Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump acolyte Lindsey Graham to fall victim to the blue wave? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Allentown
    Billy Joel

Well we're living here in Allentown
    And they're closing all the factories down
    Out in Bethlehem they're killing time
    Filling out forms
    Standing in line

Well our fathers fought the Second World War
    Spent their weekends on the Jersey Shore
    Met our mothers in the U.S.O.
    Asked them to dance
    Danced with them slow

And we're living here in Allentown
    But the restlessness was handed down
    And it's getting very hard to stay
    Ay-ay-ay
    Whoh-oh-oh

Well we're waiting here in Allentown
    For the Pennsylvania we never found
    For the promises our teachers gave
    If we worked hard
    If we behaved

So the graduations hang on the wall
    But they never really helped us at all
    No they never taught us what was real
    Iron and coke
    And chromium steel

And we're waiting here in Allentown
    But they've taken all the coal from the ground
    And the union people crawled away
    Ay-ay-ay

Every child had a pretty good shot
    To get at least as far as their old man got
    But something happened on the way to that place
    They threw an American flag in our face
    Ay-ay-ace
    Whoh-oh-oh

Well I'm living here in Allentown
    And it's hard to keep a good man down
    But I won't be getting up today
    Ay-ay-ay

Ay-ay-ay
    Whoh-oh-oh
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,653
    isam said:
    We haven't got Lockdown. That could just as easily be the queue for Wetherspoons.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720

Hold music must be the most irritating thing known to man. Currently on hold and they've chosen to play a snippet of music (about 20 seconds of a tune) that then abruptly stops, goes silent for a second then restarts. Heard the same snippet of music about 40 times already and who knows how long will be on hold for? Absolutely jarring and irritating.

I'd far rather silence and an intermittent voiceover of "your call is important to us" despite the fact that if the call was truly important to them then they'd answer the phone.

I like it when you hear someone reading the news headlines. At least it is useful.

It's when you unaccountably get cut-off after listening to musak for 30 minutes - that's the worst.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    FYI, for those betting on Texas turning Blue:

"But in counties that supported President Donald Trump by more than 20 percentage points in 2016, at least 37% of people already cast their ballots. In counties that went for Democrat Hillary Clinton by similar margins, meanwhile, at least 36% of people already voted as of Friday afternoon."

(source: https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/texas/texas-massive-early-voting-numbers-have-persisted-leading-to-predictions-of-overall-turnout-unseen-in-years)

Doesn't mean there haven't been shifts but FYI
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,832

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Daniel Hannan has had another vision of the future.

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1320449587434397698

In all the debate re: fish & Brexit, has anyone noticed that worldwide there is a HUGE problem with depleted fish stocks and declining fisheries?

OR is the North Sea & eastern North Atlantic immune from such environmental problems?
    Problem here is that the EU played a major role in stopping, or at least slowing, overfishing. Now we don't know what will happen. Or of the fish can be exported at all, come to think of it.
    Unusually, my wife and I, ,lunching out the other day were offered haddock and chips.Normally, of course it's cod, which don't swim in British waters, whereas haddock do.
    Sign of the time.perhaps.
    My venison was excellent; did ask if it was local (muntjac) but the waitress didn't know.
    Interesting! (Actually, the default fish in Scotland is haddock. Unless in Montrose where a 'fush' in 'fush supper' is salmon.)

Now if they start offering battered scampi/langoustines rather than cod ...
    Haddock is the standard offering for Fish & Chips in Leeds. They don't trust cod round those parts - full of worms!
    Not surprising - anisakid nematodes are very nasty if they get in you and a chance to grow up big and strong.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

On Lindsay Graham, Nate Silver had a piece on why it is so difficult for the Democrats to get over the line in SC.

I think if he is going to be defeated, it would need a larger than usual Black turnout to do so. There are few signs anywhere in the US that the Black vote is seeing a big upswing vs 2016

The AA early vote is down marginally (percentage-wise) in North Carolina, so one would expect something similar in South Carolina.
    Trump won NC by about 160,000 votes.

So far 85,000 people who did vote in 2012 and did not vote in 2016 have voted early in 2020
    What's their party registration ?

