Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I’ve finally bet on Biden as next President at a 67% chance – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited October 2020

The Trump campaign is trying hard to turn this into a gaffe.

https://twitter.com/TVNewsHQ/status/1321208404896030720

What's the context? I'm Joe Biden's husband?
    Joe Biden calls Kamala Harris’ husband, Doug Emhoff, ‘Kamala’s wife’ during interview

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13035369/joe-biden-kamala-harris-wife/
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Be still my girlish laughter.

Dunno if you were around in 2016 but there was a guy who claimed that a Trump supporting state official who described Michelle Obama as an 'ape in high heels' was only joking.
    So one Trump supporter said something bad 4 years ago, so we should all get offended by this now. Ok.
    Nope, just 'he's clearly joking' is one of the most pishily meretricious defences going.
    His point was that Biden might not last the term and if that happens then Harris would become president.

There was no way of him saying that without the terminally offended complaining about it.

If he'd said Biden is old and likely to drop dead at any moment (which looks pretty likely judging from recent footage), people would be pretending to get offended by that instead.
    Can you point to where Trump has merrily speculated about his own death. Surely just as relevant, since he's the other main candidate, and a fat, wheezing bag of shit?
    Well he's just served a term as president with no problems and recovered from COVID in a few days, so seems to be in decent health.

I'm not sure Biden would recover quite as quickly.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    Wow. John Sopel's figures on young people voting early are something. Massive massive increase on 2016.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Wow. John Sopel's figures on young people voting early are something. Massive massive increase on 2016.

They've finally, finally, woken up to what is being done to their futures.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    alex_ said:

They've finally, finally, woken up to what is being done to their futures.
    If you can do so and are not going to vote in this election, god help you.
  • Options
    I happened to be driving in Glasgow at sunrise today and it was a bit mental.

https://twitter.com/LostGlasgow/status/1321215902759723013?s=20

Things are so fucked at the moment up that when nature goes the extra mile I just feel that it's a portent of some future awfulness.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177

geoffw said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

Downing Street is privately working on the assumption that the second wave of coronavirus will be more deadly than the first, with the death toll remaining high throughout the winter.

An internal analysis of the projected course of the second wave is understood to show deaths peaking at a lower level than in the spring but remaining at that level for weeks or even months.

It is understood that the projection – provided by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) – has led to intense lobbying from Sir Patrick Vallance and other Government advisers for Boris Johnson to take more drastic action.

"It's going to be worse this time, more deaths," said one well-placed source. "That is the projection that has been put in front of the Prime Minister, and he is now being put under a lot of pressure to lock down again."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/27/second-covid-wave-forecast-deadly-first/

Great. As we're past the watershed, I'll simply 'Fuck this year'.
    As I said, this is what Swiss officials were quietly relaying some time ago, to their population-in-denial. The 2nd wave is going to be longer, nastier, and deathlier. BRACE
    It would be good to have an explanation instead of ex-cathedra pronouncements.

Don't hold your breath. The "model says" is about as explanatory as we little people are going to get.
    "The model" seems to be as much of a black box as all that machine learning some people here go on about. "The computer says.." is no way to explain things and thereby hardly conducive to people changing their behaviour which is the crucial factor in the development of the pandemic.

• Options

Joe Biden calls Kamala Harris’ husband, Doug Emhoff, ‘Kamala’s wife’ during interview

He is definitely going to be up there with George Bush on the mangled sentence gaffe-o-meter as POTUS.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    alex_ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Downing Street is privately working on the assumption that the second wave of coronavirus will be more deadly than the first, with the death toll remaining high throughout the winter.

An internal analysis of the projected course of the second wave is understood to show deaths peaking at a lower level than in the spring but remaining at that level for weeks or even months.

It is understood that the projection – provided by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) – has led to intense lobbying from Sir Patrick Vallance and other Government advisers for Boris Johnson to take more drastic action.

"It's going to be worse this time, more deaths," said one well-placed source. "That is the projection that has been put in front of the Prime Minister, and he is now being put under a lot of pressure to lock down again."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/27/second-covid-wave-forecast-deadly-first/

And very likely 'fuck 2021' as well.
    Badminton Horse Trials said today that next year's event (5-9 May) will be behind closed doors. I had a lot of hope pinned on that being the first return to normal thing that was going to happen.
    There go the planned elections as well. I'm still expecting them to at least defer the scheduled 2021 ones and just do the delayed 2020 ones.
    Surely with month's still to go they've got time to put in place 100% postal vote elections, if necessary haven't they? Not that i see why it should be necessary. Or are they claiming that campaigning difficulty is the problem?

Although they could obviously have them in July or august without too much difficulty, even if things in general don't improve.
    I'd agree they could probably do 100% postal vote elections, but with arguments about coughing up the money for it, and counts taking longer due to social distanced arrangements etc, and given a whole bunch of areas have already seen a delay for a year, it just seems so easy to argue that to spread the cost and burden of it they should split them up.
  • Options

Things are so fucked at the moment up that when nature goes the extra mile I just feel that it's a portent of some future awfulness.

I thought it was a still from low budget Independence Day reboot and the aliens were coming.
  • Options

Looks like Vger in Star trek 1
  • Options

Actually it is amazing as nature is

Enjoy it for what it is - magnificent
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

FPT:
    Hm. Suppose you're trying to work out how much someone weighs. Do you go with a set of scales, however imprecise, or a thermometer?

