Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options

@TheScreamingEagles

Indian
    Satchins (Behind Central Station)
    Dabbawal (High Bridge or Jesmond)

English
    Blackfriars (Friar Street)
    Marco Polo (Dean Street)
    Redhouse (Sandhill - Quayside)

Thank you.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

That should kill any remaining tourism stone dead:

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/1297931318332923905?s=20

Fine but France is the nation most visited by tourists in the world, the UK is only the 10th most visited nation (though London is the 3rd most visited city)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_international_visitors
    That can’t be true we’re better than they are
    We had and arguably still have a bigger economy but they have Paris, the Alps for skiing, the south of France with better weather for their beaches as well as more countryside and still history like we have with their chateaux and museums
    But they don’t have the Queen, so they can’t have more visitors, surely.
  • Options

FPT

Quite what? Without Bercow, there was a general election so that point is moot. Until then, it was possible (if unlikely) to construct a Labour government to revoke Article 50 and call an election.
    No it wasn't. Do the maths and show how you get a majority behind a Labour government.
    It depends how busy were dentists on the day of the vote.
    There wouldn't be one day of a vote, for there to be a functioning government there are votes practically every day. You can't rely on the dentist for all of them.

The numbers weren't there in the last Parliament for what you propose.
    The offer from Labour was purdah terms.
    Purdah can exist during an election campaign. Purdah can't exist for the approximately ten months it would take to pass second referendum legislation, hold a referendum campaign, hold the referendum, then have a General election.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Fine but France is the nation most visited by tourists in the world, the UK is only the 10th most visited nation (though London is the 3rd most visited city)

We had and arguably still have a bigger economy but they have Paris, the Alps for skiing, the south of France with better weather for their beaches as well as more countryside and still history like we have with their chateaux and museums
    And people are risking their lives to cross the channel on rubber dinghies to leave all that?

Are they mad?
    As they get paid more in the UK and are less likely to be jobless, they would still holiday in France
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,948
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, that's right. They're a republic, dammit. Is it the Fifth one? I forget.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

In any negotiation there is a strong party and a weak party. The UK is the weak party, this is obvious.

This is the problem, you actually think the UK is weak.
    I know you are an uber-loyalist but perhaps you can elucidate on that
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2020

In any negotiation there is a strong party and a weak party. The UK is the weak party, this is obvious.

He said the UK is the weak party . . . it is not. We have a higher GDP per capita than they do, a higher median income than they do and they have a trading surplus with us they're keen to protect. On any objective measure we are as strong or stronger per capita than they are.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

What penny needs to drop in Brussels? No Deal will be no problem for the UK, why do we even care what they think now?

That the UK is going to be an equal sovereign nation and not a supplicant colony subjugated to their rules.
    Equal my arse
    You're right we're not equal, we're better than them. But I'm being polite.
    That’s the problem you actually believe that rubbish.
    Its not rubbish. How would you like to measure it?

GDP per capita?
    Median household income?
    Median wages?

On any reasonable metric the UK is better than the EU.
    This is all so much bollocks.

The UK is not "better" than the EU, and the EU is not "better" than the UK. The UK is simply too different to exist successfully within the EU.

The UK and the EU won't come to trade terms because they are culturally misaligned, and if there is one thing you think everyone would've come to understand by now it's that culture usually trumps economics in the here and now. The EU thinks it's the sole legitimate voice of the European people and wants the UK locked into its orbit; the UK thinks that the EU is a meddlesome, overbearing pain in the arse and wants free of it. The position of each is anathema to the other and neither is willing to budge just to make it a bit easier and more convenient for freight to criss-cross the Channel.

The net result of this is not that the EU will offer concessions because it has a trade deficit with the UK and wants a few more fish, or that the UK will cave because the EU is bigger than it is. It's that the two will at best set about ignoring each other, or at worst come to hate each other, and in any event will just grow further and further and further apart.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

The Sun's reporting of the EU basically saying "sod off" is very entertaining

Barnier's team doesn't have a mandate to say anything except sod off. The real negotiations begin in the 'tunnel' phase (or whatever it's called) and involve the Heads of Government of the 27.
    Perhaps if the UK stopped undermining the deal it signed, some progress might be made. Let's be honest they wanted no trade deal and they're going to blame the EU for it.
    Given Barnier's disgraceful attitude no trade deal is the best thing that can happen right now it seems, unless they change tact.

