Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Now the Johnson/Cummings move to change the Brexit agreement threatens a US-UK trade deal – politica

Comments

• Options
    Meanwhile away from the fantasy island that Johnson lives in:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1306188389667024896

Maybe his aides just don't bother telling him what is actually happening anymore in case he can't cope?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

dixiedean said:

Boris Johnson is incoherent and can barely get his words out. Shambles.

That you feel the need to point it out proves you haven't watched it in 6 months!
    He's actually above par today.
    He seems different maybe trying to be more conciliatory and seeking to avoid confrontation with Angela
    He struggles with criticism from women. Was the same in London
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Friend of mine who suffered Covid-19 still feeling effects ~ 5 months later. In his 50s, no pre-existing conditions, very healthy & fit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    A very good article from a month back on alternative testing modalities:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/08/how-to-test-every-american-for-covid-19-every-day/615217/

It is not a £100bn 'moonshot' problem.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620

To be fair, Rayner not that good either to be honest. What a pointless debate.

Where are these 250k/60k numbers coming from?

Agree. Both poor. Disappointed with Rayner. Thought see might be quite good in a feisty sort of way.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Our testing system is wonderful is not a line which can hold.
    Even when repeated endlessly by Boris.

Transpose the capacity of another country to the UK and the capacity problem gets worse, doesn't it?
    People aren't trying to get a test in any other country.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    It will be a sad day for democracy when a government cannot renegue on a manifesto commitment, because of interference from unelected peers.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Transpose the capacity of another country to the UK and the capacity problem gets worse, doesn't it?
    True, but it would be a lot worse if the capacity hadn't increased as much as it has.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2020

Maybe his aides just don't bother telling him what is actually happening anymore in case he can't cope?

WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THE TESTING SYSTEM WOULD COME UNDER MASSIVE STRAIN WHEN SCHOOLS CAME BACK?

No one, literally no one could have seen this coming.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Angela did well in her first effort with good questions and good lines. A good deputy.

Boris Johnson who should be at the height of his powers was surprisingly poor again. The weakest PM in the commons I have seen, by some margin.

It must be so disheartening to be so poor at the job you have craved for so long. He clearly knows it. You almost feel sorry for him.
  • Options
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

True, but it would be a lot worse if the capacity hadn't increased as much as it has.
    Indeed. Whatever the capacity is, until the virus is gone demand will inevitably exceed it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    MattW said:

Strange stat from Angela Rayner - Average worker in social care earns just over £8 per hour.

Just not a credible claim, unless there is some statistical inexactitude involved - such as wrapping up all ages and apprentices in a single stat.

Taking travelling time for home carers into account.
  • Options

(...continued)

"You've got to understand the one core value that they hold above all others is hatred for what they consider weakness because that's what they believe strength is, hatred of weakness. And I mean passionate, sadistic hatred. And I'm not exaggerating. Believe me. Sadistic, passionate hatred, and that's what proves they're strong, their passionate hatred for weakness. Sometimes they will lump vulnerability in with weakness. They do that because people tend to start humbling themselves when they're in some compromising or overwhelming circumstance, and to them, that's an obvious sign of weakness.

"Kindness = weakness. Honesty = weakness. Compromise = weakness.

"They consider their very existence to be superior in every way to anyone who doesn't hate weakness as much as they do. They consider liberals to be weak people that are inferior, almost a different species, and the fact that liberals are so weak is why they have to unite in large numbers, which they find disgusting, but it's that disgust that is a true expression of their natural superiority.

"Go ahead and try to have a logical, rational conversation with them. Just keep in mind what I said here and be forewarned.”

Congratulations, that is one (two?) of the best posts I have ever read on this Site. You identify exactly the attraction of Trump and the motivation of his base. I've appreciated this for a long time and have had it confirmed repeatedly by a friend living in Florida, an exPat Brit and rabid Trump supporter. His animosity towards liberals, students, racial minorities knows no bounds. Whatever facts are presented to him are dismissed out of hand and replaced with fictions or dismissed as irrelevant.