Don't forget to add on the 18 - 21 year olds too !
    Haven't broken down those peeps but of the people who have voted in 2020 but didn't vote in 2016 we have
    {'DEM': 238817,
    'REP': 156168,
    'OTHER': 220858}
  • Options
    Would they not be better praying for Trump to start being Christian? I guess these events will at least increase their chances of meeting their maker sooner than expected.

https://twitter.com/spulliam/status/1320739716984197121?s=20
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

Carnyx said:

In all the debate re: fish & Brexit, has anyone noticed that worldwide there is a HUGE problem with depleted fish stocks and declining fisheries?

OR is the North Sea & eastern North Atlantic immune from such environmental problems?
    Problem here is that the EU played a major role in stopping, or at least slowing, overfishing. Now we don't know what will happen. Or of the fish can be exported at all, come to think of it.
    Unusually, my wife and I, ,lunching out the other day were offered haddock and chips.Normally, of course it's cod, which don't swim in British waters, whereas haddock do.
    My venison was excellent; did ask if it was local (muntjac) but the waitress didn't know.
    Blinks where did you get the idea cod dont swim in uk waters, true not in the quantities they did but its certainly a natural habitat for them
  • Options
    Big Nasa announcement coming up. They have found the Moon Nazi's base from Iron Sky.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Blinks where did you get the idea cod dont swim in uk waters, true not in the quantities they did but its certainly a natural habitat for them
    Nevertheless I believe about 75-80% of UK consumed cod is imported?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Indeed.

British fishermen don't catch much cod in the British waters of the channel at the very least, that much is true. But that is because the French have the quotas for them under the CFP - not because the fish aren't there.

Hence the misleading claim that we don't eat the fish that our fishermen catch - yes that is true but it is true because our fishermen aren't allowed to catch the fish in our waters in the first place, not because the fish aren't there.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

French fishermen catch fish in UK waters, classed as a French product and then they export it to the UK.

Genius solution for the UK to "import" a product from our own waters!
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    isam said:
    I have to say, "Jobs lost. Businesses destroyed. Lives ruined." is a bold platform for the Brexit Party to stand on.
    Hats off to them though.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989

Would they not be better praying for Trump to start being Christian? I guess these events will at least increase their chances of meeting their maker sooner than expected.

Shocked to discover they are opposed to the wearing of face masks.
    Since it plays such a pivotal role in both the Bible and the Constitution.
  • Options
    The Congressional polling is apocalyptic for Trump

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1320748939751026690?s=19
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

We just need to persuade them to start bringing venomous snakes to their services ...
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Mal557 said:

HYUFD said:

Well I had a good laugh

Rasmussen National poll 47-48 Trump +1

Full details here 'Trump earns 84% support among Republicans. Biden has 77% of the Democrat vote and leads by seven among voters not affiliated with either major party.'

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1320731924328042498?s=20
    Looking at those figures, clearly Biden is too low 77% of Dems sounds wrong . So the question more is are they right about Trump......I still think the actual national is around +5/+6 Biden but again its a case of is he racking up votes in Texas, Georgia , even Alaska, but not in the really tight swing states.

Also in regards the size of crowds, Trumps base are always going to show up in force, even if he was on 35% not 45% so a huge crowd in say NH which he only narrowly lost last time means very little, Enthusiasm and large crowds are baked in, and prove nothing people didnt already know.
    I am still finding it hard not to be spooked by those crowds tbh.

Question to PB Tories: Did the 2017 Corbyn rallies spook you at all?
    What was more spooking was people singing "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" bizarrely. It showed that he had genuinely jumped the barrier and was becoming a (fairly) popular figure. I just wish I had trusted my instincts on that on the 2017 betting :(
    I met Jezbollah in Jan 2016 when he came to Stockton when we had a council by-election. He was very softly spoken and grandfatherly - the point where having backed him ("give this guy guy a go") the shine was already rubbing off and "is that all he is" sinking in.

So when he turned into some kind of yoof symbol I wondered if any of them actually had a clue who he is in the real world. By the time of the 2017 election most of the long term activists avoided him like the plague and when we wrote Paul Williams' unexpectedly successful election campaign we didn't mention the leader once.

