Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Biden-Trump betting narrows as the Democratic convention,

SystemSystem Posts: 11,009
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Biden-Trump betting narrows as the Democratic convention, now virtual, opens

WH2020 The Biden-Trump betting narrows as the Convention, now virtual opens online. Chart @betdatapolitics pic.twitter.com/UgSuyvEQzG

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    First!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    Second, like Trump.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Biggest palatial betting event of all time, surely?

Does the hacker keep changing it or is there a cache that needs clearing or something?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    The only reasons I can see for Trump's odds improving in the last days are his open attempts to cripple the postal service. Punters are rightly taking this seriously.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    The Dems will get little boost from a virtual Convention. Indeed even real Conventions seem to produce relatively little in the way of bounce these days, stripped of all meaning and substance they have become rather empty affairs.

The upside is that Trump almost certainly needs these sort of events even more. He feeds off his crowds and hones his messages by how they respond. He looked utterly despondent when his last rally turned into a damp squib and for good reasons. He does not want to campaign by being interviewed by a largely hostile media day after day. He needs that direct link with his base and I am not sure how he is going to replace it.
  • Options
    My wife is going in for an operation today. I have to have her at the hospital by 7.30, hence the early start. The indications are that the NHS are still a million miles from capacity or normality. She was tested for Covid on Friday at a largely empty but well staffed testing station. The NHS really needs to get back to the day job.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53796434

The prime minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern, has postponed the country's general election by a month amid a spike in coronavirus cases.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

My wife is going in for an operation today. I have to have her at the hospital by 7.30, hence the early start. The indications are that the NHS are still a million miles from capacity or normality. She was tested for Covid on Friday at a largely empty but well staffed testing station. The NHS really needs to get back to the day job.

Best wishes for her.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Coronavirus: every day we get new headlines about how we have “record cases” as the “virus continues to grow”, as if this is somehow unexpected. It’s a PANDEMIC! You know what happens with pandemics? A huge proportion of the population/planet get it!

It is estimated that 1/3 of the planet got Swine flu in 2010. Imagine if we had been reporting daily on the number of people getting that, and operating a reporting basis that any one dying and/or hospitalised with a positive test was dying and/or hospitalised because of that virus! I think it’s fair to say that far more deaths would have been attributed to it than actually were!

Whilst i’m not necessarily disputing that Covid is probably dangerous than Swine Flu, has anyone stopped to ask the question WHY the vastly huge majority of those dying are elderly and/or with serious existing health conditions, whilst huge numbers of young/healthy are barely affected at all? Could it possibly be that in many cases COVID is not causing their deaths?

What would the “excess deaths” be in a normal year if we effectively shut hospitals down for six months? Possibly somewhat higher than normal...?

As I say, the pandemic infecting most people should probably be assumed by governments. If they deciding to make this basic assumption and actually started focusing more on health outcomes (across all areas) how might the policies change?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    DavidL said:

The Dems will get little boost from a virtual Convention. Indeed even real Conventions seem to produce relatively little in the way of bounce these days, stripped of all meaning and substance they have become rather empty affairs.

The upside is that Trump almost certainly needs these sort of events even more. He feeds off his crowds and hones his messages by how they respond. He looked utterly despondent when his last rally turned into a damp squib and for good reasons. He does not want to campaign by being interviewed by a largely hostile media day after day. He needs that direct link with his base and I am not sure how he is going to replace it.

His press conferences have pretty well tuned into rallies, if you listen to what he spews. But with smaller and tougher audiences.

He gets to jet off steam, and they do get widespread coverage.

Best wishes for the op.

Regarding the emptying hospitals, how much of that is now down to patients being reluctant to go in, and how much to the NHS ?
    Clearly there is a significant reduction in capacity owing to COVID measures, but it can’t just be that ?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Even in its own skewed terms, Ofqal seems to have failed.

