Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Rishi Sunak has highest satisfaction ratings for a Chancellor since Healey in 1978 – politicalbettin

Comments

• nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

LadyG said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

You know that truck park in Kent well

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1309572035836874757

I am increasingly of the view that the transition period will be extended. We are over a barrel and we know it.
    An extension request now will require the consent of the EC, the EP, the EU27 member states and I think those regional parliaments that are accorded a veto by their member states like Walloonia.

If Spain is ever going to seriously push to get Gibraltar back for real, that will be the time.
    If they got it back then it would remove the governments distraction from domestic problems option. It’s not really in their interests to get it ‘back’ too many people benefit from the current arrangement both legally and illegally.
    Not to mention any attempt to get it back without the consent of the rock's people would in effect be a declaration of war which would require Boris to do a Thatcher and send a task force to southern Spain
    Whilst you are in fantasy land I’m afraid a task force would get absolutely nowhere, have you been to Gibraltar? The spanish could put thousands of armed personnel on the streets if it came to it. It won’t happen so rather silly to discuss it.
    So what, we would send the Queen Elizabeth to the Mediterrenean to launch bombing raids on Spanish positions, land the SAS and the parachute regiment onto the rock and they would in turn arm the local population for guerrilla war
    The aircraft carrier would be blasted out of the water because it has no protection, bombing the spanish positions would kill many british immigrants and facing an army of many thousands of heavily armed personnel the SAS would be totally ineffective. But it’s fun to play keyboard warrior War games, it ain’t going to happen but if it did the UK would never get it back militarily.
    Except, if we're going to play war games, the UK could nuke Barcelona and Seville, and threaten Madrid, and then it's game over
    Yes, as it happens the USA have dropped more nukes on spanish soil than anywhere else in the world, the fortunately didn’t detonate but have caused significant contamination.
    I don’t think Bikini and Eniwetak were Spanish territory at the time.
    No mainland Spain three fell on land one of which burst open and two in the sea, only one has been recovered. It was the result of a refueling accident which caused the crash. Did they drop bombs on the atoms? Or just explode them on or underground.
    On the atolls ?
    Yes.
    Ok stand corrected but it’s an interesting story anyway, spain are still after clean up reparations.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    nichomar said:

Come on, own up. Who set @HYUFD off on his Spanish War fanatasy again?

I have a feeling it was me in response to someone suggesting brexit would give spain the opportunity to take over Gibraltar, I said they wouldn’t because it’s not in their interest then LtCol HY marched onto the thread.
    Ok, we'll let you off this time - please take more care in future :wink:
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    edited September 2020
    Jonathan said:

The idea of Boris and Cummings leading the UK through wartime is terrifying.

You’ll have a sub Churchill speech on Monday, the enemy will past Dover on Tuesday, Cummings will be Durham on Wednesday, Boris will blame the young people on Thursday. It will be all over by the weekend.

Nah.
    Boris will be making love by Wednesday. And Thursday and Friday and Saturday.
    Chilled on Sunday.
  • HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

I am increasingly of the view that the transition period will be extended. We are over a barrel and we know it.
    An extension request now will require the consent of the EC, the EP, the EU27 member states and I think those regional parliaments that are accorded a veto by their member states like Walloonia.

If Spain is ever going to seriously push to get Gibraltar back for real, that will be the time.
    If they got it back then it would remove the governments distraction from domestic problems option. It’s not really in their interests to get it ‘back’ too many people benefit from the current arrangement both legally and illegally.
    Not to mention any attempt to get it back without the consent of the rock's people would in effect be a declaration of war which would require Boris to do a Thatcher and send a task force to southern Spain
    Whilst you are in fantasy land I’m afraid a task force would get absolutely nowhere, have you been to Gibraltar? The spanish could put thousands of armed personnel on the streets if it came to it. It won’t happen so rather silly to discuss it.
    So what, we would send the Queen Elizabeth to the Mediterrenean to launch bombing raids on Spanish positions, land the SAS and the parachute regiment onto the rock and they would in turn arm the local population for guerrilla war
    The aircraft carrier would be blasted out of the water because it has no protection, bombing the spanish positions would kill many british immigrants and facing an army of many thousands of heavily armed personnel the SAS would be totally ineffective. But it’s fun to play keyboard warrior War games, it ain’t going to happen but if it did the UK would never get it back militarily.
    There would be destroyers, frigates etc supporting it Spain has 414 planes in its airforce, the RAF has 832 planes and of course they can also launch bombing raids from UK airbases on Spanish airfields, factories, railways etc which obviously would occur with RAF bombing of Spain until Spain withdrew from Gibraltar. Our submarines meanwhile would sink all Spanish naval ships to ensure ports could be captured on the Spanish mainland.