By the time I left in 2019 Paul Williams was laughing and joking with Matt Vickers that Matt was the one wanting Corbyn to come to Teesside and he was the one wanting him to stay well away. Corbyn did come. And ride a bus in an utterly bizarre campaign event that the machine decided not to tell any of the local MPs about as they were all the enemy.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

That was +27 for the GOP candidate in the Congressional race in 2016 and +10 in 2018.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,359
    edited October 2020

IanB2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

French fishermen catch fish in UK waters, classed as a French product and then they export it to the UK.

Tiny numbers of cod are caught in the Channel compared to total UK consumption.

The main issue is overfishing and migration of the fisheries north due to warming of the ocean.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited October 2020
    Alistair said:

Marries somewhat with the Florida 15th district I posted about earlier.

You're right though - Texas 3 is a very republican district.
  • Options
    Got through to a human, spoke to them for about a minute and then they have popped me back on hold while they try and contact someone else to deal with my issue. So now listening to a different piece of music, this one at least is interesting - smooth jazz - and at least the piece finishes before restarting rather than just resetting jarringly mid piece.

Smooth jazz isn't my mug of coffee normally but at least this isn't as irritating as fingernails dragging on a board.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

FYI, for those betting on Texas turning Blue:

"But in counties that supported President Donald Trump by more than 20 percentage points in 2016, at least 37% of people already cast their ballots. In counties that went for Democrat Hillary Clinton by similar margins, meanwhile, at least 36% of people already voted as of Friday afternoon."

(source: https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/texas/texas-massive-early-voting-numbers-have-persisted-leading-to-predictions-of-overall-turnout-unseen-in-years)

Doesn't mean there haven't been shifts but FYI

Be interesting to see if there have been relative differences in new voter registrations by county. As has been pointed out in relation to other states, a small fall in % turnout could in fact be a relative big rise in absolute numbers if there has been a big increase in RV.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Not much comes from France. Iceland, China, Norway, Russia and Germany top the table.
  • Options

I do love this. Trump is literally a modern day embodiment of the anti-Christ - the kind of abusive lying whoring fraud that Christ threw out of the temple. Yet these "Christians" will endorse him because Democrats are going to bring in post-birth abortions or something.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075
    edited October 2020
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That was +27 for the GOP candidate in the Congressional race in 2016 and +10 in 2018.
    It is in the Dallas suburbs (not classic white working class Trump territory) and I would expect Trump to now win Texas by less than 5% having won it by 9% in 2016 which was itself smaller than the 16% Romney won Texas by in 2012.

Texas does not much like Trump in contrast to the rustbelt, it is more suburban and Latino filled with relatively few white working class voters however he will still likely scrape home in the Lone Star State because of the partisan GOP vote there
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Interesting! (Actually, the default fish in Scotland is haddock. Unless in Montrose where a 'fush' in 'fush supper' is salmon.)

Haddock is the standard offering for Fish & Chips in Leeds. They don't trust cod round those parts - full of worms!
    And pansy northerners won't even eat the skin.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723

Allentown
    Billy Joel

Well we're living here in Allentown
    And they're closing all the factories down
    Out in Bethlehem they're killing time
    Filling out forms
    Standing in line

Well our fathers fought the Second World War
    Spent their weekends on the Jersey Shore
    Met our mothers in the U.S.O.
    Asked them to dance
    Danced with them slow

But the restlessness was handed down
    Ay-ay-ay
    Whoh-oh-oh

Well we're waiting here in Allentown
    For the Pennsylvania we never found
    For the promises our teachers gave
    If we worked hard
    If we behaved

So the graduations hang on the wall
    But they never really helped us at all
    No they never taught us what was real
    Iron and coke
    And chromium steel

And we're waiting here in Allentown
    But they've taken all the coal from the ground
    And the union people crawled away
    Ay-ay-ay

Every child had a pretty good shot
    To get at least as far as their old man got
    But something happened on the way to that place
    They threw an American flag in our face
    Ay-ay-ace
    Whoh-oh-oh

Well I'm living here in Allentown
    And it's hard to keep a good man down
    But I won't be getting up today
    Ay-ay-ay

Ay-ay-ay
    Whoh-oh-oh

• Options

Trump in Allentown? He's got to be fecking kidding!