A-level grades 'drop below three-year average', new analysis suggests
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53799860

This is abysmal:
    ...The Sixth Form Colleges Association (SFCA) said it looked at 65,000 exam entries in 41 subjects from sixth form colleges and found that grades were 20% lower than historic performances for similar students in those colleges....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,931
    DavidL said:

All the very best, Mr L.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,971
    Good morning, everyone.

Hope it all goes well, Mr. L.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Reading the lengthy Ofqal document, it seems to be very heavy on rhetorical justification of its statistical approach, and pretty light on the statistics.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/909368/6656-1_Awarding_GCSE__AS__A_level__advanced_extension_awards_and_extended_project_qualifications_in_summer_2020_-_interim_report.pdf

Anyone with statistical chops got the time and inclination to wade through it ?
    (I suspect one reason it’s several hundred pages long is to discourage such an effort.)
  • Options
    Palatial Betting has to be something that would be of interest to Trump surely?

https://twitter.com/nigel_farage/status/797584449047265281
  • Options
    Best wishes for Mrs L.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

His press conferences have pretty well tuned into rallies, if you listen to what he spews. But with smaller and tougher audiences.

Best wishes for the op.

Regarding the emptying hospitals, how much of that is now down to patients being reluctant to go in, and how much to the NHS ?
    Clearly there is a significant reduction in capacity owing to COVID measures, but it can’t just be that ?
    My wife has an on-going small and apparently non-malignant dermatological problem. She had one growth removed early this year, privately. What with one thing and another, upwards of £1k, mainly the dermatologist's time and skill.
    Now it's recurred and the GP said she needs a further consultant review...... no, needn't pay that sort of money; I'll refer you.
    So we had a call from an appointment booking service..... you can go to.... naming four reasonably local centres. OK.... naming the most convenient. Not, sorry, nothing in the foreseeable. OK, another. Same.
    Turns out there's NO possibility of a dermatologist appointment this year in Mid or N Essex.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

There are some reluctant patients, but mostly it is reduced capacity from the requirement for Social Distancing, and the PPE/cleaning requirements for procedures and operations.

My dept is running at about 50% capacity.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

There are some reluctant patients, but mostly it is reduced capacity from the requirement for Social Distancing, and the PPE/cleaning requirements for procedures and operations.

I'd hope high cleaning standards would be the norm at the best of times anyway?

Maybe if this gets maintained we'll see a reduction in MRSA etc and not just COVID19?
  • Options
    Thanks for putting me right, OKK & Foxy.
    That’s both interesting and potentially worrying for a lot of people.
  • Options
    kamski said:

The only reasons I can see for Trump's odds improving in the last days are his open attempts to cripple the postal service. Punters are rightly taking this seriously.

No, there's a strong CNN poll for him just out. Other recent polls have also been sort of ok for him, so the CNN figures may be reflecting a trend; it's not strong but I would have expected to see Biden pulling away by now and he's not.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Maybe if this gets maintained we'll see a reduction in MRSA etc and not just COVID19?
    Surface cleaning is not the biggest problem, it is the aerosol generating procedures that slow everything down. Basically everything involving an anaesthetist takes twice as long as it used to do so.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Surface cleaning is not the biggest problem, it is the aerosol generating procedures that slow everything down. Basically everything involving an anaesthetist takes twice as long as it used to do so.
    Do hospital acquired infections like MRSA spread just via surfaces or do they spread via aerosols too?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

It is also the fact that many GP surgeries are still refusing to see people, therefore are not referring people to hospital
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867

• Options

The usual PB advice is to lay the shit out of Blenheim, but Scone at 20/1 looks value.
  • Options
    I have to say I've never had a remarkably high opinion of dermatology. In my experience patients rarely die..... although there are potentially fatal skin conditions. Equally, they take for ever to recover from whatever it is.

For an NHS positive, I've recently been discharged by the Prostate Cancer clinic; now down to six monthly blood tests, and the GP to review and refer if necessary. But the Registrar, when we had the phone consultation, said he didn't expect I'd be back.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Here’s a random crazy thought. How about anyone involved in routine surgery, surgeons, supporting operating staff and patients are all required to have taken, and passed a COVID test at most 1 week prior to the operation. And we actually try to get hospitals getting back to near full capacity...