I might set some of my Y13s that question: how do measure someone’s mass with a thermometer? I can think of three ways off the top of my head...

long lever / moment of force
    throw it at someone floating in space / kinetic energy calculation
    hmmm, struggling for a third
    I would have gone with conservation of momentum for your second one, and that was not one of the three I had in mind.
    If you are in space measure the value of g from the person would do it.

One I was thinking of was to supply a know amount of heat to them and see how much their temperature changes.
    Then I had your first one.

Another is to offer to give them the thermometer if they will tell you their weight ...
    Bomb calorimetry?

Stick it in their middle, kill 'em and measure the time taken to return to RT?
    If you're allowed a spring as well, you could have the person bounce off the spring, and measure how much the spring heats up. What's that called, Young's modulus?
    If you have a spring you don’t really need anything else to be honest, assuming you know it’s spring constant (which is related to the Young modulus).

Your username suggests a science background, or is it just a memory of
    Y8 physics lessons?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

If you believe Nate Silver and the polls, then you definitely should be backing Biden at 5/6. It's a steal if the polls are right.

If...

It is a steal.

When can you think of a national election where the polls have been more than four points wrong in recent times?

2019 UK - basically right
    2018 Midterms - basically right, maybe Dems very slightly underrated
    2017 UK - Labour did three points better
    2017 France - Macron outperformed by 1%, Le Pen underperformed by 1%
    2016 - Brexit - Polls were four points out
    2016 US - Polls were one point out
    2012 US - Polls were three points out
    2008 US - Polls were basically right
    As the phrase goes "it's not a problem until it's a problem".

Let's take 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum

Note two things:

1. Post-the shooting of Jo Cox, the polls swung heavily to Remain. As we now know, that was a false indicator, suggesting people didn't want to be associated with Leave given the context of the murder. That should throw up a warning about polling and whether people give truthful answers when a particular option is seen as particularly controversial.

2. Remain in one of the polls had a lead of +10% and in a few others 7-8%. Not just mildly out but wildly out.

I'm sure if there is a polling error here, the polling companies will be rushing to include Rasmussen and Trafalgar in their average calculations to show that the polling industry got it right
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

As I said, this is what Swiss officials were quietly relaying some time ago, to their population-in-denial. The 2nd wave is going to be longer, nastier, and deathlier. BRACE

Don't hold your breath. The "model says" is about as explanatory as we little people are going to get.
    "The model" seems to be as much of a black box as all that machine learning some people here go on about. "The computer says.." is no way to explain things and thereby hardly conducive to people changing their behaviour which is the crucial factor in the development of the pandemic.

Perhaps we could put in a transfer request/bid for Dr Fauci.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005

Jill Biden
  • Options

He is definitely going to be up there with George Bush on the mangled sentence gaffe-o-meter as POTUS.
    Reminded me of Dubya Bush's comment that 'Al Gore's tax plans will require numerous IRA agents.'
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073

rcs1000 said:

I always wonder. Are Trump rallies totally unscripted, or does he just go totally off-piste in the middle of his autocue speech?
    He know's what he is doing; President Kamala, the most liberal-voting senator, is going down like a cup of cold sick in the swing states.
    In what world is Ex Prosecutor Kamala Harris even in the top 10% of liberal voting Senators?
    https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1320520061573095427
    She didn't advocate Medicare for All when she was running for the Democratic nominee. Indeed, she was to the Right of everyone except perhaps Buttigieg, Bloomberg and Biden.

You know who did support Medicare for all?

Sanders
    Warren
    And a bunch of other Democratic Senators like Sherrod Brown.
  • Options

Here we go. The 'lock us all down now" brigade are back.

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1321213111874031617

I doubt Boris mps would agree to it
    Isn't that the wrong way of framing the question, though?

I doubt that the PM could get any sort of lockdown, even a time-limited circuit breaker, through Parliament on Conservative votes right now, and he doesn't want to rely on opposition votes. So in that sense, you're right.

But.

As things stand, the infection rate is continuing to increase. Few, if any, parts of England have R meaningfully below 1. So- is there an infection rate where the nation has no choice but to lock down again, because the health implications are too horrible to contemplate? If so- what is it? If not- what is the plan?
  • Options

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps we could put in a transfer request/bid for Dr Fauci.
    Fauci impresses me greatly.
    Among other things for his calm insouciance in the face of Trumpian provocation.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,461
    IMO the best value trading bet is the Betfair Trump To Leave Before End of 1st Term at 11.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    Yay! Georgia and Iowa have turned back to blue on the 538 snake.

Sod the election, can't we just see what the snake says on November 3rd?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2020
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I always wonder. Are Trump rallies totally unscripted, or does he just go totally off-piste in the middle of his autocue speech?
    He know's what he is doing; President Kamala, the most liberal-voting senator, is going down like a cup of cold sick in the swing states.
    In what world is Ex Prosecutor Kamala Harris even in the top 10% of liberal voting Senators?
    She didn't advocate Medicare for All when she was running for the Democratic nominee. Indeed, she was to the Right of everyone except perhaps Buttigieg, Bloomberg and Biden.

Sanders
    Warren
    Yes, because she pretends to be something she isn't. She isn't dumb, being a senator from California means you have to appear more moderate if you want to play on the national stage. Doesn't change her voting record.

