Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May tops Boris for the first time in CONHome survey

Comments

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Morning all: just catching up from the office.

@compouter1
    Latest YouGov / Sunday Times results 20th December - Con 34%, Lab 40%, LD 9%, UKIP 11%; APP -26

My education: won scholarship to public school but went to excellent and inspiring local Grammar (being an only child my mother did not want me to board). State scholarship in Chemistry, Chem Eng at Leeds, followed by Marketing MA and MBA at Harvard - last two employer sponsored.

Surprised at Clegg pronouncing against one of the most popular public concerns - immigration - is it the season for lemmings?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

✨Billy Bixby✨ ‏@billybixby 48s

Something vaguely homophobic about Anna Soubry joking that Nigel likes a finger up the ass. Good old Tories.

It is so much of a PR disaster in so many ways that the other parties couldn't have thought it up. I am now considering either Crosby or Messina are sleepers for the Labour Party.

This has Waldorf and Stadler written all over it.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

Mick - I think in the public conscience when an MP says another MP likes someone else to put a finger up his arse, there is not much else that can top it.

Oh ye of little faith. ;)

You underestimate (or overestimate) MPs at your peril.
  • Options
    Point-of-order:

I notice that Sven's website is listed in OGH's 'Links' column. [Not very useful but....] Given that this site's ethos is to act as an "independent" area for politics and betting analysis I'd suggest Junior has words with the 'Editor-in-[Mis]Chief'....

EiT: I need to install your plugin following an RSA downgrade. Link please... :)
  • Options
    Financier said:

@compouter1
    Latest YouGov / Sunday Times results 20th December - Con 34%, Lab 40%, LD 9%, UKIP 11%; APP -26

My education: won scholarship to public school but went to excellent and inspiring local Grammar (being an only child my mother did not want me to board). State scholarship in Chemistry, Chem Eng at Leeds, followed by Marketing MA and MBA at Harvard - last two employer sponsored.

Surprised at Clegg pronouncing against one of the most popular public concerns - immigration - is it the season for lemmings?

Subsection that one to a pulp Financier.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,937
    DavidL said:

I can see Theresa May as leader although she has never struck me as particularly quick witted or light on her feet. Given a solidly prepared message and a bit of time she does as well as anyone in the cabinet.

But I am surprised that Osborne has not improved his standing somewhat. He is very closely tied to Cameron and if Cameron got hammered in 2015 he would clearly go as well. But if Cameron were to either win outright or even keep largest party I think Osborne would get a huge amount of the credit and would be very well placed. If Cameron were going at a time of his own choosing in the next Parliament Osborne would probably be favourite.

This has been an extremely stable government with very few and quite modest reshuffles. This means there has been very little opportunity for the newer members to progress or really shine. My knowledge of Jarvid is that he sends me (and no doubt a million others) e-mails quite regularly. Goodness knows if he actually writes them but most purport to come from Cameron and Osborne so it is interesting that he gets a name check quite so often.

There's just something about Osborne that grates.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Official Labour figures should probably keep schtum on social media over this one though. When your opponent is digging a hole best thing to do is let them keep digging.

Sure NPxMP will be diplomatic about the matter on here ;)

It's one of those popcorn moments, where you just sit there and let the rats fight in a sack. At least the Labour PR team can now have Xmas off.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    We should all be thanking Soubry for giving us something to talk about over the Christmas break. :-)
  • Options

What is all this nonsense about the Anna Soubry comment. Personally I think many will agree with her and it wont do her any harm at all. Farage is a busted flush.

What, people actually imagine someone sticking their finger up Farage arse?

This is getting more weird by the minute.
    Whatever turns Anna Soubry on, I suppose.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick - I think in the public conscience when an MP says another MP likes someone else to put a finger up his arse, there is not much else that can top it.

I am expecting Crosby to photoshop Ed Miliband eating a baby to get the finger up arse headlines off the front pages.
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited December 2013
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

✨Billy Bixby✨ ‏@billybixby 48s

Something vaguely homophobic about Anna Soubry joking that Nigel likes a finger up the ass. Good old Tories.

It is so much of a PR disaster in so many ways that the other parties couldn't have thought it up. I am now considering either Crosby or Messina are sleepers for the Labour Party.

