Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In other news – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877

Could the 2021 Locals be an all postal ballot affair?

We're 6 months away - I'm sure planning for such a contingency exists but I'm hopeful we will be in a better place then than we are now.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

isam said:

Brexit was a kick up the arse for those who had been at the top for the last 20 years or so - continuity Blair. They needed to know people didn't necessarily agree with them, but there was no choice - LibLabCon as they used to say - three cheeks of the same arse under Cam, EdM and Clegg.

You mean the people who presided over our political marginalisation within Europe?
    Those who thought it a good idea to import cheap labour to the benefit of the rich at the expense of the poor
    Migrants are people who choose to move, not objects that are imported.
    I'm sure that those who were funnelled into the bottom end jobs on arriving here and then discarded like used Kleenex when they had the temerity to learn enough English to ask for a pay rise, will appreciate the difference.
    Not sure of the point of your post. Sounds like you're angry at something, but I'm not even sure what.
    The point is that immigration is being used to abuse the immigrants as well. As well as suppressing wages.

Call me an old fashioned neon-fascist-capitalist-imperlialist-ensalver-of-the-oppressed, but a reasonable response to shortage of labour at price x could suggest that x is a bit on the low side...

We should be automating low paid jobs out of existence, not turning humans into low price automation. Progress, I think they call it.

Due to the comparative advantage of moving to low cost locations (China etc) being eroded by the disgusting behaviour of the workers*, simply dumping your manufacturing abroad is no longer automatically super profitable.

The socio-legal-political environment has a major effect on productivity. NHS, Schools, reliable legal system etc etc.
    So while it is still cheaper per worker, the actual productivity per worker for skilled work is remarkably constant, around the world.

So how to cheat on this?

Well, if you employee people for x times more than they would have earned in their home country - sounds awesome. Since they don't speak the language, they won't know their rights. Yet. A year or 2 down the line, their is a risk they will learn some English and realise how shit the deal they are getting is.... But, hey, there are always more suckers.....

*Asking for a getting pay rises, working conditions that include actual health and safety etc.
    Are the neon-fascists as bad as the krypton-communists?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways.
  • Options
    Hmmm, what's happened with isam?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Liverpool are going to win the Man City match 6-5 or lose it 9 nil.

Klopp's playing all four of the fab four, Firmino, Salah, Mane, and Jota.

Thanks for the tip. I just popped £2 on a 0-0 draw ;)
    that made me lol
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited November 2020

Foxy said:

RobD said:

The number of patients in Welsh hospitals with coronavirus is now the highest since the height of the pandemic in April.

Latest NHS Wales figures show 1,344 people are being treated in hospital for Covid-19 while 54 of the 163 critical care patients have the virus - with the intensive care occupancy rate beyond Wales' usual 152-bed capacity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54855015

But its ok, Drakeford is going to let people gather in groups of upto 15 indoors and 30 outdoors in a few days.

No rule of 6?
    He is allowing "organized activities" to have these many people. Also, I believe you can go and meet up with people in the pub. I think upto 4 others from different households.
    Sounds civilised. That's pretty much Tier 1 isn't it?
    It isn't...but still even if it was, they are jumping straight from "lockdown" to lowest tier across the whole of the country, despite having a number of areas that are in the top 10 in the UK for COVID.
    The whole policy in Wales has been nonsensical. I can't believe any of their scientific advisers were saying that a strict (not actually a) "lockdown" would be sufficient to bring down infection rates to a reasonable level in their hardest hit areas within two weeks. And the effect on the least hit areas will have been pretty insignificant as the levels weren't that high anyway. So potentially a bit of a benefit for some areas in the middle. But not likely to be very long lasting.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

isam said:

Brexit was a kick up the arse for those who had been at the top for the last 20 years or so - continuity Blair. They needed to know people didn't necessarily agree with them, but there was no choice - LibLabCon as they used to say - three cheeks of the same arse under Cam, EdM and Clegg.

You mean the people who presided over our political marginalisation within Europe?
    Those who thought it a good idea to import cheap labour to the benefit of the rich at the expense of the poor
    I'm sure that those who were funnelled into the bottom end jobs on arriving here and then discarded like used Kleenex when they had the temerity to learn enough English to ask for a pay rise, will appreciate the difference.
    Not sure of the point of your post. Sounds like you're angry at something, but I'm not even sure what.
    The point is that immigration is being used to abuse the immigrants as well. As well as suppressing wages.