I just posted a journalist quoting a non-partisan vote tracker to your question about evidence. What more is there to say?

• Options
    edited October 2020
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

If you believe Nate Silver and the polls, then you definitely should be backing Biden at 5/6. It's a steal if the polls are right.

If...

It is a steal.

When can you think of a national election where the polls have been more than four points wrong in recent times?

Let's take 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum

Note two things:

1. Post-the shooting of Jo Cox, the polls swung heavily to Remain. As we now know, that was a false indicator, suggesting people didn't want to be associated with Leave given the context of the murder. That should throw up a warning about polling and whether people give truthful answers when a particular option is seen as particularly controversial.

2. Remain in one of the polls had a lead of +10% and in a few others 7-8%. Not just mildly out but wildly out.

I'm sure if there is a polling error here, the polling companies will be rushing to include Rasmussen and Trafalgar in their average calculations to show that the polling industry got it right

That's the polling. Yes, there were plenty of polls showing Remain leads. But there were also plenty of polls that predicted Leave.

Not only that, but there was movement, sustained movement.

What have we not seen this time around?

Movement.
  • Options

I doubt that the PM could get any sort of lockdown, even a time-limited circuit breaker, through Parliament on Conservative votes right now, and he doesn't want to rely on opposition votes. So in that sense, you're right.

But.

As things stand, the infection rate is continuing to increase. Few, if any, parts of England have R meaningfully below 1. So- is there an infection rate where the nation has no choice but to lock down again, because the health implications are too horrible to contemplate? If so- what is it? If not- what is the plan?
    That is a fair summary and question but of course a national lockdown would involve the devolved administrations and of course simple to understand rules, and not the controversy seen here in Wales
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    To be fair, PPP is a Democratic polling firm. Other polls in Montana have shown a much larger Trump lead there. It is entirely possible that PPP are also selectively releasing polling that favours a narrative that they think favours their cause. In this case to encourage their supporters to go to the polls by believing that the Democrats are in with a shout. Even if they don't need Montana for the White House, there is a tight Senate race there, so Dems going to the polls in Montana does matter a lot in terms of the prospects of the Dems controlling the Senate.

I suggest that it's best at this point to discount all polling by conducted by companies that either have links to the respective parties (the likes of PPP, Trafalgar, Rasmussen) or which was commissioned by organisations which are strongly campaigning for either side.
    I think this is spot on: this is a poll designed to get Democrats to the poll to vote for Bullock under the mistaken impression that Montana might tip at the General.
    I am sure that is right but it has crossed my mind before now that in a strong blue wave Montana might be one of the more outlandish States to flip. The reason is the long border with Canada, which has conspicuously done rather better with Covid than the USA.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

FPT:
    Hm. Suppose you're trying to work out how much someone weighs. Do you go with a set of scales, however imprecise, or a thermometer?

I might set some of my Y13s that question: how do measure someone’s mass with a thermometer? I can think of three ways off the top of my head...

I would have gone with conservation of momentum for your second one, and that was not one of the three I had in mind.

One I was thinking of was to supply a know amount of heat to them and see how much their temperature changes.

Another is to offer to give them the thermometer if they will tell you their weight ...
    Bomb calorimetry?

If you're allowed a spring as well, you could have the person bounce off the spring, and measure how much the spring heats up. What's that called, Young's modulus?
    If you have a spring you don’t really need anything else to be honest, assuming you know it’s spring constant (which is related to the Young modulus).

Y8 physics lessons?
    A timer and a tape, surely?
  • Options

Yay! Georgia and Iowa have turned back to blue on the 538 snake.

Sod the election, can't we just see what the snake says on November 3rd?

Has Iowa been blue before?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

That isn't true of all ML at all. Deep Neural Networks are difficult to inferer what the computer actually learned (and that is a huge criticism of them). But there plenty of other ML techniques that are prefectly interpretable and don't operate like a black box at all.

Given the limited COVID data, most models aren't using neural nets.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    I still don't understand why lockdown is still in the frame. The source of continued infection is people who have the virus interacting with people who don't have it at its most basic level. That's the problem that needs solving and using a lockdown to keep everyone indoors regardless of whether they have the virus or not is a huge failure on basically every level given what we now know about the virus that we didn't in March.

The key is to:
    1. Find people with the virus
    2. Isolate them properly
    3. Find who they have been in contact with
    4. Test them rapidly and isolate them if they also have the virus
    5. Rinse, repeat until there's no virus left

We're sort of finding people with the virus because people develop symptoms and ask for tests, we're not isolating them properly, we're not finding people they've been in contact with, those that we do find are being asked unnecessarily to isolate for 14 days instead of being given rapid tests and we're not doing it fast enough.

So on actually having a solution to the problem we're at 0.5/5, increasing testing capacity is no longer an effective tool for suppression, it takes us from 0.5/5 to maybe 0.7/5, we need to address all of the other steps to break the chain. Lockdown does it to some degree because it makes 3-5 irrelevant by partially solving 2, but it comes with huge economic and social consequences.