After we've gone through no deal and diverged from them then maybe they will come to their senses and start talking properly. If so then a deal can be agreed later, but we will have already diverged more from them by then.
    Barnier is trying to undermine the deal the EU signed, is he? No.

The EU doesn't care about No Deal, how many times is this going to need to be said. It's blatantly clear to anyone not blinkered the EU just need to sit and wait and we'll come back to them.
    Yes he is on the LPF he is explicitly undermining it.

I don't think we will come back to them but so be it we will see. I'm quite content for No Deal too - its people like you that seem most flustered about it.
    I think it's less complex than that. Barnier is just going for EU-max. He's been given a wishlist, and he has not really diverted from it in the entire course of the negotiations. Because he can't. Barnier is a civil servant - he couldn't produce some flourish of a great deal even if he wanted to because he doesn't have the power to make decisions that affect Spanish and French fishermen etc. Frustratingly for all concerned, this phase is just neither side giving much until the real negotiations start. What we can say is thank God our negotiators aren't giving any concessions at this stage - that would be the height of foolishness. Basically thank God we've not got May and her 'negotiating team'.
    All of which also means it would be completely pointless having a longer negotiating period and just an excuse for time wasting. Liam Fox’s comment about the “easiest trade deal ever” was correct, the technical side of the conversation is easy if there is political will because they start from a position of total alignment. It’s the politics that’s hard and a longer time period doesn’t help that.

Is everyone going to get this excited about whether the Uk signs a trade deal with the US, Canada or India? Bizarre what people get fixated on, the established global trade order has had nitroglycerin detonated under it in the last few years. And it’s got the sqrt of zero to do with UK-EU relations.
  • Options

nichomar said:

What penny needs to drop in Brussels? No Deal will be no problem for the UK, why do we even care what they think now?

That the UK is going to be an equal sovereign nation and not a supplicant colony subjugated to their rules.
    Equal my arse
    We can be splendid. But equality is about the maths.

The EU is roughly 5 times the GDP, 7 times the population.

Any reciprocal deal is worth a lot more to us than it is to them, and that matters in a negotiation.

It's nothing personal, it's just maths. Or, to quote BoJo's favourite film, "It's not personal Sonny, it's strictly business."
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

He said the UK is the weak party . . . it is not. We have a higher GDP per capita than they do, a higher median income than they do and they have a trading surplus with us. On any objective measure we are as strong or stronger per capita than they are.
    It's not a per capita issue. Mo Farah may be stronger and fitter, on per-cell basis, than Mike Tyson. Who you gonna back in a fight?
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

GDP per capita?
    Median household income?
    dMedian wages?

The UK is not "better" than the EU, and the EU is not "better" than the UK. The UK is simply too different to exist successfully within the EU.

The UK and the EU won't come to trade terms because they are culturally misaligned, and if there is one thing you think everyone would've come to understand by now it's that culture usually trumps economics in the here and now. The EU thinks it's the sole legitimate voice of the European people and wants the UK locked into its orbit; the UK thinks that the EU is a meddlesome, overbearing pain in the arse and wants free of it. The position of each is anathema to the other and neither is willing to budge just to make it a bit easier and more convenient for freight to criss-cross the Channel.

The net result of this is not that the EU will offer concessions because it has a trade deficit with the UK and wants a few more fish, or that the UK will cave because the EU is bigger than it is. It's that the two will at best set about ignoring each other, or at worst come to hate each other, and in any event will just grow further and further and further apart.
    Well said . . . and that is why I said "as equals" originally but @nichomar wrote "equal my arse" so that's why I said "You're right we're not equal, we're better than them. But I'm being polite."

If he hadn't objected to the term equals, I wouldn't have needed to say why we're stronger than they are.

The problem Europhiles have is they they think more people equals better rather than being better off is better.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    It depends what you mean by 'weak'

The UK may lose out from a no deal more economically in the short term than the EU (though I'm not sure that's the case). Its certainly debatable because we are in an unprecedented situation.

The point is that the voters don;t mind. They know that brexit is their decision, their mandate. They know that because they repeated the order multiple times.

The political ramifications of a no deal are far, far milder than the ramifications of a bad deal. And so the UK can stick to its position comfortably.