This has Waldorf and Stadler written all over it.
    The scriptwriters for The Thick of It would have rejected the line - spoken by a female Tory Defence Minister on live TV? -as being way too unlikely and surreal.
    I mean, just what goes through your mind, live on tv, to say your opponent likes someone to stick a finger up his arse. Has she always thought this? What is she doing imagining someone sticking a finger up his arse. Was she pissed? Is she on drugs?

Does she want to stick her finger up his arse? Has she just come out as a finger up arse person?
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

Mick_Pork said:

I am expecting Crosby to photoshop Ed Miliband eating a baby to get the finger up arse headlines off the front pages.
    This is right up the Mail`s territory of indignation at the state of moral affairs in this country.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

Financier said:

@compouter1

@Computer1
    That has to be your privilege as far too busy. Just won a major contract in Saudi and as you may know they do not have any holidays this month after the winter solstice.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Um, as far as I can tell, she actually uses the word "arse"??

https://audioboo.fm/boos/1813523-anna-soubry-on-nigel-farage

Hilariously awful.

Christmas just came early for Nick Palmer.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Mick_Pork said:

This is right up the Mail`s territory of indignation at the state of moral affairs in this country.

You just know that Waldorf and Stadler will be trying to pull off a "Soubry is one of the lads and it was all a big joke, you need to get a life". However, if it was a Labour politician, we would be getting another crucifixion at Christmas via those lovely people in the press.
  • Options
    I can only suppose politicians say that sort of thing about each other all the time. Just unusual to go public with it... nice of Anna Soubry to give UKIP some publicity over Christmas when people might have forgotten they exist.

On Godfrey Bloom... "UKIP leadership is dysfunctional. It's a big boys club dedicated to Nigel Farage". Aren't all political parties the same to a greater or lesser extent? Yes the bigger and older ones have layers of policy wonks, PR people etc but I always wonder why we expect political parties to be run on the Fuehrerprinzip. It would be nice to see them being a bit more collaborative. I don't really need to see a party leader "imposing his authority" on his party, just as I don't want him "imposing his authority" on the country after winning an election.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Financier said:

@compouter1

@Computer1
    That has to be your privilege as far too busy. Just won a major contract in Saudi and as you may know they do not have any holidays this month after the winter solstice.
    Nah, I will just marvel at the fact the PB Hodges ignore it as it isn't a "proper" poll.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

Mick_Pork said:

You just know that Waldorf and Stadler will be trying to pull off a "Soubry is one of the lads and it was all a big joke, you need to get a life". However, if it was a Labour politician, we would be getting another crucifixion at Christmas via those lovely people in the press.
    Spot on!
  • Options

I can only suppose politicians say that sort of thing about each other all the time. Just unusual to go public with it... nice of Anna Soubry to give UKIP some publicity over Christmas when people might have forgotten they exist.

On Godfrey Bloom... "UKIP leadership is dysfunctional. It's a big boys club dedicated to Nigel Farage". Aren't all political parties the same to a greater or lesser extent? Yes the bigger and older ones have layers of policy wonks, PR people etc but I always wonder why we expect political parties to be run on the Fuehrerprinzip. It would be nice to see them being a bit more collaborative. I don't really need to see a party leader "imposing his authority" on his party, just as I don't want him "imposing his authority" on the country after winning an election.

JL - I must be totally different from MP's that say that to each other as I have never even imagined Farage looks like he has a finger up his arse and he likes it. Is it me, has anyone on here looked at Farage and thought he would like someone to put a finger up his arse?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,053

We should all be thanking Soubry for giving us something to talk about over the Christmas break. :-)

Not over Christmas dinner, surely?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Anna Soubry is in fact saying that Nigel Farage is gay and that he flaunts it. A very serious charge, even if it was meant for laughs on TV.
  • Options

Not over Christmas dinner, surely?
    As you are pulling the giblets out, think of Soubry with Farage?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,049
    How does Soubry know what a man enjoying that looks like?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SMukesh said:

Mick_Pork said:

It'll be interesting to see if the Mail runs with it. She's a europhile and she's been clickbaitingly obscene - ideal Mail territory. But she's a Tory so they might let it go.