Your friend confirms everything he has said and perhaps more colorfully and clearly. Until one understands this, one cannot understand Trump's support and one is always likely to underestimate it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Agreed.
    But saying it is world beating, or even satisfactory simply does not fit with the lived experience of folk.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,279
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:

WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THE TESTING SYSTEM WOULD COME UNDER MASSIVE STRAIN WHEN SCHOOLS CAME BACK?

I am sure it was foreseen but not the extensive number of children catching seasonal colds and causing overload in testings

2 of my 4 grandchildren have gone down with seasonal colds requiring testing
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    kjh said:

Agree. Both poor. Disappointed with Rayner. Thought see might be quite good in a feisty sort of way.
    Johnson isn't terrified by Raynor in the way he is by Starmer. The personal chemistry between them seemed quite good which blunted Raynor's attacks.

Johnson was still a bit tongue tied and blustering but there wasn't the fear in his eyes that there is with Starmer. I think Raynor was a bit disarmed by Johnson (I welcome what the PM says - several times) but she did OK in the circumstances. Not memorable. Starmer will be back.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,195
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:

You sure? I think I saw something from some guy a while ago, some chart of testing figures from Scotland after the schools went back there.

I must have imagined it.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,144
    Hodges seems to be developing a soft spot for Johnson.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I'm sure Boris would like to face Angela Rayner every week. Out of her depth and should at best be on the backbenches.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

IshmaelZ said:

Hurrah.

Barbados is taking back control from their unelected rulers.

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1306131477063700480?s=21

But without a referendum. Have these peasants no clue whatsoever about determining therwilloftherpeople?
    IIRC they keep on electing governments that plan to turn Barbados into a republic, so this is the will of the people.
    If only they were in a union with a wiser, larger neighbour that knew best, that would soon put a stopper on all this nonsense.
    Not necessarily, Sturgeon has said she wants to keep the Queen even if Scotland leaves the Union
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Hurrah.

But without a referendum. Have these peasants no clue whatsoever about determining therwilloftherpeople?
    IIRC they keep on electing governments that plan to turn Barbados into a republic, so this is the will of the people.
    If only they were in a union with a wiser, larger neighbour that knew best, that would soon put a stopper on all this nonsense.
    Not necessarily, Sturgeon has said she wants to keep the Queen even if Scotland leaves the Union
    What about the next King?
  • Options

Alistair said:

I am sure it was foreseen but not the extensive number of children catching seasonal colds and causing overload in testings

Who could have predicted almost every child would have a cold within weeks of schools starting?
    Absolutely everyone who works in a school for a start.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Agreed.
    But saying it is world beating, or even satisfactory simply does not fit with the lived experience of folk.
    Though if you're trying to defend a claim to be world beating then having the fact that it is, is at least on your side.

It'd be a completely different story if we were having the same stories of difficulties but on top of that were testing less per capita than other countries instead of more per capita.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Hurrah.

That would be an interesting way to define a "generation" in constitutional affairs.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

(...continued)

"You've got to understand the one core value that they hold above all others is hatred for what they consider weakness because that's what they believe strength is, hatred of weakness. And I mean passionate, sadistic hatred. And I'm not exaggerating. Believe me. Sadistic, passionate hatred, and that's what proves they're strong, their passionate hatred for weakness. Sometimes they will lump vulnerability in with weakness. They do that because people tend to start humbling themselves when they're in some compromising or overwhelming circumstance, and to them, that's an obvious sign of weakness.

"Kindness = weakness. Honesty = weakness. Compromise = weakness.

"They consider their very existence to be superior in every way to anyone who doesn't hate weakness as much as they do. They consider liberals to be weak people that are inferior, almost a different species, and the fact that liberals are so weak is why they have to unite in large numbers, which they find disgusting, but it's that disgust that is a true expression of their natural superiority.

"Go ahead and try to have a logical, rational conversation with them. Just keep in mind what I said here and be forewarned.”

Hence their favourite expression "Cuck" - meaning weak or servile man.