A full scale British invasion of southern Spain would also then have to be on the cards with troops landing at those ports if the Spanish did not withdraw from Gibraltar and the British army has 79,000 personnel to 75,000 for Spain.

The UK would of course get it back militarily no matter what the cost

Well, that escalated quickly.
    Well of course it would if Spain invades British territory. Which is why Spain won't do that.

If Spain invades us then that is war. War is hell. Why anyone would want that is beyond me, but if Spain were to invade Gibraltar it would be war.
    Can we just mention how shit Rasmussen polls are?

Anything to divert attention from Andalusian invasion planning.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    edited September 2020
    We were told yesterday that students may have to stay at uni in their halls at Xmas.

Now we are told that everything will be done to save Xmas.

Who the f*ck is running comms in Downing Street?

Larry the cat?
    Anyway am retiring to my Andersen shelter that is installed in the drained swimming pool in case the UK bombers drop short of San Javea military base five kilometers away.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785
    nichomar said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

There would be destroyers, frigates etc supporting it Spain has 414 planes in its airforce, the RAF has 832 planes and of course they can also launch bombing raids from UK airbases on Spanish airfields, factories, railways etc which obviously would occur with RAF bombing of Spain until Spain withdrew from Gibraltar. Our submarines meanwhile would sink all Spanish naval ships to ensure ports could be captured on the Spanish mainland.

A full scale invasion of southern Spain would also then have to be on the cards with troops landing at those ports if the Spanish did not withdraw from Gibraltar and the British army has 79,000 personnel to 75,000 for Spain.

This whole fantasy is laughable.
    Makes a nice change from Covid Despair tho
    Nowt like a little war speculation to lighten the mood away from pestilence, death and economic depression.
    Me. I'm anticipating the subsequent famine following the inevitable sanctions with deep heartfelt joy. :wink:
    Could we have a giant asteroid first? 2020 is that sort of year.
    Johnson’s army would defeat the asteroid
    Is that barricade of 7000 parked lorries ready yet? What, only 6000? OK, a teensy bit more red tape at the border and we'll stop that asteroid dead.
    Have they thought about just pushing Christmas back to April?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

A full scale invasion of southern Spain would also then have to be on the cards with troops landing at those ports if the Spanish did not withdraw from Gibraltar and the British army has 79,000 personnel to 75,000 for Spain.

You forget the national police, guardia civil and police local, plus their anti terrorist force all capable of being armed to the teeth. That’s about another 100,000 at least.
    But what of our fifth column of embedded ex-pats? Must be able to cause enough mayhem on the Costas to tie up those 100,000......

We were told yesterday that students may have to stay at uni in their halls at Xmas.

Larry the cat?

That's a terrible slur.

Larry's much better than that.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2020

Larry the cat?

It is all totally unbelievable. Even if a vaccine appear next month, only a few people will be getting it in December. And 3 million tests a day, I mean come on, we can't do 200k a day and we are supposed to believe this. Also, if we start doing this many tests, everybody will spend half their week in a massive queue.

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

You forget the national police, guardia civil and police local, plus their anti terrorist force all capable of being armed to the teeth. That’s about another 100,000 at least.
    But what of our fifth column of embedded ex-pats? Must be able to cause enough mayhem on the Costas to tie up those 100,000......
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,075

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

A full scale British invasion of southern Spain would also then have to be on the cards with troops landing at those ports if the Spanish did not withdraw from Gibraltar and the British army has 79,000 personnel to 75,000 for Spain.

Well of course it would if Spain invades British territory. Which is why Spain won't do that.

If Spain invades us then that is war. War is hell. Why anyone would want that is beyond me, but if Spain were to invade Gibraltar it would be war.
    It won't need to. Gibraltar will be joining the EU CU on 1 Jan.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Well, I’m having my annual flu jab tomorrow.