If the tabloids bite deeply I can see it being properly damaging - Mr Cameron do you stand by your Defence Minister's remarks &c &c - endless fun.

She's "lucky" inasmuch as it is close to Christmas, and the story may just disappear under the tinsel.
    Or she could be unlucky, as there is nothing else to report politically and now the red tops have an headline. I assume The Mirror will go for it in a big way.

Mike K - If she is doing that she deserves all she gets.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

Anna Soubry is in fact saying that Nigel Farage is gay and that he flaunts it. A very serious charge, even if it was meant for laughs on TV.

How old are you? I'm guessing quite, if you believe that what she said is any way related to gayness.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Speaking of rear end grip, why not visit my look ahead to 2014 article, up here?: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/a-look-ahead-to-2014.html

That quote seems incredible. It's just... weird.
  • Options

The questions on the back of her PR disaster is endless.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Not so, Mr K, have you not heard of prostate massage? Can be engaged in on a gay or hetero basis, is supposed to be quite good (although doesn't do that much for me).

And a "very serious charge"? Not so, this is the 21st century, being gay is fine.

• Options

Is she married? Maybe worth asking her for a date.

• Options
    The Express are on it and the others will likely not be far behind.
    Daily_Express ‏@Daily_Express 11m

'Nigel Farage looks like he enjoys a finger up his bottom' Tory Minister in bizarre rant http://dexpr.es/193m3rS
    She's trying to laugh it off.

"Speaking aftter the show, Mrs Soubry said: "If he is in any way offended, I apologise unreservedly. It was a light hearted remark"

Not sure that will cut it TBH. This wasn't late night with Andrew Neil but breakfast with Marr.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SMukesh said:

Mick_Pork said:

It'll be interesting to see if the Mail runs with it. She's a europhile and she's been clickbaitingly obscene - ideal Mail territory. But she's a Tory so they might let it go.

If the tabloids bite deeply I can see it being properly damaging - Mr Cameron do you stand by your Defence Minister's remarks &c &c - endless fun.

She's "lucky" inasmuch as it is close to Christmas, and the story may just disappear under the tinsel.
    The "Express" isn't letting it go.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/450056/Nigel-Farage-looks-like-he-enjoys-a-finger-up-his-bottom-Tory-Minister-in-bizarre-rant
  • Options

MikeK said:

Not so, Mr K, have you not heard of prostate massage? Can be engaged in on a gay or hetero basis, is supposed to be quite good (although doesn't do that much for me).

And a "very serious charge"? Not so, this is the 21st century, being gay is fine.

Not a very serious charge as such but I strongly doubt Soubry would be fine with, say, 4 of her fellow male tory cabinet ministers being outed. Just as a hypothetical of course. :)
  • Options
    Soubry's comment is certainly one of those occasions where it's easier for a woman to get away with a remark than a man (and I'm not a campaigner for mannism like SeanT).

I predict Ed Miliband won't call for any inquiry.

I predict peoples' views on whether it was a compliment or an insult will depend on their pre-existing views of Mr Farage.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Maybe Farage should try a different riposte.

I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.

Margaret Thatcher

• Options
    @JohnLilburne
    "And a "very serious charge"? Not so, this is the 21st century, being gay is fine."

Yes being gay is fine if you are so.
    It is definitely not so fine if you are heterosexual and resent being defined as gay.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited December 2013
    In this digital age Soubry should know better...

Career ending, only if she is no bloody good at her day job. Most of us will have heard worse remarks.
  • Options
    Perhaps Soubry is getting worried by Farage's man of the people act and wanted to remind everyone that he's a public schoolboy.
  • Options
    She may have inadvertently put her name forward as a description for a bit of finger action.

"Are you up for a Soubry?"
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    The most amusing thing is how anyone in the Conservative Party thinks getting this rude and unpleasant woman to repeatedly remind traditional Tory voters what the party leadership thinks of them and people with right wing views is part of the road map to victory.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SMukesh said:

Mick_Pork said:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/450056/Nigel-Farage-looks-like-he-enjoys-a-finger-up-his-bottom-Tory-Minister-in-bizarre-rant
    The Express is now in UKIP's camp.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mick_Pork said:

The Express are on it and the others will likely not be far behind.