Our government has failed us, the machinery of the state has failed us, the opposition has failed us, the academics have failed us. We're fucked because of incompetence, corruption and plain stupidity by all levels of the state. It's genuinely depressing to think that we're going to go into lockdown because they haven't got a fucking clue and no one who has the ability to question the government has a fucking clue either and are more interested in stupid political process stories.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, I'm glad my business is in Arizona. During summer, the virus is rampant as everyone is inside, and during winter they can barbeque and eat outside and the virus recedes.

Do you sell life insurance policies with a watertight exclusion of deaths in months with no r in them? If not, why the rejoicing?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2020
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, I'm glad my business is in Arizona. During summer, the virus is rampant as everyone is inside, and during winter they can barbeque and eat outside and the virus recedes.

I have some bad news for you about Arizona's case numbers...
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    edited October 2020

Bloody hell, looks like a scene from Independence Day!

(Edit: My witty comment has been beaten)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

In that theamgreatness Florida poll is the following :

Already voted

Trump 36
    Biden 83
    Others 4

(Total 127)

5.2 million had voted at the start of the fieldwork, 6 million by the end date.

Remaining 2 party voters split 156 Trump / 92 Biden

Total 253

There's simply not that many voters left !

Yeah, a number of these polls have some literally impossible implied turnout numbers.

What I haven't worked out is if that is terrible for Trump (not enough voters to make up the gap) or bad for the poll (too many early voters in the sample)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    To be fair, PPP is a Democratic polling firm. Other polls in Montana have shown a much larger Trump lead there. It is entirely possible that PPP are also selectively releasing polling that favours a narrative that they think favours their cause. In this case to encourage their supporters to go to the polls by believing that the Democrats are in with a shout. Even if they don't need Montana for the White House, there is a tight Senate race there, so Dems going to the polls in Montana does matter a lot in terms of the prospects of the Dems controlling the Senate.

I suggest that it's best at this point to discount all polling by conducted by companies that either have links to the respective parties (the likes of PPP, Trafalgar, Rasmussen) or which was commissioned by organisations which are strongly campaigning for either side.
    I think this is spot on: this is a poll designed to get Democrats to the poll to vote for Bullock under the mistaken impression that Montana might tip at the General.
    I will not take this scurilous reframing of of Biden's Montana surge lying down.

This is real hard evidence of Biden taking Montana for 100% certain and the money I placed on him doing so at 12/1 has nothing to do with my prognostications.
    PPP were the most accurate pollster across the 2012 campaign so I certainly wouldn't bump them in the same category as Trafalgar/Rasmussen

https://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/polls/266615-study-finds-ppp-kos-the-most-accurate-pollsters-in-2012
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I still don't understand why lockdown is still in the frame. The source of continued infection is people who have the virus interacting with people who don't have it at its most basic level. That's the problem that needs solving and using a lockdown to keep everyone indoors regardless of whether they have the virus or not is a huge failure on basically every level given what we now know about the virus that we didn't in March.

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

We're sort of finding people with the virus because people develop symptoms and ask for tests, we're not isolating them properly, we're not finding people they've been in contact with, those that we do find are being asked unnecessarily to isolate for 14 days instead of being given rapid tests and we're not doing it fast enough.

So on actually having a solution to the problem we're at 0.5/5, increasing testing capacity is no longer an effective tool for suppression, it takes us from 0.5/5 to maybe 0.7/5, we need to address all of the other steps to break the chain. Lockdown does it to some degree because it makes 3-5 irrelevant by partially solving 2, but it comes with huge economic and social consequences.

Our government has failed us, the machinery of the state has failed us, the opposition has failed us, the academics have failed us. We're fucked because of incompetence, corruption and plain stupidity by all levels of the state. It's genuinely depressing to think that we're going to go into lockdown because they haven't got a fucking clue and no one who has the ability to question the government has a fucking clue either and are more interested in stupid political process stories.

Very much true but not just confined to the UK
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

FPT:

Bomb calorimetry?

Y8 physics lessons?
    The name is more reflective (or should I say refractive?) of my not settling down on one party. I don't think I've ever voted for the same party in two consecutive elections.
    And yeah, it's more memories-from-school rather than any science profession; I'm one of those people blessed with a formidable memory, so excellent at learning stuff, but I am weak when it comes to research and casting facts into new knowledge. You need that spark of imagination and creativity to be a "real" scientist, which I do not have. So instead I'm just good at pub quizzes.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

Big Doms observation that our intuitions aren't fit for purpose seems about right. His problem is he appears to be incredibly poor person to oversee any sort of reform.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

If...

It is a steal.

Let's take 2016

Note two things:

So... You've just ignore the BMG poll with the 10 point leave lead then?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Looks like Labour will have lot on their 'own plate' this Thursday at 11.00am when the ECHR is published
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I am sure that is right but it has crossed my mind before now that in a strong blue wave Montana might be one of the more outlandish States to flip. The reason is the long border with Canada, which has conspicuously done rather better with Covid than the USA.
    Yes that's the kind of talk my money likes to hear.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I will not take this scurilous reframing of of Biden's Montana surge lying down.