Please explain the significance to the uninitiated.
    In addition to the Billy Joel song, it is where I spent a day on the Obama campaign in 2008 during the weekend of a work trip to the US.

Dems had turned up mob-handed from NJ to get voters registered. Mostly Latinos. There was also food and coffee!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It is in the Dallas suburbs (not classic white working class Trump territory) and I would expect Trump to now win Texas by less than 5% having won it by 9% in 2016 which was itself smaller than the 16% Romney won Texas by in 2012.

Texas does not much like Trump in contrast to the rustbelt, however he will still likely scrape home in the Lone Star State because of the partisan GOP vote there
    The partisan GOP vote that this poll suggests has very quickly evaporated?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
    slade said:

He's finally lost his mind.
    Perhaps not. When in Chile a few years ago I discovered that there is a thriving farmed salmon industry which makes use of every bit of the salmon. Apart from the flesh for eating, the skin is made into leather and the eyes are used to produce Vitamin E supplements.
    I went on a training course just after Brexit with an IT lad from a Co. Monaghan meat supplier. A very large proportion of their profit margin was in grinding down the waste for protein supplements, the market and price for which had exploded.
  • Options
    Latest YouGov Times poll:

In hindsight Brexit right 38% (-1); wrong 50% (+2).

F'work 21-22.10 (ch since 6-7.10). Record lead of 'wrong' over 'right'.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Texas does not much like Trump in contrast to the rustbelt, however he will still likely scrape home in the Lone Star State because of the partisan GOP vote there
    Indeed but Trump still has a 3% average lead in Texas overall, that would be the smallest lead for the GOP candidate in Texas since 1992 but Trump would still win it nonetheless

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/tx/texas_trump_vs_biden-6818.html.

This year Trump's vote looks remarkably efficient, he will be trounced in New York and California, will scrape home in Texas and is neck and neck in Florida and those are the 4 most populous states in the US by far, however he is also still competitive in the rustbelt swing states as well.

It is therefore possible he could lose the national popular vote by 3-4% and still scrape home in the EC
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Indeed but Trump still has a 3% average lead in Texas overall, that would be the smallest lead for the GOP candidate in Texas since 1992 but Trump would still win it nonetheless

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/tx/texas_trump_vs_biden-6818.html
    Since when did you rely on the "average lead" as some kind of bellwether?
  • Options

I do love this. Trump is literally a modern day embodiment of the anti-Christ - the kind of abusive lying whoring fraud that Christ threw out of the temple. Yet these "Christians" will endorse him because Democrats are going to bring in post-birth abortions or something.
    I know we should be careful about "X is behaving just like the Nazis" comments, but isn't this just like the Nazi's National Reich Church?
  • Options
    Here's a tweet from today, four years ago, that I missed at the time:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/791263939015376902
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Amazes me that there are 38% of people that are still deluding themselves. I guess they still believe in Father Christmas and fairies at the end of the garden too. Cambridge Analytica certainly knew a thing or too about fooling some of the people all of the time.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984
    IanB2 said:

twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/791263939015376902

Good lord.
  • Options

I love the nonsense about post-birth abortions - makes me think of the early South Park episode where Cartman's Mom seeks a "42nd Trimester" abortion.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Texas has added 1.8 million voters to its electoral rolls since 2016, and 300,000 of those in the last two weeks. One survey found that 60% of these new voters (unclear if that is of the 1.8m or 300k) are either under 25 or 'people of color'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/10/13/election-2020-texas-sets-record-new-voter-registrations-since-2016/3644506001/

I think we have to be careful either of thinking that this is the same electorate as the last cycle or that it is very significantly changed, although either might be true.
  • Options

I love the nonsense about post-birth abortions - makes me think of the early South Park episode where Cartman's Mom seeks a "42nd Trimester" abortion.
    There's videos of it on LiveLeak if you want to see it happening.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    IanB2 said:

She really was insufferably crap wasn't she.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/tx/texas_trump_vs_biden-6818.html.