These are excellent posts - though one should bear in mind that "liberal" in the American usage is different from in the correct usage.
  • Options

Boris was initially tongue-tied v Angela and seemed to want to avoid confrontation but as PMQs progressed has become more assured

I am convinced he has been very badly affected by covid and it can be seen in his manner and slow responses
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kjh said:

Johnson isn't terrified by Raynor in the way he is by Starmer. The personal chemistry between them seemed quite good which blunted Raynor's attacks.

Johnson was still a bit tongue tied and blustering but there wasn't the fear in his eyes that there is with Starmer. I think Raynor was a bit disarmed by Johnson (I welcome what the PM says - several times) but she did OK in the circumstances. Not memorable. Starmer will be back.
    Rayner left school without qualifications, Starmer is an Oxford educated barrister, that is the difference but Boris also cannot see a woman he does not want to woo so that may also have something to do with it
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Hurrah.

That would be an interesting way to define a "generation" in constitutional affairs.
    Perhaps unionists would be wise to hold the next referendum in this "generation".
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

Who could have predicted almost every child would have a cold within weeks of schools starting?
    AIUI if a child just has a runny nose and no other symptoms it isn't the virus (because the virus is unproductive of mucus). I don't think they need a test.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Hurrah.

All Sturgeon has said is there should be a debate about the long-term future of the monarchy, she has not committed to a Republic even under a King Charles IIIrd or King William Vth
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

Rayner left school without qualifications, Starmer is an Oxford educated barrister, that is the difference but Boris also cannot see a woman he does not want to woo so that may also have something to do with it
    Glad you said that not me. I`ve never been impressed by Raynor`s intellect to be honest. Johnson is doing a good job of proving to us that he`s thick as mince though. He`s simply not up to it. What a load of crap PMQs was today.
  • Options
    Brom said:

I'm sure Boris would like to face Angela Rayner every week. Out of her depth and should at best be on the backbenches.

She is OK but she isn't Keir Starmer.

I suspect Johnson's fear of Starmer will grow by the week. Butterflies in his stomach. He must be looking at ways of avoiding him.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

Known as 'freshers flu' in my nearest town, which has a university. Every September, whole place is swept with it (although it is probably several different ones to be honest).
  • Options
    I think the Government need to advertise what is and what isn't a Covid symptom. Im sure loads of people with snotty /runny noses are going for a test despite that not being a symptom.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

AIUI if a child just has a runny nose and no other symptoms it isn't the virus (because the virus is unproductive of mucus). I don't think they need a test.
    Not only do they not need a test it is a waste of resources that they are being given one.
  • Options
    Chris said:

It will be a sad day for democracy when a government cannot renegue on a manifesto commitment, because of interference from unelected peers.
    Things are bad when DD is critical of a Brexiteer Government. A vanity by-election on the cards?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Agreed.
    Though if you're trying to defend a claim to be world beating then having the fact that it is, is at least on your side.

It'd be a completely different story if we were having the same stories of difficulties but on top of that were testing less per capita than other countries instead of more per capita.
    Except that it isn't world beating.
    Simply having the most tests is not the metric.
    Getting them quickly, locally, and crucially, getting the results in time are far more important.
    To people who are worried about having it and not being able to work.
    They don't give a monkeys about whether we are testing more than France or Germany.
  • Options

I think the Government need to advertise what is and what isn't a Covid symptom. Im sure loads of people with snotty /runny noses are going for a test despite that not being a symptom.

Why are they being indulged? The testing stations should be turning them away.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

And that is the nub of the problem
  • Options
    I thought Rayner did fine, and the Cummings jibe was good. As Big G noted, the major difference was that Boris was much less confrontational, deliberately so, than he is with Starmer. I assume that he, or his adviser(s), decided it would not be a good look if he was seen to be bullying or belittling a woman.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,310
    edited September 2020

Boris was initially tongue-tied v Angela and seemed to want to avoid confrontation but as PMQs progressed has become more assured

I am convinced he has been very badly affected by covid and it can be seen in his manner and slow responses
    Yes, I agree BigG and it concerns me.

Mrs PtP got the bug not long after Boris and although she recovered much as he did those of us that know her well can see that she is still not fully recovered to her former state of fitness and energy. It is worrying that the person running the country might be suffering similarly.