And we start thinking again on the basis of risk assessment and not “COVID is the greatest threat to mankind since the Black Death”
  • Options
    Congratulations on the discharge OKC.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Here’s a random crazy thought. How about anyone involved in routine surgery, surgeons, supporting operating staff and patients are all required to have taken, and passed a COVID test at most 1 week prior to the operation. And we actually try to get hospitals getting back to near full capacity...

And we start thinking again on the basis of risk assessment and not “COVID is the greatest threat to mankind since the Black Death”
    A week before? What happens if someone acquires the infection after their test and then comes in asymptomatically.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

kamski said:

No, there's a strong CNN poll for him just out. Other recent polls have also been sort of ok for him, so the CNN figures may be reflecting a trend; it's not strong but I would have expected to see Biden pulling away by now and he's not.
    Biden is on 51% in the 538 poll tracker, which is pretty much his high watermark. Trump has, however, improved off his lows.

See: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/national/
  • Options

Congratulations on the discharge OKC.

Thanks.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

Biden is on 51% in the 538 poll tracker, which is pretty much his high watermark. Trump has, however, improved off his lows.

Guessing this is Don't Knows opting for a candidate then since they're not excluded in US polls?

Historically do Don't Knows tend to go more towards the incumbent or the challenger when a POTUS seeks re-election? Or do they split relatively evenly?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Um, pre-procedure testing already happens. Obviously.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nigelb said:

Reading the lengthy Ofqal document, it seems to be very heavy on rhetorical justification of its statistical approach, and pretty light on the statistics.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/909368/6656-1_Awarding_GCSE__AS__A_level__advanced_extension_awards_and_extended_project_qualifications_in_summer_2020_-_interim_report.pdf

(I suspect one reason it’s several hundred pages long is to discourage such an effort.)

I haven't read the whole thing myself but have seen the extract where they talk about their back testing and the back testing isn't right, they don't test the same thing as what they claim their model does. And they back test using as their test data a portion of their training data.

That is insane
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2020
    QAnon is the new Tea Party. Send post.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Do hospital acquired infections like MRSA spread just via surfaces or do they spread via aerosols too?
    No, MRSA is a surface contaminant. It is pretty rare now, we only get a dozen or so cases a year in my Trust.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

A week before? What happens if someone acquires the infection after their test and then comes in asymptomatically.
    What if, what if, what if...?

Somebody having surgery can be advised to limit contact with other people in the lead up to an operation. Somebody who has tested negative is very unlikely to contract the virus in any specific week, especially at current levels of virus circulation in the population. Somebody having routine surgery is very unlikely to come into contact with many people in a hospital other than the clinical staff treating them (and anyone else - well all the current procedures Foxy is referring to would be irrelevant anyway). The clinical staff will all be wearing full PPE...

At what point are we allowed to ask how many people are dying because hospitals aren't running at full capacity...?

All i'm calling for is risk assessment, proportionate in scale to other managed risks that are run every day in every hospital on a routine basis. An outbreak of legionnaires disease. MRSA. E-coli in food. Dodgy batch of medicine. Not the Black Death.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

No, MRSA is a surface contaminant. It is pretty rare now, we only get a dozen or so cases a year in my Trust.
    Thanks Dr Foxy. Makes sense.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Are you proposing testing every day then?
    What is the current practice for testing medical staff testing in the UK?
    If there is little testing of medical staff, then the problem is significantly worse than if testing once a week.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Yes, to be honest i know that. So it comes down to whether the procedures being put in place are proportionate to the risks faced, given the negative consequences (which surely nobody denies) of running hospitals at 50% operation.