This year Trump's vote looks remarkably efficient, he will be trounced in New York and California, will scrape home in Texas and is neck and neck in Florida and those are the 4 most populous states in the US by far, however he is also still competitive in the rustbelt swing states as well.

It is therefore possible he could lose the national popular vote by 3-4% and still scrape home in the EC
    He's only competitive in the rustbelt swing states if you believe Trafalgar. Otherwise Biden is far ahead.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,359
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/tx/texas_trump_vs_biden-6818.html
    Since when did you rely on the "average lead" as some kind of bellwether?
    When it's from RCP, so better for Trump than the 538 average, and there's no poll from Trafalgar to give a more Trump-friendly score.
  • Options
    Slight problem with that video is that I thought he was dull and boring and yet now I am beginning to think that under that boring exterior perhaps he is actually quite cool? !!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Strip out the "don't knows", that's 57:43. What are the odds on hitting a decisive "this was a mistake" just as we transition to whatever happens next?
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:
    I have to say, "Jobs lost. Businesses destroyed. Lives ruined." is a bold platform for the Brexit Party to stand on.
    Hats off to them though.
    It is the only way they can hope to differentiate themselves from Bozo the Clown's Brexit Party-Lite
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

Hold music must be the most irritating thing known to man. Currently on hold and they've chosen to play a snippet of music (about 20 seconds of a tune) that then abruptly stops, goes silent for a second then restarts. Heard the same snippet of music about 40 times already and who knows how long will be on hold for? Absolutely jarring and irritating.

I'd far rather silence and an intermittent voiceover of "your call is important to us" despite the fact that if the call was truly important to them then they'd answer the phone.

First time in ages I have been on hold today.. to the water company as our bill came and apparently the two of us and a toddler are using 160% of the water that a household of five usually do. £352, fuck me!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266
    The politics of envy.

A self-made man, who just happened to marry an heiress.
  • Options
    The last thing you want is successful people running the country.

If Labour get in they'll soon put a stop to that.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

He's only competitive in the rustbelt swing states if you believe Trafalgar. Otherwise Biden is far ahead.
    Biden is 5% ahead in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, Trump is 0.6% ahead in Ohio, if Trump wins 2 of those states he will likely be re elected. In 2016 Clinton was 6.5% ahead on average in Wisconsin, Trump won the state

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elections/trump-vs-biden-top-battleground-states/
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/oh/ohio_trump_vs_biden-6765.html
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/wi/wisconsin_trump_vs_clinton-5659.html
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,220
    isam said:

First time in ages I have been on hold today.. to the water company as our bill came and apparently the two of us and a toddler are using 160% of the water that a household of five usually do. £352, fuck me!
    Leak somewhere (possibly after the meter, but before the house). Do you have records of the usage over the last few years?
  • Options
    This Tier 3 thing is taking far too long to sort out.

Just finally been announced officially that Warrington is going into Tier 3, was kind of inevitable weeks ago and both Liverpool City Region and Greater Manchester that sandwich Warrington (its contiguous with both of those) were already in Tier 3.

May as well have locked down the whole North West region at once rather than it seems taking turns to lockdown.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,280
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

OTOH if he narrowly loses Texas and Florida the EC bias is gone and possibly flips the other way.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,723

Good old fashioned idolatry.
    Though rather than the Golden Calf, it's now the Orange Mooncalf.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

OTOH if he narrowly loses Texas and Florida the EC bias is gone and possibly flips the other way.
    True but then he would have lost anyway, it means Trump has a chance of a very narrow win or a landslide loss with likely little in between
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,047
    isam said:

Very possibly you've got a drip in one or more of your toilet cisterns –– I had this and ran up a similarly massive bill. Worth looking inside as it amounts to several litres of wasted water each day and is really hard to spot!

Good luck.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

We sell the skins to deluded southerners for £40 a plate. And they think they re getting a bargain.
  • Options

The politics of envy.