Is that the case in Brussels? who knows. Who knows what the 27 will really make of a no deal. They are being told we will buckle. We won;t. Boris can't.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

He said the UK is the weak party . . . it is not. We have a higher GDP per capita than they do, a higher median income than they do and they have a trading surplus with us they're keen to protect. On any objective measure we are as strong or stronger per capita than they are.
    Per capita? Presumably you think Monaco has the whip hand in negotiations with the EU too?
  • Options

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

Any reciprocal deal is worth a lot more to us than it is to them, and that matters in a negotiation.

It's nothing personal, it's just maths. Or, to quote BoJo's favourite film, "It's not personal Sonny, it's strictly business."
    Spot on as usual Stuart but I'm afraid Philip is too far down the rabbit hole to acknowledge facts.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

5 times the GDP, 7 times the population?

That maths clearly shows why we are stronger and better off than they are. Why is it not 7 times the GDP, 7 times the population? Or even 8 times the GDP, 7 times the population?

More population each of whom is poorer than you are, is not better.

A reciprocal deal is not necessarily worth a lot more to us than it is to them, especially when they're the ones with the trade surplus to lose.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

People go to the South of France for sunnier weathier, to the Alps for Skiing etc, none of which we have. There are not that many celebrities taking their yachts to the North Sea and English Channel compared to the Mediterranean

As I posted too more people go to London than to Paris, so if we did not have the Royal Family and royal weddings and jubilees etc centred on London we would have even fewer visitors relative to France
  • Options

Per capita? Presumably you think Monaco has the whip hand in negotiations with the EU too?
    Monaco GDP per capita $185,741
    EU GDP per capita $43,188 (and I believe that is inflated by including us, the true picture is less than that)

Yes. Yes I do.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

People go to the South of France for sunnier weathier, to the Alps for Skiing etc, none of which we have. There are not that many celebrities taking their yachts to the North Sea and English Channel compared to the Mediterranean

As I posted too more people go to London than to Paris, so if we did not have the Royal Family and royal weddings and jubilees etc centred on London we would have even fewer visitors relative to France
    You can’t say that for sure.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

That's not true because the people doing the negotiating are not the treasury, they are politicians. They are looking at the political ramifications.

The impact of a cave in deal is simply horrible for the conservatives. Horrible. They get this wrong they unleash the BP, this time for good. The tories won't get another chance from Brexiteer voters.

That's far, far worse than some short term economic disruption they can blame on COVID.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    HYUFD said:
    Interesting everyone always points to Notherners in this kind of post. Not sure its relevant anymore now that much of the BBC output is from Manchester. What you really dont here on national tv nowadays (or ever really) is west country accents, unless as a dim stereotype in a drama.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt it, we could just leverage Windsor and Buck house better If the royals weren’t about, They could be open 365 days a year, it doesn’t limit visitors to Versailles that the French royal family are long gone.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

He said the UK is the weak party . . . it is not. We have a higher GDP per capita than they do, a higher median income than they do and they have a trading surplus with us. On any objective measure we are as strong or stronger per capita than they are.
    It's not a per capita issue. Mo Farah may be stronger and fitter, on per-cell basis, than Mike Tyson. Who you gonna back in a fight?
    Of course it is a per capita issue. Everything in economics should be meaningfully considered per capita, it is the only metric that really matters.

Luxembourg has a GDP of $70.89 bn, $116,639 per capita
    Nigeria has a GDP of $397.3 bn, $2,028 per capita

Would you rather be Nigeria or Luxembourg there?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Interesting everyone always points to Notherners in this kind of post. Not sure its relevant anymore now that much of the BBC output is from Manchester. What you really dont here on national tv nowadays (or ever really) is west country accents, unless as a dim stereotype in a drama.
    When Michael Crick turns on the BBC, you know they have a problem
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt it, we could just leverage Windsor and Buck house better If the royals weren’t about, They could be open 365 days a year, it doesn’t limit visitors to Versailles that the French royal family are long gone.
    HYUFD is also arguing for the Panda treatment of the RF - maintained at great public expense to breed very publicly. Rather inhumane really.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD is also arguing for the Panda treatment of the RF - maintained at great public expense to breed very publicly. Rather inhumane really.
    They earn more than a President and their family would and cost about the same as maintaining and protecting the Macrons if not slightly cheaper and certainly cheaper than protecting the POTUS
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