Which I suspect will be the only vaccine I’ll be receiving in the near future.
  • We were told yesterday that students may have to stay at uni in their halls at Xmas.

Larry the cat?

It is all totally unbelievable. Even if a vaccine appear next month, only a few people will be getting it in December. And 3 million tests a day, I mean come on, we can't do 200k a day and we are supposed to believe this. Also, if we start doing this many tests, everybody will spend half their week in a massive queue.
    Except, if the infamous Whitty graph showing doubling every seven days is correct then by Xmas the entire UK population would have had covid and mostly recovered or be dead.

So maybe they are on to something.

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

Fix Zimmer frames, and go over the top when the sun is over the yardarm...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

And the penny has dropped.

:D
    Chill, the second wave will have passed by then, and we will be in the lull before the third wave.
    RobD said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

And the penny has dropped.

:D
    😀
  • LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Heating on. Cold dark skies

Six months of this, plus plague

Jesus F Christ
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Larry the cat?

3 million antigen tests a day?
  • LadyG said:

Jesus F Christ

Get yourself a big order of some decent plonk and spent the next 6 months bladdered.
    Counter intuitive

"London has almost caught up with New York as the world's number 1 financial centre, survey finds"

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/biggest-financial-centers-london-nears-new-york-2020-9-1029622179

I think New York City is in deep shit, in the medium term.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

Have you just Wikipedia'd the number of planes in each countries forces?

JFC
  • LadyG said:

Jesus F Christ

Nesh, as we say in these parts.

LadyG said:

Jesus F Christ

Get yourself a big order of some decent plonk and spent the next 6 months bladdered.
    Did you expect anything else?
  • Foxy said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

Armed to the teeth with rolled up copies of the Daily Mail.

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

Armed to the teeth with rolled up copies of the Daily Mail.
    They may take our lives, but they will never take our sun loungers!
  • glw said:

Even Fred West would have been popular with the public if he'd had the foresight to give away tens of billions of pounds before murdering all those people.

Prolly would have worked even after murdering all those people.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

LadyG said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

Except, if we're going to play war games, the UK could nuke Barcelona and Seville, and threaten Madrid, and then it's game over
    Yes, as it happens the USA have dropped more nukes on spanish soil than anywhere else in the world, the fortunately didn’t detonate but have caused significant contamination.
    Technically they weren't dropped...
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    I love how the rabid Brexiteers assumed that I was suggesting Spain would invade Gibraltar. My point as the UK will be desperate for an extension or, well anything really, this is the perfect opportunity for the Spanish to name their price. And of course the British government would sell the Gibraltarians out to the Spanish if they felt it was in the UK's best interest, or does no-one read imperial history anymore?

Personally I put it down to too much reading of Warlord and Battle Picture Library in certain posters' youth.
    She actually sounds quite interesting. Conservative American women who fight back against the Blob are some of the best thinkers around.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited September 2020
    Seems well qualified, a law professor as well as US Appeals Court judge.

On abortion she does not favour complete repeal of Roe v Wade but believes the question is whether it should be publicly or privately funded.

She also seems to think the individual mandate element of the ACA is not constitutional
    rpjs said:

I love how the rabid Brexiteers assumed that I was suggesting Spain would invade Gibraltar. My point as the UK will be desperate for an extension or, well anything really, this is the perfect opportunity for the Spanish to name their price. And of course the British government would sell the Gibraltarians out to the Spanish if they felt it was in the UK's best interest, or does no-one read imperial history anymore?

Personally I put it down to too much reading of Warlord and Battle Picture Library in certain posters' youth.

First, Boris will not survive long with an ever lasting extension and he knows it.

Second, as long as the people of Gibraltar wish to remain British the British government will ensure they stay British
    rpjs said:

It's a ludicrous notion. Boris and Dom may (in your fevered imagination) want to sell out Gibraltar to get a deal, but it is never going to happen, because the people of Gibraltar have a moral and legal veto over their own constitutional position, and no government would ever override that

Spain would be better off using UK expats as a bargaining tool. They indeed might be cut loose
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:
    I think that may already have been awarded to the Boris saves Christmas news in tomorrow's Telegraph.
  • Oh great irresponsible headlines and Government briefings are back.