A self-made man, who just happened to marry an heiress.
    I thought they'd be happy with the woman being the bread-winner?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Biden is 5% ahead in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, Trump is 0.6% ahead in Ohio, if Trump wins 2 of those states he will likely be re elected. In 2016 Clinton was 6.5% ahead on average in Wisconsin, Trump won the state

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elections/trump-vs-biden-top-battleground-states/
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/oh/ohio_trump_vs_biden-6765.html
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/wi/wisconsin_trump_vs_clinton-5659.html
    In case you didn't realise, those averages include Trafalgar.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

No that's not right.

If the Democrats win Texas and Florida while losing the popular vote (or neutral on PV) then the EC bias is gone and possibly flips the other way.

If the Democrats only narrowly take those because they're winning the popular vote by 8% then the EC bias is still there.

The issue for the Republicans though is that Texas is trending purple and within a decade it could theoretically go to the Democrats on a neutral popular vote.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

True but then he would have lost anyway, it means Trump has a chance of a very narrow win or a landslide loss with likely little in between
    That's exactly what 538 is saying, and yet you deride them so much.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

As they should, Trafalgar was right in 2016 in the rustbelt swing states
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Am I the only one who wants Trump to win the popular vote and lose the EC?
    On second thoughts, I might die laughing if that happened.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

She really was insufferably crap wasn't she.
    Even Jo Swinson never wished herself happy birthday...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,047

IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

We sell the skins to deluded southerners for £40 a plate. And they think they re getting a bargain.
    Nope, you are just fussy eaters up there.

It really is quite remarkable how fussy many northerners are about food.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

As they should, Trafalgar was right in 2016 in the rustbelt swing states
    My point, if you had bothered to read it, was that the races are only close if you believe Trafalgar. Otherwise they are not. Including Trafalgar in the average is therefore something completely different.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

isam said:

Leak somewhere (possibly after the meter, but before the house). Do you have records of the usage over the last few years?
    Cheers, we have only lived here 16 months. Oct-April was an estimate and just the average for a 3 person house. We did a check by reading the meter, not using the water for 2 hours then re reading and it hadn't moved, so maybe we just use too much water!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Good to see that you’ve played your 50:50.

Now you just need to phone a friend.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,723

IanB2 said:

Strip out the "don't knows", that's 57:43. What are the odds on hitting a decisive "this was a mistake" just as we transition to whatever happens next?
    Just after, almost certainly.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I like it when you hear someone reading the news headlines. At least it is useful.
    Top tip for ultrasecure bank vault designers: put a tv screen in the vault, run CNN live on it and point the security camera at it. This both gives the guy monitoring it something to hold his attention, and precludes that real bummer of a situation where it turns out that he never saw the baddies making off with the loot because George Clooney switched the monitor from real time feed to playing a tape.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Cheers, we have only lived here 16 months. Oct-April was an estimate and just the average for a 3 person house. We did a check by reading the meter, not using the water for 2 hours then re reading and it hadn't moved, so maybe we just use too much water!
    Or the opening, handover reading was wrong?
  • Options

Who made the advert, and who are they a front for?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Just after, almost certainly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHktZVpxdgs
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,220
    isam said:

isam said:

See also the other comment re cisterns. Particularly a problem with the modern button flush type - they can leak like buggers (constant flow down the pan). Best way to check this is completely empty the toilet and dry it, then see if any water leaks down.

Or you could just stop irrigating half the county with the hose... :)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Good old fashioned idolatry.
    Though rather than the Golden Calf, it's now the Orange Mooncalf.
    Perhaps Trump asks his hookers to call him Mooby before they make him Golden...
  • Options

I know we should be careful about "X is behaving just like the Nazis" comments, but isn't this just like the Nazi's National Reich Church?
    Indeed. These people are to the cause of Christianity what Henry VIII was to monogamy. It is a belief set that they contort in order to justify their own prejudice.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,095

This guy.

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1320743316934283265?s=21
  • Options
    If anyone is interested Nasa have found water on the Moon. Which once again makes science fiction merely science fact that hasn't happened yet. Want a moon base to refuel deep space missions from? Build it next to the water ice.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,018
    IanB2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

We eat Norwegian cod, IIRC.
  • Options

Strikingly different tone from the previous "sick of this multi-millionaire tax avoider trying to guilt trip us all about free school meals."