You can’t say that for sure.
    You see if you can get him to prove it without using data for tourism in Outer Mongolia in the 1960s, or confined to visiting Madame Tussdaud's. He's still not accepted that tthere are rather more Scottish fishermen than the skippers of the largest class of boats.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

They earn more than a President and their family would and cost about the same as maintaining and maintaining the Macrons and Trumps if not slightly cheaper
    But the damage to the moral fibre of the nation is enormous. You can't hold them up to the Cub Scouts as an example any more.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    PB Rule No 1

Never play with your instrument in your dressing gown

https://twitter.com/petercrouch/status/1297892853004357632
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Of course it is a per capita issue. Everything in economics should be meaningfully considered per capita, it is the only metric that really matters.

I would rather be the Nigerian trade negotiator but I would rather live in Luxembourg
  • Options
    If the taxpayer is to fund FTTP, we should have ownership of the asset. Unlike FTTC where we just threw the money at BT and said "here"
  • Options

FPT

Quite what? Without Bercow, there was a general election so that point is moot. Until then, it was possible (if unlikely) to construct a Labour government to revoke Article 50 and call an election.
    No it wasn't. Do the maths and show how you get a majority behind a Labour government.
    It depends how busy were dentists on the day of the vote.
    There wouldn't be one day of a vote, for there to be a functioning government there are votes practically every day. You can't rely on the dentist for all of them.

The numbers weren't there in the last Parliament for what you propose.
    The offer from Labour was purdah terms.
    Purdah can exist during an election campaign. Purdah can't exist for the approximately ten months it would take to pass second referendum legislation, hold a referendum campaign, hold the referendum, then have a General election.
    Labour offered to revoke Article 50 and call an election, with purdah terms apart from the revocation. A second referendum was not part of this, and nor was governing for months.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

They earn more than a President and their family would and cost about the same as maintaining and maintaining the Macrons and Trumps if not slightly cheaper
    But the damage to the moral fibre of the nation is enormous. You can't hold them up to the Cub Scouts as an example any more.
    The Queen you can, compared to many of her ancestors and family she is a model of moral probity
  • Options

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

That maths clearly shows why we are stronger and better off than they are. Why is it not 7 times the GDP, 7 times the population? Or even 8 times the GDP, 7 times the population?

A reciprocal deal is not necessarily worth a lot more to us than it is to them, especially when they're the ones with the trade surplus to lose.
    OK, if you want to do "per head" numbers...

UK exports per head to the EU are way bigger than EU exports per head to the UK.

You can't just flit between per head and block totals to shore up a case.

I could respect a "we don't care what the EU thinks", but the whining that the EU aren't treating us as equals that some Brexit supporters go in for is fairly pathetic. Especially when the early days of Brexit were all about how we held all the cards and could bend the EU to our will.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

We are talking about relative strength, and perhaps you would have been triggered a bit less if CHB had written "In any negotiation there is a stronger party and a weaker party."

The Monaco question nails it anyway.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

No but it does limit visitors for the likes of royal weddings which earn billions

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/apr/29/royal-wedding-tourism-boost
  • Options
    Stumps on Day 4 of Test

No play at all tomorrow a distinct possibility, yet draw is still 1.46, incredible

Storm Francis a complete myth!!

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

They earn more than a President and their family would and cost about the same as maintaining and protecting the Macrons if not slightly cheaper and certainly cheaper than protecting the POTUS
    No we just have an Irish style head of state who has a four bed detached, greets visitors and opens supermarkets, gives out the odd gong not really expensive.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

GDP per capita?
    Median household income?
    Median wages?

I think that's correct, but I think indifference is more likely than hostility. What we want, and what most European politicians want, are just not compatible. People have talked about the EU's coronavirus fund as being their "Hamilton moment." Their dream, our nightmare.

What it comes down to in the end, is that like the Russians, we view WWII very differently to most European politicians. For us a brutal test which we and the Russians passed. For the rest, the point where their systems of governance failed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

That makes no sense at all.

You do realise don't you that Versailles is not in Paris? So Versailles is regularly getting tourists precisely because France doesn't have a monarch clogging up the Palace and blocking it from access to tourists? But they don't appear in Paris's tourism figures precisely because its not in Paris. That undermines your argument and goes to why the whole of France gets more tourism than we do.

If we had no monarchy we could open up Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace to tourism every day of the year just like Versailles gets.