Why can't we just be honest and say this year is a write-off
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    LadyG said:

rpjs said:

It's a ludicrous notion. Boris and Dom may (in your fevered imagination) want to sell out Gibraltar to get a deal, but it is never going to happen, because the people of Gibraltar have a moral and legal veto over their own constitutional position, and no government would ever override that

Spain would be better off using UK expats as a bargaining tool. They indeed might be cut loose
    No british govt could ever countenance a border in the irish sea/kent/leaving gibraltar/breaking international law.

Oh great irresponsible headlines and Government briefings are back.

I think everyone in Britain,. Europe and probably the world regards 2020 as a write-off. We all want it to go away. It is the shittiest year anyone can remember.

I've just been speaking to the wife of a friend very seriously ill with Covid-related issues. This year SUCKS
    rkrkrk said:

LadyG said:

rpjs said:

No british govt could ever countenance a border in the irish sea/kent/leaving gibraltar/breaking international law.
    No it couldn't, hence the internal markets bill to ensure there will be no border in the Irish Sea
  • LadyG said:

I think everyone in Britain,. Europe and probably the world regards 2020 as a write-off. We all want it to go away. It is the shittiest year anyone can remember.

I've just been speaking to the wife of a friend very seriously ill with Covid-related issues. This year SUCKS
    You can just make up a new life to distract yourself, eh Sean
    rkrkrk said:

LadyG said:

rpjs said:

Entirely different. That's tinkering.

Ceding the sovereignty of somewhere like Gibraltar without the permission of the Gibraltarian people is more like giving Ulster to Ireland without a Border vote. It's simply inconceivable, outside a world war where we are utterly defeated
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

LadyG said:

rpjs said:

No it couldn't, hence the internal markets bill to ensure there will be no border in the Irish Sea
    Boris Johnson and yourself repeatedly told us that the WA ensured no border in the Irish Sea. Were you both lying?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Alistair said:

Amy Coney Barrett
    13/8
    Next Supreme Court Justice - Next Supreme Court Justice
    Starting Soon
    Stake
    £30.00
    Potential Returns
    £78.75

KERCHING !

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

LadyG said:

rpjs said:

Boris Johnson and yourself repeatedly told us that the WA ensured no border in the Irish Sea. Were you both lying?
    After the WA is amended in UK law, no
    I considered if Trump might go for the cuban-American Lagoa I think it was to boost himself in Florida but dismissed it on the basis Trump isn't that strategic.

LadyG said:

I am not Sean, etc etc... but in my life I can sadly say I have never seen such misery and sadness in those I know and love.

Friends are seriously ill. Others are nearing bankruptcy. Several are now redundant. Marriages have failed. Family members suffer, mentally. Businesses I know fondly (and the jobs of all the staff within) have disappeared.

It is just shite. Almost unremittingly shite.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

LadyG said:

rpjs said:

Were you both lying?

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

LadyG said:

rpjs said:

Were you both lying?
    No, Boris only signed it on the assumption the EU would agree a fair FTA hence limiting any border in the Irish Sea, however if they were not reasonable as they have not been the WA would be amended by the UK government as it is being to ensure no Irish Sea border
    Oh a Zoom call with some manchester friends now. They can't say they're surprised given what they've seen in Manchester City centre.

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

Except Spain isn't going to invade Gibraltar. They didn't even bother in the Second World War, when they were allied with Hitler, and the British armed forces were otherwise engaged.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

LadyG said:

rpjs said:

Were you both lying?
    No, Boris only signed it on the assumption the EU would agree a fair FTA hence limiting any border in the Irish Sea, however if they were not reasonable as they have not been the WA would be amended by the UK government as it is being to ensure no Irish Sea border
    So if you both weren’t lying then you both were just ignorant to its contents. Says it all really.

Larry the cat?

Don't forget, though, that a vaccine would be distributed to those most likely to spread the disease to others, so it could well reduce infections markedly, even before it's widely available.
    Pulpstar said:

Oh a Zoom call with some manchester friends now. They can't say they're surprised given what they've seen in Manchester City centre.
    It will happen across the UK. It is inevitable.

The question will be: were the students duped. That's what makes Glasgow a unique case (so far). Their students were told to expect blended online and face to face education, they were asked to attend (or face expulsion), they were requested to pay unrefundable deposits for accommodation, THEN they were told education was actually all online and now they are locked down, pointlessly, in tiny rooms, when they could be at home, saving all that money and getting the same digital education.