Daily_Express ‏@Daily_Express 11m

'Nigel Farage looks like he enjoys a finger up his bottom' Tory Minister in bizarre rant http://dexpr.es/193m3rS
    She's trying to laugh it off.

"Speaking aftter the show, Mrs Soubry said: "If he is in any way offended, I apologise unreservedly. It was a light hearted remark"

Not sure that will cut it TBH. This wasn't late night with Andrew Neil but breakfast with Marr.
    There you go. I predicted an apology within two hours. I was bang on.

It's a classic politicians non-apology though. IF he was offended.

She hardly sounds very contrite. She might if the papers are bored enough to go big on it and they usually are this time of year.

• Options
    If you've ever had a colonoscopy ...........
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

In this digital age Soubry should know better...

Career ending, only if she is no bloody good at her day job. Most of us will have heard worse remarks.

LOL!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

@JohnLilburne
    "And a "very serious charge"? Not so, this is the 21st century, being gay is fine."

It is definitely not so fine if you are heterosexual and resent being defined as gay.

My point was, it shouldn't be treated as a slur on your character, something which gets you big bucks if you win a libel case. Yes its untrue, but so what? And I don't see why you would "resent" it. I have had a pass made at me by men on a couple of occasions, I simply said "no thanks" and moved on.

• Options
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited December 2013
    Farage really doesn't have to do anything does he? his opponents just keep handing him victory after victory.

Today we have Soubry, and we also learn that M&S are allowing their muslim staff to refuse to sell alcohol and pork to customers and to ask them to use another till. Politely of course (that's very nice of them).
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Soubry's patent colonoscopes.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    edited December 2013

SeanT said:

SMukesh said:

Mick_Pork said:

Although they have illustrated it with a picture of Mr Farage with a strange expression, almost as if...

• Options

MikeK said:

@JohnLilburne

My point was, it shouldn't be treated as a slur on your character, something which gets you big bucks if you win a libel case. Yes its untrue, but so what? And I don't see why you would "resent" it. I have had a pass made at me by men on a couple of occasions, I simply said "no thanks" and moved on.

Oh you are too Twee! So the guys make eyes at you; whats that got to do with the price of turnips?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Curiously, fingergatewise, many of the most offended people in my Twitter timeline are Tories. Labourites are much more accepting, as they hate Farage.

So she has alienated more core supporters, and pleased the Left, who still won't vote for her. And kippers are even less likely to return to Cameron's party.

Duh.

Still, it brightens a boring Sunday.

I think the Labourites are more excepting due to the fact we can sit back and watch two of the three right wing parties fall out with each other and swap insults. They must be packing their bags up for Xmas in the Labour PR office as their job has been done for them for the next week or so.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845
    edited December 2013
    MikeK said:

@JohnLilburne

I think there has been a court case which settled this issue.
    "Accusing" a straight person of being gay is not in itself slanderous, but if the straight person states that they are not gay, and the "accusation" is repeated, you are then accusing them of being a liar, which is actionable if you can't prove it.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

@JohnLilburne

Oh you are too Twee! So the guys make eyes at you; whats that got to do with the price of turnips?
    Your comment that it would apparently be reasonable to "resent" being called gay when you're not.

• Options

Although they have illustrated it with a picture of Mr Farage with a strange expression, almost as if...

They're all going to do this, it's the sub-editor chase instinct, they couldn't resist it if they tried.

It's a kamikaze move - it might take her down, but it'll make people pause for a couple of awkward seconds before shaking hands with Farage...
  • Options
    taffys said:

Farage really doesn't have to do anything does he? his opponents just keep handing him victory after victory.

Today we have Soubry, and we also learn that M&S are allowing their muslim staff to refuse to sell alcohol and pork to customers and to ask them to use another till. Politely of course (that's very nice of them).

I didn't know Islam discouraged the selling of alcohol and pork to non-believers. I've never known Moslem pharmacists express concerns over pork insulin, whether using or supplying.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I didn't know Islam discouraged the selling of alcohol and pork to non-believers.''

It's a completely disastrous decision. We could have fights at the tills. If I was holding M&S shares, I'd be dumping them forthwith.