I wish him no ill. I'm as sympathetic as I would be to anyone recovering from a major illness. We cannot however have someone in his position who is not physically or mentally up to it, for whatever reason.

Is it entirely unrealistic for him to take a three month break and hand over to a deputy?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Hurrah.

Well you had your chance in 2014.
    The wisdom of our larger neighbour has deteriorated alarmingly since then.
  • Options
    Rugby club outing to Doncaster Races stopping off at several pubs leads to lockdown in Cynon Taff Rhondda.
    No one could have predicted that. :smile:
  • Options

From the Irish Daily Mirror
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

Glad you said that not me. I`ve never been impressed by Raynor`s intellect to be honest. Johnson is doing a good job of proving to us that he`s thick as mince though. He`s simply not up to it. What a load of crap PMQs was today.
    I don't agree on Boris obviously but Starmer is at least intellectually capable of challenging him at PMQs and being an effective Leader of the Opposition which was not the case with Corbyn and would not have been the case with Long Bailey.

Rayner is a female Prescott to Starmer's Blair
  • Options

Alistair said:

You sure? I think I saw something from some guy a while ago, some chart of testing figures from Scotland after the schools went back there.

I must have imagined it.
    Winkey smiley.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    Barnesian said:

The loss of sense of smell and taste is probably the one that's confusing people because that happens commonly with any cold or flu.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,676
    Barnesian said:

That's interesting, because it clearly indicates that the precautionary principle of any school must be to exclude any child with the sniffles etc - never mind if mummy, daddy and siblings have to isolate till a negative test comes through.
  • Options
    As a reminder this is what happened in Scotland for school age tests when schools went back.

• Options
    Stocky said:

Why are they being indulged? The testing stations should be turning them away.
    Tbf they seem to be turning a shitload of people away currently.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Barnesian said:

The loss of sense of smell and taste is probably the one that's confusing people because that happens commonly with any cold or flu.
    AIUI with Coronavirus it is pretty extreme.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

I don't agree on Boris obviously but Starmer is at least intellectually capable of challenging him at PMQs and being an effective Leader of the Opposition which was not the case with Corbyn and would not have been the case with Long Bailey.

Lol - Rayner is a "female Prescott". I`m sure she`ll appreciate that.
  • Options
    So in terms of actual tests which Country does more?
  • Options
    How many people typically get a cold in the winter ?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

As a reminder this is what happened in Scotland for school age tests when schools went back.

Until I see an Alistair Hames trend line on that data I'm not sure what to make of what happened in Scotland.
  • Options

Mrs PtP got the bug not long after Boris and although she recovered much as he did those of us that know her well can see that she is still not fully recovered to her former state of fitness and energy. It is worrying that the person running the country might be suffering similarly.

I wish him no ill. I'm as sympathetic as I would be to anyone recovering from a major illness. We cannot however have someone in his position who is not physically or mentally up to it, for whatever reason.

Is it entirely unrealistic for him to take a three month break and hand over to a deputy?
    Re your last sentence it probably is unrealistic with brexit coming to a head but I hope in early 2021 he stands down

I am sorry to be honest for Boris and while I want him to leave, I will not become abusive or otherwise to him, that is not my way
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    Has PB gone ad's free? Looks like Mike's pulled the ads?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,500
    edited September 2020
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

Lol - Rayner is a "female Prescott". I`m sure she`ll appreciate that.
    She apparently met him for a cup of Dandelion and Burdock this morning.

Quite why she thinks Prezza can teach her anything...
  • Options
    Interesting look back at last winter:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7810129/Flu-cases-EIGHT-TIMES-higher-point-UK-winter.html

An early start to the flu season has left 2,092 needing hospital care for flu so far
    By comparison, there were 256 hospital admissions at the same point last year
    The number of ICU admissions has also spiked year-on-year, from 169 to 540
  • Options
    edited September 2020

So in terms of actual tests which Country does more?
    -
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,953
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Boris Johnson is incoherent and can barely get his words out. Shambles.