If English universities have tried the same con trick then they will be as guilty as Glasgow. And all will be rightly sued.
    edited September 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Larry the cat?

Don't forget, though, that a vaccine would be distributed to those most likely to spread the disease to others, so it could well reduce infections markedly, even before it's widely available.
    They're going to exclude old people who don't go out much :D ?! Can't see it myself.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

Except Spain isn't going to invade Gibraltar. They didn't even bother in the Second World War, when they were allied with Hitler, and the British armed forces were otherwise engaged.
    The Royal Navy was still quite an impressive beast in 1940. The Mediterranean fleet could have blasted Cadiz and Barcelona to smithereens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_Fleet
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    LadyG said:

She actually sounds quite interesting. Conservative American women who fight back against the Blob are some of the best thinkers around.
    How long before someone on the far-left criticises her for having 7 children and being a Catholic?
  • HYUFD said:

Interesting. I missed that. Can you give us a link to a statement or newspaper article pointing that out at the time?
  • The Welsh government have been a total shit show over testing....even more so than the UK government.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8773979/Wales-health-minister-said-ghostly-lighthouse-lab-open-August-idle.html
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,577
    LadyG said:

Jesus F Christ

You could always try writing that first novel.
    Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

How long before someone on the far-left criticises her for having 7 children and being a Catholic?
    About one millisecond. That CNN profile already alleges that she has "support from the far right", ie people with fairly standard religious views

America has lost its collective mind. Their culture wars are deepening. This is why I think places like New York are fucked. They are going to get sucked into this civil conflict, and anarchy beckons.
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

LadyG said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

Technically they weren't dropped...
    A number of them were.
    And a lot more weren’t.
  • rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

eek said:

Of course, everyone who brings it up are absolutely mad.

Though I do believe to be fair during the Second World War we didn't exactly abandon Gibraltar, I think it was well stockpiled with forces and used regularly as a waypoint so our forces weren't entirely otherwise engaged.
  • LadyG said:

Pulpstar said:

The question will be: were the students duped. That's what makes Glasgow a unique case (so far). Their students were told to expect blended online and face to face education, they were asked to attend (or face expulsion), they were requested to pay unrefundable deposits for accommodation, THEN they were told education was actually all online and now they are locked down, pointlessly, in tiny rooms, when they could be at home, saving all that money and getting the same digital education.

If English universities have tried the same con trick then they will be as guilty as Glasgow. And all will be rightly sued.
    A friend of mine who works at one told me today his uni have a leper zone (a series of marquees) for those living on campus to be able to socialize away from the general populous. Seemed like a sensible idea. Doubt it will stop the plague sweeping through, despite all the supposed social distancing rules in the zone, but at least it should keep them from going into town.
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

I am not Sean, etc etc... but in my life I can sadly say I have never seen such misery and sadness in those I know and love.

Friends are seriously ill. Others are nearing bankruptcy. Several are now redundant. Marriages have failed. Family members suffer, mentally. Businesses I know fondly (and the jobs of all the staff within) have disappeared.

It is just shite. Almost unremittingly shite.
    In all seriousness, I concur.

LadyG said:

Pulpstar said:

A friend of mine who works at one told me today his uni have a leper zone (a series of marquees) for those living on campus to be able to socialize away from the general populous. Seemed like a sensible idea. Doubt it will stop the plague sweeping through, despite all the supposed social distancing rules in the zone, but at least it should keep them from going into town.
    I have a young friend coming to UCL this weekend to start her course. She has been told to expect completely online education until further notice. So at least they are being honest, in this one case.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,264
    Hilarious thread - thanks to HYUFD for the (surely partly intentional?) entertainment.

And yes, Dennis Skinner is fine - a friend chatted to his brother this evening. As Judy Mallaber (ex-Amber Valley) says, he'll outlive us all.
    LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

About one millisecond. That CNN profile already alleges that she has "support from the far right", ie people with fairly standard religious views

America has lost its collective mind. Their culture wars are deepening. This is why I think places like New York are fucked. They are going to get sucked into this civil conflict, and anarchy beckons.
    Of course New York state itself is divided by the culture wars, New York city and its surrounding suburbs are staunchly Democratic but rural upstate New York is Trumpland
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2020
    Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

Republicans have been desperately pushing the line that the Dems are prejudiced against Catholics.

