Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I’ve finally bet on Biden as next President at a 67% chance – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited October 2020 in General
I’ve finally bet on Biden as next President at a 67% chance – politicalbetting.com

Ever since the 2020 White House Race started formally ahead of the first primary TV debates in June last year I have been very critical of Joe Biden and never thought that he would get the nomination.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    First like Biden
  • Options
    And second like Trumpski
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,167
    2nd like trump (hopefully)
  • Options

Damn third...
  • Options

A distant 2nd hopefully!
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    edited October 2020
    6th like Kayne.
  • Options
    I really do hope you haven't put the mockers on Uncle Joe, @MikeSmithson
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Damn third...
    It would be truly hilarious if Trump came 3rd
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,598

First like Biden

Waiting in the wings like Kamala
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    HYUFD said:
    To be fair, PPP is a Democratic polling firm. Other polls in Montana have shown a much larger Trump lead there. It is entirely possible that PPP are also selectively releasing polling that favours a narrative that they think favours their cause. In this case to encourage their supporters to go to the polls by believing that the Democrats are in with a shout. Even if they don't need Montana for the White House, there is a tight Senate race there, so Dems going to the polls in Montana does matter a lot in terms of the prospects of the Dems controlling the Senate.

I suggest that it's best at this point to discount all polling by conducted by companies that either have links to the respective parties (the likes of PPP, Trafalgar, Rasmussen) or which was commissioned by organisations which are strongly campaigning for either side.
  • Options
    FPT...
    Its all good until this tweet...sigh...my article is gah substandard, because i only got comment from white men (no matter how qualified they are on the subject), please don't beat me up over this, i have some more diversity in a different article. What a sad atttitude, not basing your article on accuracy and academic quality of the contributors, but what is the make up of their gender and skin colour.

https://twitter.com/apoorva_nyc/status/1321197162873688065?s=19

• Options
    I'm on Biden at 5/6, hedged with a sell at 320 ECV.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    Not a bad bet Mike, with 538 having Biden as an 88% chance as I write, the highest he's been.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    "My main worry is when I will get my winnings because ..."
    Counting chickens.
  • Options

FPT...

Its all good until this tweet...sigh...my article is gah substandard, because i only got comment from white men (no matter how qualified they are on the subject), please don't beat me up over this, i have some more diversity in a different article. What a sad atttitude, not basing your article on accuracy and academic quality of the contributors, but what is the make up of their gender and skin colour.

https://twitter.com/apoorva_nyc/status/1321197162873688065?s=19

WORST thing about this disease, is the damage it does to your fashion sense.

Unless of course you are a chic young lady (such as LadyG?) with a stylish face mask.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,195
    I'm going all in now on Biden. 1.50 looks tasty 7 days out.

And, I figure that if Trump wins then the last thing I will be worrying about is my lost money.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,261
    It is every chancellor’s job to worry about the wind changing. It is the current prime minister’s habit not to care. Even without differences of economic philosophy, tension is inevitable between Johnson’s incoherence, promising the earth with no regard for who should pay, and Sunak’s need to be independent and in control of the Treasury. His campaign for the succession is built on his brand as the serious, capable one in a cabinet of rogues and ninnies. It is a catch-22: being chancellor puts Sunak in pole position to take over, but the longer he serves as a Johnson loyalist, the less attractive he looks as a potential prime minister.

The current Tory leader is in difficulty but his leadership is far from derelict. He still has reserves of support in the country, a ruthless streak and infinite pride. Two axioms stand out from any study of Johnson’s career: first, he must never be underestimated. Second, his greatest skill is getting out of the scrapes that his lack of judgment gets him into. Put those together and you arrive at the forecast that he will be a terrible prime minister who is good at clinging to power. He will leave no legacy to inherit, only a mess to clear up.

There can be no continuity in Johnsonism. It is an episode, a convulsion, a one-off. The next prime minister, even if it is another Tory, must run as an antidote to the current one. That is hard for someone who has helped cook and serve the noxious brew. Sunak has less time than he thinks. He has to decide how long to be part of the Tories’ Johnson problem before somehow offering himself as their solution

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/27/rishi-sunak-ambition-collision-course-boris-johnson-ego-tory-party
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    If you believe Nate Silver and the polls, then you definitely should be backing Biden at 5/6. It's a steal if the polls are right.