Call me an old fashioned neon-fascist-capitalist-imperlialist-ensalver-of-the-oppressed, but a reasonable response to shortage of labour at price x could suggest that x is a bit on the low side...

We should be automating low paid jobs out of existence, not turning humans into low price automation. Progress, I think they call it.

Due to the comparative advantage of moving to low cost locations (China etc) being eroded by the disgusting behaviour of the workers*, simply dumping your manufacturing abroad is no longer automatically super profitable.

The socio-legal-political environment has a major effect on productivity. NHS, Schools, reliable legal system etc etc.
    So while it is still cheaper per worker, the actual productivity per worker for skilled work is remarkably constant, around the world.

So how to cheat on this?

Well, if you employee people for x times more than they would have earned in their home country - sounds awesome. Since they don't speak the language, they won't know their rights. Yet. A year or 2 down the line, their is a risk they will learn some English and realise how shit the deal they are getting is.... But, hey, there are always more suckers.....

*Asking for a getting pay rises, working conditions that include actual health and safety etc.
    A Noble pun.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    dixiedean said:

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1324802407562358785

Another one to add to the crazies list and to ignore when they ever their articles get posted again.

To be added?
    It will be interesting to see how many of the "fearless contrarians" will go down this path.
    If Trump has proof of fraud, he should provide it. If he hasn't, he shouldn't shout about it;

If he wants a legal recount, and he is within the margins, that is his right;

If there are further examples of software glitches that have caused miscounted votes, they should be investigated properly;

If there are postal votes in the system that should have been counted according to the law, they should be counted.

If courts direct boards of elections to follow orders, they should do it;
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,510
    Foxy said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

isam said:

So how to cheat on this?

A Noble pun.
    Much worse. We Are Disco.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,868
    Foxy said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

isam said:

So how to cheat on this?

A Noble pun.
    A Rad one, indeed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131
    Scott_xP said:
    The Government always thought it was a good idea. That's why they gave the money to local authorities.

Local authorities on the other hand thought that they could spend it on something better. Having done so, they realised the kids would go hungry. So demanded the money AGAIN from central Governent.

Try telling us what local authorities thought was a better way of spending the kids' money....
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    edited November 2020

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

isam said:

So how to cheat on this?

Neon-fascists are xenonphobic, whereas krypton-communists are anti-money.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Scott_xP said:
    I think they now realise his protestations were a load of balls.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    They got what they wanted out of him. They're not bothered what he does now.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

The number of patients in Welsh hospitals with coronavirus is now the highest since the height of the pandemic in April.

Latest NHS Wales figures show 1,344 people are being treated in hospital for Covid-19 while 54 of the 163 critical care patients have the virus - with the intensive care occupancy rate beyond Wales' usual 152-bed capacity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54855015

But its ok, Drakeford is going to let people gather in groups of upto 15 indoors and 30 outdoors in a few days.

No rule of 6?
    He is allowing "organized activities" to have these many people. Also, I believe you can go and meet up with people in the pub. I think upto 4 others from different households.
    Sounds civilised. That's pretty much Tier 1 isn't it?
    It isn't...but still even if it was, they are jumping straight from "lockdown" to lowest tier across the whole of the country, despite having a number of areas that are in the top 10 in the UK for COVID.
    The whole policy in Wales has been nonsensical. I can't believe any of their scientific advisers were saying that a strict (not actually a) "lockdown" would be sufficient to bring down infection rates to a reasonable level in their hardest hit areas. And the effect on the least hit areas will have been pretty insignificant as the levels weren't that high anyway. So potentially a bit of a benefit for some areas in the middle. But not likely to be very long lasting.
    To be fair, some of the things they have done in Wales have been sensible e.g. limiting the distance you should travel from home. However, other are absolutely bonkers e.g. banning Tescos from selling oven gloves.

This exit from lockdown is 100% political, trying to claim firebreaker has definitely worked and look at us over in Wales able to live a much better life. There is no science behind jumping from lockdown to meeting up with your mates down the boozer the next day.

Sturgeon seems far more sensible about all of this. First to ban indoor mixing, first to have a lockdown, realised need to extend it a bit, still keeping things under consideration for a further lockdown, while having Tiering system in a place. I don't agree 100% with all of it, but there is at least some logic and consistency to it.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

isam said:

So how to cheat on this?