A question - under what circumstances is it likely that somebody, somewhere will actually decide that the risk suppression is having a negative affect on overall clinical outcomes throughout the population, and COVID needs to be managed just like anything else?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

It is also the fact that many GP surgeries are still refusing to see people, therefore are not referring people to hospital
    I think that GP surgeries closing down has been one of the biggest mistakes in the UK. I speak as someone who had to visit my GP (in Germany) a few times since April.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

All planned admissions and any GA daycare get screened 48 hours before admission, but that doesn't negate the need for PPE as the swabs have a high false negative rate.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Does the hacker keep changing it or is there a cache that needs clearing or something?

Did it ever get fixed? Is @rcs1000 on the case or even aware?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

I think that GP surgeries closing down has been one of the biggest mistakes in the UK. I speak as someone who had to visit my GP (in Germany) a few times since April.
    The NHS is protecting itself, just like any bureaucracy. Some of my elderly relatives cannot get treatment for any of their ongoing conditions whereas my GP either has a bone-headed receptionist or the doctor from Catch 22.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

I haven't read the whole thing myself but have seen the extract where they talk about their back testing and the back testing isn't right, they don't test the same thing as what they claim their model does. And they back test using as their test data a portion of their training data.

That is insane
    " And they back test using as their test data a portion of their training data."

In data analysis terms that is a huge and basic mistake.

• Options
    eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

If there is little testing of medical staff, then the problem is significantly worse than if testing once a week.
    We have all been tested on a single occasion for antibodies. No plans for staff swabbing that I am aware of, though the private hospitals do.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

Guessing this is Don't Knows opting for a candidate then since they're not excluded in US polls?

Historically do Don't Knows tend to go more towards the incumbent or the challenger when a POTUS seeks re-election? Or do they split relatively evenly?
    Don't knows tend to break 60:40 for the incumbent, although there may be a shy Trump factor this time.

Still, if biden does get North of 51%, it's hard to see him losing. He's tracking about 4-5 points above where Ms Clinton was in 2016.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That is insane
    One thing that seems really ridiculous is the situation with some pupils seemingly being randomly assigned "U"s or similar. Among all but the most useless or disinterested students I imagine a U (or very unexpectly poor mark) is often not remotely a sign of ability, but a consequence of random events on the day. The sort of event that can affect a normally straight A student as must as a borderline C/D student. Sometimes more so, because a straight A student is possibly more likely to panic when confronted with something they haven't properly been prepared for, and has more to lose.

No algorithm should be randomly giving people Us because it can have almost no basis for doing so. It can't rely on teacher's rankings because such outcomes in normal exam life won't easily follow ability like that. I imagine the algorithm has looked at schools, noted they normally get a percentage of Us every year, and then just given them out in proportion. Which is an absurd way to decide a pupil's future life. At least if they have had a panic on the day, they can rationalise the outcome (even if not truly reflective of their potential) and own it to some extent. But to be given a U by a computer!!!
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Did it ever get fixed? Is @rcs1000 on the case or even aware?
    Aware, just haven't sorted it yet.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Trump has not aged well in four years, has he?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

All planned admissions and any GA daycare get screened 48 hours before admission, but that doesn't negate the need for PPE as the swabs have a high false negative rate.
    Of course it doesn't "negate" the need for PPE. But the question effectively being asked is whether the current procedures are being implemented with ONE purpose - reduce the risk of COVID out of hospitals to an absolute minimum. Even if reducing capacity to a level which creates compensating negative clinical outcomes. Because if this true, and the difference is material, then the risk of COVID must be allowed to rise to enable the others to fall.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited August 2020
    I'm slightly uneasy about the difference between the Biden-Harris approval polling and the narrowing in the betting between Biden-Trump. I don't like things like that.

Before CV-19 I thought Trump was a shoo-in. That has been turned upside down by events.

My sense, but I'm edgy on this, is that Biden is going to turn out by chance to have been an utter stroke of genius as the choice. What do you most want in a national, international, crisis? A volatile loon or a safe pair of hands?

That's why Joe will probably win.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

Don't knows tend to break 60:40 for the incumbent, although there may be a shy Trump factor this time.