One concludes you like your filthy rich to come with a "Privately Schooled Tory Hedge Fund Manager" wrapper rather than the "Black Working Class Footballer" variety.
  • Options

This guy.

He is clearly a cretin. All that advert will do is make people that already vote Labour vote Labour. As mentioned earlier, it actually made me think that maybe I had underestimated Sunak.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

The National one, I suspect. "What are they trying to hide?" is designed to invite a response about internationalist conspiracies.

I assume what is captioned as his Kensington mansion is actually his country house, unless he is the Queen in disguise.
  • Options

If anyone is interested Nasa have found water on the Moon. Which once again makes science fiction merely science fact that hasn't happened yet. Want a moon base to refuel deep space missions from? Build it next to the water ice.

There's supposedly plans for that within the next decade aren't there? Though I'll file that in expectations along with commercial nuclear fusion - it is the future and always will be.

A solution for dealing with the radiation on the moon seems as much an issue as the existence of water for long-term habitation.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Update from Europe, my wife's best friend has got the Rona in Switzerland, she had to wait 5 days for her test result to come through and basically no support is given to people who need to isolate the same as here. She fell ill in Zurich after visiting her parents, now she's stuck there. Not a big deal for her to get a hotel or Airbnb, but organising the test was a mission and they don't have a postal testing system so despite being told to isolate she had to go to get a test and it was miles away which meant taking a taxi despite having symptoms, there was no option to get someone to come and take a swab or for isolated transport to be organised to take her to get a test.

It does seem that testing all over Europe is pretty crap and disorganised.
  • Options
    Why is the German stock market down 3.57% when FTSE is down only 1.04%
  • Options

This guy.

He is clearly a cretin. All that advert will do is make people that already vote Labour vote Labour. As mentioned earlier, it actually made me think that maybe I had underestimated Sunak.
    Might appeal to Red Wallers.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Update from Europe, my wife's best friend has got the Rona in Switzerland, she had to wait 5 days for her test result to come through and basically no support is given to people who need to isolate the same as here. She fell ill in Zurich after visiting her parents, now she's stuck there. Not a big deal for her to get a hotel or Airbnb, but organising the test was a mission and they don't have a postal testing system so despite being told to isolate she had to go to get a test and it was miles away which meant taking a taxi despite having symptoms, there was no option to get someone to come and take a swab or for isolated transport to be organised to take her to get a test.

It does seem that testing all over Europe is pretty crap and disorganised.

You are Dido Harding and I claim my £5
  • Options
    Leading scientists have called for an urgent change in control of the UK’s struggling test and trace system warning it will fail to prevent a third wave of infection unless it is taken over by the NHS.

Independent Sage, a group of scientists set up to scrutinise the government’s coronavirus response, said the £12bn system should be removed from the control of Dido Harding and the private companies Deloitte and Serco. They want laboratories to be taken over by the NHS and tracing to be run by local directors of public health with the money currently going into private contracts redirected.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724
    IanB2 said:

Bit late now though.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,237

SAP profit warning
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leading scientists have called for an urgent change in control of the UK’s struggling test and trace system warning it will fail to prevent a third wave of infection unless it is taken over by the NHS.

Independent Sage, a group of scientists set up to scrutinise the government’s coronavirus response, said the £12bn system should be removed from the control of Dido Harding and the private companies Deloitte and Serco. They want laboratories to be taken over by the NHS and tracing to be run by local directors of public health with the money currently going into private contracts redirected.

Hasn't PHE been singularly crap at raising testing levels?
  • Options

There's supposedly plans for that within the next decade aren't there? Though I'll file that in expectations along with commercial nuclear fusion - it is the future and always will be.

A solution for dealing with the radiation on the moon seems as much an issue as the existence of water for long-term habitation.
    Allegedly Nasa will be on the Moon in October 2024, though none of the vehicles needed have yet been flown / built. I know that the Apollo programme flew along in 1968/9 but that was spending a £fuckton of money and national focus. Not sure this quite has the same impetus...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

PHE only labs....the people who couldn't manage more than 20k tests a day...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

This is the same group of Labour supporting advisers no doubt and set up by whom, themselves
  • Options
    Cicero said:

SAP profit warning
    Thank you
This discussion has been closed.