If...
  • Options
    I always wonder. Are Trump rallies totally unscripted, or does he just go totally off-piste in the middle of his autocue speech?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    edited October 2020
    That is the kind of thing that goes down REAL well with swing voters, alright.

Keep up the good work, Trumpsky!

Cannot wait to find out how THIS pans out in the next Trafalgar "poll"

"If your neighbor knew that Joe Biden was recklessly making himself a target by his very existence . . ."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Biden was the best candidate for the Democrats to win the rustbelt they have to take to win the EC and he is of an age and centrist enough to appeal to boomers in Florida too, however while he will pick up maybe 1 or 2 rustbelt states, probably at least PA where he was raised and helped by Philadelphia he needs to win all 3 of Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania or 2 of them plus either Arizona or Florida to win the EC and that is still debateable in my view
  • Options
    FPT:
    Hm. Suppose you're trying to work out how much someone weighs. Do you go with a set of scales, however imprecise, or a thermometer?

I might set some of my Y13s that question: how do measure someone’s mass with a thermometer? I can think of three ways off the top of my head...
  • Options
    MrEd said:

If you believe Nate Silver and the polls, then you definitely should be backing Biden at 5/6. It's a steal if the polls are right.

If...

Very laconic.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998

FPT:
    Hm. Suppose you're trying to work out how much someone weighs. Do you go with a set of scales, however imprecise, or a thermometer?

I might set some of my Y13s that question: how do measure someone’s mass with a thermometer? I can think of three ways off the top of my head...

long lever / moment of force
    throw it at someone floating in space / kinetic energy calculation
    hmmm, struggling for a third
  • Options

I always wonder. Are Trump rallies totally unscripted, or does he just go totally off-piste in the middle of his autocue speech?
    Totally unscripted, unfettered, unregulated AND un-house-broken
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    MrEd said:

If...

Where can you get 5/6?
  • Options

As ad-libbed works of fiction, on the entertainment front they are quite good. Better than plenty of improv comedy i have seen over the years.
  • Options
    HYUFD, do you REALLY think it does NOT matter to the future of American democracy AND the world, if someone openly opining about the assassination of his challenger is re-elected President of the United States?

IF you REALLY do think that, then buddy, I am VERY sorry for you.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Counting chickens.

Nah, Mike's already got a profit locked up with his trades.

It is all dependent on when the market settles.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

FPT:

I would have gone with conservation of momentum for your second one, and that was not one of the three I had in mind.
    If you are in space measure the value of g from the person would do it.

One I was thinking of was to supply a know amount of heat to them and see how much their temperature changes.
    Then I had your first one.

Another is to offer to give them the thermometer if they will tell you their weight ...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    @brokenwheel

At every age, women are more likely than thein men-folk to go for Biden over Trump. At every education level, ditto.

Now, young women may be more anti-Trump than older ones, but that doesn't affect the point that the higher the proportion of women voters there are (currently 56%), the harder it is for the President to get re-elected.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    To be fair, PPP is a Democratic polling firm. Other polls in Montana have shown a much larger Trump lead there. It is entirely possible that PPP are also selectively releasing polling that favours a narrative that they think favours their cause. In this case to encourage their supporters to go to the polls by believing that the Democrats are in with a shout. Even if they don't need Montana for the White House, there is a tight Senate race there, so Dems going to the polls in Montana does matter a lot in terms of the prospects of the Dems controlling the Senate.

I suggest that it's best at this point to discount all polling by conducted by companies that either have links to the respective parties (the likes of PPP, Trafalgar, Rasmussen) or which was commissioned by organisations which are strongly campaigning for either side.
    I think this is spot on: this is a poll designed to get Democrats to the poll to vote for Bullock under the mistaken impression that Montana might tip at the General.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

Roy_G_Biv said:

FPT:

I would have gone with conservation of momentum for your second one, and that was not one of the three I had in mind.

One I was thinking of was to supply a know amount of heat to them and see how much their temperature changes.

Another is to offer to give them the thermometer if they will tell you their weight ...
    Bomb calorimetry?