Still, if biden does get North of 51%, it's hard to see him losing. He's tracking about 4-5 points above where Ms Clinton was in 2016.
    "Don't knows tend to break 60:40 for the incumbent, "
    You need to be careful here, if incumbents on average win 55:45, then an average of 60:40 don't know break will be more or less the same as a basic proportional allocation. On top of that probably quite a high proportion of don't knows will end up not voting, as "don't know" will correlate highly with "not very motivated".
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,661
    Scott_xP said:
    Even Grant Shapps didnt fancy lying his head off for this one.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Of course it doesn't "negate" the need for PPE. But the question effectively being asked is whether the current procedures are being implemented with ONE purpose - reduce the risk of COVID out of hospitals to an absolute minimum. Even if reducing capacity to a level which creates compensating negative clinical outcomes. Because if this true, and the difference is material, then the risk of COVID must be allowed to rise to enable the others to fall.
    We follow NICE guidance, who supposedly take all cost efficacy into their assessment.

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng179

The entire NHS England is operating under Command and Control still, with no real local autonomy. Look upwards if you want to apportion blame.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That is insane
    One thing that seems really ridiculous is the situation with some pupils seemingly being randomly assigned "U"s or similar. Among all but the most useless or disinterested students I imagine a U (or very unexpectly poor mark) is often not remotely a sign of ability, but a consequence of random events on the day. The sort of event that can affect a normally straight A student as must as a borderline C/D student. Sometimes more so, because a straight A student is possibly more likely to panic when confronted with something they haven't properly been prepared for, and has more to lose.

No algorithm should be randomly giving people Us because it can have almost no basis for doing so. It can't rely on teacher's rankings because such outcomes in normal exam life won't easily follow ability like that. I imagine the algorithm has looked at schools, noted they normally get a percentage of Us every year, and then just given them out in proportion. Which is an absurd way to decide a pupil's future life. At least if they have had a panic on the day, they can rationalise the outcome (even if not truly reflective of their potential) and own it to some extent. But to be given a U by a computer!!!
    I hope you are making this up.
    Any system that just randomly assigns "U" grades without good reason is a disgrace. Because some people think the whole procedure is a disgrace is not enough imply what you are claiming.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

My wife has an on-going small and apparently non-malignant dermatological problem. She had one growth removed early this year, privately. What with one thing and another, upwards of £1k, mainly the dermatologist's time and skill.
    Now it's recurred and the GP said she needs a further consultant review...... no, needn't pay that sort of money; I'll refer you.
    So we had a call from an appointment booking service..... you can go to.... naming four reasonably local centres. OK.... naming the most convenient. Not, sorry, nothing in the foreseeable. OK, another. Same.
    Turns out there's NO possibility of a dermatologist appointment this year in Mid or N Essex.
    What your wife is experiencing with the NHS is endemic throughout it. Vast swathes of people are using Covid as a reason to not do their jobs. In this case what are the people who work in these dermatology centres doing all day if they are not seeing any patients.
    There are huge numbers of people in the NHS going to work each day and are doing nothing. My wife is one of them, she regularly comes home and says "yet another day when I have done nothing". She is a nurse on a ward.

The lunancy of shutting the NHS to protect it from Covid must be killing hundreds of people. Currently less than 1% of hospital beds are taken up with Covid yet we have shut the entire system beacuse of it.

This website provides an interesting snapshot of hospital data.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

The most startling one for me was the number of NHS staff who were off sick on the 8th August 2020.

Have a guess.

Its 60,367.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

We follow NICE guidance, who supposedly take all cost efficacy into their assessment.

"... cost efficacy ...." :D:D

Just what we need for a pandemic
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

What your wife is experiencing with the NHS is endemic throughout it. Vast swathes of people are using Covid as a reason to not do their jobs. In this case what are the people who work in these dermatology centres doing all day if they are not seeing any patients.
    There are huge numbers of people in the NHS going to work each day and are doing nothing. My wife is one of them, she regularly comes home and says "yet another day when I have done nothing". She is a nurse on a ward.