Which do you think gets more annual visits by tourists - Versailles, Buckingham or Windsor? Its not even close.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

No we just have an Irish style head of state who has a four bed detached, greets visitors and opens supermarkets, gives out the odd gong not really expensive.
    We cannot have an Irish style head of state, we are a permanent UN Security Council member and a G7 and G20 member unlike Ireland, we would at least have to have a President the equivalent of Macron in pomp, security detail and residences and powers to reflect our status.

I have nothing against the president of Ireland but barely anyone has heard of him outside Ireland and he raises no revenue
  • Options

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

That's not true because the people doing the negotiating are not the treasury, they are politicians. They are looking at the political ramifications.

The impact of a cave in deal is simply horrible for the conservatives. Horrible. They get this wrong they unleash the BP, this time for good. The tories won't get another chance from Brexiteer voters.

That's far, far worse than some short term economic disruption they can blame on COVID.
    I was trying to look at things from the Euro side, and consider why they can't give the UK whatever it wants.

Fine. Then prepare for No Deal. But don't spend half your time insulting Eurocrats (Nazi punishments, remember those?) and half your time whining about not being taken at your inflated self-estimation.

Get the prep for no deal in place; the forms, the penpushers, the lorry parks. Because yes- the government has a choice between the pain of signing a deal and the pain of no deal.

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of people.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,570

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

I don't think you're fully appreciating the situation. The UK has a 72 billion dollar trade deficit (pa) with the EU. To take it to the extreme; if all trade between our blocs ceases, the UK is 72 bn a year richer, the EU 72 bn poorer.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

UK exports per head to the EU are way bigger than EU exports per head to the UK.

I could respect a "we don't care what the EU thinks", but the whining that the EU aren't treating us as equals that some Brexit supporters go in for is fairly pathetic. Especially when the early days of Brexit were all about how we held all the cards and could bend the EU to our will.
    I'm not whining I'm saying we should walk away unless or until the EU treats us as equals. If that means we trade at No Deal for a few years and shrink our balance of payments deficit with them, then I am OK to live with that.
  • Options

@CarlottaVance

I'm a Brexiteer. I think both the UK and the EU (not just the UK, and not just the EU either) are being pricks over the full FTA.

State Aid and Fish (WTF?) are silly hills to die-on for a full FTA that is in both parties interests, and where both have come so far already.

Both need to put their cocks away, get round the negotiating table, eat some humble pie where necessary, and do a f--king deal.

I may not have expressed it that way but I agree entirely
  • Options

PB Rule No 1

Alistair Campbell?
  • Options

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

I don't think you're fully appreciating the situation. The UK has a 72 billion dollar trade deficit (pa) with the EU. To take it to the extreme; if all trade between our blocs ceases, the UK is 72 bn a year richer, the EU 72 bn poorer.
    It doesn't work that way. 🤦🏻‍♂️

The EU has got a trade surplus to lose with us, but don't exaggerate.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

I'm not whining I'm saying we should walk away unless or until the EU treats us as equals. If that means we trade at No Deal for a few years and shrink our balance of payments deficit with them, then I am OK to live with that.
    That’s fine but I’m sure there would be some unforeseen consequences to that.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

You do realise don't you that Versailles is not in Paris? So Versailles is regularly getting tourists precisely because France doesn't have a monarch clogging up the Palace and blocking it from access to tourists? But they don't appear in Paris's tourism figures precisely because its not in Paris. That undermines your argument and goes to why the whole of France gets more tourism than we do.

If we had no monarchy we could open up Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace to tourism every day of the year just like Versailles gets.

Which do you think gets more annual visits by tourists - Versailles, Buckingham or Windsor? Its not even close.
    Versailles is in the ile de France, the Paris region or Region Parisienne
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,570

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

It doesn't work that way. 🤦🏻‍♂️

The EU has got a trade surplus to lose with us, but don't exaggerate.
    The example was deliberately extreme as I mentioned.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

We are talking about relative strength, and perhaps you would have been triggered a bit less if CHB had written "In any negotiation there is a stronger party and a weaker party."

Yes the Monaco question does nail it. Monaco are far stronger than the EU.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited August 2020
    @Casino_Royale is at least a relatively balanced view, even if I disagree with him on mostly everything, normally. Others are just off the wall and completely down the rabbit hole.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

We cannot have an Irish style head of state, we are a permanent UN Security Council member and a G7 and G20 member unlike Ireland, we would at least have to have a President the equivalent of Macron in pomp, security detail and residences and powers to reflect our status.