A Noble pun.
    I though the periodic table might be a bit Boron, even for a grey Sunday afternoon.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,752
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

My letter to CIWF is in draft. Palmer has hours to show some contrition for his glib ignorance of the misery to which his ideology condemned millions of lives during the previous century.

Blimey, what have I missed here?
    I have just emailed CIWF reaffirming my support for their commitment to relieving animal suffering but making it quite clear that I won’t support their charity while they employ someone who is so glib about the death, torture and misery that their ideology inflicted upon so many during the last century.

I’ll be writing to them in the morning terminating my annual donation and explaining precisely why, in the absence of some grown up contrition from our home grown “unapologetic” communist on this site.
    What an utterly pathetic and sad thing to do.
    So be it, I don’t care.

If someone popped up and declared themself an “unapologetic former Nazi”, how would you react?

Then consider the double standard.

Former communist, fair enough, we all make mistakes, particularly when young. “Unapologetic” puts you beyond the pale IMHO.
    Just think how the letter will come across.

"Miss, miss, he said he was an unapologetic former communist on this website I read".

Who gives a crap? I'm betting he does excellent work for the charity.

Perhaps. Like Tyndall and Casino before me, maybe I have over-reacted.
    Like the former, I will now give the site the miss the rest of the evening.

If I feel the same way tomorrow, I will follow up with a letter to the charity.

I have my own, strongly personal, reasons for reacting badly when someone pops up here to describe themselves as an unapologetic former communist. I don’t need you to understand; I am just grateful to have been born into a country where whatever I might happen to say and think doesn’t immediately condemn me to a miserable and considerably shorter life.
    I share your opinions about the former totalitarian communist regimes.

Calling effectively for someone not to be employed because of political views they once held does not, to my mind, confirm with those rightly held opinions in the slightest. Quite the opposite.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082
    edited November 2020

SNIP

Oh, Mark.

I admire your indefatigability...

Last man standing defending BoZo, although you remind me of these folks

https://twitter.com/anenews/status/1324559175985233921

Desperately praying that the man you wanted is not in fact the man you actually voted for.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131
    Scott_xP said:
    That "extra support" is over and above the money they have already given to local authorities for the purpose....
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

isam said:

So how to cheat on this?

Ok, I don't really find much objectionable in that. You've identified some key problems.
    There are several solutions that present themselves, probably the most effective being unions educating workers on their existing rights. This is the place where I think unions come into their own, which is why I'm a member of Prospect (chosen mainly cos it's politically neutral).
    If you simply use a supply of cheap labour to reduce pay/conditions, then union rights won't do much good.

The entire concept of unions relies on the idea that there is a limited supply of labour. Hence bargaining power.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    They got what they wanted out of him. They're not bothered what he does now.
    Given his ummm, colourful sex life they seemed less than bothered with who he did before either.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,299
    Charles said:

FPT

Stocky said:

https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/1325406005300170752

Beyond the pronouns, what is "woke" about this?

Woke is just a term used to be racist or sexist, or generally horrible that is still acceptable.

No, it really isn't although that's what its defenders (almost always) say in its defence.

Woke is a warped Marxist theory that's transmuted from academia into the real world and views everyone through a complex hierarchical and intersectional power dynamic where we are all classified by race, gender and sexuality and bracketed (and treated) as relative oppressors or victims accordingly. It uses this as a starting point to undercut some of the established values and historical foundations of our society in the hope that by breaking it down something better (Marxist utopia) that they believe will take its place. It cleverly condemns its opponents as racists and sexists to enforce its dogma and silence dissent. It's a big reason why they say "don't expect minorities to educate you on racism" - because they fear they wouldn't be on message; just look at how they attack those who are not - and instead say, please read my favoured best-selling culturally marxist book and 'educate yourself'.

Example: an unWoke person would be concerned that some Black people still experience some racial discrimination in the UK and would want to talk to them about it to understand it and change it. They wouldn't take a knee, tear down statues, or talk about White Privilege. They would emphasis the common-bonds they have of shared Britishness, they would demonstrate empathy they would talk about fairness, and they would talk about opening up opportunities for them and increasing role models. They would try harder to think about things from their point of view in future and bring everyone of all backgrounds, races and politics along with them. They wouldn't plaster what they're doing all over social media out of insecurity narcissism.