The lunancy of shutting the NHS to protect it from Covid must be killing hundreds of people. Currently less than 1% of hospital beds are taken up with Covid yet we have shut the entire system beacuse of it.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

The most startling one for me was the number of NHS staff who were off sick on the 8th August 2020.

Have a guess.

Its 60,367.
    Can you give us an average figure for being off sick on a Saturday in early August? Although the number sounds high, with no reference value, it means nothing.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Why "must" it?

When COVID rose the death totals rose and we had excess deaths. When COVID fell the death totals fell and we didn't have excess deaths. Controlling the virus saves lives.

If you want to be coldly logical and simply try and save lives then what the NHS is doing is working.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    DavidL said:

Good luck David, SHS definitely needs to get moving , my wife has been almost 3 months waiting for CT scan and no sign of when it will be and yet another appointment changed to a telephone call.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That is insane

Any system that just randomly assigns "U" grades without good reason is a disgrace. Because some people think the whole procedure is a disgrace is not enough imply what you are claiming.
    On what other basis can people be being given Us? By "random" i don't mean that it's completely random - it'll be following the algorithm.

But my point is that in any exam cohort there will be pupils who get unexpected Us (or very poor grades) on isolated papers, due to circumstances on the day. This is normally "random" in the sense that every teacher will know that there will probably be some pupils for whom this happens, but has almost no idea who it is going to happen to.

As the algorithm has tried to replicate past distribution of grades it has assigned "U" or very poor grades, to some pupils. But on what basis, who knows? Obviously it's going to be the exception rather than the rule, but across the entire country there will be unlucky kids. There was a case (obviously caveated as unverified) referenced on here year of a pupil who needed ABB for her university (which was presumably achievable or the Uni wouldn't have accepted her) who got ABU, and consequently couldn't apply anywhere!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

No, I think we’ve got the first website named by autocorrect.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

The entire NHS England is operating under Command and Control still, with no real local autonomy. Look upwards if you want to apportion blame.
    And, if you don't mind be asking - what is your view on that? NICE are presumably operating on a highly precautionary principle, because the evidence on COVID is so limited so is probably being "marked down". By the time it has been marked back up the damage will be permanent.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Its the least-bad solution in a year when no exams have taken place. Just hurry up and do this already England.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Have a guess.

Its 60,367.
    Can you give us an average figure for being off sick on a Saturday in early August? Although the number sounds high, with no reference value, it means nothing.
    Over a million staff, 60K sick. 6% ...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

Have a guess.

Its 60,367.
    TBH that chimes with what I`m hearing too. It is partly our peculiar national predelection to fetishise the NHS that has got us here.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

I'm not sure one CNN poll should move the betting that much. Currently Biden is 8.0% ahead nationally on the 538 average. A week ago he was 7.8% ahead. There's a bit of noise but his lead has been very stable for the last 3 weeks, while the betting has seen a bit of a rise in Trump's implied chances during this time.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818

I have to say I've never had a remarkably high opinion of dermatology. In my experience patients rarely die..... although there are potentially fatal skin conditions. Equally, they take for ever to recover from whatever it is.

For an NHS positive, I've recently been discharged by the Prostate Cancer clinic; now down to six monthly blood tests, and the GP to review and refer if necessary. But the Registrar, when we had the phone consultation, said he didn't expect I'd be back.

@OldKingCole
    Congratulations OKC, great news.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,934

Scott_xP said:
    Its the least-bad solution in a year when no exams have taken place. Just hurry up and do this already England.
    Great they've now completely screwed up this year's A level results, you can't have one rule for one set of exams and another for the other set of exams.

And this years A levels were also the new GCSE guinea pig year..
  • Options
    alex_ said:

eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That is insane

On what other basis can people be being given Us? By "random" i don't mean that it's completely random - it'll be following the algorithm.

But my point is that in any exam cohort there will be pupils who get unexpected Us (or very poor grades) on isolated papers, due to circumstances on the day. This is normally "random" in the sense that every teacher will know that there will probably be some pupils for whom this happens, but has almost no idea who it is going to happen to.