I have nothing against the president of Ireland but barely anyone has heard of him outside Ireland and he raises no revenue
    And cost very little, ideal. The tourist will come for the history. Who cares if people know who the head of state is, I bet most UK citizens couldn’t name more than five PM’s world wide let alone heads of state.
  • Options

If the taxpayer is to fund FTTP, we should have ownership of the asset. Unlike FTTC where we just threw the money at BT and said "here"

So do you want to cut education, health, defence or something else to fund all the extra money and reduced taxes your proposal will cause?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1297938133397450753

Yes it is easy to build on the back of Obama's economy

The debates, if they happen, will be must see TV.

But will they?
    It'd be fun to hear a politician one day say "These elections are not very important, not like the ones we had last time, but vote anyway if you want".
  • Options

So do you want to cut education, health, defence or something else to fund all the extra money and reduced taxes your proposal will cause?
    Why not just print the money, it's what BoJo is doing anyway
  • Options
    In all seriousness, borrowing to fund FTTP seems like a completely sensible decision to me. I don't know who could not support it.

Why if we borrow money, should we not have ownership of the asset? Why does BT get to own it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Versailles is in the ile de France, part of the Paris region
    Its in Ile de France, it is not in Paris. It is an hour from Paris.

And I note you failed to answer the question. Which gets more annual tourists? Versailles, Buckingham or Windsor? If our monarchy was a tourism pull then we would be getting more tourists so do we or does Versailles get more?
  • Options
    I am curious, is anyone here not supportive of FTTP for all?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

And cost very little, ideal. The tourist will come for the history. Who cares if people know who the head of state is, I bet most UK citizens could name more than five PM’s world wide let alone heads of state.
    They will net less to the Treasury than the royals because they will not earn billions in revenue. We would have to have a President the equivalent of Macron at least to reflect our power and status, especially post Brexit.

Virtually everybody worldwide knows who the Queen is, virtually nobody outside Ireland knows who the Irish President is
  • Options

In all seriousness, borrowing to fund FTTP seems like a completely sensible decision to me. I don't know who could not support it.

Why if we borrow money, should we not have ownership of the asset? Why does BT get to own it?

Because it would cost us more money to purchase Openreach.
    It would make Openreach less productive.
    It would generate fewer taxes.

There is no good reason to do that.

If we want to pay to incentivise FTTP then we would be paying for a service not an asset which can be done at a fraction of the cost - and Openreach can competitively tender for that at a fraction of the cost. Why would you spend far more money to do it a different way?

And that's before getting into whether universal FTTP is even a good idea, which it probably isn't given 5G and Satellite Internet developments.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Have you been to any of those places? I've only seen Windsor from the outside, but B Palace is like a 5 star hotel in East Berlin in 1985 only shabbier and not so funny. I don't think de-monarching it is going to enhance its appeal as much as you think it is.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

And I note you failed to answer the question. Which gets more annual tourists? Versailles, Buckingham or Windsor? If our monarchy was a tourism pull then we would be getting more tourists so do we or does Versailles get more?
    It is in the Paris metropolitan area.

Versailles is only one palace, Fontainebleu is the traditional Royal Palace with the exception of Louis 14th to 16th and was also Napoleon's and gets fewer visitors than Buckingham or Windsor.

However that is irrelevant as it is royal weddings and jubilees and coronations which the royal family brings in billions in revenue for, historic palaces make no difference monarchy or republic
  • Options

@CarlottaVance

I'm a Brexiteer. I think both the UK and the EU (not just the UK, and not just the EU either) are being pricks over the full FTA.

State Aid and Fish (WTF?) are silly hills to die-on for a full FTA that is in both parties interests, and where both have come so far already.

Both need to put their cocks away, get round the negotiating table, eat some humble pie where necessary, and do a f--king deal.

If Fish is such a silly hill to die on, then why are the EU intent on dying on it?

Fish is hugely totemic and important way, way beyond its economic significance. For both sides

If the UK concedes control of our waters, then whatever the merits of the case, the political impact will quite simply be colossal.

Discontent with the tory government is building among the the brexit faithful. You can sense it on the twitter feeds, the call in programmes, the comments below the Mail articles.