A Woke person would say either you buy into the whole lot, or you're suspect.. or worse.
    Great post CR.
    I don't think it's a particularly great post to be honest and seems to contradict a lot of what he says when he just mindlessly calls others woke.

I don't think anyone here fits into that view of "wokeness" - and I am about 99% sure if you asked the average person what woke means, they would not say that.

For me what being woke is used for is just today's politically correct, it's saying something you know is offensive but you feel like this gives you cover to say it without being challenged. You have an opinion, air it and we will debate it. End of story.
    Who's defending saying anything offensive?

I would challenge anyone who said something racist, but I won't go down on one knee, or label myself and others as having White Privilege.

That might get some initial attention, or make sense in an academic thesis, but, when translated into the real world, divides far more people than it unites.
    It's been said before that challenging the disgraceful comments Johnson has made about Islam, or Obama, makes you "woke" and "PC". I am not saying that's you, I am saying your definition is not shared by most/many, especially and including the MSM at large who people look to for their definition.
    I think that the problem is that Johnson is was journalist with a live of colourful phrases.

The comment about Muslim women in full burkas looting like “letterboxes” was in an article defending their right to do so.

But people have chosen to focus on his perceived insult to Muslim people rather than his defence of their rights.

And yet they idolise Macron who had banned the things.

Funny old world isn’t it when what people say matters more than what they do
    This - "saying" vs "doing" - is the false distinction typically rolled out to downplay the toxic real world impact of people like Donald Trump.

"I don't like what he says and how he says it sometimes but ..."

"He might come over as racist but black employment has gone up and that's far more important."

Nonsense, isn't it. Total nonsense. Strictly for the apologists. If I abuse somebody using only words have I not abused them?

Which is worse, clipping a child around the ear or destroying their confidence with a barrage of ridicule and putdowns?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    MrEd said:

kyf_100 said:

Another one to add to the crazies list and to ignore when they ever their articles get posted again.

And yet the FBPE crowd have spent the last four years telling us how Leave stole the referendum. And trying to tie the result up in the courts.

Let's not forget the huge crowd who have spent years telling us how Putin rigged the last election for Trump. Where was their respect for the democratic process?

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. There is precedent for not respecting election results and it doesn't come from the Trumpsters.

When you lose, you need to accept the loss gracefully. That goes for those on all sides of the political divide.

Well said.

I had an argument with Kamski about exactly this point yesterday who, for some reason, didn't want to discuss it. It's also being quietly forgotten that HRC would happily have gone to court to try and overturn the result to get herself "elected" and many of her advisers were suggesting she should.
    Remind me again, when did HRC conceed?

And Biden's margin is going to be much larger than Trump's.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

SNIP

Oh, Mark.

I admire your indefatigability...

Last man standing defending BoZo, although you remind me of these folks

https://twitter.com/anenews/status/1324559175985233921

Desperately praying that the man you wanted is not in fact the man you actually voted for.
    Their prayer has already been answered. The man who tried to rig the election has lost.
  • Options
    Biden margin +4k in PA to over 40,000. Trump needs 77.3% of outstanding votes, he's getting 23.8%

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html#
  • Options
    Have we ever had four different Premier League leaders in the same day before? Looks like we will today, if Liverpool can win..
  • Options

Have we ever had four different Premier League leaders in the same day before? Looks like we will today, if Liverpool can win..

😇

Definitely Stop the Count!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194

I literally just Googled that. I seem to remember a weekend in January 2014 when Arsenal won at Villa on the Monday night to go back to the top. They were the third team to top the league that weekend, and that was the first time since 1992-93 (Man Utd, Aston Villa and Norwich) that there had been three different leaders I think in a weekend after Christmas.

Obviously this weekend is quite a bit earlier, but it's still good that it's close.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT

Stocky said:

https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/1325406005300170752

Beyond the pronouns, what is "woke" about this?

Woke is just a term used to be racist or sexist, or generally horrible that is still acceptable.

No, it really isn't although that's what its defenders (almost always) say in its defence.