This is real hard evidence of Biden taking Montana for 100% certain and the money I placed on him doing so at 12/1 has nothing to do with my prognostications.
    PPP were the most accurate pollster across the 2012 campaign so I certainly wouldn't bump them in the same category as Trafalgar/Rasmussen

https://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/polls/266615-study-finds-ppp-kos-the-most-accurate-pollsters-in-2012
    Only as they predicted higher black turnout for Obama, in 2016 they had Clinton +4% as their final poll, Rasmussen correctly had Clinton +2%
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330
    MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

All valid. I still ask though whose model should we follow? And please not nz which has special characteristics. Which western nation is the one? Germany did well in the first wave, but they too are struggling with keeping the economy going and Covid suppressed. We all need to stiffen the resolve, lock ourselves down and do our bit. The problem with Covid is the spread before symptoms. That’s why it’s so hard for isolation of people. We also need to move away from pcr as the mass test. We need to use much more rapid tests, even if less accurate.
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

That isn't true of all ML at all. Deep Neural Networks are difficult to inferer what the computer actually learned (and that is a huge criticism of them). But there plenty of other ML techniques that are prefectly interpretable and don't operate like a black box at all.

Given the limited COVID data, most models aren't using neural nets.
    Well I could be convinced by a published machine learning solution which demonstrated explicativity, in terms of cause and effect. Of any complex problem at all. As you say, neural nets don't cut it.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sanders
    Warren
    Yes, because she pretends to be something she isn't. She isn't dumb, being a senator from California means you have to appear more moderate if you want to play on the national stage. Doesn't change her voting record.

I just posted a journalist quoting a non-partisan vote tracker to your question about evidence. What more is there to say?

With all due respect, that's cherry picking data. If you look at the same source - Govtrack.us - and actually use the whole period for which Harris is a Senator, rather than just this year, then 'lo, it turns out she's not particularly liberal at all - certainly not compared to say Sanders or Warren.

She's not in favour of Medicare for All. She doesn't support abolishing ICE. She has been very critical of Defund the Police.

Come on @brokenwheel, do you genuinely believe she is more liberal than Bernie Sanders?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

That's not a defence. I don't care what happens outside of our borders, I care about what happens here and the grim prospect of spending three months isolated from my family and friends again. The government had the chance to get ahead of all of this and through incompetence and plain old corruption (Dido, Serco) we're (my wife and I) not going to be able to spend Christmas with my sister, brother-in-law and niece as we've planned.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830

Totally unscripted, unfettered, unregulated AND un-house-broken
    As ad-libbed works of fiction, on the entertainment front they are quite good. Better than plenty of improv comedy i have seen over the years.
    Dreaming out loud about your opponent being assassinated - in a country where FOUR presidents have been killed in just this manner, and five others have been targeted by would-be assassin - is WAY beyond the pale, even for a total piece of scum like Trumpsky.

AND if YOU find it funny in this context, then I question just where your head is at?
    Trump jokes like a mafia don.
    Plausibly deniable incitement - as repeatedly with Whitmer.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Already voted

Trump 36
    Biden 83
    Others 4

(Total 127)

Total 253

Yeah, a number of these polls have some literally impossible implied turnout numbers.

What I haven't worked out is if that is terrible for Trump (not enough voters to make up the gap) or bad for the poll (too many early voters in the sample)
    Say an average of 5.6m people in FL had voted when that poll was conducted.

And assume 11.2m will vote this year (it was 9.4m in in 2016) - that would imply 77% turnout (75% in 2016).

Then approximately half the FL voters had voted by the time of this poll so their 'have voted' / 'yet to vote' sample sizes should have been even. Wheareas their 'yet to vote' (Trump leaning) sample was twice as large as the 'have voted' (Biden leaning) sample.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Do you sell life insurance policies with a watertight exclusion of deaths in months with no r in them? If not, why the rejoicing?
    We're in the auto insurance business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmrRMK84GU4&t=1s&ab_channel=JustAutoInsurance

Feel free to watch and click "Like".
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

But.

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

If...

It is a steal.

Let's take 2016

Note two things:

That's the polling. Yes, there were plenty of polls showing Remain leads. But there were also plenty of polls that predicted Leave.

Not only that, but there was movement, sustained movement.

What have we not seen this time around?

Movement.
    It’s also not really fair to compare a one-off referendum against polling for national elections that occur regularly every four years or so, which gives you a wealth of data to calibrate models.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

That's not a defence. I don't care what happens outside of our borders, I care about what happens here and the grim prospect of spending three months isolated from my family and friends again. The government had the chance to get ahead of all of this and through incompetence and plain old corruption (Dido, Serco) we're (my wife and I) not going to be able to spend Christmas with my sister, brother-in-law and niece as we've planned.
    I don’t disagree with the main thrust, but I feel this is a problem that is maybe impossible for ‘I know my rights’ western nations. As others have said before, our lockdown was puny c.f. to other countries. There also is a balance that must be struck of economy vs health. Unpalatable but true.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sanders
    Warren

With all due respect, that's cherry picking data. If you look at the same source - Govtrack.us - and actually use the whole period for which Harris is a Senator, rather than just this year, then 'lo, it turns out she's not particularly liberal at all - certainly not compared to say Sanders or Warren.

She's not in favour of Medicare for All. She doesn't support abolishing ICE. She has been very critical of Defund the Police.

Come on @brokenwheel, do you genuinely believe she is more liberal than Bernie Sanders?
    That's a really convoluted way of saying she's the most liberal-voting senator this year...

And why do you keep going on about what she "advocates"? That's not the question, it's the votes.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    FPT:

In considering yours truly's views on Pennsylvania, please know that I am

> native-born Pennsylvanian

> descendant of immigrants - German, Scots-Irish & Irish Catholic) who came to PA before 1850.