Stick it in their middle, kill 'em and measure the time taken to return to RT?
  • Options

As ad-libbed works of fiction, on the entertainment front they are quite good. Better than plenty of improv comedy i have seen over the years.
    Dreaming out loud about your opponent being assassinated - in a country where FOUR presidents have been killed in just this manner, and five others have been targeted by would-be assassin - is WAY beyond the pale, even for a total piece of scum like Trumpsky.

AND if YOU find it funny in this context, then I question just where your head is at?
  • Options
    Downing Street is privately working on the assumption that the second wave of coronavirus will be more deadly than the first, with the death toll remaining high throughout the winter.

An internal analysis of the projected course of the second wave is understood to show deaths peaking at a lower level than in the spring but remaining at that level for weeks or even months.

It is understood that the projection – provided by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) – has led to intense lobbying from Sir Patrick Vallance and other Government advisers for Boris Johnson to take more drastic action.

"It's going to be worse this time, more deaths," said one well-placed source. "That is the projection that has been put in front of the Prime Minister, and he is now being put under a lot of pressure to lock down again."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/27/second-covid-wave-forecast-deadly-first/
  • Options

geoffw said:

Counting chickens.

Nah, Mike's already got a profit locked up with his trades.

It is all dependent on when the market settles.
    Won't amount of profit depend in part on which of his guesses (and counter-guesses) pan out?
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Roy_G_Biv said:

FPT:

Ah yes, the same as the old barometer / building height. Bribe the owner to tell you. Can't believe I forgot that one.

Not sure how you propose to measure g with a thermometer though.
    EDIT oh you mean between the person and the thermometer. I thought you meant earth g, no wonder I was confused. Good one.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

Downing Street is privately working on the assumption that the second wave of coronavirus will be more deadly than the first, with the death toll remaining high throughout the winter.

An internal analysis of the projected course of the second wave is understood to show deaths peaking at a lower level than in the spring but remaining at that level for weeks or even months.

It is understood that the projection – provided by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) – has led to intense lobbying from Sir Patrick Vallance and other Government advisers for Boris Johnson to take more drastic action.

"It's going to be worse this time, more deaths," said one well-placed source. "That is the projection that has been put in front of the Prime Minister, and he is now being put under a lot of pressure to lock down again."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/27/second-covid-wave-forecast-deadly-first/

Great. As we're past the watershed, I'll simply 'Fuck this year'.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,619
    There are things you shouldn't joke about at certain times in certain places that could lead to people for instance drinking bleach or inciting violence.
  • Options
    Well that's OK then. Are you sure all his supporters are in on the joke?
  • Options

Vaccine not incoming anytime soon. I notice from that article, it appears Macron is going to lockdown France for a month.
  • Options
    kjh said:

There are things you shouldn't joke about at certain times in certain places that could lead to people for instance drinking bleach or inciting violence.
    Well if you drink bleach first you're unlikely to commit any violence.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

FPT:

Bomb calorimetry?

Stick it in their middle, kill 'em and measure the time taken to return to RT?
    If you're allowed a spring as well, you could have the person bounce off the spring, and measure how much the spring heats up. What's that called, Young's modulus?
  • Options

This "projected course" comes from another run of the outstanding prediction engine that is the Ferguson model?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Maybe some Brits have such strong belief in the Shy Trumpskite vote, because they are afraid to let their neighbours know they are backing him, either as supporters OR bettors?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

If...

It is a steal.

When can you think of a national election where the polls have been more than four points wrong in recent times?

2019 UK - basically right
    2018 Midterms - basically right, maybe Dems very slightly underrated
    2017 UK - Labour did three points better
    2017 France - Macron outperformed by 1%, Le Pen underperformed by 1%
    2016 - Brexit - Polls were four points out
    2016 US - Polls were one point out
    2012 US - Polls were three points out
    2008 US - Polls were basically right
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Well that's OK then. Are you sure all his supporters are in on the joke?
    Since he was saying it would be bad as Kamala Harris was worse I don't think you need to worry about them doing anything.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

HYUFD, do you REALLY think it does NOT matter to the future of American democracy AND the world, if someone openly opining about the assassination of his challenger is re-elected President of the United States?