Woke is a warped Marxist theory that's transmuted from academia into the real world and views everyone through a complex hierarchical and intersectional power dynamic where we are all classified by race, gender and sexuality and bracketed (and treated) as relative oppressors or victims accordingly. It uses this as a starting point to undercut some of the established values and historical foundations of our society in the hope that by breaking it down something better (Marxist utopia) that they believe will take its place. It cleverly condemns its opponents as racists and sexists to enforce its dogma and silence dissent. It's a big reason why they say "don't expect minorities to educate you on racism" - because they fear they wouldn't be on message; just look at how they attack those who are not - and instead say, please read my favoured best-selling culturally marxist book and 'educate yourself'.

Example: an unWoke person would be concerned that some Black people still experience some racial discrimination in the UK and would want to talk to them about it to understand it and change it. They wouldn't take a knee, tear down statues, or talk about White Privilege. They would emphasis the common-bonds they have of shared Britishness, they would demonstrate empathy they would talk about fairness, and they would talk about opening up opportunities for them and increasing role models. They would try harder to think about things from their point of view in future and bring everyone of all backgrounds, races and politics along with them. They wouldn't plaster what they're doing all over social media out of insecurity narcissism.

A Woke person would say either you buy into the whole lot, or you're suspect.. or worse.
    Great post CR.
    I don't think it's a particularly great post to be honest and seems to contradict a lot of what he says when he just mindlessly calls others woke.

I don't think anyone here fits into that view of "wokeness" - and I am about 99% sure if you asked the average person what woke means, they would not say that.

For me what being woke is used for is just today's politically correct, it's saying something you know is offensive but you feel like this gives you cover to say it without being challenged. You have an opinion, air it and we will debate it. End of story.
    Who's defending saying anything offensive?

I would challenge anyone who said something racist, but I won't go down on one knee, or label myself and others as having White Privilege.

That might get some initial attention, or make sense in an academic thesis, but, when translated into the real world, divides far more people than it unites.
    It's been said before that challenging the disgraceful comments Johnson has made about Islam, or Obama, makes you "woke" and "PC". I am not saying that's you, I am saying your definition is not shared by most/many, especially and including the MSM at large who people look to for their definition.
    I think that the problem is that Johnson is was journalist with a live of colourful phrases.

The comment about Muslim women in full burkas looting like “letterboxes” was in an article defending their right to do so.

But people have chosen to focus on his perceived insult to Muslim people rather than his defence of their rights.

And yet they idolise Macron who had banned the things.

Funny old world isn’t it when what people say matters more than what they do
    "Colourful phrases", I wonder if you'd use the same defence about a Labour MP, I bet not.
    Yes I would. You see I believe in freedom of speech
    He says racist things, I'll call them out.

Of course we could go over the other racist things he's said, like attacking Obama's heritage but it doesn't matter as the Democrats haven't forgotten.
    Still not a defence of your position just an attack on someone else. This is very revealing
    I believe calling out racist things that people have said is often said to be "woke" when in years gone by this would have "PC crowd gone mad".

Johnson can say what he wants but calling him out for racism is not "woke" or "PC", it's doing IMHO the right thing.

We clearly have different views of what racism is, you seem to think being racist is "using colourful phrases" whereas I think it's quite simply being racist, or saying racist things, of which Johnson has undoubtedly done.

Of course you're pretending to be somehow impartial when we know full well you're just as partisan as me.
  • Options

At some stage Dominic is going to have to sack Boris

He will only do that if he’s sure Gove is going to replace Johnson.

If it were Sunak or Hunt...Cummings would be out faster than you can say ‘eye test.’
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

isam said:

So how to cheat on this?

A Noble pun.
    I though the periodic table might be a bit Boron, even for a grey Sunday afternoon.
    I prefer heavy metal - a kilo (or a dozen) of the right atomic number can lightened the darkest day...
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I was just going to wonder why Leicester are still around 30 odd for the title on Betfair. I'm not saying they should be favourites but it seems a bit long.

Backed them with tiny sums at 131 pre-season.
  • Options
    The "anti-woke" lobby simply want to go back to a time when you could be racist or sexist and people wouldn't challenge you for it.

They conflate a tiny number of absolute nutters - oddly I never see them mention nutters on their own side - with the majority who couldn't give a toss whether you're gay or straight or black or white and simply want people to have equal rights.
  • Options
    20,572 new cases.
  • Options
    That's enough from me on this, this topic bores me to death.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

20,572 new cases.