> direct descendant of three PA soldiers who defended the Keystone State and turned back the "High Tide of the Confederacy" at Gettysburg.

> son of politically (and religiously) mixed marriage, my maternal grandmother being a local Democratic activist, while my paternal grandfather was a rock-ribbed Republican.

Doubt that ANY PBer can match my PA credentials! Hope you are all SUITABLY impressed!!

Here's a tip for ENIght - keep yer eye on Beaver County!!!

What was your prediction for PA in 2016 just before voting ended on election night?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Already voted

Trump 36
    Biden 83
    Others 4

(Total 127)

Total 253

And assume 11.2m will vote this year (it was 9.4m in in 2016) - that would imply 77% turnout (75% in 2016).

Then approximately half the FL voters had voted by the time of this poll so their 'have voted' / 'yet to vote' sample sizes should have been even. Wheareas their 'yet to vote' (Trump leaning) sample was twice as large as the 'have voted' (Biden leaning) sample.
    Yeah, Trump is fucked. I was just seeing if anyone would try some crazy maths to make it bad for Biden.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

All valid. I still ask though whose model should we follow? And please not nz which has special characteristics. Which western nation is the one? Germany did well in the first wave, but they too are struggling with keeping the economy going and Covid suppressed. We all need to stiffen the resolve, lock ourselves down and do our bit. The problem with Covid is the spread before symptoms. That’s why it’s so hard for isolation of people. We also need to move away from pcr as the mass test. We need to use much more rapid tests, even if less accurate.
    We need to make our own model.

1. Depends on 3
    2. Increase the incentive to isolate, make breaking isolation impossible either through GPS tracking or by random daily checks carried out by local teams in hazmat suits and the ability to leverage punitive fines.
    3. Local track and trace teams in hazmat suits armed with swabs and rapid tests to carry out immediate or overnight testing of contacts.
    4. Results from part three to be available immediately or overnight, reducing pre-symptomatic spread to a minimum level because of rapid results and isolation from point 2.
    5. Rinse repeat.

That is a model that works and doesn't require a national lockdown.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

Why are you asking "which western nation"? We have as much to learn from eastern countries (both ones that have excelled and ones that have done badly) as we do from anywhere else.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sanders
    Warren

That's a really convoluted way of saying she's the most liberal-voting senator this year...

And why do you keep going on about what she "advocates"? That's not the question, it's the votes.
    Sorry. But that's not how Govtrack works.

Govtrack looks at the number of bills you co-sponsor and how many of them are with members of the opposite party. It does not look at how you vote. If you want to look at how Senators vote then here's the data from 538:
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/

You will find - oh guess what - that Kamala Harris votes with the President far more than Sanders or Warren.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

I don’t disagree with the main thrust, but I feel this is a problem that is maybe impossible for ‘I know my rights’ western nations. As others have said before, our lockdown was puny c.f. to other countries. There also is a balance that must be struck of economy vs health. Unpalatable but true.
    Better to isolate the few who have the virus properly than everyone badly.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    edited October 2020
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

To be honest I think it is because if Europe as a whole plus the US have not got on top of it then it indicates the scientific and political thinking across nations has failed

Our testing is not far from Germany's and better than most anywhere else other than the southern hemisphere and to start from zero 7 months ago to near 500,000 a day by the end of this month together with our investment in vaccine research should be complimented

As most posters know I am in favour of local lockdowns enforced if necesary with curfews but only a second national lockdown when everything else has failed.

There is an irony that the best time for a national lockdown is the Xmas - New Year holiday period
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

If...

It is a steal.

Let's take 2016

Note two things:

So what, if I may ask, is your betting position here? Because if the picture you are painting is even halfway correct, there is bound to be a massive shortening of Trump at some stage as the penny drops, allowing you to trade out of any bet you place now at a profit irrespective of the result. Even if you are wrong, you're right. Have you mortgaged your grandmother and if not, what's stopping you?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

1. Depends on 3
    2. Increase the incentive to isolate, make breaking isolation impossible either through GPS tracking or by random daily checks carried out by local teams in hazmat suits and the ability to leverage punitive fines.
    3. Local track and trace teams in hazmat suits armed with swabs and rapid tests to carry out immediate or overnight testing of contacts.
    4. Results from part three to be available immediately or overnight, reducing pre-symptomatic spread to a minimum level because of rapid results and isolation from point 2.
    5. Rinse repeat.

Beware unintended side-effects. If you slap a GPS tracker on people for testing positive, some will feel criminalised for being ill. There's ample evidence that mixing healthcare and law enforcement drives people away from seeking (official) healthcare channels.
    Also, if a hazmat team swoops down on your street, that will tend to frighten people. Would you open the door when they come knocking? Would everyone?

I don't mean to be down on your ideas, but I think you should be cautious about thinking the answer is quite as simple and you imply.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    MaxPB said:

New Zealand has just announced they will use centralised quarantine if they have any flare ups, and the usual suspects are accusing them of fascism/communism.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830

MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

Big Doms observation that our intuitions aren't fit for purpose seems about right. His problem is he appears to be incredibly poor person to oversee any sort of reform.
    My intuition is that he’s full of shit. Seems to have been borne out so far.