As you have just pointed out Presidents do die in office and some have been shot unfortunately, it may be in poor taste but he did not say he hoped Biden was shot he said Harris would become President if he was and, his target was actually Harris and her leftwing record not Biden
  • Options

Dreaming out loud about your opponent being assassinated - in a country where FOUR presidents have been killed in just this manner, and five others have been targeted by would-be assassin - is WAY beyond the pale, even for a total piece of scum like Trumpsky.

AND if YOU find it funny in this context, then I question just where your head is at?
    I wasn't talking about that specific statement. I meant in general I view his rally speeches as these comical ad-libbed stream of BS that is on the level of the absurdity of the likes of Comedy Store Players.
  • Options
    NOT a joking matter. NOT in the United States. NOT for a sitting President.

Trumpsky is the joke - a VERY VERY VERY BAD ONE
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    kle4 said:

As I said, this is what Swiss officials were quietly relaying some time ago, to their population-in-denial. The 2nd wave is going to be longer, nastier, and deathlier. BRACE
  • Options
    Be still my girlish laughter.

Dunno if you were around in 2016 but there was a guy who claimed that a Trump supporting state official who described Michelle Obama as an 'ape in high heels' was only joking.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,376
    edited October 2020
    kle4 said:

And very likely 'fuck 2021' as well.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

He know's what he is doing; President Kamala, the most liberal-voting senator, is going down like a cup of cold sick in the swing states.
  • Options

Dunno if you were around in 2016 but there was a guy who claimed that a Trump supporting state official who described Michelle Obama as an 'ape in high heels' was only joking.
    So one Trump supporter said something bad 4 years ago, so we should all get offended by this now. Ok.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    kle4 said:

If that is right we need to worry that next year will be worse.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I think the investment in my home gym is going to be money well spent.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

2BpickyZfck, he is talking about the 25th amendment which does clarify in passing what happens when the president dies but is mainly about incapacitation, so by implication he means shot but not killed.
  • Options
    As an aside, I'm glad my business is in Arizona. During summer, the virus is rampant as everyone is inside, and during winter they can barbeque and eat outside and the virus recedes.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

He know's what he is doing; President Kamala, the most liberal-voting senator, is going down like a cup of cold sick in the swing states.
    Source?
  • Options

This "projected course" comes from another run of the outstanding prediction engine that is the Ferguson model?
    Wasn't his prediction, in the end, quite accurate?

--AS
  • Options
    edited October 2020

There must be enormous overlap with "normal" flu and other winter related deaths in those figures.
  • Options

Your evidence for this?

Besides fact that the number of Americans who vote for President based on their running mate has NEVER been large.

Fact that Spiro Agnew and Dan Quayle were national jokes did NOT stop Nixon from being re-elected OR Bush the Elder from being elected (his defeat for re-election NOT being due to DQ).
  • Options

In what world is Ex Prosecutor Kamala Harris even in the top 10% of liberal voting Senators?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    On Topic Biden 1.51
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ditto.

Can someone recommend me some decent running shoes, my normal Nikes just can't cope.

I've turned into Forrest Gump since lockdown.
  • Options

So one Trump supporter said something bad 4 years ago, so we should all get offended by this now. Ok.
    Nope, just 'he's clearly joking' is one of the most pishily meretricious defences going.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

2BpickyZfck, he is talking about the 25th amendment which does clarify in passing what happens when the president dies but is mainly about incapacitation, so by implication he means shot but not killed.
    IshmaelZ said:

Reagan was shot and Bush Snr took over briefly while he was in hospital
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2020
    rcs1000 said:

In what world is Ex Prosecutor Kamala Harris even in the top 10% of liberal voting Senators?
    https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1320520061573095427
  • Options
    alex_ said:

There must be enormous overlap with "normal" flu and other winter related deaths in those figures.
    Shhh. Don't let the big secret out.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ditto.

Can someone recommend me some decent running shoes, my normal Nikes just can't cope.

Or Super Hands (out of Peep show) when he kicks the crack.
  • Options
    Wasn't Obama the "most Liberal voting senator"? Didn't seem to do him much harm in the swing states...
  • Options
    Here we go. The 'lock us all down now" brigade are back.