Looks like it leveled off three weeks ago.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

😇

Definitely Stop the Count!
    Southampton FC (@SouthamptonFC) Tweeted: STOP THE COUNT https://t.co/rS94knWEhO

Saints twitter did that Friday night!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,989
    Premier League: Leicester, Spurs at the top - just another way in which it’s all 2016 redux.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    RobD said:

20,572 new cases.

Wait till Tuesday

Admissions are a lagging indicator of cases

Deaths are a lagging indicator of admissions

Therefore if you are correct admissions should be leveling off, deaths are going to still rise
  • Options
    RobD said:

20,572 new cases.

Weekend reporting effect, quite possibly.

Wait for Thursday - after Murder Tuesday and Wednesday....

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    ydoethur said:

If it were Sunak or Hunt...Cummings would be out faster than you can say ‘eye test.’
    Much as I admire Gove's intelligence a Gove Tory leadership would be a Keir Starmer wet dream, it has to be Sunak and Cummings knows that as do Tory MPs and members if Boris goes
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    "All the pollsters were (deliberately) wrong with the exception of the few accurate pollsters who predicted i would win. The fact that the actual published results were what they are proves that 1) the inaccurate pollsters were overstating Biden support to dishearten and suppress my vote and 2)the accurate pollsters were right except that they failed to accurately predict the massive voting fraud that happened"
  • Options

RobD said:

20,572 new cases.

Weekend reporting effect, quite possibly.

Wait for Thursday - after Murder Tuesday and Wednesday....

I was looking at the rolling averages on the dashboard.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Just as Trump is going to spend what's left of his life shouting "I WOZ ROBBED' at anyone who will listen, Dom is going to make another career out of writing
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    ydoethur said:

I read on the last thread you called the Welsh first minister a bastard.
    Was there any need for that on this site.
  • Options

RobD said:

20,572 new cases.

Wait till Tuesday

Therefore if you are correct admissions should be leveling off, deaths are going to still rise
    The admissions rolling average is showing the same plateauing, lagged by a week.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Premier League: Leicester, Spurs at the top - just another way in which it’s all 2016 redux.

The year when Spurs came third in a two horse race. That was the cherry on top 🎂
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Much as I admire Gove's intelligence a Gove Tory leadership would be a Keir Starmer wet dream, it has to be Sunak and Cummings knows that as do Tory MPs and members if Boris goes

It would also be Nippy's best outcome, but Cummings doesn't care about either of those
  • Options
    MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

To be added?
    It will be interesting to see how many of the "fearless contrarians" will go down this path.
    If Trump has proof of fraud, he should provide it. If he hasn't, he shouldn't shout about it;

If he wants a legal recount, and he is within the margins, that is his right;

If there are further examples of software glitches that have caused miscounted votes, they should be investigated properly;

If there are postal votes in the system that should have been counted according to the law, they should be counted.

If courts direct boards of elections to follow orders, they should do it;
    That's fair enough.

But it is worth remembering that:

(1) Recounts never change anything, either in the US or the UK.

(2) The only cases filed by the Republicans, as far as I can see, are about access, not about fraud.

(3) The margin of victory is simply not going to be that close, when push comes to shove. Even without the segregated postals in Pennsylvania, Biden is going to be 75,000 (or more than half a percent) ahead.

(4) Judges are going to be incredibly wary of overturning a result. At the very least, they would require overwhelming evidence of fraud. (Have they ever done so, in either the UK or the US?)

For Trump to win, he needs to see Arizona go his way (let's be generous and say that's a 50% chance), he needs Georgia to change by about 0.15% on a recount (let's be generous and say that's 5%, although 0.1% is probably more accurate), he needs the Supreme Court to overrule the Pennsylvania Board of Electors re late arriving ballots (80%), and he needs to find enough evidence of fraud in the State so overwhelming that it could flip a 75,000 vote lead (5% is incredibly generous).

50% * 5% * 80% * 5% is the chance of President Trump prevailing in the courts.

Each of the four bits is possible on their own, but these aren't related contingencies.

The other possibility is that Republican legislatures (and let's not forget that almost all these States have Republican legislatures) decide to send their own electors.

That way doesn't lead to a Trump victory. That leads to civil war. And I really don't see how that ends well for America.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

RobD said:

20,572 new cases.

Wait till Tuesday

Yes - this.

I recommend the following diagram - an image worth a thousand words

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cummings undoubtedly has his good points - think Mandelson or Campbell. These advisors are no political threat and are very good at delivering unpleasant truths unpleasantly, but delivering nonetheless.

