The Daily Mail has a story about financial service jobs moving to the continent after Brexit, and the comments are full of comparisons to Hitler... Deal or No Deal, there will be a lot of angry Brexiteers in a few weeks' time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8961565/EU-demands-banks-jobs-City-continent-want-business-Brexit.html
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    kinabalu said:

gealbhan said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

No. Ooohhhhhh no.

It wasn’t Corbyn driving policy, like having Palestinian flags all around conference hall, and bemused why election hopes weighted down with anti semitism, nor that Labour policy’s electable in one must have constituency cost them victory in other must have constituency’s. no. It was the party what made Corbyn.

If coalition is also more diverse, culturally and ideologically, the result is that different elected members need to occupy very different places on the political spectrum and on issues. What one would campaign on in one constituency would be suicide campaign in another must win constituency. You can’t speak as one in broad coalition.

Whereas conservative minded voters tend to coalesce around a couple of key issues you can campaign on and win anywhere.

Boris won on a Corbyn would be a disaster and look at my oven ready brexit, whilst Labour was in death spiral initiated by its pro Palestinian stance.

The worlds changed. It’s moved against Labour, just like it’s just moved against Dems in US. But their brains haven’t caught up yet.

Someone wants to boast about having half a million members, yet the entry fee to enter the broad tent is to embrace political correctness - in other words criticise voters for not being thoughtful enough, for not being conscientious enough, not being "woke" enough.

Their platform is join us, we are enlightened, we will save you from being an ignorant, racist, yokel in need of cultural guidance.

For all his faults, Boris doesn't talk down to or demean voters the way Labour has been doing. I don’t just mean Corbyn, Look at how Starmer tweets have been analyzed

Until Labour realises what they have become, and how unelectable it is, they go on losing digital, social media elections.

This is the kicker, as Boris would say, look how I describe Labour, it’s Labour who ensures there is a bigger coalition who will believe any old crap about them come election time. They create this majority against them themselves, by the personality they have become.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

When people say electric is cheaper this is a bit of an issue. For you at home 5p/kWh is a great rate certainly.

For someone who needs to drive to a public recharging station and pay potentially 16p/kWh the savings for being electric aren't going to be so great.
    You can also bet they will start taxing them like crazy once we are over the tipping point
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Oh, normally you wouldn't let it happen, but it could happen - in a power cut, for instance, if you had to make a journey in a crisis. I'm just wondering what happens in those cases.
    The fast chargers that will replace petrol stations are already moving to having local battery storage, so that they can deliver massive amounts of power in a short time, and time shift the power they use. So, in the future, in a power cut, the place with the lights on will be the charging stations....

The current generation of electric cars can charge at a staggering rate when mostly "empty" - a Tesla LR can "load" 75 miles in 5 minutes. The next generation will do better.
  • Options
    Are they going to replace buses with electric versions?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

My diesel Q5 does about 550 - 600 miles to a tank so 10 mins every other month ( or four months at present ) filling up is not much of a chore.
  • Options

Are they going to replace buses with electric versions?

TfL is running 300 odd electric buses now, IIRC
  • Options

kinabalu said:

gealbhan said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Big mistake IMO to equate relief that Starmer has replaced Corbyn with any sort of ringing endorsement for Starmer.
    I agree that atm it's more 'deduct negative' than 'add positive'. But mathematically these two things are exactly the same. And continuing the algebra theme -

Con 19 Win = +80 = "Boris" + Brexit + Corbyn.

24 result = No Brexit + No Corbyn + No "Boris" (if still there he will be old hat Johnson).

So assuming the 3 factors = 50 each, the 24 result = +80 - 150 which = -70.

Labour govt. QED.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Vaguely off topic - but contains a riddle which I’m sure you brainboxes will easily be able to solve - without Googling, mind!

https://barry-walsh.co.uk/worthwhile-work/

Got the author despite never having finished the book. :smile:
    The style is characteristic.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roger said:

Well done Keir Starmer.

Mid-term.

Did him no good.

Ed problem wasn't lack of charisma it was that he didn't appear to have leadership qualities or be particularly sound unlike his more 'together' brother. If charisma was the important ingredient only Blair and Cameron would have won in the last 50 years. Certainly neither Thatcher nor Major.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Nigelb said:

You're right.
    And had Trump won another term, such conspiracies might well have become illegal..
    Courts stacked with QAnon judges. Anyone who voted GOP/Trump for smaller Government and fiscal sanity (The normal centre right argument) was beyond deluded this election
This discussion has been closed.