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1321213111874031617
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,619
    edited October 2020

kjh said:

Well if you drink bleach first you're unlikely to commit any violence.
    You are relying there on the people he influences to do these things being complete idiots and not just half wits.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kle4 said:

Badminton Horse Trials said today that next year's event (5-9 May) will be behind closed doors. I had a lot of hope pinned on that being the first return to normal thing that was going to happen.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

If...

It's a steal if the polls are wrong by a reasonable amount too.
  • Options

Nope, just 'he's clearly joking' is one of the most pishily meretricious defences going.
    His point was that Biden might not last the term and if that happens then Harris would become president.

There was no way of him saying that without the terminally offended complaining about it.

If he'd said Biden is old and likely to drop dead at any moment (which looks pretty likely judging from recent footage), people would be pretending to get offended by that instead.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    LadyG said:

kle4 said:

As I said, this is what Swiss officials were quietly relaying some time ago, to their population-in-denial. The 2nd wave is going to be longer, nastier, and deathlier. BRACE
    It would be good to have an explanation instead of ex-cathedra pronouncements.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,038
    edited October 2020

kle4 said:

Ditto.

My Sauconys coped quite well when I had a gym to go to. They're a bit garish which I know may be a problem for you.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I think this is spot on: this is a poll designed to get Democrats to the poll to vote for Bullock under the mistaken impression that Montana might tip at the General.
    I will not take this scurilous reframing of of Biden's Montana surge lying down.

This is real hard evidence of Biden taking Montana for 100% certain and the money I placed on him doing so at 12/1 has nothing to do with my prognostications.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Badminton Horse Trials said today that next year's event (5-9 May) will be behind closed doors. I had a lot of hope pinned on that being the first return to normal thing that was going to happen.
    There go the planned elections as well. I'm still expecting them to at least defer the scheduled 2021 ones and just do the delayed 2020 ones.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    The Trump campaign is trying hard to turn this into a gaffe.

https://twitter.com/TVNewsHQ/status/1321208404896030720
  • Options

FPT:

Wouldn't a bath of water work best?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ditto.

My Sauconys coped quite well when I had a gym to go to. They're a bit garish which I know may be a problem for you.
    Ta, I'm sure they must do something suitably sober.
  • Options
    When's the devastating tell all interview between Tucker Carlsen and Tony Bobbit due?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

It would be good to have an explanation instead of ex-cathedra pronouncements.

Don't hold your breath. The "model says" is about as explanatory as we little people are going to get.
  • Options

Here we go. The 'lock us all down now" brigade are back.

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1321213111874031617

I doubt Boris mps would agree to it
  • Options

His point was that Biden might not last the term and if that happens then Harris would become president.

There was no way of him saying that without the terminally offended complaining about it.

If he'd said Biden is old and likely to drop dead at any moment (which looks pretty likely judging from recent footage), people would be pretending to get offended by that instead.
    Can you point to where Trump has merrily speculated about his own death. Surely just as relevant, since he's the other main candidate, and a fat, wheezing bag of shit?
  • Options

The Trump campaign is trying hard to turn this into a gaffe.

https://twitter.com/TVNewsHQ/status/1321208404896030720

What's the context? I'm Joe Biden's husband?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

If that is right we need to worry that next year will be worse.
    Vaccines are coming. Have faith people,
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

There go the planned elections as well. I'm still expecting them to at least defer the scheduled 2021 ones and just do the delayed 2020 ones.
    Surely with month's still to go they've got time to put in place 100% postal vote elections, if necessary haven't they? Not that i see why it should be necessary. Or are they claiming that campaigning difficulty is the problem?

Although they could obviously have them in July or august without too much difficulty, even if things in general don't improve.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    alex_ said:

When's the devastating tell all interview between Tucker Carlsen and Tony Bobbit due?

8pm ET apparently.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    In that theamgreatness Florida poll is the following :

Already voted

Trump 36
    Biden 83
    Others 4

(Total 127)

5.2 million had voted at the start of the fieldwork, 6 million by the end date.

Remaining 2 party voters split 156 Trump / 92 Biden

Total 253

There's simply not that many voters left !

This discussion has been closed.