That you feel the need to point it out proves you haven't watched it in 6 months!
    He's actually above par today.
    He seems different maybe trying to be more conciliatory and seeking to avoid confrontation with Angela
    He struggles with criticism from women. Was the same in London
    I think he was far less confrontational with Angela, almost certainly because of her sex.

Actually, he came off better than normal because of that (still crap, but not the unmitigated disaster that usually transpires)
  • Options

I thought Rayner did fine, and the Cummings jibe was good. As Big G noted, the major difference was that Boris was much less confrontational, deliberately so, than he is with Starmer. I assume that he, or his adviser(s), decided it would not be a good look if he was seen to be bullying or belittling a woman.

That is right. There was a definite change of tactics by the Prime Minister: less confrontational and attempting to answer the questions (even if the figures might be disputed). Boris's sixth answer rant was replaced by a speech so long it is a wonder the Speaker did not curtail it.

The change was, as you say, probably motivated at least in part by concern not to be seen as bullying a woman, but the new approach extended also to other questioners, including leaders of the SNP and LibDems, so perhaps Number 10 has noticed that previous PMQs have not met with universal acclaim among Conservative backbenchers.

One word of advice for the Prime Minister: if you can name, off the cuff, primary schools in far-off constituencies, cynics might wonder if the question is planted. Obviously, these are named in his folder but you can have too much of a good thing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"Each year, children have around 6 to 8 colds, and adults have 2 to 4 colds."

https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-gb/252/epidemiology

Strangely I haven't had a cold at all this year.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Pulpstar said:

I tend to get two a winter - one in October/November and one in Feb/March.

In 2008-09 I was out of work and not in education. I didn't get one cold. I made up for it the following winter when I was in work. It felt like I spent more time with a cold than without one.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

Are you implying he fancies a bit of Angela?
  • Options

That is right. There was a definite change of tactics by the Prime Minister: less confrontational and attempting to answer the questions (even if the figures might be disputed). Boris's sixth answer rant was replaced by a speech so long it is a wonder the Speaker did not curtail it.

The change was, as you say, probably motivated at least in part by concern not to be seen as bullying a woman, but the new approach extended also to other questioners, including leaders of the SNP and LibDems, so perhaps Number 10 has noticed that previous PMQs have not met with universal acclaim among Conservative backbenchers.

One word of advice for the Prime Minister: if you can name, off the cuff, primary schools in far-off constituencies, cynics might wonder if the question is planted. Obviously, these are named in his folder but you can have too much of a good thing.
    Boris's 6th answer speech was perfectly teed-up by Rayner's asking if grouse shooting was his priority. It gave him the perfect excuse to say what his priorities were and so his no doubt pre-prepared speech was a direct answer to her question.

Own goal by Rayner at the end there.
  • Options

Re your last sentence it probably is unrealistic with brexit coming to a head but I hope in early 2021 he stands down

I am sorry to be honest for Boris and while I want him to leave, I will not become abusive or otherwise to him, that is not my way
    Agree very much with your last sentence. This shouldn't be a matter of Party Politics.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Agree. Both poor. Disappointed with Rayner. Thought she might be quite good in a feisty sort of way.
    I thought she played it way too safe: possibly conscious of appearing overly feisty and somewhat unserious on her debut.

But feisty and fiery is very much her personal brand – she would have been better playing to her strengths IMO.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Either you're asymptomatic, or a genetic freak. :smile:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

Are you implying he fancies a bit of Angela?
    'Lady Swire tells how she watched Mr Johnson as he ‘stuffs in more mouthfuls and knocks back the cheapo plonk at an alarming rate’.

She describes how she looked at his ‘pale, sweaty face’ and he looked back ‘as if he is working out if I’m shaggable’, adding: ‘He’d probably do the same if a sheep walked in the room.’ She describes Mr Johnson as ‘cheeky’, ‘flippant’, ‘enthusiastic’ and ‘bombastic’.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8736673/Sasha-Swire-claims-former-Prime-Minister-incandescent-anger-Brexit-vote.html
  • Options
    Florida will go down to the wire, I think.