If I was PM tomorrow and someone suggested the oily Mandelson for some great role I'd certainly listen.
    (Just threw in the 'oily' for effect, but it applies to him so well.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

What makes you think Cummings cares?

He is not interested in the Tory party. He’s done appalling damage to it by his lies, his incompetence and his arrogance. If a Gove leadership gives him three more years to push his agenda, that what he’ll be angling for.

Never mind that it’s an absolutely batshit crazy agenda that would make things far, far worse.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,657
    As someone who has been slowly making their way through a compilation of Marx's writings my two main takeaways are:

1. Most of it is tedious in the extreme; hundreds of pages to say that workers add more value than they get paid - well isn't that amazing.
    2. He offers no solutions. Throw over the oppressors, then what? Get back to work, do what you're told and we are in charge now.

How this can form the basis of an ideology, or a means to motivate the masses baffles me. You can see right through it.

As the great man said: What's the point in saying destroy? I want a new life for everywhere.

I guess that's why I'm a Democratic Socialist, rather than a raving Commie.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Did I?

I don’t recall mentioning him at all on that thread. Can you quote that for me?

He is, incidentally, but that’s another story.
  • Options

The "anti-woke" lobby simply want to go back to a time when you could be racist or sexist and people wouldn't challenge you for it.

They conflate a tiny number of absolute nutters - oddly I never see them mention nutters on their own side - with the majority who couldn't give a toss whether you're gay or straight or black or white and simply want people to have equal rights.

I wish that was the case but unfortunately the ideological engine of wokism" is not anti-racist in the terms that most of us would use. I'm broadly with Trevor Phillips on this. Ironically critical race theory results in racist practice.
  • Options
    That must be close to the first wave peak now? It was estimated as 100k a day in the UK.
  • Options
    France must worry the UK Government, they're not far ahead of us.

Lockdown to prevent that was sensible, it was just done too late.
  • Options
    I believe somebody coined a term for these kind of reports, I just can't quite remember what it was....
  • Options
    RobD said:

That must be close to the first wave peak now? It was estimated as 100k a day in the UK.
    Given the positivity numbers, the levels of testing etc, the real infection rate in France must now be in multiple 100Ks - maybe 300K?

The estimated real infection rate in the UK peaked at around 100K in the first peak - at least according to some educated guesstimates.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited November 2020
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

What makes you think Cummings cares?

He is not interested in the Tory party. He’s done appalling damage to it by his lies, his incompetence and his arrogance. If a Gove leadership gives him three more years to push his agenda, that what he’ll be angling for.

Never mind that it’s an absolutely batshit crazy agenda that would make things far, far worse.
    What makes you think all Tories care about Cummings? I am a Tory member and branch chairman and I certainly don't, if Boris goes then Cummings can sod off as far as I am concerned, Tory MPs will want to save their seats and Tory members like me will be looking to pick an electable alternative to Starmer ie Sunak, not to preserve the career and agenda of Dominic Cummings
  • Options

As someone who has been slowly making their way through a compilation of Marx's writings my two main takeaways are:

1. Most of it is tedious in the extreme; hundreds of pages to say that workers add more value than they get paid - well isn't that amazing.
    2. He offers no solutions. Throw over the oppressors, then what? Get back to work, do what you're told and we are in charge now.

How this can form the basis of an ideology, or a means to motivate the masses baffles me. You can see right through it.

As the great man said: What's the point in saying destroy? I want a new life for everywhere.

Thanks for the review, sounds like I can safely ignore Marx and read pb instead.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    RobD said:

I'm sure they're above first wave peak, given high positivity levels.

It is worth noting - sotto voce - but while the UK did very badly with the first wave, it appears to be doing much better (relative to peers) with the second.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100k population

• Options
    UK R

• Options
    UK case summary

• Options

Is that right? Look at the numbers on the dashboard - https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/

Cases stable for several weeks now, admissions also leveling off. And the restrictions have only been in force for a few days, so you can't attribute this improvement to that.
  • Options
    UK Hospitals

• Options
    @Malmesbury glitch in the matrix in one of your images.
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    UK R

from cases

from hospitalisations

• Options

UK R

So, just two areas in Wales with an R above 1.
    Drakeford was right.
  • Options
    This just popped up on my TikTok. Amongst the shuffle dancers, anime and bisexual pirates. What do they know about me? Nonetheless of interest to PB Torys:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZS45or7t/

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

It is worth noting - sotto voce - but while the UK did very badly with the first wave, it appears to be doing much better (relative to peers) with the second.
    Which peers? France, obviously. Anyone else?
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Pro rata, quite a bit of Europe.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Did I?