As the algorithm has tried to replicate past distribution of grades it has assigned "U" or very poor grades, to some pupils. But on what basis, who knows? Obviously it's going to be the exception rather than the rule, but across the entire country there will be unlucky kids. There was a case (obviously caveated as unverified) referenced on here year of a pupil who needed ABB for her university (which was presumably achievable or the Uni wouldn't have accepted her) who got ABU, and consequently couldn't apply anywhere!
    Its the teacher rankings that is the issue. The algorithm has treated the teacher rankings as divinely accurate then provided the results based on that as to what would be accurate.

Which is patently absurd! The issue with algorithms is if you put garbage in, you get garbage out. Unless the teachers were able to with the Wisdom of Solomon and Mystic Meg combined get the ranking in 100% the right order then anyone ranked lower than they should have been will be punitively getting a terrible grade from the algorithm. The average comes out fine because for everyone getting a terrible grade below what they should have got there is someone else getting a great grade above what they should have got - but that doesn't make things better or acceptable for those that have suffered. If there is any doubt as to the accuracy of the results then being reasonable the benefit of the doubt should go to the student.

That is insane. It should never have happened. The results are not accurate, they are not fair, they don't meet what has historically happened and averaging out errors by insisting two wrongs make a right is madness.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That is insane

"it has assigned "U" or very poor grades, to some pupils. But on what basis, who knows?"

- On the basis of the teacher-produced pupil ranking. If the algorithm says there should be a U in that subject at that particular school the lowest ranked pupil gets it.
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:
    Great they've now completely screwed up this year's A level results, you can't have one rule for one set of exams and another for the other set of exams.

I wouldn`t assume that the A level results will end up being the final ones.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

alex_ said:

eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That is insane

"it has assigned "U" or very poor grades, to some pupils. But on what basis, who knows?"

- On the basis of the teacher-produced pupil ranking. If the algorithm says there should be a U in that subject at that particular school the lowest ranked pupil gets it.
    Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Since when were teachers able to rank pupils 100% in the correct order with zero mistakes?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    malcolmg said:

@OldKingCole
    Congratulations OKC, great news.
    That's terrific! It must be a real lightening of the skies for you.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That is insane

Because 2 years ago a student left the exam after 10 minutes (never to return) so was awarded a U. The grading system deduced that U was the typical grade for the worst student in the year and then allocated that grade.

Allocating grades based on past years performance isn't a good idea - unless you are a Preston North End fan - who are now celebrating their 131st league title
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:
    Are you suggesting that we should screw up the GCSE results in order to maintain solidarity with the A Level results? Or achieve some sort of consistency?
  • Options
    To anybody in Europe thinking "Maybe we could still have a break in Spain...."

Fuckwits. RIP the Spanish tourism industry......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-53802226/coronavirus-hundreds-gather-in-madrid-for-anti-mask-protest
  • Options

alex_ said:

eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That is insane

Its the teacher rankings that is the issue. The algorithm has treated the teacher rankings as divinely accurate then provided the results based on that as to what would be accurate.

Which is patently absurd! The issue with algorithms is if you put garbage in, you get garbage out. Unless the teachers were able to with the Wisdom of Solomon and Mystic Meg combined get the ranking in 100% the right order then anyone ranked lower than they should have been will be punitively getting a terrible grade from the algorithm. The average comes out fine because for everyone getting a terrible grade below what they should have got there is someone else getting a great grade above what they should have got - but that doesn't make things better or acceptable for those that have suffered. If there is any doubt as to the accuracy of the results then being reasonable the benefit of the doubt should go to the student.

That is insane. It should never have happened. The results are not accurate, they are not fair, they don't meet what has historically happened and averaging out errors by insisting two wrongs make a right is madness.
    My point in the case of "U"s is that even if the teacher rankings weren't garbage, the algorithm would still fail. Because in normal times "U"s or unexpected poor individual results will strike randomly. It won't conveniently be the weakest pupil who will underperform. It might just as easily be the strongest pupil.
  • Options
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

I'm not sure one CNN poll should move the betting that much. Currently Biden is 8.0% ahead nationally on the 538 average. A week ago he was 7.8% ahead. There's a bit of noise but his lead has been very stable for the last 3 weeks, while the betting has seen a bit of a rise in Trump's implied chances during this time.
    I suspect the betting is moving based on concerns over the USPS and that Trump might pull out the stops to steal the election Belarus-style.