Or did you mean institutions ?
    In which case, he’s a wrecker, not a reformer.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

We’ve got to stop looking at other countries. Your five step plan is of course right. But doing it in practice, in a liberal country with 67 m people, raises non-trivial problems at every point. For instance, number 2 is impossible to enforce and number 3 full of holes. Even if by some miracle we were successful and eradicate covid from our shores, it will be back again from countries which have been less successful in eradicating it.
    I keep coming back to thinking that life has a new danger that we will at some point have to face up to, with the consequences that that entails.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

We're in the auto insurance business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmrRMK84GU4&t=1s&ab_channel=JustAutoInsurance

Feel free to watch and click "Like".
    Will do, but I still don't see how the seasonal covid pattern helps you.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Looks like Labour will have lot on their 'own plate' this Thursday at 11.00am when the ECHR is published
    So much build up almost anything could be a damp squib, bizarrely.

If it is bad, then so long as they gag Corbyn from commenting on it then the news cycle will pass quicker than Boris would like, I imagine.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sanders
    Warren

Govtrack looks at the number of bills you co-sponsor and how many of them are with members of the opposite party. It does not look at how you vote. If you want to look at how Senators vote then here's the data from 538:

You will find - oh guess what - that Kamala Harris votes with the President far more than Sanders or Warren.
    2-3% is a curious definition of far more!
  • Options
    Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer crashed into a cyclist 'while trying to perform a u-turn close to a busy junction near his London home' witnesses claim

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8885945/Sir-Keir-Starmer-crashed-cyclist-trying-perform-u-turn-witnesses-claim.html
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2020
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

My intuition is that he’s full of shit. Seems to have been borne out so far.

Or did you mean institutions ?
    In which case, he’s a wrecker, not a reformer.
    Yes, of course I meant institutions. Not just Team Boris, it goes much wider, as Max says so many failures from so many different sectors. Frontline NHS seems to be the one very bright spot, when pushed to change their normal way of working* and rapidly expand capacity, they did so.

And as I said, he is the wrong person.

* does sort of beg the question why certain improvements have always got bogged down in the past.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    That’s excellent.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sanders
    Warren

That's about 30% more often!
  • Options
    Alert, Alert, Alert

The latest Trafalgar PA poll has cross breaks at the end of the slidea

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OILz8BjBnlIYfPo6ln-yMm6r12cUaVfp/view?usp=sharing

Trump winning the 18-24 year old vote!
  • Options

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer crashed into a cyclist 'while trying to perform a u-turn close to a busy junction near his London home' witnesses claim

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8885945/Sir-Keir-Starmer-crashed-cyclist-trying-perform-u-turn-witnesses-claim.html

What would life be, without metaphors?
  • Options
    Trump winning the 18-24 year old vote is a common feature in all Trafalgar polling
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

1. Depends on 3
    5. Rinse repeat.

Beware unintended side-effects. If you slap a GPS tracker on people for testing positive, some will feel criminalised for being ill. There's ample evidence that mixing healthcare and law enforcement drives people away from seeking (official) healthcare channels.
    Also, if a hazmat team swoops down on your street, that will tend to frighten people. Would you open the door when they come knocking? Would everyone?

I don't mean to be down on your ideas, but I think you should be cautious about thinking the answer is quite as simple and you imply.
    Yes, I understand that the GPS tracker may not be acceptable which is why you have the random daily check as the alternative. Opening the door isn't a choice, taking the test also isn't a choice. The government has all of these emergency powers, it may as well use them properly and solve the actual problem of infected people not isolating.

Unfortunately we're in a situation where we can either remove the liberty of everyone for some indeterminate period of time or from people who have the virus for two weeks and pay them some reasonable compensation to accept the loss of it. Neither is ideal, however, the situation isn't ideal and this is where tough decisions need to be made. Ultimately anyone who bitches about it can bitch for two weeks if they get it or face punitive fines.
  • Options

I don't know the details about this, but I've seen near-crashes with u-turning cars before. Where the car is mid-manoeuvre and a cyclist just nips in behind because they can't wait. As a cyclist, I always wait because I know as a driver, it's impossible to see everywhere when you're turning in the road. You have blind spots at funny angles to the road, and it's too easy to miss something. Plus, it's fucking rude to squeeze past when someone's turning.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

If...

It is a steal.

Let's take 2016

Note two things:

So... You've just ignore the BMG poll with the 10 point leave lead then?
    Well, as he’s talking about polls taken after Jo Cox’s murder, there isn’t a BMG poll to ignore
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alert, Alert, Alert

The latest Trafalgar PA poll has cross breaks at the end of the slidea

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OILz8BjBnlIYfPo6ln-yMm6r12cUaVfp/view?usp=sharing

Trump winning the 18-24 year old vote!