I'll certainly never shop there again.
  • Options
    Just seen the pork/alcohol sales thing. It's entirely out of order. If you don't want to sell alcohol don't get a job that involves selling alcohol.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Here's the clip. I apologise to Ms Soubry, she does say "bottom" not "arse". However she DOES also do the illustrative finger movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVUY9KZ-wI

Rory Bremner looks absolutely appalled.

Mandy looks impressed and Cable stimulated.

• Options
    Do people think Spencer could work as a woman's name?
  • Options
    taffys said:

Is there a proper (non-dodgy-British-newspaper) source for this? As described the policy sounds really bad for Muslim staff too. Customers will avoid the tills of Muslim-looking people, which is going to be weird and uncomfortable, and potentially prevent stores from hiring them if they think they can get away with it,
  • Options

MikeK said:

Sounds like a ball to me.

I think if you insinuate that a married man is secretly gay, the implication is that he's a hypocrite, and that's certainly defamatory. Not that I think that was Soubry's intention.

• Options

Do people think Spencer could work as a woman's name?

For an American.
  • Options
    Soubrey looks like the kind of gel who loves horse riding - if you know what I mean!

Seriously though, she is now totally open to any offensive comment anyone wants to throw at her. If she complains, they can just say they're sorry she hasn't got a sense of humour.

But perhaps she's actually brave though, and not stupid? Has the Defense Minister gone kamikaze, and, knowing that the game's up, sacrificed herself in the hope that some mud (or whatever) will stick to Farage?
  • Options
    Miss DiCanio, it's funny you should mention that. I got two character names, one from US presidents (Jackson Adams) and another from British prime ministers (Spencer Grey). I haven't specified a nationality for either, though.
  • Options
    I like the Anna Soubry comment on Nigel Farage. His po-faced response, however, shows that he doesn't like it up him.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "Uber can slightly outperform gambling spreads on whether a team will win a home game, just by looking at stadium [taxi] trips."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-19/uber-s-pricing-puts-economists-before-customers.html
  • Options

taffys said:

Is there a proper (non-dodgy-British-newspaper) source for this? As described the policy sounds really bad for Muslim staff too. Customers will avoid the tills of Muslim-looking people, which is going to be weird and uncomfortable, and potentially prevent stores from hiring them if they think they can get away with it,
    I have to say I'm a bit suspicious of the story. I could see that M & S might deploy Muslim staff in roles where they don't have to sell alcohol, but I find it hard to believe any supermarket would actually allow staff to refuse to serve a customer.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited December 2013
    The modern tory party are a PR disaster party,how the hell can the tories turn they attention onto labour when they keep the focus on them selves with stupid comments or stupid policies.

Next leader of the tories should in my mind be priti patel,a tory who knows how to hit the opposition or if labour in government.
  • Options
    taffys said:

As I understand it: A till is an 'invitation-to-treat'. Having entered a queue to be served (without discrimination) then, should a cult-follower (i.e. vegan, mor0n, muzzie) refuse to complete said contract then the only decent thing is to walk away....

How Marks&Sparks will handle trollies and baskets of "Kafir" 'invites' de-frosting in the aisles (until some 'non-believer' cleans up the mess) could be fun. Maybe we need to try it...?
  • Options
    That pork/alcohol story is just plain barmy. If I queued at a checkout, only to be told, however politely, that for "religious reasons", the operator couldn't (actually wouldn't) serve me alcohol or pork, I'd just leave the whole pile of shopping at the till, and never enter that supermarket chain again.
    It's the sort of PC pandering that increases division amongst us.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Sean_F said:

taffys said:

I have to say I'm a bit suspicious of the story. I could see that M & S might deploy Muslim staff in roles where they don't have to sell alcohol, but I find it hard to believe any supermarket would actually allow staff to refuse to serve a customer.

The Telegraph say it's legit.

"Muslim staff working for Marks & Spencer have been given permission to refuse to serve customers buying alcohol or pork products

One customer, who declined to be named, said: “I had one bottle of champagne, and the lady, who was wearing a headscarf, was very apologetic but said she could not serve me. She told me to wait until another member of staff was available."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10532782/Muslim-staff-at-Marks-and-Spencer-can-refuse-to-sell-alcohol-and-pork.html
  • Options

The modern tory party are a PR disaster party,how the hell can the tories turn they attention onto labour when they keep the focus on them selves with stupid comments or stupid policies.