‘A heart pumping blue blood:’ How fast-growing Orlando threatens Trump’s reelection
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/15/orlando-democratic-voters-trump-reelection-415526
    ...Recent Orange County elections — which showcased Democrats’ growing mastery of vote-by-mail absentee ballots amid the pandemic — served as a warning sign to Republicans who worry that the county could run up the score so much that it puts Biden over the top in this closely fought state.

“There’s a lot of nervousness from Republicans over the new wave of Democrats, their ability to turn out voters and their coordination. It should be an eye-opener for Republicans,” said former Republican state Rep. Mike Miller, who lost one of the county commission races....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

Ding dong! (In best Leslie Phillips voice).
  • Options
    Alistair said:

GIN1138 said:

Barnesian said:

AIUI with Coronavirus it is pretty extreme.
    Except when it doesn't happen at all – which is the case in the vast majority of cases!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

If you can restrict your interactions enough with other people you probably won't get a cold.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,500

MattW said:

Strange stat from Angela Rayner - Average worker in social care earns just over £8 per hour.

Just not a credible claim, unless there is some statistical inexactitude involved - such as wrapping up all ages and apprentices in a single stat.

Taking travelling time for home carers into account.
    Travelling time is included aiui.
  • Options
    England lose two wickets with the first two balls of the innings.
  • Options
    If we only test people with covid symptoms we won't be able to identify the ~50% of cases that are asymptomatic, we won't be isolating those people and we won't be controlling the spread of the infection with testing and contact tracing.

It's the same scenario we were in in February and March.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

It's probably because I've been washing my hands, keeping a distance and wearing a mask.

I had my flu jab yesterday. No after effects of sore arm or sniffles which I sometimes get. So maybe you're right.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

If you can restrict your interactions enough with other people you probably won't get a cold.
    I too haven't had a cold since lockdown. I wonder if we are going to have a quiet flu season?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Sorry - I assumed @Barnesian is not a recluse.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

England lose two wickets with the first two balls of the innings.

Consistent, at least.

Though Morgan's gone and spoiled it.
  • Options

kjh said:

Agree. Both poor. Disappointed with Rayner. Thought she might be quite good in a feisty sort of way.
    I thought she played it way too safe: possibly conscious of appearing overly feisty and somewhat unserious on her debut.

But feisty and fiery is very much her personal brand – she would have been better playing to her strengths IMO.
    Absolutely agree.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Simply being very careful to wash my hands properly, under the fingernails, several times a day and after all contact has prevented my getting a cold for several years now.

I was advised of this by a female teacher many years ago and it worked – almost all colds are passed on via the hands, with the germs lurking under the fingernails.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Has PB gone ad's free? Looks like Mike's pulled the ads?

It must be a precaution to avoid the risk of political propaganda appearing on the site.
  • Options

I haven't heard it so I can't comment. My only take away is Rayner's Cummings gag might make tonight's news.

I find it difficult to feel any empathy with Johnson. He has seldom been empathetic to others.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

kjh said:

Starmer and Rayner have completely different strengths/styles. Starmer exploits his at PMQ. I really don't think Rayner did at all. She can be quite effective, but she held back and almost seemed deferential, which isn't her style.

The surprising thing was that under these circumstances Boris didn't dominate. He really isn't his old self at all.
  • Options
    "[MPs] need to recognise that it is their job to defend and uphold our liberties, even in a pandemic, or sacrifice any lingering pretence to be a democratic brake on executive power."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/15/parliament-must-stand-executive-bent-restricting-us/
  • Options
    More than two thirds of young Americans do not know that six million Jewish people were killed in the Holocaust, according to a survey.

The US-wide study found one in 10 adults under the age of 40 does not believe the atrocity happened.

It also showed 11% of respondents believe Jewish people caused the Holocaust.

https://news.sky.com/story/two-thirds-of-young-americans-dont-know-six-million-jews-were-killed-in-the-holocaust-survey-finds-12073050
  • Options
    300+ schools now fully or partially closed.
    This is a drain on the economy.
    Testing. Not numbers, but rapid results is key.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited September 2020
This discussion has been closed.