Why is he?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

"Gove" and "intelligence" are not normally seen in the same sentence.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Is that right? Look at the numbers on the dashboard - https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/

Cases stable for several weeks now, admissions also leveling off. And the restrictions have only been in force for a few days, so you can't attribute this improvement to that.
    I see no evidence whatsoever for the claim that we are “a few weeks behind France”. CHB’s opinion seems to be based entirely on his opinion that the Govt should have had a lockdown several weeks ago, and having failed to do so (regardless of the other difference in restrictions and public behaviour) our course is baked in and it is inevitable we follow the same route as the worst country in Europe.
  • Options

It makes a lot more sense if you know that at the time of writing Hegel was the accepted wisdom.

Now that's buggered you, hasn't it. You gotta go read Hegel now.

By comparison, Marx is positively racy.
  • Options
    Is there any historical reason why the State Opening of Parliament in 1605 and the US presidential elections fall in early November? Or is it just coincidence?
  • Options

I explained to you on the previous thread why this was wrong. For some reason you ignored it and just repeated what you previously said.

You've now done it again on this thread.

I can only conclude you fear there's something in it but you can't handle engaging with the argument because it might chip away at your pre-existing world view.
  • Options
    The City of Brotherly Love, right there...

https://twitter.com/BBCYaldaHakim/status/1325476274907860993
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Yes:

Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain, Italy, all of Eastern Europe, and probably Germany too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    edited November 2020
    Mr. Royale, that is reminiscent of a certain strain of Critical Race 'thinkers' who accuse a white person of racism. The white person either confesses their sin and gets to feel guilty but obedient and trying to be good, or does not, and is accused of ignorance and denial (plus being a racist).

"Agree with my theory or you're racist" is an infantile approach, though quite a few seem to have fallen for that brand of bullshit.

As an aside, viewing disagreement with* sin is political fundamentalism akin to Momentum and the far left's preening self-righteousness.

Edited extra bit *should be 'as sin'.
  • Options

It makes a lot more sense if you know that at the time of writing Hegel was the accepted wisdom.

Now that's buggered you, hasn't it. You gotta go read Hegel now.

By comparison, Marx is positively racy.
    Before you know it, you'll be reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Foundations_of_the_Nineteenth_Century

Turgid, Social Darwinism & loopy racism...

No wonder all the German philosophers went mad....
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

UK R

So, just two areas in Wales with an R above 1.
    Drakeford was right.
    Not necessarily. If it's just paused levels and not reduced them then lifting lockdown after just 2 weeks could lead to it picking back up again having not been meaningfully reduced.
  • Options
    RobD said:

?
  • Options

RobD said:

?
    Fixed now. Possible it was on my end.
  • Options

I explained to you on the previous thread why this was wrong. For some reason you ignored it and just repeated what you previously said.

You've now done it again on this thread.

I can only conclude you fear there's something in it but you can't handle engaging with the argument because it might chip away at your pre-existing world view.
    And I explained to you that your extremely narrow definition does not fit its usage by the MSM and others, including when you call some here woke.

I am referring to its actual usage.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    valleyboy said:

ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Did I?

Why is he?
    Ydoether you were replying to big g about Welsh lockdown.
    You said if we are stuck with this bastard through the winter ........
  • Options

Mr. Royale, that is reminiscent of a certain strain of Critical Race 'thinkers' who accuse a white person of racism. The white person either confesses their sin and gets to feel guilty but obedient and trying to be good, or does not, and is accused of ignorance and denial (plus being a racist).

"Agree with my theory or you're racist" is an infantile approach, though quite a few seem to have fallen for that brand of bullshit.

As an aside, viewing disagreement with* sin is political fundamentalism akin to Momentum and the far left's preening self-righteousness.

Edited extra bit *should be 'as sin'.

It was interesting to watch a video, some years ago, of what happened when the extreme form of this political theory of sin met the unvarnished expression of a traditional culture.

It did rather... explode the theory.
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.