The terrible thing this year is we're not just betting on whom the electorate wants to vote for the most, but will they be able to do so freely. From the nation formerly known as the leader of the free world.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

They have blue and green pathways up here. A blue pathway says that you have been isolated for a fortnight before your op. That wasn't possible for my wife so she went on the green pathway which involved a Covid test on Friday with the result texted within 48 hours (hopefully the hospital got it because we didn't).

The test itself was pretty unpleasant, especially the prod up the nose. It's not hard to see either option, plus the perceived much higher risk of catching Covid in hospital rather than anywhere else, reducing the number opting for recommended but not critical surgery/consultations etc. My daughter also works at a local hospital. Her department, photobiology, has roughly 25% of the capacity that it had before as a result of the protocols which come pretty close to one in, one out.

It is astonishing that an NHS that was allegedly working beyond capacity with spiralling waiting lists, has been able to work like this for 5 months now without all hell breaking loose.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Best wishes for the op.

We have all been tested on a single occasion for antibodies. No plans for staff swabbing that I am aware of, though the private hospitals do.
    Might the new ultra low cost tests help ?
    Could be run daily, and give a result very quickly.

It might be possible to combine that with pre-hospital attendance quarantines for elective surgery ? Things like hip replacement operations have taken a massive hit.
  • Options
    "The UK does not accept the results of this fraudulent Presidential election & calls for an urgent investigation through @OSCE into its serious flaws & the grisly repression that followed."

Raab can cut and paste that for mid-November....
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That is insane

My point in the case of "U"s is that even if the teacher rankings weren't garbage, the algorithm would still fail. Because in normal times "U"s or unexpected poor individual results will strike randomly. It won't conveniently be the weakest pupil who will underperform. It might just as easily be the strongest pupil.
    That's what makes the teacher rankings garbage . . .

That's not a failing of the teachers, its a failing of the system designed. Teachers can't be expected to 100% accurately foretell the ranking of their pupils.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Good grief. This could end up being even worse for the government than ydoethur predicted weeks ago.

Seems to me that we have got to the point where Johnson needs to step in, over-rule Williamson, and do what Scotland did and award centre assessed grades where they are higher than the algorithm.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

I wouldn`t assume that the A level results will end up being the final ones.
    The damage has been done though - students who didn't get the grades on Thursday aren't going to the University they wanted to go to and even if they got a place they won't have anywhere to live..

Meanwhile the Education secretary does have a choice to make. Does he want Headmasters to spend the next 2 weeks getting a school ready to open in early September or completing 1000 appeal forms.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    Stocky said:

Seems to me that we have got to the point where Johnson needs to step in, over-rule Williamson, and do what Scotland did and award centre assessed grades where they are higher than the algorithm.

He would also need to sack him
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Even in its own skewed terms, Ofqal seems to have failed.

A-level grades 'drop below three-year average', new analysis suggests
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53799860

This is abysmal:
    ...The Sixth Form Colleges Association (SFCA) said it looked at 65,000 exam entries in 41 subjects from sixth form colleges and found that grades were 20% lower than historic performances for similar students in those colleges....

Gives room for successful appeals in appropriate cases. Unlike Scotland which started with a higher pass rate than normal and then went up, way up, from there beyond any credibility threshold.
  • Options
    The UK's Quangocracy really are having a shocker of a year.
  • Options

Stocky said:

alex_ said:

eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That is insane

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Since when were teachers able to rank pupils 100% in the correct order with zero mistakes?
    Well - since never - exactly - but I`d have a lot of faith that teachers will have a pretty good idea and that exam days generally produce few surprises to them. They`d never get it exactly right though. Too many variables.
This discussion has been closed.