Next leader of the tories should in my mind be priti patel,a tory who knows how to hit the opposition or if labour in government.

Are you sure?They have got a `PR` man in charge.
  • Options

taffys said:

I didn't know Islam discouraged the selling of alcohol and pork to non-believers. I've never known Moslem pharmacists express concerns over pork insulin, whether using or supplying.
    Apparently it does - the Quran only says you shouldn't eat pork or drink alcohol, but there are commentaries on it which extend that to making money out of selling products, even to non-Muslims. However, what they don't usually tell you is these things are only supposed to be in force in an Islamic state. Also - a Muslim living among kuffar might be expected not to take a job that requires him to do so.

Although thankfully not many Muslims seem to be that bothered. A shop I often frequent is the sort of place with a halal butchers at the back, and a shelf full of Polish and Romanian pork products at the front. And while the serving staff are mostly Nepali and therefore probably Buddhist or Hindu, the owner is Iranian.

• Options
    Incidentally, I know Clancey[sp] won SCD, but who was the runner-up? Trying to work out if the each way bet on Gumede came off or not.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,991
    Anyone who is a fan of test cricket should be watching the SA/Ind match now
  • Options
    F1: good, bad or indifferent news. The double points idiocy could be scrapped, or extended to the final three races:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/140173.html
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

Why do you all have to put the word "good" before your school? Was my bog standard state infant, primary and full comp "bad"?

to make up for it not being private or Eton, called snobbery
  • Options
    Fingergate, like other mistakes, could be rescued by an appropriate apology.

Saying sorry IF offence is caused just puts fuel on the fire.

She should be apologising to the viewers for being personally insulting and demeaning about the leader of a competing political party instead of debating his policies.

Although a woman and not public school educated, Soubray still looks likely to go back to the backbenches.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    SeanT said:

It's also worth noting that many of our children have to eat halal meat, whether they want to or not, to accommodate Muslims, likewise diners at takeways etc.

But Muslims can refuse to serve us alcohol or pork even when we have patiently queued to do so, and when we have no desire to offend.

Grotesque.

When are people forced to eat halal meat? If you don't want it you can buy from another takeaway.
  • Options
    Mr. Quincel, I may be wrong but I think some schools serve only halal meat.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

The Telegraph say it's legit.

"Muslim staff working for Marks & Spencer have been given permission to refuse to serve customers buying alcohol or pork products

One customer, who declined to be named, said: “I had one bottle of champagne, and the lady, who was wearing a headscarf, was very apologetic but said she could not serve me. She told me to wait until another member of staff was available."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10532782/Muslim-staff-at-Marks-and-Spencer-can-refuse-to-sell-alcohol-and-pork.html
    Another step on the slippery slope to Sharia Law and the Caliphate. Mr Marks, the founder of Marks and Spencer will be turning in his grave and throwing curses at todays M&S execs.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    And here I was thinking the kippers didn't like it up them.

Merry Christmas all.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

F1: good, bad or indifferent news. The double points idiocy could be scrapped, or extended to the final three races:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/140173.html

I struggle to get upset. Most sports recognise some tournaments are more important than others. The greater weight given to majors doesn't destroy the sporting integrity of the golf or tennis rankings.

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited December 2013
    Islam:

Apparently 50% of the World's protein comes from pork (and not the Belgian-'merde' type). I'd assume cultivating pork requires a few old pig-studs and sows.

Ergo: Most consumed piglets are 'virgins'. Does this explain a Seventh Century fascination with the number '72'...?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    antifrank said:

I like the Anna Soubry comment on Nigel Farage. His po-faced response, however, shows that he doesn't like it up him.

Farage's initial response was near pitch-perfect. His later one, less so.

Now I've seen the video, it's less bad for Soubry. They were laughing, and she got carried away. Still wrong, though.

Harman's 'ginger rodent' comment was worse in my eyes, because that was (AFAICR) part of a planned, written speech that would have been checked by many people, none of whom flagged it up.

As I've said before, SeanT should become a politician. He'd out-Boris Boris, and make Ken look tiny when it came to lifestyle and scandals. And he'd probably get away with it.