A bad brexit that betrays the brexiteers' idea of the sturdy honest British trawler man is lethal for the tories. Lethal.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,481

@CarlottaVance

Of course you do, because if we end up crashing out pretty much everything you have posted here over the past year is going to look pretty ridiculous.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,439

PB Rule No 1

I profoundly disagree. It’s much easier to play the organ in your dressing gown. It allows for a nice wide spreading of the legs.
  • Options

If we want to pay to incentivise FTTP then we would be paying for a service not an asset which can be done at a fraction of the cost - and Openreach can competitively tender for that at a fraction of the cost. Why would you spend far more money to do it a different way?

And that's before getting into whether universal FTTP is even a good idea, which it probably isn't given 5G and Satellite Internet developments.
    5G and satellite will never match or out-compete FTTP, to suggest otherwise shows a complete lack of knowledge.

I'm not suggesting in this case we do purchase Openreach, I am suggesting if we are to get Openreach to build a nationwide FTTP network (which we should do), we should co-finance it in a new joint company where the Government gives the majority of the funding but retains ownership of at least part/all of the asset.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes the Monaco question does nail it. Monaco are far stronger than the EU.
    Is there any level of granularity at which this argument fails? I ask because it's just occurred to me that I am richer per capita than the EU. If I am therefore stronger, what should I be asking for?
  • Options
    The idea satellite with its latency, or 5G will ever match FTTP is for the birds.

To have 5G on anything like the scale or speed of FTTP, you'd need to have micro-sites near every home, nobody is ever going to allow that.

FTTP can run underground in existing ducts or via telegraph poles.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

It is in the Paris metropolitan area.

Versailles is only one palace, Fontainebleu is the traditional Royal Palace with the exception of Louis 14th and gets fewer visitors than Buckingham or Windsor.

However that is irrelevant as it is royal weddings and jubilees and coronations which the royal family brings in billions in revenue for, historic palaces make no difference monarchy or republic
    So that’s why they keep breeding? There had to be a reason
  • Options
    5G is not a goer for nationwide 1Gb+ broadband, everyone knows that, I can assure you.
  • Options

So they can make and sell stuff cheaper than we can - how is that to our advantage?
  • Options
    France gets more visitors than the UK because it is centrally surrounded by most of the richest countries in Europe, simples. It’s an easy drive or train trip from much of Spain, northern Italy, switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Holland, and the southern UK.

The UK is by comparison a lot more hassle to get to.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

And cost very little, ideal. The tourist will come for the history. Who cares if people know who the head of state is, I bet most UK citizens could name more than five PM’s world wide let alone heads of state.
    They will net less to the Treasury than the royals because they will not earn billions in revenue. We would have to have a President the equivalent of Macron at least to reflect our power and status, especially post Brexit.

Virtually everybody worldwide knows who the Queen is, virtually nobody outside Ireland knows who the Irish President is
    An Irish style president would sum up our global position post brexit perfectly.
  • Options

The depths to which our corrupt voting system will sink never cease to amaze.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

So the one EU country with whom we do have a trade surplus has us by the short and curlies?
    PS it's Ireland.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

An Irish style president would sum up our global position post brexit perfectly.
    For the left who hate their own country and its traditions and want us just to be a region of a Federal EU of course, fortunately the left were trounced at the general election last year and we have a Tory government with an 80 seat majority
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The depths to which our corrupt voting system will sink never cease to amaze.
    Ha, good one
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Sean_F said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Equal my arse

GDP per capita?
    Median household income?
    Median wages?

I think that's correct, but I think indifference is more likely than hostility. What we want, and what most European politicians want, are just not compatible. People have talked about the EU's coronavirus fund as being their "Hamilton moment." Their dream, our nightmare.

What it comes down to in the end, is that like the Russians, we view WWII very differently to most European politicians. For us a brutal test which we and the Russians passed. For the rest, the point where their systems of governance failed.
    That seems reasonable, although I think there's also a desire in this country not to be caught up in grandiose schemes cooked up in distant capitals. Indeed, contrary to a lot of the rather off-beam attempts at analysis that followed the Leave vote, I don't think it was motivated to any significant degree by imperial nostalgia - quite the reverse. The EU itself is an empire-building project; the typical Leave voter is probably rather more interested in enjoying a quiet life.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    There's a lot of New York Real Estate types who are tugging their collars nervously. They are worried that Trump is about to fuck it up for all of them by having a spot light shone on their blatantly illegal activity (properties having wildly different value depending on the form being filed in).
  • Options
    I am not knocking SpaceX as a technology either - but it's nowhere close to delivering 1Gb and beyond and it simply will not scale as FTTP can.