While Biden is winning in the 45-64 and 65+ age groups!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

New Zealand has just announced they will use centralised quarantine if they have any flare ups, and the usual suspects are accusing them of fascism/communism.
    Fuck it, it's two weeks of someone's life. I'm sure they'll live.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

I don't know the details about this, but I've seen near-crashes with u-turning cars before. Where the car is mid-manoeuvre and a cyclist just nips in behind because they can't wait. As a cyclist, I always wait because I know as a driver, it's impossible to see everywhere when you're turning in the road. You have blind spots at funny angles to the road, and it's too easy to miss something. Plus, it's fucking rude to squeeze past when someone's turning.
    Had a feeling this would be seen as anyone but Sir Keir’s fault
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Already voted

Trump 36
    Biden 83
    Others 4

(Total 127)

Total 253

Yeah, Trump is fucked. I was just seeing if anyone would try some crazy maths to make it bad for Biden.
    Giving even weighting to the 'have voted' / 'yet to vote' sample sizes in that poll gives a 51.1% to 44.1% lead to Biden.
  • Options
    isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Amazing that some Italian airport making up a story about Boris turned out to be Boris' fault though.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    edited October 2020
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

If it is bad, then so long as they gag Corbyn from commenting on it then the news cycle will pass quicker than Boris would like, I imagine.
    Starmer may well have to sack well known mps from Labour otherwise he will forever be embroiled with it

I expect it will be in the news for days but of course the US election will dominate

I came down this morning at 7.30 only to see Kay Burley had already arrived in the US and was doing her morning programme from there and no doubt until post the election.

With covid, brexit and Boris's woes Sky and Burley decide that we all need to be hooked up in the US in their utter obsession with US politics as we are mostly in lockdown concerned about health and jobs

Anyway the BBC did not fall for the allure of being out of touch and were very good to be honest
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Alistair said:

Trump winning the 18-24 year old vote is a common feature in all Trafalgar polling

That would be an interesting polling failure. They're the voting demographic with the least to fear from coronavirus.
  • Options
    isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

If you think what I said was absolving Starmer of any fault, it's only because you really really want it to be his fault.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,589
    MaxPB said:

The key is to:
    2. Isolate them properly

I agree with you, except I think you're too harsh on the opposition. Starmer has been banging on about taking pretty much exactly the steps you suggest at every PMQs for the last three months, to no avail. His idea of a circuit breaker now is as a last resort precisely because the government/Dido/Serco failed to get it right, leading to the virus getting out of control over the last month.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sanders
    Warren

That's about 30% more often!
    :D

30% of a small number is a small number.

It's clear even from Nate's figures that she is one of the most liberal senators, the moderate thing is a total act.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2020

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Starmer may well have to sack well known mps from Labour otherwise he will forever be embroiled with it

I expect it will be in the news for days but of course the US election will dominate

I came down this morning at 7.30 only to see Kay Burley had already arrived in the US and was doing her morning programme from there and no doubt until post the election.

With covid, brexit and Boris's woes Sky and Burley decide that we all need to be hooked up in the US in their utter obsession with US politics as we are mostly in lockdown concerned about health and jobs

Anyway the BBC did not fall for the allure of being out of touch and were very good to be honest
    I didn't know Bernard Manning style humour was coming back into fashion....a couple of weeks ago, it was kill whiteys, was the side splitting punch line, now...

Presenter Tom Price chuckled as comedian Leila Navabi accused Mr Sunak of “not representing most brown people”.

She went on to joke: “Rishi Sunak represents a lot of things for us as a society, not least what Prince Charles would look like in brownface.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13038895/bbc-race-row-rishi-sunak-prince-charles-brownface/
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,437
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Lazy victim-blaming of cyclists is still lazy victim-blaming of cyclists even when it's in the cause of defending the leader of the Labour Party from embarrassment.

Cycling is currently the best way for white males to find out what it's like to live as a persecuted minority - damn terrifying.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

If you think what I said was absolving Starmer of any fault, it's only because you really really want it to be his fault.
    Yeah yeah
  • Options
    US voting now exceeds 50% of the 2016 turnout!

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I didn't know Bernard Manning style humour was coming back into fashion....a couple of weeks ago, it was kill whiteys, was the side splitting punch line, now...

Presenter Tom Price chuckled as comedian Leila Navabi accused Mr Sunak of “not representing most brown people”.

She went on to joke: “Rishi Sunak represents a lot of things for us as a society, not least what Prince Charles would look like in brownface.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13038895/bbc-race-row-rishi-sunak-prince-charles-brownface/
    Well, she was right about the 50p coin thing that is referenced being virtue signalling, but this is codswallop

A BBC spokesman said: “In this instance, we believe that the comedian, who was a guest on the programme, was suggesting that Prince Charles and the Chancellor have a passing resemblance.

Personally I cannot see the resemblance even in passing, but each to their own. Seems more likely when someone is upset about 'X not representing group Y' well enough they simply have very weird expectations of how people should behave based on their ethnicity.

And of course Tories will overreact to comments from a comedian, but my word as a society we can be clumsy on race, and send some very mixed signals about it not mattering, or mattering more than anything.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Not even accurate. But certainly Sunak is not really brown, any more than Thatcher was really a woman.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,341
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well, she was right about the 50p coin thing that is referenced being virtue signalling, but this is codswallop

A BBC spokesman said: “In this instance, we believe that the comedian, who was a guest on the programme, was suggesting that Prince Charles and the Chancellor have a passing resemblance.

Personally I cannot see the resemblance even in passing, but each to their own. Seems more likely when someone is upset about 'X not representing group Y' well enough they simply have very weird expectations of how people should behave based on their ethnicity.

And of course Tories will overreact to comments from a comedian, but my word as a society we can be clumsy on race, and send some very mixed signals about it not mattering, or mattering more than anything.
    The ears?
This discussion has been closed.