To summarise: SeanT should be the new Alan Clarke. Politics would be all the richer ...
  • Options

That pork/alcohol story is just plain barmy. If I queued at a checkout, only to be told, however politely, that for "religious reasons", the operator couldn't (actually wouldn't) serve me alcohol or pork, I'd just leave the whole pile of shopping at the till, and never enter that supermarket chain again.
    It's the sort of PC pandering that increases division amongst us.

The one that amazed me was the woman who failed to get a job at a hairdresser's, because she insisted on wearing a hair-covering-headscarf, and then won compensation!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1027029/Hairdresser-ordered-pay-4-000-Muslim-woman-refusing-job-wears-headscarf.html
  • Options
    Mr. Maaarsh, if we take the view that some races are more important/prestigious, Abu Dhabi would *not* be on the list, let alone at the top.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Seems like Soubry has given up on retaining her seat.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Mr. Quincel, I may be wrong but I think some schools serve only halal meat.

While I could well believe that a small number of schools with a large number of Muslim pupils only serve halal meat, I don't buy that this is a meaningful restriction on our freedom. If nothing else, there is likely always another school in the area which doesn't and since the right-wing in Britain has often said that people should just move to new areas to find work etc I don't buy that they can credibly draw the line at moving schools.

EDIT: Three-quarters? Cripes. None the less, is it really such a terrible fate to bear? Make them a packed lunch, or have them eat halal meat. It won't do them any harm.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    antifrank said:

Me too. And hasn't pb become a bunch of prudes? Oh Maude. Please, another sherry and the smelling salts...oooh, I feel quite dizzy.

Prediction: this'll be a one day wonder, to be overtaken completely by the hols (when we'll all be saying things we will probably regret)....no hits for Anna, she'll be fine as a Minister and in Broxtowe.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

SeanT said:

It's also worth noting that many of our children have to eat halal meat, whether they want to or not, to accommodate Muslims, likewise diners at takeways etc.

But Muslims can refuse to serve us alcohol or pork even when we have patiently queued to do so, and when we have no desire to offend.

Grotesque.

When are people forced to eat halal meat? If you don't want it you can buy from another takeaway.
    A lot (most?) of schools get their meat from suppliers that only deal in halal meat. Its a cost issue, I think, it saves having to source meat from different suppliers. My wife's school definitely only uses halal meat, for all dinners.

• Options
    If a small number of schools with a large number of Christian pupils refused to serve Muslims halal meat would that be a restriction? Forcing others to adopt your customs and values is by definition a restriction on freedom.
  • Options

You must be planning a very boring break if that is what you will talk about
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited December 2013
    The CEO of M&S is about to have a nightmare day.. A total boycott of the store may be required.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Blueberry said:

Soubrey looks like the kind of gel who loves horse riding - if you know what I mean!

Seriously though, she is now totally open to any offensive comment anyone wants to throw at her. If she complains, they can just say they're sorry she hasn't got a sense of humour.

But perhaps she's actually brave though, and not stupid? Has the Defense Minister gone kamikaze, and, knowing that the game's up, sacrificed herself in the hope that some mud (or whatever) will stick to Farage?

Dear Blueberry

I fear you are over-reacting.

All Ms Soubry has done is to turn Farage into a finger of fun.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Crazy. We are turning into a crazy country.

I would tell them to stick their goods where the sun don't shine and never shop there again
  • Options
    Quincel said:

While I could well believe that a small number of schools with a large number of Muslim pupils only serve halal meat, I don't buy that this is a meaningful restriction on our freedom. If nothing else, there is likely always another school in the area which doesn't and since the right-wing in Britain has often said that people should just move to new areas to find work etc I don't buy that they can credibly draw the line at moving schools.

EDIT: Three-quarters? Cripes. None the less, is it really such a terrible fate to bear? Make them a packed lunch, or have them eat halal meat. It won't do them any harm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_loco_parentis

Your argument is tedious....
  • Options

If a small number of schools with a large number of Christian pupils refused to serve Muslims halal meat would that be a restriction? Forcing others to adopt your customs and values is by definition a restriction on freedom.

Firstly, Islam prohibits followers from eating non-halal meat. Christianity does not prevent followers from eating kosher, halal or any other meat. Secondly, how is being forced to eat halal meat any worse than there being very limited options on the menu each day?
This discussion has been closed.