Which is an incredibly tough row to hoe given Biden is Catholic.
  • Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

I'll criticise anyone for having that many children.
  • This Government is putting lives in danger with their irresponsible comms and briefing. They can't blame anyone else but themselves for that.
    FiveThirtyEight has moved Ohio into the Biden column with a new forecast of 49.6% to 49.4%.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/
  • Amy Coney Barrett seems to be a serious legal figure, I can't see her helping Trump in some dodgy scheme to rig the election.
    LadyG said:

And what is the Blob on this context, other than a lazy, partisan catchword ?
    Won’t a 6-3 reactionary, unelected, irremovable court defying an elected Democratic administration be exactly that ?

She is about as interesting as Scalia, her mentor - IOW, not very, as we’ve seen it all before.

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

Republicans have been desperately pushing the line that the Dems are prejudiced against Catholics.

Which is an incredibly tough row to hoe given Biden is Catholic.
    Biden of course aiming to be the second Catholic elected President after JFK, Kerry was the only other other Catholic nominee in between but narrowly lost the Catholic vote to Bush in 2004
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    edited September 2020

Amy Coney Barrett seems to be a serious legal figure, I can't see her helping Trump in some dodgy scheme to rig the election.

It might depend whether the Dems try to “do a Kavanaugh” on her during the confirmation hearings. If they’re sensible, they’ll focus on keeping the election as a referendum on Trump.

Amy Coney Barrett seems to be a serious legal figure, I can't see her helping Trump in some dodgy scheme to rig the election.

She at least not a scofflaw like the Florida judge.
  • COVID ALERT - In response to surge in COVID case, Ontario is closing all strip clubs until further notice.

This truly IS war!
  • Amy Coney Barrett seems to be a serious legal figure, I can't see her helping Trump in some dodgy scheme to rig the election.

It might depend whether the Dems try to “do a Kavanaugh” on her during the confirmation hearings. If they’re sensible, they’ll focus on keeping the election as a referendum on Trump.
    Note that Kamala Harris is a member of US Senate Judiciary Committee.
  • I don't support a ban but I think it would be a very good idea to recommend it, while leaving it to the students to then decide what they want to do themselves.

Some students may prefer to stay in town with their friends rather than return home to their families if that's a choice and they have a recommendation to avoid any guilt about it.

I think they will concentrate on her views rather than her character, which is not questionable in the manner Kavanagh’s is.
  • Alistair said:
    Nowhere near sufficient to get the Constitution changed.

Needs 75% of States, not 61% of the population. I expect that 61% probably don't even make it a majority of States let alone 3/4 of States.
  • Nigelb said:

I think they will concentrate on her views rather than her character, which is not questionable in the manner Kavanagh’s is.
    What is her view on Gibraltar?
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

I don't support a ban but I think it would be a very good idea to recommend it, while leaving it to the students to then decide what they want to do themselves.

Some students may prefer to stay in town with their friends rather than return home to their families if that's a choice and they have a recommendation to avoid any guilt about it.
    Having been a student in the not too distant past, and thinking how I would feel in the situation we're now in while living in a student hall, I can tell you that I'd be absolutely desperate for two weeks of home comforts and to hell with anyone who gets in my way. I don't think there'd be anything near a significant amount that would think otherwise.
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:
    Alternatively just let California secede and become an independent nation, it would be a top 10 global economy on its own and Trump in 2016 and Bush in 2000 would have then won the overall US popular vote in the remaining 49 states anyway
  • Given how few people watch the likes of Sky News and ITN tried and failed at rolling news, I don't see how they make this viable. We aren't the US, where CNN and Fox are basically new entertainment these days.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8773677/Andrew-Neil-lead-new-news-channel-rival-BBC-Sky-aiming-reach-unheard-media.html
    "Coronavirus: Vitamin D reduces infection and impact of COVID-19, studies find
    People are being urged to take a vitamin D supplement to reduce their risk of becoming infected with COVID-19."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-vitamin-d-reduces-infection-and-impact-of-covid-19-studies-find-12081132
  • University should have been online this year, or everyone should have been deferred to 2021.

It is nuts they've been sent back.

Nigelb said:

What is her view on Gibraltar?
    Distant.
This discussion has been closed.