5G as I say in theory could work but Vodafone (source: myself) amongst others concluded about three years ago 5G would never be a goer for 1Gb across the country.

You would need to more than double the amount of sites and with NIMBYism you'll never get them all built.

The biggest problem with 5G is for 1Gb+ speeds you need very high frequency and the range on it is terrible. You'd have to in effect put them on top of every telegraph pole to get anything close to resembling FTTP speed. You'd have to lay the fibre or use microwave (which cuts the speed) and it falls down very quickly.

For large cities yes, for the countryside absolutely not.

Openreach and UK Gov have accepted that, it's one of the few wise decisions BT has made lately.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    On topic

Punters who think POTUS 2020 is POTUS 2016 fail to comprehend:

1. This is not Hilary Clinton, one of the most divisive candidates you could put up
    2. Biden is way more Common Joe than Clinton i.e relatable
    3. Clinton won the popular vote and the idea that Trump or the GOP has advanced since has no notable back up
    4. The polling evidence suggests that swing voters are not with Trump. His base though solid has precious little froth to reach to the top of the pint glass.
    5. Biden is a highly optimistic guy, Trump is not. What do you think will play?

Could it go wrong for the Democrats? Yes but only if they balls it up, its not the GOPs to take away.

Alex Navalny. So the doctors reports in Russia weren't complete bull. The other day I suggested that Navalny's symptoms looked like organo-phosphate poisoning . German doctors suggest exposure to a cholinesterase inhibitor, a key effect of organo phosphates. If that's what was used, they are fantastic personal kill weapon. Often the most severe symptoms can fade once exposure is lost but the impacts can go on..and on...so even if you live it will often just keep hurting
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

For the left who hate their own country and its traditions and want us just to be a region of a Federal EU of course, fortunately the left were trounced at the general election last year and we have a Tory government with an 80 seat majority
    I think I’m a moderate centrist would never vote labour in its current corrupt union financed offering and couldn’t vote Tory who’s major protagonists are only there to protect certain wealthy vested interests. But everybody thinks they represent the centre.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Have you been to any of those places? I've only seen Windsor from the outside, but B Palace is like a 5 star hotel in East Berlin in 1985 only shabbier and not so funny. I don't think de-monarching it is going to enhance its appeal as much as you think it is.
    I've been to Versailles and the Louvre in France, to Edinburgh Castle in Scotland. Walked past Buckingham Palace but not been into it - if we were a Republic I would have paid to go in, just like did to get into Versailles.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    HYUFD said:

twitter.com/GrantTucker/status/1297952505989603329

No surprise there then

twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1297960436609028096?s=20
    :D:D:D

Have we really reached that level of sh*te were Boris & Co believe patriotic music will strike fear into Johnny Forriner and make the UK supreme uber alles?

Things must be worse than I thought. What a bunch of scoundrels.... ;)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    Alistair said:

There's a lot of New York Real Estate types who are tugging their collars nervously. They are worried that Trump is about to fuck it up for all of them by having a spot light shone on their blatantly illegal activity (properties having wildly different value depending on the form being filed in).
    How many pardons is he allowed?
  • Options

Make Openreach less productive?

Seriously?

They could only be less productive if they were actually cutting phone lines and blowing up telegraph poles.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442

@CarlottaVance

If Fish is such a silly hill to die on, then why are the EU intent on dying on it?

Fish is hugely totemic and important way, way beyond its economic significance. For both sides

If the UK concedes control of our waters, then whatever the merits of the case, the political impact will quite simply be colossal.

Discontent with the tory government is building among the the brexit faithful. You can sense it on the twitter feeds, the call in programmes, the comments below the Mail articles.

A bad brexit that betrays the brexiteers' idea of the sturdy honest British trawler man is lethal for the tories. Lethal.
    hasn't even Barnier said that fish is a stupid hill for the EU to be fighting on?

State aid is another matter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Why would you have ‘new’ orchestral arrangements of orchestral pieces?

Utter madness.
This discussion has been closed.